PDA

View Full Version : (((((( 13 1/2 questions with ivankay

bug on your lip
05-13-2008, 06:38 AM
1) who would you share a smore with? like in a really gay way so you both are eating opposite ends of the same smore

bug on your lip
05-13-2008, 06:47 AM
2) What is the most profound picture you ever took? (and post the pic too)

ivankay
05-13-2008, 06:49 AM
1) who would you share a smore with? like in a really gay way so you both are eating opposite ends of the same smore

Clairify "gay way" please.

2) What is the most profound picture you ever took? (and post the pic too)

Gonna have to scroll through the library currently not with me at work. Time permitting, i'll glance through pictures i have online and see if one fits the description.

bug on your lip
05-13-2008, 06:58 AM
3) have u ever ridden a camel?

ivankay
05-13-2008, 07:02 AM
3) have u ever ridden a camel?

No. i hear they are cantankerous and you should be on your guard around them. If the opportunity came up, i would have to ride. Hopefully my camel would choose not to sprint.

bug on your lip
05-13-2008, 07:04 AM
4) what sports were u involved in? did u win any plastic trophies in any sport?

ivankay
05-13-2008, 07:15 AM
4) what sports were u involved in? did u win any plastic trophies in any sport?

Sports really wasn't my thing, but i did have brothers who were definitely geared towards athletics. So i tried little league (biggest memory is a line drive to the face), hs football for a day (legend of my brother built up high expectations...fuck that) and wrestled for a season (i sucked and the one JV match i had in public was a disaster...i didn't get pinned though). The only plastic trophy for sports i can somewhat recall is a 2nd place team bowling trophy from 3rd or 4th grade.

bug on your lip
05-13-2008, 07:23 AM
5) are you superstitious about certain numbers?

ivankay
05-13-2008, 07:36 AM
5) are you superstitious about certain numbers?

i think so. when year and day i was born come up for some reason, i have a postive feeling. i like 3 and 7 as well. i'm not scared of any numbers that i know of. Although if i pulled my potential kid's hair back and saw 3 "9's", i might get freaked a little.

bug on your lip
05-13-2008, 07:38 AM
6) if i was going to ninja u, where would be a good place to hide and wait for attack?

bug on your lip
05-13-2008, 07:41 AM
7) what is something u really fear but can see yourself overcoming and doing in 2008?

ivankay
05-13-2008, 07:42 AM
6) if i was going to ninja u, where would be a good place to hide and wait for attack?

i have good ninja detecting skills. i've been more noncturnal than not most of my life and am good about functioning in the dark and quietly so i can hear my surroundings. So probably in a public place where you can blend in with the surroundings instead of sticking out. If your sitting behind me at say Radiohead, i'm dead.

bug on your lip
05-13-2008, 07:46 AM
8) what do you feel like eating for dinner 2nite?

ivankay
05-13-2008, 07:49 AM
7) what is something u really fear but can see yourself overcoming and doing in 2008?

i think i can delude myself out of most fears, but for this year? Seems like the fear discussion is more reserved for your office. i think i'll figure that out more clearly and then pm you the answer and hopefully you can offer good advice or insight that will assist in overcoming the obstacle to my happiness in 2008.

ivankay
05-13-2008, 07:51 AM
8) what do you feel like eating for dinner 2nite?

Altough i am not a vegetarian, tonight the orange chicken, brown rice and crispy won tons from my favorite vegan restaurant seems yummy and somewhat good for me.

bug on your lip
05-13-2008, 07:57 AM
9) what is the last album you listened to in it's entirety while on a long drive?

TomAz
05-13-2008, 07:58 AM
orange chicken from a vegan restaurant?

ivankay
05-13-2008, 07:58 AM
orange chicken from a vegan restaurant?

it's fake, but tasty.

Hannahrain
05-13-2008, 08:00 AM
Seitan. Gluten meat. It's actually pretty good if it's done right. The vegan Chinese restaurant here is one of my favorites.

marooko
05-13-2008, 08:01 AM
how do you get orange "chicken" at a "vegan" restaurant?

marooko
05-13-2008, 08:01 AM
i never understood the no meat meat products, or dishes. kinda like having a car that doesn't run. get rid of that shit.

bug on your lip
05-13-2008, 08:02 AM
10) greatest youthful exhuberance-type of concert memory?

Hannahrain
05-13-2008, 08:03 AM
Well, they taste good, which I'm pretty sure is the main point of them, not only for vegetarians but also for people with specific dietary restrictions who shouldn't be eating meat for health reasons.

bug on your lip
05-13-2008, 08:04 AM
11) describe yer camera equipment to a camera moron

bug on your lip
05-13-2008, 08:05 AM
question 12 is an open forum question for ivankay..

whoever is the 1st to ask it gets it answered

TomAz
05-13-2008, 08:05 AM
no-meat meat products are to vegans as strap-on dildos are to lesbians.

Hannahrain
05-13-2008, 08:06 AM
You've got three chickens, a silk shirt, and two cartons of cigarettes. How do you use them to get off a desert island?

marooko
05-13-2008, 08:09 AM
Well, they taste good, which I'm pretty sure is the main point of them, not only for vegetarians but also for people with specific dietary restrictions who shouldn't be eating meat for health reasons.

no-meat meat products are to vegans as strap-on dildos are to lesbians.

still doesnt make sense. hey, i dont like dick, but if you put that strap on in me, ill dig it. WTF?!

hey, i dont eat meat, but if you give me something that tastes like meat, ill dig it.

