PDA

View Full Version : Seattle.

Pages : [1] 2

Young blood
05-13-2008, 08:01 AM
Could you plz tell me about your city?

Good resturants, clubs, bars, activities, most important things to see. oh and ferry/boat rides/sites.

and possible unique facts.

Thnxs hugs and kisses,

<3 J~

bug on your lip
05-13-2008, 08:02 AM
they grow grunge there

Geno_g
05-13-2008, 08:02 AM
Capital hill is sick, there's a belgum bar called the Stumbling Munk, sick bar, good beer!

Young blood
05-13-2008, 08:05 AM
Capital hill is sick, there's a belgum bar called the Stumbling Munk, sick bar, good beer!

nice how many Belgium beers do they have on tap?

Capital hill? tell me more..

Young blood
05-13-2008, 08:06 AM
they grow grunge there

Is flannel still cool?

marooko
05-13-2008, 08:08 AM
cool? pretty sure its required.

bug on your lip
05-13-2008, 08:09 AM
flannel was more of a lukewarm hug than ever cool

Young blood
05-13-2008, 08:10 AM
Ill take that hug and buy me some grunge.

invisiblerobots
05-13-2008, 08:43 AM
We keep all of the grunge and flannel in a museum these days.

Young blood
05-13-2008, 08:46 AM
Killah whales?

JClemy
I don't live there but Pike Place is cool(see them throwing fish), SAM is pretty neat(seattle art museum), Jimi Hendrix/Sci Fi museum, Space Needle if you've never been there, The Mariners games are cheap and fun(get an Ichiroll). The lusty lady has a great marquis. Get some sushi.

invisiblerobots
nice how many Belgium beers do they have on tap?

Capital hill? tell me more..

Capitol Hill is the second most densely populated neighborhood in Seattle, Washington, United States, after Belltown (in northern downtown). It is the center of gay life in Seattle and also a center of the city's counterculture, while also home to some of the city's grandest mansions and many attractions.

The origin of the neighborhood's name is disputed. According to one story, James A. Moore, the real estate developer who platted much of the area, named it thus in the hope that the Washington government would move to Seattle from Olympia. According to another, Moore named it after the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Denver, Colorado, his wife's hometown. It is thought by the editors of HistoryLink that the true story is a combination of the two.

Wmgaretjax would be able to tell you more, that's more of his area. I'm a few blocks north of Belltown and I spend much of my free time at Shorty's playing pinball and drinking alcohol.

Young blood
05-13-2008, 08:47 AM
Jimi Hendrix/Sci Fi museum? Is this like one in the same?

How is the resturant on the space needle? Or is it a tourist tarp?

Hannahrain
05-13-2008, 08:48 AM
I love flannel. Flannel flannel flannel. I will put on flannel and give flannel disparagers a roundhouse kick to the face.

Flannel.

Young blood
05-13-2008, 08:49 AM
Wmgaretjax would be able to tell you more, that's more of his area. I'm a few blocks north of Belltown and I spend much of my free time at Shorty's playing pinball and drinking alcohol.

If you were to go to see some cool shit like hobo fights or feed the seals garlic bread where would you go?

Young blood
05-13-2008, 08:50 AM
Is capitol hill just drinking establishments?

invisiblerobots
05-13-2008, 08:52 AM
Jimi Hendrix/Sci Fi museum? Is this like one in the same?

How is the resturant on the space needle? Or is it a tourist tarp?

The EMP is connected to the SciFi museum and they share admission. Haven't been to the SciFi part yet though.
The restaurant at the Space Needle sucks. Visit the observation deck but definitely go elsewhere to eat.

invisiblerobots
05-13-2008, 08:54 AM
If you were to go to see some cool shit like hobo fights or feed the seals garlic bread where would you go?

Hobo fights are usually held in Pioneer Square, which is south of the main downtown area and north of the stadiums.
The seals usually hang out at the Ballard Locks but you might see a few down by the ferry docks too. Ivar's is good for hurling food into the water. They actually encourage it!

invisiblerobots
05-13-2008, 08:55 AM
Is capitol hill just drinking establishments?

No, they have gay nightclubs too.

JClemy
05-13-2008, 08:55 AM
The SciFi part is pretty cool. Nerdy but cool. If you have a day the day/night admission is kinda cool for the space needle. You get to go once when the sun is out and once after it goes down. Kinda gives you the whole experience. I looked at the menu on the Space needle restraunt and I agree it looked kinda crappy and over priced. There is a fish place in pikes place market that has really good fish and chips but I'm sure everywhere does.

Hannahrain
05-13-2008, 08:56 AM
Tourist tarp.

Blinken
05-13-2008, 08:57 AM
I kinda want to go visit seattle now.

Blinken
05-13-2008, 08:57 AM
Tourist tarp.

Tourist Tarp - A tarp made of tourist skin.

Young blood
05-13-2008, 08:58 AM
pikes place market.....Is that the place to go to hurl a sturgeon at people that you always see on the interludes before monday night football games? Is it cool?

invisiblerobots
05-13-2008, 08:59 AM
http://elitemrp.net/iat/examples/tarp.jpg

JClemy
I kinda want to go visit seattle now.

I've been twice and I haven't enjoyed it too much either time. It's the only city on the west coast that when it was time to leave I didn't feel like I missed anything and was ready to leave. The people are super nice though and their transit is awesome. They do have some of the shittiest drivers though!

JClemy
pikes place market.....Is that the place to go to hurl a sturgeon at people that you always see on the interludes before monday night football games? Is it cool?

Actually it's really cool. Thats the fish market in Pikes Place.

Hannahrain
05-13-2008, 09:00 AM
J, I wouldn't let location keep you from hurling a sturgeon at someone at any given time. Then if they're like WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM, you can be like oh sorry, I'm from Seattle.

Young blood
05-13-2008, 09:01 AM
decent ferry rides?

I NEED TO VISIT A KILLER WHALE THATS NOT IN A MEXICAN AQUARIUM!

invisiblerobots
05-13-2008, 09:01 AM

The guys at Pike Place Market are usually hurling salmon. If you ask nice they might let you have a go. Yes the market is cool but us locals try to avoid it on the weekends when it gets overrun by slow-moving gawkers. Excellent selections of produce, fish, baked goods and good places to grab a meal.

invisiblerobots
05-13-2008, 09:03 AM
decent ferry rides?

You're not too likely to see a killer whale near Seattle. I've only seen them up in the San Juan Islands which is a bit of a journey north.

Young blood
05-13-2008, 09:04 AM
J, I wouldn't let location keep you from hurling a sturgeon at someone at any given time. Then if they're like WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM, you can be like oh sorry, I'm from Seattle.

Good Idea!

I need to brush up on my catching skills just in case someone from Seattle surprise hurls one at me while im reading my USA today.

Young blood
05-13-2008, 09:05 AM
The guys at Pike Place Market are usually hurling salmon. If you ask nice they might let you have a go. Yes the market is cool but us locals try to avoid it on the weekends when it gets overrun by slow-moving gawkers. Excellent selections of produce, fish, baked goods and good places to grab a meal.

Thank you.

no weekends check.

Decent food check.

JClemy
05-13-2008, 09:06 AM

Thats a good idea. I'll yell "INCOMING" and throw a giant salmon into their faces. I think I should start something like that here in Alberta. Grab a giant cut of beef and throw it at people!

I was there on the weekend the first time and it was CRAZY. The second time was better cause it was a Tuesday. Try Beechers cheese and the flavoured vinegar place. The french pastry place was really good too. I wish I had asked to throw a fish! You can also check out the first starbucks and get a picture of the mermaid boobies!

Young blood
05-13-2008, 09:08 AM
I was there on the weekend the first time and it was CRAZY. The second time was better cause it was a Tuesday. Try Beechers cheese and the flavoured vinegar place. The french pastry place was really good too. I wish I had asked to throw a fish! You can also check out the first starbucks and get a picture of the mermaid boobies!

I like mermaid boobs and coffee. This is doable.

Hannahrain
05-13-2008, 09:09 AM
Good Idea!

I need to brush up on my catching skills just in case someone from Seattle surprise hurls one at me while im reading my USA today.

"Awwwww man. My bad. I'm sorry. I didn't realize that wasn't cool here. Want a napkin?"

invisiblerobots
05-13-2008, 09:13 AM
I like mermaid boobs and coffee. This is doable.

Here's the original logo. Apparently it's considered too risqué for the rest of the world. I have no idea why.
http://www.wordlab.com/images/Starbucks.Logo.Original.jpg

Young blood
05-13-2008, 09:15 AM
Why is her tail(s?) spread? She is so grabin her fins.....dirty.

Young blood
05-13-2008, 09:16 AM
"Awwwww man. My bad. I'm sorry. I didn't realize that wasn't cool here. Want a napkin?"

Im going to try it with anchovy first just to gauge the general acceptable fish face serve.

invisiblerobots
05-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Why is her tail(s?) spread? She is so grabin her fins.....dirty.

