PDA

View Full Version : San Fran Trip

BlueDevil50
05-12-2008, 01:52 PM
I'm thinking about taking my girlfriend up to the bay for our year anniversary since she's never been and I haven't for years. She isn't 21 yet so bars are out, otherwise what would you guys recommend to do up there? Fisherman's Wharf?

bug on your lip
05-12-2008, 01:53 PM
take a 2nd empty suitcase so you can bring some gay back home

ThomThom
05-12-2008, 01:54 PM
She isn't 21 yet so bars are out

Stay the fuck home.

full on idle
05-12-2008, 01:59 PM
Thom Thom, why do you always answer on behalf of San Francisco whenever anyone brings anything up about San Francisco? I don't see anybody from up here answering questions willy-nilly about Sherman Oaks.

BlueDevil50
05-12-2008, 01:59 PM
c'mon sasha...i don't even drink anymore so that's not a loss.

chrissy, you out there?

marooko
05-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Stay the fuck home.

i tried to give you a little while to cool down, but apparently you are a fucking asshat. there are a enough 18+ strip clubs. fucking dummy.

marooko
05-12-2008, 02:01 PM
alcatraz. ive been wanting to go. you two should go for me.

menikmati
05-12-2008, 02:03 PM
alcatraz is alright, but nothing special to be honest

ThomThom
05-12-2008, 02:07 PM

chrissy, you out there?

I'm just kidding around with you buddy (as always), I'll pm you some info.

i tried to give you a little while to cool down, but apparently you are a fucking asshat. there are a enough 18+ strip clubs. fucking dummy.

I can't wait to punch you in the stomach at Outside Lands.

faxman75
05-12-2008, 02:15 PM
alcatraz is alright, but nothing special to be honest

I absolutely disagree. One of the most intersting tourist attractions that you will find. The trip out there on the fairy really gives you an idea of how isolated they were. So much history as well. I think they give you headphones for a couple of bucks and I highly recommend it. Seriously, it's less than $5 and it guides you up and down all the rows of cells and tells great stories. They always have an art exhibit of some kind going on too. Alcatraz is way more interesting than Fishermans Wharf where the only good thing is the fresh seafood. Fishermans Wharf is full of tourist trap chain shops for overprices sports memorabilia, bubba gump shrimp company and plenty of T Shirt and sunglass vendors. It reminds me of navy pier in chicago actually. Simply a market filled with mostly chains and maybe 1 or 2 decent restaruants.

jackstraw94086
05-12-2008, 02:17 PM
people get raped on the daily here.

BlueDevil50
05-12-2008, 02:20 PM
thanks so far guys...i've done alcatraz before and it's cool the first time. that might work since she's never been. i'm also thinking about just walking down the embarcadero...if you guys keep tossin ideas around, it'd be greatly appreciated.

menikmati
05-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Hop on a muni train, and get stuck inside the tunnel for 35 mins while every train seems to get bottlenecked up at the embarcadero center. That's always fun.

bug on your lip
05-12-2008, 02:27 PM
ohhh menik

marooko
05-12-2008, 02:33 PM
I'm just kidding around with you buddy (as always), I'll pm you some info.

I can't wait to punch you in the stomach at Outside Lands.

im scared. i dont think im going now.

ThomThom
05-12-2008, 02:34 PM
im scared. i dont think im going now.

Hacky Sack?

gaypalmsprings
05-12-2008, 02:35 PM
The Tenderloin

marooko
05-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Hacky Sack?

with your balls? yes. ill bring friends.

PotVsKtl
05-12-2008, 02:37 PM
"No need to come so far
You can fuck yourself in your own backyard"
- Dude Womb

AJS415
05-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Drive up to Twin Peaks at night. If you come up this weekend its the Oyster and Beer Festival with some live bands, and also its Bay 2 breakers. I always enjoy a walk through the haight and then through the Golden Gate Park.

Mr.Nipples
05-12-2008, 03:11 PM
go to oakland...

marooko
05-12-2008, 03:24 PM
...and get robbed.

TomAz
05-12-2008, 03:31 PM
The trip out there on the fairy

ahahahahhahahaha

shakermaker113
05-12-2008, 03:31 PM
I think they give you headphones for a couple of bucks and I highly recommend it. Seriously, it's less than $5 and it guides you up and down all the rows of cells and tells great stories.

you forgot to mention that the stories are told be people who were actually there -- both inmates and guards! it's the only audio tour I've ever taken that I would recommend.

She isn't 21 yet so bars are out, otherwise what would you guys recommend to do up there? Fisherman's Wharf?

there are better places to go than fisherman's wharf. rent some bikes and go riding through golden gate park. maybe wander through the stores on haight street. chrissy fields can be a really nice place to go on a sunny day, to get a different view of the bay and the golden gate bridge. look up some of the restaurants in the mission, or hayes valley, or the marina, or north beach. all of those neighborhoods are far better places to hang out than the wharf. the wharf is nothing but tourist traps.

menikmati
05-12-2008, 03:34 PM
I would recommend bringing your own headphones for the Alcatraz tour, as the ones they provide suck.

BlackSwan
05-12-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm thinking about taking my girlfriend up to the bay for our year anniversary since she's never been and I haven't for years. She isn't 21 yet so bars are out, otherwise what would you guys recommend to do up there? Fisherman's Wharf?

330 Ritch (Popscene) and Bimbo's 365 have 18+ shows and actually book good music.

SFChrissy
05-12-2008, 03:40 PM

chrissy, you out there?

