PDA

View Full Version : Roger Waters: Greatest show in Coachella history!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

frozen pilgrim
05-11-2008, 07:49 PM
my hatred for your stupid ass has nothing to do with your "taste" in music.
it has to do with your unfathomable, immeasurable ignorance.

TheFunkHole
05-14-2008, 11:17 PM
I was waiting for "The Epic Peformance" and Roger Waters brought a much needed closure to a fantastic festival. Thank you for balancing out the weekend's setlist with a truly magical show. The perfect culmination for Coachella.

Waters played the entire festival, not just the stage. The first 3d show I have seen, incorporating surround sound, and large scale theatrical elements. Wayyyyyyyy beyond anything else there, not to mention timeless music that will live on in eternity. It made me want to return to Coachella again.

Can't really say that about most of the other Coachella acts.

JUSTICE made for a good cherry on top.

As I was exiting the festival Sunday night I overheard someone say they couldn't really get into Roger Waters. *Sigh* I just don't get it. If you like music, you shoulda been in love with that show. However, I gues it just doesn't play well on the ritalin generation. For all those younger music heads, maybe you'll grow into it one day. I did.

indiekid89
05-14-2008, 11:31 PM
waters was the worst thing GV did for coachella.
i would have rather seen MC Hammer or someone else.

and actually DAFT PUNK WAS TRHE GREATEST SHOW IN COACHELLA HISTORY!!!
No doubt about it,
if y'all disagree then ur a FUCKTARD.

humanoid
05-15-2008, 12:40 AM
Where is Humanoid and Algunz?

sorry I missed the request a few days ago!!

Greatest show I've experienced at Coachella??...that's almost impossible to say...there have been so many amazing ones over the years...

I do have to say, Roger Waters was probably the greatest spectacle I've ever witnessed at the Polo Fields.....if I hadn't already seen him live twice in the last couple years, i would have been more blown away....not taking anything away from the show, it just wasn't new to me, so the excitement level was a little subdued....but it was still pretty awesome

I can't choose a favorite, so I'll just name several top performances that stand out in my mind..I'm sure I'm forgetting a few....but that happens

The Prodigy 2002.......could be my favorite

Sigur Ros 2001

Blonde Redhead-2001

Belle & Sebastian-2002

Elbow - 2002

The Polyphonic Spree- 2003

Arcade Fire - 2005........not 2007

Yeah Yeah Yeahs-2006

Gogol Bordello-2007.....another contender for #1

...and of course, Jupiter's Ring!!!!!!!

frozen pilgrim
05-15-2008, 04:35 AM

this has to be an alias.
I was JUST reading a post by this chick saying that she didn't want people's FLAC bootlegs, and also didn't want to convert them herself.
only mp3s for teh itunes using indie losers

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-15-2008, 05:49 AM
sorry I missed the request a few days ago!!

Greatest show I've experienced at Coachella??...that's almost impossible to say...there have been so many amazing ones over the years...

I do have to say, Roger Waters was probably the greatest spectacle I've ever witnessed at the Polo Fields.....if I hadn't already seen him live twice in the last couple years, i would have been more blown away....not taking anything away from the show, it just wasn't new to me, so the excitement level was a little subdued....but it was still pretty awesome

I can't choose a favorite, so I'll just name several top performances that stand out in my mind..I'm sure I'm forgetting a few....but that happens

The Prodigy 2002.......could be my favorite

Sigur Ros 2001

Blonde Redhead-2001

Belle & Sebastian-2002

Elbow - 2002

The Polyphonic Spree- 2003

Arcade Fire - 2005........not 2007

Yeah Yeah Yeahs-2006

Gogol Bordello-2007.....another contender for #1

...and of course, Jupiter's Ring!!!!!!!

Nice I saw out of those. Sigur Ros, Prodigy, B & S, The Polyphonic, Arcade Fire (both years)...I can't believe I found someone else who was there for that fantastic Sigur Ros performance...that was a Daft Punk in my book since I had NO IDEA what I walked into...

wolverine
05-15-2008, 10:10 AM
I was waiting for "The Epic Peformance" and Roger Waters brought a much needed closure to a fantastic festival. Thank you for balancing out the weekend's setlist with a truly magical show. The perfect culmination for Coachella.

Waters played the entire festival, not just the stage. The first 3d show I have seen, incorporating surround sound, and large scale theatrical elements. Wayyyyyyyy beyond anything else there, not to mention timeless music that will live on in eternity. It made me want to return to Coachella again.

Can't really say that about most of the other Coachella acts.

JUSTICE made for a good cherry on top.

Yup. Well said.

Blinken
05-15-2008, 10:42 AM
my hatred for your stupid ass has nothing to do with your "taste" in music.
it has to do with your unfathomable, immeasurable ignorance.

QFT, I hate Micro more than anyone else on the board.

humanoid
05-16-2008, 09:26 PM
Nice I saw out of those. Sigur Ros, Prodigy, B & S, The Polyphonic, Arcade Fire (both years)...I can't believe I found someone else who was there for that fantastic Sigur Ros performance...that was a Daft Punk in my book since I had NO IDEA what I walked into...

