PDA

View Full Version : best horror movies you've ever seen

psychoc&ndy
05-19-2008, 11:28 PM
Ever since I was a kid, I've been fascinated with scary movies. The problem is, no movie truly scares me. I've been searching for some really really terrifying movies, you know, the kind where you are scarred for life after seeing. The only movie that has come close to me was The Exorcist. And I'm a big fan of the cult classics like Suspiria (Argento is a god), Evil Dead, The Shining, Dead Alive. Recommend me some frightening movies! (and/or good horror classics)
thanks

PassiveTheory
05-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Event Horizon.

Sunshine.

psychoc&ndy
05-19-2008, 11:33 PM
i saw sunshine last year on the opening night. fucking awesome, danny boyle doesn't get enough credit for how great his movies really are. i love 28 days later as well. what is event horizon though?

fasttrack
05-19-2008, 11:46 PM
when i was a kid, i was afraid of the nightmare on elm street movies. now, i just think they're funny. recently though, i got quite a scare out of audition. it's got the creepy/scary element without the comedy.

thelastgreatman
05-19-2008, 11:47 PM
It is still and always will be Return Of The Living Dead. Unless we're counting The Shining, which frankly we shouldn't--just not fair to grade other horror movies against Kubrick.

wmgaretjax
05-19-2008, 11:47 PM
The Shining

if not that

Rosemary's Baby

Mr.Nipples
05-20-2008, 12:17 AM
Vo4c4Fgc7rE&hl=en
Xiiomx7JDms&hl=en
PHcsLzLaWJ8&hl=en
Mk_TEbr7IGU&hl=en
YZPrbLpmZ1g&hl=en
1QPK-SNGn8I&hl=en

TonyWonder
05-20-2008, 05:20 AM
Audition - Takashi Miike
Eyes Without a Face - George Franju
Zodiac - David Fincher
Suspiria - Dario Argento
Rosemary's Baby - Roman Polanski
Delicatessen - Jean-Pierre Jeunet
The Shining - Kubrick
Evil Dead 2 - Sam Raimi
28 Weeks Later - Juan Carlos Fresnadillo
Shaun of the Dead - Edgar Wright

algunz
05-20-2008, 07:57 AM
This is a GREAT movie, but I wouldn't call it a scary one - more funny than scary.

The movie that will always scare me is Jaws. I think it stems from the fact that my parents took me to see it when I was about 7.

sbessiso
05-20-2008, 08:05 AM
is zodiac a horror movie?

TonyWonder
05-20-2008, 08:11 AM
This is a GREAT movie, but I wouldn't call it a scary one - more funny than scary.

The movie that will always scare me is Jaws. I think it stems from the fact that my parents took me to see it when I was about 7.

Yeah, it's a stretch but it's close enough that I had to include it. Jeunet fucking rules.

is zodiac a horror movie?

The scene with the couple in the park being bound is one of the most horrific scenes I've ever seen.

canexplain
05-20-2008, 08:21 AM
alien and i didnt think event horizon was scary at all ... x****

sbessiso
05-20-2008, 08:23 AM
The scene with the couple in the park being bound is one of the most horrific scenes I've ever seen.

yeah, but in a 2 1/2 hour long movie, a couple scenes of edge-of-your-seatness doesnt make it a horror does it?

i really did like the movie though, just never even once thought of it as "horror"

betao
05-20-2008, 08:24 AM
Alien is definitely one of the best.

TonyWonder
05-20-2008, 08:38 AM
yeah, but in a 2 1/2 hour long movie, a couple scenes of edge-of-your-seatness doesnt make it a horror does it?

i really did like the movie though, just never even once thought of it as "horror"

Yeah, it's more of a police procedural/thriller I suppose.

Horror can be difficult to define..stuff like Delicatessen, Evil Dead or Shaun of the Dead are funnier than they are scary but I still classify them as horror while I'm sure others don't.

Hopeless Semantic
05-20-2008, 08:41 AM
I don't know if it qualifies as a horror film, but The Serpent and the Rainbow was one that kinda freaked me out when I was younger...Also, the original Hellraiser and Phantasm were pretty good for mainstream fright flicks.

Lurker_in_a_tree
05-20-2008, 08:42 AM
http://www.cinemarts.com/itemimages/item_180_1.jpg
Potters Bluff is a nice place to visit.. but you wouldn't want to die there!

Vic Viper
05-20-2008, 08:43 AM
The Vanishing (Dutch title: Spoorloos), a Dutch movie in both French and Dutch.

