PDA

View Full Version : 2008 HARDLY STRICTLY BLUEGRASS FESTIVAL IN SAN FRANCISCO

scoop49er
05-04-2008, 08:21 AM
http://consequenceofsound.net/2008/05/03/hardly-strictly-bluegrass-festival-announces-initial-lineup/

im really hoping that plant and krauss and gogol bordello play on the same day so i can go to that day. i heard its a cool, relaxing festival and its free!!

Ardentbiscuit
05-04-2008, 08:22 AM
This looks great for a free festival! Wow!

shakermaker113
05-04-2008, 08:35 AM
im really hoping that plant and krauss and gogol bordello play on the same day so i can go to that day. i heard its a cool, relaxing festival and its free!!

even if they're on different days, what's stopping you from going both days? it's free. even if there's just one band you want to see each day, you can show up just for them.

also:

http://www.gamh.com/artist_images/blue%20copy.jpg

aphrael
05-04-2008, 09:12 AM
I look forward to the slam dancing in GGP ...

dorkfish
07-30-2008, 06:15 PM
MC Hammer and Elvis Costello were added today

http://www.gamh.com/artist_images/bluegrass-em.jpg

unitedwestand
07-30-2008, 06:17 PM
holy crap. those r some NICE additions. I might have to go to this

dorkfish
07-30-2008, 06:19 PM
gee, I wonder if Pegi Young will bring out her husband?

Backwater
07-30-2008, 06:19 PM
If you go don't miss Iron and Wine, Ricky Skaggs, and Jerry Douglas.

Jakewc151
07-30-2008, 08:59 PM
This fest is really fun and since it's in golden gate park and is free it's pretty easy bringing in whatever you want (booze, food, water etc). LAst year was a lot of fun.

zenidogx
07-30-2008, 09:03 PM
grr. same weekend as detour!

Backwater
07-30-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm going to Sunset Junction, then Hardley Strictly. I'll save so much money instead of OSL - Detour and still see so many great bands.

bballarl
07-30-2008, 09:19 PM
Nick Lowe? Rad. I might be home this weekend to see Sigur Ros...if that is the case, I am definitely going to check out this fest.

zenidogx
07-30-2008, 10:00 PM
I'm going to Sunset Junction, then Hardley Strictly. I'll save so much money instead of OSL - Detour and still see so many great bands.

i'm going back to school Aug 25 and have to move in the week before, so i'll miss sunset junction and go to OSL since i'm closer. Detour has a great lineup and Oct 5 i'm going to be baptizin', so i'm back down here.

otherwise, i'd join you in getting the most quality out of a buck.

rage patton
07-31-2008, 12:30 AM
I can't believe this is free. I am extremely jelous.

Backwater
07-31-2008, 12:40 AM
MC Hammer, at a bluegrass festival? Is that some kind of joke? I really like bluegrass and I think this lineup is actually better than Detour, although this lineup is much bigger so it's hard to compare.

PassiveTheory
07-31-2008, 12:44 AM
Might be seeing Gogol for the first time at this... yeehaw!

zenidogx
07-31-2008, 06:57 AM
Might be seeing Gogol for the first time at this... yeehaw!

two coachellas and no gogol? are you mad, man?!

jigsaw
07-31-2008, 08:29 AM
damn, san fran has it going on.

PassiveTheory
07-31-2008, 08:32 AM
two coachellas and no gogol? are you mad, man?!

I know... I fucked up. In 07', Faithless (by fat the best performance of the weekend) took all my energy from out of me, so by the time I stumbled into the Gogol tent, all the energy I could muster was to take a blurry shot of Eugene from a'far before finding some place to sit down. And in 08' I had to see fucking Swervedriver instead because I wanted a good spot for Spiritualized.

shakermaker113
07-31-2008, 08:39 AM
mc hammer? are you kidding?

I hope he plays sunday. I will definitely be going sunday. saturday I'm not sure, as it conflicts with love fest.

unitedwestand
09-26-2008, 12:00 PM
schedule is updated here:
http://www.strictlybluegrass.com/2008/artists.shtml
might have to go to this next weekend

shakermaker113
09-26-2008, 12:18 PM
Fri Oct 3 11:30am MC Hammer.

awesome. like, NOBODY is going to be there to witness this bizarre and unusual happening.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-26-2008, 12:23 PM

awesome. like, NOBODY is going to be there to witness this bizarre and unusual happening.

WTF

chiapet
09-26-2008, 04:02 PM
I work from home on Fridays (and live in the richmond), so I'm considering going for hammer time :P

shakermaker113
09-26-2008, 04:05 PM
take pictures! and/or video!

Backwater
09-26-2008, 05:05 PM
I'm also considering going, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he doesn't show up.

PassiveTheory
09-26-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm going Sunday, I think.

theburiedlife
09-29-2008, 09:10 AM
That's right you are.