She's actually a double-tailed siren. Dirty sirens are deemed acceptable 'round these parts.

Hannahrain
05-13-2008, 09:18 AM
http://laughingbone.blogspot.com/2005/06/logo-history-starbucks.html

JClemy
05-13-2008, 09:19 AM
She's a dirty mermaid. Ariel would be jealous cause she gets all the attention from the boy mermaids.

Hannahrain
05-13-2008, 09:21 AM
Starbucks is getting back to their roots, using the full logo again. They just put her hair over her boobs a little. And they've introduced "Pike Place Roast" as their new standard.

Young blood
05-13-2008, 09:21 AM
She's actually a double-tailed siren. Dirty sirens are deemed acceptable 'round these parts.

huh. ill be dammed. you learn sumthin new everyday. SEATTLE FACT.

Young blood
05-13-2008, 09:22 AM
http://laughingbone.blogspot.com/2005/06/logo-history-starbucks.html

SEATTLE FACT.

Hannahrain
05-13-2008, 09:23 AM
http://www.seriouseats.com/required_eating/images/starbuckslogos.jpg

That one in the right bottom corner. Oh dear.

I mean, you can't tell me you don't see spread legs and bad leggings.

superfiction
05-13-2008, 09:24 AM
yeah pretty much everything cool to do here has been covered. we have a sculpture park too. i havent visited it yet so i dont even know if its finished really but its supposed to be cool

Young blood
05-13-2008, 09:30 AM
Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions. god bless.

invisiblerobots
05-13-2008, 09:31 AM
yeah pretty much everything cool to do here has been covered. we have a sculpture park too. i havent visited it yet so i dont even know if its finished really but its supposed to be cool

I live a few blocks from it and I'd say that it's worth a visit, especially on a nice day. They did a pretty good job of cleaning up that area and Myrtle Edwards Park is not nearly as sketchy as it used to be. I guess they shooed most of the crackheads elsewhere so they wouldn't bother the sculptures.

invisiblerobots
05-13-2008, 09:34 AM
That one in the right bottom corner. Oh dear.

I mean, you can't tell me you don't see spread legs and bad leggings.

Yes, that one was pretty tacky. I remember giggling at the original when I was a kid. Now that we've come full circle I feel obligated to giggle once again. Oh you, Starbucks!

kreutz2112
05-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Isn't there a bridge troll in capital hill? I think it captured a VW beetle.

invisiblerobots
05-13-2008, 09:43 AM
Isn't there a bridge troll in capital hill? I think it captured a VW beetle.

No, the troll is in Fremont, under the Aurora Bridge.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/165/405953613_6fb49faf88.jpg

kreutz2112
05-13-2008, 09:48 AM
yeah. Fremonts cool. That's where my friend that lives in seattle took us when we went up there for daft punk. Aren't there a lot of bars in fremont?

invisiblerobots
05-13-2008, 09:53 AM
yeah. Fremonts cool. That's where my friend that lives in seattle took us when we went up there for daft punk. Aren't there a lot of bars in fremont?

Yeah, there are quite a few bars there and a couple small venues for shows too. Fremont has been steadily become gentrified over the last decade. It used to be a quiet little enclave with artists and other eccentric people (like the ones that made the Troll). Ever since Adobe and Getty Images set up big offices there the spirit of the area has begun to change and the condos started going up. It's still a cool area, though, and worth a trip north from downtown if you've got some extra time.

kreutz2112
05-13-2008, 09:56 AM
I actually had the best time in fremont out of anywhere in seattle. We went and ate at a pub and then bar hopped and saw a bunch of local bands. I

Young blood
05-13-2008, 09:58 AM
I have been reading the seattle weekly and it said the best beer hall in freemont was Chinook's at Salmon Bay...is this true?

rage patton
05-13-2008, 10:02 AM
Killah whales?

Invisiblerobots is right. Not in Seattle. If you come up to Vancouver though, there are lots and lots a whale seeing tours.

invisiblerobots
05-13-2008, 10:06 AM
I have been reading the seattle weekly and it said the best beer hall in freemont was Chinook's at Salmon Bay...is this true?

The Weekly sucks. Chinook's is neither a beer hall nor is it in Fremont. In Fremont I like Brouwer's Cafe which is a Belgian place. Check it: http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Location?location=30441

wmgaretjax
05-13-2008, 10:08 AM
My favorite bars on capitol hill are:
Cha Cha - total hipster joint, but good bartenders and always a packed crowd
The Hideaway - nice small, lower key place with a lot of cool quirks

My favorite restaurants:
Via Tribunali - best pizza in seattle (up on the hill)
The Honey Hole (BBQ joint up on the hill)
Betty or Crow (nicer Americana on Queene Anne)
Pho Bac (best Pho in seattle, in the international district)
Chez Gaudy (awesome italian place on the hill that walks around a bunch of small dishes that you pick and choose from, with really good deals on wine on tuesdays)

Clubs:
I dig Neighbours, despite being a "gay club" the crowd is really diverse, the music is solid, and it's good for dancing. I'm not a big "club" person, I just like dancing on occassion.

Young blood
05-13-2008, 10:09 AM
The stranger. cool. Brouwers Cafe. check.

Young blood
05-13-2008, 10:10 AM
My favorite bars on capitol hill are:
Cha Cha - total hipster joint, but good bartenders and always a packed crowd
The Hideaway - nice small, lower key place with a lot of cool quirks

My favorite restaurants:
Via Tribunali - best pizza in seattle (up on the hill)
The Honey Hole (BBQ joint up on the hill)
Betty or Crow (nicer Americana on Queene Anne)
Pho Bac (best Pho in seattle, in the international district)
Chez Gaudy (awesome italian place on the hill that walks around a bunch of small dishes that you pick and choose from, with really good deals on wine on tuesdays)

Clubs:
I dig Neighbours, despite being a "gay club" the crowd is really diverse, the music is solid, and it's good for dancing. I'm not a big "club" person, I just like dancing on occassion.

Boom thank you. I think the first neighborhood visting is victoria or summthing like that which is around the corner...maybe?

Hannahrain
05-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Go to the Elliott Bay Book Company for me, please.

wmgaretjax
05-13-2008, 10:22 AM
Go to the Elliott Bay Book Company for me, please.

Yes. And if you like bookstores. My favorites are: Art Books Press (in Ballard) and Abraxus (also in Ballard).

Also, Ballard has an awesome bar called Kings that has Ski ball.

Hannahrain
05-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Dear Seattle,

It's looking like I might be in you for Bumbershoot. Are there any cheap hotels/motels you would recommend over others? There are two of us and we are female. So uh, no rape-y places.

Thanks,
Hannah

Young blood
05-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Dear Hannah,

ME TOO!

<3
J~

Hannahrain
05-13-2008, 01:08 PM
YEAHHH. I still don't know for sure. I haven't even proposed it to my likeliest travel buddy. But I bet she'll want to. It might be a little ambitious, because I will have just gotten back from Portugal earlier that month, but it's a lot less expensive than I thought it would be.

invisiblerobots
05-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Dear Seattle,

It's looking like I might be in you for Bumbershoot. Are there any cheap hotels/motels you would recommend over others? There are two of us and we are female. So uh, no rape-y places.

Thanks,
Hannah

I always recommend the Marqueen (http://www.marqueen.com) to visitors. Awesome location and nice rooms but it may be a bit on the spendy side. The Holiday Inn Express City Center and the Mediterranean Inn also seem to be fairly well rated too but I don't have personal experience with these. Stay away from anything on Aurora to avoid creepy rapeyness.

kreutz2112
05-13-2008, 01:19 PM
I want to go. The lineup this year is better than it was last year. I will contact my travel buddy and see if he wants to go. Plus tix are only $80 right now. Unless you do the gold or platinum package.

rage patton
05-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Bumbershoot is a great festival. Tickets are only $80 and there are still probably 30+ more bands to be anounced. Already its worth the $80 for me.

thestripe
05-13-2008, 01:37 PM
I might just attend Bumbershoot.

kreutz2112
05-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Bumbershoot is a great festival. Tickets are only $80 and there are still probably 30+ more bands to be anounced. Already its worth the $80 for me.

yeah me too. I would also probably drive there which would cost ~$280 round trip...maybe it would be cheaper to fly if there are only two of us driving. hmmmmm

rage patton
05-13-2008, 01:46 PM
Speaking of Bumbershoot... Ludacris just cancelled.

thestripe
05-13-2008, 01:50 PM
yeah me too. I would also probably drive there which would cost ~$280 round trip...maybe it would be cheaper to fly if there are only two of us driving. hmmmmm

Kreutz, I just looked up flights on expedia and they are just shy of $280 out of SLC. It's a little better for me out of Sacramento, about $175. I think I might just drive.

kreutz2112
05-13-2008, 01:57 PM
yeah. On southwest it's $197 a person out of slc. Driving would be much better.

Hannahrain
05-13-2008, 02:05 PM
Am officially going. Travel partner was thrilled.

full on idle
05-13-2008, 02:10 PM
I'll be at Bumbershoot! At least for either Friday or Saturday.