Do NOT watch the English remake with Kiefer Sutherland. The original has a much better ending, and is overall a very creepy movie.

sbessiso
05-20-2008, 09:19 AM
i'll watch anything with kiefer though <33

Pixiessp
05-20-2008, 09:32 AM
since i am not much of a horror buff these may be lame:

Halloween (first one )
Alien
Hellraiser
Invasion of the body snatchers
Rosemary's baby

there are more I'm sure but these are the only ones that come to mind at the moment.

jigsaw
05-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Scream
I Spit on Your Grave
The Toxic Advenger
The Shinning
Pet Cemetary
Vacancy

psychoc&ndy
05-20-2008, 10:03 AM
Alien is definitely one of the best.

alien! one of my all time favorites, such an excellent movie.

and much thanks to everyone for the suggestions, i'll be checking alot of these out

amyzzz
05-20-2008, 10:06 AM
invasion of the bodysnatchers with donald sutherland (and margot kidder? or someone who looks like her). I need to watch that again sometime--tried to look for it at blockbuster with no luck.

whynotsmile99
05-20-2008, 10:12 AM
i like a lot of the ones that have been mentioned:

alien
event horizon scared the shit out of me first time I saw it when it came out
the shining of course

I had nightmares for a week when I was a kid and watched a videotaped copy of Candyman alone in my room. I dunno if it still holds up, but holy hell it was scary back then.

"The Cell" is also one of my favorites

bmack86
05-20-2008, 10:16 AM
Reefer Madness

algunz
05-20-2008, 10:18 AM
Poltergeist - that fucking clown and that goddamned tree scared the shit out of me.

Pixiessp
05-20-2008, 10:21 AM
invasion of the bodysnatchers with donald sutherland (and margot kidder? or someone who looks like her). I need to watch that again sometime--tried to look for it at blockbuster with no luck.

that's the one i was talking about. the girl is Brooke Adams I think.
try Netflix.

Veloco22
05-20-2008, 10:44 AM
the lost boys

unitedwestand
05-20-2008, 11:16 AM
Rose Red.
It was long but pretty epic & awesome
Also, I really hope The Happening is as scary as the previews make it out to be

betao
05-20-2008, 11:23 AM
The Thing definitely deserves to be on the list

thelastgreatman
05-20-2008, 11:25 AM
The Thing definitely deserves to be on the list

fucking WORD.

thelastgreatman
05-20-2008, 11:26 AM
Event Horizon.

Sunshine.

Event Horizon? I hate your fucking guts.

Bosco
05-20-2008, 11:38 AM
the first half of The Matrix is pretty horrifying...

I thought the first 'Saw' movie was pretty good too...

Poltergeist is my winner though...

Hopeless Semantic
05-20-2008, 11:58 AM
since i am not much of a horror buff these may be lame:

Halloween (first one )
Alien
Hellraiser
Invasion of the body snatchers
Rosemary's baby

there are more I'm sure but these are the only ones that come to mind at the moment.

Not lame by any stretch of the imagination...Esp. the original Halloween and for the most part the first 2 are still classics in the non D'Argento/Fulci genre =)

Ooh Rosemary's Baby...I once dated a girl who's mom was named Rosemary...and other familiy members would refer to her as Rosemary's Baby...Kinda irked me in a way.

Hopeless Semantic
05-20-2008, 11:59 AM
fucking WORD.

Fuckin Double Word...

Original one of course...

samiksha
05-20-2008, 11:59 AM
Re: The Shining

I thought the book was scarier than the movie

thelastgreatman
05-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Fuckin Double Word...

Original one of course...

Um... no. Not remotely. Carpenter's version. Keep that slow-moving 50s shit with the scary block of ice the FUCK out of the thread.

Bosco
05-20-2008, 12:15 PM
XhmEM8Q05Ww
(cant find english version)

clumsy342
05-20-2008, 12:15 PM
This may be unpopular, but ...
The Ring (re-make) scared the shit out of me.
Try to remember a time when it wasn't parodied to death.

Good choices so far.

Nu-Horror sucks balls, and I wish they would stop putting out complete shit.

But I am looking forward to The Strangers:
nCU0k_jbCUo

The trailer looks like a film I would make.
(though at the end it does sound like "because you're a ho" hahha)

Bosco
05-20-2008, 12:34 PM
S7zuMMuFjpA

Mr.Nipples
05-20-2008, 01:04 PM
http://www.goofbutton.com/images/no_comment_2.jpg

SFChrissy
05-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1978 version freaked me out when I was a kid...

http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/liquidflame/imgs/6/4/648d79c4.jpg

Pixiessp
05-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1978 version freaked me out when I was a kid...

http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/liquidflame/imgs/6/4/648d79c4.jpg

oh my god!!!!!! exactly!!

