PDA

View Full Version : burma cyclone kills upwards of 100,000 people

unitedwestand
05-07-2008, 09:57 AM
go to cnn.com for this morning, front page
over 100,000 people killed from a cyclone that hit last weekend in Burma (northeast of India???)
death told exceeds over 4 times the estimated amount a few days ago of 22,000 people
cyclone hit with over 150mph winds and massive flooding

this might be just as intense as the 2004 tsunami, fuck 100,000 people is alot of bodies

marooko
05-07-2008, 10:00 AM
divided they fell.

whynotsmile99
05-07-2008, 10:08 AM
yes, thanks for posting this. Was going to do the same but got caught up.

It's truly awful. This is the first time I'm hearing the 100,000 toll which is astronomical. Just yesterday it was 10,000.

My heart certainly goes out to the people in Myanmar.

When I backpacked South East Asia last year, we did not head there as the Junta had just begun cracking down before my friend and I left. I would love to go back sometime. Despite the Junta's regime it's supposed to be an amazingly beautiful place. I've talked to many people who have said Myanmar was a highlight on their trip.

I met many Burmese refugees in Thailand and they were the nicest people you could hope to meet.

Last I have heard the Junta is allowing foreign medical aid which is a relief, but who knows whats happening with that or if they are really allowing it. I heard they didn't even warn their own citizens of the cyclone.

Like I said, my heart goes out to everyone affected. I wish there was something I could do.

TomAz
05-07-2008, 10:09 AM
meanwhile the Myanmar government (military dictatorship) is not letting aid in.

CNN's Dan Rivers, the first Western journalist into the devastated town of Bogalay, said Wednesday that it was difficult to find the words to describe the level of destruction. Watch Rivers' report from Bogalay

"Ninety percent of the houses have been flattened... the help that these people are getting seems to be pretty much nonexistent from what we've seen."

He saw members of Myanmar's army clearing roads, but handing out little food or medicine.

"There has been scant help, really. I think we saw one or two Red Cross vehicles in the entire time we were driving," Rivers said of his travels over a 12-hour period. Learn more about Myanmar

Hundreds of World Vision staff are already in Myanmar with limited supplies, according to Bangkok spokesman James East.

Tons of supplies have been readied in Dubai and can be brought in quickly once clearance is given.

"Even when aid comes in, it's going to be a logistical nightmare to get it out to the remote delta region," East said.

However, Yangon is almost back to normal, World Vision health adviser Dr. Kyi Minn said. Roads have been cleared of debris, and electricity and potable water are available.

The Myanmar Red Cross has been handing out relief supplies, such as clean drinking water, plastic sheeting, clothing, insecticide-treated bed nets to help prevent malaria, and kitchen items, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies said. Watch the cyclone's destruction

The United States has pledged $3.25 million and offered to send Navy ships to the region to help relief efforts -- if Myanmar's government agrees.

The U.S. military has flown six cargo helicopters onto a Thai airbase, as Washington awaits permission to go into the south Asian country, two senior military officials told CNN's Barbara Starr.

chairmenmeow47
05-07-2008, 10:09 AM
npr said this morning that a section of the country was still completely under water, that is NUTS! :(

luckyface
05-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Seriously, what a terrible situation. Was the government at fault for not evacuating/alerting the population? Or did the citizens decide to wait it out?

marooko
05-07-2008, 10:20 AM
HEARD IT WAS THE GOV.'S FAULT.

SFChrissy
05-07-2008, 10:22 AM
I just got chills reading this...

whynotsmile99
05-07-2008, 10:33 AM
so sad to hear. I could have sworn I heard something about them agreeing to let some foreign Aid in.

what is really awful is how this country will most likely not recover from this. International aid and strong assistance from Thailand greatly helped stop the spread of diseases after the 2004 Tusanmi. I saw literally no signs of the Tsunami in my 2 month in Asia. my friend who went to Indonesia where I did not go, saw some signs of destruction, but overrall the help given to the disaster greatly helped curbed what could have killed hundreds of thousands more and pump up the economy by making sure tourists came back to the area. Everyone in the countries applauded the work done

The Junta doesn't want the world to think it can't take care of its own people. THey live in their own bubble they don't realize everyone can see in. It's bizzare.

New Orleans still seems fucked.

Myanmar is only going to get worse, thats a sure bet

theburiedlife
05-07-2008, 11:03 AM
The Junta unfortunately doesn't need foreign aid, what they need is a momentous military compound to barricade themselves in after this whole tragedy has passed.

Mr.Nipples
05-07-2008, 09:41 PM
BrtaMTYBU-A&hl=en