PDA

View Full Version : The Good and the Bad

captncrzy
04-29-2008, 02:46 PM
First, I loved Coachella this year. It seems like GV really took some of our suggestions last year and implemented them...awesome that they listened. That being said, while things are still fresh in our minds...

I LOVED:

-Being able to bring in sealed water. Thank you so much for that.
-The extra water bottle recycle stand this year
-No lines! I only waited in line to get in on Sunday, and even then, it was only a few minutes.
-The Do Lab. Plenty of water and misters and nice circular setup.
-The seemingly extra groundkeepers this year, picking up trash
-The giant "lobby" with the lockers located there. Was so nice to grab my stuff on the way out rather than go back to the Gobi and THEN walk out. Also liked having the vendors out there-made the inside seem less crowded.
-Closing down the Outdoor early so there wasn't soundbleed to the main stage (and vice versa)

All in all, it seemed so much more organized. Really, excellent year guys. Thank you.

FOR NEXT YEAR:

-I don't know why, but it seemed like there were less trailer pottys this year. More please.
-I never saw a bathroom cleaner this year like I did last year. I remember the cleaners standing around the bathrooms last year and doing a great job of keeping them decent. As a result, those bathrooms got pretty nasty. Fortunately, I had my "p-standingup" things with me, so I never had to sit down. If you saw a green cardboard thing floating in a port-a-potty, that was me.
-Park and Ride. If there were giant air-conditioned busses waiting to pick me up during the day and after the show, I would pay for it rather than drive in. Would help keep the exiting the parking lot less of a crowdfuck.

Shitty happening of the weekend was the bullshit at the end of the night on Sunday with the lockers...waited for at least 1/2 hour to get my $20 deposit back before I just dropped my key off and left. Supposedly they were "waiting" for the wads of $20 bills to be delivered. I call bullshit. I think they were hoping people would just stomp off. In any case, I emailed them this morning and informed them that I expect my deposit to be refunded into my account since they weren't "prepared" to give everyone their deposit back, and haven't heard from them yet.

Senor Cardgage
04-29-2008, 02:55 PM
What, no Queen?

canexplain
04-29-2008, 02:55 PM
"-Closing down the Outdoor early so there wasn't soundbleed to the main stage (and vice versa)"
cpt, dont know if you saw Love and Rockets, but the lead guy said first on one song "guess we have a little competition out there, we will just crank it up" ... next song "well i guess this song is for roger waters" ... and then the next song "guess this one will have to be for Syd" ... seems he didnt agree with you on that one though (show via the at & t blue room online)...x****

amyzzz
04-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Roger Waters did not start until after Love & Rockets. His competition was the do lab, not Roger Waters. Love & Rockets was even late ending, but RW was later starting.

amyzzz
04-29-2008, 03:06 PM
Also, we tried lockers for the first time this year and LOVED it.

Big plusses were the lockers, the lobby, and the sealed, frozen water we brought in.

MarkO
04-29-2008, 03:14 PM
Good :
- laidback security (lady on Fri was v.pleasant),
- Sat night mainstage lineup (all time epic)
- weather,
- lockerchella,
- short lines at merch stand,
- Big Willies bbq :)

Bad :
- Parking clusterfuck. Srsly. FIGURE THIS FUCKING SHIT OUT. Delays are inevitable and expected but when you don't move for over an hour ........ ,
- Sunday lineup was so-so for the most part until MMJ/RW.
- I was slightly disappointed in the artwork tbh. SteamEngine > Steam Treehouse.
- Toilets weren't as clean as last year. The lobby toilets never had any sanitizer.

dethroned
04-29-2008, 03:48 PM
Good:
Weather
Mellow vibe without amped-up Rage or Tool fans; no obvious rudeness to earlier main stage performers.

Bad:
Need a shuttle for Parking Lot 5. It's waaaay too fucking far. And what was with the plague of grasshoppers?
Over-the-top security.
Inescapable cigarette smoke - was everyone smoking? I couldn't get away and came home reeking every night.
Still significant sound-bleed between stages.
Food didn't seem as good as previous years.

NoneForMeThanks
04-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Bad:

Inescapable cigarette smoke - was everyone smoking? I couldn't get away and came home reeking every night.
Food didn't seem as good as previous years.

RE: Smoking. YES! Apparently a few thousand people took up smoking during the last year and then decided to stand next to me all weekend.

RE: Food. I was addicted to the veggie corn dogs and the garlic fries. Try them next year.

CalmerThanYou
04-29-2008, 04:17 PM
I cant for the life of me figure out how they have EVERYTHING nailed, but the taxi situation is SO fucked. You have to walk over 2 miles to get a cab. its fucked.

everything else was epic.

lindseyb
04-29-2008, 04:47 PM
More signage for the parking lots. We could not find our car for almost an hour on Saturday. I know we weren't the only ones because a lot of people were wandering around and setting off panic buttons. Maybe number the sections or rows to make it easier to find where you parked?

whynotsmile99
04-29-2008, 05:00 PM
the weather got to me on Friday a bit. took some time to adjust to that. bit of a bummer.

