PDA

View Full Version : Narrow Stairs?

KatieLyn
05-15-2008, 08:00 AM
I like it. I'm really digging Grapevine Fires.

Your thoughts?

PassiveTheory
05-15-2008, 08:07 AM
Brandon posted something in the young'uns guide that I pretty much agree with.

"Pity and Fear" is quite possibly the worst Death Cab song ever, "Talking Bird" has a weird vocal delivery that fucks with the song, "Your New Twin Sized Bed" would have been a better fit on Plans, and, really, the only slightly progressive-sounding songs are "I Will Possess Your Heart" and "Bixby Canyon Bridge".

It's not just that the music seems stagnant; one of the reasons I love Death Cab is because of Ben's lyrics and how fucking personal they can be. There's just nothing the likes of "What Sarah Said" or "Transatlanticism" at ALL on this record.

"Grapevine Fires" comes the closes to capturing that feeling, and it's a damn good song. My favorite, so far, is "Cath..." which I think is like "Death of an Interior Decorator" but better. "Long Division" is fun, I like it just because I can relate to the song, the "You Can Do Better Than Me" lead in to "Grapevine Fires" is strange, given the content of each song, but I actually like it too, despite it being a cheesy-as-all-fuck song. And, as I said before, the first two tracks are pretty damn good.

But yeah, "The Ice Is Getting Thinner" is also the most disappointing DCfC CD ender, ever. It's nothing but two guitars and the most incredibly predictable lyrics EVER. And, for right now, I'm ambivalent about "No Sunlight"...

Come on Ben, you're a lyrical genius. This shit is what we would have expected before Trans, but you can do so much better than this...

5.5/10

KatieLyn
05-15-2008, 08:08 AM
He's still a lyrical genius in my book.
I adore him.

wmgaretjax
05-15-2008, 08:14 AM
genius... huh.

KatieLyn
05-15-2008, 08:19 AM
Indeed.

I don't particularly enjoy Talking Bird and No Sunlight as much as some other stuff on the album.

Dustinanson
05-15-2008, 09:10 AM
I'm really enjoying the album despite the fact that it is all over the place and I do not like the abrupt ending to "Pity and Fear". It almost feels like it is there to bug us. However many flaws I still can't stop listening to it, maybe just so I can grasp it as a whole album........

IdiotequeThom
05-15-2008, 09:11 AM
I actually liked it quite a bit. Not their best album but definately not their worst.

Stand-outs are Grapevine Fires, Cath..., No Sunlight, Bixby Canyon Bridge

I don't care for Talking Bird, Pity & Fear, and You Can Do Better Than Me.

sbessiso
05-15-2008, 09:13 AM
i just cant bring myself to listen to it

hawkingvsreeve
05-15-2008, 10:57 AM
I'll type up a proper review in a bit. IF I can stomach listening all the way through again.

sbessiso
05-15-2008, 10:58 AM
their set at coachella killed it for me. i'm so done with them for now.

BlackSwan
05-15-2008, 10:58 AM
it's ok, nothing special

superfiction
05-15-2008, 11:12 AM
But yeah, "The Ice Is Getting Thinner" is also the most disappointing DCfC CD ender, ever. It's nothing but two guitars and the most incredibly predictable lyrics EVER.

while the lyrics are predictable t his was the first song i identified with immidately. i think his vocal delivery on the song is fantastic as well as i really like the slide guitar. but that said... i dunno its kinda sad that this is my favorite song. they could have done better i think

thestripe
05-15-2008, 11:22 AM
Come on Ben, you're a lyrical genius. This shit is what we would have expected before Trans, but you can do so much better than this...