Hey Bill did you go to Subtle on Saturday? I looked for you. That Nectar place is cool. I did not like the Indian slash Mediterrenean restaurant we went to before the show across the street though. It was tres average.

JClemy
05-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Don't stay at the Day's Inn in Seattle. It fucking sucked. The Days Inn near the space needle.

superfiction
05-13-2008, 08:43 PM
Speaking of Bumbershoot... Ludacris just cancelled.

oh shucks...haha

Geno_g
05-13-2008, 09:26 PM
The Stumbling Munk had about 13 belgium beers on tap, not to metion beers I have never seen before in bottles in any store, not even Bev'mo. Plus the chicks that hang out at this spot were banging!

Geno_g
05-13-2008, 09:28 PM
I stayed at Lower Queen Ann Hotel, right across the street from the space needle, and the Key Arena, it was nice.

wmgaretjax
05-13-2008, 10:52 PM
I'll be at Bumbershoot! At least for either Friday or Saturday.

Hey Bill did you go to Subtle on Saturday? I looked for you. That Nectar place is cool. I did not like the Indian slash Mediterrenean restaurant we went to before the show across the street though. It was tres average.

No, I'm fucking pissed. I'm sick as hell, and I'm super bummed. Was it good? I dig the new album (not as good as the last, but good).

As far as places to stay in Seattle that are cheap, the Green Tortoise hostel is cheap (this is way on the cheap end). Right downtown. Safe enough. I don't know anything else.

Hannahrain
05-13-2008, 11:00 PM
I was just looking at that one earlier. If my planned couch falls through I think I'll try to stay there. "Safe enough" is good enough for me.

fasttrack
05-14-2008, 12:41 AM

shorty's is awesome. probably my favorite in beltown. linda's on capitol hill has a good happy hour. five point has great after drinking food.

signmeup
05-14-2008, 01:06 AM
eat at DICKS!

fasttrack
05-14-2008, 01:17 AM
dicks is a ripoff. small burgers for too much money.

invisiblerobots
05-14-2008, 05:43 AM
I stayed at Lower Queen Ann Hotel, right across the street from the space needle, and the Key Arena, it was nice.

Huh? I live in lower Queen Anne and know of no such place. Do you mean the Inn at Queen Anne (http://www.innatqueenanne.com/)? That place seems pretty nice and it's right next door to the liquor store.

wmgaretjax
05-14-2008, 08:28 AM
dicks is a ripoff. small burgers for too much money.

While Dicks might not be the best place... Calling it a ripoff for a 1.30 burger is kind of silly...

Shorty's is a cool bar. And Linda's is really nice until it gets later, I always end up irritated there by the time 11 or so rolls around. Their happy hour does rock though.

For sunny afternoons I also like the patio at the Whisky Bar downtown, also a good happy hour... But again, not really keen on the place later.

full on idle
05-14-2008, 09:36 AM
No, I'm fucking pissed. I'm sick as hell, and I'm super bummed. Was it good? I dig the new album (not as good as the last, but good).

It was a pretty freaking good show. Efterklang were great.

What's up with the only wearing black or brown out to shows in Seattle though? Seriously. I'm not exaggerating when I say that there was one (1) girl there who had a red sweater on and the rest of the crowd wore black or brown. And didn't get at all rowdy. We looked like jumping beans in the middle of an art lecture.

wmgaretjax
05-14-2008, 09:38 AM
It was a pretty freaking good show. Efterklang were great.

What's up with the only wearing black or brown out to shows in Seattle though? Seriously. I'm not exaggerating when I say that there was one (1) girl there who had a red sweater on and the rest of the crowd wore black or brown. And didn't get at all rowdy. We looked like jumping beans in the middle of an art lecture.

Fremont... Everyone wears earthy colors or black. Some shows really suck for dancing in Seattle. Fucking hipsters and their cool restraint...

full on idle
05-14-2008, 09:40 AM
the fuck's so cool about Fremont.

anyways I'll be back in July for the sub pop fest and I'm going to track you down.

bmack86
05-14-2008, 09:59 AM
Valarie, you just reminded me to check out when Efterklang are playing in LA. Turns out its tonight. And I wannna goooo

wmgaretjax
05-14-2008, 10:02 AM
the fuck's so cool about Fremont.

anyways I'll be back in July for the sub pop fest and I'm going to track you down.

sounds golden.

Hannahrain
05-17-2008, 08:08 AM
BLACK KEYS.

Hannahrain
05-17-2008, 08:09 AM
Also Band of Horses. And then a few bands that I don't care about. But, BLACK KEYS.

boarderwoozel3
05-17-2008, 08:59 AM
Could you plz tell me about your city?

Good resturants, clubs, bars, activities, most important things to see. oh and ferry/boat rides/sites.

and possible unique facts.

Thnxs hugs and kisses,

<3 J~

OK, its been mentioned before but the Coachella crowd would dig Capitol Hill, its where all the hipsters call home including myself, though I'm not really a hipster. Capitol Hill is also the super gay friendly part of town.

Pioneer Square has a shit-ton of bars and clubs but caters more to the club-rat types. Everyone is totally superficial, you'll be charged a cover everywhere and the drinks are often suspect. Personally I hate Pioneer Square but if thats your scene, you should check it out, shit gets wild down there.

Pikes Place is fun to check out during the day. If you want to see them throw fish you need to get there early, like AM. Theres also a big farmer's market, art, restaurants, and tons of cool random shops in the complex (including a magic shop, fun!)

And of course theres always the Space Needle. Its a fun thing to do once, its an amazing view form up there, bring your camera!

Next to the space needle is the Experience Music Project or EMP. This is the music museum Paul Allen (Bill Gates' right hand man in Microsoft) donated to the city. Its FUCKING AWESOME! The whole museum is dedicated to music and most modern music at that! There are also lots of interactive features/exhibits. Coachellaers would love it. You must go.

Thats it for now, more to come. :D

kreutz2112
05-17-2008, 09:25 AM
BLACK KEYS.

oooo

that was a recent addition too.

frankl
05-17-2008, 02:55 PM
You should check out the Seattle Public Library:
http://www.law.seattleu.edu/llsa/nllsac/Seattle%20Public%20Library.jpg

Also definitely take a ferry ride, there are many routes (http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/info_desk/route-maps/) but the ones to Bainbridge Island or Bremerton are pretty spectacular for views especially of downtown Seattle.

menikmati
05-17-2008, 02:59 PM
Take the ferry to either Kingston or Bainbridge (forget which of those two now), and go say hi to Chad Channing.

BlueDevil50
08-30-2009, 01:27 AM
i'm curious about seattle...i would love to live there. can i get some update input from some residents about the pros and cons? jeffy my boy?

fikus222
08-30-2009, 05:24 PM
Seattle is a nice, mostly clean city which gets a lot of, but not all of the music that you would want. It isn't as an expensive place as California, but it isn't too far behind either. The city itself has an abundance of character with lots of trees, hills, fresh water and sweet views of two major mountain chains. There are many different neighborhoods with their own distinctive personalities. Traffic kind of stinks, but the distances are relatively small. There are good restaurants, bars/breweries, there are few clubs, but the music venues are pretty good. Pets are welcomed by almost all residences and outdoor activities are abundant.

Overall, I'm very glad I have had the chance to live here, but I welcome moving back to the Bay Area too.

BlueDevil50
09-19-2009, 01:29 AM
wow...roundtrip tix from san francisco to seattle are only $99 bucks.

boxofbox
09-19-2009, 01:48 AM
wow...roundtrip tix from san francisco to seattle are only $99 bucks.

Make sure you do it soon. Summers are where it's at in Seattle. Come before mid-October otherwise it'll be pretty gray with a chance of showers until next Spring.

MarkO
09-19-2009, 06:44 AM
Seattle has the best radio station I've heard in America. www.kexp.org

boarderwoozel3
09-19-2009, 08:57 AM
Make sure you do it soon. Summers are where it's at in Seattle. Come before mid-October otherwise it'll be pretty gray with a chance of showers until next Spring.

Seattle has the best radio station I've heard in America. www.kexp.org

Both are true, shitty and awesome respectively. The weather is a drag but it means a ton of snowfall if you ski/board. But the mountains aren't as big as CA so the quality runs are limited. I miss Squaw...

One of my favorite things about Seattle is the close proximity and distinct character of all the different nieghborhoods. Great beer city too.

invisiblerobots
09-19-2009, 09:14 AM
Personally, I love the weather dynamics here. I've hated the hot sunny days that we've had all summer long that bake my building like a brick oven but I do love the windy storms that rush in on a moment's notice. Rain is awesome, when it happens, and on the chance occasion that we get snow I love it even more. I love walking out of my home and smelling the salt water drifting up from the Sound and just being able to go anywhere. As boarderwoozel3 mentioned, nothing is too far apart and I can generally walk anywhere that I need to get to or hop a bus if one happens by. The new light rail makes it super easy to get to the airport now too. From downtown it only takes about 45 minutes and once they complete the final link in December it'll only take about 34 minutes.
And yes, kexp is a great radio station. Contribute to public radio.