Hannahrain
05-13-2008, 08:13 AM
Not eating something and not liking it aren't remotely the same. It's no different than using Sweetn'Low or something like that. It's a version of something you enjoy that fits into your diet.

TomAz
05-13-2008, 08:15 AM
hannah, if that was supposed to contradict my point, I don't get it.

Hannahrain
05-13-2008, 08:17 AM
It wasn't. Your point is good. I was working on this one:

doesnt make sense. hey, i dont like dick, but if you put that strap on in me, ill dig it. WTF?!

Okay Marooko. Let's say you're allergic to penis. That doesn't mean you don't enjoy it. So this would be the reasonable alternative. Get it now?

ivankay
05-13-2008, 08:17 AM
9) what is the last album you listened to in it's entirety while on a long drive?

If the drive from the Polo Grounds to Palm Springs (28 miles) counts as a long drive then "Dark Side of the Moon" when the pirate Coachella station played it (perfect timing). The drive to PS and back home was a mix of things with no complete album making it all the way through.

Last long drive before that was October for Vegoose and i'd go with Musique Vol 1 for mood setting. i know compilations shouldn't count, but it was complete.

marooko
05-13-2008, 08:20 AM
i dont think sweetn' low tastes like sugar though. i see it as just a sweetener. sugar alternative, not sugar flavored alternative.

full on idle
05-13-2008, 08:20 AM
Ivan are you self employed
Ivan do you like Metric
Ivan do you say pop or soda
Ivan who do you like better me or Bug

marooko
05-13-2008, 08:23 AM
It wasn't. Your point is good. I was working on this one:

Okay Marooko. Let's say you're allergic to penis. That doesn't mean you don't enjoy it. So this would be the reasonable alternative. Get it now?

so lesbians are allergic to penis?

seriously though, that point i get.

bug on your lip
05-13-2008, 08:25 AM
even Foi likes me better than Foi

full on idle
05-13-2008, 08:28 AM
u just blew mah mind

ivankay
05-13-2008, 08:29 AM
10) greatest youthful exhuberance-type of concert memory?

hmmmm, which one? Your question puts me in the high school range in my initial reaction, so i'll stick there. i've told this story before and think i'll find it and paste it here to save me time:

Wrote this after Mike Conley died:

Ok the story (those of you who hear my bullshit regular know this to be one of my favorite "punk rock injury" stories):

i think it was in 84. There was a great show going on at Perkins Palace in Pasadena with Youth Brigade, Suicidal Tendencies and a bunch of other bands. The band opening the night was MIA. i was familiar with the band from the compilation "Not All's Quiet on the Western Front". MIA had a song on there called "New Left" and i knew all the words. i wanted to be there for the beginning of the night so i could get up on stage and sing the song.

my friends (including little brother Joe) got there early and MIA was kicking ass. i was being a critical dick whenever someone would do a stage dive because they were jumping feet first. "Fuck those pussies. i'm going to do the first flip of the night."

Then "New Left" busted out. i pulled my self onto the stage (for those of you not familiar with the old Perkins stage, you had to pull yourself up from the orchestra pit...high stage), jumped next to Michael Connely and started screaming:

"Nuclear Fire
Nuclear War
It doesn't matter to me any more
The leaders are all hesitant
There's bullets in the president"

Then i got back by the drum kit because i was going to need a good run. i booked it full speed for the edge of the stage. Before my foot hit the lip of the stage, a thought entered my head: "Hey, there's not too many people out there."

i hesitated for a second but could not stop the momentum. i flew over the orchestra pit and landed flat on my back in front of the first row of seats. It felt like all my bones flew out of my body (just like a Bugs Bunny cartoon). i was laying there in shock and the first thing i saw was my brother Joe and friend Danny. Joe opened his mouth:

"You're an asshole."

They helped me into the seat nearest and i sat there for most of the night. i didn't know how fucked up i was until Youth Brigade was at the break in "Men in Blue" (the funky rap). Shawn Sterling says to the crowd "Hey everybody, get on stage for the break dance contest!"

A stage full of punks, looking ridiculous popping and breaking, i had to get up there. i stood up and immediately fell down. Legs weren't working because of some tearing that went on. i did gimp out with Joe and Danny's help after the show. Fortunately 16 year old me healed pretty fast.

RIP Michael. Thanks for the memory.

bug on your lip
05-13-2008, 08:30 AM
Foi

i hate it when u r stealin mah lines

kbye

ivankay
05-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Foi

i hate it when u r stealin mah lines

kbye

i'll wait til you're done bug before i go elsewhere. Only have brief time to answer each question.

Hannahrain
05-13-2008, 08:33 AM
Ivankay, I feel like I should send you flowers, despite the fact that that happened when you were sixteen.

Bug and Valarie, you two need to calm down. I have painted a line down the middle of the internet, and you are to stay on your respective sides.

bug on your lip
05-13-2008, 08:34 AM
kickass story ivan

bug on your lip
05-13-2008, 08:36 AM
13) Ivankay..i've said it before & i'll say it again: you have an aura of cool around you at all times. How do you maintain this positive energy?

bug on your lip
05-13-2008, 08:38 AM
1/2) Regret. What do u do during.............?

ivankay
05-13-2008, 08:38 AM
11) describe yer camera equipment to a camera moron

i have 2 nice digital cameras. They don't use film, the pictures go to a memory card that i can easily transfer to my computer. One of the cameras i can remove the lens so i can use different lenses. This comes in handy when trying to get a wider picture or be able to get a clearer picture in dark situations.

i also have a camera that's labeled as a point and shoot. That means you can not remove the lens unless you want to break the camera. It's like the digital camera you or someone you know has, but it has more mega pixels and functions that i can control (like how fast the camera blinks).