5.5/10

Passive, I don't want to see you jumping on anybody for calling Jack White a guitar genius. He's not, but you are no longer allowed to dispute their claims.

superfiction
05-15-2008, 11:30 AM
Passive, I don't want to see you jumping on anybody for calling Jack White a guitar genius. He's not, but you are no longer allowed to dispute their claims.

i believe that post is quoting brandon. at least that was the impression i was under

PassiveTheory
05-15-2008, 11:33 AM

The minute Jack White writes something as passionate and meaningful as "Title and Registration", lemme know, m'kay?

thestripe
05-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Stop. You are not allowed to go any further.

wmgaretjax
05-15-2008, 11:38 AM
The minute Jack White writes something as passionate and meaningful as "Title and Registration", lemme know, m'kay?

hahahahahahaha.

passion.

PassiveTheory
05-15-2008, 11:38 AM
PASSION!

menikmati
05-15-2008, 11:42 AM
I would of taken Jupiter's Rings over DCFC at Coachella. Worst (and shittiest) performance of the whole weekend. Makes me not even wanna listen to the new album.

hawkingvsreeve
05-15-2008, 12:16 PM
i believe that post is quoting brandon. at least that was the impression i was under

He wasn't quoting anything I said directly. He was just mentioning that I wrote some stuff about it in another thread that he agreed with somewhat. I think.

OutOfmYminD
05-15-2008, 12:22 PM
I didn't think their performance was all that bad. Especially considering it's death cab on a huge stage and I hadn't even heard the best things about death cab live to begin with.

I'm going to have to give narrow stairs some time. I love "Title and Regestration" and at first listen it seems like that side of death cab is MIA on this CD. However I went out and got Cloud Cult based on the band of the moment thread so they should hold me over.

amyzzz
05-15-2008, 12:30 PM
I thought they were good at coachella. However, I didn't like the song choice, and Ben's comments about Prince were kind of ridiculous.

ghettojournalist
05-15-2008, 12:47 PM
finished listening to it and it left me satisfied. not nearly as good as "Transatlanticism", but better than "Plans".

the first two tracks set up high expectations that are slightly touched on and referenced later, but never fully realized. doesn't mean it is bad, just means it could have been better.

IdiotequeThom
05-15-2008, 12:47 PM
I would of taken Jupiter's Rings over DCFC at Coachella. Worst (and shittiest) performance of the whole weekend. Makes me not even wanna listen to the new album.

There were much worse (and shittier) perfornances that weekend.

hawkingvsreeve
05-15-2008, 12:51 PM
When "I Will Posses Your Heart" was released, I was very curious as to how the song would fit in with the rest of the new Death Cab For Cutie album Narrow Stairs. I thought the song was good, albeit long, but when listened to within the context of the album, it's, and the rest of the record's flaws became very apparent.

Opening with the easily forgettable and schizophrenic "Bixby Canyon Bridge," you can immediately hear the change in Ben's voice, or at least the vocal production. Gone are the days of the earnest, more believable Ben Gibbard. These days were pretty much gone after The Photo Album, but both Plans and especially Narrow Stairs are the nails in the coffin for the days when Gibbard was actually inspiring. I find "Bixby..." a weak opener, and immediately after it was over, I felt like the album was as well. This should have been the last track, especially with the length that it runs. After almost five and a half minutes you're dropped into "I Will Posses Your Heart," another song that spans the post five minute mark, stretching out to nearly eight and a half. While I still think the song is good, mostly, every listen becomes more frustrating. You wait for almost five minutes for a basic rock/pop song to start, and while parts of the build are engaging (I especially like the vibraphone part), the payoff is less than rewarding, and not really worth the time invested.