MarkO
09-19-2009, 09:18 AM
Unfortunately, of all the places in America I've been to and driven through, Seattle & WA State have the worst drivers & traffic. I *hate* driving to Seattle.

invisiblerobots
09-19-2009, 09:25 AM
Unfortunately, of all the places in America I've been to and driven through, Seattle & WA State have the worst drivers & traffic. I *hate* driving to Seattle.

Really? Have you driven in NY or LA? Both of those areas have bigger asshats than mellow/passive-aggressive Seattle.

MarkO
09-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Really? Have you driven in NY or LA? Both of those areas have bigger asshats than mellow/passive-aggressive Seattle.

Yes, both Manhattan and LA (in a RV too). No problems at all.

WA drivers are completely oblivious to what's around them.

invisiblerobots
09-19-2009, 09:38 AM

Well yes, I'll grant you that. Nobody looks in their rearview mirror to notice that they're blocking the passing lane. It's a weird phenomenon here. I just gun it down the center or right lane without any problems. It's a regional adjustment but I wouldn't rank it with the insane lane changes I saw last week heading out of NYC.

BlueDevil50
09-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Personally, I love the weather dynamics here. I've hated the hot sunny days that we've had all summer long that bake my building like a brick oven but I do love the windy storms that rush in on a moment's notice. Rain is awesome, when it happens, and on the chance occasion that we get snow I love it even more. I love walking out of my home and smelling the salt water drifting up from the Sound and just being able to go anywhere. As boarderwoozel3 mentioned, nothing is too far apart and I can generally walk anywhere that I need to get to or hop a bus if one happens by. The new light rail makes it super easy to get to the airport now too. From downtown it only takes about 45 minutes and once they complete the final link in December it'll only take about 34 minutes.
And yes, kexp is a great radio station. Contribute to public radio.

this sounds like a commercial and makes me want to move there even more...i LOVE the rain.

boarderwoozel3
09-19-2009, 10:43 AM

Half the highway going 5mph under the speed limit on a clear day. Maddening.

Driving in LA is just scary. Seattle is more irritating due to everyone's willingness to give the other guy the right of way and general caution. It's puzzling how many people are poor drivers in adverse weather conditions too. People up here are crummy wet weather drivers and simply don't know how to drive in snow. Makes no sense.

Aurgasm
09-19-2009, 10:49 AM
the match is on

boxofbox
09-20-2009, 02:36 AM

I'm not sure I'm totally on board with you here. I tend to get freaked out more when I drive in CA because everyone drives so close and no one uses a turn signal.

I use the bus most days anyways and we have light rail coming soon (only what, about 10 years too late...)

boarderwoozel3
09-20-2009, 03:22 AM
But we've got some top notch seafood and one of the better restaurants you can ever hope to come across. Wild Ginger, it's Asian fusion and it's spec-friggn-tacular. Worth every penny and then some. Get the duck and spicy green beans. And a brilliant wine list.

cubrocker
09-20-2009, 10:12 AM
i had some pretty awesome salmon-eggs benedict in a place in belltown called the cyclops cafe? and if i remember correctly it turned into a night club at night? but it was good breakfast.

gosh i need to get back to seattle soon.

miscorrections
09-20-2009, 11:45 AM
It seems like all the bars here do breakfast/brunch. Is brunch the official city pasttime or what? Seriously, it's everywhere.

Courtney
09-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Sounds like my kind of city. Brunch is the best meal ever.

cubrocker
09-20-2009, 12:14 PM
Sounds like my kind of city. Brunch is the best meal ever.

brunch is good but what about fourthmeal?

Courtney
09-20-2009, 12:17 PM
I don't stay up late enough for fourthmeal. Most days, I'm in bed by 9-10pm. Apparently I'm a 60 year old grandmother.

superfiction
09-20-2009, 12:27 PM
i just moved to seattle yesterday wooooo out of the boonies and into the city.
....but i still prefer the boonies haha. its great here though. i dunno if id really want to just come hang out here if i didnt live here. maybe a weekend trip but i really love living in WA

cubrocker
09-20-2009, 12:28 PM
I don't stay up late enough for fourthmeal. Most days, I'm in bed by 9-10pm. Apparently I'm a 60 year old grandmother.

ive tried sleeping at that time, it doesnt work. ill end up staring at the cieling for two hours, getting back outa bed and going out for a beer.

miscorrections
09-20-2009, 12:37 PM
I always mean to go to bed early but somehow it doesn't happen.

Courtney
09-20-2009, 12:40 PM
It helps if you live in a city where everything shuts down by 8pm. I never managed to go to bed this early in New York or Los Angeles. But in Honolulu, even all the fast food places and gas stations close at 9pm.

cubrocker
09-20-2009, 12:42 PM
oh odd. tucson isnt much of a 24 hour city, but maybe midnight or 2am.

Courtney
09-20-2009, 12:43 PM
I think it has something to do with the passed down sugar plantation/farmer mentality of dawn-to-dusk. Well, and also everyone wants to wake up at 5am to go surfing.

But this is a thread about Seattle.

invisiblerobots
09-21-2009, 04:17 PM
i had some pretty awesome salmon-eggs benedict in a place in belltown called the cyclops cafe? and if i remember correctly it turned into a night club at night? but it was good breakfast.

gosh i need to get back to seattle soon.

The Cyclops rules. It exists pretty much between my home and anything else I'd want to hit up in the city which makes it a reliable stop either coming or going. It really doesn't change into anything different at night but as far as I know you can get the brunch all day/night long. I'm partial to the Migas and my man Dylan rocks a pretty good bloody mary.

boarderwoozel3
09-21-2009, 04:27 PM
Not too far from belltown, the Crumpet shop in Pikes Place. Their pesto and tomato crumpet is the kind of thing dreams are made of.

BlueDevil50
09-22-2009, 02:35 AM
how much of a hassle is it to get around downtown without a car? i'm thinking about getting a hotel in downtown and not too sure if i wanna pay the money for a car.

superfiction
09-22-2009, 04:01 AM
how much of a hassle is it to get around downtown without a car? i'm thinking about getting a hotel in downtown and not too sure if i wanna pay the money for a car.

the bus system downtown is actually pretty great as well as if you dont mind walking everything is totally walkable....long walks but walks none the less. i did it back in junior high and stuff.

westcoastpirate
09-22-2009, 06:38 AM
Stay at the Moore Hotel, it's like $70/night.

miscorrections
09-22-2009, 08:52 AM
Seattle is extremely walkable. Downtown isn't very big and it's but a short walk to Capitol Hill (venues, etc), but the buses are pretty reliable and there's approximately eighty thousand of them.

fikus222
09-22-2009, 09:00 AM
Seattle is extremely walkable. Downtown isn't very big and it's but a short walk to Capitol Hill (venues, etc), but the buses are pretty reliable and there's approximately eighty thousand of them.

Now available at twice the price. UWs U-Pass (which is awesome, you get to ride all public transit for free within King County anytime) was like $44 last Spring and is now almost $100 a quarter. I know that our city, state and country are poor, but doubling the price, sheesh. I'll still get my money's worth the first month of school, but just because I can afford (GI Bill and Student Loans) to pay double the price doesn't mean this is true for all students.

miscorrections
09-22-2009, 09:11 AM
U-pass is $20 out of each paycheck for me. $40/month, but I try not to be bitter because even if I just use the bus to go to and from work 5 days a week I'm saving $30/month. Considering I use the buses more than that it's actually a decently good deal.

boarderwoozel3
09-22-2009, 09:13 AM
Big fan of the U-pass, big fan.

miscorrections
09-22-2009, 09:14 AM
I'm pleased that it works for the light rail. Once that airport station is up it will be amazing.

boarderwoozel3
09-22-2009, 09:17 AM
Definitely, at the moment it's still quicker to take the bus from downtown that goes on I-5 to the airport. The 194, I think.

It's going to be money when they finish the final airport link and Capitol Hill line.

TomAz
09-22-2009, 09:23 AM

I travel to Seattle several times a year, always stay downtown, and never ever rent a car.

BlueDevil50
09-22-2009, 10:55 AM
awesome...thanks for the feedback. so i'm guessing it's not too hard to get to qwest field or udub's stadium?

miscorrections
09-22-2009, 11:00 AM
You can easily walk to the field from downtown (or take a bus if you're lazy/in case of inclement weather) and the stadium is but a short bus ride.

miscorrections
09-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Oh also there's a free bus zone downtown but it doesn't make sense to me unless the weather sucks because seriously it is just as fast to walk.

westcoastpirate
09-22-2009, 11:18 AM
I'll be up there Oct 18-21 for work. Will the A Place to Bury Strangers show sell out? What is the venue like where they are playing?

And any bar and restaurant recommendations are greatly appreciated (near the Moore hotel), comfort food preferably.

miscorrections
09-22-2009, 11:20 AM
It seems like nothing sells out here. They're playing the Crocodile in Belltown, looks alright but I haven't been there yet.

