PDA

View Full Version : Roger Waters: Greatest show in Coachella history!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

faxman75
12-04-2008, 09:11 AM
I cannot argue with Coachella being the perfect place to trip. My first hit in ten years and there was nothing more awesome than tripping at night on the polo fields. Nothing at all.

Bud Luster
12-04-2008, 10:17 AM
the division bell tour sounded like SHIT.

I'm not discrediting the rest of the floyd. gilmour and wright's on an island tour was beautiful. but come on, man. the division bell tour had a few moments (the comfortably numb solo comes to mind), but for the most part, the production was so incredibly overblown that it made it almost unlistenable. why the hell did they need a second drummer with a po-boy hat and a ponytail jumping around like an idiot?

roger waters in 08' was awesome.

I guess this is going to be one of those agree to disagree deals cuz I think exactly the opposite of this point. Of course this different than the rest of the discussion on this board where one person is 100% right and the other is 100% wrong. : )

HandBanana
12-04-2008, 12:07 PM
I cannot argue with Coachella being the perfect place to trip. My first hit in ten years and there was nothing more awesome than tripping at night on the polo fields. Nothing at all.

Seems like there would be TOO much stimulus.

Trick Loves The Kids
12-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Seems like there would be TOO much stimulus.

Yeah but it's all wonderful. If you spend a few minutes making sure you know what acts you're seeing, where your friends are, how you're getting home it's perfect because you're already at a music festival and you don't really have to worry about real life shit anyway. Like, someone calls you from work and you don't pick up because you're at a music festival, not because you're tripping face.

Also it's good because if you are even remotely capable of keeping your shit together then you'll look normal compared to some of the people that go to Coachella. I mean last year I walked in and immediately saw two hippies trying to convince a cop to pay them $5 to watch one of them do a backflip. What I'm saying is you really have to try super hard to get noticed/hassled by security.

higgybaby23
12-04-2008, 12:48 PM
coachella could be the perfect place to, at the very least, put a positive note at the end of my psychonautic career.

Pilgrim: You are probably already familiar with this equation, but anyhoo...

Set + Setting = Outcome of Your Trip

Set(Positive Coachella attitude) + Setting(The Indio Polo Field) = Awesome Trip

faxman75
12-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Yeah but it's all wonderful. If you spend a few minutes making sure you know what acts you're seeing, where your friends are, how you're getting home it's perfect because you're already at a music festival and you don't really have to worry about real life shit anyway. Like, someone calls you from work and you don't pick up because you're at a music festival, not because you're tripping face.

Also it's good because if you are even remotely capable of keeping your shit together then you'll look normal compared to some of the people that go to Coachella. I mean last year I walked in and immediately saw two hippies trying to convince a cop to pay them $5 to watch one of them do a backflip. What I'm saying is you really have to try super hard to get noticed/hassled by security.

Yep, that sums it all up.

I don't know that you can have too much stimulus. All I know is I never felt as incredible as I did tripping day 3 at coachella. I took the first two days to get comfortable with the people and the surroundings and by day three sunset boom, I dropped and and watched the clouds swirl into the mountains during my morning jacket and then waited for the waters set which was mind blowing.

I went to the bathroom near the sahara tent and saw loads of people that looked way more fucked up than me. It was freaky actually and then I realized I was too fucked up to even enter one so I just laughed at myself and walked away. I saw people out of their minds banging on the porta potty doors. I was tripping pretty hard and straight through to about 5am. The cops rolled up on us twice in their golf carts and it was hard not to jump up and panic. I did jump up and walk away once in fact. I never laughed so hard the rest of the night though. Good times.

shotglass75
12-05-2008, 09:46 AM
That story makes me want to try acid

CalmerThanYou
12-05-2008, 10:14 AM
I too did what fax did that day, and it was incredibly beautiful and the most awesome trip ive ever had.

morelifefucker
12-08-2008, 07:22 AM
dang, couldnt find any acid for waters but had a baggy of some dried up shrooms and was rolling pretty good. my jaw was litterally dropped in complete awe the whole show. i still get the chills thinking about that sunday night. i almost got ranned over by the people holding the ropes that held the pig. they were shouting "move, Move" but i couldnt figure out what the fuck they were saying. I was like "what?" luckily my friend yanked me away. was there jets flying over during the show? i kept thinking we were getting invaded. i was scared and happy as fuck the whole time. hope i can score acid this year. i`m in socal , does any one else in socal have prob`s scoring acid. where would be a good spot to stand in hopes someone will pass by and give me some acid?

coldstart
12-08-2008, 12:19 PM
The planes dropped Obama leaflets. It freaked me out too because neither of them were flying with lights and the leaflets looked like silvery powder as they fell so I thought we were getting dusted with some kind of drug. :P

patsfan5454
12-08-2008, 03:44 PM

Set + Setting = Outcome of Your Trip

Set(Positive Coachella attitude) + Setting(The Indio Polo Field) = Awesome Trip

well said

frozen pilgrim
12-08-2008, 03:53 PM
that was my theory regarding my potential de-retirement from psychedelics in 2009

pcarol
12-10-2008, 08:22 PM
how can you not be impress by roger water's show, simply amazing!!!

