PDA

View Full Version : It's Raining Hot Dog Heaven

canexplain
05-20-2008, 09:20 AM
Well according to CNN, Coney Island will officially shut down after this summer …. I went there a few times in the 60’s and 70’s … it was pretty cool back then (but back then, we would go up to the village, or wherever the Fillmore was, see Jimi, and then go to Coney island for an all night party, how can I not love those memories) … Tygerlady and myself were in the city a couple of years ago and went to Bright ? beach, a little ways from Coney, but we didn’t actually go to Coney island … it was funny because when we were in Harlem and talking to the locals, they said “are you kidding you went to Bright beach” but then we were in Harlem so that shows how we think……. I guess the only sad part for me is: that is another place that will end up just a bunch of condos … I know it sucks now, but by the time they are done, I bet you wont be able to get a place there for less then half a million … see it while you can kiddies, next it will be the Eiffel tower or something like that smashed up or turned into condos ….. X****

http://www.ireport.com/ir-topic-stories.jspa?topicId=22385

jackstraw94086
05-20-2008, 09:24 AM
brighton beach.

I still can't believe you actually saw Hendrix at the Fillmore. Perhaps it wasn't the BoG NYE shows but it's still cool. I have a bootleg of that show you saw. May 10, 1968.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/jackstraw94086/fillmore_east2.jpg

JustSteve
05-20-2008, 09:33 AM
looks like i will add that to the list of things to do around my apw visit.

captncrzy
05-20-2008, 09:58 AM
Yeah maybe I'll try to go this summer; always wanted to go, never made it.

canexplain
05-20-2008, 10:07 AM
brighton beach.

I still can't believe you actually saw Hendrix at the Fillmore. Perhaps it wasn't the BoG NYE shows but it's still cool. I have a bootleg of that show you saw. May 10, 1968.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/jackstraw94086/fillmore_east2.jpg

actually it was the new years eve show ... my friend (dead one :() swears he can hear himself yelling on a bootleg he had also ... and yes, if you are close, it is just one of those things you should do ... one day when a kid wants a hot dog, we will say "a coney?" and they will have no clue where that expression came from :( x****

amyzzz
05-20-2008, 10:08 AM
looks like i will add that to the list of things to do around my apw visit.
no kidding. was thinking the same thing.

marooko
05-20-2008, 10:56 AM
missed going in 05. need to try to make it now.

algunz
05-20-2008, 11:03 AM
In the early 90's Coney Island was pretty seedy. I'm assuming that it never really picked up from there.

It was a great place to drop acid.

canexplain
05-20-2008, 11:24 AM
In the early 90's Coney Island was pretty seedy. I'm assuming that it never really picked up from there.

It was a great place to drop acid.

yes and yes ....i kind of think of it like this .. if you go to mexico or say india, do you just want to see the tourist spots or do you want to see "real life" ... i go for the latter most every time (well until i go back to my condo lol) ... btw, i didnt want to start a new thread for this ("its DRIZZLING progressives) ... early prognosis, kennedy has 3 months to a year depending :( x****

leo01g
05-20-2008, 11:49 AM
This is a little bit off the topic but i went to go buy my groceries when i saw Nathan's hot dogs. I thought it was so cool, the closest i've gotten to the real thing was at Morongo where they have one. I know Nathan's is not in Coney but atleast it has to do with hot dogs

algunz
05-20-2008, 11:52 AM
I hate hot dogs, but I loved Coney Island.

BTW - "seedy" was never meant as a bad modifier.

leo01g
05-20-2008, 12:00 PM
algunz dont you like how nice it is outside right now? if you're in the OC . It sprinkled today! no 100 degree bs weather

fiyahhh!
05-20-2008, 12:00 PM
Fuck! Where are the Warriors gonna go now??

canexplain
05-20-2008, 12:45 PM
I hate hot dogs, but I loved Coney Island.

BTW - "seedy" was never meant as a bad modifier.

thats why i said "real life" and not something negative really ... although in most things i think, you dont like seeds ..... oranges, grapes, weed (unless you grow) but some things you do, dead sunflowers, most any flower i guess, nick cave and the seeds are good, the original sky saxon and the seeds were good (ie:pushin to hard ....After the dissolution of the Seeds, Sky Saxon joined the Yahowha religious sect, inspired by their divine leader Father Yod. Members of the sect went their separate ways after Father Yod died in a hang gliding accident in 1974) ... i guess if i had a personal religious leader, if he died in a hang gliding accident, i would later think that was pretty coo ...now that is really raining from the sky ....x****

algunz
05-20-2008, 12:47 PM
algunz dont you like how nice it is outside right now? if you're in the OC . It sprinkled today! no 100 degree bs weather

Yes, but that's just what makes this "nice" weather that much colder. Compared to this weekend, I am freezing right now.