JewFace
09-22-2009, 11:23 AM
The project I'm working on right now is shooting in Seattle later this week. Just one day, but I'm excited! I've always wanted to visit Seattle, but haven't been able to make it happen before. I can't wait! Grunge and Starbucks! It's gonna be awesome!

miscorrections
09-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Don't go to Starbucks.

JewFace
09-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Ummm... kidding. Obvs. Sheesh! Women and humor. Oil and water. Just ask that dude Tina Fey. Good guy.

TomAz
09-22-2009, 11:33 AM
And any bar and restaurant recommendations are greatly appreciated (near the Moore hotel), comfort food preferably.

Dahlia Lounge

Lola

BlueDevil50
09-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Don't go to Starbucks.

i thought you were in san diego? did you move for school?

miscorrections
09-22-2009, 11:40 AM
I moved for work.

BlueDevil50
09-22-2009, 11:48 AM
awesome! check your pm's...i'm trying to figure out seattle and so far jeff's been the only helpful one =)

miscorrections
09-22-2009, 11:56 AM
I have nary a PM. Make sure you actually sent it to me because there's some unused miscorrection (singular) alias floating around.

BlueDevil50
09-22-2009, 12:41 PM
Hopefully that worked. It said the first one sent so that's weird.

miscorrections
09-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Maybe it's glitching 'cause still nothing.

invisiblerobots
09-22-2009, 01:28 PM
The Croc (http://thecrocodile.com/index.html) is a great venue, especially since the heavy remodel. Be sure to show up early and grab a pizza at Via Tribunali (http://www.viatribunali.net) (located within) before the show.

fikus222
09-22-2009, 01:37 PM
awesome! check your pm's...i'm trying to figure out seattle and so far jeff's been the only helpful one =)

Sorry 'bout that. It's hard for me to provide any really helpful info on specific apartments and jobs. This is because both my wife and I are students at UW and because we live in University run housing, albeit really nice and perfectly situated housing.

Seattle pretty much has a neighborhood to fit everyone's tastes. What you are looking for in a neighborhood?

fikus222
09-22-2009, 01:42 PM
I was watching TV late(ish) Saturday or Sunday night and this Seattle based sketch comedy show from the early 90s came on. I'd never seen it before, it was called 'Almost Live.' Bill Nuy the Science Guy was one of the comedians starring in the show. I also so Kim Thayill in there a few times too. They did a lot of region/city based humor, it was funny cuz a lot of what they were making fun of still holds true today.

Here's the wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almost_Live!

BlueDevil50
09-22-2009, 03:15 PM
Maybe it's glitching 'cause still nothing.

I tried the option of sending you an email, not sure if that worked since I've never tried it before.

BlueDevil50
09-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Sorry 'bout that. It's hard for me to provide any really helpful info on specific apartments and jobs. This is because both my wife and I are students at UW and because we live in University run housing, albeit really nice and perfectly situated housing.

Seattle pretty much has a neighborhood to fit everyone's tastes. What you are looking for in a neighborhood?

My gf and I are looking for just a nice place, probably just 1 bedroom/1 bath, for under $1000.

We were looking into Tacoma since we found a bunch of great places, 2bd/2ba for $850. Then my Aunt, who lived in Queen Anne Hill or whatever, told me to not even go there and informed me about the "Tacoma Aroma."

miscorrections
09-22-2009, 03:49 PM
Email was successful. Also seriously just live in the city, Tacoma would be a pain in the ass.

boarderwoozel3
09-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Tacoma is cheap for a reason. It's grimey and there's very little to do. Everyone in the puget sound area makes fun of Tacoma because it sucks so bad. Just saying. Like MC said. Living in Seattle is the way to go.

BlueDevil50
09-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Are any of the places you guys work at hiring? My gf and I just need to get our foot in the door with any type of job...

miscorrections
09-24-2009, 01:46 PM
Isn't being a cop fairly transferrable?

MarkO
09-24-2009, 01:47 PM
They don't call it Tacompton for no reason.

fikus222
09-24-2009, 02:07 PM
Are any of the places you guys work at hiring? My gf and I just need to get our foot in the door with any type of job...

My wife and I are pretty insulated from the regular work force; I work for a small (5 person) Maritime Consultant Firm and my wife works at UWs Psychology Lab, so we aren't much help.

What does Craigslist have, anything?

Are you currently a police officer BlueDevil?

BlueDevil50
09-24-2009, 02:50 PM

It is, but for some reason Washington likes to be really lame and makes you sign up for publicsafetytesting.com and pay to take a written and physical test. Most places around here let you waive those two tests if you've already completed an Academy and shoot you straight through to the oral board testing. So ya, it is easy to transfer in terms of having the requirements, it's just a hassle having to fly up there for two test, then again for orals, then again for backgrounds, etc. It's like a four to six month process. That's why I was hoping for just any job just to get settled and while I go through that process.

miscorrections
09-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Wish I could help but working in a lab you only see fairly specific opportunities.

BlueDevil50
09-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Anyone familiar with the Terrace Apartments on 11th Avenue in First Hill/Capitol Hill? 1bd/1bath for $1000 a month and looks pretty nice.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/apa/1391189421.html

boarderwoozel3
09-24-2009, 09:09 PM
I think I walk by it going to and from the gym?

wmgaretjax
09-24-2009, 09:30 PM
Anyone familiar with the Terrace Apartments on 11th Avenue in First Hill/Capitol Hill? 1bd/1bath for $1000 a month and looks pretty nice.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/apa/1391189421.html

on the other side of seattle U? kind of a shitty area... a mix of college kids and first hill dregs.

boarderwoozel3
09-24-2009, 09:35 PM
I think I walk by it going to and from the gym?

Nevermind, I don't. (Profound help, I know)

BlueDevil50
09-25-2009, 12:28 AM
on the other side of seattle U? kind of a shitty area... a mix of college kids and first hill dregs.

What makes Capitol Hill so great?

Also why's this a shitty area? From the google street view, it looks nice and the building looks really cool. Is it JUST the shady people? I don't really mind college kids.

Thanks for the input Jared and Jeff, I'm all ears.

cowmonger
09-25-2009, 06:09 AM

If you've got $1000 for rent, there is no reason for you to be anywhere near First Hill. Find something on Capitol Hill, or Queen Anne. There's a ton available: hotpads.com (http://hotpads.com/search/#lat=47.62716528016843&lon=-122.33233451843262&zoom=22&listingTypes=rental&bedrooms=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8plus&lowPrice=800&highPrice=1000&includeVaguePricing=false&loan=30,0.0525,0&visible=new,viewed,favorite)

Quadromarshia
09-25-2009, 08:08 AM
Well I've been here about a month and a half now.

Here's some observations:

-Most of the shows I've wanted to see since I've been here are 21+ (which excludes me).
-Everett is not Seattle (a misconception I had before moving here).
-It's way more beautiful here than I expected, living between the sound and the mountains, and looking out of my office and seeing baker and ranier on a clear day.
-On I-5, it seems like most cars only have 1 person in it, which confuses me, because I had assumed that for being such a progressive city, people would get behind carpools and transit more.
-The citizenry isn't as wholly liberal as I thought it would be, but still a marked change over the south, from which I came.
-Teriyaki is great, half naked baristas are great.

wmgaretjax
09-25-2009, 09:42 AM
the vast majority of the people on I5 near the city don't live in seattle. they work there or go to school there. seattle is probably as progressive and liberal as it's reputation indicates... everywhere outside it is a different story...

for god sakes, everett is full of rednecks. of course you have that impression.

@bluedev

capitol hill is not necessarily great. there are oodles of self important kids. but there is also tons of good food, lots of shows, and some badass bars. first hill is grimy because of the hospital. also like i said, the SU students are generally pretty obnoxious.

Ballard is another great area. Very laid back, lots of nice food and bars. It's a little out of the way of most public transit (although it's entirely possible to use public transport and live in ballard), so having a car is essential for some people. you will definitely be able to find a 1br place for 800-1000 if memory serves.

BlueDevil50
09-25-2009, 07:52 PM
Thanks! What about Bellevue, Kirkland, Madison Valley and the other areas around Seattle? Any info will help so I won't get my hopes up like that apartment on 1st Hill.

miscorrections
09-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Don't do around. Live in the city.

BlueDevil50
09-25-2009, 08:23 PM
What are some of the neighborhood names besides Capitol Hill then? I think that's where I'm getting confused...

miscorrections
09-25-2009, 08:27 PM
Here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neighborhoods_in_Seattle)

BlueDevil50
09-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Duh, my bad...lol What's good and bad out of those? From your guys' personal standpoints.

miscorrections
09-25-2009, 08:41 PM
Wrong person to ask except don't live in the U District, it's horrid.

boarderwoozel3
09-25-2009, 08:55 PM
Downtown - The bars and apartments are expensive. Uber walkable, the hub of public transportation but no free parking at all. Tons of bums.