Yo Devil...sorry it took me a minute but I've been slammed today. This one is kinda out of left field...Rent skates on 9th & Fulton and spend a few hours rollerskating around golden gate park...I know you might think this is lame but a bunch of friends and I did that on a grogeous sunday afternoon and had a tottal Blast!!!

check to see what's playing at the fillmore/great american music hall/independent...I think those venues are under 18 various events.

take a drive down highway 1 have lunch at either catch joanne's, barbara's fish basket or half moon bay brewery (there are fire pits outside at the brewery).

hang out in the mission or haight...

definately go do dinner at sushi zone if you've been cruising around market st. get there 'round 4:30 place opens at 5 but it's so tiny and delicious that it fills up quick...and get the baked sea bass that comes in a mussle shell...YUMMMMMM!!!

take a ferry ride thats kinda fun...fisherman warf...I'm sorry kinda boaring and too many tourists and primary options are food, the gap, souvenire shops and food...but pompei's grotto down at the end is pretty good and reasonably priced.

There's always mitchell brothers if you guys are feeling a little voyeristic...

check out sfstation.com for more ideas...

Hope this was helpfull!!!

SFChrissy
05-12-2008, 03:41 PM
330 Ritch (Popscene) and Bimbo's 365 have 18+ shows and actually book good music.

ohhh yeahhh. Try that one for sure!!!

menikmati
05-12-2008, 03:41 PM
ferry ride really isn't that fun, but it sure does beat traffic

SFChrissy
05-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Drive up to Twin Peaks at night. If you come up this weekend its the Oyster and Beer Festival with some live bands, and also its Bay 2 breakers. I always enjoy a walk through the haight and then through the Golden Gate Park.

twin peask view is the most gorgeous view of market street shithole...walk it during the day and then take a cruz at night to see the difference...you will definately get some up there...makiemakeout!!!

shakermaker113
05-12-2008, 05:32 PM

bimbo's is only 18+ for certain shows. many are 21+.

well I'll be damned. popscene is 18+. I was always convinced otherwise.

check to see what's playing at the fillmore/great american music hall/independent...I think those venues are under 18 various events.

great american music hall is 6+.
slim's is all ages.
the fillmore is all ages.

the independent is 21+. not even worth trying. my friend once forgot her ID, we had to go back to her place to pick it up. there was no way she was getting in without it, and she was 24 at the time.

Stainofmind
05-12-2008, 06:36 PM
try checking out Haight and Ashbury

chiapet
05-12-2008, 07:39 PM
man, menik, you seem sour on everything SF.

The alcatraz tours are pretty interesting, and I don't give a lick about military, prison, etc. The audio tours are definitely more engaging than most. I've always meant to do one of the night time "ghost" stories tours.

If you don't go to alcatraz, and you have a little free time, I'd definitely suggest a ferry ride. Maybe a commuter ferry over to Sausalito to have lunch or dinner. It's a beautiful way to see the GG Bridge and SF skyline. If you go outside of commuting hours you'll probably have the ferry almost to yourself. My friends and I used to do that on days off just to get out on the water.

If you're adventurous and have some $$ to spend (and don't have objections to this sort of thing), there are sport fishing trips too in the area. My sibs went on a shark fishing one and really really enjoyed it.

Fisherman's wharf is really really touristy, sure, but some people like taking a walk through there. I just wouldn't make it the center of your plans any night.

If it's a sunny and warm day, I'd suggest going north rather than going to Half Moon Bay, take a drive up 1 in Marin and go to the beach maybe.

menikmati
05-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Go to the Exploratourium. Visit the zoo (though the Oakland zoo is better actually). Walk the Golden Gate.

fikus222
05-12-2008, 07:49 PM
Where is the BEST Sushi in SF ?

I have tried soooo many places with my wife and we have yet to find anything on par with what she lived off in LA. To give you an idea of her tastes, the only place she really liked was $150 a person in Burlingame.

What I would like to find is a great quality $50 a person place in SF.

Wheres the beef?
05-12-2008, 07:55 PM

Stay the fuck away from fishermans warf.

chiapet
05-12-2008, 08:22 PM
fikus, we don't really have great sushi here. There are a lot of good-for-the-price places (not "cheap" but not spendy and OK), and some marginally OK more upscale places. None of them really fit what you're describing though.

I think there are okay:

Eiji is my favorite but it is not at all fancy:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/yos-sushi-club-san-francisco#hrid:n-eQ6GAV2NbnLsKyQGRq3A

Koo is pretty decent:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/koo-san-francisco#hrid:P8g_rAeB5WAm3ngONKGGbQ

Ino is good but doesn't have fancy rolls and stuff like that:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/ino-sushi-san-francisco#hrid:Q1kJhJy_XJw2y2hp28iRfg

Murasaki - I've only been here a couple of times but it's been OK
http://www.yelp.com/biz/murasaki-sushi-bar-san-francisco#hrid:QO3IHpXu7lpP_F2j9GpnHA

Minami - I love this place, it is the sushi diner. It is a couple of tables and a tiny bar (maybe 3 people can sit?), super friendly (same three people - family - are there at any hour), very simple stuff, pretty cheap.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/minami-restaurant-san-francisco-2#hrid:c-uYmWy5eT8Fzm2QikiG2g

Kamasei - so-so (I think it's one/some of the peoplke from Country Station, which was good)
http://www.yelp.com/biz/tamasei-sushi-san-francisco#hrid:V0582A5WHoE3hCClhk55og

Takara is so-so
http://www.yelp.com/biz/takara-japanese-restaurant-san-francisco#hrid:EE7exOS7MdF-w8x-oToo8A

Edited because I forgot Tokyo-a-go-go which I like a lot. It isn't very good, but it pretty much the only 'atmosphere' sushi place in Sf that I like. They have a beef with ponzu appetizer that is awesome (but they keep changing the name of it on the menu so I can't remember). They have umeboshi paste and indulge me making up my own rolls. They play loud music and movies on the wall, so it's not really a place you can go and talk to your dinner party.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/tokyo-go-go-san-francisco#hrid:yvbiixiOc1sVM7E_7l0UAQ

I haven't been here but friends like it:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/yos-sushi-club-san-francisco#hrid:n-eQ6GAV2NbnLsKyQGRq3A

I've been meaning to try this place too:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/okina-sushi-san-francisco#hrid:4Od_ddgdUGobrtW5LOieTQ

Jin Sho in Palo Alto i think is one of the pricier places on the peninsula that people like.

