PDA

View Full Version : Tips for the English!

Jake!
02-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Hay, me and my sis are coming from England to your amazing festival this year (mainly to see RATM!), im well experienced in our fests like glasto, reading etc but wondering if i could have some tips on what to expect cos ive never been too an American festival before! Is there any one whos been to any of our fests and can tell me the major differences e.g camping, drinking, drugs, safety, theft etc. Does music go on all night or are there cerfues?

Also how long does it take to drive from Ontario?

All help very much appreacheated, Thanks!

tessalasset
02-02-2007, 04:26 PM
you spend a while on here, when you have a couple hours free, just going from thread to thread and reading/researching. pretty much all your questions are answered on this board already.

Rezzo
02-02-2007, 04:41 PM
you can't drink here... you are underage... 21 it is here... curfew is 12

E-rock
02-02-2007, 09:56 PM
Hay, me and my sis are coming from England to your amazing festival this year (mainly to see RATM!), im well experienced in our fests like glasto, reading etc but wondering if i could have some tips on what to expect cos ive never been too an American festival before! Is there any one whos been to any of our fests and can tell me the major differences e.g camping, drinking, drugs, safety, theft etc. Does music go on all night or are there cerfues?

All help very much appreacheated, Thanks!
I went to Glasto last year and was shocked! Everyone was getting sh!tfaced so freely. It's not like that here. Oh, and the drinking thing....totally sucks if you're not 21. They're real tough on ID checks.

Jake!
02-04-2007, 04:01 AM
I went to Glasto last year and was shocked! Everyone was getting sh!tfaced so freely. It's not like that here. Oh, and the drinking thing....totally sucks if you're not 21. They're real tough on ID checks.

Thats ok, im gona be 21 in a few days so the drinking aint a problem! That is the great thing about Glasto, no one gives a shit! Is security alot toughter on drugs then? Would i get kicked out for smoking a spliff?

Sally Cinnamon
02-04-2007, 04:04 AM
Ive been wonderin about the drinkin thing myself. Comin from Ireland and we tend to drink ALOT at our festivals. The norm is to bring a crate to the campsite with ya so ya have plenty of booze for the night time...is it the same at Coachella and if not, where do we get our booze~?

vinylmartyr
02-04-2007, 04:09 AM
you must love the stone roses

Sally Cinnamon
02-04-2007, 04:10 AM

lol
kinda sorta

MusicIsMyBoyfriend
02-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Jake it'll take about 2 hours give or take to drive from Ontario to Indio if the traffic is decent. If it's backed up which it can be, I'm assuming you'll be taking the 10 the whole way, it could take a bit longer than that.

york707
02-04-2007, 10:51 AM
DO you people even bother to read the other threads? There really is some useful advice out there.

bmack86
02-04-2007, 11:37 AM
It's too hot to be drinking crazily. You'll pass out before the sun sets if you're drinking heavily, and you'll have to deal with massive dehydration. No fun.

invisiblerobots
02-04-2007, 11:45 AM
Read the other threads and the FAQ before you post, damn!!

Jake!
02-05-2007, 07:02 AM
Read the other threads and the FAQ before you post, damn!!

Yeah, fair point i just really couldent be bothered to scroll through the thousends of threads on this board the other day.

Pretty much all my questions have been answered now, so thanks to all the people who helped out.

Bring on Coachella!

randy ricochet
02-05-2007, 08:46 AM
Here's a tip.......Don't eat yellow snow, And be careful cause American's don't have a sense of humour!!!!

illdefined
02-05-2007, 09:13 AM
Hey Jake!, I will also be coming in from Ontario. I am flying in from Chicago to stay with a friend out there. We will be driving everyday, maybe we can work some type of carpool thing out. Let me know, we are both 24 yr old males from the midwest looking for other interesting people. My main reason for going is also RATM!

amyzzz
02-05-2007, 10:46 AM
Bring several bags of Starburst from England, and I will gladly trade other sundries with you, like bottled water or ear plugs or something. They have lime Starburst in England, and we don't have that here!

I don't know if this is a tip so much as a request. :)

E-rock
02-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Thats ok, im gona be 21 in a few days so the drinking aint a problem! That is the great thing about Glasto, no one gives a shit! Is security alot toughter on drugs then? Would i get kicked out for smoking a spliff?

Yes, depending on how much you've got on you, you could get arrested. I don't recommend smoking out in public. Do like everyone else and get baked before you go in.

If you're bringing British delicasies, could you also bring me a pack of Silk Cut, some Tiger bars and a can of Vegemite? Vegemite rocks!

rhodez
02-05-2007, 08:22 PM
hahah you mean lion bars and marmite :)

Quentin
02-05-2007, 08:24 PM

ew, marmite is disgusting!

rhodez
02-05-2007, 08:27 PM
not if ur a marmite muncher

Quentin
02-05-2007, 08:31 PM
not if ur a marmite muncher

blargh. I can understand that. I really like tofu, but a lot of people don't.

rhodez
02-05-2007, 08:33 PM
dont really mind any food.. it all comes out the same :)

Jake!
02-06-2007, 12:29 AM
Bring several bags of Starburst from England, and I will gladly trade other sundries with you, like bottled water or ear plugs or something. They have lime Starburst in England, and we don't have that here!

I don't know if this is a tip so much as a request. :)

I'll trade you two packs of Starburst (or Opel Fruits as i still like to call them) for three boxes of Lucky Charms. Lucky Charms rule.

E-Rock, i'll bring you Marmite, in fact Marmite for everyone! No Silk Cut though, there disgusting!