T-REV
12-11-2008, 12:39 AM
So ...what do we all attribute to this thread's longevity? I personally don't get it. Hmmmm...

Trudeau
12-11-2008, 04:10 PM
So ...what do we all attribute to this thread's longevity? I personally don't get it. Hmmmm...

Was a great performance.

RotationSlimWang
12-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Go stare at a disco ball, monkeys.

faxman75
12-11-2008, 08:29 PM
I thought that was what you did? You left Waters for Justice right?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-12-2008, 05:55 AM
Go stare at a disco ball, monkeys.

Dance Pole Monkey...Dance....(which is what you did at Justice funny enough)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/content/images/2006/10/17/monkey_pole_climb_lead_203x152.jpg

Dr.Strangeluv
01-25-2009, 07:05 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6V41qkhU-98&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6V41qkhU-98&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

frozen pilgrim
01-25-2009, 07:17 PM
leave this board immediately

Chemical2009
01-26-2009, 06:06 AM
Quadraphonic sound playing Dark side of the moon...... sublime! , but i think Daft Punk takes the spot at the top of the pyramid.

steve7268
01-26-2009, 01:07 PM
I remember, at the time, thinking that that was the best performance i had ever seen in my life (Waters).

Then i tripped during MMJ at the Chicago Theatre... oh my god....

Now, i will equate MMJ being better than Waters to the shrooms, for if i had been tripping for Waters like some around me were.. i dont know what i would have done.. There were many around me who i grew completely envious of as the show went on... For those who "just walked by and said meh", if you liked Floyd in the first place you would have been there in the front few rows after waiting FOREVER. That was part of what made it great, was the anticipation.. the moon slowly growing bigger and bigger, the little transistor radio on the screen being switched every few minutes to a new song... people went crazy over "you aint nothin' but a hound dog" for some reason.. hehe..

I don't know much about the availability of the stuff out there, was in the military as of last years show so i wouldn't have thought to look for it.. but i'm out now, and making my first trip back to southern cal from frrrrriiiigggiiddd Wisconsin.. Needless to say, come hell or high water, i won't be sober for this one no matter who the headliner is...

Crunchy Knuckles
01-26-2009, 01:19 PM
seen waters 4 times...and i can say that his performance at coachella was not the greatest. I've attended Coachella since 2001 and so far the GREATEST band performance yet, for me, was Radiohead in 2004!!!

weezy f baby
01-26-2009, 02:06 PM
I left Waters for Justice... but like after darkside as he started playing I think Brick In The Wall... I can't remember.

CalmerThanYou
01-26-2009, 02:08 PM
http://www.off-road.ge/forum/uploads/post-354-1210951634.jpg

CalmerThanYou
01-26-2009, 02:08 PM
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/images/eamonn/Pompeii01.jpg

BaronBedros
01-27-2009, 02:18 PM
For me it is a tie between the Waters show and Daft Punk. Both were fucking epic!

SP The Ghost
01-27-2009, 02:29 PM
I still don't regret my decision.

mschirmersf
01-27-2009, 02:49 PM
I don't think there is one show that's the best. There are so many magic moments in Coachella history. It just depends on if you were there to experience it. You can't be everywhere at once so you are going to miss a good show whether you want to or not.

bonerized
01-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Um yeah, I pretty much thought I was in a theatre for this show. And what was up with the magic pixie dust they dropped on us all? Life changing show all around and mind blowing in every way. Also, here's another photo my buddy took from that glorious evening.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g273/Leinies/IMG_1464.jpg

Trick Loves The Kids
01-27-2009, 04:12 PM
For me it is a tie between the Waters show and Daft Punk. Both were fucking epic!

Yeah I'm changing my vote to this to compensate for being sober at Daft and the exact opposite of sober at Waters

DruggyFestivalGuy
01-27-2009, 04:13 PM
Whoa dude

Jenniehoo
01-27-2009, 10:56 PM
I have to agree with this thread. I didn't think Roger Waters was going to blow my mind. I love Pink Floyd. I miss David Gilmour. I wasn't stoned. There were a billion reasons why this shouldn't have worked.

But it did. Rock on, Roger Waters. You're my favorite headliner of Coachella based on entertainment value and surprise alone.