Pioneer Square - Southern tip of downtown. Douche bags from miles around come congregate here for its copious clubs and bars. Douchey scene. Crack heads galore.

Belltown - North east portion of downtown. Lots of yuppies so the rents and nightlife reflect that. There are still some solid bars around here but it's mostly clubs. And crappy clubs at that. Not my cup of tea.

First Hill - Around all the hospitals just to the south of Capitol Hill. The north part of First hill isn't bad as it's essentially capitol hill and a couple blocks from the Pike/Pine corridor which has tons of legit bars, a few music venues and some decent clubs. Too far south starts to get pretty grimy. Just east of downtown and totally walkable, good public transportation.

Capitol Hill - Where I call home. There's a Community College (Seattle Central) and is a ~15 min bus to UW. It's essentially the hub of counter culture in Seattle. Like wmgaretjax said, tons of self important hipsters, scenesters, artists and musicians. Mostly young people not necessarily in college. Not a so much a family friendly sort of place. Also the hub of gay culture in the city, which is quite prevalent. Parking can be a pain if you have a car but is manageable. Public transportation is also very good here. (Public transit is pretty good anywhere in the city for that matter) Plenty of laid back bars, a few clubs--mostly gay. Good times. I like being a stumble away from home.

University District - Everything you would expect from living next to a 40k person university. College bars, and all the shenanigans of youth.

That's all for now. More later.

wmgaretjax
09-25-2009, 09:09 PM
Ballard - Mellow. Laid back. Lots of people with beards... Great beer and scotch bars. Some good shows in proximity, but nothing like the hill in that regard. Lots of good eats and shopping. Great crowd. You can probably find a place in your price range.

Wallingford - Very family friendly neighborhood. Lots of old people. Some good food. Very community oriented and a good spot as far as commutes and public transport goes. You'd be lucky to find a place in your price range.

Fremont - Lots of young people on their way up the ladder. Will be yuppies and the like. Used to be an excellent neighborhood, a bit overrun by the just out of college crowd. Some really good bars and eats and a couple good venues... Hop skip and a jump away from everywhere else. You might be able to find an apt in your price range.

Queen Anne - Upper or lower... Great neighborhoods. Really mixed crowds... Some of the best eats in the city. Hands down. Lots of stuff within walking distance to most places. Pricey... So... Probably not except for the fringes.

Columbia City - Poorer area. Don't count it out though if you have a car. There are some great neighborhoods, it just takes some looking. You'll definitely be commuting for any going out you'll do.

Greenlake - If you like the suburb in a city vibe. This is totally your scene. Lots of young families and really nice but delusional people. Some good food, but you'll end up commuting for drinks and shows. Probably could find something in your price range on the edges, but you'd probably want a car.

Fuck the suburbs. Kirkland, Bellevue etc suck. You'll have a hard time finding a place in your budget that isn't in the divey areas of those suburbs. Seriously though. The suburbs in Seattle suck and traffic is a bitch to get into the city from most places. You'd be OK with a north seattle area like Lake City or Shoreline if you have a car. Especially as a temporary solution until you figure out the core of the city. But depending on your scene, it might not be the best time you've ever had.

BlueDevil50
09-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Awesome, couldn't have asked for more from you two! I'll do some searching for apartments and hopefully you guys can break down the list I come up with, that is if you know anything about the complex's and such. Thanks again.

superfiction
09-25-2009, 10:30 PM
Greenlake - If you like the suburb in a city vibe. This is totally your scene. Lots of young families and really nice but delusional people. Some good food, but you'll end up commuting for drinks and shows. Probably could find something in your price range on the edges, but you'd probably want a car.

i just moved here. its awesome. i love it.

wmgaretjax
09-25-2009, 10:34 PM
i just moved here. its awesome. no complaints.

Seems like a natural shift from Woodinville. I lived on the edge of greenlake for a year and it wasn't really my general preference... But I can't say that I had a bad time. The lake and all the runners bugged me for silly reasons... But I got over it. Also bizarre... I had a higher number of Jehovah's Witnesses show up at my door than anywhere else I've ever lived... Like once a month. It was kind of surreal.

JewFace
09-25-2009, 10:37 PM
I was just in Seattle for less than 24 hrs. The coffee was good. The people were gorgeous (what the heck is in the water up there?)

BlueDevil50
09-25-2009, 10:38 PM
i just moved here. its awesome. i love it.

How much do you pay for your place?

You too Jared.

wmgaretjax
09-25-2009, 10:41 PM
How much do you pay for your place?

You too Jared.

I paid 1250 for a 2 bedroom on capitol hill when i was there. in greenlake (3 years ago) i paid 450 for a room in a 4 bedroom house. But it was a shithole (i was poor and in school).

BlueDevil50
09-26-2009, 02:28 AM
So I know you said no Kirkland, but I have a friend who lives there and she loves it. I found a nice looking 2bd/1bth for $950. What's the negatives about Kirkland again?

I've been looking at Capitoll Hill and such but the apartments and condos just don't look as nice as some of the other areas. Am I making too big of a deal of the looks of the apartment and need to be more interested in location?

http://www.totemlakeapartments.com/index.html

boarderwoozel3
09-26-2009, 02:51 AM
Here's the deal, booo on your friend. You'll be very lucky to find a place in Cap Hill as nice as Kirkland for a similar price. Why? Because Kirkland is a suburb of Bellevue which is 20 min from Seattle. Like jared said, once you get out of the city things get really conservative, douchey and almost most importantly, there's traffic galore. If you want anything to do with live music, live in the city. Trust.

wmgaretjax
09-26-2009, 08:24 AM
So I know you said no Kirkland, but I have a friend who lives there and she loves it. I found a nice looking 2bd/1bth for $950. What's the negatives about Kirkland again?

I've been looking at Capitoll Hill and such but the apartments and condos just don't look as nice as some of the other areas. Am I making too big of a deal of the looks of the apartment and need to be more interested in location?

totem lake is even worse. there is nothing around there. the nightlife is non existent (other than trashy bars), the food is fast food or chain garbage... It's a typical suburb... If that's your thing or you can stomach it at least temporarily, it'll certainly be cheaper.

miscorrections
09-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Yes, you're making too big a deal about how the apartment looks. Think about it - if you have a job, you really don't spend too much time in the apartment. Also I would always visit an apartment in person before either a) deciding you love it or b) deciding you hate it.

Geno_g
09-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Man do I miss Ballard, Greenlake, Queen Anne, and Fremont. I need to visit again...

fikus222
09-26-2009, 01:38 PM

i work in kirkland and it isn't so bad. if you are familiar with upper middle class communities then you will not be surprised by what you find here. it's really pretty, the arbor day foundation consistently votes kirkland the city with the most trees in the country. they have awesome views of lake washington, the worst part about living here would be the nasty traffic going both directions over the 520 bridge.

my wife and i live alongside lake washington, in the sand point area and we love it. our neighborhood is quiet, safe, has ample parking and it is off the beaten track, while still having access to buses, supermarkets, take out, restaurants, etc. we are californians and as such walking to bars/restaurants doesn't really matter to us. we can get to capital hill, downtown, fremont and most the way to ballard in 15 minutes, which ain't shit. every once in awhile we have bald eagles chilling in our trees, which is pretty sweet.

we would never live in capital hill. it's dirty, has absolutely no parking, in places it really isn't safe (we used to know someone who has been been mugged several times while living in the hill), anyway we've never had the desire to live within the neighborhood in which we party.

we like ballard, there are some pretty sweet places there with awesome views and close access to amenities. however, there are limited entry points, which leads to crappy rush hour traffic.

how our apartment and its complex looks is really important to us. there is nothing worse than coming home to some place that annoys you...good luck and happy hunting.

wmgaretjax
09-26-2009, 01:51 PM
The hill up around 15th is much nicer. Anything east is totally safe (and where most people live). Anyone that says the hill is dirty is only referring to the corridor or broadway... And it's definitely the minority that live on those strips.

Also, there are several places you can consistently find parking on the hill if you know where to look. And most decent apartment/houses up there come with parking spaces (my last one had 2).

fikus222
09-26-2009, 03:27 PM
The hill up around 15th is much nicer. Anything east is totally safe (and where most people live). Anyone that says the hill is dirty is only referring to the corridor or broadway... And it's definitely the minority that live on those strips.

Also, there are several places you can consistently find parking on the hill if you know where to look. And most decent apartment/houses up there come with parking spaces (my last one had 2).

well there you go :)

not to side track the thread, but Jared, you're at CAL right? where'd you end up choosing to live in the east bay?

wmgaretjax
09-26-2009, 04:34 PM
well there you go :)

not to side track the thread, but Jared, you're at CAL right? where'd you end up choosing to live in the east bay?

yeah. I ended up going with some subsidized housing through the school in north berkeley. not the ideal place for me... but it's incredibly reasonable.

fikus222
09-26-2009, 06:45 PM
yeah. I ended up going with some subsidized housing through the school in north berkeley. not the ideal place for me... but it's incredibly reasonable.