I was there for AF 2007 also, I just don't think it even remotely compared to 2005...but I still enjoyed it....

Wasn't the Sigur Ros show something like their first ever North American performance? luckily I had gotten into them shortly before Coachella, and was able to drag my friends to see them(I would've gone alone for sure though) it was absolutely awe inspiring....

Pixiessp
05-16-2008, 10:04 PM
only caught a little of the Waters show. don't get me wrong. I love Pink Floyd but it reminds me too much of high school and that was a horrific time for me.

g0k1ngsg0
05-19-2008, 05:41 PM
I'm working on a DVD project for Roger Waters using sin213's Audio (thanks sin!) so if anyone has any video they would like to contribute send me a PM or post it up in here. You can also use the AIM in my profile to contact me.

I especially need:
Have a Cigar
Southampton Dock
The Fletcher Memorial Home
Leaving Beirut
Sheep

everything else I have a complete video source for, but I'd love to use other footage if available. I've finished up "disk 2" already (dsotm +encores), but I'd really like to do a little bit more polishing before I post it.

Does anyone have a format preference? I was thinking of releasing a DVD5 and divx version. right now, "part 2" is 2.9gb in divx format (raw is 21gb+), not sure if I can get it to fit without compressing parts, so is DVD9 ok?

Here is Perfect Sense 1&2 in divx
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IAGN7FMC

Wish You Were Here (needs work)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y9TWQXB0

I also have a good amount of video for kraftwerk, Prince and Portishead (although pointles with the webcast ripped) that I may put together too if there ia any interest.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-19-2008, 06:18 PM
I was there for AF 2007 also, I just don't think it even remotely compared to 2005...but I still enjoyed it....

Wasn't the Sigur Ros show something like their first ever North American performance? luckily I had gotten into them shortly before Coachella, and was able to drag my friends to see them(I would've gone alone for sure though) it was absolutely awe inspiring....

Yes sir! 1st NA performance ever....

g0k1ngsg0
05-19-2008, 07:40 PM
nevermind, edited my other post.

thestripe
05-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Taken from Rollingstone about the history of the flying pig. I just took the part about Coachella.

So what happened at Coachella, when the pig escaped, the festival's promoters offered a $10,000 reward for its return and a chunk of it showed up on somebody's driveway?
Roger Waters: I had this idea in Coachella, and I ran it past the promoter and the local community, which was to drop confetti from an airplane onto the crowd — confetti that had the word Obama written on it, and with a box with a checkmark in it. You know, just to show my support for Barack Obama, not just in this campaign for the Democratic nomination, but also for November. Because this man could prove to be something of a savior for this great nation. Anyway, they said, "Absolutely not, you can not drop confetti. You can't. You would make a mess. Forget it!" So we did it, we had planned to drop a ton of confetti — I think he was a bit of a maverick, this pilot. He dropped about 70 or 80 pounds of confetti, which of course missed the site and ended up in people's swimming pools and they ended up complaining, filters and motors were clogged! And I apologized profusely because they need keep a good relationship with the local community because it's a great festival and it would be a shame if it got screwed up. So they sent out like 100 teams to clear up people's pools. I think that to some extent [the reward] was a PR thing, they said, "We'll give you $10,000 if you find the pig." I think it was a diversionary tactic, but it actually was great because these two separate people found two separate bits of pig, one draped over a bush and one was like in their dust bins, and their children said, "Have you seen any plastic around with some graffiti on it?" and they said "Yeah, we put it in the trash!" And they said, "Get it out 'cause it's worth 10 grand!" And the story that I had heard was that one of the women who found this stuff was actually wearing a Wish You Were Here T-shirt, which is quite synchronistic.

wolverine
06-02-2008, 12:56 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5USPw5ll4rY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5USPw5ll4rY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

rage patton
06-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Taken from Rollingstone about the history of the flying pig. I just took the part about Coachella.

So what happened at Coachella, when the pig escaped, the festival's promoters offered a $10,000 reward for its return and a chunk of it showed up on somebody's driveway?
Roger Waters: I had this idea in Coachella, and I ran it past the promoter and the local community, which was to drop confetti from an airplane onto the crowd confetti that had the word Obama written on it, and with a box with a checkmark in it. You know, just to show my support for Barack Obama, not just in this campaign for the Democratic nomination, but also for November. Because this man could prove to be something of a savior for this great nation. Anyway, they said, "Absolutely not, you can not drop confetti. You can't. You would make a mess. Forget it!" So we did it, we had planned to drop a ton of confetti I think he was a bit of a maverick, this pilot. He dropped about 70 or 80 pounds of confetti, which of course missed the site and ended up in people's swimming pools and they ended up complaining, filters and motors were clogged! And I apologized profusely because they need keep a good relationship with the local community because it's a great festival and it would be a shame if it got screwed up. So they sent out like 100 teams to clear up people's pools. I think that to some extent [the reward] was a PR thing, they said, "We'll give you $10,000 if you find the pig." I think it was a diversionary tactic, but it actually was great because these two separate people found two separate bits of pig, one draped over a bush and one was like in their dust bins, and their children said, "Have you seen any plastic around with some graffiti on it?" and they said "Yeah, we put it in the trash!" And they said, "Get it out 'cause it's worth 10 grand!" And the story that I had heard was that one of the women who found this stuff was actually wearing a Wish You Were Here T-shirt, which is quite synchronistic.

