PDA

View Full Version : Coachella 2008: The Big Picture

pgarg
05-02-2008, 05:47 PM
http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/news/article/0,,4679299,00.html

Something I wrote up for a website I write for... Not intended to get people all riled up about my opinions regarding certain bands (it's not a review), but rather to inspire some conversation and see what other people remember most about the Coachella big picture, not just the standout bands and performances.

My intention in writing this was to hopefully give myself (and others) the opportunity to express what it is about Coachella that we might miss at a lot of the other shows we go to throughout the year. Maybe by jarring those thoughts, that Coachella spirit could last a lot longer throughout the year... Or maybe not. But if it jars anything at all, it already paid dividends...

Paul

thelastgreatman
05-02-2008, 06:06 PM
Your taste sucks, your article sucks. You suck.

PassiveTheory
05-02-2008, 06:33 PM
Wow... slamming Prince, Portishead and Kraftwerk?... Weak shit.

Vic Viper
05-02-2008, 09:09 PM
You contradict yourself here:

But with dance music, it's not about the lyrics, and it's not about the band that is delivering the song. It is about the energy that is transferred between the artist and the person hearing and processing the music and sounds. It is about the translation of that sound into a kinetic reaction, dancing. It's a primal reaction that is based on nothing more than our instinct when we hear the sounds that are delivered to us. Itís pure, unadulterated and the absolute enjoyment of music in its minimalistic sense. It is a rush in both the physical and spiritual sense of the word. The bond is profound, and the reaction is immediate.

Having the opportunity to see [Kraftwerk] was a highlight heading into the festival, but didnít have the enduring impact of so many other acts on the bill. I attribute that to the fact that they were so robotic in their presentation, I felt as if I was watching a movie more than be a part of a performance. It was nice to watch, but I didn't find it particularly engaging to experience (there's that word again).
First you state that dance/electronic music is different from more traditional rock/pop music in that the image of the [electronic] artist is more often clouded by the actual music. Which is true, and nobody would say that it should be any other way.

Then you go on to say that you don't have a particularly strong connection Kraftwerk (and other acts) and then go on basically to fault them because their image wasn't cool or "engaging" enough for you. Apparently in a genre where, by your own words, image and sound are for the sake of argument a 30/70 split, the music of Kraftwerk (or Portishead) was unable to move you.

Its fine that you may not particularly like Kraftwerk's music, or their German-robot motif, but to fault their performance because of your own personal bias is unprofessional as both a writer and a music fan.

For instance I don't like Pink Floyd, so I didn't see Waters. Had I been there, I certainly wouldn't have sat through almost 3 hours of PF material and then said "boring, I wasn't engaged". Its not Waters' fault that I don't like his music.

NicoDread
05-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Your article is stupid.

wstsidela
05-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Your taste sucks, your article sucks. You suck.

What he said

zenidogx
05-03-2008, 07:42 PM
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn.
wait.
no, nevermind.
yaaawn.

aphrael
05-03-2008, 07:49 PM
And yes, for certain artists, it *is* necessary to have a mosh pit.

Sure, there shouldn't be a pit at Death Cab. But you aren't going to see GB *anywhere* without a pit, and there's no good reason for Coachella to be different ... and so like everything else, it should depend on which band is up and what's appropriate for that setting.

faxman75
05-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Mods, please destroy thread.

Thank you.

algunz
05-03-2008, 08:33 PM
If Randy hadn't been the first reponder to this thread, I wonder where this would have gone.

humanoid
05-04-2008, 12:14 AM
And yes, for certain artists, it *is* necessary to have a mosh pit.

Sure, there shouldn't be a pit at Death Cab. But you aren't going to see GB *anywhere* without a pit, and there's no good reason for Coachella to be different ... and so like everything else, it should depend on which band is up and what's appropriate for that setting.