Anyway....

Good:

less crowds. every day felt fine. I could be happily if this was the cutoff each day. no crazy cow heard like years past.

the vibe. Seriously, without Tool Or RATM dick head fans, the place was wonderful to be in this year

camping entrance to venue was easy, painless and the line moved very quick. though the most thorough check was on Sunday.

Do Lab Rocked my cock off again. I seriously love these guys. and the circus. I remember liking last years set up a bit more, but still a lot of fun.
production value on main stage was fantastic. Roger Waters was seriously the most brilliant production of music i've ever seen. Phenominal job adapting his show to the Coachella stage. When all the elements were firing at once, I seriously thought I was on another planet.

the incredible lights surrounding the venue. Please bring that back.
Excellent food services. I was nervous about eating curry at 1am on Sunday but had no problems. Everything I ate was fresh, delicious and good portions. Those artichoke chicken wraps were to die for.

Extra Wide video screens on the main stage

The Bad:
The lockers fucking sucked. period. I used them a lot less than I would have if they weren't so far away. They had a shit load more this year so I'm not suprised it moved, but otu of the venue is really damn far. Not helpful at all.

The non return of my favorite thing ever, the cloth tunnel where you had to crawl on your hands and knees...

why do they have to close camping parking after a certain time? I had to park far away after returning to the venue at around 2ish. What gives? I missed Man Man, assholes.

that seriously disturbed young man, bone thin wearing nothing but this wool short shorts thing. it was a hideous sight.

Maybe I was just tripping (i was) but the dance tent production value seemed weaker this year. I was only there for a few acts, mostly in the day, but even the night ones I peaked in looked sorta...meh. Last year I remember was insane so much shit happening. I remember how bright and colorful Justice was. This year we got some lasers and those beam lights. nothing special. The Sahara could use some bubbles, confetti, maybe some water or foam or something. Kick it up a notch.

I liked the art a bit more last year, but this year was still nice. Some big space could have been filled though.

could have used a bit more diverse musical lineup this year. Some reggae, some afro beat. Bonde De Rolo don't count.

keep sean penn or any other actors on a crusade off of the fucking stages. There should have been a Sean Penn tent or something where he could babble if you walked over to him. Please no Bono next year ranting about artic seals for 45 minutes before David Bowie, thanks

judila
04-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Good: The Do Lab rocked so hard it isn't even funny. Saved my life all three days.

Bad: Assanine parking lot attendants. I wanted to park near my friends in Lot 5 who had a trailer and were parked against the fence. I asked the guy nicely, he said "No." I asked why he said "I don't know." That was my invitation to just drive around him and park next to my friend. If you're going to say no, at least have a good reason. Lame.

amyzzz
04-29-2008, 05:14 PM
I finally figured out a way to beat traffic on the way in. Yay! I found the "secret" way to Lot 3.

uniform72
04-29-2008, 05:49 PM
I finally figured out a way to beat traffic on the way in. Yay! I found the "secret" way to Lot 3.

Congratulations. We're down to less then an hour from Palm Springs to parking lot.

M Sparks
04-29-2008, 05:56 PM
File this under good and bad...security.

They were totally inconsistant, but at least they were nice about it when they wouldn't let you in with something they let you in with the day before.

Still, I'd rather have them just have one set of rules all weekend, rather than change every day. And it would be nice if they made sense. My wife and I had these hand held battery fans that were TOTALLY dangerous- you could lose an eye. That was OK every day, but a 3oz mister bottle was not allowed on Saturday. Sunday, my wife just put a mist bottle in her pocket...they looked through her bag over and over, but never checked her pockets once in 3 days.

Saw tons of people with large-ish water bottles on Saturday, but they were taking them away on Sunday. However, I was allowed to bring FOUR small bottles.

Camping security was even weirder...I came through one line with a wagon load of stuff and got right through, but my wife got stopped for 5 minutes to look through one small bag on the next line. Also, I heard about people getting busted trying to hide weed and other drugs in elaborate places. BUT THEY NEVER ONCE ASKED ME TO EMPTY MY POCKETS! Why would anyone try to hide their contraband?

Oh, and we were very popular at the campground, because we apparently had the only tent stake mallet that didn't get confiscated.

But yeah, at least they were nice about everything. Security people at most venues are usually on a power trip. You could tell these guys were just trying to do their job.

unknown
04-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Shitty happening of the weekend was the bullshit at the end of the night on Sunday with the lockers...waited for at least 1/2 hour to get my $20 deposit back before I just dropped my key off and left. Supposedly they were "waiting" for the wads of $20 bills to be delivered. I call bullshit. I think they were hoping people would just stomp off. In any case, I emailed them this morning and informed them that I expect my deposit to be refunded into my account since they weren't "prepared" to give everyone their deposit back, and haven't heard from them yet.