SFChrissy
05-20-2008, 01:36 PM
I saw hellbound Hellraiser II on acid when I was jr in HS...I thought it was funnier than scary...

http://www.pitofhorror.com/newdesign/hellraiser/images/kirstyfrank.jpg

roberto73
05-20-2008, 01:38 PM
I've never really understood the love for Argento's Suspiria. It's moody, sure, but I don't think I could ever find it frightening. Unless I had a phobia of heavy-handed lighting designs.

amyzzz
05-20-2008, 01:41 PM
I didn't like Suspiria either.

edit: although I like the Miranda Sex Garden album of the same name.

humanoid
05-20-2008, 02:30 PM
The Strangers preview is pretty damn creepy

scary movies I always liked were

Rosemary's Baby
In The Mouth of Madness...has anyone ever seen this? For some reason it terrified me

TonyWonder
05-20-2008, 02:37 PM
In The Mouth of Madness...has anyone ever seen this? For some reason it terrified me

Great movie!..saw it in the theater and it freaked me out the way it includes the audience in the end..creepy as hell and obviously inspired by HP Lovecraft. Saw it again recently and it hasn't aged well but it's still good.

jonnypark
05-20-2008, 03:20 PM
The Original Omen should be on the list if not for anything else than having the creepiest music out of any movie.

malcolmjamalawesome
05-20-2008, 03:33 PM
I must support theleastgreatman and say that Event Horizon is the most vile abortion of a fucking piece of shit sci fi horror movie of all time. My girlfriend told me that it was great and then we watched and it was so bad that I fucked her sister.

thelastgreatman
05-20-2008, 03:33 PM
So how was the wedding?

thelastgreatman
05-20-2008, 03:34 PM
Did it have a fuckload of choreographed spotlights? Did it?

amyzzz
05-20-2008, 03:34 PM
I like horror in space movies. Event Horizon is one of the better ones because of Laurence Fishburne, Sam Neill, and that fucking awesome soundtrack.

malcolmjamalawesome
05-20-2008, 03:38 PM
I like whore in space movies.

The wedding was a lot less like the Sahara Tent than I was expecting.

clumsy342
05-20-2008, 05:33 PM

That movie rules.

Sutter Cane!

MissingPerson
05-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Event Horizon had some good moments. Still love The Ring Remake, and yeah, I do think it was a better movie than the original. It's a proper piece of American Gothic all by itself, and I genuinely didn't expect it to go the way it did at the end. And I've never been in a cinema full of so many people that were so genuinely shit frightened as they were in that film, it was fantastic.

I think it's a shame that parody has eroded it and stuff like Blair Witch. Blair Witch is a fantastic film, but I think anybody going back to it now probably has trouble seeing it in the light it was intended.

The Thing is great. Love Hellraiser and Candyman. Ginger Snaps isn't very scary, but it's a great, smart film, right up until the end.

Oh, The Descent is fantastic, but make sure and see the Euro cut, because the American one doesn't make any sense at all. Silence of the Lambs remains the best Horror movie, and one of the best movies full-stop, I've ever seen.

I'm in the mood for a good werewolf film lately, any suggestions? I've seen American Werewolf, The Howling, Dog Soldiers... something rarer/good?

C DUB YA
05-20-2008, 06:08 PM
Some of my personal favorites:

Alien
The Shining
Dead Ringers
Rosemary's Baby
Audition
Gates of Hell
Scanners
Event Horizon
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
28 Days Later
Halloween
Halloween2
Psycho
Evil Dead 2
Lost Boys
The Thing
The Omen (1976)
Wickerman (1973)
Phantasm
Phantasm 2
Re-Animator
Ju-On
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
Silence of the Lambs
Jaws
The People Under the Stairs
The Decent
Hellraiser
Exorcist
In the Mouth of Madness
Day of the Dead (1985)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

and surprisingly - one I find really scary is Excorsist 3 (the one with George C Scott) it gets looked over all the time, but I find it most of it really good.

Geno_g
05-20-2008, 07:56 PM
http://www.animationstation.net/posterimages/T/Texas_Chainsaw_Massacre.jpg

http://www.lightviews.com/images/texas_chainsaw_2003_photo.JPG

roberto73
05-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Some of my personal favorites:

The Decent

Not nearly as scary as The Pretty Good, but way better than The Fairly Average.

Vic Viper
05-20-2008, 08:18 PM
http://www.animationstation.net/posterimages/T/Texas_Chainsaw_Massacre.jpg

Got twenty-fours of psychoholic magic,
Come on come on the motherfucker's on fire,
He cut through the bone, he cut through the wire

C DUB YA
05-20-2008, 08:29 PM
Not nearly as scary as The Pretty Good, but way better than The Fairly Average.

hahaha

that was awesome rob.