Man... I wish that Confetti had actually hit the grounds. That would have been awesome. Also, that is a really cool story.

Wheres the beef?
06-02-2008, 03:17 PM

and actually DAFT PUNK WAS TRHE GREATEST SHOW IN COACHELLA HISTORY!!!
No doubt about it,
if y'all disagree then ur a FUCKTARD.

:thu jackass

Ey3con
06-05-2008, 02:28 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y4Dntp7Oddk&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y4Dntp7Oddk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

VirtualRog
06-18-2008, 11:52 PM
lol. Berlin was crap compared to this. Talk about butchered parts. Anyone who thinks Berlin was superior has suffered some surt of brain trauma. By the way, you do realize that Waters wrote 90% of the music for the Coachella setlist, right?

Once again, wolverine, your posts show you obviously know more about Roger than most of the posers here.

Berlin was cool...massive...Coachella was a dot compared to Berlin...I was lucky we got into the bleachers on the side...at the last minute, someone came up with both backstage and soundcheck passes, along with bleacher seats next to the stage. My cousin even took a brick home to Los Angeles(after a LONG battle with the airlines).

Berlin has been referred to as the The Cavalcade of Washed-Up Burn-Outs, but the scale was unprecedented and offered many delights.

But Coachella was VASTLY superior musically. Rick DiFonzo was great in Berlin, but Dave Kilminster is a better musician. And Lili Hayden's violin solo during Confortably Numb alone was worth the price of admission.

I don't know what The Last Great Man's problem is (too much acid? Maybe not; I've probably dropped more than he has and I'm not that big a jerk), but Roger's set was mind-blowing, not just the pig and the smoke and the backdrop footage...musically he nailed it.

As I've stated, ad-nauseum, I could have done without Leaving Beirut, but what can you do? Roger is Roger, and the more you hate it, the more he'll play it.

Welcome to the Machine, hands down Roger's best live song, would have been nice, but we still got Have a Cigar, In the Flesh, Sheep, part of Shine On, etc.

As far as Roger's solo set lists, In the Flesh was the best, followed by KAOS, then Pros & Cons, then DSOTM...but Pros & Cons had the best visuals, by far, even better than DSOTM

As far as Roger's work with PF, 1975's Raving & Drooling was still the best tour, by far, followed by Animals in '77, then The Wall in LA in '80, where I saw all seven shows, then the original 1972 DSOTM tour (Hollywood Bowl).

But know THIS:

Anyone that got to see Roger Waters at Coachella is lucky; it was awesome.

Anyone that thinks it was crap is a clueless moron, or took too much acid.

Xenocide
06-19-2008, 03:23 AM
Originally Posted by indiekid89

now that you mention it, mc hammer closing out the outdoor theatre would be EPIC!

frozen pilgrim
06-19-2008, 05:40 AM
mc hammer and uffie w/ dj shaggy 2 dope for 2009!

Trick Loves The Kids
06-26-2008, 08:28 PM
bump

PC-2 Violence
06-26-2008, 10:58 PM
Roger Waters show was amazing. So much positive energy! It was way more than I expected and it was great.

Grant
06-29-2008, 07:54 PM
This year was so good. Prince, Roger Waters, Portishead, and Kraftwerk-- I really wish I could've made it.

I know my post doesn't fit here, but seeing it made me realize.

Tijuana
07-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Roger Waters show was amazing. So much positive energy! It was way more than I expected and it was great.

The positive energy was the best part. I saw the same show in Irvine last year, and it was also an awesome show... but the energy of the crowd was way different... the young and old crowd mix @ Coachella was great... Everybody was standing or sitting down with an amazed look on their faces.

Boourns
07-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Roger Waters was more than worth the price of Sunday admission alone.

Good thing too, because I saw little else Sunday due to exhaustion/conflicts/laziness.

Seriously, it was one of the greatest things I've ever witnessed. I only wish that all sets at Coachella (or anywhere) could have sound that crystal clear.

kris-ko
07-01-2008, 10:02 PM
2 months after the fact, but for what it's worth...

Made my way over from Oz for a 6 week USA trip ending @ Coachella, and I've got to say - absolutely fucking amazing event which wipes the floor with any of the 50+ festivals I've ever been to in Australia, Ultra in Miami, Benicassim in Spain or Love Parade in Berlin.

Roger Waters' set is the greatest thing I have ever seen, beating Flaming Lips @ Big Day Out, beating Underworld at the Hordern Pavillion in Sydney, and just topping Prince and Portishead the night before as set of the festival.