Yeah, North Berkeley isn't all that great. As undergrads, all of my friends lived at the Cloyne co-op, which you couldn't pay me to live at, though they sure did throw some awesome parties there. My wife just kicked ass at the GREs today and Berkeley's Psych program is her number one pick, so if all goes according to plan we will be moving back to the Bay next year :D

invisiblerobots
09-26-2009, 07:34 PM
I've lived on and around Queen Anne for 13 years. It was the first neighborhood that I moved to after college and in 3 moves I've progressively moved from the north side (within walking distance of Fremont) to the south side (within walking distance of downtown). I went from a 3 bedroom house where I paid $450 a month to a 2 bd/2 bath on the top of the hill where I split $1150 with a gf. 5 years ago I knuckled down and bought a condo in lower QA and my mortgage is less than $1000/month for a 1bd/1ba in a nice 100 year old building a few blocks from the Space Needle.
I'd recommend coming up to visit the various hoods first just to feel the city out, which can be done in a weekend. Ignore the 'burbs for now (Kirkland, Burien, Totem Hole, Tacoma, etc). You can branch out later. I'd be happy to tour guide you around.

BlueDevil50
09-29-2009, 01:28 PM
I know what you guys said and I'm still looking but the gf found this ad on craiglist and I just wanted to get an opinion. It's in Renton.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/apa/1397107564.html

BlueDevil50
09-29-2009, 01:29 PM
I've lived on and around Queen Anne for 13 years. It was the first neighborhood that I moved to after college and in 3 moves I've progressively moved from the north side (within walking distance of Fremont) to the south side (within walking distance of downtown). I went from a 3 bedroom house where I paid $450 a month to a 2 bd/2 bath on the top of the hill where I split $1150 with a gf. 5 years ago I knuckled down and bought a condo in lower QA and my mortgage is less than $1000/month for a 1bd/1ba in a nice 100 year old building a few blocks from the Space Needle.
I'd recommend coming up to visit the various hoods first just to feel the city out, which can be done in a weekend. Ignore the 'burbs for now (Kirkland, Burien, Totem Hole, Tacoma, etc). You can branch out later. I'd be happy to tour guide you around.

Wow! I'm extremely jealous about your condo purchase! I'd love to meet up with you and some of the other Seattleites. I think I'm going up November 6-9.

miscorrections
09-29-2009, 01:52 PM
I know what you guys said and I'm still looking but the gf found this ad on craiglist and I just wanted to get an opinion. It's in Renton.

No. Wrong.

miscorrections
09-29-2009, 01:54 PM
Seriously, just look at a map of the city and the neighborhood locations and see how it's all laid out. You'll have a better idea of where you'd like to be if you can suss out distances from places you are likely to go (downtown, venues, etc).

boarderwoozel3
09-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Renton is the last place you want to be.

wmgaretjax
09-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Renton is a fuckhole.

BlueDevil50
09-29-2009, 02:07 PM
I checked it out and Renton's only about 15 minutes from downtown according to mapquest. I don't really need to be in walking distance because my gf and I both have cars and I'm used to driving three plus hours to LA or SF to go to shows. So solely based on that complex, which LOOKS really nice, why is it so bad?

Once I move up there, I'm taking all of you helpers out to dinner or throwing a move in party. =)

miscorrections
09-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Renton's not far but it's shit. There's a reason it's priced so attractively.

Courtney
09-29-2009, 02:11 PM
It's amazing how quickly your sense of distance changes when you move, though. When I lived in Los Angeles, I used to commute about an hour each way to and from work (Echo Park to the Getty). But now that I live in Honolulu, I find that I avoid even driving 30 minutes to do stuff because it seems too far.

miscorrections
09-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Driving at all seems superfluous to me now. I have to remind myself all the time that I need to start and run my car at least twice a month unless I want it to die.

miscorrections
09-29-2009, 02:13 PM
The last tank of gas I bought was at the end of July and I still have over 1/2 left.

BlueDevil50
09-29-2009, 04:06 PM
So what makes Renton so terrible? Bad area people wise? Nothing to do?

wmgaretjax
09-29-2009, 06:50 PM
both those things yes. it's a cess pool. like everett only closer. basically 10-15 years ago... people realized that one city close to seattle would explode because of the traffic situations and because of job overflow. Bellevue and Renton duked it out... Bellevue won and is now ritzy (albeit bland and shallow) and booming. Renton has nothing to show for it but a few nice housing developments and a shitload of unfinished developmental projects that each seemingly have a Denny's and a regularly rotating cast of failed retail outlets.

invisiblerobots
09-29-2009, 08:41 PM

My GF teaches at a school not too far from there so we carpool to that area every day. It is about a 15 minute drive to/from the city but Renton is all Applebee's and B&N's and Fry's. Downtown Renton has been killed off by the big boxes and it seems like its glory days are long gone. It has very little to offer as far as culture or good eats and I'm sure you'll probably spend more time getting into and out of the city than you want to.

I guess it really comes down to what you want to live around. I've always wanted to live in or very close to the city and be able to walk to everything as soon as I park my car when I get home from work. Pretty much any show/sporting event/restaurant/grocery store is within a refreshing walk from my front door. If I need a last 6-pack at 1:50 a.m. I can run 500 yards to save the dying party. If I'm too over-refreshed after a good night out I don't have to worry about how I'm going to get home. Walk.

That place in Renton looks like far too many of the cookie cutter, poorly constructed hives that so many of my friends moved into after college. They may seem like they have nice amenities but essentially they're just soulless disposable apartment blocks full of people that are just too afraid of the weirdos in the city.

I'd be happy to show you around some of the areas of this fine city and help you find your place.

BlueDevil50
09-29-2009, 10:10 PM
Thanks for breaking it down. I know what you mean, I just gotta keep looking and narrow it down to a good amount of places and take that trip up there. I'd definitely take you up on that offer to tour the city with you! Shoot me a friend request on facebook, email's bluedevil5021@yahoo.com. That goes for all of you!

invisiblerobots
09-30-2009, 01:41 AM
Thanks for breaking it down. I know what you mean, I just gotta keep looking and narrow it down to a good amount of places and take that trip up there. I'd definitely take you up on that offer to tour the city with you! Shoot me a friend request on facebook, email's bluedevil5021@yahoo.com. That goes for all of you!

Check your FB man, I think I gotcha.

JewFace
10-25-2009, 01:11 AM
I'm working in Seattle on Monday and Tuesday. I'll probably be working long hours, but is there anything going on I should check out?

fikus222
10-25-2009, 01:18 PM
From sonicliving.com

Monday:

Brant Christopher 1st Presbyterian Church Bellevue, WA
Darrius Willrich Waterfront Seafood Grill Seattle, WA
Mika Moore Theatre Seattle, WA
Monday Madness Open Mic Comedy Underground Seattle, WA
Rusted Root Crocodile Cafe Seattle, WA
The Creepshow Studio Seven Seattle, WA

Tuesday:

Black Houses, Marcy Playground, Black Houses, Wren Drive El Corazon Seattle, WA
CD Forum & Tempero do Brasil 10th Anniversary Celebration! Tempero do Brasil Seattle, WA
Fictitious / Tulsi / Dice / Dj Swerve One Chop Suey Seattle, WA
Jessy J Jazz Alley Seattle, WA
Joe Pug plus Jeremy Burk / The Foghorns Tractor Tavern Seattle, WA
Meshell Ndegeocello The Triple Door Seattle, WA
The Dodos Neumos Seattle, WA
The Sounds, Semi Precious Weapons, Foxy Shazam Showbox SoDo
Washington Composers Orchestra (WACO) Chapel Performance Space Seattle, WA

fikus222
10-25-2009, 01:18 PM
I'm working in Seattle on Monday and Tuesday. I'll probably be working long hours, but is there anything going on I should check out?

From sonicliving.com

Monday:

Darrius Willrich Waterfront Seafood Grill Seattle, WA
Mika Moore Theatre Seattle, WA
Monday Madness Open Mic Comedy Underground Seattle, WA
Rusted Root Crocodile Cafe Seattle, WA
The Creepshow Studio Seven Seattle, WA

Tuesday:

Black Houses, Marcy Playground, Wren Drive El Corazon Seattle, WA
CD Forum & Tempero do Brasil 10th Anniversary Celebration! Tempero do Brasil Seattle, WA
Fictitious / Tulsi / Dice / Dj Swerve One Chop Suey Seattle, WA
Jessy J Jazz Alley Seattle, WA
Joe Pug plus Jeremy Burk / The Foghorns Tractor Tavern Seattle, WA
Meshell Ndegeocello The Triple Door Seattle, WA
The Dodos Neumos Seattle, WA
The Sounds, Semi Precious Weapons, Foxy Shazam Showbox SoDo
Washington Composers Orchestra (WACO) Chapel Performance Space Seattle, WA

PlayaDelWes
10-25-2009, 10:38 PM

I would start by hiring a driver and enjoying an evening beverage and h'orderves at the Seattle Tennis Club. I assume you are a member, right? Great view of Mercer Island. After, I would suggest living it up in Bellevue.