The Descent was indeed decent.

psychoc&ndy
05-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Um... no. Not remotely. Carpenter's version. Keep that slow-moving 50s shit with the scary block of ice the FUCK out of the thread.

yeah, john carpenters Thing is one of my all time favorite movies

http://www.moviesonline.ca/movie-gallery/albums/VGP-TheThing/VGP-TheThingRemake-12.jpg

can't get over how awesome this cover artwork is

http://www.impawards.com/1982/posters/thing.jpg

clumsy342
05-21-2008, 12:08 AM
I think it's a shame that parody has eroded it and stuff like Blair Witch. Blair Witch is a fantastic film, but I think anybody going back to it now probably has trouble seeing it in the light it was intended.

I can't believe I didn't think of this.
I really think the Blair Witch Project is one of the most genuinely frightening films ever made.

The opinions people have of this movie are SO polarized though.
Either you loved it and were truely scared,
-or-
you hated it and wanted "something to jump out at you" like every other crap horror flick.

I fail to understand why some people only accept forms of art that follow a particular formula.

It's film. It can do whatever it wants. It can pull you in any direction and play with your perceptions. That's why it's there. Great filmmakers understand this.
And I think the makers of Blair Witch understand this.

Cheers.

thelastgreatman
05-21-2008, 12:14 AM
The Blair Witch Project was a smart gimmick and an incredibly fucking boring movie.

Backwater
05-21-2008, 12:38 AM
Yeah I agree but the last five minutes are truly chilling the first time you see it.

For a fucking fantastic new low budget horror film check out Murderparty.

MissingPerson
05-21-2008, 03:57 AM
It's not as scary after the first time, but it's still a great fucking film about three kids going nuts, and there might be something out to get them...

Beef Jerky
05-21-2008, 05:25 AM
Mean Girls

Geno_g
05-21-2008, 07:08 AM
http://cover6.cduniverse.com/MuzeVideoArt/86/252586.jpg

http://www.severed-cinema.com/images/abcd/cannibal_holocaust/cannibal_holocaust-026.jpg

popotgol_moth
05-21-2008, 04:18 PM
Black Christmas
obviously the original from the '74

unitedwestand
05-21-2008, 04:36 PM
oh what was the movie that came out a few years ago that was only in limited theaters about that dude in Pennsylvania that killed the bank robbers? Moleviolence I think It was? That was pretty damn scary

MissingPerson
05-21-2008, 04:43 PM
http://www.severed-cinema.com/images/abcd/cannibal_holocaust/cannibal_holocaust-026.jpg

That's not very efficient cannibalism.

Backwater
05-21-2008, 09:44 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=C4Tpy8O2cyA

Absolutely hilarious, all of these trailers are.

This one is my favorite but Hobo with a Shotgun won the contest.

Astrid
05-22-2008, 01:52 PM
im taking a class on horror films in the fall....i havent really seen any for some bizarre reason.

hopefully we will watch some epic ones.

locachica73
05-22-2008, 02:19 PM
The ones that truly scared me were ones based on true stories, of course I watched them when I was around 7 though so that might explain it. Texas Chainsaw Massecre (the original, the newer one mostly just grossed me out from the gore) and there was a movie back when I was a kid called The Entity, also based on a true story. It was about a single mom who is terrorized and raped by a ghost. Very graphic, not sure how at the age of 7 I was able to watch it but apparently parental guidence didnt go far in my house.

jigsaw
05-22-2008, 02:52 PM
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p39/p_rock79/i-spit-on-your-grave-dvd-cover.jpg

jigsaw
05-22-2008, 02:55 PM
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p39/p_rock79/NightOfTheDemons.jpg

Vic Viper
05-22-2008, 03:10 PM
These cannibal/rape revenge films aren't remotely scary insomuch as they are mildly disturbing and poorly done.

Cannibal Holocaust was fairly boring, imho.

jigsaw
05-22-2008, 03:16 PM
The Hills Have Eyes is the worst of them

Mr.Nipples
05-22-2008, 03:22 PM
this is the worst...(WARNING!!!! DEAD BABY'S!!!)
T4HPgUVxlLI&hl=en
pretty much all of the no-budget 80's korean/japanese exploitation war flicks are really fucked up and scary in just how over the top they were...

jigsaw
05-22-2008, 03:24 PM
OMGZZZZZZZZZ

Thats outta control. LOL

whynotsmile99
05-22-2008, 03:27 PM
the winner for most disturbing:

Guinea Pig: Flower of FLesh and Blood

This installment of producer Satoru Ogura's graphically gory horror series depicts a ritualistic slaying similar to samurai executioners' brutal killings in 16th century Japan. According to legend, a film, still photos and video of a young female's dismemberment were sent to an artist, who immediately turned the material over to the police. Ogura's unnerving docudrama recreates the shocking murder, which remains unsolved.