Geno_g
09-29-2008, 09:17 AM
I could probably only go Friday, oh well, if any one is going Saturday catch Asleep at the Wheel, I like them, also sunday looks the best, Gorgol, oh well this week is MBV any ways...

TomAz
09-29-2008, 09:40 AM
shit. I wish I could go to this. It's be worth is for Mark Olson & Gary Louris alone. I had no idea Olson had re-joined the Jayhawks.

Iris Dement is awesome. Truly exceptional.

Elvis Costello. Steve Earle. Jon Langford. holy shit. Dave Alvin. Nick Lowe. Richard Thompson. Emmylou Harris.

damn

TomAz
09-29-2008, 09:42 AM
Iron & Wine. the Waco Brothers. god damn I keep reading that list.

TomAz
09-29-2008, 09:44 AM
Odetta !?!?!? why is she buried way down at the bottom? she's a legend.

Wheres the beef?
09-29-2008, 10:23 AM

Man this might be worth going all the way up for.

Jp90P0gUw7E

PJandBompton
09-29-2008, 01:24 PM
what the fuck is up with the poster? do they not know how to go biggest artist to smallest? I had to search through the fucking thing just to find Plant...then I see Iron & Wine, Ben Kweller, MC Hammer, Pegi Young and Robert Earl Keen hidden as fuck...

SFChrissy
09-29-2008, 03:23 PM
even if they're on different days, what's stopping you from going both days? it's free. even if there's just one band you want to see each day, you can show up just for them.

also:

http://www.gamh.com/artist_images/blue%20copy.jpg

cuz he's from sacrotomatoe...

My friends went last year and had a blast...I'm going with the little ones in tow...

shakermaker113
09-29-2008, 03:35 PM
cuz he's from sacrotomatoe...

My friends went last year and had a blast...I'm going with the little ones in tow...

OH. makes sense.

bballarl
09-29-2008, 03:38 PM
I might stop by this.

rage patton
09-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Damn. Elvis Costello into Gogol Bordello would be awesome. I wish I was going almost JUST for that. Who is Heavy Trash though? Shouldn't Elvis Costell or Gogol Bordello be closing the stage?

PassiveTheory
09-29-2008, 08:33 PM
I don't know if it's actually Elvis Costello since the group (Elvis Costello's High Wine and Spirits, or whatever) is playing before/after Gogol at like 5 in the afternoon.

Backwater
09-29-2008, 09:28 PM
Heavy Trash rules.

PJandBompton
09-29-2008, 11:16 PM
I highly highly doubt it really is Costello...it sounds like a novelty act to me...

AND, you guys are trippin...Gogol Bordello would play before Costello...

chiapet
09-30-2008, 02:08 PM
I don't know if it's actually Elvis Costello since the group (Elvis Costello's High Wine and Spirits, or whatever) is playing before/after Gogol at like 5 in the afternoon.

What do you mean you don't know if it's Elvis Costello? It is. But playing bluegrass. At least that is what he did when he played the festival in the past.

PassiveTheory
09-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Does he do bluegrass versions of his hits?

chiapet
09-30-2008, 02:56 PM
I don't think so, probably more just jamming. If you're lucky he might do stuff from the new album he is doing?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/09/26/PKUC12V1NE.DTL

ELVIS COSTELLO'S HIGH WHINES AND SPIRITS: In a country mood, Costello will be joined by an informal group including guitarist Bill Kirchen, fiddler Fats Kaplin and keyboardist Audie de Lone. Expect guest appearances from Jim Lauderdale and Emmylou Harris, and don't be too surprised if T Bone Burnett joins Elvis to try out material from their forthcoming album, "Perfect Secrets," featuring many of the same musicians.

Deviate_420
09-30-2008, 04:28 PM
MC Hammer and Elvis Costello were added today

http://www.gamh.com/artist_images/bluegrass-em.jpg

THis is gonna be epic. Candy flipping to Robert Plant and Alison Krauss is gonna be crazy.lol

unitedwestand
10-02-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm pretty excited for this, gonna be headin down 2night! does anyone know if there's any aftershows for this?

Jakewc151
10-02-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm pretty excited for this, gonna be headin down 2night! does anyone know if there's any aftershows for this?

Not sure of any official after parties, but there is tons of shit going on during and after the fest this weekend in the city.. Lovefest, Oktoberfest, etc.

unitedwestand
10-02-2008, 07:38 PM
for those going theres also the October Fest 2-5
http://www.oktoberfestbythebay.com/index.html
With 'Sizzling Oompah Music' and German Food and Beer for All!

unitedwestand
10-02-2008, 07:43 PM
so if ur san fran this weekend u can get to see German Music, Blue Grass Music, Techo Music, Indie Music, +Sigur Ros. Damn. Anyone seeing Robert Plant at the Blue Grass Concert and then heading over to Sigur Ros?

shakermaker113
10-02-2008, 08:35 PM
so if ur san fran this weekend u can get to see German Music, Blue Grass Music, Techo Music, Indie Music, +Sigur Ros. Damn. Anyone seeing Robert Plant at the Blue Grass Concert and then heading over to Sigur Ros?

lol yeah it's a bit absurd isn't it? I'm going to be so fucking exhausted after this weekend.

psychoc&ndy
10-03-2008, 09:35 PM
who's all going to this?

shakermaker113
10-05-2008, 08:52 PM
the crowd for iron & wine was SO packed. even behind the trees, where you couldn't see anything, there was no space to be found. they sounded good, except for fucking up every other song.