JewFace
10-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Ha ha ha haaaa! Very nicely played, PlayaDelWes.

Thanks for the list, fikus. :)

PlayaDelWes
11-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Heading up later this week. Any notable shows / events Friday or Saturday?

fikus222
11-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Heading up later this week. Any notable shows / events Friday or Saturday?

Friday has the Friendly Fires at Neumos and DJ Colette at the Sea Sound Lounge. Saturday I'm not so sure of, my wife and I are hoping to drive down to Portland to see the sights and hit up Simian Mobile Disco (who won't be in Seattle until Monday).

PlayaDelWes
11-23-2009, 08:28 PM
Pretty strong few days. Looks like we are barely missing Simian Mobile Disco twice...

fikus222
11-23-2009, 08:32 PM
There's also The Lonely Forest, Telekinesis, The Globes at Showbox SoDo on Friday and MAX TUNDRA with DEASTRO / Special Guests at the Nectar Lounge on Saturday.

miscorrections
11-24-2009, 05:01 PM
Seattle folks - Knee High Stocking Co. is doing a Repeal Day celebration with free booze until it runs out and happy hour pricing on some drinks on 12/5. I suggest making a reservation if you plan to attend.

http://www.kneehighstocking.com/#10

PlayaDelWes
11-27-2009, 09:06 AM
A couple familiar observations on Seattle.

People don’t know how to drive. Everyone either accelerates or brakes, there is no in-between. It’s a contest to see who can get their passengers carsick fastest. I'm pretty sure eveyone would double thier MPG if they took a driving class or two. And there may be a quarter mile between cars, but traffic still crawls.

I don’t get why or how Seattle has such great Mexican food. Outside of SoCal and Albuquerque, Seattle has the best taquerias, taco stands (even saw a taco bus yesterday), burrito shops, and authentic Mexican restaurants in the US. Can someone explain to me why this is?

fikus222
11-27-2009, 03:23 PM
How funny, we were just saying how our trip to Portland tomorrow would allow us to get good Mexican food. You'll have to tell me where in Seattle you got your burritos.

miscorrections
11-29-2009, 01:09 PM
Same 'cause the Mexican I've had there has been shit.

rage patton
11-29-2009, 01:30 PM
How is the weather treating you, Corrina?

boarderwoozel3
11-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Señor Moose in Ballard

http://senormoose.com/

BlueDevil50
10-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Is the Seattle City Pass for $59 dollars worth it?

Offering the best deal in the Emerald City, the Seattle CityPASS features general admission to these premier attractions:

* Space Needle
* Pacific Science Center plus one IMAX® movie*
* Seattle Aquarium*
* Argosy Cruises Harbor Tour (1-hour cruise)
* Woodland Park Zoo
* The Museum of Flightor Experience Music Project | Science Fiction Museum

full on idle
10-08-2010, 02:32 PM
It's a huge bargain. I bought those for my sister and my brother in law when they came to visit and we had a blast. You have a week to use the whole thing up so you can plan certain days to do certain things - like the cruise and the aquarium on the same day, the EMP/Sci-Fi Museum (they are attached) and the Pacific Science center in one day, and you get TWO trips up the space needle so you can go once in the day and once at night. And the zoo is pretty nice for a zoo.

It's all very, very touristy stuff so there are crowds but the deal is straightforward and there aren't any strings attached. I don't know if it would be as much fun if the weather was crappy.

full on idle
10-08-2010, 02:41 PM
P.S. I just read this thread and you people are impossibly snobby. I live in Redmond and it does not suck. Some people like quiet and trees and clean streets and domesticity.

invisiblerobots
10-08-2010, 03:50 PM
That Seattle pass is a hell of a deal and it gives you a pretty good variety of the Seattle tourist spots. The Space Needle is awesome if you can avoid the busy times and the Museum of Flight is really cool if you're into anything remotely aviation/history related. EMP/SciFi is definitely worth a look but I'd never pay the ridiculous full price they charge. I've always enjoyed the Aquarium since I was a little kid and it's been recently renovated. I'm pretty sure that weather would not be a factor for any of these things aside from the zoo.

P.S. Redmond is, indeed, nice. Renton, however, is not.

wmgaretjax
10-08-2010, 03:50 PM
The only reason a rational person would put up with redmond is because they or their significant other work at Microsoft.

Or because they buy into the illusion that domesticity thrives in the suburbs. But then... that individual isn't a rational person.

full on idle
10-08-2010, 03:57 PM
It's not irrational to value different things than the things you value.

wmgaretjax
10-08-2010, 04:00 PM
All of the things you listed are not exclusive to Redmond or the Suburbs. But really, I never implied a difference in value, only perception.

full on idle
10-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Ok - but you're telling me that either I'm an irrational person to "put up" with Redmond or that I'm only there because my significant other is there.

So you have a small point, that the reason we live here is Microsoft. But I'm not making a point that Redmond has the exclusive angle on trees, quiet and domesticity, I'm saying that those are things that I LIKE about living in Redmond and they are things that make it a place that doesn't suck.

I also like living on the East side. I like the equidistance to the mountains or the city. I lived in cities for years and I recognize the advantage for nightlife and theater and whatnot but I'm not really into going out every night and constantly being in groups of people. I'm also not out of proximity to amazing food - I regularly enjoy great Thai, Indian, Greek, Italian, Vietnamese, Mexican, you name it. You're selling Redmond short.

invisiblerobots
10-08-2010, 04:18 PM
My experiences with Redmond came from working at Microsoft and visiting the homes of coworkers and hanging out while waiting for the traffic to subside. I have no real gripes with the area itself, but that lifestyle wasn't for me and it was always a pain in the ass to get back to Seattle.

MarkO
10-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Seattle is the worst city I have ever driven in.

full on idle
10-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Well then we can all agree on that.

miscorrections
10-08-2010, 04:26 PM
I like Redmond, it's soothing. I like living in Capitol Hill because I can walk everywhere and there are many things that align with my interests. I also agree that driving here is awful.

downingthief
10-08-2010, 04:28 PM
I miss the Pacific NW...need to get up there again soon.

wmgaretjax
10-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Maybe I'm selling it short. But my hyperbole isn't off point. People put up with the drawbacks of the suburbs (simply put, they are inefficient in just about every way possible) for financial and job-related reasons. Or because they buy into the notion that they are somehow better for raising families (because there are higher densities of rich people).

But this might all change to a degree... Because as work loads and employment become more distributed across networks rather than physical locations, the suburbs actually might actually start to become more efficient... but if that happens I think you'll start to see them turn into more mini cities. As opposed to mega-office complexes i.e. Bellevue.

The real reason I can't tolerate most of the east side is the people. I lived in various parts of the east side a lot growing up... I also lived in bigger cities. Something about people being in constant close proximity to other people results in a real positive change in general behavior and interaction in my experience... But that's just one factor that struck me watching people on both sides of the fence.

Either way, I believe pretty firmly that the bigger suburbs will transform a lot over the next ten years... The old baby boom paradigm just doesn't make any sense (from a cultural or urban development perspective). Until it does, I will refrain from recommending the experience.

People in the northwest can't drive. The difference between the bay area and the northwest blew my mind when I first got down here...

downingthief
10-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Try driving in Arizona.

MarkO
10-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Try driving in Arizona.

I have. It's fine down there.

fikus222
10-08-2010, 10:59 PM
I enjoyed living in in Seattle for the 2 years that Erika and I were there. However, it was also extremely disappointing on many levels.

It was quite beautiful though. This was our complex:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs461.snc3/25357_102922943084146_100000993227362_23028_684747 _n.jpg

It was 2 miles East of UW and a half mile from the shores of Lake Washington. This is a pic taken from the boat dock down the street:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs461.ash1/25357_102923283084112_100000993227362_23032_395183 0_n.jpg

miscorrections
10-09-2010, 01:05 AM
Uh. East of UW on the lake? Laurelhurst area? Sand Point? BORING. You might as well sleep in a coffin and turn your daily alarms off.

fikus222
10-09-2010, 12:34 PM
The idea is to live in an oasis, not to live in the grime. We chose a place where bald eagles hung out in our apartment complex, we could walk to the lake, the Burke Gilman trail was right there, traffic in and around our area was minimal, public transit was easily accessible, there was zero crime and no police presence, and where parking was always close and available. We were also a short 15 minute drive from Cap Hill, Downtown, Fremont, Ballard, or anywhere else we wanted to go.

wmgaretjax
10-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Funny... Magnuson has the highest rape rate of any park in the city (at least it did back in 2006).

fikus222
10-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Funny... Magnuson has the highest rape rate of any park in the city (at least it did back in 2006).

I think that it's changed. We lived across the street from the park from '08 - '10 and while we were living there, they cleaned it up and made it into a sports park with baseball diamonds and such. The only times that police were ever in our area is when the high school kids would try to throw keggers in the park.