Which ones DID she like, out of curiousity? If you are really desperate, I can ask around Japanese friends, but most of them like places that are more atmospheric and I don't always actually like the food at their fav spots. :)

I am a bad person to try to answer this too because I live in the Richmond and there are like 2 million sushi places around so I just go grab it wherever and for a few years was eating sushi pretty much every day. And not necessarily good sushi! heh.

SFChrissy
05-13-2008, 09:12 AM
Where is the BEST Sushi in SF ?

I have tried soooo many places with my wife and we have yet to find anything on par with what she lived off in LA. To give you an idea of her tastes, the only place she really liked was $150 a person in Burlingame.

What I would like to find is a great quality $50 a person place in SF.

She didn't mention:

blowfish sushi on 20th & bryant
sushi zone on market & pearl
sushi groove south on 11th & folsom and they have another one on russian hill.

fresh and clean!!!

jigsaw
05-13-2008, 09:30 AM
Golden Gate Park all the way...check out the deYoung Museum, the Botanical Garden, and the Japanese Tea Garden.

I took my girl there for valentines day this year. We really could have spent the whole weekend at the park. Google map it.

Also we rented bikes at the Fishermans Worf and rode them up the coast to the Golden Gate Bridge. On the way to the bridge there is The Palace of Fine Arts. You can lock your bikes up and walk around there.

The only thing about San Fran is that, after the weekend your girl might be expecting for you to ask her something. That city is so god damn romantic.

SFChrissy
05-13-2008, 09:41 AM
conservatory of flowers

stuporfly
05-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Golden Gate Park is definitely cool, and you can get there by heading up Haight Street. I've not lived in California since 2001, so I left before there was an Amoeba Records in Los Angeles. But when I lived in San Francisco, I hit the Amoeba there at least once a week. I found it much more user-friendly than the one in Berkeley.

I've lived in the Mission and the Lower Haight, and they're both cool neighborhoods. North Beach is good for a bit of Beat history and some decent restaurants that are touristy. Chinatown is worth a visit, too.

fikus222
05-13-2008, 03:26 PM
Much thanks Chiapet and SFChrissy !!!! We are going out for Sushi in the city on Saturday for my Birfday dinner before heading to the Mighty for Z-Trip.

I'll have to ask her what that place in Burlingame was named. I do know that it is a very traditional Japanese Restaurant and wicked expensive. I think her party of 4's bill rang up as $700, which is unbelievable to me, that's vacation funds right there.

Jakewc151
05-13-2008, 04:34 PM
Im under 21 so I can tell you plenty of fun things to do in the city if you and your girl are under the age.

Check out hippy hill in golden gate park.. It's a kool hang out where you can basically drink (assuming you some how get booze before you come up), smoke, trip whatever.. Usually a nice drum circle going on as well.. In order to get there you'll have to go to the parks entrance in the Haight.

Ocean Beach bon fires are always fun. Make sure to bring lots of firewood and hot dogs.. If you do bring alcohol make sure to try and semi-conceal it as the beach patrol will ticket you (happened to me).

Popscene happens every Thursday at 330 Ritch St. (right across the street from the ballpark). Popscene can be fun, but depending on who is playing the crowd can be super trendy/hipster.

Great American Music Hall/Bimbos/Popscene/Fillmore/Warfield are all 18+/-.
(a great website to check out shows is http://foopee.com/punk/the-list/ )

If you go into the mission make sure to get mexican food and check out dolores park.

that's all for now.

SFChrissy
05-14-2008, 07:50 AM
Much thanks Chiapet and SFChrissy !!!! We are going out for Sushi in the city on Saturday for my Birfday dinner before heading to the Mighty for Z-Trip.

Come back and tell us how the birthday date goes!!!

fikus222
05-14-2008, 01:25 PM
Come back and tell us how the birthday date goes!!!

I think that we have decided on Koo for dinner.

BlueDevil50
05-15-2008, 12:34 PM
wow...thank you all so much! now i just gotta find a deal on a hotel and start planning this trip =)

you guys are the bestestest

jackstraw94086
05-15-2008, 02:20 PM

It's just "Mighty", without the "the" in front.

fikus222
05-15-2008, 02:48 PM
It's just "Mighty", without the "the" in front.

That sounds lame, I like my the's. I put them in front of states too, for instance when I refer to Alaska it is: the AK and the same goes for when I refer to Arizona it is as: the AZ. Or areas too, do you say Arctic or do you say the Arctic ? BTW I have been to all of these places numerous times.

I will be at the Mighty on Friday the 23rd, as well.

kitt kat
05-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Please don't be lame and take her to all the tourist traps. (Alcatraz, trolley ride, Ripley's, etc...)

Also, stay away from Union Square. It's just a giant outdoor mall.

There's plenty under-the-radar places to go in the city. Find a cool concert going on that weekend, Yelp will help with the restaurants, etc.

And, even though it IS touristy, I still like Haight the best for shopping. (Unless your gf isn't the hipster type...if she likes pink fuzzy things and Neiman Marcus, I guess Union Square would be better. *rolls eyes*)

Ok, Chinatown is fun too...haha.

You have to go to the zoo though. Tiger attack or not, it's still the best zoo I've ever been too. Shit, I haven't been there since I was about 15 or so...Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend...

TomAz
05-15-2008, 03:27 PM
in other words, don't do the touristy things except the touristy things kittwit likes.

kitt kat
05-15-2008, 03:33 PM
Precisely.

kitt kat
05-15-2008, 03:34 PM
And I wouldn't call the SF Zoo a tourist trap.

menikmati
05-15-2008, 03:40 PM
I think there are better animal exhibits at the oakland zoo, and plus they're actually allowed to have elephants unlike the sf zoo...problem is, the zoo is in oakland.