The middle portion of this record is nearly unlistenable, with tracks like No Sunlight, probably Death Cab's second worst song to date, and the faux 60s inspired "You Can Do Better Than Me," a song with lyrical content equivalent to an 8th grade creative writing class, not to mention rehashed music from Transatlanticism's "Death Of An Interior Decorator." While on the topic of rehashed music, I should mention "Your New Twin Size Bed," with it's main guitar hook coming straight from The Photo Album's opener "Steadier Footing." Rounding out this collection of bombs is "Talking Bird," a song so horrendous that it might top "The Sound Of Settling" as Death Cab's worst song in the catalogue. One last note before we move on to what actually works on this album. I must mention something about the end to "Pity And Fear." Now, I'm not sure if they had this planned going in or if it happened on accident. Well, let me back up a second. First of all, the track sounds like George Harrison got together with Phil Collins and decided to have some musical abortion love child. It does pick up near the middle, once the tabla drums fade to the back of the mix. But the end. Oh, the end. I imagine the end of the track happening like this: Chris Walla is mixing the track and decides to get a glass of water. On his way back to the mixing board, he trips on an untied shoelace from his sea foam green Chuck's and goes sprawling into the mixing board, his hand landing on the master fader and then coming to rest on the space bar of the keyboard. The band looks at each other and the goes: "YES! THAT! KEEP THAT!" No guys. It's bullshit. The only thing the end of that song accomplishes is to catch your attention after most of the record has put you to sleep.

The album has three good songs. "Cath..." is a pretty strong track, even with the drums being taken almost directly from Something About Airplanes' "Your Bruise." "Long Division" is a great track that has a nice "We Laugh Indoors" feel to it as well as a very hooky and syncopated guitar line, and the best song on the album is "Grapevine Fires," which I feel should have opened the record.

As far as closing the record, "The Ice Is Getting Thinner" is another song on this album that steals (as opposed to borrows) elements from other work by Death Cab and doesn't end up better for it. I hear both "Passenger Seat" and "Death Of An Interior Decorator" on this track, and really at this point I am not surprised, or even phased. By the end of the album it sort of becomes a fun little game to try to guess what is being ripped off. Points to anyone else who can identify other Death Cab songs within these new ones.

I'm downgrading the score a notch.

3/10

Poor effort, gentlemen.

BlackSwan
05-15-2008, 03:16 PM
:bump

PassiveTheory
05-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Jesus, a 3?... Man, that's harsh.

microserfs21
05-16-2008, 07:13 AM
Jesus, a 3?... Man, that's harsh.

Not really harsh. Just truthful. The ablum pretty much sucks when compared to the rest of the discography. Problem is most of the fans haven't listened to most of the albums and are just comparing it to Trans and Plans. dcfc peaked at Trans and now they are on a horrible downslope.

IdiotequeThom
05-16-2008, 09:02 AM
I thought this album was better than Plans, Something About Airplanes, and You Can Play These Songs With Chords. It's not a horrible album; it's just average compared to dcfc's other albums.

PassiveTheory
05-16-2008, 09:28 AM
Plans is so much better than this album, lol.

amyzzz
05-16-2008, 09:37 AM
I just got it yesterday and listened to it once. It's pretty good. I like some of the vocal melodies.

microserfs21
05-16-2008, 03:58 PM
I thought this album was better than Plans, Something About Airplanes, and You Can Play These Songs With Chords. It's not a horrible album; it's just average compared to dcfc's other albums.

For having listed most of the dcfc discography in your post I have to think you must be on crack to think that.

hawkingvsreeve
05-16-2008, 08:08 PM
It's nowhere even close to touching Something About Airplanes. You Can Play These Songs... isn't a proper album so it doesn't really count.

ghettojournalist
05-16-2008, 08:18 PM
wow. re: the rated review, when did pitchfork infiltrate this board and post reviews? that low of a rating for an album that is not even close to being that horrible is purely reactionary.

luckyface
05-16-2008, 08:36 PM
Listen, I like Death Cab. But this lyrical genius talk really needs to stop. He is very far from it.

hawkingvsreeve
05-17-2008, 01:26 AM
wow. re: the rated review, when did pitchfork infiltrate this board and post reviews? that low of a rating for an album that is not even close to being that horrible is purely reactionary.

1. I am not Pitchfork. I'm a long time fan of the band.

2. Shit albums get shit reviews. Compared to other albums that come out this year, it may not be "that horrible." Compared to the band's earlier work, it is atrocious.

3. Every review is a reaction. Get used to it.

PassiveTheory
05-17-2008, 01:28 AM
Listen, I like Death Cab. But this lyrical genius talk really needs to stop. He is very far from it.

