PDA

View Full Version : This article cheesed me off

Ardentbiscuit
05-06-2008, 03:42 PM
BEST FESTIVAL
Bonnaroo

Coachella might have Cameron Diaz in the VIP tent, and Lollapalooza might draw more fans, but Bonnaroo — where 80,000 congregate each summer in the wilds of Manchester, Tennessee — is the ultimate over-the-top summer festival. (The seventh edition kicks off June 12th, with Metallica, Pearl Jam and Jack Johnson.) From the freewheeling camping area — where you can buy everything from moonshine to mescaline — to legendary sets by everyone from Wilco to Ornette Coleman, Bonnaroo is super-fan-friendly. And artists love it too. "We've played at noon — that was hot and crazy and scary — and we've played on Sunday, when everyone was fried from partying," says My Morning Jacket frontman Jim James. Last year, Phil Lesh camped out in his RV, and this year, the Kings of Leon will drive down from Nashville even though they're not on the bill. "We make it a point to go down there with a whole posse of friends," says James, whose band will play a late-night set following Metallica and Chris Rock. If that trio doesn't sell you on Bonnaroo, listen to Wayne Coyne of the Flaming Lips: "I like Coachella and Lollapalooza, but as far as the magnitude and the weirdness, Bonnaroo is the one." AUSTIN SCAGGS

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/20200609/page/23

paulb
05-06-2008, 03:44 PM
I gotta go to Bonnaroo one day...

Westy
05-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Rolling Stone sucks. I don't pay attention to anything they say.

amyzzz
05-06-2008, 03:47 PM
I should've gone Radiohead year, but we didn't save up for it and didn't go. I would've also like to have seen Dungen and Blackalicious that year.

whynotsmile99
05-06-2008, 03:50 PM
next year, i swears it.

is wayne right that Bonaroo is a lot "weirder" than Coachella?

I look around sometimes and think Coachella is a might strange place. in all the best ways of course

canexplain
05-06-2008, 03:56 PM
been to a number of bonnaroos and while great, it is just different from coachella .... you have to be a bit stronger and have more mettle to do the roo then coachella, thats all ... i am guessing our brit friends thinks of the roo like i think of coachella when it come to be tuff enough at a fest to survive with the festivals they have .... x****
like i posted a long time ago

coachella=disneyland
bonnaroo=bataan death march

stinkbutt
05-06-2008, 03:56 PM
is wayne right that Bonaroo is a lot "weirder" than Coachella?

They're just different Coachella you get the weirdness of the Sahara and Bonnaroo you get people who don't sleep for the entire week. If you want to party at a festival Bonnaroo is a good fest, if you want good music nothing beats Coachella, and Lolla is just awesome cause it's good music in one of the greatest cities in the world.

canexplain
05-06-2008, 03:58 PM
They're just different Coachella you get the weirdness of the Sahara and Bonnaroo you get people who don't sleep for the entire week. If you want to party at a festival Bonnaroo is a good fest, if you want good music nothing beats Coachella, and Lolla is just awesome cause it's good music in one of the greatest cities in the world.

what !! they moved Lolla? :) x****

MarkO
05-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Yeah, I was what ?? Lolla is in NYC ?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-06-2008, 04:00 PM
rolling stone is a terrible magazine...

stinkbutt
05-06-2008, 04:26 PM
what !! they moved Lolla? :) x****

Yeah, I was what ?? Lolla is in NYC ?

Chicago is an awesome town if you've never been, it's all just opinion though.

Sexecutioner
05-06-2008, 04:26 PM
id really love to check out bonarroo one year, but i hate the fuckin south, and dont really want to go there. still though, at least once just for the experience. like amy said, i think they year radiohead played would have been awesome, i think tom petty was there too?

also, "cheesed me off" has got to be the lamest saying i have ever heard. please never say it again.

PassiveTheory
05-06-2008, 04:27 PM
That's also the same issue that gave Madonna and fucking MUDCRUTCH (sorry Tom Petty fans, but get real) 4 stars while only giving Portishead's Third 3 and a half (with no explanation).

Sushov23
05-06-2008, 04:28 PM
I like Rolling Stone, but I can't really say I disagree or agree with their assessment. I need to attend Bonnaroo first.

PrettyRagdoll
05-06-2008, 04:34 PM
The Roo and Coachella have completely different vibes! It's like comparing LA and New York city. Both are huge, live cities. But both have completely different beats. RS is quickly losing credibility in it's music judgements

billyboyblue
05-06-2008, 04:37 PM
I wouldn't be cheesed off by this article anymore than the grammy awards list.
Never been to Bonaroo but have heard great things.