I've heard nothing but great things about the mc hammer show.

fun day out.

PassiveTheory
10-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Sad I missed Iron and Wine but being up front and close for Gogol Bordello was essential.

Someday I have to buy RagePatton a beer, because waiting this long for Gogol was worth it. Jesus christ they are an amazing live band.

Also, Elvis Costello was pretty good (wish I had been closer to the stage), and Bonnie "Prince" Billy was also good. Photos to be put up later.

rage patton
10-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Someday I have to buy RagePatton a beer, because waiting this long for Gogol was worth it. Jesus christ they are an amazing live band.

Lee! You finally saw them! That is awesome. How long did they play for? And how was the crowd? I seriously can't wait. 5 days until Gogol have a 2 night stand in Vancouver.

Sushov23
10-05-2008, 11:40 PM
RAGE two times in 3 days for me was EPIC. and The Mars Volta brought it last night. Hey I'm sorry about the lack of setlist, and pics I have been really tired/lazy(Gogol, The CBEST test, and Detour will do that to you). I will do it tomorrow for sure.

PassiveTheory
10-05-2008, 11:40 PM
They played for what felt like an eternity... All I know is that they had ridiculous technical problems and were like 15 minutes late, but they must have played an hour. They played mainly a bunch of hits ("Stop Wearing Purple", "Not a Crime", "Wanderlust King") and a few personal favorites ("Supertheory of Supereverything", "American Wedding") and they ended with a 10 or 15 minute long version of that one song you mention they play (can't name if off the top of my head). Also, they added a 2nd vocalist/hype dude to the group, which is interesting since Eugene does a good enough job of both of those already. The girls were used during 3 songs and the finale. There was no crowd surfing (mainly because of the show at Slim's they would be doing this evening [which is now over, I assume]) but I have some awesome pictures.

The pit was okay. I'm really not a moshing guy, I've learned, and I think I'd need to see Gogol on their own in order to see them again, so that I'd have the necessary energy to combat the crowd (tooooooooo tired from Saturday). But at least the pit wasn't insanely violent, just really moving. I also helped like 3 people crowd surf (that was fun) but spent most of my time rocking out next to the barricade wall (where I saw Mvanwinkle being destroyed in the moshpit across the barricade).

They are just an incredible fucking live band.

rage patton
10-05-2008, 11:47 PM
It's ok Sushov... I have been crazy busy this week and I havent been able to get my Monotonix pictures off my camera. I understand.

And it does sound like Gogol were awesome... but they always are. And that extra vocalist/hype dude has been playing with them since I saw them at Bumbershoot 2007. Funnily enough, he was at Coachella 07, but he only came out during Not A Crime and did the rapping part. For some reason now though, now that he is on stage with them basically the whole show, he doesn't do the rapping part of "Not A Crime." I dont get it, but it doesnt really matter. And that sucks the girls aren't used very much anymore. Everytime I have seen them since Coachella 07, they have been used less and less every show. Oh well. Also, the "song" they end with is Baro Faro. I call it a "song" because it is more like a long medely/jam. I am glad you had so much. Next time you get a chance to see em on their own, do it.

Sushov23
10-05-2008, 11:49 PM
Are you guys talking about the Mexican singing dude. Violeta para me.

tubescape
10-06-2008, 08:51 AM
what a great weekend! only rained overnight on Friday and didn't affect the grounds one bit. Plant & Krauss on Friday were superb. Didn't stick around too long on Saturday, but saw a few sets and took in the great vibe and warm sun. Sunday we went all out with a picnic, dog, and all the essentials. Had a nice space near the Arrow Stage and were able to move around with relative ease. the Iron & Wine scene was a joke. Sorry, but I'm not going to stand elbow to elbow, 250 yds from the sunken stage where you could hardly see or hear sh*t. It was as though every person between the age of 22-35 in the city showed up for that set. Barely heard half the first song and was over it. It was a defeat equivalent to the infamous Beck set at Outside Lands. Turned around to find the truffle man in my path. Yummy! the set of the weekend for me though was Gogol Bordello. I had never seen them and they certainly lived up to the hype broadcast on this board and everywhere else. I was dancing from start to finish. They brought some serious energy and the crowd (which I'm guessing was pushing nearly 20K just for that set) was totally into it. It was truly a wonderful weekend. Thank you SF for being such a great city and putting on events like this! Oh, and f*ck you MUNI/LoveFest for the bus catastrophe on that started Saturday morning on nearly all westbound buses and rippled through the evening. What a buzz kill that was!