PDA

View Full Version : wal-mart or something?

in rage we trust
02-03-2007, 07:46 AM
hey is there a walmart or something like it close to Coachella, WITHIN walking distance? im gonna be walking everywhere, and i want to buy a tent there, instead of bringing one....can somebody help me??

amyzzz
02-03-2007, 08:02 AM
Aren't there just houses within walking distance?

I know there is a Wal-Mart in Palm Springs, but that's approximately 20 miles away. :(

Alchemy
02-03-2007, 08:24 AM
Yeah, Coachella is surrounded by a bunch of houses. You might be in for some long walks if you decide to do that.

york707
02-03-2007, 08:38 AM
I LOVE TO RAGE AT WAL-MARTS!!!! Fuck the system.

skavenbrew
02-03-2007, 09:04 AM
There's plenty of grocery store, rite-aid, wal mart type stores, but you won't want to be walking there. Getting a ride is easy though, i brought people with me every run i made the past few years.

amyzzz
02-03-2007, 09:45 AM
I've got a mini-van that seats 6. Maybe I'll try doing that too.

wmgaretjax
02-03-2007, 09:47 AM
there is something paradoxical about being a rage fan and seeking out a walmart...

John Peel is My Co-pilot
02-03-2007, 09:57 AM
there is something paradoxical about being a rage fan and seeking out a walmart...

Not if you are planning to stir up revolutionary thoughts amongst the minimum wage slaves.
FREEDOM BROTHERS!!!!

Courtney
02-03-2007, 10:44 AM

Hahahahaaha.

Courtney
02-03-2007, 10:49 AM
I just checked Google Maps.

Closest Ralph's is 1.9 miles away on Jefferson. Wal-Mart is 3.2 miles away on Highway 111.

DeltaSigChi4
02-03-2007, 11:01 AM
I don't shop at Walmart. Unlivable wages for their associates means I'll never spend a penny there.

E

woogie846
02-03-2007, 11:05 AM
I don't even think I've ever been inside a Walmart.

I remember seeing a Walmart and maybe a Costco on the drive up last year.

amyzzz
02-03-2007, 11:08 AM
I don't shop at Walmart. Unlivable wages for their associates means I'll never spend a penny there.

E
Yeah, I try not to shop there either. They're anti-union. When a group of employees try to form a union at a store, Wal-Mart just closes that store.

....but sometimes my husband drags me there.

We used the Wal-Mart in Palm Springs after Coachella last year because we needed to pee.

Britt
02-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Closest Ralph's is 1.9 miles away on Jefferson. Wal-Mart is 3.2 miles away on Highway 111.
I have no idea why Ralph's has the reputation of being California's "slummy" grocery store. I went to that exact one and was impressed. Great fruit trays and natural smoothies, prepackaged sandwiches, reasonably priced alcohol...

psychic friend
02-03-2007, 11:44 AM

wow, someone who actually thought to use a map. kudo's! i knew i was not alone.

Courtney
02-03-2007, 11:52 AM
wow, someone who actually thought to use a map. kudo's! i knew i was not alone.

Yeah, it's funny, there are these helpful little things with lines and writing on them that help you find directions to places you want to go.

But shhhh... it's a secret! Don't let the word get out!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-03-2007, 11:58 AM
They is a wal greens I think on the way into the venue but it is like a 2 mile walk...

Adam2uBer
02-03-2007, 01:23 PM
hey is there a walmart or something like it close to Coachella, WITHIN walking distance? im gonna be walking everywhere, and i want to buy a tent there, instead of bringing one....can somebody help me??
Go down Jefferson (going towards the I-10 Freeway, so pretty much going back where you came from) then take a left ONTO Highway 111 (there's a Home Depot at that corner). Two or three more streets down..there will be a Wal Mart Supercenter. It's open 24/7. If you're walking...I'm estimating it'll take about 2 hours. I just drove by the Polo Grounds back to my house and it took me about 5 minutes to get from the Polo Grounds to Highway 111.
Hope this helps. ;D

fasttrack
02-06-2007, 10:16 AM
when did indio get a walmart? all i've ever seen there was a k-mart.

elChurro
02-06-2007, 10:23 AM
theres a super wal-mart in la quinta (about 3 miles away) as well as target/best buy/petco/costco/wallgreens/bofa/chevron/trader joes/restuarants etc.... allot has sprouted out here since coachella 06, but the area around the polo fields is mainly residential.

fasttrack
02-06-2007, 07:19 PM
it seems like that place is growing fast. i would imagine that a lot of the money for that city comes from the festival.

woogie846
02-06-2007, 07:59 PM
it seems like that place is growing fast. i would imagine that a lot of the money for that city comes from the festival.