It's just me, Rocke. I've had a man-crush on Ben Gibbard because his music helped me through high school... So I have a high opinion of him.

indiekid89
05-17-2008, 01:35 AM
i love this album.
My Faves Are...
Bixby Canyon Bridge, I Will Possess Your Heart, No Sunlight, Talking Bird, Grapevine Fires, Pity And Fear, And the No Sunlight Demo.

loveless
05-17-2008, 01:44 AM
seeing them in june at the nokia theatre in la :)

PassiveTheory
05-17-2008, 01:48 AM
I just really have no desire to see them live again right now... Maybe when they release another album, but I'm just not as crazy about this record as I was for Plans.

That being said, I really hope Ben's saving the good stuff for the next Postal Service release.

indiekid89
05-17-2008, 01:48 AM

lucky.
i wanna go.
im not sure though.
cus i also wanna see bloc party with does it offend you, yeah?.
and chromeo.
and theSTART.
those shows are in july but still.
i dont think i'll have enough for those and the death cab.
plus im still kinda bothered that they called coachella bonnaroo.

loveless
05-17-2008, 02:02 AM
im seeing bloc party and does it offend you, yeah? also at the glasshouse :)

im pretty sure they were kidding with the bonnaroo thing haha.

PassiveTheory
05-17-2008, 02:03 AM
They were but it was still stupid.

Also, that Bloc Party show, I'm pretty sure, ended up being sold out.

indiekid89
05-17-2008, 02:04 AM
i might see them either at the glasshouse or at the mayan in L.A.
and i dont think so.
they sounded serious when they said it and they didnt correct themselves.

indiekid89
05-17-2008, 02:14 AM
They were but it was still stupid.

Also, that Bloc Party show, I'm pretty sure, ended up being sold out.

the bloc party show is sold out?
and oh i thought they were serious.
oh well.
i guess the chromeo show is going to have to do.

PassiveTheory
05-17-2008, 02:15 AM
Is your avatar what you look like?

indiekid89
05-17-2008, 02:17 AM
yeah, why?
it was an uffie av but i changed it.

PassiveTheory
05-17-2008, 02:19 AM
...um. Just avoid thelastgreatman, that's all.

indiekid89
05-17-2008, 02:19 AM
hahaha
why?

microserfs21
05-17-2008, 09:57 AM
i might see them either at the glasshouse or at the mayan in L.A.
and i dont think so.
they sounded serious when they said it and they didnt correct themselves.

Yea, they got a farmland in tennesse mixed up with a desert in california. Are you that stupid? It was obviously just a bad joke.

microserfs21
05-17-2008, 09:59 AM

Some of the past albums have had excellent lyrics though I am not calling him a lyrical genius. There is nothing so far on Narrow Stairs that I would call great lyrically.

Compare a song like Company Calls Epilogue to anything on Narrow Stairs and it just blows everything away.

dear_amanda
05-17-2008, 10:43 AM
Compare a song like Company Calls Epilogue to anything on Narrow Stairs and it just blows everything away.

Favorite DCFC song of all time.

microserfs21
05-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Favorite DCFC song of all time.

Werd.

KatieLyn
05-17-2008, 05:13 PM

I might be there!

KatieLyn
05-17-2008, 05:14 PM
Also, the more I listen to Narrow Stairs, the more I like it.

ghettojournalist
05-17-2008, 05:18 PM
1. I am not Pitchfork. I'm a long time fan of the band.

2. Shit albums get shit reviews. Compared to other albums that come out this year, it may not be "that horrible." Compared to the band's earlier work, it is atrocious.

3. Every review is a reaction. Get used to it.

Kevin Federline's album, "Y Kant Tori Read", a number of Insane Clown Posse albums: these are the kind of albums that deserve that kind of bile. Death Cab for Cutie's worst is still miles above that crap. i suggest you be a bit more objective with your critique and ratings.

PassiveTheory, did you hear that The Postal Service's new album is being called the indie "Chinese Democracy", by its own members?

