PDA

View Full Version : What artists do you/would you tour for?

HunterGather
05-09-2008, 05:52 AM
Just curious about some of the peoples here.

What bands/artists do you or would you tour for?
As in, trek across the lands to see multiple shows.

Some friends of mine practically do almost every U.S. Tori Amos show (in the past, they have done Europe too).

I know Radiohead fans do the same.

I personally haven't done anything to that extreme (though, I did do 2 Daft Punk shows back to back in Seattle and Denver...plus Miami in 2006).

When Massive Attack come back to the states, I'm definantly gonna do a bunch of shows. I could have seen them 3 times in a row in Roseland in NY in 2006, but I just saw one of the shows. Kinda regret it, but its all good.

Hopefully Portishead will do some U.S. shows. I'll do at least 2 or 3 of them.

And if Basement Jaxx do a tour in the U.S. (hopefully soon, as they have a new album they are working on) I AM GOING TO BE ALL OVER THAT TOUR!
And I love that they switch of their setlists.

Based on what my friends tell me, the touring experience can be amazing but also a test on if you can handle being around the same group of people for extended periods of time (not to mention the financial strains).

humanoid
05-09-2008, 05:59 AM
I've done it for Radiohead in the past, and it was great....but I can't think of a band that I would for nowadays...

Its been a ton of fun before, but now I'd rather see different shows by different bands than spend a significant amount of my concert budget seeing the same band playing nearly the same set

TonyWonder
05-09-2008, 06:20 AM
I try to catch as many shows from Tool and Radiohead as possible. It's nice because as soon as Tool season dies down, Radiohead season begins to bloom.

Caught 5 Tool shows on the last tour (2 Dallas, 1 Fort Worth, 1 OKC, 1 New Orleans)

I have 3 Radiohead shows booked (Dallas, Houston and Indiana) so far. Trying to get to the Seattle show to make it 4.

The only other artist I travel for is Bjork. I love me some Bjork.

HunterGather
05-09-2008, 06:28 AM
I was going to do multiple shows for Bjork as well, but I couldnt make it cause of money issues.
I was set to go to Red Rocks in 07, but something came up.
I made it to her Detroit show with M.I.A., so that was pretty sweet.
But yeah, If i could go back, I definantly would have done those 3 NY shows on the first leg, Red Rocks, and Chicago.

I really hope she comes back to the states one more time for this tour, but I doubt it. But I guess seeing that one show makes it more special....

humanoid
05-09-2008, 06:32 AM
it totally depends on what type of tour it is too.....If Radiohead were playing The Greek in Berkeley, The Gorge and Red Rocks, I may consider it again for the hell of it....but not if they were playing a bunch of arenas

gaypalmsprings
05-09-2008, 06:36 AM
None. I'd like to do a NASCAR tour if I had the money.

humanoid
05-09-2008, 06:41 AM
I might do some touring if the Smiths ever reunited....or Pink Floyd...but I'm not holding my breath for either one

bug on your lip
05-09-2008, 06:47 AM
those bears that wear tiny cowboy hats & ride tricycles

woogie846
05-09-2008, 06:54 AM
Define "tour." Does that mean going from coast to coast, or going out of state for a show or two?

fatbastard
05-09-2008, 07:02 AM
qk0XnyrENrE

TonyWonder
05-09-2008, 07:06 AM
I was going to do multiple shows for Bjork as well, but I couldnt make it cause of money issues.
I was set to go to Red Rocks in 07, but something came up.
I made it to her Detroit show with M.I.A., so that was pretty sweet.
But yeah, If i could go back, I definantly would have done those 3 NY shows on the first leg, Red Rocks, and Chicago.

I really hope she comes back to the states one more time for this tour, but I doubt it. But I guess seeing that one show makes it more special....

Yeah, I doubt she gets back to the US until next tour.

I wanted to see her at Red Rocks sooooooooooo badly but couldn't make it work. I would have given anything to see her New York performances. We actually looked into seeing the Sugarcubes reunion in Iceland and making a big trip out of it but it was just too much $$$. Ended up seeing her at Coachella and ACL so I was satisfied.

betao
05-09-2008, 07:54 AM
It would depend on the scenario and money issues. Like if Radiohead announced "this will be probably be our last tour ever", then I would go for more than 1 show.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-09-2008, 08:09 AM
Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Bjork, Daft Punk and now Portishead as well....

TommyboyUNM
05-09-2008, 08:15 AM
I really can't think of one that I would really wanna "tour" with all that bad. The closest might be Rage, but I'm not even seeing them at all this year (unless they announce more dates that are convenient).

Last year I saw Muse 3 times in a little over a month. The shows were Red Rocks, Street Scene and Vegoose. I was going to Street Scene anyway and they just happened to headine and the Vegoose thing happened in large part because it was Muse AND Rage.