They also have really big horse and dog shows all year round which I'm sure are good for business, too.

suprefan
02-06-2007, 08:49 PM
F**k Wal Mart.......

dekr510
02-06-2007, 09:57 PM
They is a wal greens I think on the way into the venue but it is like a 2 mile walk...

I dont think they sell tents at wal greens.

dekr510
02-06-2007, 09:59 PM
I have no idea why Ralph's has the reputation of being California's "slummy" grocery store. I went to that exact one and was impressed. Great fruit trays and natural smoothies, prepackaged sandwiches, reasonably priced alcohol...

I dunno why the reputation but they closed all the ones we had up here in Sacramento...

E-rock
02-06-2007, 10:02 PM
I don't even think I've ever been inside a Walmart.

Are we having a Paris Hilton moment?
Lol.
Walmarts suck. Shop Target (like its any better).

dekr510
02-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Are we having a Paris Hilton moment?
Lol.
Walmarts suck. Shop Target (like its any better).

Target is better, I rather shop there any day then wal mart!

SojuGorae
02-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Wish I had money to buy real estate up there.

dekr510
02-06-2007, 10:23 PM
up where?

instinct
02-07-2007, 01:36 AM

haha.. i was thinking the same thing..

vinylmartyr
02-07-2007, 01:39 AM
mmmmmm

vinylmartyr
02-07-2007, 01:39 AM
mmmmmmmmmm

smilingdownward
02-07-2007, 09:16 AM

E

Yeah, I try not to shop there either. They're anti-union. When a group of employees try to form a union at a store, Wal-Mart just closes that store.

hahaha,
true, but stupid socially retarded ppl need to work too!:thu

i sware more than half the ppl that work there couldnt work many other places.
they hire ppl that dont/cant think for themselves. but i still love shopping there.

GTI_GRL
02-07-2007, 04:26 PM

E

I work for Walmart and I make $17 an hour, not including 401k, profit sharing, incentive checks ($450-500 a qtr), holiday bonuses ($100), paid holidays, 3 weeks vacation every year, etc.... I am a regular associate, and starting pay is $13. I hate to break it to you, but your ill informed.

GTI_GRL
02-07-2007, 04:36 PM
hahaha,
true, but stupid socially retarded ppl need to work too!:thu

i sware more than half the ppl that work there couldnt work many other places.
they hire ppl that dont/cant think for themselves. but i still love shopping there.

Not really son, but there is a spot for you at the door.

hawkingvsreeve
02-07-2007, 05:17 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/hawkingvsreeve/jeans.jpg

smilingdownward
02-08-2007, 10:31 AM
Not really son, but there is a spot for you at the door.
I'm a girl thank you, and already had that job when i broke my foot and couldnt work in the pharmacy. been there done that, but come on you have to admit most of the ppl that work there couldnt get hired anywhere else.

GTI_GRL
02-08-2007, 05:38 PM
I'm a girl thank you, and already had that job when i broke my foot and couldnt work in the pharmacy. been there done that, but come on you have to admit most of the ppl that work there couldnt get hired anywhere else.

ok daughter, it depends on where. Some wm are better than targets, others are far below. I would rather work at wm than at a fast food joint. I dont see many people complain about there wages, and refusing to eat there.

DeltaSigChi4
02-08-2007, 06:14 PM
I work for Walmart and I make $17 an hour, not including 401k, profit sharing, incentive checks ($450-500 a qtr), holiday bonuses ($100), paid holidays, 3 weeks vacation every year, etc.... I am a regular associate, and starting pay is $13. I hate to break it to you, but your ill informed.

Post images of your pay stubs or shut the fuck up.

Here is a small list of ILLEGAL practices that WalMart engages/has engaged in -

Lock-in practice (http://reclaimdemocracy.org/walmart/workers_locked_in.html)

Sex Discrimination Lawsuit -- largest in U.S. history (http://reclaimdemocracy.org/articles_2004/walmart_class_action_proceeds.html)

Child Labor (http://reclaimdemocracy.org/walmart/child_labor_law_fine_2005.php)

Labor Law Violations GALORE (http://reclaimdemocracy.org/walmart/bush_administration_kid_gloves.php)

Inspector Fired .... well, for inspecting too well (http://reclaimdemocracy.org/walmart/factory_inspector_fired.php)

Killing in the Name of ... (http://reclaimdemocracy.org/walmart/shoplifter_dead_parkinglot.php)