Barbara, the ninja
05-13-2008, 08:40 AM
i have good ninja detecting skills. i've been more noncturnal than not most of my life and am good about functioning in the dark and quietly so i can hear my surroundings.

No offense Ivankay, but you have no idea what you're talking about. If you can sense a ninja, it's because you're about to die.

Hannahrain
05-13-2008, 08:40 AM
Barbara, if you kill Ivankay I will be pissed.

Barbara, the ninja
05-13-2008, 08:44 AM
Ah, just for you, he will not see the ends of duel short swords for another day.

bug on your lip
05-13-2008, 08:45 AM
that's what she said

ivankay
05-13-2008, 09:02 AM
13) Ivankay..i've said it before & i'll say it again: you have an aura of cool around you at all times. How do you maintain this positive energy?

"All's good" i guess. i get so much of it from my parents. my dad has a smile on his face most of the time and he's been through some rough shit. He's given me the "feh" wave of the hand when supposid bullshit enters the pictures. my dad can overcome anything i think. Mom gave me an awareness to certain things like death (she's not dead, just had him at the door alot) that has given me a larger perspective (i think...damn limitations of the brain) that has me not sweating the small stuff. i see the positive mostly because i am amazed to even exist in the first place (really? what are the odds? incredible)

Young blood
05-13-2008, 09:08 AM
Ivankay +1000.

ivankay
05-13-2008, 10:01 AM
werk interferring with ability to concentrate here. Will try to respond to stuff later.

rage patton
05-13-2008, 11:13 AM
werk interferring with ability to concentrate here. Will try to respond to stuff later.

You busy making kraft's?

I am going to go kill myself now.

ivankay
05-13-2008, 01:56 PM
question 12 is an open forum question for ivankay..

whoever is the 1st to ask it gets it answered

You've got three chickens, a silk shirt, and two cartons of cigarettes. How do you use them to get off a desert island?

First thought on how to get off is to kill myself with either salmonella, hanging by silk shirt or refusing to give the chickens their smokes and getting pecked to death.

Realistically i can use the smokes as rewards and train the chickens to do a great song and dance number with me. When i think a boat or plane is in the area, put on that silk shirt, angle my body so the shimmer of the sun can get some attention and start hoofing and singing as if my life depended on it. They would be amazed and pick us up to exploit us in some seedy port or Broadway.

Ivan are you self employed
Ivan do you like Metric
Ivan do you say pop or soda
Ivan who do you like better me or Bug

Although you did not get in first, i'll answer because i likes you...better than bug? wow, bug and i go back on this board. bug sent me my first pm (speaking of that, where's my package?), but you made me laugh in person a couple of weeks ago and your energy was very nice (still feel the hand on my arm)....can i cop out and say instead of better, different?

Soda pop? (or Rob Lowe?) i usually say coke, but out of the two, soda would dominate (although i think i'm going to use pop from now on because when i was saying it out loud, more fun than soda)

i like Metric. i figure i'll like them a lot more when i see them live.

Not self employed. Werk for da Man. i am a small cog in a big corporation. Some people think i am a professional photographer because of the pictures...just a lame artist of low sorts.

No offense Ivankay, but you have no idea what you're talking about. If you can sense a ninja, it's because you're about to die.

Tell that to the dead ninjas.

1/2) Regret. What do u do during.............?

kind of confusing, but i'll give it a shot...during regret i try to remind myself it is living in a state of the past and interfering with my present. It is done, hopefully i learned from it and it is time to move on. If i am in a continual state of regret, better do something about it because the past is not a good place to live.

Now for irony, got to find that profound picture...i'm not a profound guy, so this might not be easy or as profound as i hope it would be.

bug on your lip
05-13-2008, 02:08 PM
dayymmm

i always think u r a professional photographer...

always top notch sheeet

full on idle
05-13-2008, 02:18 PM
see bug he likes me better for my energy

chairmenmeow47
05-13-2008, 02:18 PM
"All's good" i guess. i get so much of it from my parents. my dad has a smile on his face most of the time and he's been through some rough shit. He's given me the "feh" wave of the hand when supposid bullshit enters the pictures. my dad can overcome anything i think. Mom gave me an awareness to certain things like death (she's not dead, just had him at the door alot) that has given me a larger perspective (i think...damn limitations of the brain) that has me not sweating the small stuff. i see the positive mostly because i am amazed to even exist in the first place (really? what are the odds? incredible)

awww, i like this :)

thelastgreatman
05-13-2008, 05:07 PM
This is one of the better interviews. I give 99 percent of the credit to Ivan, 1 percent to Bug.

gaypalmsprings
05-13-2008, 05:12 PM
I want to know from ivankay who will win American Idol.

i_like_cake530
05-13-2008, 05:14 PM
i never understood the no meat meat products, or dishes. kinda like having a car that doesn't run. get rid of that shit.

worst analogy I've heard in a while. and how do you not understand that? it's not real meat.

