PDA

View Full Version : ATTN Camping Veterans...

foto_synthesis
02-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Is there an actual "line" that forms to check into the camping area? Or is it just a herd of very patient people? :cool:

Should I just bring my tent and whatever else I need for immediate setup when first checking into camping? Or should I bring ALL of my stuff?

Here's my camping checklist. Am I missing anything:
-Tent (well ventilated and tall enough to stand up in)
-tent fans
-battery powered lanterns
-cooler
-air mattress (with battery powered pump)
-flag (to set my tent apart from the rest)
-sleeping bags
-snacks
-rubber mallet

*Hmm, I may have posted this into the wrong section.... dammit*

grossdale
02-02-2007, 03:43 PM
this is good for me thanks. I am new to Coachella.

tessalasset
02-02-2007, 03:53 PM
damn foto you are on top of the game! i was not nearly that prepared in 04.

tiffdud41
02-06-2007, 10:18 PM
yes, there is an actual line--or two--that forms to check in. and each time you leave and return with a bag or any equipment you'll have to get back in line so that the staff can go through your stuff to make sure you aren't smuggling anything in you're not supposed to have (alcohol, glass)

so, I'd say, park your car and load up all your crap (if you pack like me you'll be needing a wagon with sturdy, big ol wheels to haul all your stuff). that way you don't have to stand in line for two hours and make the long trek from your car to your tent ten million times.

as far as you forgetting anything:
-you might want something that'll provide shade in the morning hours so you're not just baking in the sun/your tent
-lawn chairs unless you prefer the ground/cooler
-ear plugs (if you want to sleep at night)
-toiletries, towels etc.

FromTheColonyOfBirchmen
02-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Last year there were 2 main line areas, the admissions line to the campground and the check in line. I recomend leaving all your gear in the car once you park then hop in the check in line where they'll give you parking pass and wristbands for admission to the campground; at this time you also choose the area you'll set up camp, they had this grid system kind of like Battleship. After the check in process you gotta put your parking pass in your car, this is what I found to be the perfect time to grab my supplies and get in the admission to the campground line. This line was seperated into 2 sepeate lines, luggage line and no luggage line. If you have bags or supplies of any sort (ie. sleeping bags, tents, coolers, backpacks, suitcases, boxes, ets.) this is where security checks for weapons, glass, alcohol, drugs, and other various no-nos. If you're not carrying any bags or stuff you can bpass the security search line with a wave of your wristband.

GTI_GRL
02-07-2007, 04:58 PM
-Freeze drinks (water/tea) = less ice
-Arrive early if you can = pre-8pm
-Ice chest with wheels if you have it or are going to buy a new one
-Lock for tent
-Towels
-Baby wipes - put in ice chest(feel great when you get back), and bring some inside venue
-extra batteries
-air mattress patches - just in case
-soap, shampoo, etc...

foto_synthesis
02-08-2007, 08:53 AM
Last year there were 2 main line areas, the admissions line to the campground and the check in line. I recomend leaving all your gear in the car once you park then hop in the check in line where they'll give you parking pass and wristbands for admission to the campground; at this time you also choose the area you'll set up camp, they had this grid system kind of like Battleship.

Does the admissions line start moving before the official campground check in begins?

york707
02-08-2007, 09:12 AM
They let you unload all your equipment before you park, so you don't have to carry all your shit from where you park to the line.

FromTheColonyOfBirchmen
02-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Does the admissions line start moving before the official campground check in begins?

After you check in and get your wrist banded you're free to come and go as you please from the campground, it's just that anytime you come back with a bag of something these suited creatures with flashlights check out what you got before they let you into the campground.

cuchulainn
02-11-2007, 01:10 PM
hey im flying into vegas and driving down, will i be able to pick up all the camping shit i need in palm springs or should i be trying to do it in vegas? does anyone know palm springs and the best place to go for coolers camping chairs etc??

gaypalmsprings
02-11-2007, 01:11 PM
WalMart Super Store in LaQuinta - not far from Coachella Fest

luckycortney
02-14-2009, 03:35 PM
You need to bring anything that can provide shade and you should bring a lot of water.

Personally, I have never used an air mattress, it takes up a lot of space and it is just more stuff that you have to carry. Another thing that I will suggest is to bring spray bottles. You can fill them with the melted ice water from your cooler and spary yourself to stay cool (it is amazing). A wagon is also useful if you are bringing a lot of stuff.

Also, towles are a must for both inside and out side of the venue. And lastly, chairs. Sitting is nice when it it really hot outside.

lickety_spit
02-14-2009, 11:27 PM
You need to bring anything that can provide shade and you should bring a lot of water.

Personally, I have never used an air mattress, it takes up a lot of space and it is just more stuff that you have to carry. Another thing that I will suggest is to bring spray bottles. You can fill them with the melted ice water from your cooler and spary yourself to stay cool (it is amazing). A wagon is also useful if you are bringing a lot of stuff.

Also, towles are a must for both inside and out side of the venue. And lastly, chairs. Sitting is nice when it it really hot outside.

i've never taken a towel inside the festival. the grass is comfortable enough. if you're afraid of grass stains, don't wear your sunday's best.

prettydirtything
02-15-2009, 02:50 PM
a terry cloth hand towel is key for cooling; dunk it your cooler or gatorade vendors tub and wrap it around your neck; it keeps the sun off and lowers the body temp.

An air mattress was key to a comfortable sleep; also I found electrical outlets (they had a cell phone charging station) to blow it up so I didn't even need a battery powered one.

scarey4477
02-15-2009, 06:22 PM
So - I presume they sell ice at the general store on site, correct? How many times did you have to refill your cooler? (i'm obviously not a veteran camper..).

We arrive Thursday afternoon and leave Monday morning. Seems like it will take a lot of ice - we are in the desert afterall.

Oh - and battery-powered lanterns - good idea! I hadn't even thought about that...so, we would've been totally in the dark after sun down.

cansei de ser sexme
02-15-2009, 06:32 PM
I had a pink and green towel around my neck all of last year and it was a great choice. I used it for so much.

lickety_spit
02-15-2009, 09:03 PM
So - I presume they sell ice at the general store on site, correct? How many times did you have to refill your cooler? (i'm obviously not a veteran camper..).

We arrive Thursday afternoon and leave Monday morning. Seems like it will take a lot of ice - we are in the desert afterall.

Oh - and battery-powered lanterns - good idea! I hadn't even thought about that...so, we would've been totally in the dark after sun down.

we get a small bag every day.

ivankay
02-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Some pictures of the line and other camping stuff from last year are here. (http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20068)

Stickjohn
02-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Hey I've been meaning to say how great your pics are.

ivankay
02-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Thanks.

piecechief
02-18-2009, 02:11 PM
yeah there is a line just bring as much stuff you can handle at the time because you'll have to carry it pretty far depending on what you get there. because when you leave to get more stuff you'll have to wait in the line again unless you can sneak pass the gaurds at the exits haha.

Drewski27
02-19-2009, 10:49 AM
do they allow flats of water bottles? like the costco kind? im also wondering about flasks . . . .

kingdumb
02-20-2009, 02:16 PM
ps the coolest thing to do is! FREEZE your water! i do it every year! its sooooo good! and its great to come home to after a day of sweatin your nuts off!

Stickjohn
02-20-2009, 04:24 PM
do they allow flats of water bottles? like the costco kind? im also wondering about flasks . . . .

Flats of water are fine in the camping area - flasks would be OK too if not glass and no alcohol.