But anyway cheers to backin up coachella :)

Sushov23
05-06-2008, 04:40 PM
ONE thing is you never look, or read reviews on a RECORD from ANY magazine. Make up your OWN damn mind about what you think of it. That is what one guy/girl thought about it, and that is that.

MarkO
05-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Chicago is an awesome town if you've never been, it's all just opinion though.

My plans at this time are to skip Coachella next year and go to Lolla instead and take in a little of the town. Depends on the baseball schedule around Lolla. If the Cubs aren't at home, all bets are off.

zikade
05-06-2008, 04:47 PM
I've been to both. Roo's not at all "weirder" it's just different. COMPLETELY different feel. Roo's set times are much better than Coach's, but I still prefer Coach just because Roo doesn't have anything to really compare to the Sahara tent.

stinkbutt
05-06-2008, 04:49 PM
My plans at this time are to skip Coachella next year and go to Lolla instead and take in a little of the town. Depends on the baseball schedule around Lolla. If the Cubs aren't at home, all bets are off.

Well I wouldn't skip Coachella for the world, but Lolla is fun and Chicago is easily my favorite city in the states besides New York of course.

Sushov23
05-06-2008, 04:52 PM
NY=OVERRATED.

bmack86
05-06-2008, 04:58 PM

I'd say you'll regret this, seeing as it'll be the 10th anniversary of Coachella, and they'll probably pull out all the stops

Mr. Dylanja
05-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Been to both, I think the Roo is closer to a Woodstock vibe (even tho I've never been, ask Ron I guess) beeing more flowerchild/hippie/daytripper-esque whereas Coach is kinda new age hip SoCal/electro/indie style.

They're both great, but the one thing that I personally feel seperates them is the night shows! I think the majority of concert goers are night owls and how do you get any better than seeing a great act come on at 2am? Its just badass! Imagine the Sahara bumpin literally all night long...

Sushov23
05-06-2008, 05:04 PM
I hope coachella 09 kills, and that Bonnaroo 09 also kills as I plan on attending both next year. Maybe Bonnaroo can get the RHCP next summer, I would love that shit, and I don't care what any of you haters gotta say.

fatbastard
05-06-2008, 05:08 PM
I have no interest in that other festival.

woogie846
05-06-2008, 06:14 PM
One day I'll go to Bonnaroo.

luckyface
05-06-2008, 06:37 PM
I like Rolling Stone

Maybe I hang around music elitists too much, but you are literally the first person I have heard say this in literally 8-10 years.

Seriously, I don't know why people get so worked up when someone thinks another festival is better than Coachella. Who cares what one asshat at a has-been magazine thinks?

whynotsmile99
05-06-2008, 06:48 PM
rolling stone is still a fine magazine when you are on the pooper for more than 5 minutes. I've always enjoyed reading it, though it certainly isn't what it used to be. That said, the girls from The Hills are on the cover this current issue, which makes me very sad

Blender is actual a lot funnier of a magazine however

Westy
05-06-2008, 06:53 PM
The girls from The Hills were the best part of this issue.

Sonicifyouwantit
05-06-2008, 07:55 PM
I went to Bonnaroo last year for the Police and others of course. I had fun but its no coachella. It would take a lot for me to return.

TommyboyUNM
05-06-2008, 08:45 PM
I have no interest in that other festival.

I really don't understand this competition between Bonnaroo and Coachella. I was at Coachella last year and I had a blast. I'm going to Bonnaroo next month and I can't wait! I'm not loyal to the festival, I'm loyal to the music that's at the festival. I happened to like Coachella's lineup this year, but I couldn't find anyone to go with me. There are 2 other people going to Tennessee with me next month and I've never been to the Roo, so I chose that festival. Next year....I may do both. But, really, what's with the competition?

Sexecutioner
05-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Maybe I hang around music elitists too much, but you are literally the first person I have heard say this in literally 8-10 years.

hes also the first person who i have heard say that louis IV is their favorite band. hes also the first person who i have heard say that street scene last year kicked ass. my point: sushov has horrible taste, so his opinion doesnt count. no offense sushov. ;)

greghead
05-06-2008, 08:52 PM
The girls from The Hills were the best part of this issue.