The surround sound, the visuals, the plane dropping the confetti, the disappearing pig, the Pyramid/laser were magic - and the songs had me and my girl in tears on more than one occasion. I doubt I'll ever see anything to top it...

To see 3 of my favourite 5 gigs at the same event on the other side of the world is going to take some topping - you guys are fucking lucky to have a festival this good in your back yard.

If they announce a Kyuss reunion for next year I'll be on the first plane over...

wolverine
07-05-2008, 02:55 PM
2 months after the fact, but for what it's worth...

Made my way over from Oz for a 6 week USA trip ending @ Coachella, and I've got to say - absolutely fucking amazing event which wipes the floor with any of the 50+ festivals I've ever been to in Australia, Ultra in Miami, Benicassim in Spain or Love Parade in Berlin.

Roger Waters' set is the greatest thing I have ever seen, beating Flaming Lips @ Big Day Out, beating Underworld at the Hordern Pavillion in Sydney, and just topping Prince and Portishead the night before as set of the festival.

The surround sound, the visuals, the plane dropping the confetti, the disappearing pig, the Pyramid/laser were magic - and the songs had me and my girl in tears on more than one occasion. I doubt I'll ever see anything to top it...

There's no doubt about it.

RotationSlimWang
07-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Jesus Christ, do you do anything on this board besides hang around to heap undeserved praise on a fucking smoke and mirrors magic show?

boarderwoozel3
07-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Your tripp'n! Waters' set was ok but not better than Prince & Portishead the night before. That pairing is only second to Pixies & Radiohead in '04.

Sans confetti and lights, Beth had me in a state of total-fucking-awe. And then Prince was Prince "Co-a-chella! I am here!" So fun.

A much better time than hearing some old man yap about some arabic family he met on a road trip. His "show" was fine with all the bells and whistles but thats about the only thing holding up an otherwise boring performance.

frozen pilgrim
07-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Jesus Christ, do you do anything on this board besides hang around to heap undeserved praise on a fucking smoke and mirrors magic show?

it WAS magic, man. it was a co-ordinated, rehearsed, multi-sensory assault designed to play such intense trickery on the brain that it changes your perception of what's happening.

that's what truly psychedelic music of any genre is. whatin the fuck do you think justice was? a smoke and mirrors (and flashing cross) and french people in leather jackets and sunglasses show

RotationSlimWang
07-06-2008, 11:01 AM
If you're gonna play instruments and sing you should be able to do one of the two remotely well. It's way easier to be Justice, sure. Doesn't change the fact that they were banking on no one noticing how horrible their performances were because they knew that everyone would be too distracted by the shiny bullshit to notice or care that no one was doing their fucking jobs.

You people are embarrassing.

frozen pilgrim
07-06-2008, 11:04 AM
I look forward to the day when the lsd-induced duality in your psyche causes a massive internal meltdown and you develop full-blown schizophrenia.
have fun running deeper down your rabbit hole, buddy.
death's still the only thing waiting for you.

RotationSlimWang
07-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Whatever, dude. You twerps can keep running and hiding under the preposterous "you didn't hear how good the music was because you were on acid" argument even though it's so absurdly contrary to how acid is you sound like complete retards. What's really pathetic is that even with a head full of acid I was still more discerning than all you soberish people. You all gladly let the pretty lights and stupid stunts blind you, like a bunch of dumb hicks enthralled by blowing stuff up or setting crap on fire. Lamebrains.

frozen pilgrim
07-06-2008, 11:16 AM
and you're so fucking retarted you actually believe that LSD is a "superior" state of mind. you don't believe in intoxication, which is your downfall. you'll never be a gonzo journalist, because you fundamentally misunderstand the concept.
drugs don't make you smarter. they make you more or less or different or things that can't be explained with words. but they don't make you SMARTER.
like I said.
have fun when your fragile duality comes crashing down.

RotationSlimWang
07-06-2008, 11:21 AM
No, you goddamn idiot. LSD is not a superior state of mind. What it does is make live music sound way better than it is and obviously trippy visuals are really easily impressive. But what it couldn't do was manage to cloud my perceptions enough to ignore what a pathetic sham that show was. The point is that it reveals how little you know about the subject when you seriously suggest I heard a worse performance than there really was because of acid. That's just idiotic.

frozen pilgrim
07-06-2008, 11:28 AM
no, it does not make everything sound "better".
lsd isn't a one sided coin.

RotationSlimWang
07-06-2008, 11:42 AM
I've never ever ever known acid to make music not sound better. Ever. Are you going to claim that it doesn't always sound better on ecstasy too, 'cause you really might as well get WILDLY full of shit since you've come this far. Or should I just post some youtubes of the Sing Along Headliner?

RotationSlimWang
07-06-2008, 11:46 AM
HE'S NOT EVEN REMOTELY FUCKING IN TIME WITH HIS OWN GODDAMN SONG. HOW CAN YOU ASSHOLES DEFEND THIS SO BLINDLY.

n3Sp9mv3NOg

RotationSlimWang
07-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Re-writing the Waters section of my article made me pissed off again. So I'm just gonna post the several pages it covers, and you can all suck an inflatable pig dick.

