PDA

View Full Version : Beam me up & marry me, Sulu

gaypalmsprings
05-19-2008, 03:01 PM
'Star Trek's' Sulu plans gay marriage to partner of 21 years

The Associated Press • May 19, 2008

First it was Ellen DeGeneres. Now George Takei wants to take advantage of California’s gay marriage laws and tie the knot with his longtime partner Brad Altman.

“Our California dream is reality. Brad Altman and I can now marry,” the 71-year-old “Star Trek” actor posted on his Web site. “We are overjoyed! At long last, the barrier to full marriage rights for same-sex couples has been torn down. We are equal with all citizens of our state!”

On Thursday, the California Supreme Court lifted a ban on gay marriage, making it constitutional for same-sex couples to get hitched in the state.

“Brad and I have shared our lives together for over 21 years,” continues Takei. “We’ve worked in partnership; he manages the business side of my career and I do the performing. We’ve traveled the world together from Europe to Asia to Australia. We’ve shared the good times as well as struggled through the bad. He helped me care for my ailing mother who lived with us for the last years of her life. He is my love and I can’t imagine life without him. Now, we can have the dignity, as well as all the responsibilities, of marriage. We embrace it all heartily.”

Takei goes on to draw parallels to the fear and misunderstanding that led to Japanese Americans, himself included, to be imprisoned in internment camps during World War II.

“With time, I know the opposition to same sex marriage, too, will be seen as an antique and discreditable part of our history,” he writes. “As U.S. Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy remarked on same sex marriage, `Times can blind us to certain truths and later generations can see that laws once thought necessary and proper, in fact, serve only to oppress.’

“For now, Brad and I are enjoying the delicious dilemma of deciding where, when, and how we will be married. Marriage equality took a long time, but, like fine wine, its bouquet is simply exquisite.”

Takei announced his homosexuality in October 2005. He’s best known for playing Sulu on “Star Trek” and more recently appeared on NBC’s hit drama “Heroes” as the father of Hiro Nakamura (Masi Oka), the hero who can bend space and time.

kreutz2112
05-19-2008, 03:03 PM
doesn't he fire the lasers?

Blinken
05-19-2008, 03:07 PM
I don't know what Sulu did but i know Scotty beams you up.

jackstraw94086
05-19-2008, 03:20 PM
He plans to honeymoon on that planet that orbits just beyond Saturn.

gaypalmsprings
05-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Uranus? ha!

full on idle
05-19-2008, 03:34 PM
how ARE yewwwww

whynotsmile99
05-19-2008, 03:36 PM
4s1iQODC5OI&feature=related

Takei's awesome. Mazel tov!

PassiveTheory
05-19-2008, 04:07 PM
I love him in Heroes. That is all.

humanoid
05-19-2008, 05:02 PM
a related anecdote.....

a few years ago, a friend and I happened to see George Takei at a grocery store....my friend and I had just smoked a joint before going in, and upon seeing him, we thought it would be funny to go up to him, acting as if we were both huge Star Trek fans (neither of us are remotely into it either).......in our ridiculous stoner state of mind, we were going to have him sign all this random Star Trek related stuff that we had in a bag ( we were on our way to the beach)......

he proceeded to sign every single thing we asked him to......some of the requests were just fucking ridiculous.....I believe I still have a George Takei "Santa Monica Pier" sun visor somewhere.....

anyways, long story short......He might have been the nicest person I've ever met in my life......we were just a couple giggling stoner idiots messing around...(it was pretty funny)......but he was so damn accommodating and kind that I have felt guilty ever since.....

congrats Mr Takei...

kitt kat
05-19-2008, 05:20 PM
^ LOL

i like how the headline says "plans gay marriage"
because, you know, a gay man would plan a straight marriage

jackstraw94086
05-19-2008, 06:15 PM
the title presupposes that not all possible readers already know he's gay.

MissingPerson
05-19-2008, 06:16 PM
Hang on, the ban's been lifted, I'm not sure if that's the same as actually allowing gay weddings to go ahead? Somebody clarify?

because, you know, a gay man would plan a straight marriage

Maybe straightness would be the wedding's novelty theme? You know, the way people have Elvis or Medieval weddings or whatever?

jonnypark
05-19-2008, 07:46 PM
I don't know what Sulu did but i know Scotty beams you up.

Sulu was the helmsman of the enterprise. GEEZ.

gaypalmsprings
05-19-2008, 08:14 PM
within 30 days, gay marriages will be legal. at least until November.

jonnypark
05-19-2008, 08:21 PM
I think the gay marrige law is pretty safe, what with the massive number of expect marriges to happen right away there would be a huge civil rights uproar if the right was revoked and the marriges were forcibley annuled. Even people opposed to the issue would be upset with that kind of invasive government behavior.

summerkid
05-19-2008, 08:22 PM
I think the gay marrige law is pretty safe, what with the massive number of expect marriges to happen right away there would be a huge civil rights uproar if the right was revoked and the marriges were forcibley annuled. Even people opposed to the issue would be upset with that kind of invasive government behavior.

one would hope.

jonnypark
05-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Is Arnolds father still alive to see this?

Pixiessp
05-21-2008, 10:57 PM
i don't plan on getting married any time soon but,yes, i would like the option to wed if i so decided and i could find someone who enjoys music as much as i do.

gaypalmsprings
10-09-2008, 05:47 AM
Guess who is going to be in the Palm Springs Gay Pride Parade in November?

http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/051027/051027_sulu_vmed_8p.widec.jpg