SFChrissy
And I wouldn't call the SF Zoo a tourist trap.

I can vouche for the safety...my company did the tiger/lion grotto upgrades after the attack!!!

amyzzz
hahaha

fikus222
05-15-2008, 03:53 PM
I think there are better animal exhibits at the oakland zoo, and plus they're actually allowed to have elephants unlike the sf zoo...problem is, the zoo is in oakland.

I used to live a half mile from and on the same ridge as the Oakland Zoo and when I went there and saw that the lion enclosure went up the hill and towards my house, I was like "umm, okaaay."

The highlight of the day though was when my roommate and I saw a huge bat pee on himself and then wipe it all over his body with his wings all while hanging upside down.

BlackSwan
05-15-2008, 03:58 PM
She didn't mention:

blowfish sushi on 20th & bryant
sushi zone on market & pearl
sushi groove south on 11th & folsom and they have another one on russian hill.

fresh and clean!!!

I <3 blowfish sushi, even though they changed the menu and it isn't as good now

I think that we have decided on Koo for dinner.

i went there the Golfrapp/Cut Copy weekend, pretty good, but not fancy.

BlueDevil50
05-15-2008, 06:31 PM
theres a deal for the dolce hayes mansion in san jose on travelzoo right now...anyone know anything about this hotel?

kitt kat
05-15-2008, 06:40 PM
um......yeah. hayes mansion is pretty nice. i live kinda near there.

fikus222
05-15-2008, 06:48 PM
I <3 blowfish sushi, even though they changed the menu and it isn't as good now

i went there the Golfrapp/Cut Copy weekend, pretty good, but not fancy.

So long as the quality of the fish is above average, I don't really mind the interior's decor/atmosphere.

BlueDevil50
05-15-2008, 06:52 PM
kitt...you ever been inside of it?

what's your real name anyway...i don't like callin you a candy bar haha

SuperClaud
05-15-2008, 06:55 PM
The Tenderloin

LOL! only place i felt i was going to be raped in broad day light on a saturday afternoon 5 minutes after walking away from my parked car...

fatbastard
05-15-2008, 06:55 PM
I love San Francisco. Here's a few.

Walk accross golden gate bridge

Visit Saucilito

North Beach

Chinatown

Japanese garden at Golden Gate Park

Yellow and Blue ferry around golden gate bridge

Coit tower

Mission district

I would recommend that you decide on a couple of places and make the most of your time at those locations. The city isn't for rushing and checking off places you've been to. Appreciate the sun and the wind. Go near the water at night and smell the air. It's such a romantic city. I love Dave Chapelle's description of San Francisco and Oakland. "There's nothing tender about the Tendorloin".

BlueDevil50
05-15-2008, 11:03 PM
if no one else has heard of the hayes mansion, are there any other cool, relatively not too expensive hotels they'd recommend?

BrettShipes
05-15-2008, 11:16 PM
Don't forget Yoshi's SF... absolutely world class Jazz club AND some of the best sushi you'll ever eat. Figure the chef has the Iron Chef San Francisco title. If anyone hasn't been there, I implore you to check it out at least once (even if you think you don't like jazz) http://sf.yoshis.com/sf/jazzclub

Sauce is a restaurant I would recommend to anyone. You can't go wrong with anything you order, it's all superb (try the tomato bisq and the "meat loaf", you'll thank me) http://www.saucesf.com/ (http://www.saucesf.com/)

And yes, do the Exploratorium, maybe to go MOMA.

And get french bread.

jackstraw94086
05-16-2008, 07:08 AM
That sounds lame, I like my the's. I put them in front of states too, for instance when I refer to Alaska it is: the AK and the same goes for when I refer to Arizona it is as: the AZ. Or areas too, do you say Arctic or do you say the Arctic ? BTW I have been to all of these places numerous times.

I will be at the Mighty on Friday the 23rd, as well.

It's not a matter of preference. The title of the club is "Mighty", that's how they named themselves. If you call it "the Mighty" you'll sound like a douche here. It's a pet peeve of the original owners (at least it used to be 5 years ago when it opened because now nobody calls it that). You're probably thinking "well some people call it that and I'm just one of those people". No. Trust me. Nobody.

jackstraw94086
05-16-2008, 07:11 AM
I can vouche for the safety...my company did the tiger/lion grotto upgrades after the attack!!!

former zoo employees and consultants have said that the zoo has been advised for the last 20 years that the tiger enclosure was a risk.

marooko
05-16-2008, 07:17 AM
It's not a matter of preference. The title of the club is "Mighty", that's how they named themselves. If you call it "the Mighty" you'll sound like a douche here. It's a pet peeve of the original owners (at least it used to be 5 years ago when it opened because now nobody calls it that). You're probably thinking "well some people call it that and I'm just one of those people". No. Trust me. Nobody.

ive heard several people say both. "im going to mighty" and "im going to the mighty".

jackstraw94086
05-16-2008, 07:23 AM
ive heard several people say both. "im going to mighty" and "im going to the mighty".

bridge & tunnel no doubt.

I know the current and previous owners, staff, have played there dozens of times. I've had to proof the copy on flyers and promo. They themselves insist that it's "Mighty".

Again, nobody says "the"

Young Blood's Sister
05-16-2008, 07:24 AM
i call it Frisco

thelastgreatman
05-16-2008, 07:25 AM
Bridge and tunnel? What the balls? San Fran does not get to co-opt NY slang--you're barely a real city.

Also, Jack, get your ass into the thread about you and gimme some thoughts.

marooko
05-16-2008, 07:26 AM
bridge & tunnel no doubt.

I know the current and previous owners, staff, have played there dozens of times. I've had to proof the copy on flyers and promo. They themselves insist that it's "Mighty".