Charlie Sheen saw it, thought it was a real snuff film and reported it to the LAPD!

Netflix it

zXgtrfSmmIE&feature=related

this is really all the movie is. Crazy Samuri disecting a druged women

jigsaw
05-22-2008, 03:35 PM
I'm calling the police!

Geno_g
05-22-2008, 04:11 PM
this is the worst...(WARNING!!!! DEAD BABY'S!!!)
T4HPgUVxlLI&hl=en

RAWWWWW! wow!

Backwater
05-22-2008, 06:49 PM
im taking a class on horror films in the fall....i havent really seen any for some bizarre reason.

hopefully we will watch some epic ones.

I took a course on horror films last summer but I really didn't learn anything at all. That's community college for ya, you get what you pay for.

We watched Carrie, The Brood, Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Night of the living dead, Psycho, Nosferatu, Vampyr, The Lost Boys, The Fury and a few others that I can't remember.

The Brood is fantastic, Cronenberg is a very underrated master of horror. He recently switched over to Drama/Action with History of Violence and Eastern Promises but at least he's finally getting recognized for his great work (Viggo got the actor nomination, etc.)

Dr. Caligari was made in 1919 but it's still the best horror film ever made and one of the overall best filmes ever made IMO. I'm a German Expressionism freak though so I may be overrating it a bit.

Pixiessp
05-23-2008, 11:22 AM
Not lame by any stretch of the imagination...Esp. the original Halloween and for the most part the first 2 are still classics in the non D'Argento/Fulci genre =)

Ooh Rosemary's Baby...I once dated a girl who's mom was named Rosemary...and other familiy members would refer to her as Rosemary's Baby...Kinda irked me in a way.

never dated a Rosemary but I went to school with one and she was a psycho. used to go around telling everyone she was going to marry our guidance counselor. years later my mom worked with her and my mom said she was telling everyone that she was dating her boss. of course this was news to them.

Pixiessp
05-23-2008, 11:29 AM
I like horror in space movies. Event Horizon is one of the better ones because of Laurence Fishburne, Sam Neill, and that fucking awesome soundtrack.

I didn't like his bloody eye sockets. my ex gf used to take 2 red checkers and place them on her eyes and freak me out in the middle of the night.

Pixiessp
05-23-2008, 11:36 AM
I loved the Descent. one movie that i couldn't wait to see was High Tension.
When i finally rented it I couldn't watch it past the part where the killer
murders the dad by placing his head between the rungs of the stairs and ramming that piece of furniture against dad's head and chopping it off.
not usually so squeamish but this movie freaked me out.

stinkbutt
05-23-2008, 11:40 AM
High Tension was lame maybe it was just the ending god that was stupid

Pixiessp
05-23-2008, 11:51 AM
glad you said that stinkbutt. i was gonna try to power through it but now i think I'll pass.

stinkbutt
05-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Like I said maybe it was just the ending I haven't seen it in awhile so I don't remember it that well worth a watch, but lame ending.

Did anyone actually like Hard Candy? I had an ex who told me it was the greatest horror film ever, she didn't get to pick the movie rentals anymore after that shit.

amyzzz
05-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Hard Candy was pretty awesome.

stinkbutt
05-23-2008, 12:08 PM
maybe you just have to be a girl to like it

amyzzz
05-23-2008, 12:13 PM
My husband liked it.

Vic Viper
05-23-2008, 12:21 PM
My husband liked it.
Maybe your husband's a girl. j/k

Another "horror" movie that gave me some serious creeps was The Mothman Prophecies. Its not gory, not particularly violent, but goddamn if it isn't unsettling to watch in the dark.

Gore removes any fear for me in a horror film.

miscorrections
05-23-2008, 12:21 PM
oh what was the movie that came out a few years ago that was only in limited theaters about that dude in Pennsylvania that killed the bank robbers? Moleviolence I think It was? That was pretty damn scary

http://petesqbsite.com/sections/express/issue20/whackamole.png

amyzzz
05-23-2008, 12:23 PM
I agree about the Mothmen Prophecies. I didn't get it, but that movie freaked me the fuck out.

Young blood
05-23-2008, 12:25 PM
chhhhhhhaaaaaappppp ssssssttttttiiiiccccckkkkk

Young blood
05-23-2008, 12:30 PM
wasnt a horror but fire in the sky scared the shit out of me.

Backwater
05-23-2008, 05:55 PM
Nobody found the ending to Mothman to be just a little bit lame? I thought it was one of the worst endings in film history, right up there with The Game. I agree about High Tension, another bad ending but Mothman's was on another level of suckiness.