Seriously, this issue blows dick. I look forward to getting my shit every two weeks, but was severely disappointed by this. Everything sucks: the cover story, the political story, the seedy/drama (usually involving sex, rape, murder, or drug use) story sucked, the interview with Santogold was weak sauce, as we were the music reviews. Rolling Stone, I think, has been getting better over the last few years, but after a run of great issues, they'll put out some garbage like this. I would rather them not have an issue if they can't find anything good to put in it.

Sexecutioner
05-06-2008, 08:53 PM
That said, the girls from The Hills are on the cover this current issue, which makes me very sad

dude, thats why i never even open rolling stones anymore. i can never get past the cover. all their cover pictures are so fuckin gay and have nothing to do with music, that i dont even bother with it. its like its not even a music mag anymore, its a mag for fuckin 13 year old chicks, and sushov.

suprefan
05-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Rolling Stone has never attended Glastonbury I imagine.

Sushov23
05-06-2008, 08:59 PM
hes also the first person who i have heard say that louis IV is their favorite band. hes also the first person who i have heard say that street scene last year kicked ass. my point: sushov has horrible taste, so his opinion doesnt count. no offense sushov. ;)

dude I never said Louis XIV was my fav. band. My fav bands are RHCP, The beatles, Radiohead, KOL, Arctic Monkeys, Muse, Bloc Party, amongst many others. Louis XIV are just a guilty pleasure type of band.

Look at my list, and you will find that TWO of my fav. bands played Street Scene last year, so of course I'm going to think it kicked ass, because MUSE, and Arctic Monkeys played, and I only paid 80, and got other bands I liked out of it also, and was CLOSE for all of them. So please, I don't have bad taste, you just don't read enough of my post, no offense or anything. I still love you and everyone on this board.
So because I like Rolling Stone I automatically lost cred? that is fucking retarted.

greghead
05-06-2008, 09:01 PM
That's also the same issue that gave Madonna and fucking MUDCRUTCH (sorry Tom Petty fans, but get real) 4 stars while only giving Portishead's Third 3 and a half (with no explanation).

That's because Mudcrutch is a solid album. Have you listened to it yet? I'm not a huge petty fan, and was extremely skeptical, but it is actually a really good album. If you don't dig on Gram Parsons, post-68 Byrds, or Little Feat, then Mudcrutch is not the album for you.

kimmaylynn
05-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Yeah, I don't get the competition. I think both fests have their pros and cons... this year I will have attended my first coachella and my first roo. I expect totally different vibes. I hope both fests continue to bring quality line ups and complement each other.

TommyboyUNM
05-06-2008, 09:07 PM
dude I never said Louis XIV was my fav. band. My fav bands are RHCP, The beatles, Radiohead, KOL, Arctic Monkeys, Muse, Bloc Party, amongst many others. Louis XIV are just a guilty pleasure type of band.

Look at my list, and you will find that TWO of my fav. bands played Street Scene last year, so of course I'm going to think it kicked ass, because MUSE, and Arctic Monkeys played, and I only paid 80, and got other bands I liked out of it also, and was CLOSE for all of them. So please, I don't have bad taste, you just don't read enough of my post, no offense or anything. I still love you and everyone on this board.
So because I like Rolling Stone I automatically lost cred? that is fucking retarted.

Street Scene last year did kick ass because of Muse. Even if I had to stand through Panic At The Disco. It was also great to see Arctic Monkeys, Bad Brains and Ozomatli. And I subscribe to Rolling Stone. Woops. There goes my cred, too.

orbit
05-06-2008, 09:11 PM
We have the Wall Street Journal

Three weeks ago, as if to acknowledge a spark was needed, Prince was added as the Saturday night headliner, boosting Coachella to an όber-event and confirming it as America's best rock festival. Though Prince is a veteran showman, he's such a dynamic and inventive musician, steeped in funk and the blues, his shows usually transcend era, especially when he flashes his considerable skills as a guitarist in front of his powerhouse band.

The addition of Prince thrilled several musicians on the Coachella bill. "I shrieked with joy when I heard," said Jim James of My Morning Jacket with a laugh when we spoke by phone before the festival began. "He's the best since James Brown."

John Dolmayan of System of a Down, who was showcasing his new duo, Scars on Broadway, with SOD guitarist Daron Malakian, told me, "I saw Prince 20 years ago, and I saw him recently in Las Vegas. I swear he's gotten better. He's one of my favorites."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120952764292255587.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Sushov23
05-06-2008, 09:11 PM
So yeah

Sushov23
05-06-2008, 09:15 PM
to bad prince wasn't everything it was supposed to be. OH SHIT because I'm stating my opinion I'm going to lose ever more cred right?

orbit
05-06-2008, 09:16 PM
no.