Again, nobody says "the"

oh im sorry. you're right. i must have just been hearing things.

oh wait, i dont give a fuck who you know. i dont care to argue it and im not saying its called by a certain name. im saying i heard both. i dont go there cause its a fucking mess, call it what you want.

jackstraw94086
05-16-2008, 07:29 AM
oh im sorry. you're right. i must have just been hearing things.

oh wait, i dont give a fuck who you know. i dont care to argue it and im not saying its called by a certain name. im saying i heard both. i dont go there cause its a fucking mess, call it what you want.

look, pipsqueak. This isn't an "I know because I'm cooler than you" thing. This is a fucking fact. I don't give a fuck what you've heard. You've heard people call it the wrong thing. flat out. plain and simple.

And I'd love to hear you attempt to explain why it's a "fucking mess", but I expect you just tossed that out there because your little feewings awe huwt.

Young Blood's Sister
05-16-2008, 07:32 AM
the Mighty

marooko
05-16-2008, 07:34 AM
This isn't an "I know because I'm cooler than you" thing.

considering all the talk of who you know, thats exactly what it is. and like i said, i wasnt suggesting it was called either or. i said, ive heard both. simple as that. im not arguing the name. i see the flyers all the time "MIGHTY" not "THE MIGHY". but i "hear" poeple say both. right or wrong, they're both said.

who else do you know cool guy?

Young Blood's Sister
05-16-2008, 07:39 AM
i think he made flyers for a Gay-A-Thon once

really big names involved...

even really cool DJs you've never heard of before

jackstraw94086
05-16-2008, 07:39 AM
considering all the talk of who you know, thats exactly what it is. and like i said, i wasnt suggesting it was called either or. i said, ive heard both. simple as that. im not arguing the name. i see the flyers all the time "MIGHTY" not "THE MIGHY". but i "hear" poeple say both. right or wrong, they're both said.

who else do you know cool guy?

alright, fair enough.

I know lots of other people. They're all cool. Some even smoke cigarettes.

btw, there's a great show at the Mighty tonight. Fort Knox 5, Thunderball, and Mat The Alien (canadian dude, fucking ridiculously sick turntablist).

jackstraw94086
05-16-2008, 07:40 AM
i think he made flyers for a Gay-A-Thon once

really big names involved...

even really cool DJs you've never heard of before

how

Young Blood's Sister
05-16-2008, 07:44 AM
fucking ridiculously sick

jigsaw
05-16-2008, 07:47 AM
I call my cock "THE MIGHTY"...

thelastgreatman
You don't get to say bridge and tunnel. And you shouldn't be allowed to call it "the city" either. It's not The City. NY is The City. San Fran is just a bunch of testy homosexual hippies who get pissed off when you abbreviate the name of their half-assed burg and its shitty climate.

marooko
alright, fair enough.

I know lots of other people. They're all cool. Some even smoke cigarettes.

btw, there's a great show at the Mighty tonight. Fort Knox 5, Thunderball, and Mat The Alien (canadian dude, fucking ridiculously sick turntablist).

can we hang out if i start to smoke cigarettes?

ive only been there a few times. the first salted night was fucking banging. i went to see Garth and Julius Papp also. Garth was doing a pretty good job, but Papp was getting too vocal and disco-ie for the mood i was in. and for some reason the vibe felt like everyone was on "E" or heroine. just kinda weird. I cant really remember the other time i went, i was pretty darn drunk.

i would actually like to check out a good turntablist, but we're going camping this weekend.

would it be to much to ask to let me know when another good one is coming?

marooko
05-16-2008, 07:48 AM
You don't get to say bridge and tunnel. And you shouldn't be allowed to call it "the city" either. It's not The City. NY is The City. San Fran is just a bunch of testy homosexual hippies who get pissed off when you abbreviate the name of their half-assed burg and its shitty climate.

thems is fightin' words. i got your back.

thelastgreatman
05-16-2008, 07:50 AM
I don't let mexicans get behind me, Marooko. I know how you slimy fucks operate.

marooko
05-16-2008, 07:52 AM
I don't let mexicans get behind me, Marooko. I know how you slimy fucks operate.

dude, im from the east coast. there's no no way im mexican. its either puerto rican or cuban. unless you moved there.

SFChrissy
05-16-2008, 07:52 AM
if no one else has heard of the hayes mansion, are there any other cool, relatively not too expensive hotels they'd recommend?

Seal Rock Inn...Brad Nowell the singer of sublime died there...your close to the beach, cliff house and the point...nice walks with great views!!!

SFChrissy
05-16-2008, 07:55 AM
former zoo employees and consultants have said that the zoo has been advised for the last 20 years that the tiger enclosure was a risk.

yeah we all know that...it's safe now but I wouldn't say it's visually apealing.

jigsaw
05-16-2008, 07:56 AM
Seal Rock Inn...Brad Nowell the singer of sublime died there...your close to the beach, cliff house and the point...nice walks with great views!!!

Hey,

I checked there for OSL and it is booked. Is there anywhere else close to the park? Whenever I look up hotels near ocean beach all i get is a bed and breakfest joint. Right now I am holding a room at the diva in union square.

Thanks.

marooko
05-16-2008, 07:59 AM
Hey,

I checked there for OSL and it is booked. Is there anywhere else close to the park? Whenever I look up hotels near ocean beach all i get is a bed and breakfest joint. Right now I am holding a room at the diva in union square.

Thanks.

thats a cool place. stayed there a few times.

thelastgreatman
05-16-2008, 08:05 AM
dude, im from the east coast. there's no no way im mexican. its either puerto rican or cuban. unless you moved there.

You have a good point. So what are you--rican or cuban?

SFChrissy
05-16-2008, 08:13 AM
LOL! only place i felt i was going to be raped in broad day light on a saturday afternoon 5 minutes after walking away from my parked car...

What a puss!!!

marooko
05-16-2008, 08:13 AM
rican. half anyway. half Puerto Rican, half Ecuadorian.

thelastgreatman
05-16-2008, 08:15 AM
Half retarded, half poor. Nice mix.

marooko
05-16-2008, 08:16 AM
better than being white. cracka ass cracka.