KatieLyn
05-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Kevin Federline's album, "Y Kant Tori Read", a number of Insane Clown Posse albums: these are the kind of albums that deserve that kind of bile. Death Cab for Cutie's worst is still miles above that crap. i suggest you be a bit more objective with your critique and ratings.

PassiveTheory, did you hear that The Postal Service's new album is being called the indie "Chinese Democracy", by its own members?

Hahaha, insane clown posse.
They make me laugh.

thelastgreatman
05-17-2008, 05:43 PM
yeah, why?
it was an uffie av but i changed it.

...um. Just avoid thelastgreatman, that's all.

hahaha
why?

You look like the physical embodiment of the venereal diseases you can almost see in Uffie's snatch in your old avatar.

KatieLyn
05-17-2008, 08:41 PM
You look like the physical embodiment of the venereal diseases you can almost see in Uffie's snatch in your old avatar.

=]
Knew this was coming.

hawkingvsreeve
05-18-2008, 10:00 AM

Objective is being able to recognize when one of my favorite bands releases an album that flat out sucks and calling them on it. What you are suggesting is blind devotion. I hold them to an incredibly high standard because that is what they set for themselves. This record gets a point for each good song and nothing else.

luckyface
05-18-2008, 10:19 AM
It's just me, Rocke. I've had a man-crush on Ben Gibbard because his music helped me through high school... So I have a high opinion of him.

Trust me, it is not just you. I have heard this for years from many other people.

PassiveTheory
05-18-2008, 12:31 PM

Pretty much. I mean it went from "yeah, we're working on it" to "probably not before the end of the decade because of the pressures of making an equal or better record blah blah blah".

Ah well, at least DNTEL and DCfC still make good music.

hawkingvsreeve
05-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Ah well, at least DNTEL and DCfC still make good music.

Barely.

ghettojournalist
05-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Objective is being able to recognize when one of my favorite bands releases an album that flat out sucks and calling them on it. What you are suggesting is blind devotion. I hold them to an incredibly high standard because that is what they set for themselves. This record gets a point for each good song and nothing else.

thanks for proving my point. that is such a subjective viewpoint. i'm suggesting that if one is going to contextualize an album, then one must do so not just with their catalogue, but with other albums as well. your status as a reviewer suffers when you so obviously let your biases come into play.

hawkingvsreeve
05-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Get over yourself.

The world of art is so subjective that nobody will ever agree on anything. If you want to disagree with my statements regarding the album, you are more than welcome to, but don't get all butt hurt just because I have those opinions. Or as you put it, "bile." Which is an opinion that I disagree with, but I'm not asking you to go through my entire 1200 posts and compare them to others before deeming them digestive stomach acid.

ghettojournalist
05-18-2008, 07:19 PM
i suggest you bow out of this somewhat gracefully before you "Kevin James" yourself. every successive post just digs you deeper into a hole.

hawkingvsreeve
05-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Are you really trying to compare an album review to a radical right wing talk show host?

How embarrassing. Do you read your posts before hitting the reply button?

ghettojournalist
05-18-2008, 09:02 PM
you should be asking yourself that question because if i were comparing an album review to a radical right wing talk show host then it read like this:

man, that album review better take itself down from the message board before it "Kevin James'" itself.

the scary thing about MY comparison is that it puts me in the Chris Matthews position and i don't know how i feel about that.

bmack86
05-18-2008, 09:54 PM
TO be fair, Brandon, this guy probably doesn't have a whole lot to do besides online arguments, living in Wasco and all.

ghettojournalist
05-18-2008, 10:27 PM
2nd online argument...ever. but yeah, it's a Sunday and pretty lame today...and this guy just had to make so easy.

indiekid89
05-19-2008, 12:12 AM

whatever.

hawkingvsreeve
05-19-2008, 10:24 AM
TO be fair, Brandon, this guy probably doesn't have a whole lot to do besides online arguments, living in Wasco and all.