Smokenut
01-28-2009, 02:12 AM
Rogers put on one of the most eventful Life Experiences ever!

RICHIE HAWTIN's MINUS CONTAKT SHOWCASE?

IF RICHIE CAME TO COACHELLA 2009?

FOR 10 YEAR COACHELLA CELEBRATION?

IT would be the greatest show ever!

or maybe Coachella 2006 Damien Jr. Gong Marley!

Grimlock
01-28-2009, 09:26 AM
LOL

Trick Loves The Kids
01-28-2009, 09:32 AM
Whoa dude

What's up man? You rollin'? Hey, do you know where I could get some more? Aww, alright. Thanks anyway, enjoy the rest of the festival.

Xenocide
01-28-2009, 09:50 AM
LOL

gooftroop
01-28-2009, 11:44 AM
I thought Portishead was even more stunning than Waters last year, especially if you strip away the theatrics and get down to the heart of the music. For instance compare the bootlegs. In terms of experience it is hard for me to choose though...seeing Dark Side performed in its entirety in such a setting was pure magic.

Portishead still performed way better IMHO. But what's the most fun I've ever had at any single Coachella show? Probably Justice -> LCD Soundsystem in '07...

SeptimusWarren
01-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Coachella '08 was Amazing.

KingofFlorence
01-29-2009, 10:19 PM
Roger Waters was unfuckingbelievable! And the sound was completley engrossing to boot!

Gogolicious
01-30-2009, 10:19 AM
Best show ever at the fest.

Shooters08
01-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Looks like no one will be at that caliber this year! Too Bad

Gogolicious
10-24-2009, 07:32 PM
This show man. This freaking show.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Axg7upCzLcU&hl=en&fs=1&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Axg7upCzLcU&hl=en&fs=1&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

ficklecycle
10-25-2009, 01:20 AM
I saw Roger Waters do this set at the Hollywood Bowl in Nov of 06 I believe. So I skipped Coachella, which I sort of regret. But then I had never seen Chromeo or SMD...

DaFunkyPrecedent
10-25-2009, 08:27 AM
you didn't miss much...he was lip singing.

Mammoth85
10-25-2009, 09:57 AM
you didn't miss much...he was lip singing.

I believe the term is lip syncing.

Dogvolta
11-02-2009, 07:16 AM
HE CHANGED THE FUCKING SKY, MAN!

Coachella Bound
11-02-2009, 07:40 AM
HE CHANGED THE FUCKING WORLD, MAN!

NickyRudy
11-02-2009, 06:37 PM
EPIC!!!

DaFunkyPrecedent
11-02-2009, 08:32 PM
I believe the term is lip syncing.

is it?! same thing none the less.

juloxx
11-02-2009, 08:50 PM
HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....

Oh, your not kidding. Don't get me wrong Roger was dope (had to split his show with Murs so I didn't see it all) but damn dog, did you even go to Coachella 07? Four words

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE You know that shit killed game

kroqken
11-02-2009, 09:15 PM
My Bloody Valentine was the best performance in Coachella history, not that dude from Pink Floyd, or anybody else, in my opinion.

LiKeBuTtAh !
11-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Yes! Epic in every way.
Noticing the satellite speakers encapsulating Coachella stage intrigued me and then to be encompassed by the 360' soundscape the during the set was the most fan-fucking-tastic thing ever! Even the intermission's rainforest/rainfall/whatev...prevented me from stepping one inch outside that world.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
11-04-2009, 11:56 AM
is it?! same thing none the less.

uh...wouldn't "lip singing" just be singing? The key word is SYNC

myfretsarestolen
12-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Roger Waters' Coachella performance was so inspiring I went back to college. I am now 6 months away from graduating. Thanks Goldenvoice

darthlaker
12-30-2009, 08:00 PM
2 words

Daft Punk

and if you think that roger waters was the best show in coachella history then you must have not seen that historic day in April in 2006 in the Sahara cause up to that point NOONE had seen anything like that!

lowfront
12-30-2009, 08:14 PM
Yes! Epic in every way.
Noticing the satellite speakers encapsulating Coachella stage intrigued me and then to be encompassed by the 360' soundscape the during the set was the most fan-fucking-tastic thing ever! Even the intermission's rainforest/rainfall/whatev...prevented me from stepping one inch outside that world.

thats too funny...

i went over during those s rainforest sounds and i had the same feeling....

i may lord this is sick

best mind fuck of my life that set was

greatest

laced_pancake
01-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Honestly, I walked by, stopped, and all I felt was... Meh.
i wasn't even there and i know you're wrong.

darkjustice
01-18-2010, 10:50 PM
great show