At long last, figures walk out onto the stage and the applause is deafening but I can detect an odd insistence in the claps and cheers. The adulation is less than affectionate, it's almost demanding. Waters and his much younger replacement musicians launch into In The Flesh with hammers marching into dissolves on all three screens, and I'm so excited that my moment has arrived I forget all about the badness around me. Surely, their negativity will be absorbed and transformed into peaceful satisfaction by the power of arguably the best music ever written. But when Waters steps up to the mic and rolls out the bombast of the opening lyric there's no bombast. It doesn't sound like it's supposed to sound at all. I know he's gotten older and lost his voice some in recent years, but I was sure he'd either have taken special care of his throat for such a high-profile show, or even just mostly lip sync to an appropriately full backing track. Yes, I had decided I was fully willing to accept lip syncing as long as the mix had the booming vocals I love… but he's actually singing instead.

That is, to the extent that you can call it singing. In truth, he's kinda just shouting out each word without much tune and absolutely no extending of any note—every syllable lasts just one moment then dies croaking, regardless of how long they're supposed to be stretched to fit the music. My terror escalates when the first grandiose guitar wail comes out of the speakers wrong too. A piece like In The Flesh has as huge of a guitar part as any song you can find, it should be practically effortless and irresistible as a lead guitarist filling in for David Gilmour to try to do his work justice and really play the shit out. But the guy replacing Gilmour barely even seems interested in being here, cutting the life of the notes a little short as well and completely lacking any of Gilmour's soul. Despite Waters's massive surround sound speaker set up, this guy manages to make what should be massive, soaring chords come out drastically softer than on the albums. He also looks egregiously twattish, for some reason feeling the need to perform in a leather vest with no shirt on underneath so that everyone can see his pathetic 40 year old's bird chest, and the trademark old rocker's ratty version of long dyed black hair failing to exude much rock n' roll through all the obvious male baldness.

It becomes quickly evident to me that not only can't Waters sing, in fact NONE of the band can sing. When they all chime in for a harmony it's the most underwhelming vocal styling I've heard all weekend. I try very hard to just let the acid take over and focus on the pretty images on the screens but to no avail. This douchebag guitarist won't stop half-assing his way through some of my favorite pieces of music and when he takes on Gilmour's vocal parts I can feel my soul die a little with every word. Waters has been ravaged by time indeed, many lightyears from the captivating frontman he proved he could be even without Floyd in such historic appearances as 1980's epic performance of The Wall from Berlin. When he tries to be energetic and hop around the stage in time with the music he ends up just looking like an angry geriatric, feebly stomping on his front porch while yelling at some neighborhood kids with a horse voice that might as well be a death rattle. The first of three acts concludes—mercifully—with the release of the famous inflated pig. It's led out from the side of the stage by a string like a giant kite, makes a small loop around the front of the crowd right over our heads, and finally is let go right in front of the stage. By this point I'm thoroughly disgusted with the whole spectacle and can't even enjoy the mediocre rendition of Sheep. This ancient son of a bitch who I admired so deeply thinks that we won't notice as long as he throws enough smoke machines and trippy projections and big inflated distractions at our drug-addled senses.

As the pig drifts upwards, the eco-friendliness of Coachella that had been so prevalent this year is shattered by two gigantic flamethrowers on each side of the stage belching 40-foot fireballs into the air. For a split second it looks like one of the blasts might actually hit the pig and I yelp with excitement, imagining how wonderful it would be to see this parade float—now a floating symbol of the pure arrogance of musicians who dare abuse the love of their audience and attempt to deceive our intoxicated minds—catch fire. Just at one ear, small at first. It would continue to float up for a second or two, perhaps just to get positioned entirely over the pit of the crowd on the other side, and then the flames would spread and open up a measurable hole and it would begin deflating as fire engulfs the whole torso. All those screams of applause coming from underneath the pig (yes, despite the wretched performances this crowd is eating it up with a spoon) would quickly turn into screams of terror. Hundreds of people too tightly packed to make an escape have no option but to be slowly covered with a deadly blanket of burning plastic swine. Sadly, the flamethrowers manage to narrowly avoid Waters's oinker, and I'm stuck having to wait through another creepily silent giggling intermission just staring up at the balloon escaping farther and farther into the sky.

Only two other people in the group aren't surprised by my rapid apologizing for having hyped this show. The rest exclaim enthusiastically about the pig, fireballs, and the small single-propeller plane now coasting over the polo fields releasing a downpour of thousands of leaflets urging us to vote Obama. I'm not even sure I can make it through the second act—Dark Side beginning to end—when I realize the level of disappointment that will come with these dorks' renditions of Time and Eclipse. But with an hour still to go until Justice comes on and a huge crowd stretching back as far as I can see, it turns out I'm not yet heartbroken enough to want to attempt navigating the dense throng. The image of a bright, full Moon slowly grows larger and larger at the back of the stage, finally filling the entire screen before Waters comes back out and they launch into Breathe.