I disagree....there absolutely should be a mosh pit at Death Cab, only it should be located on stage, and the band should be torn limb from limb while they whine....it could be something beautiful to behold

pgarg
05-04-2008, 02:47 AM
Respond, react, reply, that's all I want... It's not about my opinion, because my opinion is worth no more than anyone else's. It's about people not being afraid to speak their opinion when it's not popular, and being able to take it when they are flamed and not feel like less of a person for it. I never said any band was bad, or that any band wasn't as good (or better) than anyone else. Why am I less of a person for not "getting" a certain band? Say whatever you want about me, it doesn't make me lose sleep at night, and it doesn't make you or I any less or more of a person. We all love music, and that's the common bond. We don't have to love the same music to share the same feelings...

Vic, I understand what you're saying--Please understand, I don't dislike Kraftwerk. I just think they might have been better suited for a different stage. My role as a "critic" isn't to be overly critical because that's what I get paid to do, it's to expose what, as a fan, either did, or might have, made a show a success. If I think a show is brilliant, I'll say so. If I don't think it is, I'll say so. It doesn't mean I'm right or wrong. It's just what I do. And I thank God every day that this is what I get to do for a living. The great thing about what I do is, hopefully I inspire people to react, and that spark is what reminds people that they are alive.

This isn't a review of any band, and people who read my words close enough will see that. It's just my interpretation of what I saw, and how it ended up affecting my overall impression of the weekend. At the end of the day, I'm no different than anyone else who reads this board, my career path just led me to different place than the rest of you.

Algunz, thank you. The reality is, I love Coachella as much, if not more, than the next person, and the sparks it creates are the reasons why.

Flame on, and peace out.

KatieLyn
05-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Fail.

beavington
05-05-2008, 04:48 PM
I havent read the whole thing but i do know that judging a show from the VIP area is no way to judge a show.
You are so far removed from the show you get lost.
Perhaps Roger Waters and his shiny toys kept your interest but I dont know, when I was watching prince i really wasnt paying attention to anyone else but maybe the chick in front of me crying through some of his songs, it was a great powerful performance.

now i have read the whole thing, yeah it just went downhill...to say Justice was better that Portishead is really sad.

I do not believe in telling someone they are wrong but yeah your assessment of coachella was wrong and off. sorry.

Get out of the VIP area and enjoy yourself. Get over controlling who can and cant get where and just let people be, step back shake your tail with them and let them be on their way.

johnnypolite
05-08-2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks for posting your article. I won't bash you for having a different opinion than the people on this board.

faxman75
05-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Justice a better performance than Portishead?!?

I'm glad I didn't read. lol

Shuwstah
05-10-2008, 02:54 PM
"And Portishead? What can I say… I tried. But not being a fan of their music heading in, it was a bit overwhelming to try and comprehend in the live setting. I'm not disputing their talent, just being honest enough to admit that it just wasn't my thing that night. While it sure is nice to have the chance to witness the legends live in a setting like Coachella, sometimes it can be just as nice to discover something new and inspiring. Just think of it this way: The hard rock fans that Justice can win over today just might be the newfound dance fans that give the scene a jolt of fresh blood tomorrow. We all need to start somewhere..."

He never said Justice was better than Portishead, he just stated that he enjoyed justice more. You people need to learn to read.

Its fucking opinions people, stfu.

thelastgreatman
05-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Right, cause stating which you enjoyed more is not remotely the same as stating which was better. You are a dumb fucking cunt.

kreutz2112
05-10-2008, 03:09 PM
I hate people that think their opinion counts. Mine is the only one that does.

thelastgreatman
05-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Kreutz, why didn't we get together and hump at Coach this year?

kreutz2112
05-10-2008, 03:15 PM
I knew your ass would be sore. I did you a favor.

thelastgreatman
05-10-2008, 03:18 PM
It's better when it's sore.

JClemy
05-10-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm not going to get mad at you because you have a shitty opinion because that has already been done. I just think you're a shitty writer. You mention that Aphex was the one you were glad to see but you left part way through. A little bit earlier you said that you hated people who came in part way and left part way.

I don't like mosh pits very much personally and it makes me feel old but it's something that happens at a concert. I'm sure the 3 people who saw Enter Shikari were in a mosh pit of sadness.

