PDA

View Full Version : Led Zeppelin set for 250million world tour

GnarVee
05-10-2008, 08:17 AM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/2008/05/10/whole-lotta-gigs-89520-20412939/

"But now it looks almost certain. It would be early 2009 ending in Indio, California on April 26th"

ok....so I made the last part up.......go get em' Paul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stinkbutt
05-10-2008, 08:19 AM
A long-time pal, Whitesnake's frontman David Coverdale, said yesterday the tour was "very likely" and he was expecting to be the support act.
David said: "I'm expecting a call from Jimmy any day asking my band Whitesnake to support them on their world tour. Am I on board? You bet. Probably worth billions!

Eeeeeeeeewwwww

idrive1life
05-10-2008, 08:38 AM
Wow! *x2*

suprefan
05-10-2008, 08:59 AM
ok so we need 3 threads?

idrive1life
05-10-2008, 09:01 AM
I expect to see more dups in the next few hours.

chiapet
05-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Are we really quoting the Mirror now?

sbessiso
05-10-2008, 11:54 AM
yeah seriously ^^^^

isnt it a tabloid?

i_like_cake530
05-10-2008, 11:55 AM
ok so we need 3 threads?

We need more than three....FUCK YEAH!!!!!!

allthingsthatrock
05-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Holy Shit....This is awesome

PassiveTheory
05-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Ugh, Whitesnake? Seriously?

sbessiso
05-10-2008, 12:50 PM
I might be the only one not too thrilled about this

allthingsthatrock
05-10-2008, 01:02 PM

I really doubt it will be them. At least for my own sake.

xxxxxxxxxx
05-10-2008, 02:00 PM
I bet Foo Fighters open for them.

faxman75
05-10-2008, 02:15 PM

I really could give a fuck. Possibly the most overrated band in history. Yeah they got some singles but all the blues riff rip offs and over time learning of the plagiarism and failing to give credit to some real writers, I just don't understand what would be so great about seeing this band at age 100+.

Somehow Waters solo is way more exciting than this. Honestly, the rockers would be fun but certainly not worth all the fuss that's out there.

Sushov23
05-10-2008, 02:15 PM
I would think the Foo Fighters make the best band that could open for Led. I guess we will find out, because at this point we all know Led Zep is going to tour.

orbit
05-10-2008, 02:16 PM

I'd say most people give a fuck about that.

GnarVee
05-10-2008, 04:33 PM
I want TMV support.....

Sushov23
05-10-2008, 04:35 PM
What is up with the Mars Volta not coming to the west coast again for this tour?

stinkbutt
05-10-2008, 05:40 PM

The singer for Whitesnake and Jimmy Page did have a project together

faxman75
05-10-2008, 07:35 PM
What is up with the Mars Volta not coming to the west coast again for this tour?

heh Sasquatch.

Sushov23
05-10-2008, 07:36 PM
i'm talking CA dates.

chiapet
05-10-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm not sure I'd get my heart set on anything written in the Mirror quoting someone who was paid to give a story.

Plus I'm not really that interested in them touring. :)

shaggyduck
05-10-2008, 07:47 PM
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g312/gobuffs10/coachellazeppelin-1.jpg

Welcome to my world, bitches.

GnarVee
05-11-2008, 07:45 AM
IM FUCKN THERE

MarkO
05-11-2008, 07:53 AM
Let's see it in something a little more reputable than the Mirror. Please.

Astrid
05-11-2008, 01:34 PM
eh. i cant see the foo fighters opening for led zeppelin. i mean if that is the best the music community really has to offer them...thats pretty tragic.

i would think of someone better. but it hurts in my brain to think right now.

BrettShipes
05-11-2008, 04:33 PM
I've been looking for longer than I should and I've yet to find another source confirming this... I'm skeptical.

rage patton
05-11-2008, 04:35 PM
eh. i cant see the foo fighters opening for led zeppelin. i mean if that is the best the music community really has to offer them...thats pretty tragic.

i would think of someone better. but it hurts in my brain to think right now.

You can't? Seriously? Dave Grohl almost got the job for drumming for Zeppelin, so obviously Zeppelin are big Foo Fighters fans. It would make perfect sense.
It sure would be a hell of a lot better than Whitesnake.

Sushov23
05-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Led Zeppelin w/ whitesnake as openers
That just does not sound right, at least to me it doesn't.

Alchemy
05-11-2008, 04:52 PM
You can't? Seriously? Dave Grohl almost got the job for drumming for Zeppelin, so obviously Zeppelin are big Foo Fighters fans. It would make perfect sense.