SFChrissy
05-16-2008, 08:16 AM
Half retarded, half poor. Nice mix.
Randing...shut the fuck up and go take a nap!!!

thelastgreatman
05-16-2008, 08:17 AM
You know goddamn well there is nothing better than being white.

marooko
05-16-2008, 08:18 AM
yeah, i wanna be white so i can feel sorry for myself. sounds wonderful.

thelastgreatman
05-16-2008, 08:20 AM
Who feels sorry for themselves? I walk on carpets made out of your babies and most revered elders, and I don't even go to jail for it.

BlueDevil50
05-16-2008, 08:23 AM
the diva looks amazing...too bad it would be $300 for one night

marooko
05-16-2008, 08:24 AM
Who feels sorry for themselves? I walk on carpets made out of your babies and most revered elders, and I don't even go to jail for it.

you won it now, but you're just frontin'. lets go look at some of your threads. sorry white boy. better watch it before i steal your bike.

marooko
05-16-2008, 08:25 AM

DAMN!!! we've never paid more than 150.

jackstraw94086
05-16-2008, 08:49 AM

I'm from NY, I've worked in Manhattan, I can say bridge & tunnel all I want. The set that I'm refering to are analagous. All you LA pricks are just jealous that within your whole spawling god awful mess of bullshit there's no cool spots from which to call others bridge & tunnel.

suck it.

jackstraw94086
05-16-2008, 08:51 AM
can we hang out if i start to smoke cigarettes?

ive only been there a few times. the first salted night was fucking banging. i went to see Garth and Julius Papp also. Garth was doing a pretty good job, but Papp was getting too vocal and disco-ie for the mood i was in. and for some reason the vibe felt like everyone was on "E" or heroine. just kinda weird. I cant really remember the other time i went, i was pretty darn drunk.

i would actually like to check out a good turntablist, but we're going camping this weekend.

would it be to much to ask to let me know when another good one is coming?

Rico Tubbs is playing there 5/31. That's the only decent show after this weekend (and I'm not counting z-trip on saturday as a decent show)

jackstraw94086
05-16-2008, 08:53 AM

dude I used to work in White Plains and there were lots of mexicans. Not nearly as many as there were puerto ricans, but there are mexicans in some parts of NY. White Plains had a lot of perucho too.

marooko
05-16-2008, 08:59 AM
dude I used to work in White Plains and there were lots of mexicans. Not nearly as many as there were puerto ricans, but there are mexicans in some parts of NY. White Plains had a lot of perucho too.

oh i know it dude. seems like they multiply by 3 every time i go back to visit. it was mainly a play on the old joke that puerto ricans come form new york.

SFChrissy
05-16-2008, 09:03 AM
I'm from NY, I've worked in Manhattan, I can say bridge & tunnel all I want. The set that I'm refering to are analagous. All you LA pricks are just jealous that within your whole spawling god awful mess of bullshit there's no cool spots from which to call others bridge & tunnel.

suck it.

I feel like a chesher cat right now after reading this one!!!

SFChrissy
05-16-2008, 09:05 AM
You know goddamn well there is nothing better than being white.

Bitch I'd rather be me than be a white as cracker!!!

jackstraw94086
05-16-2008, 09:11 AM
oh i know it dude. seems like they multiply by 3 every time i go back to visit. it was mainly a play on the old joke that puerto ricans come form new york.

wait I'm confused now. where else do puerto ricans come from?

marooko
05-16-2008, 09:19 AM

hahahahaahahha. exactly.

jigsaw
05-16-2008, 09:33 AM

DAMN!!! we've never paid more than 150.

not sure of your dates...for OSL it is only 150-180 a night.

I stayed at the Clift last time I was in SF and it was sick. We scored that room for 180 a night.

jigsaw
05-16-2008, 09:33 AM

Mexico

BlueDevil50
05-16-2008, 10:59 AM
not sure of your dates...for OSL it is only 150-180 a night.

I stayed at the Clift last time I was in SF and it was sick. We scored that room for 180 a night.

im looking at june 6th which is a friday.

marooko
05-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Mexico

not funny.

fatbastard
05-19-2008, 01:09 PM
New Carlos Santana/Miles Davis Art Exhibition Opens
May 19, 2008 11:05 AM
By Suzanne Kayian
LiveDaily Contributor
A new fine art and memorabilia exhibition, "A Tribute To Miles Davis and Carlos Santana [ tickets ]," opened in San Francisco May 15 at Lush Life Gallery, which is part of The Jazz Heritage Center in The Fillmore, according to a press release. The art show was scheduled in May to coincide with Davis' birthday month and with the release of Santana's new career-spanning 2-CD set, "Multi Dimensional Warrior."

"A Tribute To Miles Davis and Carlos Santana," which runs through July 30, features multimedia works of art including limited edition photographs and sculptures, and original paintings. Rare artifacts and memorabilia related to Davis and Santana also will be on display.

Santana is set to perform two club dates, May 20-21, at The Fillmore to celebrate his new release and the exhibition's opening.

SFChrissy
05-19-2008, 01:20 PM
im looking at june 6th which is a friday.

Damian Marley is playing at the harmony festival on saturday 06.07.08...petaluma 'bout 45 mins north of the city!!!

BlueDevil50
05-19-2008, 01:35 PM
right on...definitely an option. although, i'm STILL lookin for a decent hotel...

SFChrissy
05-19-2008, 01:45 PM
Dude how decent??? if you guys are driving in stay at the Half moon bay beach house on the beach. go to the festival saturday which is in sonoma county...stay in a b'n b and enjoy sunday in the city and stay at the W...

TomAz
05-19-2008, 01:49 PM
Just stay at the Four Seasons, it's decent.

SFChrissy
05-19-2008, 01:49 PM
EWEEE...