But who knows. I haven't seen Radiohead yet. That might change my life. :)

whynotsmile99
05-09-2008, 08:23 AM
i've followed Flogging molly with a friend from Ventura to LA to Vegas which was incredibly fun and exhausting at the same time. For sleep, we drank Pabst beer till we passed out in the parking lot of Harrahs the day before the show. We drove back to Ventura from vegas right after the show.

I can't believe I didn't crash

SFChrissy
05-09-2008, 08:28 AM
I'll do it when Jane's tours with Eric...

bartelby
05-09-2008, 08:44 AM
None. I'd like to do a NASCAR tour if I had the money.

I have no idea how this is entertaining

C DUB YA
05-09-2008, 08:45 AM
done it twice - U2 (8 shows) and Oasis (10 shows)

87 and 96

MarkO
05-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Wilco

C DUB YA
05-09-2008, 08:46 AM
I might do some touring if the Smiths ever reunited....or Pink Floyd...but I'm not holding my breath for either one

me too on the smiths

bartelby
05-09-2008, 08:49 AM
radiohead 4 times this summer but only cause its all within driving distance

chiapet
05-09-2008, 09:36 AM
I'd thought about going to the UK for MBV but was sure they'd play the US and am glad I held out. If Slowdive ever reformed, I'd have to see it, no matter where they were playing. I'd like to say the same thing about the stone Roses, but apparently they were awful live. :)

I can't think of any current/new bands that inspire the same dedication from me.

PassiveTheory
05-09-2008, 09:52 AM
I'd follow the Smiths if they ever toured.

ThomThom
05-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Radiohead, Portishead, David Bowie, The Talking Heads, The Strokes, and Mogwai.

BlackSwan
05-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Radiohead, Talking Heads or David Byrne/Brian Eno, LCD Soundsystem, Daft Punk

Melanie.Dawn
05-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Some people will probably cringe when I say this but I have somewhat done that for the Mars Volta. Back in the deloused days. We went on a trip to California just to see them, one day in Santa Cruz and the next day in Irvine.

I also went on a separate road trip to see them in Oregon.

And when they come here, I've always gone to the Calgary show and then the Edmonton show the next day.

They are coming back here at the end of this month and I have a ticket, but due to the lack of good music they have put out, I don't have any plans on going any further than Calgary anymore...

I would love to follow radiohead though!

kreutz2112
05-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Pearl Jam.

rage patton
05-09-2008, 11:25 AM
If Faith No More or Mr. Bungle ever tour, no matter what financial situation I am in, I will hit up as many shows as I can.

There are also tons of bands I would see in Vancouver and Seattle, like I am doing for Radiohead, but I won't bother going into that list.

bmack86
05-09-2008, 11:27 AM
I went down to San Diego, to the LA show, then up to San Francisco to see Boredoms over the course of four days. If I had more money I would have gone to Seattle and Oregon as well.

I'd tour the world for/with Joanna Newsom.

Pixiessp
05-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Wilco

now that would be fun. I could see following Wilco around for a bit.

luckyface
05-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Pearl Jam is really the only one I have traveled to see in multiple locations.

I would do it for Mogwai, Sigur, Radiohead, and a bunch of random downtempo acts if they ever toured, if the opportunity presented itself.

PassiveTheory
05-09-2008, 12:06 PM
I'd tour the world for/with Joanna Newsom.

I'd tour Joanna Newsom. *wink**wink**nudge**nudge*

Mr. Dylanja
05-09-2008, 12:52 PM
I've traveled to follow Tool and Daft Punk in particular.

I'm traveling to follow Radiohead later this year.

I'd travel to follow Led Zepp, Bjork, The Chemical Bros, Massive Attack, Squarepusher or Portishead.

Actually if I have the money and the show looks promising I'll try to make it happen. I like seeing shows out of town because of the different vibes.

I'd also travel to The Pearl LV to see almost any performer I like because that venue is AMAZING!

Sushov23
05-09-2008, 04:06 PM
PORTISHEAD, RHCP, THE STROKES, KOL, I would be at the shows within a 4 hour drive(Vegas, Phoenix, SD, LA, SB and such)
and i'm sorta doing it for radiohead. I would have done the LA, and SB dates but they fell on bad days for me

Blinken
05-09-2008, 04:15 PM
I would follow Portishead now. After the show my buddy told me that might be a good thing they are not touring because he would quit his job and follow them around with gigantic bag of shrooms.

amyzzz
05-09-2008, 05:00 PM
I think the most I've done for any band is 3 shows in a row. I've done that for NIN (Phx, LV, LA), Curve (Phx, 2 LA shows), and Catherine Wheel I think.