M Sparks
06-25-2008, 03:39 PM
I've never really understood the love for Argento's Suspiria. It's moody, sure, but I don't think I could ever find it frightening. Unless I had a phobia of heavy-handed lighting designs.

I love Suspiria, but I agree it gets too much credit. The first 10 minutes or so are terrifying, the middle is an interesting film but not scary, the end is lame. But still...that first 10 minutes.

Suspiria, along with Phantasm and a few others, also has the psychological advantage of ad campaigns and trailers that absolutely terrorized some of us in our 30s. I remember going to the drive-in for some nice Disney films (or maybe it was Star Wars) and seeing the trailer for Suspiria. I was upset, so my dad took me to the snack bar until the second movie started...and there was a big poster for it. Heebie Jeebies.

A few years later I went to a movie on Halloween...this time I KNOW it was Empire Strikes Back...and the theatre was going to show Suspiria at midnight. I was so paranoid that they were going to mix up the reels, I didn't settle down until Luke got to Dagobah.

Funny thing is, the tagline sounds scary, but really, they're warning you that the end sucks. "The only thing more terrifying than the last 12 minutes of this film are the first 80"

EDIT- Oh, and I liked Hard Candy, but it's not a horror film by any stretch.

MissingPerson
06-25-2008, 04:05 PM
Hard Candy is completely a horror film. What else would you call it?

psychic friend
06-25-2008, 04:19 PM
This movie scared me when I was a kid.

http://www.moviegoods.com/Assets/product_images/1010/50060.1010.A.jpg

woogie846
06-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Drillbit Taylor

It's pretty horrific to me.

M Sparks
06-27-2008, 10:46 AM
Hard Candy is completely a horror film. What else would you call it?

Thriller? Drama? I dunno...not a horror film to me.

Is Swimming With Sharks a horror film? Revenge, hostage getting tortured, moral ambiguity...I'm not saying they are the same thing, but the elements are there.

amyzzz
06-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Those movies are "thrillers," not horror.

M Sparks
06-27-2008, 10:48 AM
This movie scared me when I was a kid.

http://www.moviegoods.com/Assets/product_images/1010/50060.1010.A.jpg

My interest in "The Boy Who Cried Werewolf" is piqued. "Possible in this day and age?" Yeah, werewolves were everywhere at the turn of the century, but here in the 70s? Absurd.

MissingPerson
06-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Fair enough. What's the difference between a thriller and a horror then? 'Cause I'd consider Silence of the Lambs a horror....

amyzzz
06-27-2008, 10:56 AM
I would think a horror would have actual gore in it, whereas a thriller would not.

MissingPerson
06-27-2008, 11:23 AM
Haunting of Hill House has no gore whatsover, but scares the living shit out of me. The original, not the horrible remake with Zeta Jones.

Backwater
06-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Fair enough. What's the difference between a thriller and a horror then?

Good question, one that I've pondered myself. The simplest distinction I can make (and I realize that this certainly doesn't always hold true) is that Horror films villians are usually supernatural (like they couldn't really exist in our world) and they typically use a weapon like a knife or some variation like an ax or machete, whereas thrillers are more involved with reailty, guns and police, etc.

amyzzz
06-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Haunting of Hill House has no gore whatsover, but scares the living shit out of me. The original, not the horrible remake with Zeta Jones.
Yeah, yeah, I know. I'm wondering if there is a "ghost" clause that would include it into the horror realm. Ghosts or undead or vampires -- supernatural. Like the poster above me said.

edit: I love that movie too. The book is really freaky and wrong. And it has a lesbian, which I guess is sort of in the movie too.

MissingPerson
06-27-2008, 12:28 PM
The simplest distinction I can make (and I realize that this certainly doesn't always hold true) is that Horror films villians are usually supernatural (like they couldn't really exist in our world) and they typically use a weapon like a knife or some variation like an ax or machete, whereas thrillers are more involved with reailty, guns and police, etc.

Yeah, that works for me, but... what about Saw? Horror, right? I mean, "Shite" primarily, but also Horror?

amyzzz
06-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Because of the gore.

Horror = supernatural and/or gore

MissingPerson
06-27-2008, 12:42 PM
The Haunting is one of my favourite horror books ever, and man, it gets so much better every time you read it. And yes, check it out, non-gratuitous horror-story-lesbian. Don't see many of those no more.