BlueDevil50
05-19-2008, 01:59 PM
i'll check that chrissy...thanks.

so the plans so far were to drive up friday, play that day in the city and then sat go to either BFD at the shoreline or something else. i kinda wanted to stay in a hotel that wasn't a best western but nothing that will force me to take out a loan just to pay for.

SFChrissy
05-19-2008, 02:01 PM
SEAL ROCK INNI think the top floor suites have fireplace...

TomAz
05-19-2008, 02:04 PM
EWEEE...

you think the Four Seasons is "eweee"?

SFChrissy
05-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Definately not but I wouldn't stay there just for the posh factor!!!

TomAz
05-19-2008, 02:06 PM
yes, I guess if good service, a nice room, and good food aren't your cup of tea, then you should avoid that shithole.

BlueDevil50
05-19-2008, 02:16 PM
do you know how much the average room is at the seal rock? i can't call them right now to find out since i'm at work...

SFChrissy
05-19-2008, 02:16 PM
Hold on let me check...probably 80-10

Here's the rate schedule...

Summer Rates: May 16th thru Sept. 15th
1 Person West Side Ocean Front North Side Ocean View Corner Suite Ocean Front
1st Floor $129 from $125 $135
2nd Floor $139 from $125 $154
3rd Floor $149 from $126 $167
2 Persons
1st Floor $139 from $135 $147
2nd Floor $149 from $135 $154
3rd Floor $159 from $136 $167
Bridal Suite $167

http://www.sealrockinn.com/

I was gonna say pacifica beach resort but that's 180/night

fikus222
05-19-2008, 02:23 PM
Our dinner at Koo on Saturday night was great !!! The fish was really really good and the service was perfect. My wife was especially pleased, she said it was the best fish she had tasted in the city. The place in Burlingame is still better, but Koo is very pleasing. Thx again for the heads up !!!

BlueDevil50
05-19-2008, 02:31 PM
thanks hun!

have you ever stayed there before, or just heard good things about it?

SFChrissy
05-19-2008, 02:35 PM
Why would I need to stay in a hotel/motel in my own area??? It's right around the corner from my friends place and her father in law who works for the royal norweigen consolate stays when he comes to visit.

you are litteraly above the ocean, and a very short walk to the historical san francisco sutro bath and cliff house...

SFChrissy
05-19-2008, 02:42 PM
if this one doesn't work...you'll have to find one tomorrow!!! The weekend is already here since your thursday or early friday!!! Lemme know if you book it...

BlueDevil50
05-19-2008, 02:50 PM
gotcha...how far do you think from union square that hotel is?

oh, and i just figured maybe you and the MR. might have stayed there for a romantic getaway or something...but you are a cutie, if you want you can come have fun with me and my gf ;) haha

TomAz
05-19-2008, 03:07 PM
he called her 'hun'. hahaha

jackstraw94086
05-19-2008, 03:13 PM
anything with an "ocean view" is a long way from union square.

If you want a nice hotel downtown you're gonna pay.

BlueDevil50
05-19-2008, 03:49 PM
tom yes, we know you're too cool for school.

jack...that's what i figured but was hoping for some sort of miracle/deal to pop up. so far it looks like the seal rock and the dolce hayes mansion are going to be the best bets.

TomAz
05-19-2008, 03:54 PM
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/hdglassset2.jpg

jackstraw94086
05-19-2008, 04:37 PM
tom yes, we know you're too cool for school.

jack...that's what i figured but was hoping for some sort of miracle/deal to pop up. so far it looks like the seal rock and the dolce hayes mansion are going to be the best bets.

why would you stay in San Jose? That's an hour outside SF.

chiapet
05-19-2008, 04:41 PM
Our dinner at Koo on Saturday night was great !!!

Glad to hear it turned out well :) I'm not sure I think it's the 'best' but it's pretty good and yet can still walk in and get a table reasonably quickly.

chiapet
05-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Dolce Hayes is very cool but is no where near SF. Granted should not be tons of traffic late at night, but I wouldn't want to drive up from there on Friday for the show.

BlueDevil50
05-20-2008, 12:34 AM
i was just looking into dolce because there was an awesome deal off travelzoo for like $120 out the door for a friday night...

fikus222
05-20-2008, 02:37 AM
Glad to hear it turned out well :) I'm not sure I think it's the 'best' but it's pretty good and yet can still walk in and get a table reasonably quickly.

It is the best we have personally encountered in SF, granted we haven't been to hardly any of the sushi joints provided in this thread, which is a shame since we will have to begin the hunt all over again once we move to Seattle in September.

jackstraw94086
05-20-2008, 07:14 AM
i was just looking into dolce because there was an awesome deal off travelzoo for like $120 out the door for a friday night...

but add another $20 for gas and a couple wasted hours of your vacation. It's in san jose, dude.

sbessiso
05-20-2008, 07:17 AM
I wannaa gooooooo

soooo badly to outside lands

jackstraw94086
05-20-2008, 07:19 AM
I can't wait to hear horror stories of people crammed into the park like chinese fuck slaves in cargo containers.

sbessiso
05-20-2008, 07:31 AM
lol!

SFChrissy
05-20-2008, 08:10 AM
This thread isn't even 'bout OSL...it's bluedevil bringing his chick here this weekend for her birthday...

Sbessio...start cutting your grocery list down to ramen noodles and you might be able to make it up here for OSL!!!

sbessiso
05-20-2008, 08:12 AM
i know i know chrissy (very dissapointed I didnt get to see you at coach)

friday is really the only day I want to go, with black keys, beck and radiohead all leading into each other, I dont have enough underwear for such a lineup!

SFChrissy
05-20-2008, 08:42 AM
FREEEEEE BIRRRRRDDDSSSSS!!! Now that there only selling single days get one for friday and spend the rest of the weekend hanging out in the city or other parts of the park listening to the concert for free and chilling!!!

I know I would have really liked hooking up with you at chella...why the ehff didn't I get a PM with your numbah or a plan 'n shit?!?!?!

fatbastard
05-20-2008, 09:44 AM
I enjoy The Hyatt next to Fisherman's Wharf. It's a good location.