Once I saw Catherine Wheel in Phoenix, San Francisco, and Houston. I had tickets for the Phoenix date, I begged the band to put me on the guest list for the SF date, and the Houston date was a free concert. I drove to all of those shows and had barely any money (or any sleep).

I can't really afford to do it anymore, but I would be sorely tempted to do it if Portishead tours next year.

BlackSwan
05-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Portishead are evil. Almost as bad as The Knife.

Sushov23
05-09-2008, 05:12 PM
if by evil you mean they make your head explode, and it takes a week to recover from it, then sure, they are evil.

BlackSwan
05-09-2008, 05:15 PM
if by evil you mean they make your head explode, and it takes a week to recover from it, then sure, they are evil.

i mean evil in the terms of the fact that they release amazing music and then refuse to tour and then hint that they may not make music ever again.

EVIL!

BrettShipes
05-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Jane's Addiction was the reason I went to Coachella the first time. I also caught their show in SB a few nights before...

And 2 Lollas in 03... and the Jimmy Kimmel show... and I was planning on taking the trip to Colorado for Lolla '04 but you know...

So not really a "tour" but I have traveled far to see them multiple times.

MarkO
05-09-2008, 05:18 PM
I would follow Portishead now. After the show my buddy told me that might be a good thing they are not touring because he would quit his job and follow them around with gigantic bag of shrooms.

They're touring in Europe.

Sushov23
05-09-2008, 05:18 PM
i mean evil in the terms of the fact that they release amazing music and then refuse to tour and then hint that they may not make music ever again.

EVIL!

i'm happy I saw them at coachella, so if they don't tour i can deal.

Sushov23
05-09-2008, 05:19 PM
OH, I do think they will tour the US, just not this year.

amyzzz
05-09-2008, 05:53 PM
I would totally go gay for Portishead.

suprefan
05-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Radiohead(duh) Thrice(shut up, when they are done Ill go to all I can) DP now, NIN, Ill think of a few more.

Currently

Radiohead - 7 times for 2008, 2 shows out of state.

PJandBompton
05-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Pearl Jam, Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco and that's it...

eudaemonia
05-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Meh... it wasn't intentional...mostly... but I saw Muse in less than a year 5 times: two where in different states (NY & TX), and one was in another country (Singapore).

LiveItOut
05-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Neutral Milk Hotel if ever...
Modest Mouse back in the day.

goodgrl
05-10-2008, 12:04 AM
Done it for Bjork and on last minute whims we caught
Underworld in NYC and Ultra. We'll try for Vfest but funds
are running low. Sad. For anyone who cares, I really recommend
trying to catch Underworld this summer!
Would prob. do it for Massive Attack if they ever decide to come
out of hiding.

HunterGather
05-10-2008, 12:24 AM
Well massive is doing a bunch of european and a few solo gigs in Europe this summer. Hopefully they make it down here by years end. I'll be all over that shit!

Sounds like most of you have had a good time one time or another following peoples around. :)

woogie846
05-10-2008, 12:33 AM
Jupiter's Rings.

paulb
05-10-2008, 12:40 AM
Well, Radiohead, im a big fan...not nutty like Supre... but I wanna make sure I see them as many times as possible...so 3 is a good start....

Beastie Boys are the only band that I REALLY travel and go out of my way to see...Ive seen them 16+ times all across the lands, Vancouver, New York City, Seattle, Vegas, LA, San Fran, Santa Barbara, Berkeley, Paris, Germany, Quincy....

If The Prodigy release tour dates here, ill try to hit up as many as possible... its really fun doing all these outings...sure its costly...but the memories and times had are well worth it...

Im a big Bad Religion fan aswell... but I havent had as many opportunities to catch them... Ive seen them twice in Vancouver, twice in Anaheim and in LA and soon to be Irvine...

gaypalmsprings
05-10-2008, 08:13 AM
I would totally go gay for Portishead.

Does Tessa know?

gaypalmsprings
05-10-2008, 08:17 AM
Jupiter's Rings.

http://a637.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/126/l_ef1e852b72bf7411d8a72e8ca45b88b4.jpg

dubvulture
05-10-2008, 08:30 AM
I flew all over for the Strokes (12 shows), but they're not really worth that effort to me anymore. I'd only travel great distances multiple times for Oasis, The Smiths, Pulp, and Daft Punk.

idrive1life
05-10-2008, 09:46 AM
Muse - 7 shows in 5 states plus 2 shows in London, England (and Muse sing-along with Muse fans @ Trafalgar Square London hehheh) last year.

Got tix to Muse for 8/13 Marlay Park Dublin, Ireland show this year. I will also try to get to their 8/16 headlining V-Fest show (I have no tix on that one).