Not to mention that John Paul Jones conducted the little string section for Foo Fighters at the Grammy's.

Sushov23
05-11-2008, 04:53 PM
FOO FIGHTERS for the win.

rage patton
05-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Not to mention that John Paul Jones conducted the little string section for Foo Fighters at the Grammy's.

Oh right, I totally forgot about that. He also played melotron and another instrument on the acoustic half of In Your Honor.

orbit
05-11-2008, 05:17 PM
Led Zeppelin w/ whitesnake as openers
That just does not sound right, at least to me it doesn't.

i thought the opener would be the polyphonic spree.

humanoid
05-11-2008, 05:29 PM

I would think that if Zeppelin were into Dave Grohl for his drumming, then Nirvana would be the opener instead of Foo Fighters

GauchoGuy17
05-11-2008, 07:35 PM
I really could give a fuck. Possibly the most overrated band in history. Yeah they got some singles but all the blues riff rip offs and over time learning of the plagiarism and failing to give credit to some real writers, I just don't understand what would be so great about seeing this band at age 100+.

Somehow Waters solo is way more exciting than this. Honestly, the rockers would be fun but certainly not worth all the fuss that's out there.

That "plagiarism" thing is a joke. They are based in the blues. Tons of blues songs share the same damn lyrics. And which of Jimmy Page's riffs, exactly, would you say are rip-offs, and which songs did they rip off?

And please don't tell me Taurus = Stairway to Heaven.

hypervera
05-11-2008, 11:26 PM
the world loves zeppelin

coachella people loves floyd because they are experimental stuff "radiohead's grandfather" thats all and well they cant take real rock n roll!!

faxman75
05-12-2008, 06:59 AM
That "plagiarism" thing is a joke. They are based in the blues. Tons of blues songs share the same damn lyrics. And which of Jimmy Page's riffs, exactly, would you say are rip-offs, and which songs did they rip off?

And please don't tell me Taurus = Stairway to Heaven.

Such a joke that they were forced to give credit to the original artists. I take it you haven't heard all the songs side by side. You are one of the first people I have heard call it a joke. You really have to have an identical sound to win cases like the original artist did in these cases and Zeppelin lost and were forced to credit those they ripped the fuck off.

The prelude to "Bring It on Home" is a cover of Sonny Boy Williamson's "Bring it on Home" and drew comparisons with Willie Dixon's "Bring It on Back".

This is well documented and there are quite a few other examples, not sure why you would argue otherwise if you don't even know what examples I have in store.

At the end of the day you can't convince me that Led Zeppelin is an original rock band. The big kick in the pants is when someone asked Zeppelin if they could use one of their songs for a movie and they flat out declined. I think it was Whole Lotta Love which i'm sure you know was ripped off as well. I simply don't care about Zeppelin nearly as much as I do about other bands. I wouldn't put them up there with the Stones, Hendrix, Floyd, The Beatles. They are a tier below.

Xenocide
05-12-2008, 08:29 AM
HERE'S WHAT A CLASS-A IDIOT SOUNDS LIKE...

I really could give a fuck. Possibly the most overrated band in history. Yeah they got some singles but all the blues riff rip offs and over time learning of the plagiarism and failing to give credit to some real writers, I just don't understand what would be so great about seeing this band at age 100+. honestly, the rockers would be fun but certainly not worth all the fuss that's out there.

faxman75
05-12-2008, 08:33 AM
lol oh my, what will I do with myself.

Xenocide
05-12-2008, 08:37 AM
what will I do with myself.

play, apparently... while we're listening to the gods of rock...

GauchoGuy17
05-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Such a joke that they were forced to give credit to the original artists. I take it you haven't heard all the songs side by side. You are one of the first people I have heard call it a joke. You really have to have an identical sound to win cases like the original artist did in these cases and Zeppelin lost and were forced to credit those they ripped the fuck off.

The prelude to "Bring It on Home" is a cover of Sonny Boy Williamson's "Bring it on Home" and drew comparisons with Willie Dixon's "Bring It on Back".

This is well documented and there are quite a few other examples, not sure why you would argue otherwise if you don't even know what examples I have in store.

At the end of the day you can't convince me that Led Zeppelin is an original rock band. The big kick in the pants is when someone asked Zeppelin if they could use one of their songs for a movie and they flat out declined. I think it was Whole Lotta Love which i'm sure you know was ripped off as well. I simply don't care about Zeppelin nearly as much as I do about other bands. I wouldn't put them up there with the Stones, Hendrix, Floyd, The Beatles. They are a tier below.