BlueDevil50
05-20-2008, 11:45 AM
ya...i guess you're right jack. i'll keep lookin, and i'll check the hyatt, FB thanks.

fikus222
05-20-2008, 02:34 PM
I can't wait to hear horror stories of people crammed into the park like chinese fuck slaves in cargo containers.

I have already been to two concerts in GGP with over 50,ooo people in just the Polo Field alone and OSL is spread out amongst a very large portion of the park. I think we'll be fine.

canexplain
05-20-2008, 02:56 PM
Dude how decent??? if you guys are driving in stay at the Half moon bay beach house on the beach. go to the festival saturday which is in sonoma county...stay in a b'n b and enjoy sunday in the city and stay at the W...

there was a time a few years ago, when i pulled up to the beach house , they knew me by name before i even checked in ... then i would go to that restarant sp next door and they would give me free drinks ... fun times ... hey sfc, what is the name of that damn place up north, around marin, which has some famous firehouse i think, but they also have the ????? lodge that have all the theme rooms .... they are prob a bunch of places like that, but this one is famous to a lot of people anyway .... x****

BlueDevil50
05-24-2008, 06:52 PM
does anyone know anything about the hotel, sofitel san francisco bay? it's in redwood city and has a killer deal for $135

Courtney
05-24-2008, 06:56 PM
does anyone know anything about the hotel, sofitel san francisco bay? it's in redwood city and has a killer deal for $135

Have you looked at the hotel's user reviews on Tripadvisor (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32956-d217295-Reviews-Sofitel_San_Francisco-Redwood_City_California.html)? They're generally a pretty good indicator of things.

BlueDevil50
05-24-2008, 07:08 PM
awesome, thanks courtney...

TomAz
05-24-2008, 09:06 PM
I second trip advisor. I have learned that they are the most reliable out there.

SFChrissy
05-27-2008, 09:40 AM
there was a time a few years ago, when i pulled up to the beach house , they knew me by name before i even checked in ... then i would go to that restarant sp next door and they would give me free drinks ... fun times ... hey sfc, what is the name of that damn place up north, around marin, which has some famous firehouse i think, but they also have the ????? lodge that have all the theme rooms .... they are prob a bunch of places like that, but this one is famous to a lot of people anyway .... x****
I had no idea that place existed until my neighbor and his wife solicited me to have a three some with them...I was flattered but totally grossed out...the husband continued to stalk me for 2 years after that...thank god they moved!!! I don't know what the name of that place is but I know what your talking 'bout...

jackstraw94086
05-27-2008, 10:15 AM
I just heard from someone that they stayed at the Stratford Hotel on Union Square last week for $109/night. That was probably booked a bit in advance though.

Young blood
06-02-2008, 09:34 AM
2 questions.

City Beer Store. Any good?

Best place for cheap but good seafood/oysters?

SFChrissy
06-02-2008, 09:40 AM
don't know 'bout the beer store but that looks like a gorgeous find!!! Try Pompei's Grotto it's down by fisherman's wharf but in the back by cannary row...

jackstraw94086
06-02-2008, 10:35 AM
do not, under any cirmcumstances, eat at the fucking wharf unless you have no respect for your own money and taste.

Sam's Grill on on Bush St is regarded as one of the best seafood spots in SF. It's way more reasonably priced than the wharf tourist traps too. Order the Frank Salad. (not on the menu). The place has a very old school, late 50's kind of feel to it. like there should be gangsters eating there. The staff is all ancient.

I've seen that city beer store before but never visited. I have friends who live a block from it and they've mentioned it but didn't say anything memorable about it. It looks somewhat fancy and expensive from the outside though. Just a block from there is Brainwash cafe/laundromat. That's a cool spot.

Young blood
06-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the tips. Sams Grill menu looks fantastic and perfectly priced. Im going to have to check out the Brainwash cafe too. I read reviews about Pompei's Grotto on yelp. Most said no go, but thanks for the suggestion chrissy.

SFChrissy
06-02-2008, 11:40 AM
I read reviews about Pompei's Grotto on yelp. Most said no go, but thanks for the suggestion chrissy.EWEEEEE!!! I just read it, thanks for the heads up...sorry 'bout that I've been there a handful of times and haven't had a shitty experience!!! I'm not exactly a great recommendation for seafood in the city as I only eat it fresh caught at home or in half moon bay or jenner and nothing gets better than those 2 places...

jackstraw94086
06-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Im going to have to check out the Brainwash cafe too.

bring laundry.

Young blood
06-02-2008, 11:54 AM
what if I just want to get drunk and play vidja games? Do they not take kindly to those folks?

Young blood
06-09-2008, 08:06 AM
Note: Sams Grill is not open on the weekend.

Don't find this out the hard way.

stinkbutt
11-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Bump

I'm gonna be in this town around New Year's Eve for the Fantomas show. What are some good places to drink, eat, and stay? Are there any other good shows around this time? How is the weather that time of year?

rage patton
11-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Who is drumming for Fantomas? Dave Lombardo? I heard Terry Boizo might be filling in for him. Also, have you seen them live before? How are they?

stinkbutt
11-05-2008, 03:07 PM
I think it's Lombardo this tour Bozzio was just filling in for awhile when Slayer was at work although I would gladly welcome Bozzio he is amazing. I seen them with the Melvins here a couple years ago on 4/20 and it was amazing they are electric live. Rage you really should go to this.

rage patton
11-05-2008, 03:10 PM
I am seriously considering it. There is one main reason I might not be able to go... but I will save the details. If I get it cleared up though, and everything works out, I will be there.

stinkbutt
11-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Well if you make it I'll buy you and you fiance a beer. That is if you're 21 by then if not we'll just be sneaky about it.

rage patton
11-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Hehe, we are both 20 so we would have to be sneaky. But yeah, if I do go, we would have to meet up.