Currently 2 states, 3 shows for Radiohead.

frozen pilgrim
05-10-2008, 10:43 AM
I'm going to england for a halloween night shpongle concert-
their first EVER live show outside of two semi-private test shows years ago in japan.

anyone with half a brain should be following me out there.
the roundhouse only fits <2000, and it's acclaimed for its impeccable sightlines and perfect acoustics.
tickets are 25 pounds.

stinkbutt
05-10-2008, 10:45 AM
These guys

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/article/?id=48214

paulb
05-10-2008, 01:17 PM
These guys

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/article/?id=48214

ah yes, me too... Ive only seen them once, but once dates pop up, Im there... Europe it is.

sbessiso
05-10-2008, 01:20 PM
I second this, see you there Paulb

the white stripes, and if a tour is announced, the floating head that is my avatar

paulb
05-10-2008, 01:23 PM
you should have done that White Stripes Canada tour, where they did secret shows in each city...that would have been cool.

sbessiso
05-10-2008, 01:29 PM
aw man I know, when they played on that public bus, talk about awesome. but i've never ever been to Canada, or even thought about beginning to think about going

Astrid
05-10-2008, 03:52 PM
my post graduation plan is to travel around following whatever band suits my fancy at the time....

i would trek incredibly long distances for: radiohead, daft punk, david bowie, portishead, the white stripes...a lot of people probably

but i think everyone is forgetting how much fun it would be to follow around a smaller band, once you start attending all their shows they will remember you, than your chill with the band, and then woah all of sudden im fucking devendra banhart. groovy. dan le sac v. scroob, cocorosie, man man, among others, would be so fun to be their number one biggest fan.

TheWatcher
05-10-2008, 05:46 PM
I have never really had the desire to follow a band. But, I have taken my daughter to multiple shows for a few bands that very rarely tour in the US:

Dir en grey
Mucc/D'espairs Ray/the Underneath (Tast of Chaos)

This week:
Miyavi

MissingPerson
05-10-2008, 06:01 PM
My country's not really big enough to do a proper tour, everywhere is concievably within driving distance. :D

I've flown abroad for Arcade Fire. I know quite a few people who'd do the same, so it doesn't sound like such a ridiculous prospect until you bounce it off rational people. It was worth it too. Only for them though, and only with friends. Being Billy-no-mates at Arcade Fire must be the most tragic experience on earth.

sbessiso
05-11-2008, 03:45 AM
agreed with astrid, my friend and I have been to 6 or 7 Electric 6 shows, they always play these small ass clubs and are always a blast, whenever they announce an orlando show, we're so there

fatbastard
05-11-2008, 06:27 PM
OK, here it goes.

David Bowie

Roxy Music

Brian Ferry

Talking Heads

U2

The Verve

Cocteau Twins

Goldfrapp

Everything But The Girl

chiapet
05-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Oooh EBtG. I would love for them to do something again. Tracey's solo stuff is.... eh.

Cdubby
05-11-2008, 06:45 PM
if i had the funds, at this time in my life-

radiohead
the breeders (anything with kim deal really)
MBV
primus

sassypants
05-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Just curious about some of the peoples here.

What bands/artists do you or would you tour for?
As in, trek across the lands to see multiple shows.

Some friends of mine practically do almost every U.S. Tori Amos show (in the past, they have done Europe too).

I'm not an "every show" fanatic like some, but I stopped counting my Tori shows after 50... which was sometime back in 2001. I've traveled only in US and Canada, but I will be going to London when/if she finishes the musical.

slurpee
05-12-2008, 11:53 AM
I followed phish around at different times for different summers. That was...interesting.

I have traveled a bit for Radiohead and LCD Soundsystem.

I would tour with LCD Soundsytem. That would be awesomely fun.

I think the best option these days is to hit as many big festivals as possible.

mountmccabe
05-12-2008, 12:17 PM
April 2002 I drove to San Diego to see Spiritualized/BRMC and then drove back and saw them in Tempe. This was because the San Diego date went on sale before the Tempe one was announced.

In 2002 I saw the Get-Up Kids on May 28th at the (then) Cajun House in Scottsdale and then the next day the White Stripes (opening for Garbage) at Mesa Amp and then at then decided to drive to LA that weekend to see them both again.

In 2003 I flew up to Seattle (saw various other bands) and then drove to Vancouver to see Radiohead/Malkmus and then drove back down for the show near Seattle. They didn't play Phoenix.

Also one of those various other bands was the Dandy Warhols in Portland on a Thursday; I had just seen them the previous Sunday in LA as part of Sunset Junction. I am not sure that counts. Also seeing Earlimart in Phoenix on a Thursday and then seeing them at the at Sunset Junction gig probably doesn't quite count.

Beyond those instances (and half-instances) I can't say I've toured to see a band. Also none of those are more than two shows so that's hardly a tour.

I'd certainly travel to see some bands but I don't know that there are any that I'd feel the need to tour with. Hmm. I will think.