Denying lunch breaks in the Name of ... (http://reclaimdemocracy.org/walmart/2005/california_fines_lunch_breaks.php)

Sweat Factory Inspection Scam (http://reclaimdemocracy.org/walmart/2005/jim_lynn_executive_whistleblower.php)

all in the name of profit. Profit for the ultra-rich that are already ultra-rich. They've failed to pay overtime to associates, fired individuals for trying to begin unions, closed/moved stores that were on the verge of being unionized, and have you ever taken a glance at the bulletin board? OVER 50 recalls from items that are exclusive to WalMart. Most of them children's toys filled with deadly lead and likewise. Who cares how many children are killed by their 2$ toys as long as they make the profit from pushing 5cent products for 2$ on the masses.

E

NeverMyopic
02-08-2007, 08:17 PM

Personally I very much hate Wal-Mart,but if that's where you want to go, that's your choice. But there is a super nice Target, I believe, in La Quinta, which is between Palm Springs and Indio, but closer to Indio. Actually there is a Wal-Mart a few blocks away as well. You could bus it or cab it, if you didn't want to walk.

apachedino
02-09-2007, 09:19 PM
F**k Wal Mart.......

I agree Fuck Wal-Mart

vinylmartyr
02-09-2007, 09:55 PM
I'm not fucking wal-mart.

GTI_GRL
02-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Post images of your pay stubs or shut the fuck up.

Here is a small list of ILLEGAL practices that WalMart engages/has engaged in -

Lock-in practice (http://reclaimdemocracy.org/walmart/workers_locked_in.html)

Sex Discrimination Lawsuit -- largest in U.S. history (http://reclaimdemocracy.org/articles_2004/walmart_class_action_proceeds.html)

Child Labor (http://reclaimdemocracy.org/walmart/child_labor_law_fine_2005.php)

Labor Law Violations GALORE (http://reclaimdemocracy.org/walmart/bush_administration_kid_gloves.php)

Inspector Fired .... well, for inspecting too well (http://reclaimdemocracy.org/walmart/factory_inspector_fired.php)

Killing in the Name of ... (http://reclaimdemocracy.org/walmart/shoplifter_dead_parkinglot.php)

Denying lunch breaks in the Name of ... (http://reclaimdemocracy.org/walmart/2005/california_fines_lunch_breaks.php)

Sweat Factory Inspection Scam (http://reclaimdemocracy.org/walmart/2005/jim_lynn_executive_whistleblower.php)

all in the name of profit. Profit for the ultra-rich that are already ultra-rich. They've failed to pay overtime to associates, fired individuals for trying to begin unions, closed/moved stores that were on the verge of being unionized, and have you ever taken a glance at the bulletin board? OVER 50 recalls from items that are exclusive to WalMart. Most of them children's toys filled with deadly lead and likewise. Who cares how many children are killed by their 2$ toys as long as they make the profit from pushing 5cent products for 2$ on the masses.

E

Target recalls just as many toys, what about the recalls on the happy meal toys?? Just because wm has a bulletin board showing what has been recalled, why is that an issue? HELLO!!! They are looking out for the customers. The Fisher Price kids plastic work sation that has the little hammer, screws, etc... was recalled. WM pulled it from there shelves and put out a warming, online, at the front of the store, and also where it was on the self. Three months after WM did the recall, target still had that product on the shelf. WM buys toys that they believe children will like, or that are popular. It is the manufactures who create unsafe products, it is not until they have been sold to the masses, that small issues appear. I hate to break it to you, but there is lead in toys found at any store (and candy), WM decided to pull it once it was found, other do not do this.

Also $.05 toy being sold for $2, not likely. I see the cost price and the retail price. Most of the time the mark up is only a few cents maybe $.75. The reason WM is profitable, is due to the amount of product sold at a low price (small mark up). If the mark up was huge, a few dollars or such, less product would move, and that would result in less profit. I am not saying that some items do not have a larger mark up, but its really not that much. TV's have $10-20, CD/DVD/video game are usually sold at a loss. The PS3, ipod, Wii, and 360 are also all sold at a loss. So do you want WM to charge more? Should that be an issue?

The reason WM is so profitable is that they run a very tight logistics and keep those cost low. Other companys have not perfected this and lose money on damages, sending the wrong item, over buying etc....

