PDA

View Full Version : Ghostland Observatory - ILL NaNa

CalmerThanYou
05-15-2008, 08:55 AM
So as Shaggyduck so eloquently rants about, Ghostland did not fail in melting me wee little balls last night.

Saw them at Detroit Bar here in Costa Mesa. Its a very small, out of the way, VERY random venue. There were maybe only 100 - 150 people there, max. Kinda of a hipster joint with lots of 10 speed bikes with small seats and no brakes, but a chill place none the less.

These two dudes, in all of their enthusiasm and intensity, RIP IT THE FUCK UP. I was blown away by how much noise these two dudes could put out. They play some really dirty electronic/pop/rock, and its very fucking sick.

The crowd was so so (being in OC those fucking hipster fucks), but with the intimate vib, and the straight getting down attitude, they killed it. I guess they had been scheduled to play there last year, but one of the dudes got sick, so this was their make good. A bunch of hardcore fans were saying this was the smallest venue they have/will ever play. It was really good times.

Best show for $10 ever.

If you get a chance to check them out, i definitely recommend it. I just wish i had more dancing room last night to get down.

Cheers
-Calmer.

shaggyduck
05-15-2008, 09:07 AM
GHOSTLAND OBSERVATORY> everyone's mother, father, family, favorite band, and their own souls

wmgaretjax
05-15-2008, 09:36 AM
pitchfork had it right...

BlackSwan
05-15-2008, 09:38 AM
GHOSTLAND OBSERVATORY> everyone's mother, father, family, favorite band, and their own souls

retarded.

I agree... "Daft Punk for frat boys."

shaggyduck
05-15-2008, 10:35 AM
I agree... "Daft Punk for frat boys."

Well, considering I was never in a frat and Daft Punk doesn't play guitar or do vocals... I think you're probably retarded.

shaggyduck
05-15-2008, 10:38 AM

If you are referrring to their review of the album Robotique Majestic you're an idiot. They have 3 albums fucknuts.

BlackSwan
05-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Well, considering I was never in a frat and Daft Punk doesn't play guitar or do vocals... I think you're probably retarded.

You seem to have the intellect and maturity of a frat boy though, so kudos on that... and if you think Daft Punk doesn't have vocals in some of their songs you might want to take a second listen.

wmgaretjax
05-15-2008, 10:50 AM
If you are referrring to their review of the album Robotique Majestic you're an idiot. They have 3 albums fucknuts.

ha ha ha. 3 albums? You don't say!

ThomThom
05-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Damn, I thought this thread was about Foxxy Brown.

BlackSwan
05-15-2008, 10:53 AM
ha ha ha. 3 albums? You don't say!

they all sound very different from each other too!

shaggyduck
05-15-2008, 11:04 AM
You seem to have the intellect and maturity of a frat boy though, so kudos on that... and if you think Daft Punk doesn't have vocals in some of their songs you might want to take a second listen.

Yea, the vocals on Daft Punk's albums are very comparable to Ghostland's. You know what's even more similar... the live performances!

ya fuckin' maroon

rage patton
05-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Ghostland are excellent live. Lots and lots of fun.

shaggyduck
05-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Let me just ask you naysayers this...

HAVE YOU SEEN THEM LIVE?

If not... STFU

If so... how could you possibly have not enjoyed it? You must have a very depressing life.

PassiveTheory
05-15-2008, 11:08 AM
I would like to see them live... If they stopped playing ONLY fucking bars... I hate that shit. When you come to Sf the first time and play the Mezz, alright, but play it AGAIN when you come back? FUCK THAT SHIT. FUCK YOU GHOSTLAND FOR BEING SO GOOD YET PLAYING FUCKING BARS.

BlackSwan
05-15-2008, 11:16 AM
Yea, the vocals on Daft Punk's albums are very comparable to Ghostland's. You know what's even more similar... the live performances!

ya fuckin' maroon

:blah their new album still sucks

shaggyduck
05-15-2008, 11:18 AM
/\/\ haha

At least you realize how stupid your comments are

TonyWonder
05-15-2008, 11:28 AM
I do not understand the Ghostland hate. They are doing their thing on their own terms with their own label and no airplay at all. They're only known because people go to their shows and are blown the fuck away. I defy anyone to see this band in a club and not shake their ass to Silver City, or Piano Man, or Stranger Lover.....one of the very best live acts around. They're not trying to stimulate your intellect or completely change their sound with each album. They are fun and that is all.

btw..Pitchfork's reference to Ghostland as "Daft Punk for frat-boys" was not particularly apt, nor was the same review's comparison of G.O. to MGMT.

BlackSwan
05-15-2008, 11:28 AM
/\/\ haha

At least you realize how stupid your comments are

more like i realized how stupid ghostland observatory are and they're not worth arguing about, but whatever makes you happy.

wmgaretjax
05-15-2008, 11:39 AM
HAVE YOU SEEN THEM LIVE?

I have, and no amount of prancing makes the music any better.