PassiveTheory
05-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Bug we never got to 10000 questions...

ivankay
05-13-2008, 07:37 PM
I want to know from ivankay who will win American Idol.

i've been saying Archelatta since the auditions (so have a lot of people), but think Cook can steal it from him. Seemed like last week Cook was trying to underwhelm by not knocking it out of the park on what should have been one of the easiest weeks for him. i get the feeling he wants the Daughtry exposure and not the title. i haven't seen tonight's show because it isn't on yet. If Cook dials in another show, this will confirm my suspicions.

i wrote a response to the Captn' about this in the American Idol poll. The survival of Syesha is something i didn't see going this far. Also have to add, worst Idol season yet. i agree with others the performers are too slick and "ready". There is no unpredictable "soul" singer (Fantasia), crazy freak voice (Clay) or strange, funny phenomenon (Sanjaya). It's almost like a hyped up Star Search and getting harder to watch.

This is from the Idol thread on 4/2 after Captn' was saying Archeletta had a boring style and atshmatic breathing problems:

i hear what you got to say Captn', but he has the best chance to win it in my crummy opinion. He's got the big voice and can occasionally get those magic moments going. His song choices have been a problem, but he (and his family unfortunately) seems to be aware of that now. i think he definitely has the grandparent/parent and after Castro is out, the majority of the young girl vote (that's a big block). The only other big voices in the competition have major issues to overcome. Carley has the pro/outsider stigma and Ramiele is lethargic. Cook is entertaining, but his act might get old and he'll go the way of Chris Daughtry and be the shock elimination (unless he pulls the "that was differnt for him" performance and sways the girls and parents). i love Brooke, but she's come up lame the past couple of weeks (she had the same problem as Syesha last night by choosing the HUGE song that just didn't compare...Brooke vs White Stripes...not even close due to lack of pain in Brooke's version) Syesha is hollywood kid dull. Michael Johns and Castro are panty votes and won't hang on. Put all that together, the kid has the best shot.

Oh forgot about the hot chick picking the shameless songs (Proud to be an American...desperate and genius). She's not that lucky to be there to the end (but i think tonight she will edge out Syesha and stick around another week.)

Just woke up, still need to find "profound".

crazzz2007
05-13-2008, 07:54 PM

this is exactly the reason why the golden age of ninjas has passed. overconfidence in their abilities.

ivankay
05-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Ok, quickly went through stuff i already have on the tubes of the web. These stuck out to me as having some depth:

http://buzznet-09.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/10-06-2007_The_LA_Weekly_Detour_Festival_052_cro--large-msg-119199178219.jpg
fenced out and fenced in

http://buzznet-56.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/04_29_2007_Coachella_Day_3_S70_274_crop--large-msg-120833349487.jpg
sometimes you get kicked in the face and even see it coming

http://buzznet-42.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users9/renegademartian/default/The_Enlightened_Nite_Light--large-msg-113684377741-2.jpg
The enlightened nite light

http://buzznet-39.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users10/renegademartian/default/DeTay--large-msg-11444696153-2.jpg
struggle leads to unity

http://buzznet-19.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users12/renegademartian/default/suspended_idea--large-msg-115690048793.jpg
i wish this was better, but this is the one i would pick because i think it applies to me and everyone else on some degree or another: Suspended Idea.

i have 10's of thousands not on the internet. If i come across one that strikes me in the near future, i'll put it up and post it here.

Thank you bug for this rare opportunity to examine myself in this way.

bug on your lip
05-13-2008, 08:48 PM
http://buzznet-39.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users10/renegademartian/default/DeTay--large-msg-11444696153-2.jpg
struggle leads to unity

OMG
i think that's barbaratheninja in the background...
you 3 came that close to dying

i wonder why she didn't commence bloodshed

Barbara, the ninja
05-13-2008, 09:01 PM
this is exactly the reason why the golden age of ninjas has passed. overconfidence in their abilities.

We're like the Jews. We're just waiting for the right moment to take over the world.

theburiedlife
05-13-2008, 09:20 PM
OMG
i think that's barbaratheninja in the background...
you 3 came that close to dying

i wonder why she didn't commence bloodshed

Racist.

We're like the Jews. We're just waiting for the right moment to take over the world.

Racist.

Jenniehoo
05-13-2008, 09:39 PM
http://buzznet-56.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/04_29_2007_Coachella_Day_3_S70_274_crop--large-msg-120833349487.jpg
sometimes you get kicked in the face and even see it coming

This picture is badass. I'm so glad that you started this thread, bug. Ivankay is exactly the type of person that would make a thread like this interesting and worthwhile.

Ivankay - you may have answered this at some point - but why did you name yourself a name other than your actual name? I get that it's a screen name - but when both are a man's name - it confuses me.

Also - I would like to agree that you do exude a positive energy and in person you are a delight. Please tell a story where you did something absolutely horrible or cruel to another person (even by accident or indirectly) so I can regain my self-respect which only comes from successfully comparing myself to other people. Thanks in advance.

ivankay
05-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Ivankay - you may have answered this at some point - but why did you name yourself a name other than your actual name? I get that it's a screen name - but when both are a man's name - it confuses me.

Also - I would like to agree that you do exude a positive energy and in person you are a delight. Please tell a story where you did something absolutely horrible or cruel to another person (even by accident or indirectly) so I can regain my self-respect which only comes from successfully comparing myself to other people. Thanks in advance.

"ivankay" is my last name. michael is my first. i use my real name on the internets because when i used to get in discussions in old forums many a moon ago, thought the argument was absolutely pointless when hiding behind an alias. i also like that it makes me think a little when writing something in public.

Now to counter that sentiment:

One of the most horrrible things i am responsible for and still feel shitty about every day since i was aware of how rotten it was:

When i was around 12 i was at a carnival our church had every year. When wandering through the crowd looking for fun, being broke and having no tickets left, i saw a blind woman drop a $20. i stole from a blind woman. i hate me for doing that. i even had fun after i took that money off the ground. The guilt i still feel 28 years later is in no way worth the rocking time i had that day. Thanks for giving me a Thomas Aquanis moment here.

