PDA

View Full Version : Costa Rica

greghead
05-05-2008, 07:59 PM
I am heading to Costa Rica in June for a three week vacation, and am curious if anyone one here has any tips or suggestions as far as places to see and things to do. I know there is all the standard stuff like canopy tours, whitewater rafting, surfing, etc, but has anyone done something completely unique that you would recommend to a traveler on a budget?

Similarly, does anyone have any horror stories regarding hotels, transport, or crime? I'm looking for all the info I can gather, and the innanetz is not wielding as much info as I would like.

Mr.Nipples
05-05-2008, 08:48 PM
jurassic park

cansei de ser sexme
05-05-2008, 09:16 PM
http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10129&highlight=sexme+costa+rica

my experience...

menikmati
05-05-2008, 09:18 PM
jurassic park

hahaha...JP jokes/references will never get old for me.

zenidogx
05-05-2008, 09:32 PM
i met costa ricans during waters' set. nice, quiet folk.

PineapplePete
05-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Youtube doesn't have the Choir Tour episode of South Park but watch that and you'll get a good idea of whats to come.

thelastmejia
05-05-2008, 09:45 PM
I was in Costa Rica last year around the same time from June 16-august 6. I got married there and my inlaws live there. I traveled around a lot of the country but, there is just to much to see in one trip. Where are you going area wise and what do you want to do, Because I know of a really really good cheap hotel that is in a really beautiful area called Orosi. See Pic below. The hotel is at the bottom of the valley [/URL] , but it comes with breakfast everyday hot water, cable and internet access. http://www.teteylodge.com/ (http://www.teteylodge.com/). Its an 45 minutes away from San Jose though, but you save a lot cause you can ride the bus to go any where else and the people there will help you arrange to go on canopy tours and go to Tabacon( a volcanic hot spring that is active at nite but you should reserve if you want to spend the nite there [URL]http://www.tabacon.com/) . But surfing would be in the opposite direction in Jaco Beach. http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z175/07costarica/cr50.jpg

Makes me want to go back.

Stuff to take to Costa Rica: Bug repellents, Sunscreen (the UV index is a lot higher there than in the states, so it may seem like its cloudy but you could still get a sunburn), Bring a jacket for wet weather cause it rains like everyday starting around 2 or 3 pm.

Crime is just like here in the states, just watch out around you in heavy traffic areas. The worst is they will try to steal your wallet, but nothing really worse than that.

Transportation the best way is the buses cause its maaad cheap and they go everywhere for like 20 cents.

Have fun.

thelastmejia
05-05-2008, 09:46 PM
i met costa ricans during waters' set. nice, quiet folk.

Ticos are the friendliest people i have ever encountered in another country.

greghead
05-05-2008, 11:18 PM
I was in Costa Rica last year around the same time from June 16-august 6. I got married there and my inlaws live there. I traveled around a lot of the country but, there is just to much to see in one trip. Where are you going area wise and what do you want to do, Because I know of a really really good cheap hotel that is in a really beautiful area called Orosi. See Pic below. The hotel is at the bottom of the valley [/URL] , but it comes with breakfast everyday hot water, cable and internet access. http://www.teteylodge.com/ (http://www.teteylodge.com/). Its an 45 minutes away from San Jose though, but you save a lot cause you can ride the bus to go any where else and the people there will help you arrange to go on canopy tours and go to Tabacon( a volcanic hot spring that is active at nite but you should reserve if you want to spend the nite there [URL]http://www.tabacon.com/) . But surfing would be in the opposite direction in Jaco Beach. http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z175/07costarica/cr50.jpg

Makes me want to go back.

Stuff to take to Costa Rica: Bug repellents, Sunscreen (the UV index is a lot higher there than in the states, so it may seem like its cloudy but you could still get a sunburn), Bring a jacket for wet weather cause it rains like everyday starting around 2 or 3 pm.

Crime is just like here in the states, just watch out around you in heavy traffic areas. The worst is they will try to steal your wallet, but nothing really worse than that.

Transportation the best way is the buses cause its maaad cheap and they go everywhere for like 20 cents.

Have fun.

Cool, thanks man. I am heading to Jaco for a few days, and will then strike out from there. I don't really have any plans yet, I just want to relax, meet people, and do a bunch of blow. Well not the blow. Well, sort of.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I'll check out that hotel, your pic is incredible.

kroqken
05-05-2008, 11:25 PM
As a semi-pacifist, I love that Costa Rica has no standing army. It must make Noam Chomsky proud.

smoke
05-06-2008, 12:09 AM
i remember posting in another thread a while ago...

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13179&highlight=costa+rica

san jose sucks. leave as soon as possible.