BlackSwan
05-15-2008, 12:22 PM
I do not understand the Ghostland hate.

it's pretty simple, some people have a different opinion than you regarding their music. there is a lot better out there, for instance... CUT COPY

CalmerThanYou
05-15-2008, 01:23 PM
I love how people come into a band thread, hate on it for no fucking reason, then try pissing in everyones cheerios. if you dont like them, well...fuck off. no one cares you dont like them. at least engage some stimulating convo into the mix other than "they suck."

TonyWonder
05-15-2008, 01:36 PM
it's pretty simple, some people have a different opinion than you regarding their music. there is a lot better out there, for instance... CUT COPY

cute...

Let me re-phrase so that even you can understand:

I find the level of hatred by some for Ghostland Observatory surprising considering that they are fully independent and put on a great live show(IMO).

Now go back to arguing about how Ghostland isn't worth arguing about...or better yet, disingenuously lecturing people about having different opinions about music followed by a definitive statement regarding your own taste in music.

For the record, I like both Cut Copy and Ghostland very much. Cut Copy's albums > Ghostland's albums but Ghostland live > Cut Copy live...IMO.

shaggyduck
05-15-2008, 01:40 PM
No fucking kidding. Ghostland is nothing like Cut Copy and I happen to like both of them.

Calmer is totally right... pissing in a thread just to spew hate is pathetic. All it does is show that your life is so worthless you spend your free time talking shit in cyberspace.

I do not understand the Ghostland hate. They are doing their thing on their own terms with their own label and no airplay at all. They're only known because people go to their shows and are blown the fuck away. I defy anyone to see this band in a club and not shake their ass to Silver City, or Piano Man, or Stranger Lover.....one of the very best live acts around. They're not trying to stimulate your intellect or completely change their sound with each album. They are fun and that is all.

btw..Pitchfork's reference to Ghostland as "Daft Punk for frat-boys" was not particularly apt, nor was the same review's comparison of G.O. to MGMT.

Seriously. Comparing them to Daft Punk or MGMT makes absolutely no sense. And fucking ay... you gotta respect their methods. They are totally independent, don't give a fuck, intense, giving it there all, and just totally enjoyable to listen to.

I have, and no amount of prancing makes the music any better.

Wrong.

shaggyduck
05-15-2008, 01:42 PM
cute...

I find the level of hatred by some for Ghostland Observatory surprising considering that they are fully independent and put on a great live show(IMO).

Now go back to arguing about how Ghostland isn't worth arguing about...or better yet, disingenuously lecturing people about having different opinions about music followed by a definitive statement regarding your own taste in music.

For the record, I like both Cut Copy and Ghostland very much. Cut Copy's albums > Ghostland's albums but Ghostland live > Cut Copy live...IMO.

You just got OWNED Black Swan. For reals. If you can't recognize this you're only insulting yourself. So just shut the fuck up and go back to jerking off yoru mom. You are making an ass out of yourself and that's a bad thing.

wmgaretjax
05-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Wrong.

Oh shit... I see the problem here. For you, music is silly stage antics. I was coming at this the wrong way. I apologize.

shaggyduck
05-15-2008, 01:55 PM
Oh shit... I see the problem here. For you, music is silly stage antics. I was coming at this the wrong way. I apologize.

Oh, I see, are you referring to Aarons dancing? I thought you were referring to all the dancing I'm doing when I'm at the show. (Or every other well adjusted individual in attendance.) Usually a dancing crowed means pleasurable music. Last time I checked... the point of listening to music was to please the audible sense. Maybe that's just me.

wmgaretjax
05-15-2008, 01:57 PM
ast time I checked... the point of listening to music was to please the audible sense. Maybe that's just me.

It is a potential bi-product of music. It is not, however, the only affect of good music. People "enjoy" all kinds of garbage. There is such a thing as bad taste. You seem to be a victim. This is all moot, because you and your ridiculous signature are now on ignore.

shaggyduck
05-15-2008, 01:59 PM
OMGZ!@!##@!! DON"T IGNORE ME!@!# MY SELF WORTH COMES FROM YOU READING WHAT I SAY AND THEN TALKING SHIT!!!!

WHAT WILL I DO?!?@?!

BlackSwan
05-15-2008, 01:59 PM
cute...

if it wasn't obvious that i understood what you were saying, but was fucking with you your dumb

No fucking kidding. Ghostland is nothing like Cut Copy and I happen to like both of them.

Calmer is totally right... pissing in a thread just to spew hate is pathetic. All it does is show that your life is so worthless you spend your free time talking shit in cyberspace.

"Ghostland is nothing like Cut Copy" how do figure?

...free time? i'm getting paid now, wtf are you doing?

You just got OWNED Black Swan. For reals. If you can't recognize this you're only insulting yourself. So just shut the fuck up and go back to jerking off yoru mom. You are making an ass out of yourself and that's a bad thing.

wow you just supported someone with you opinion, how surprising!

BlackSwan
05-15-2008, 02:01 PM
It is a potential bi-product of music. It is not, however, the only affect of good music. People "enjoy" all kinds of garbage. There is such a thing as bad taste. You seem to be a victim. This is all moot, because you and your ridiculous signature are now on ignore.

not only that but he is one of those douchebags that has Kanye glasses and is obsessed with The Big Lebowski

shaggyduck
05-15-2008, 02:03 PM
if it wasn't obvious that i understood what you were saying, but was fucking with you your dumb
lol. good attempt to save face.