It doesn't even take ten minutes to decide that no matter what happens I'm bolting at the end of the album. Unfettered by distractions like talented music, I try to hypnotize myself out of noticing every little nuance of failure, instead drifting into the kind of dramatic reflection that only feels natural when hallucinating. I glare up at Waters with genuine scorn for a man who only a few hours earlier I held in the highest esteem. Clearly no artist is safe from the ravages of age stripping away their honor and ability. No, ultimately they're all destined to either grow bald and saggy while touring arenas playing middle-age friendly adaptations of rock music, or if you're like Waters and your music has stayed somewhat timeless you have the option of selling the kids a two and a half hour exhibition of smoke machines and lessons in pretending to play instruments along to pre-recorded tracks. I will never have Pink Floyd, never Woodstock, none of it. None of the music that has had the strongest impression on me do I ever have a chance of seeing played live and leaving satisfied since Floyd are relatively young for classic rock, so I have to assume the elder heroes probably decompose on stage.

At the end of Eclipse a 25 foot tall black pyramid starts pushing out through the high rafters of the main stage ceiling. The edges come alive in a bright, white LED glow and it starts to spin as it extends over the crowd. During what should have been a slam dunk for the top three musical climaxes I've ever witnessed, this giant light-up reproduction of the prism on the cover of Dark Side actually spurts out a laser array that perfectly replicates the white light entering on one side and exiting a tri-color rainbow. 50,000 people all scream and cheer at the pretty lights which apparently more than make up for the ugly sounds, and it hits me: Coachella found out we're all actually just brainless lightshow monkeys. The hysteria over Daft's appearance in '06 must have made them sit up and take notice that since their festival draws a significant crowd just by virtue of what a pretty place it is to trip. They might not need to worry so much about the size of the acts as long as the acts have really well-hung lighting rigs. What fiendish bastards to spend years designing such a Mecca for dilated pupils only to turn around and use our ocular sensitivities against us by sneaking sub-par talent in behind a horse-and-pony-and-pig-fireworks show.

Looking up at the lasers radiating across the expanse of the polo fields while 50,000 monkeys cheer their own deception for almost ten minutes, a profound hopelessness wraps around me. It's not Waters that pains me so now—it's how blatantly obvious my lifelong dream that this generation of mine would bring about another cultural revolution… it never had a chance. As a teenager I hated my peers for not displaying any of my instinctive hatred for authority figures and adults in general. Now twenty five years old, I still see no evidence of the spark of youthful rebellion anywhere. It looks like even if I did get a full revolution in swing the powers that be could stop my mob cold without riot control weapons at all—a few hundred lava lamps would probably appease these sheep. Perhaps I could have been a great man in a time of upheaval, but instead all my brethren were busy buying their fifth iPod, hoping they don't forget how to read before another Harry Potter comes out, and getting more upset about vapid bitches on reality TV than the lying, mass-murdering, shitkicker fuck up President.

I wait until the cheers have mostly died down before quickly informing the crew I can't take it and I'm going to Justice. I barrel out into the endless crowd and quickly slow down because I'm tripping much, much harder than I realized and there are lots of people sitting in the shadows on the ground. One of the girls catches up with me despite being so fried she barely looked at the stage all show, just gazed in wonder up at the stars in a distant corner of the night for over an hour. Guiding her through the dense jungle of wastoids slows me down dramatically seeing as even when holding my hand she can't help walking directly into every one of the several hundred sitting persons we pass. After 20 minutes of squeezing and nudging we've almost made it 200 yards from where we started when Another Brick In The Wall's unmistakable bass line kicks in out of nowhere. Instinctively, we both spin back around and make little happy noises 'cause we're excited and the screens are real pretty, but one verse in we both simultaneously turn to each other and shake our heads "no."

We swing by the bathrooms on our way to Sahara, noticing the madness going on with the spotlights on this side of the festival. With the exception of one or two songs, coordination between Waters's show and the spots was curiously absent. As soon as his set wraps though they come alive stronger than ever before, blinking and swooping through the sky in dozens of formations, and always ending with each spot snapping into position to meet in the sky at one single point. But this time that point of convergence is clearly over the Sahara, nowhere else. We're also besieged by a full, swirling barrage of red, blue, purple, and yellow mini-spots, like multi-colored versions of the siren lights on cop cars except surrounding us and aimed to flash across the eye level of everyone in the crowd from every direction. Despite the letdown of Dark Side, we're both still VERY much on exceptional acid, and I can confidently say that I've never been more impressed with this festival or more excited to see an act I don't actually like as I am standing just outside the Sahara waiting for the finale of Coachella 2008 to begin.

When they come out it becomes evident that Justice's set is not just coordinated with the spotlights—there has been a serious effort to fully choreograph this performance. Every single measure features perfectly timed skyward reciprocations of the blinding patterns of tungsten flashes around Justice's trademark Marshall stacks. For several minutes I try to reconcile my dislike for these Frogs and their house with the simple fact that Justice saved Sunday night from what would have been the saddest ending in my Coachella history. But this spectacle of overindulgence in light combined with some decently catchy beats and pleasantly strong vibrations from all that distortion add up to a perfect antidote to my dismay with Coachella and music in general.