There was absolutely no organization for the collection of keys so I highly doubt you'll receive your deposit back. Someone did return with a fat stack of 20's, at that point everyone reached their hand/key out and received a bill. We were able to make some extra gas money by buying a couple people's keys for 10 bucks - under 5 minutes later we doubled up.

captncrzy
05-01-2008, 07:53 AM
Actually, I got an email from Lou this mornign apologizing. The money is in my PayPal account.

wstsidela
05-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Lockerchella rules!!!

Basskitten85
05-01-2008, 08:53 AM
BATHROOMS were less then previous years it seemed like and they were cleaned WAY WAY WAY less. CAnt people shit inside the toilet not ontop of i t ??? Filthy people out there !!! Jeeze

uniform72
05-01-2008, 08:58 AM
Security has always been inconsistent and always will be. The thing that got me this year was the over-saturation of security (and police) in the Do-Lab. Seriously, do you really have to worry that much about hippies and ravers?

This was really bothering me but then I gave it more thought. GV was probably doing us a favor by having all that security. It's much better to have a kid in a yellow shirt tell you to put out your joint (happened to me for the first time this year) then have some cop confiscate it or write you up or even worse. If they were not looking out for us then they were looking out for themselves by minimizing police intervention and making themselves look good with the authorities. I don't actually mind supporting that cause.

Utopia12
05-04-2008, 03:08 AM
More signage for the parking lots. We could not find our car for almost an hour on Saturday. I know we weren't the only ones because a lot of people were wandering around and setting off panic buttons. Maybe number the sections or rows to make it easier to find where you parked?

Amen to that. It was actually an hour and 20 minutes for me. I was way too embarrassed to mention it until you showed the courage to do it. Saturday was the worst it ever was for me. I even made it a point to remember the appearance of one of the vehicles parked next to me to help me spot my car. It backfired. I had trucks (with camping passes) on both sides of me and they just wound up hiding my car in the dark. Sunday and Friday were fine for me, but proper landmarks in general are an absolute must and should be easy to come up with.

On balance, though, that one bad thing couldn't even dent the overall experience as a whole.

fiopadp7791
05-04-2008, 08:16 AM
What, no Queen?

or no Ugly either?... but I'm a little old school (and cliche' lol) with my references than you.

captncrzy
05-04-2008, 09:51 AM
I forgot to mention that the churros ruled this year.

TheWatcher
05-05-2008, 06:52 AM
The Good:

The crowds were smaller, the lines were shorter. Other than Saturday and Sunday after sundown, there was no comparison to previous year's crowds. I was able to get up front for most of the bands I wanted to see.

The lobby area with the lockers, ATM, etc was nice. I liked being able to get my stuff from the locker at the end of the night and leave, instead of fighting through the crowd.

The paths to the parking lot were widened greatly. I didn't feel like a farm animal.

Less smokers and drunks this year. It was the first year that I did not need to use my inhaler. The annoying drunks were mostly in VIP area.

The Do-Lab rocked. The DJs all sounded interesting. The Lucent Dossier show was amazing as usual.

There were plenty of misters.

The sound on the main stage for Roger Waters was excellent.

The food was decent. Lot's of vegan choices.

The drum thing was cool. It was fun to watch people drumming, even though I have no rhythm.

The "sonic forest" was fun.

There was less trash than usual.

Parking lot 5 was awesome! Long walk, but very short drive out of the lot.

The Bad:

There were less port-a-potties this year. Seemed like enough, since I didn't have to wait long, but I had to walk farther to find one.

Coachella turning into "Mini-chella"? The distance between the Main stage and the tents was smaller this year. I could see the main stage video screens from the tents. Sound bleed from the Main stage was worse.

There was less art, especially the interactive variety.

I missed the bike people.

The security was very haphazard. Friday and Saturday they were very lax, which was fine! But, on Sunday some kid with a power trip was instructing the other guards to check every little thing. It took about 5 minutes for someone to go through every pocket and cranny in my backpack. And, the guard seemed to have a cold. Maybe if the guards will be touching every item belonging to guests, the guards should be wearing gloves?

There was a definite lack of decent rock music, reggae and hip-hop.

The Ugly:

By Saturday morning, the port-a-potties were still usable, but the bathrooms with running water did not get cleaned at all, as far as I can tell. I wonder if they violated some health related laws.

The scheduling of the bands kind of sucked. On Saturday there was 4-5 hours where there was really nothing I wanted to see. After several hours in the hot sun, I finally left without seeing Portishead and Prince. Then, on Sunday there were like 6 bands I wanted to see within a 2 hour block of time.

The traffic control out of the venue was pretty bad. It seemed that the long line of cars was not moving out of the area, even when you were out of the lot. The police had only 1 lane not blocked off, which was in the opposite direction that we wanted to go. If they let people go out of the venue in the direction that they wanted, or at least have all the lanes open, traffic would move a lot faster.