algunz
05-20-2008, 12:49 PM
thats why i said "real life" and not something negative really ... although in most things i think, you dont like seeds ..... oranges, grapes, weed (unless you grow) but some things you do, dead sunflowers, most any flower i guess, nick cave and the seeds are good, the original sky saxon and the seeds were good (ie:pushin to hard ....After the dissolution of the Seeds, Sky Saxon joined the Yahowha religious sect, inspired by their divine leader Father Yod. Members of the sect went their separate ways after Father Yod died in a hang gliding accident in 1974) ... i guess if i had a personal religious leader, if he died in a hang gliding accident, i would later think that was pretty coo ...now that is really raining from the sky ....x****

Now this is definitely a stoner's train of thought. :lips

Tylerdurden31
05-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Coney Island isn't nearly as seedy anymore. It's still mostly a shithole...but like a really bad one. It's a big tourist attraction. At night it's probably not somewhere you wanna be, but during the day it's pretty safe.

TomAz
05-20-2008, 01:28 PM
wanna play football for the coach

algunz
05-20-2008, 01:30 PM
put me in coach

I'm ready to play

thelastgreatman
05-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Put it in her, Coach--you heard the lady.

algunz
05-20-2008, 01:35 PM
Now that sounds like hot dog heaven.

ivankay
05-20-2008, 01:37 PM
i have some vague memories of Coney Island from when i was 9. Summers my mom's doctor would prescribe "getting rid of the kids for the summer". So my brothers and i would go to New York to spend it with my aunt and uncle. One of the things to do in 77 was go to Coney. Nathan's...yum. The thing that sticks out for me is some weird House of Horrors with wax figure displays. Cool for a kid because of the monsters. The last display was the Phantom of the Opera. Not too scary in my opinion. But out of the blue, the figure of the Phantom lunged at us from behind his organ screaming like hell. my younger brother and i blasted out of the doors freaked the fuck out.

Hopefully i can visit before it closes.

canexplain
05-20-2008, 03:00 PM
i have some vague memories of Coney Island from when i was 9. Summers my mom's doctor would prescribe "getting rid of the kids for the summer". So my brothers and i would go to New York to spend it with my aunt and uncle. One of the things to do in 77 was go to Coney. Nathan's...yum. The thing that sticks out for me is some weird House of Horrors with wax figure displays. Cool for a kid because of the monsters. The last display was the Phantom of the Opera. Not too scary in my opinion. But out of the blue, the figure of the Phantom lunged at us from behind his organ screaming like hell. my younger brother and i blasted out of the doors freaked the fuck out.

Hopefully i can visit before it closes.

excellent pics please, we expect no less :) x****

ivankay
05-20-2008, 03:05 PM
excellent pics please, we expect no less :) x****

Ron, did you catch the Waters clip i got with you in mind?

gaypalmsprings
05-20-2008, 03:12 PM
I went there in the 60s with my family. The place was scary dead back then.

captncrzy
05-20-2008, 03:37 PM
GPS, I expected better from you. A pun, perhaps, on the joys of hot dogs and you being in heaven with hot dogs and whatnot.

JustSteve
05-20-2008, 03:56 PM
maybe he was still deciding between hot dogs or clams...

comiddle
05-20-2008, 07:23 PM
I shall put it on my list of things to do when I'm there in July.

TomAz
05-20-2008, 07:26 PM
put me in coach

I'm ready to play

did John Fogerty sing about Coney Island? no.

did Lou Reed? yes.

gaypalmsprings
05-20-2008, 08:12 PM
"reversal of fortune" - skip ahead to 5:00 minutes

_V-2NKUlzns

captncrzy
05-20-2008, 08:28 PM
ew. A Kobiashi reversal.

and that's what GPS does on Saturday nights.

ivankay
05-20-2008, 09:18 PM
"This will be the greatest moment in the history of American Sports, if Chestnut can bring the belt home to Coney Island!"

"Chestnut is a true American hero."

That's some good sports announcing.

kitt kat
05-20-2008, 09:39 PM
That guy is from San Jose. Hahaa!

gaypalmsprings
05-21-2008, 06:16 AM
http://www.mac-i.co.uk/bha/ytmac37.JPG

Ardentbiscuit
05-21-2008, 06:22 AM
Speaking of Hot Dog Heavens thet are gone, anyone remember Westward Ho and the frightening Mega Dog???

Wow, it terrified most people...

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r285/ardentbiscuit/187.jpg

canexplain
05-21-2008, 06:33 AM
Ron, did you catch the Waters clip i got with you in mind?

yep my friend, thats pretty darn cool .... x****

marooko
05-24-2008, 06:59 AM
http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10062/noidea839sr7.jpg (http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10062/noidea839sr7.jpg)

gaypalmsprings
05-24-2008, 07:02 AM
http://www.lolfunny.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/chinesefood.jpg