"Ghostland is nothing like Cut Copy" how do figure?

...free time? i'm getting paid now, wtf are you doing?

I'm at work too! Yay for the internet!

wow you just supported someone with you opinion, how surprising!
Wow, you still have no viable opinion or worthwile addition to this thread. how surprising!

shaggyduck
05-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Ghostland Observatory - Midnight Voyage
Joshua Tree Music Festival 05/16/2008
FYT_926IadA

shaggyduck
05-19-2008, 07:17 AM

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080501/OPINION03/805010427

Ghostland itself stands out, and seems to be fairly divisive amongst the rock elite. Lollapalooza founder Perry Farrell has said he can see Ghostland one day headlining his festival, while influential online publication Pitchfork gave the band's 2008 release "Robotique Majestique" a 1.5 out of 10.

"At least they're passionate about it. At least they didn't give it a 3," Turner says. "When we started the band, we didn't want to make music that was middle of the road. We wanted to make music that people either love or hate, and we're fine just as long as there's that balance.

"If everyone starts to say we're OK or we're not that bad, then that's going to be a problem."

TonyWonder
05-19-2008, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the video shaggyduck. Midnight Voyage is alway fun live. They need to come back home to Texas and play a show dammit!..preferably HOB Dallas again.

shaggyduck
05-19-2008, 09:11 AM
Yea, I just wanted to get that full song on YouTube because there are no good videos of it. I also got a cool video of Thomas Turner using the vocoder on Stranger Lover.

TQ3dgMFGI00

Their set was incredible as always. I actually got to talk to Aaron before he went on stage and he is just the chillest dude. He looked so anxious and ready to perform, even in the face of a travel schedule that had them playing in San Diego the night before Joshua Tree and then in Atlanta the day after.

CalmerThanYou
05-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Ghostland Observatory - Midnight Voyage
Joshua Tree Music Festival 05/16/2008
FYT_926IadA

Fucking sick.

I love laser beams

shaggyduck
05-27-2008, 09:02 PM
Ghostland Observatory @ Sasquatch 2008
u6S68ap4w_E

http://photos-775.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v284/204/80/7923775/n7923775_45044701_3501.jpg

http://photos-775.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v284/204/80/7923775/n7923775_45044686_9526.jpg

http://photos-775.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v284/204/80/7923775/n7923775_45044676_6826.jpg

http://photos-775.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v284/204/80/7923775/n7923775_45044689_1507.jpg

http://photos-775.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v284/204/80/7923775/n7923775_45044705_8485.jpg

Wheres the beef?
05-28-2008, 09:48 AM
I just stumbled into this thread. Are people really trying to hate on ghostland? What a bunch of fucking retards.

LiveItOut
05-28-2008, 05:16 PM
My thoughts exactly. Who cares if you don't like Ghostland - go listen to other music / read other threads and fuck off.
BTW Pitchfork fucking sucks.

Blinken
05-29-2008, 12:22 PM
So as Shaggyduck so eloquently rants about, Ghostland did not fail in melting me wee little balls last night.

Saw them at Detroit Bar here in Costa Mesa. Its a very small, out of the way, VERY random venue. There were maybe only 100 - 150 people there, max. Kinda of a hipster joint with lots of 10 speed bikes with small seats and no brakes, but a chill place none the less.

These two dudes, in all of their enthusiasm and intensity, RIP IT THE FUCK UP. I was blown away by how much noise these two dudes could put out. They play some really dirty electronic/pop/rock, and its very fucking sick.

The crowd was so so (being in OC those fucking hipster fucks), but with the intimate vib, and the straight getting down attitude, they killed it. I guess they had been scheduled to play there last year, but one of the dudes got sick, so this was their make good. A bunch of hardcore fans were saying this was the smallest venue they have/will ever play. It was really good times.

Best show for $10 ever.

If you get a chance to check them out, i definitely recommend it. I just wish i had more dancing room last night to get down.

Cheers
-Calmer.

Goddamnit, I so would have gone to this if i had known about it. The Detroit Bar would have been a very cool place to see em. Damn it.

rage patton
05-29-2008, 12:36 PM
My girlfriend went and saw them instead of the Flaming Lips. She go really sick halfway through the set though... but she came back and watched the end. She also went and met them at the signing and told them what happened. They felt bad so they gave her a CD and signed it.
I really wish I could have seen them at Sasquatch... but the Flaming Lips were so amazing I am not really that bummed about missing them.

shaggyduck
05-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Rage, it's like I told my buddy. If you enjoyed the Flaming Lips, than don't sweat it, but if you didn't, then you completely ruined your life.

Just don't miss them next time around. They are only getting better.

Sushov23
05-29-2008, 06:10 PM
GHOSTLAND OBSERVATORY KICK MAJOR ASS LIVE. Main Reason I'm going to Download Festival

PassiveTheory
05-29-2008, 06:56 PM
The next time someone talks to them, tell em' to play a fucking all ages venue in California for fuck sake.

Sushov23
05-29-2008, 07:00 PM
will do Passive.