PDA

View Full Version : IS SLEEPING IN MY CAR A SAFE IDEA?

ollie L
02-02-2007, 05:06 PM
got my ticket, got my ride, but go not place to sleep at night . . .
really just thought i'd sleep in my car . . . that'd be safe ya think?

psychic friend
02-02-2007, 05:14 PM
faq

beautiful nemesis
02-02-2007, 11:17 PM
are you planning on sleeping in your car from on-site camping?
you can't do it in the parking lot, you can if you're on-site camping

as far as off-site, i have no idea about the safety level of Indio...

Carlo Von Sexron
02-03-2007, 01:50 AM
A friend of mine and his buddy slept in his car one night during 04. It was in the campground parking lot. They said they felt like dying the next day, though. That was the wekend of the infamous high temperatures.

instinct
02-03-2007, 04:36 AM
A friend of mine and his buddy slept in his car one night during 04. It was in the campground parking lot. They said they felt like dying the next day, though. That was the wekend of the infamous high temperatures.

god it was so fucking hot.

umm.. i would seriously try and book a hotel in palm springs or something.. unless you have a really comfy car.. but it sucks not being able to take a shower.. plus i don't know where you could park it, but i'm sure you would find a spot.

SessyMary
02-03-2007, 10:07 AM
The times I’ve been (04 & 06) I barley had enough money to get tickets, so I slept in my car. its a bit uncomfortable, but safety hasn’t been an issue for me. Just park in a well lit parking lot and lock your doors. Go into a public bathroom to brush your the and freshen yourself up. its totally worth it =)

dawnbecameamuse
02-03-2007, 10:25 AM
when you exit the 10 east, you would go right about 3 miles to the festival, but if you go left you will see an open clearing of desert that you can drive onto as far into the distance as you like, i slept in my car there in '04 and was completely undisturbed, not a soul in sight, got woken up by the heat at like 6:30 though...

gaypalmsprings
02-03-2007, 10:30 AM
there are truck stops on I-10 in indio/coachella - you could sleep in yer car & take a shower at the truck stop

ollie L
02-03-2007, 12:33 PM
thanks tons for the replies, originally, i was thinking of sleeping in the Coachella parking lot, that would be worse then some other parking lot?

smokealotapotamus
02-03-2007, 12:45 PM
you cant do that. they wont let you. like PF said.
"Faq"

matsuolost
02-03-2007, 08:54 PM
i slept in the car last year nothing happened
only unbearable heat in the morning

Philthy
02-04-2007, 04:20 PM
It is illegal to sleep in your car in California. Fact.

The police do patrol the parking lots after the festival, and if you're caught you will either be locked up for a night or 2 or be asked to move on.

Get a hotel in Palm Springs.

tessalasset
02-04-2007, 04:28 PM
...or just buy an on-site camping ticket? which is hundreds of dollars cheaper?

SubBass49
02-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Personally, I've seen that Indio is like many other desert towns...lots of tweakers & crackheads. If you do sleep in your car, bring protection just in case. And no matter what, don't park down near the Motel 6 that's just off Monroe. There's a serious run-down crack motel down there that we made the mistake of staying at in 99, and the area doesnt look any better now.

-- J

dvdestrd
02-04-2007, 11:06 PM
My first year we slept in the car at a rest stop a few miles before san bernadino and once we hit the road... we hit the car in front of us... :( so sad when your traveling from northern ca and have no one that you know that far south.

Carlo Von Sexron
02-05-2007, 12:54 AM
Personally, I've seen that Indio is like many other desert towns...lots of tweakers & crackheads. If you do sleep in your car, bring protection just in case. And no matter what, don't park down near the Motel 6 that's just off Monroe. There's a serious run-down crack motel down there that we made the mistake of staying at in 99, and the area doesnt look any better now.

-- J

Haha...I stayed there last year, which is a long story in itself. What a shithole! I thought my gf and her friend were going to kill me for booking that place. We feared for our life.

SubBass49
02-05-2007, 04:38 AM
They let you BOOk it? Haha...we had to pay cash the morning of the stay...and when we got back there after the show our door wouldnt unlock...we finally got it open and there were dirty clothes in the corner of the room, the window to the alley was busted out...there were dead roaches & grasshoppers all over the floor...3 TVs (none of 'em worked). That's just a few of the things that were wrong. Slept with the lights on, in a sleeping bag, on top of the covers. In the morning we took all the dead bugs in a cup, put the room key at the bottom (under the bugs) and went into the little liquior store that the guy rents rooms out of...he asked if our stay was OK and we told him the health department was on the way. shoulda seen the look on his face! True classic. Ever since we've booked a Motel 6 out in Palm Desert off Varner...always been clean.

- J

vinylmartyr
02-05-2007, 04:40 AM
wow

SubBass49
02-05-2007, 04:45 AM
Yeah...we call it the Motel-motel. Right there where there's the Motel 6 just off Monroe...right near the train tracks. The night before we had stayed at the Motel 6 but they were outta rooms for the following night. While we were hanging out on the walkway at the Motel 6 the security guard came around and warned us not to talk to the crack whores.

-- J