Is it really that important that you see my pay stub? Just because, you believe that everyone is making low wages isn't true. I don't see why it is an issue that WM is anti union, I would rather not have money taken out of every check for union dues without an option to not have it taken out.

metalphenidate
02-11-2007, 12:55 AM
as a wal-mart employee i feel obliged to post something. i'm not pro-walmart by any means and don't tend to defend it often, but i can't stand it when people give me shit for working there. i personally would rather support canadian franchises or independent businesses, but maybe i am unbiased because of my line of work. sure walmart is out there for profits but the "customer" who gets their meds filled at my department are just as sick as the ones who go to other pharmacies. and maybe we can save them a few bucks too.

GTI_GRL
02-13-2007, 07:14 PM
metalphenidate

Same here

boarderwoozel3
02-13-2007, 08:41 PM
Wal-Mart owned by a bunch of right-winged assholes who don't give their employees benefits. Rage would burn every Wal-Mart to the ground if they could and quite frankly I agree.

GTI_GRL
02-14-2007, 01:59 AM
Wal-Mart owned by a bunch of right-winged assholes who don't give their employees benefits. Rage would burn every Wal-Mart to the ground if they could and quite frankly I agree.

401k, profit sharing, incentive checks ($450-500 a qtr), holiday bonuses ($100), paid holidays, 3 weeks vacation every year, etc.

Zipkoppie
02-14-2007, 02:57 AM
CD/DVD/video game are usually sold at a loss. The PS3, ipod, Wii, and 360 are also all sold at a loss.

Come now, do you honestly expect us to believe that? What business would stock and go to the effort of selling something at a loss?

No business is run like that, and I seriously doubt your statement is true. Surely if this was the case, they would rather not stock the product.

Zipkoppie
02-14-2007, 03:01 AM
double post

cuchulainn
02-14-2007, 03:35 AM
speaking of consumer bullshit, does anyone else hate valentines day?? (and its not just because im the best looking guy in my cell block).

if we didnt have valentines day coachella would be one day closer!! damn, id skip easter to this year!!

GTI_GRL
02-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Come now, do you honestly expect us to believe that? What business would stock and go to the effort of selling something at a loss?

No business is run like that, and I seriously doubt your statement is true. Surely if this was the case, they would rather not stock the product.

I hate to break it to you, but that is how it's done. Why do you think that wm has cds for $8.88 and best buy has them for $14+? The reason certain items are sold at a loss, is in the hope that you will pick up other items. Thats why during back to school time you can get binders/pens/markers/etc.. for $.10/$.15/$.25, all of those items are being sold at a huge loss. Retailers are hoping that you will pick up some back to school clothes, shoes, backpack, snacks, etc... and then it is worth taking a loss on a few products. Another time for taking a loss is on black friday aka the day after thanksgiving. WM had RCA big screen TVs for $500, around a$150 loss. There were also plasma and lcd tvs sold at a huge loss as well. But like all retailers, they are betting on consumers filling up their cart full of toys etc... The reason the item is stocked and sold at a loss is to get people in the door. This is how big business works, and its common knowledge.

Think about Ozzfest being free, that means people will have more money to spend within the event. So not only did companys pay for all of the costs of putting on the event, but they will make more money off merch, food, bev, etc....

Mctommy
02-14-2007, 07:42 PM
Selling cds for $8.88 is not at a loss. Everyone and their mother in that chain makes money... yes EVEN walmart.

The fact that stores are selling stuff on Black Friday at a loss is ALSO REDUNDANT... they all do it, and they all make up their money from the influx of customers walking through their stores that day. On top of it, it gives them a chance to preview the stuff that they will have for their best season of the year, XMAS!!!

Also, selling console at a loss is not Walmart's ideas. Besides antitrust laws & anti price fixing laws, all of those prices are MSRP. Although walmart could sell those console for less than the competitors on the release day (egg: PS3 for less than $599), it WILL NOT DO IT. Why? Because, they will fear backlash from Sony for tanking their price point.

Most consoles that are released during their first generation of production are 99% of the time sold at a lost!!! Why? because at that point in time, manufacturing cost and development cost are still high and therefore what they are selling you (eg: console for $600 when it probably cost them $1000 to produce at that pt in time) at a loss AT THAT TIME. Even then, they will make up most of their money by selling games/softwares. Only after time that the manufacturing cost will decrease (newer technology = old technology cheaper) and the consoles will actually be sold for profits.

GTI_GRL
02-15-2007, 12:35 AM
I never said wm was the first one to do that, and I believe you just said the same thing I did.

elChurro
02-15-2007, 08:16 AM
wow, all this for a tent? buy a sleeping bag instead and sleep under the stars.

JinaZ
02-18-2007, 05:51 PM

I saw on the website under the onsite camping FAQ liknks it said that at the store( at the camping site) they sold tents... I'm not sure how good of a tent it is but it's a tent...