There is a hint of desperation there, yeah. It's subtle, but you can still feel it.

downingthief
05-19-2008, 10:41 AM
Brandon, you know I respect your opinions. Keep em coming, boyo.

My take on Narrow Stairs is still in progress. I can't put my finger on it yet. I do like that it is more "stripped" down a bit. Like the tone, and the feel of the record.
Strength of songs is an issue, I do agree. There are some standouts, but there are less than previous works. I need to give it a few more run throughs. "Cath" I like, as well as Grapevine, and Posess.

I became more of a fan of DCFC after I saw them live. A bit backwards, I suppose. Most do not consider them a good live band, but I do. Their Coachella performance was not great. I have definitely witnessed worse.

PassiveTheory
05-19-2008, 10:45 AM
Brandon, you know I respect your opinions. Keep em coming, boyo.

My take on Narrow Stairs is still in progress. I can't put my finger on it yet. I do like that it is more "stripped" down a bit. Like the tone, and the feel of the record.
Strength of songs is an issue, I do agree. There are some standouts, but there are less than previous works. I need to give it a few more run throughs. "Cath" I like, as well as Grapevine, and Posess.

I became more of a fan of DCFC after I saw them live. A bit backwards, I suppose. Most do not consider them a good live band, but I do. Their Coachella performance was not great. I have definitely witnessed worse.

I agree with all of this.

hawkingvsreeve
05-19-2008, 10:50 AM
I think they just don't fair well at bigger festivals. Their 2004 Coachella performance was kind of boring as well, but when they played Street Scene in '05 they were excellent. I don't know. They were also very good a few years prior to that on the Photo Album tour in smaller clubs. Of course they were playing music from earlier records so that may have had something to do with it. Either way, it sucks watching your favorite bands turn to shit.

amyzzz
05-19-2008, 10:59 AM
I think it is an OK album--it's currently sitting in my car stereo. DCFC have never been my favorite band, however, so I don't think I'm as emotionally invested in this as Brandon appears to be. I was seriously disappointed with Morrissey's last album, so I think I can understand what you're going through. I also only really like the later DCFC because the earlier stuff isn't really very catchy or musical and just seems way too wordy.

luckyface
05-19-2008, 11:02 AM
My one word review of the album: underwhelming. I don't hate it by any means, but it definitely doesn't leave me wanting to listen to it much.

downingthief
05-19-2008, 11:21 AM
I think they just don't fair well at bigger festivals. Their 2004 Coachella performance was kind of boring as well, but when they played Street Scene in '05 they were excellent. I don't know. They were also very good a few years prior to that on the Photo Album tour in smaller clubs. Of course they were playing music from earlier records so that may have had something to do with it. Either way, it sucks watching your favorite bands turn to shit.

That could be. Funny that they play a decent amount of festivals.

I will be seeing them again next month, so I will report back on that show. It will be at an outdoor venue. Seats around 3-4k tops.

Hopeless Semantic
05-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Company Calls Epilogue and 405 are two of my favorite tracks from Death Cab. With that being said, I don't necessarily dislike Narrow Stairs--it's just not their best work in my opinion. I mean, Tranalanticism, Something About Airplanes, and We Have The Facts and We're Voting YEs are my favorite out of the discography, its just Gibbard kinda pulled a Make Believe when he needed to improve on Plans. Although What Sarah Said is my favorite track off Plans.

PassiveTheory
05-19-2008, 12:56 PM
I still don't see where the hate from Plans is coming from... I really love that album, although I hate the bitch that gave it to me...

Hopeless Semantic
05-19-2008, 01:08 PM
In no way did I mean to disparage Plans, but what I meant is to take off from Plans--not digress. I like Plans a great deal, but it isn't my favorite. Definitely not a bad album by any means. I, though, share the same sentiment about who gave me Plans as a gift. She was a bitch too...

hawkingvsreeve
05-19-2008, 01:37 PM
The reason, Lee, is the same reason for the dislike of Narrow Stairs. The music is stale, Ben's lyrical strengths aren't being utilized, and it is generally a record that is being steered toward mass market appeal.