"… Alright, fine, I give up. We're lightshow monkeys. Apparently Pink Floyd and playing instruments are out. And all that's left in the future is electronic imitations of those instruments. And dance music. Raving—in 2008 no less. I never would have imagined back in the 90s that come 2008 I'd be chased away from Roger Waters and have to take sanctuary in a dance tent. 'Cause the culture that popularized glowsticks will always win a contest to see who can wave prettier lights in our faces. When all is said and done, 2008 wasn't about Prince, Waters, Justice, or even Portishead. This one will be recorded as the year Coachella revealed a weapon that will insure no matter who performs—even house robots and prog-rock has-beens—it will always be Coachella itself that controls the real lightshow.

It's a truly comforting thought, superficial as it may seem. This festival is a frighteningly big part of my life and I have such deep trust bordering on blind faith that Paul Tollett will always be looking out for me. Even if sometimes the headliner turns out to be a wank—out of nowhere, Coachella will swoop in and feel the need to remind your doubting ass just where you are. And so you lie down and stare up into the pitch black of the night sky, and you remember. Coachella is where the vast expanse of outer space is just a canopy for the polo fields. Coachella is where they decide God really could've made the heavens more entertaining than a few twinkling stars. Coachella is where they correct His mistake.

Every Day Since

This is a recurring issue I have with writing about this festival—there's inevitably nothing really worth saying about anything that happened after the last performance of the weekend. Of course there were some barely notable moments later that night, and leaving the next morning proved the same kind of poignant but not exactly revelatory experience it always does. It is infinitely sad to realize that in a more perfect world a place like Coachella could perhaps exist every weekend, or at least more than a couple brief, fleeting days a year. But as much as the aging process takes its toll on us and makes us all long so desperately for the days we can never have back—when love was still promising, when drugs were still the unknown, when rock and roll meant something—there's something deeply reassuring about the sad culmination of this year.

Because there is no going back. We need never try to take solace in the greatness that came before us. In truth, we can not even when we try. Their music can not be made ours just by bringing it into our time, its reflection will never shine quite the same by comparison. For better or worse, a music festival only thrives when fueled by the creations of today. They can say that youth is wasted on the young, but we are wasted and we are young. And all that the past can ever be now is a sample. For when the old ones, already both losers and lost, try to feed us their pretensions we will throw them back.

We will take their smoke and mirrors, we will take the history they made and we will digitize it, cut it to pieces and put it back together into a new shape that is ours. Any shape we can think of, just as long as it's new. And we will dance without care, without fear that we might fail to change the world because we know better than to think the world belongs to us. Only the music belongs to us. So you can keep the dark side of the moon, keep the whole fucking thing—and we will march happily to worship at the altar of the beat, and some day Coachella will make your moon into just another glowstick for our amusement.

ShyGuy75
07-06-2008, 11:54 AM
RSW just got scared during Waters and had to run to the soothing sounds of the button pressing light show for sanctuary.

RotationSlimWang
07-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Actually I just had to get out of there. Sorry that I don't care for being insulted by a deliberately phoned in performance. The fact that 99 percent of you chumps didn't even notice or care is what really made it annoying. They think they can dupe us... and they're right.

frozen pilgrim
07-06-2008, 12:09 PM
yeah. you're like hunter s. thompson, except without the life experience, without the inexplicably sharp, brutally humanistic insight, without the flow, and without the baseline writing talent.
you're a decent writer, but you're not nearly good enough to try and feed people that kind of chest thumping bullshit at the end. it was a perfectly acceptable review until you started trying to validate your experience with that crap about the past becoming just another glowstick for our amusement. for one, that's a half-baked metaphor at best. second, for someone who spent the article complaining of unfounded arrogance and lackluster performances being covered up with smoke and mirrors, you're very quick to validate the use of the same tactic elsewhere (i.e. justice).

can someone else on this board tell me why I'm even bothering? randy just decides he has to crusade for or against something, to the end of his psyche's cohesion- led zeppelin playing, roger waters being amazing, roger waters sucking, led zeppelin playing (again)...

it's just more proof of what I was talking about- this ticking time bomb of a fractured consciousness that is bobandy. he must enforce and unswervingly uphold any fragment of his point of view that he feels is representative of what's "right" or "wrong". snowballing thoughts. it's symptomatic of psychedelic overuse.

randy bobandy's rabbit hole comes out of the edge of a cliff.

RotationSlimWang
07-06-2008, 12:13 PM
I don't know why you're bothering either. I also don't know how the fuck you don't get it. Cognitive dissonance I suppose. Also, you realize that everything you've posted for the last two days or so has had a completely random and incoherent sentence or two slipped into it, right? The obedient little well-trained lightshow monkey is trying to talk like people.