You know, I consider it a tragedy of biblical proportions that the Silent Hill movie adaptation wasn't far better. Those games are genuinely outstanding bits of horror, and the movie just missed the mark in nearly every way. I really wanted to have a movie I could show to my non-game nerd friends and say "THIS is what the big deal is." Then again, I think maybe Silent Hill would only ever work as a game. It's like Watchmen, one of those things I think might just be completely unadaptable without losing everything in the translation. Hopefully Watchmen will prove me wrong though.

jigsaw
06-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Hard candy was good because of Rose Mcgowan.

SCREAM and the SHINNING have to be my all time favorite horror movies and there is nothing supernatural about them.

amyzzz
06-27-2008, 12:45 PM
The Haunting is one of my favourite horror books ever, and man, it gets so much better every time you read it. And yes, check it out, non-gratuitous horror-story-lesbian. Don't see many of those no more.

You know, I consider it a tragedy of biblical proportions that the Silent Hill movie adaptation wasn't far better. Those games are genuinely outstanding bits of horror, and the movie just missed the mark in nearly every way. I really wanted to have a movie I could show to my non-game nerd friends and say "THIS is what the big deal is." Then again, I think maybe Silent Hill would only ever work as a game. It's like Watchmen, one of those things I think might just be completely unadaptable without losing everything in the translation. Hopefully Watchmen will prove me wrong though.
I enjoyed Silent Hill. Not the best movie ever, but a good fucking bad trip movie. I don't play video games.

amyzzz
06-27-2008, 12:46 PM

SCREAM and the SHINNING have to be my all time favorite horror movies and there is nothing supernatural about them.
The Shining has a lot of telepathy going on in it. That's not supernatural? And the freaking GHOSTS in the HOTEL? NOT SUPERNATURAL???

jigsaw
06-27-2008, 12:48 PM
I thought it was cabin fever.

amyzzz
06-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Still. Old black guy had a telepathic connection with the boy. And those are supposed to be real ghosts.

jigsaw
06-27-2008, 12:54 PM
I guess the son saw them too. Did Wendy see the ghost?

EDIT*

Oh yeah she catches that guy in the bear suite giving someone head.

Backwater
06-27-2008, 01:02 PM
The Shining has a lot of telepathy going on in it. That's not supernatural? And the freaking GHOSTS in the HOTEL? NOT SUPERNATURAL???

Yeah, The Shining is definitely 100% Horror, there is plenty of supernatural stuff in that film. Saw is completely Horror also. Scream is one of my favorites too, like I said the supernatural thing doesn't always hold true, just look at Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Psycho. The Scream guys do use knives those. I'm a HUGE Horror film fan, embarassingly huge, so I kind of have it down to a formula.

MissingPerson
06-27-2008, 01:10 PM
I enjoyed Silent Hill. Not the best movie ever, but a good fucking bad trip movie. I don't play video games.

It was decent, but it just took the superficial bits and pieces, and didn't quite have the sheer weight of the originals. When people look for an argument that games are art, they talk about Silent Hill.

I used to work in a videogame shop for a living, and have been known to seize people by the shoulders and try to bully them into buying that game for their own good. Silent Hill 2 has an absolutely astonishing plot, and tells it better than any other game I've ever seen... but it depends entirely on the fact that the player has slogged through all of it with the character rather than just watched some actor do it. The story swings on the choices you've made, so you're kind of complicit. Anyway, with the zeal of one of those demented fundamentalists, I recommend it.

Also, in terms of tone, it makes Cormac McCarthy look like the frigging Carebears.

RotationSlimWang
06-27-2008, 01:14 PM
Yeah, The Shining is definitely 100% Horror, there is plenty of supernatural stuff in that film. Saw is completely Horror also. Scream is one of my favorites too, like I said the supernatural thing doesn't always hold true, just look at Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Psycho. The Scream guys do use knives those. I'm a HUGE Horror film fan, embarassingly huge, so I kind of have it down to a formula.

YOU kind of have it down to a formula? The film establishment has had it down to a formula for decades. It's called a genre, fuckface.

Backwater
06-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Silent Hill 2 has an absolutely astonishing plot, and tells it better than any other game I've ever seen

Metal Gear Solid? While I agree with what you're saying as far as Silent Hill 2 having the best plot, I think MSG 1 and 2 might tell their own stories more effectively. If only the Silent Hill movie was any good ...

Backwater
06-27-2008, 01:21 PM
YOU kind of have it down to a formula? The film establishment has had it down to a formula for decades. It's called a genre, fuckface.

What genre was Crash? The racial tensions in LA genre? Haha, what a joke.

MissingPerson
06-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Metal Gear Solid? While I agree with what you're saying as far as Silent Hill 2 having the best plot, I think MSG 1 and 2 might tell their own stories more effectively. If only the Silent Hill movie was any good ...

Oooh. MGS1's a good contender, but MGS2's plot was a) A bit lame, and b) Told largely through cutscenes and codec chat rather than the actual mechanics of the game.