American Idol sure is sucking tonight.

Jenniehoo
05-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Your last name is Ivankay? Are you a character in a Dostoevsky novel? Your philosophy on screen names is opposite the stance of most people. Good for you for being refreshing.

Oh, and you'll pay in hell for what you did to that old woman.

thefunkylama
05-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Funny, I have an aunt who used to dress up like a blind lady and drop $20 bills at carnivals. She would then give all the names and descriptions of people who took the money to God so He would know who to smite first in the End times.

Good luck with the photography!

ivankay
05-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Your last name is Ivankay? Are you a character in a Dostoevsky novel? Your philosophy on screen names is opposite the stance of most people. Good for you for being refreshing.

Oh, and you'll pay in hell for what you did to that old woman.

i love "The Idiot".

and i agree and feel as if i am paying every day. And she wasn't old, probably in her 20's at the time.

theburiedlife
05-13-2008, 10:07 PM
Funny, I have an aunt who used to dress up like an old blind lady and drop $20 bills at carnivals. She would then give all the names and descriptions of people who took the money to God so He would know who to smite first in the End times.

Good luck with the photography!

I had a co-worker (who was a cashier) who used to save receipts of people who were under 5'6" and write their names down on a list then take that list home, where he would ask God to forgive them. He had it in his mind that God had already punished bad souls by making them short.

Jenniehoo
05-13-2008, 10:09 PM
What?

full on idle
05-13-2008, 10:10 PM
I really, really like this dude.

Jenniehoo
05-13-2008, 10:11 PM
No really. What?

theburiedlife
05-13-2008, 10:12 PM
fixed

Hannahrain
05-13-2008, 10:12 PM
I liked Ivankay BEFORE he was popular. I have a shirt that says that somewhere.

ivankay
05-13-2008, 10:13 PM
No really. What?

chicken butt.

What on the what? In reference to short people needing prayers or the blind woman being in her 20's?

thelastgreatman
05-13-2008, 10:13 PM
Alright, Ivan, Michael, Michivan, I got some motherfucking questions for you:

1) How many black chicks have you forked?

2) What was your favorite set of this year at Coachella, and if you say Roger Waters I'm gonna smack the taste out your mouth.

3) Did you get any sweet pictures of the spotlights going all nuts?

4) What got you into photography, mostly bands or no?

5) Would you go out with me? xoxo

Jenniehoo
05-13-2008, 10:14 PM
No - you were completely understandable. The 'what's were incredulous. Incredulous whats.

thefunkylama
05-13-2008, 10:17 PM
Ivankay's awesome. By the way.

ivankay
05-13-2008, 10:28 PM
Alright, Ivan, Michael, Michivan, I got some motherfucking questions for you:

2) What was your favorite set of this year at Coachella, and if you say Roger Waters I'm gonna smack the taste out your mouth.

3) Did you get any sweet pictures of the spotlights going all nuts?

4) What got you into photography, mostly bands or no?

5) Would you go out with me? xoxo

1) i have never stuck anyone with a fork. Although i know i have threatened both of my brothers with the act of jabbing them with that utensil at times in our lives.

2) i was immediately going to say Prince. i just went out and sang and danced and had a good time. So many good sets. The Black Lips and Datarock keep sticking with me as awesome shows. Love and Rockets killed and every song was a joy. i loved Bonde Do Role and what i saw of Yelle was excellent. i only think i saw one "eh" set this year and that was Vampire Weekend (just wasn't feeling it dawg). Loved Waters. So after all that, Prince.

3) Got some cool spotlight pictures.

4) Been taking pictures since i was a kid. Always loved pictures and movies. Concert photography is a more recent thing. i needed something a few years ago to rediscover myself and taping friends' shows as an exercise led to stills.

5) i like you Randy, but i don't think i'm ready.

PassiveTheory
05-13-2008, 10:49 PM
Time for some Passive questions:

1. I think you mentioned to me you did some radio in the past, or something to that extent, so the question I want to ask is, did you DJ a show in the past? If so, what kind of show was it? And, given the opportunity, would you return to radio?

2. Curious question: What's your alma mater?

3. Top 5 bands you want to see at Coachella 2009?

4. Another question with an assumption: What was your favorite vacation out of the country (if you haven't gone out of the country, then your favorite vacation over all)?

5. The scenario: You have gained the ability to form your own super-group of musicians. Who's in it, who plays what, and (if you want) what songs do they cover?

ivankay
05-13-2008, 11:20 PM
Time for some Passive questions:

1. I think you mentioned to me you did some radio in the past, or something to that extent, so the question I want to ask is, did you DJ a show in the past? If so, what kind of show was it? And, given the opportunity, would you return to radio?

2. Curious question: What's your alma mater?

3. Top 5 bands you want to see at Coachella 2009?

4. Another question with an assumption: What was your favorite vacation out of the country (if you haven't gone out of the country, then your favorite vacation over all)?

5. The scenario: You have gained the ability to form your own super-group of musicians. Who's in it, who plays what, and (if you want) what songs do they cover?