You can say that Prince and Kraftwerk sucked if you want but both artists basically performed their asses off(Kraftwork had their robots for fucks sake!). You try to say that the article isn't a review but in a way it is. Would you get someone's grandma who thinks rap is terrible to review the new NERD album(only for a laugh). So basically you are saying you feel left down because your favorite artists weren't playing and the Hoff molested you. I'm sure you're not the first.

humanoid
05-10-2008, 03:56 PM
/\ I like the sound of a mosh pit of sadness

wstsidela
05-11-2008, 04:17 PM
/\ I like the sound of a mosh pit of sadness

Poetic, isn't it.

boarderwoozel3
05-11-2008, 05:27 PM
The thing is, its just not very well written. IMO.

JClemy
05-11-2008, 05:32 PM
well I felt like I was being mean if I said something mean. They watched Enter Shikari. Haven't they suffered enough?

rage patton
05-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Re: Original Poster

You are glad you saw Scars on Broadway? Jesus... they were fucking terrible.

sassypants
05-11-2008, 07:38 PM
I agree with the comments about Prince - I felt the same way and I wasn't observing from the VIP area.

And I can understand your opinion of the Portishead set. If I wasn't familiar with their music and have an emotional connection to the songs, I would've found it uninspiring as well.

And your point #1 can't be said enough: Coachella is a completely different experience for every person that attends.

droog
05-27-2008, 02:57 PM
And I can understand your opinion of the Portishead set. If I wasn't familiar with their music and have an emotional connection to the songs, I would've found it uninspiring as well. [/B]

i'm sorry but that's bs.

just because you dont have an emotional connection to some of the bands that play at coachella doesn't mean your ears won't perk up and think.. "hey, this is good shit!" obviously that's a huge reason to go to the festival.

i've read responses by many people waiting for prince, for example, and realizing for the first time how awesome portishead were.

thelastgreatman
05-27-2008, 03:26 PM
And I can understand your opinion of the Portishead set. If I wasn't familiar with their music and have an emotional connection to the songs, I would've found it uninspiring as well. [/B]

GO FUCK YOURSELF. As a fan that's such a ridiculous goddamn statement, I don't even know where to begin.

Wheres the beef?
05-27-2008, 04:06 PM
http://bighugelabs.com/photos/4adfcf5f5db9ae06154a3fd8b81d63cd/motivator9718797.jpg

PC-2 Violence
05-30-2008, 01:28 PM
http://bighugelabs.com/photos/4adfcf5f5db9ae06154a3fd8b81d63cd/motivator9718797.jpg

Thank you for this and please let us remove this horrible writer from the board.

bakersfield
06-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Dude did not even mention The Raconteurs.
Weird.

RotationSlimWang
06-09-2008, 11:16 PM
I'm another day or two away from completing the massive article on Coach 08 I've been writing. First I have to find a way to cut most of the 30 or so pages it's turning out to be. Between this one and the pieces I wrote about 07 and 06, I have written just under 60 pages of single-spaced gonzo journalism about Coachella.

satori777
06-10-2008, 08:46 AM
Respond, react, reply, that's all I want... It's not about my opinion, because my opinion is worth no more than anyone else's. It's about people not being afraid to speak their opinion when it's not popular, and being able to take it when they are flamed and not feel like less of a person for it.

I could totally tell how you weren't afraid to have your opinion heard. The way you kept appologizing in your article reminded me of how you friend sounds after he crashes your car. You have no balls. Balls would have been saying something like, "I didn't like it" and moving on. You say, "I didn't like it, but wait, I don't want you to be upset that I didn't like it. Love me please."

Someone nuetered you when you were very young...

Bud Luster
06-10-2008, 01:27 PM
I'm another day or two away from completing the massive article on Coach 08 I've been writing. First I have to find a way to cut most of the 30 or so pages it's turning out to be. Between this one and the pieces I wrote about 07 and 06, I have written just under 60 pages of single-spaced gonzo journalism about Coachella.

you have 30 single spaced pages for 08 - fucking shit!

betao
06-10-2008, 06:32 PM
you have 30 single spaced pages for 08 - fucking shit!

28 of them are about how awesome portishead where.

dontfeedthebird
06-11-2008, 11:39 PM
I just think it's ridiculous to apologize for having an opinion, before we even click on the link. Are we still on Eight Mile?