Also, you know, I hate the lack of decent werewolf movies these days. Werewolves are awesome.

Backwater
06-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Also, you know, I hate the lack of decent werewolf movies these days. Werewolves are awesome.

True dat. American Werewolf in London was the best. Whatever happened to Landis?

MissingPerson
06-27-2008, 01:39 PM
Aw, you only ever see him talking on clip shows about the top 100 horror movies of all time or whatever any more...

Backwater
06-27-2008, 01:45 PM
Oh yeah, I love how he ripped on Audition. That was great.

MissingPerson
06-27-2008, 02:08 PM
He does make any given clip show 123345% better by contributing to it though.

amyzzz
06-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Does anyone else like those horror movie countdowns they have on cable? (was it on channel E?)

davrone
06-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Does anyone else like those horror movie countdowns they have on cable? (was it on channel E?)

Yes! I am hooked on those! I think they air 'em on Bravo.

M Sparks
06-27-2008, 03:21 PM
Because of the gore.

Horror = supernatural and/or gore

Halloween isn't gory.

Maybe I missed something in Hard Candy. I wasn't paying too close attention. I mean, they guy was at least a little shady, right? Even if he wasn't the monster she thought he was. I'm starting to wonder if I missed a crucial piece.

I wasn't scared of Hard Candy because I'm not hitting on 14 year old girls. I guess I'm not a teenage babysitter either, so maybe I shouldn't consider Halloween scary.

M Sparks
06-27-2008, 03:24 PM

OK, now I'm completely confused.

amyzzz
06-27-2008, 03:27 PM
I thought we said Hard Candy was not horror. THRILLER.

jigsaw
06-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Ooooooppppsss...I thought Hard Candy = Jawbreaker. I have never seen Hard Candy.

amyzzz
06-27-2008, 03:32 PM
I liked Jawbreaker, even if it was a blatant Heathers ripoff.

jigsaw
06-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Teenage suicide don't do it!

M Sparks
06-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Ginger Snaps isn't very scary, but it's a great, smart film, right up until the end.

I'm in the mood for a good werewolf film lately, any suggestions?

Uhh...Ginger Snaps 2?

Seriously, I liked it much better than the original. And it's way more than just a werewolf movie. Still not many scares, but maybe a few more than the original.

Ginger Snaps Back was pretty dull, but it was atmospheric, and it actually had a budget. I at least admired how they managed to make three completely different films instead of rehashing.

Mr.Nipples
06-27-2008, 03:36 PM
Whatever happened to Landis?

"During the filming of Twilight Zone, actor Vic Morrow and child extras Myca Dinh Le and Renee Shin-Yi Chen were killed in an accident involving an out of control helicopter. Landis and several crew members were subsequently charged with involuntary manslaughter and child endangerment. The prosecutors attempted to show that Landis was reckless and had violated laws relating to child actors by not telling parents and others of the children's proximity to explosives and helicopters and of limitations on their working hours. Numerous members of the film crew testified that the director was warned, but ignored these dangers. After an extended jury trial, Landis, represented by famed Nashville attorney James F. Neal, and the other crew members on trial were acquitted of the charges.
Landis was later reprimanded for circumventing the State of California's child labor laws in hiring the two children killed in the accident. This tragedy resulted in stricter safety measures and enforcement of child labor laws, in the State of California.[5]
The parents of the children sued, and would later settle out of court for $2 million per family. Vic Morrow's daughters, Carrie Morrow and actress Jennifer Jason Leigh, similarly pursued a lawsuit that settled for an undisclosed amount purportedly in the $800,000 range."

MissingPerson
06-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Wow, can't believe I whined about werewolves twice. Yes, Ginger Snaps 2 is good. Spooky and cool.

M Sparks
06-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Landis did a Masters Of Horror episode, but I can't remember if it was any good. Actually, I think "Homecoming" was the only one I really like, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't his.

M Sparks
06-27-2008, 03:39 PM
I thought we said Hard Candy was not horror. THRILLER.

Fully agreed, and I'm not sure who I was arguing with there. I think the Wall-E thread drove me round the bend. I shouldn't be posting in this condition.

MissingPerson
06-27-2008, 04:29 PM
The parents of the children sued, and would later settle out of court for $2 million per family. Vic Morrow's daughters, Carrie Morrow and actress Jennifer Jason Leigh, similarly pursued a lawsuit that settled for an undisclosed amount purportedly in the $800,000 range."

Whoa, I had never heard about that. Aw man, I really liked Landis too. :(

Backwater
06-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Well he made a bunch of movies after the accident but most of them were stupid, like The Stupids.