1) i was a dj at my local community college (Cypress) in the late 80's. At that time i got an internship at KROQ and would hang out there for a couple of years. One of the djs i worked with started a station called Mars FM and gave me my first break as "Mike Fright" (a name he chose for me). After Mars changed format, i did an "underground" show for a few months called Renegade Radio with some kids from USC on the frequency of 96.7. After we did not succeed in making enough dough to stay on the air, my radio career would come back with Groove Radio where i produced and held down one of overnight shifts (3-6am) as mike ivankay. Also hosted a 6 hour weekend show called "World Class Djs" (played mixes). After proudly getting fired from Groove when a programing shift occurred, i couldn't see a place in professional radio anymore because of the changing landscape. my shows were stupid with a focus on the tunes (loved long segues and keeping the vibe going). i did a few months at grooveradio.com when they started. Last time i was on the air was about a year and a half ago when i got an invite from Indie to sit in on Coup de Tat. Would i do it again? Hell yes. Love doing shows.

2) Well, Cypress was mentioned earlier. i never got my BA until after the Groove Radio thing. i figured while i was working in radio "hey, i got the job i wanted...why continue with the school?" After the firing, i figured i should at least get my degree. Signed up at Cal State Long Beach and got one in making movies.

3) Orbital, The Orb, Underworld, Oingo Boingo, The Talking Heads (would not sneeze at Zepplin if they decided to stop by)

4) Not too many to choose from out of the country, so i'm going with Ireland in 2002. i went for a family reunion (mom's side) and for some reason wasn't expecting it to be as great as it was. Ireland is beautiful where ever you look. Dublin rules. Love the street singers. One favorite moment: walking around Dublin around 2AM, street singer starts "Wish You Were Here", i'm part of a group of about 20 strangers singing along.

5) Why you got to ask hard questions? Off the top of my head and with not much thought put into it: Prince on guitar. Les Claypool on bass. Ginger Baker on drums. Trent Rezor in charge of electronic noises. Danny Elfman on xylephone. The horns from Earth, Wind and Fire. Bjork on female vocal. Johnny Mathis on male vocal. The Rainbow Connection popped into my head for some reason.

PassiveTheory
05-13-2008, 11:46 PM
Wow, yeah... Definitely going to listen to your advice concerning DJing.

I kinda want to do an England/Ireland trip at some point in my life... Fuck I kinda want to go all over Europe (but lately I've had an itch to go to Ibiza since it's like an electronic music mecca of some sort) so that's cool that you've been to Ireland.

I agree with all 5 bands you chose. Concerning Orbital, I can't wait to hear what Long Range (Phil's new band) sound like.

Nice dream band too. Although I can't help but think that Elfman would be better suited conducting a massive orchestra over a xylophone.

EDIT: Oh yeah, if you're ever in Nor Cal and/or Santa Cruz, lemme know and you can get on my show... Next quarter I'm going to get a better slot, heh.

ivankay
05-13-2008, 11:52 PM
Nice dream band too. Although I can't help but think that Elfman would be better suited conducting a massive orchestra over a xylophone.

He plays a mean one. One of the best things about a Boingo show was the synchronized xylophone playing by Elfman and Avila on "Grey Matter".

PassiveTheory
05-13-2008, 11:55 PM
Hey, I trust you, seeing as you've actually seen them live.

ivankay
05-13-2008, 11:57 PM

19 times.

PassiveTheory
05-13-2008, 11:58 PM
...Christ.

You are a legend.

ivankay
05-13-2008, 11:59 PM
...Christ.

You are a legend.

They are. i just showed up and had fun.

time for me to quit for a bit. i feel so naked.

bmack86
05-14-2008, 12:00 AM
This was the best thread I've read in a long time. Congrats Mike and Bug for making it work.

Hannahrain
05-14-2008, 12:02 AM
They are. i just showed up and had fun.

time for me to quit for a bit. i feel so naked.

You could always turn things around and ask other people personal questions. You should post words more. You're good at it.

bug on your lip
05-14-2008, 06:35 AM
Oingo Boingo 19 times

and he mentioned Ginger Baker

i don't think i've ever seen anyone mention Ginger Baker in this forum before

incredible persona, this ivankay

TomAz
05-14-2008, 07:14 AM
wow. I thought intelligent discussion had died long ago on this board.

great stuff.

you left one picture out though, michael.

bug on your lip
05-14-2008, 07:19 AM
OMG

did he take THE picture !!

TomAz
05-14-2008, 07:46 AM
he did.

ivankay
05-14-2008, 07:52 AM
had to find it:

http://blufiles.storage.live.com/y1pOYkmIWvnLbtjicQmHprnIILD1ighCmgQnG1qv6gLR65Sdmr Xxy6yWss9QPQYcjcT7h5JW3ajOTs

i posted that before i got more into editing. i need to rework that. i did so something for the LOL TOMZ thread if you recall:

http://buzznet-19.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/LOL_RunningTomz--large-msg-119571054589.jpg

thestripe
05-14-2008, 07:54 AM
ivankay, you are my hero.

fatbastard
05-14-2008, 07:56 AM
i dont think sweetn' low tastes like sugar though. i see it as just a sweetener. sugar alternative, not sugar flavored alternative.