You're talking about lyrics, dude. Fucking lyrics. Who gives a shit about lyrics? Especially in the blues genre, where everybody rips off everybody?

I've been researching this a bit, and some of these comparisons are stretches that could dislocate your shoulder. I mean, one of these sites claims Heart's "Barracuda" as the inspiration for Achilles' Last Stand, which is a total joke.

Bring It On Home's intro is one of the only examples of musical phrases being used. Even so, the song completely turns that intro on its head (which is the entire point of the song). Page's incendiary blues riff is nowhere to be found in the original source material. This is a song that they make completely their own.

In any case, even if they covered blues songs, the arrangements were completely different, and in most cases, miles beyond the originals. Zeppelin's musicianship blows the originals out of the water in most cases. And you mention Hendrix; surely you know that some of his best known songs are covers? But he made them completely his own, which is the most important thing in cases like this.

wmgaretjax
05-12-2008, 11:06 AM
end of the story is this:

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if their songs were direct rip offs or not, because the music isn't that original in the first place.

PotVsKtl
05-12-2008, 11:13 AM
2k6n6oM-lCU

PotVsKtl
05-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Robert Plant is a slimy fuck
John Bonham man, he really sucked
Those greedy fuckers, those phoney shits
They made their money off idiots
I hate Led Zeppelin [x2]
12 dollar concerts were all the rage
They bought cocaine for Jimmy Page
"Stairway to Heaven" makes me see red
Bonzo's buried, only three more left
I hate Led Zeppelin [x2]

GauchoGuy17
05-12-2008, 11:30 AM
end of the story is this:

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if their songs were direct rip offs or not, because the music isn't that original in the first place.

Nothing that uses the blues scales in the key of E primarily could be all that original from a note-by-note point of view.

Still, Zeppelin's style was like nothing else at the time. I've listened to the artists that they supposedly drew from, and they really don't sound anything alike.

rage patton
05-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Ahaha, oh Screeching Weasel.

SFChrissy
05-12-2008, 11:39 AM
You are not alone my friend!!!

Lurker_in_a_tree
05-12-2008, 11:50 AM
HjPAEPFaxoM

GauchoGuy17
05-12-2008, 12:24 PM
^^^ LOL.

The alleged "rip-off" Led Zeppelin songs don't sound anything like the originals in the instances where they are actually the same songs (Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, You Shook Me, Whole Lotta Love). Besides, Zeppelin ended up giving songwriting credits to Willie Dixon where they were applicable.

And the Taurus = Stairway to Heaven allegations are a joke. Only the descending bass notes are similar. Everything else is completely different.

faxman75
05-12-2008, 01:38 PM
dude, you might wanna check them ears out lol. Apparently you already admitted plagerism when you say laugh at ripped off lyrics and say who gives a fuck about that. Calling them all cover songs is a streatch that's more of a joke than anything else but the fact is I don't care about Zeppelin and they are simply not anywhere near the same league as Pink Floyd and seeing Zeppelin play does nothing for me because i'm simply not a fan.

GauchoGuy17
05-12-2008, 01:51 PM
dude, you might wanna check them ears out lol. Apparently you already admitted plagerism when you say laugh at ripped off lyrics and say who gives a fuck about that. Calling them all cover songs is a streatch that's more of a joke than anything else but the fact is I don't care about Zeppelin and they are simply not anywhere near the same league as Pink Floyd and seeing Zeppelin play does nothing for me because i'm simply not a fan.

If you aren't a fan, then don't post in this thread.

I'm saying that Led Zeppelin using blues lyrics isn't a big deal, because it was common in those days for blues musicians to cover songs from other songwriters. This is what "standards" are. And I could care less if a few verses from certain songs share lyrics with other songs if the instrumental arrangements are completely different (which they are, in every single case).

As for them not being in the same league musically as Pink Floyd, I just don't think that's true at all. Pink Floyd might beat them lyrically (and who can really beat Roger Waters for lyrics?), but instrumentally, they're equal if not better.

Anyway, having seen Led Zeppelin play in London last December, and also having seen Roger Waters at Coachella, I'd have to say that both live shows were amazing. If Zeppelin played Coachella, it would be a real treat for almost everyone.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-12-2008, 02:10 PM
holy shite..someone who actually went to the LZ show...I think even with all the trash talking folks here will still see LZ if they headlined Coachella next year...

GauchoGuy17
05-12-2008, 02:17 PM
holy shite..someone who actually went to the LZ show...I think even with all the trash talking folks here will still see LZ if they headlined Coachella next year...