Sushov23
05-06-2008, 09:19 PM
It's nice to see I can still state my opinion on certain music things.

suprefan
05-06-2008, 09:20 PM
to bad prince wasn't everything it was supposed to be. OH SHIT because I'm stating my opinion I'm going to lose ever more cred right?

Yeah it was, you just fell asleep cause you wanted to hear everythign from Purple Rain and 1999, and since he didnt play all the ''hits'' you see it as a dissapointment.

Sushov23
05-06-2008, 09:23 PM
No, I actually know a lot of Prince material, I had cousins that grew up in the 80's and through the 90's listening to Prince, So I know his shit. I just thought it wasn't that great. Don't fucking tell me whether I liked a show or didn't because he did or did not do the "hits". I mean it's was a good show, but it wasn't what everyone is saying it was. I think people are more in love with the idea of having seen prince, and just saying it was "the greatest" because these people where there. Like a sense of entitlement.

luckyface
05-06-2008, 09:23 PM

You have to have cred in order to lose it.

I kid, I kid. Kind of.

Sushov23
05-06-2008, 09:25 PM
seriously when it comes to music there is no such thing as cred, because you like what you like, and that is that. Music should always be about that.

luckyface
05-06-2008, 09:28 PM
But magazines are a different story.

It's just fun ripping on you a little. You are a little more mainstream than these parts are used to.

Sushov23
05-06-2008, 09:29 PM
See that's the thing I'm not mainstream, or indie, or whatever the hell you wanna label me as. I just love music, and that is that.

EDIT-Please tell me how I'm more mainstream than people here?

luckyface
05-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Yes, and some of it is really bad, popular music.

Sushov23
05-06-2008, 09:31 PM
like who?

Goodtoknow
05-06-2008, 09:37 PM
wait...bonnaroo isn't til fucking june!

how can they make the comparison when it hasn't even happened yet.

ahhh!!!!

canexplain
05-06-2008, 09:40 PM
am i old school :) i say this over and over, until you can have in and out at coachella, it has a -5 in a big area ... ... . it changes the whole expierience sp ... you live bonnaroo, you enjoy "going" to coachella .. its kinda hard to explain ... like compairing woodstock and altmont lol ... as far as new music, coachella kicks every fests ass though ... as far as musicians, maybe the roo or waka is better for people that can just fucking play their ax or keyboard or violin better then anyone ... x*****

orbit
05-06-2008, 09:42 PM
why would you want in and out at Coachella? where would you go?

I don't even want to go to the portapotties when I'm there.

johnnypolite
05-06-2008, 09:43 PM
My buddy goes to every Bonnaroo but I can't convince him to check out Coachella and on the flipside, he can't convince me to check out Bonnaroo. Heh. Maybe next year will be the year.

jazzz
05-06-2008, 10:07 PM
I should've gone Radiohead year, but we didn't save up for it and didn't go. I would've also like to have seen Dungen and Blackalicious that year.

Love DUNGEN!

microcuts
05-06-2008, 10:38 PM
I really don't understand this competition between Bonnaroo and Coachella.

The competition is that Bonnaroo was a pointless piece of shit hippie jam band festival until Coachella started getting more and more popular, around 2004. Since then Bonnaroo has just been riding on Coachella's laurels, basically becoming a clone, revamping the lineups to be more indie and hip, etc. And now they're somehow getting all the credit for it, despite the fact that Coachella was the true innovator.

Sexecutioner
05-06-2008, 11:06 PM
See that's the thing I'm not mainstream, or indie, or whatever the hell you wanna label me as. I just love music, and that is that.

EDIT-Please tell me how I'm more mainstream than people here?

jesus dude, i was joking, you took this way too far. it does seem like you have similar taste to 13 yr old girls though sometimes, lol, but whatever, who gives a fuck.

i do swear i remember you saying that louis the XIV was your favorite band, but whatever...maybe im trippin...

and i just hate rolling stone. cant stand it. im sure they have some good pieces sometimes, but there is just so much crap mixed in. i like spin though, and a lot of people on here probably think that is lame and mainstream too.

Sexecutioner
05-06-2008, 11:08 PM
The competition is that Bonnaroo was a pointless piece of shit hippie jam band festival until Coachella started getting more and more popular, around 2004. Since then Bonnaroo has just been riding on Coachella's laurels, basically becoming a clone, revamping the lineups to be more indie and hip, etc. And now they're somehow getting all the credit for it, despite the fact that Coachella was the true innovator.

this is very accurate.