Splenda>brown sugar>Equal>sugar>Sweet'n Low

bug on your lip
05-14-2008, 08:05 AM
mannn

i don't think i've ever seen the original. i've always seen the cropped bullshit.. it is amazing

Tom is perfectly centered in the pic...
then you have a horizontal line of palm trees
and then a horizontal mountain line
the symmetry is amazing

i get the impression that TomAZ is just this miniscule player in the game of life... and it tortures his soul and makes him want to flee from the spot he is standing, completely oblivious that the spot he will go to will still feel the same

marooko
05-14-2008, 08:05 AM
worst analogy I've heard in a while. and how do you not understand that? it's not real meat.

you should have read it all. yes, it was a poor analogy, wasnt trying to cause an argument, was just having a little fun. but yes, i dont understand people not eating meat, but eating things that taste like meat.

thestripe
05-14-2008, 08:11 AM
mannn

i don't think i've ever seen the original. i've always seen the cropped bullshit.. it is amazing

Tom is perfectly centered in the pic...
then you have a horizontal line of palm trees
and then a horizontal mountain line
the symmetry is amazing

i get the impression that TomAZ is just this miniscule player in the game of life... and it tortures his soul and makes him want to flee from the spot he is standing, completely oblivious that the spot he will go to will still feel the same

Ivan, what was the motivation behind the Tom pic? Was this a random Tom sighting that you happened to document perfectly?

ivankay
05-14-2008, 08:15 AM
Ivan, what was the motivation behind the Tom pic? Was this a random Tom sighting that you happened to document perfectly?

totally random. i was loving the beauty and wanted to get the shot. Later when reviewing i saw the guy running and it made the picture. i called it "Run!". A couple of years ago or more i posted it in a favorite Coachella pictures thread. Tom came out of nowhere and said he was the dorkiest looking guy in one of the pictures. The speculation lasted a at least a couple of days on which guy in which picture it was. Tom spilled the beans and Yablo turned it into legend.

captncrzy
05-14-2008, 08:15 AM

Haha...forked. That made me laugh out loud.

And Ivankay, I'm going for David Cook. I still say D.A. sounds like he has a case of the emphazema.

thestripe
05-14-2008, 08:21 AM
totally random. i was loving the beauty and wanted to get the shot. Later when reviewing i saw the guy running and it made the picture. i called it "Run!". A couple of years ago or more i posted it in a favorite Coachella pictures thread. Tom came out of nowhere and said he was the dorkiest looking guy in one of the pictures. The speculation lasted a at least a couple of days on which guy in which picture it was. Tom spilled the beans and Yablo turned it into legend.

How did I miss all of this? This is the best story to ever come out of this board.

Tom, do you remember why you were in such a hurry? Oh and what year was this picture taken? I'm sure this has been discussed, but I missed out so..

ivankay
05-14-2008, 08:50 AM
The picture was from 2005. i forget the details of Tom' story. Tom?

TomAz
05-14-2008, 08:51 AM
I think that was 05 and if I recall correctly Gang of 4 had just started and I didn't want to miss it.

ivankay
05-14-2008, 08:56 AM
I think that was 05 and if I recall correctly Gang of 4 had just started and I didn't want to miss it.

http://buzznet-05.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users10/renegademartian/default/Gang_of_Four_2005--large-msg-114558432776-2.jpg

http://buzznet-34.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users10/renegademartian/default/whew...thanks_for_telling_me--large-msg-114558430552-2.jpg

http://buzznet-54.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users10/renegademartian/default/Jon_King--large-msg-114558430782-2.jpg

well worth the run. That was a great show.

TomAz
05-14-2008, 09:03 AM
that really was a great show. Best of 05, I think.

thestripe
05-14-2008, 09:08 AM
I'm still kicking myself for missing Gang of Four. Where the hell was I during their set? I can't remember, but I do remember giving my friends a hard time about missing them for another act.

TomAz
05-14-2008, 09:25 AM
GOF conflicted with the Arcade Fire.

full on idle
05-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Also his hair was wet and he had a blister.

captncrzy
05-14-2008, 10:34 AM
I still can't believe that's him. I know it is, but I just can't believe it. Also, what's with the jeans and long sleeves?

kreutz2112
05-14-2008, 12:52 PM
this is the best thread of the year.

amyzzz
05-14-2008, 12:53 PM
this is the best thread of the year.why don't you marry it

PassiveTheory
05-14-2008, 01:13 PM
They allow that kind of thing in Utah?

kreutz2112
05-14-2008, 01:25 PM
Yes they do and if this thread had a vagina I would marry it. Are you volunteering yours amy?

thelastgreatman
05-14-2008, 02:17 PM
I would blow Ivan front and back at this point.

canexplain
05-14-2008, 03:44 PM
Oingo Boingo 19 times

and he mentioned Ginger Baker

i don't think i've ever seen anyone mention Ginger Baker in this forum before

incredible persona, this ivankay

just here for a flash ... ivankay is my fest photographer hero .....

“Even today, great musicians hail Ginger as the greatest drummer of the rock genre, though the public at large has given him less credit than he deserves.” From some drummer magazine

Ginger used to live about 5 miles from me here in colorado. He was into polo and you could go out and see him almost any day but he usually didn’t do any music stuff, only horse stuff. This summer he is touring with one of those “oldies fests”.

I have always like him because when I saw him the first time with cream, it was the best drumming I had ever, and have since seen (even better the John B of zep) geez clapton looks so young there…. Peace …. X****

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/canexplain/creambakerhat.jpg

Young blood
05-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Plz say you are going to sonic bloom this year cr*** the lineup is magnifique

TomAz
05-14-2008, 04:49 PM
Clapton also has a chin in that picture. I wonder what happened to it?

I still think it's weird that Ginger Baker played in PiL briefly.

TomAz
05-14-2008, 04:52 PM
I still can't believe that's him. I know it is, but I just can't believe it. Also, what's with the jeans and long sleeves?

I think that was the year it was cold and windy.

and thank you Jen, whenever anyone who's actually met me says "I can't believe that's Tom" I feel not quite so ridiculous. Still ridiculous, yes, but just a little less.

ivankay
05-14-2008, 05:36 PM
I would blow Ivan front and back at this point.

still not ready.