They were so good. Hearing them play No Quarter almost made me cry.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-12-2008, 02:18 PM
They were so good. Hearing them play No Quarter almost made me cry.

That and Kashmir are the songs I want to hear live....Did anyone hear ever hear Tool's cover of No Quarter? Fucking amazing...

faxman75
05-12-2008, 02:23 PM
If you aren't a fan, then don't post in this thread.

Whoa hold up. I must have missed that rule. Quit your bitching. You don't have to be a fan of the band in said thread. lol that's silly.

I'm saying that Led Zeppelin using blues lyrics isn't a big deal, because it was common in those days for blues musicians to cover songs from other songwriters. This is what "standards" are. And I could care less if a few verses from certain songs share lyrics with other songs if the instrumental arrangements are completely different (which they are, in every single case).

As for them not being in the same league musically as Pink Floyd, I just don't think that's true at all. Pink Floyd might beat them lyrically (and who can really beat Roger Waters for lyrics?), but instrumentally, they're equal if not better.

Pink Floyd was innovative, Zeppelin was not and that means both lyrically and musically. Floyd put on cenematic orchestratins and unbelievable symphonic demonstrations that were original and groundbreaking and you want to compare that to Zeppelin who you admit ripped off lyrics and music from other artists. Sad.

Anyway, having seen Led Zeppelin play in London last December, and also having seen Roger Waters at Coachella, I'd have to say that both live shows were amazing. If Zeppelin played Coachella, it would be a real treat for almost everyone.

Oh so we agree. Bravo. :D

humanoid
05-12-2008, 04:40 PM
dammit!!! we're all supposed to agree!!!!

shaggyduck
05-12-2008, 05:10 PM
It's pretty pathetic that anyone would try to discredit Led Zeppelin for their musical and song writing capabilities. It's laughable, actually, because they openly stated who their influences were plenty of times.

shaggyduck
05-12-2008, 05:11 PM
HjPAEPFaxoM

OH MY GOSH! Led Zeppelin took good music and made it better!!! THAT"AS NOT ALLWEOED TO AHPPENDS!

shaggyduck
05-12-2008, 05:16 PM
MJPdVVOmbz4

OMFGZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz!!!!! DAFT PUNKS SUCKZORSZQ@!!@E

fucking morons.

woogie846
05-12-2008, 05:53 PM
hahahaha whitesnake...

Sushov23
05-12-2008, 06:33 PM
whitesnake as openers. LOL.

crazzz2007
05-12-2008, 07:21 PM
led zeppellin will NOT play coachella 09.

-crazzz12345

C DUB YA
05-12-2008, 07:24 PM
yeah - it appears they are too costly already

jazzz
05-12-2008, 11:32 PM
Foo Fighters = Whitesnake

moodringer10
05-13-2008, 11:50 AM
whitesnake....really?? is that the best they could come up with?

Sushov23
05-13-2008, 12:38 PM
Foo Fighters = Whitesnake

you fail at life, and should commit suicide.

crazzz2007
05-13-2008, 04:29 PM
you fail at life, and should commit suicide.

ummmm.....actually.....YOU fail at life.

you are going to see Jack Johnson 3 times this year. i searched and searched, and couldn't find a "FAIL" pic that was appropriate for your level of FAIL.

Sushov23
05-13-2008, 07:24 PM
shut the fuck up, its for my girl. I don't really care. plus i'm not paying.

PassiveTheory
05-13-2008, 07:32 PM
Can I not have 2 more of my fans fighting and wishing suicide upon each other?... God, people.

menikmati
05-13-2008, 07:35 PM
Foo Fighters are like arena rock these days. Kinda sad.

Sushov23
05-13-2008, 07:35 PM
passive you know me, i'm as chill as they come. I just hate how people love judging because you have a certain artist you like and what not. who cares? we all love music, and all sorts of it, so what does it matter?

PassiveTheory
05-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Yeah... But jazzz sent me a bunch of CDs for my show, so I feel obliged to step in when you tell him to kill himself. That's not cool, dude.

jazzz
05-13-2008, 08:28 PM
Thanks Lee but poor Sushov23 is a bit Slightly Stoopid.

Sushov23
05-13-2008, 08:33 PM
I was just playing around jazzz. I just think Foo Fighters are like 10 levels above Whitesnake. PEACE?

jazzz
05-13-2008, 08:39 PM
I know. I don't take the board to seriously when it comes to "fuck offs" after all it's like a lil family. Peace!

Sushov23
05-13-2008, 08:45 PM
seriously, I think everyone here(yep even you SUPRE) is cool