Sushov23
05-07-2008, 12:17 AM
jesus dude, i was joking, you took this way too far. it does seem like you have similar taste to 13 yr old girls though sometimes, lol, but whatever, who gives a fuck.

i do swear i remember you saying that louis the XIV was your favorite band, but whatever...maybe im trippin...

and i just hate rolling stone. cant stand it. im sure they have some good pieces sometimes, but there is just so much crap mixed in. i like spin though, and a lot of people on here probably think that is lame and mainstream too.

I just felt like arguing at that time, I needed to get some frustration out. I love this fucking board, we all have our musical taste, and I respect everyone's opinion you know? And no man you WHERE tripping when you thought I said Louis XIV was my fav. band. Do I like them? yes, but that is about where it ends. So yeah much love to everyone, and thanks for letting me vent.

stinkbutt
05-07-2008, 12:27 AM
as far as musicians, maybe the roo or waka is better for people that can just fucking play their ax or keyboard or violin better then anyone ... x*****

Not always the case, but the Roo usually has more Jam Bands which is a level of talent most musicians never get to or don't want to (sometimes it is for the better). This year is a easily the best to debunk this statement, I don't think anyone at the Roo this year will compare to Prince, Jack White, or Roger Waters imo.

greghead
05-07-2008, 01:22 AM
I was seriously tempted by the Roo this year. There are over three dozen bands I would love to see. They always have some great soul/r&b acts. Plus, MMJ is making a triumphant return after a couple years away. If "Rolling Thunder" pt. II happens, I am going to be kicking myself for missing it

emtgreg
05-07-2008, 10:41 AM
i have been tempted by the idea of the roo, but the problem is, i like my luxuries, and the roo, is definitely not very luxurious...

coachella has a definite LA vibe...

and like it or not, I am definitely comfortable with that....

70,000 stinky hippies?

i fucking LOVE radiohead, but im not sure i could enjoy them if i am overwhelmed by the smells of sweaty balls, ptouli, rotten hair & dreds and weed...

aynalehcar
05-07-2008, 11:21 AM
overwhelmed by the smells of sweaty balls, ptouli, rotten hair & dreds and weed...

that's really fucking judgmental.

I love coachella.
I love Bonnaroo.

it's not a competition guys, they all have awesome qualities.

MarkO
05-07-2008, 11:25 AM
I'd say you'll regret this, seeing as it'll be the 10th anniversary of Coachella, and they'll probably pull out all the stops

Maybe, maybe not. I have practically zero interest in 20% of the Coachella lineup each year (Sahara) and I'm getting tired of all the bs that comes with going to the desert.

picks up chair
05-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Obviously Bonnaroo gained MORE attention by getting more Coachella-like bands, but the festival still seems the same. Which is good, really, I wish I would've went when I lived nearby. I have to admit, I've had a secret hatred for Bonnaroo after 2006, me being a Coachella faithful. I have no great reason; I guess it just felt like my favorite holiday was getting its toes stepped on by someone else's and all I could do was be defensive. It's like competing Christmas with Hanukkah and everyone feels awkward because the Christians started lighting Menorahs. I'd go to Bonnaroo if there was a week-long drought of concerts near here, and all the bars suddenly closed. I'd probably go to Wakarusa before I went to Bonnaroo though, Lawrence is fun. The California of the Midwest.

Hawkings
05-07-2008, 06:58 PM
i thought i saw Cameron Diaz in main stage crowd, Friday i think, with like Shoulder length hair died really light like looking around happy to be seen. I wasn't sure and no body else mentioned anyone but the Hoff, so thought i was wrong.

rskapcat
05-07-2008, 07:39 PM
why would you want in and out at Coachella? where would you go?

I don't even want to go to the portapotties when I'm there.

I agree. So much that I've ganked this quote... :)

BrettShipes
05-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Don't get me wrong, I totally come from SF Metal roots (Exodus/Death Angel etc.) and still enjoy a good metal show once in a while, but Metallica has about as much pull on me at a festival as Green Day would. Both great bands if you see them in a much much much smaller venue but that will never happen again. Megadeth still plays Warfield in SF every couple years and Dave Mustaine kicks my ass every time!...

If Coachella got Metallica, they should put them in the Gobi and have them to "Kill 'em All" and have a good 'ole fashioned clusterfuck circle pit. That experience would make my life complete... but again, will never happen.

Paul T would also find a way to make Metallica grow their hair back...