But just a note to any potential candidates for this activity: Good personal hygiene is a serious practice in my life. Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap has been one of my closest friends for years.

PassiveTheory
05-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Clapton also has a chin in that picture. I wonder what happened to it?

I still think it's weird that Ginger Baker played in PiL briefly.

Seriously? Was this before or after Lydon kicked Levine out of the band?

PineapplePete
05-14-2008, 07:10 PM
Ivankay, what do you think about lomography? Have you ever owned a 'lomo' camera? They're tons of fun, I think. I have an old Cannon FTb too...which is a great camera but its so fucking heavy.

Hannahrain
05-14-2008, 07:13 PM
still not ready.

But just a note to any potential candidates for this activity: Good personal hygiene is a serious practice in my life. Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap has been one of my closest friends for years.

There are very few comedians funnier than the Bronner's bottle. Although I prefer the lavender.

Jenniehoo
05-14-2008, 07:15 PM
I think that was the year it was cold and windy.

and thank you Jen, whenever anyone who's actually met me says "I can't believe that's Tom" I feel not quite so ridiculous. Still ridiculous, yes, but just a little less.

It really doesn't look like you.

ivankay
05-14-2008, 09:40 PM
Ivankay, what do you think about lomography? Have you ever owned a 'lomo' camera? They're tons of fun, I think. I have an old Cannon FTb too...which is a great camera but its so fucking heavy.

Can't say i thought much of it til you brought it up. What ever is fun and successfully captures the memory for the picture taker is cool. Melanie had some cool shots in the lomography thread. The low light shots you and DaOneManWonder are showing are screaming out for a tripod or some stable place. One of the selling points of the camera is ease and fun. The ease factor is not at this moment presenting itself as having an advantage over other film cameras or simple digitals. Fun factor is entirely up to the user. Low light picture taking never seems to be free of some control and thought (unless you are fine with the results...that's the thing that matters most, are you enjoying it) i now have a bunch of questions about it that can be answered in the lomography thread or searching. Next time i come across one i'll have to pick it up and see how it feels.

And the nipple pinching picture is very funny.

PineapplePete
05-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Sometimes the blurriness is on purpose...like the picture of the bowl.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2247/2490463395_f8726bef87.jpg
The distorted and murky world normally contained within the bowl has spilt out into the rest of the picture, making this dreamy, surreal landscape...thats sort of the concept behind it I guess. I really like long exposure...nothing like natural lighting. Also the same thing for the picture of the disneyland castle...
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2352/2176758865_7a02b621e9.jpg
it sorta got out of hand, though :p. I think that was my first roll of film. As far as those Coachella pictures I posted, I don't think any of them were long-exposure. Maybe the last one...i don't remember. I just thought they were cool cause of the color shift. I was using this weird filter and expired film. Tripods or good for some things...if i get a chance I'll scan in some of my pictures taken with the cannon. Much more coherent to say the least

(ps me and daonemanwonder are the same person)

PineapplePete
05-14-2008, 10:47 PM
pps that bowl picture is my favorite i've taken so far

thelastgreatman
05-14-2008, 10:49 PM
Ivan... complimented... the nipple picture.

HILARIOUS.

ivankay
05-14-2008, 11:24 PM
Ivan... complimented... the nipple picture.

HILARIOUS.

it's a confirmed Pete, right?

gaypalmsprings
05-14-2008, 11:32 PM
just here for a flash ... ivankay is my fest photographer hero .....

“Even today, great musicians hail Ginger as the greatest drummer of the rock genre, though the public at large has given him less credit than he deserves.” From some drummer magazine

Ginger used to live about 5 miles from me here in colorado. He was into polo and you could go out and see him almost any day but he usually didn’t do any music stuff, only horse stuff. This summer he is touring with one of those “oldies fests”.

I have always like him because when I saw him the first time with cream, it was the best drumming I had ever, and have since seen (even better the John B of zep) geez clapton looks so young there…. Peace …. X****

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/canexplain/creambakerhat.jpg

Welcome back, Ron. We missed you during your extended absence. I hope you are all rested now & ready for more postings!

captncrzy
05-15-2008, 08:39 AM
Pete should only be allowed to pics if they are of himself. More supertwink pics, please.

TomAz
05-15-2008, 10:11 AM
Seriously? Was this before or after Lydon kicked Levine out of the band?

1986, he played on several songs on "Album".

frozen pilgrim
06-17-2008, 06:58 AM
still not ready.

dude!!
I love that shit!!
it's made by some crazies down there in cali, right?

I absolutely love that stuff. you can even use it as mouthwash. miraculous shit.

M Sparks
06-17-2008, 07:03 AM

See for yourself...

y0Fc9lvRMy0

I've only seen them 4 times...I feel so shamed.

EDIT...BTW...not Xylophones...Rhumbaphones. I think Leon invented them.

ivankay
06-17-2008, 07:08 AM
One of the nights at the farewell shows i was sitting to the left of the camera on the crane (left side, lower orch section). Another night the balcony.

Thanks Leon for your musical inventiveness.

M Sparks
06-17-2008, 05:34 PM
One of the nights at the farewell shows i was sitting to the left of the camera on the crane (left side, lower orch section). Another night the balcony.

Thanks Leon for your musical inventiveness.

Epic...I only went to the Vegas Farewell...

Did you go all 4 nights?

ivankay
06-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Nope. Only 2, but the night i was in the orch section was the finale.