Nothing about either of them makes them special. There is no "Styrofoam Plates," no "Photobooth." There is no moment like that first "So come on..." line in "Transatlanticism," or the "All around" vocal break in "20th Century Towers." There is no 1:39 minute mark in "Title Track." These are what make DCFC special (to me anyway). Both Plans and Narrow Stairs lack anything close to these moments, so when I listen, I don't have anything to look forward to. They are just records full of pop rock songs. The difference between Plans and Narrow Stairs is that Plans has more tracks that are worth sticking around for. Not many, but more.

PassiveTheory
05-19-2008, 02:03 PM
Plans has that vocal moment with "What Sarah Said" ("So who's gonna watch you die?...") and I still think the lyrical inter-play of "Marching Bands of Manhattan" is still remarkable.

But you know me, I think Plans and Trans are DCfC's two best records, so that makes me part of the teenybopper's club of kids-who-discovered-DCfC-through-the-OC just by association... Ugh.

hawkingvsreeve
05-19-2008, 02:31 PM
But "What Sarah Said" doesn't have the context that the other songs do to make that part really great. It's nice, but really it doesn't attain anything more than that for me. There is no impact. No wow moment. No dynamics. It's just generally flat, and as a result, boring.

amyzzz
05-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Well, I guess we are boring people then, Brandon. :p

hawkingvsreeve
05-19-2008, 02:39 PM
No, we just prefer different things.

rskapcat
05-20-2008, 06:19 AM
There is no moment like that first "So come on..." line in "Transatlanticism"...there is no 1:39 minute mark in "Title Track." These are what make DCFC special (to me anyway).

YES! Especially "Title Track".

That being said, here are my thoughts on Narrow Stairs: It's a good record, not great. It's growing on me with each listen. I really like "Long Division". I skip "Talking Bird". Just for point of reference, my favorite Death Cab tracks come from The Photo Album, We Have the Facts..., and Transatlanticism.

amyzzz
05-20-2008, 07:23 AM
I really like "I Will Possess Your Heart," 8 minutes and all. That's a fucking great song. The 4 minute opening part lulls me with that brilliant repetitive bass line and the nice piano and guitar flourishes, and then BAM! fucking AWESOME lyrics and vocals. Love that.

downingthief
05-20-2008, 08:01 AM
I'm really liking it more and more too, Amy. Ben's lyrics are more simplified, and direct on that song. A new theme for him to dive into, as well. Can't recall another DCFC song that ponders on obsession/posession.

amyzzz
05-20-2008, 10:04 AM
He sounds so upbeat and positive in it that you almost forget that the lyrics are kinda creepy.

microserfs21
05-20-2008, 11:02 AM

I think the problem is the outdoor venues. I've seen them in an arena and a big concert hall and both times the sound was good. I've always found that they always come across as more of a hard rocking band live but I didn't feel this at Coachella. I found that at Coachella that it was really quiet. I don't know if that is because of the sound techs or because there is nothing to keep the sound in.

microserfs21
05-20-2008, 11:06 AM
Plans has that vocal moment with "What Sarah Said" ("So who's gonna watch you die?...") and I still think the lyrical inter-play of "Marching Bands of Manhattan" is still remarkable.

But you know me, I think Plans and Trans are DCfC's two best records, so that makes me part of the teenybopper's club of kids-who-discovered-DCfC-through-the-OC just by association... Ugh.

So you have listened to the rest of the dcfc albums then?

KatieLyn
05-20-2008, 04:24 PM
I keep checkin back on this board, but haven't posted in a while.

Still diggin the album though.

JackMcBain
05-24-2008, 12:58 AM
seeing the amount of hate ppl in this thread is givin for this album, no wonder most ppl didnt like seeing DCFC this year in Coachella, considerin half the tracks were off the new album. They did throw in some good classic ones though IMO. But with the timelength each bands has on stage, there isnt much more they can play. At least for the ppl who like the new albums, they should have had a good time :P