JoeW88
02-06-2007, 01:04 AM
I'll trade absolutely anything from England (within reason) for some boxes of Lucky Charms. I might buy a whole other suitcase just to bring as many boxes back as possible.

bmack86
02-06-2007, 01:06 AM
Why would people eat Vegemite?

vinylmartyr
02-06-2007, 01:41 AM
They don't have Lucky Charms in England. Thats just silly.

Tomasz
02-06-2007, 06:45 AM
Come on, jolt cola and mountain dew are where it's at in the American food/drink stakes!

amyzzz
02-06-2007, 07:26 AM
I'll trade you two packs of Starburst (or Opel Fruits as i still like to call them) for three boxes of Lucky Charms. Lucky Charms rule.

E-Rock, i'll bring you Marmite, in fact Marmite for everyone! No Silk Cut though, there disgusting!

It's a deal! I'll be dragging around 3 boxes of Lucky Charms at the campground looking for you and your Starbursts. WTF is marmite?

Wait, do you want the little baby boxes in bulk, or just 3 HUGE boxes? This could get interesting.

Meadowsmeister
02-06-2007, 07:49 AM
marmite = god

starburst = god

starburst joosters (discontinued) = Heaven.

I'll gladly bring over english goodies if somebody gives me a list. like walkers crisps, shits on your lays anyday.

nic_ball
02-06-2007, 08:08 AM
Come on, jolt cola and mountain dew are where it's at in the American food/drink stakes!

Gotta say i'll be drinking my own body weight TWICE in Mountain Dew!!!!
love the stuff just don't sell it over here any more!!

Jake!
02-06-2007, 08:41 AM
It's a deal! I'll be dragging around 3 boxes of Lucky Charms at the campground looking for you and your Starbursts. WTF is marmite?

Wait, do you want the little baby boxes in bulk, or just 3 HUGE boxes? This could get interesting.

Im gona take a gamble and go for the huge boxes, the more the better! In exchange i'll up the starburst to SIX packets!

Marmite (im guessing) is your equilevent to vegimite.

FakePlasticMe
02-06-2007, 09:32 AM

You may laugh, but I kid you not, the singer's nephew wandered to the At Ease camp in 2004. He though we hadn't heard of them.

thaipod
02-06-2007, 09:40 AM
a tip: don't smoke in bed.

Meadowsmeister
02-06-2007, 10:17 AM
Gotta say i'll be drinking my own body weight TWICE in Mountain Dew!!!!
love the stuff just don't sell it over here any more!!

they sold it in the U.K? Never saw it in the northwest, or London...

nic_ball
02-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Yeah they did till about 8 years ago!! Then it just vanished, well the wait is nearly over.

SFChrissy
02-06-2007, 10:37 AM

close to 2 hours but you'll have traffic to deal with for sure!!!

Meadowsmeister
02-06-2007, 10:39 AM
Mountain dew is god.
they dont have tango in the states though, although they have it in LA in a place called 'the tudor house' the kings head also does a good full english.

Quentin
02-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Hehe, I love Mnt Dew. I drink some everynight. :DI hate the red and purple kind though >.<

E-rock
02-06-2007, 12:29 PM

I love that we're so far off topic now...lol.
Are Lion Bars the ones with wafers, chocolate and rice crispies? I went to Merry Old Blighty a few years back and I ate a whole box of them...I must have Lion Bars!!!

And yes, I did mean Vegemite. I buy it from the Scottish Heritage Shop from the Queen Mary. I just can't get enough Vegemite. Vegemite sandwiches, Toast and Veg, Chicken a la Veg...yummers.

invisiblerobots
02-06-2007, 12:52 PM
Vegemite has been banned in the US. Luckily the jar I have should last a good long time.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/061022/23/110ep.html

randy ricochet
02-06-2007, 02:19 PM
I love that we're so far off topic now...lol.
Are Lion Bars the ones with wafers, chocolate and rice crispies? I went to Merry Old Blighty a few years back and I ate a whole box of them...I must have Lion Bars!!!

That's Picnics. Lion bars are similar but have nuts and caramel in them.

randy ricochet
02-06-2007, 02:20 PM
We also have topics too!!!

Meadowsmeister
02-06-2007, 02:21 PM
i love topics

double deckers are my all time fav though

randy ricochet
02-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Oh yeah there's them aswell...not that keen. Starbars uset to be great

rhodez
02-06-2007, 02:42 PM
i need daime bar and cream eggs

randy ricochet
02-06-2007, 02:47 PM
dime bars are shite. Creme eggs are great though. Anyway we are English and talking about bloody chocolate bars...
We need to bring Boddingtons, Stella, Bullmers, Skol, Grolsch and a couple of Bacardi Breezers for the ladies!

E-rock
02-06-2007, 06:20 PM
I checked the vegemite story bt found this (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20641599-1702,00.html).

Anyway, Just wanted to say:
British Milky Ways kick American Milky Way's ass! They're so much more milkier. Oh, and Mars bars too...
And I might be the only American that loves Turkish Delight.

Okay, so if any of you guys can...
Pack of Silk Cut
Tiger/Picnic bars
Vegemite
Milky Ways
or Turkish Delight.

TY!

Tomasz
02-07-2007, 04:11 AM
Vegemite's an Australian thing as far as I know, they have it in neighbours.

They used to sell mountain dew here, but our version didn't have caffeine, the US version does :)

mad jack the hat
04-15-2008, 07:40 AM
i can still get star bars

mad jack the hat
04-15-2008, 07:42 AM
wont our chocolate melt in the la

KatieLyn
04-15-2008, 10:16 AM
you can't drink here... you are underage... 21 it is here... curfew is 12

Curfew is 11 in the desert for under 18.