TAKE A GOOD MAP. if you are heading out of the major cities, you'll need it. 4 wheel drive can be a big plus as well.

if you are a surfer or have surfers in the group, head to Tamarindo. its a great little town on the pacific side, northern part of the country.

drink Imperial for beer. if you really want to get fucked up, order Guaro. its the local liquor there and it will FUCK YOU UP. order a Guaro Sour. dont order shots.

if you need anything else...ask the pipe vendors. they know all the deals.

zip line = fun. horseback riding = fun. please note: its best not to engage in these activities during a Guaro hangover.

watch out for monkeys and bugs. BIG bugs.

for good food and good times, head to Jaco. its relatively americanized. you can get a great lobster dinner at the place that looks like a giant palapa.

and if you so desire...go to Hollywood Jaco. its a club on the outskirts of town. there you will have your pic of many gorgeous women...for a nominal fee.

also, i like to bring stickers or shirts or something. when i travel down there, i usually end up asking the locals a lot of questions. costa ricans are really nice, but they are also really poor. something just to give away to say thanks.

smoke
05-06-2008, 12:19 AM
Similarly, does anyone have any horror stories regarding hotels, transport, or crime? I'm looking for all the info I can gather, and the innanetz is not wielding as much info as I would like.

I've been several times and never had a problem with crime. A group of my friends went, and were robbed of everything within minutes of leaving the airport. I have always felt safe...except at night in parts of San Jose.

If you are going to Jaco you should have no problem finding a clean, corporate type hotel. Smaller towns can go either way. When traveling internationally and on a tight budget, I ALWAYS ask to see the room before I pay.

fikus222
05-06-2008, 03:30 AM
I have only been to Costa Rica (like 9 times) while in the US Coast Guard . We stopped many many times in the Southern part of the country on the Pacific side near the Panamanian border in a place call Golfito. There is not much there except lots of jungle and a little strip of city. We would take the water taxis out to the coast and stay at an bungalow hotel in the Playa Zancudo area. Jimmy Buffet has an annual sport fishing competition that leaves from this area. Costa Rica is cool, but I have no desire to ever see the places that I have been to in Central America and South America ever again. This includes Mexico, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Panama and Ecuador. Panama was cool the first few times, but after we spent Carnival in port there I never need to see it again. One major positive is that I found the Colombian women to be very friendly and also pretty hot...

Sometime in the future I would like to go to Peru (Machu Pichu) or Argentina.

TomAz
05-06-2008, 06:20 AM
what the hell is the Coast Guard doing in Costa Rica?

thelastmejia
05-06-2008, 09:05 AM
Pot in Costa Rica is not of good quality also, if you do ask one of the pipe dealers they will help you find some or sell some, but its not that good quality and if you want better stuff yo gotta ask for Kreepy pot (thats how they say it, but its a pain to find). Imperial beer is awesome, especially with lime and salt.

greghead
05-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the info, guys, I really appreciate it.

jigsaw
05-06-2008, 09:38 AM
I would take a short flight over any bus ride. We flew into San Jose and jumped on a bus to Manuel Antonio...not worth it. On the way back we jumped on a little plane and it took like 1/8th of the time. 30-40mins compaired to 4-5hrs. Srsly. You don't want to spend all of your time on a bus.

Pura Vida!

MassiveChemicalPunk
05-06-2008, 09:48 AM
Hey, if you want to swing by El Salvador, your more than welcome. You can crash my place.

jackstraw94086
05-06-2008, 10:29 AM

Scouting potential new US coastline.

greghead
05-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Hey, if you want to swing by El Salvador, your more than welcome. You can crash my place.

Cool, thanks. Where about in El Salvador do you live?

thelastmejia
05-06-2008, 01:35 PM
I would take a short flight over any bus ride. We flew into San Jose and jumped on a bus to Manuel Antonio...not worth it. On the way back we jumped on a little plane and it took like 1/8th of the time. 30-40mins compaired to 4-5hrs. Srsly. You don't want to spend all of your time on a bus.

Pura Vida!

Was it through Taca, I went from San Jose to Playa Conchal in a small plane, its so true about the long bus ride.

fikus222
05-06-2008, 03:07 PM

Port calls during our Eastern Pacific patrols. The USCG patrols International Waters and performs search and rescue missions, alien and migrant interdiction and counter narco-terrorism ops. In the Coast Guard I swam in the Arctic Ocean and have been down as far as Lima, Peru.

The USCG has even sold old Coast Guard Cutters to the gov'ts of El Salvador and Costa Rica. Costa Rica's only militaristic org. is their Coast Guard.

jigsaw
05-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Was it through Taca, I went from San Jose to Playa Conchal in a small plane, its so true about the long bus ride.

I'm not sure. We stopped halfway and saw a ton of crocodiles, which was cool.

greghead
05-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the info everybody, I'll let you all know how the trip goes. If you think of anything between now and June 15, drop me a line or post in this thread, I'll be checking it regularly.

Cheers!

MassiveChemicalPunk
05-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Cool, thanks. Where about in El Salvador do you live?

in San Salvador!!! Great city. Tons of stuff to do. I live like 30 mins from the beach and my brother has a surf camp there in La Libertad. My brother also has some of the best clubs in the city if you want to party.

Wheres the beef?
05-11-2008, 09:47 PM
jurassic park

Priceless.

fikus222
05-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Priceless.

While I was in the Coast Gard we saved some Costa Rican fishermen and in return the Costa Rican government gave us permission to hang out on the Isla de Coco. This is where they filmed Jurassic Park and it is a national park located a few hundred miles south of the mainland. Unfortunately we had to pass on the chance due to drug ops getting in the way. From what I hear the Island is pristine and utterly beautiful.