QkFketgmHig&feature=related

Skip to 3:30. I would like somebody--Wolverine, since you're such a fucking fanatic--to explain to me how you possibly justify defending that desecration of a guitar solo. He wasn't even trying.

ShyGuy75
07-06-2008, 12:13 PM
They think they can dupe us... and they're right.

I came

wolverine
07-06-2008, 12:45 PM
I've never ever ever known acid to make music not sound better. Ever. Are you going to claim that it doesn't always sound better on ecstasy too, 'cause you really might as well get WILDLY full of shit since you've come this far. Or should I just post some youtubes of the Sing Along Headliner?

Wasn't your name something else before, making the same exact forced and incorrect argument?

wolverine
07-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Seriously, it was one of the greatest things I've ever witnessed. I only wish that all sets at Coachella (or anywhere) could have sound that crystal clear.

Absolutely.

wolverine
07-06-2008, 12:48 PM
HE'S NOT EVEN REMOTELY FUCKING IN TIME WITH HIS OWN GODDAMN SONG. HOW CAN YOU ASSHOLES DEFEND THIS SO BLINDLY.

n3Sp9mv3NOg

Umm..the guy who wrote Wish You Were Here, which is Beatles level music. He could fart that melody and people wouldn't care, that's how great it is.

wolverine
07-06-2008, 12:54 PM
We will take their smoke and mirrors, we will take the history they made and we will digitize it, cut it to pieces and put it back together into a new shape that is ours. Any shape we can think of, just as long as it's new. And we will dance without care, without fear that we might fail to change the world because we know better than to think the world belongs to us. Only the music belongs to us. So you can keep the dark side of the moon, keep the whole fucking thing—and we will march happily to worship at the altar of the beat, and some day Coachella will make your moon into just another glowstick for our amusement. .

It's very,very easy to see where this crazy guy is coming from. He's hardcore DM and he's pissed that Waters blew away the festival and was the talk of Coachella. His article is so filled with anger and frustration that his little DM tent was blown away it's not even funny. He saw a real live legend, and it shattered his glow stick world. Now he is trying to compensate and convince himself.

Dark Side of the Moon will never go away because it is pure, proven timeless greatness. It's like wishing tha the "Wizard of Oz would go away" or "The Godfather". Good luck. It's a timeless classic.

frozen pilgrim
07-06-2008, 12:58 PM
lsd can make things, ANYTHING, better OR worse, depending on what YOU decide internally. you made a decision that you would not like roger's performance, and the extremely powerful and malleable drug allowed you to construct this entire half of your duality.
meanwhile, your reality persists in the other side of your brain, the two fighting each other for dominance.

wolverine
07-06-2008, 12:58 PM
RSW just got scared during Waters and had to run to the soothing sounds of the button pressing light show for sanctuary.

Yep. It shattered his perception of what a real live show is. The glow sticks just don't have the same appeal anymore.

RotationSlimWang
07-06-2008, 01:04 PM
Jesus Frozen, just pick a different argument. I love how you douchebags don't actually respond to any of the evidence of what piss-poor performing went on and go with ad hominem attacks instead. You have no ground to stand on.

Don't tell me what acid does to me. I know what acid does to me. MMJ sounded incredible and so did everything else except this disgusting charade. I've posted my proof, you backpeddle yet again. Run, rabbit.

frozen pilgrim
07-06-2008, 01:11 PM
run, rabbit?
you've run out of glib, anti-waters opinion-based statements (you didn't think the guitar parts were played right, you didn't like his vocals), and now you're actualy literally taking things I said and saying them BACK to me like you came up with it!
I've been pointing out the irony of you digging your rabbit hole out the side of a cliff based on a roger waters performance, and now your brain says hey! I know! I'll use a rabbit hole reference! how fucking original!
randy. you are wrong about drugs, period.
the reason YOU find that drugs always enhance everything is because of your frighteningly narrow perspective. you're unable to question yourself. especially on drugs.
so when randy's brain says "I'm not going to enjoy this roger waters show", randy's LSD says "well let's make this suck then" and it happens.
come on, SOMEBODY back me up here that LSD trips can have their direction and timbre changed entirely through the volition of the person tripping. that's like... the basis for all psychonautic exploration.

I've said it ten fucking times now.

have fun when your false reality -your rabbit hole- comes to an abrupt, unpleasant, soul crushing end

RotationSlimWang
07-06-2008, 01:13 PM
Oh my god, dude, go to a fucking mental hospital like now. Put down the crank or whatever you're on. Get off the internet. You sound like a genuine psychopath. This is tiresome beyond belief, welcome to ignore.

frozen pilgrim
07-06-2008, 01:41 PM
ahhaha. randy has me on ignore.
fucking finally.
http://macroblog.typepad.com/macroblog/images/win_button.jpg

zenidogx
07-06-2008, 01:56 PM
lol

Wheres the beef?
07-09-2008, 06:38 PM
But when Waters steps up to the mic and rolls out the bombast of the opening lyric there's no bombast. It doesn't sound like it's supposed to sound at all. I know he's gotten older and lost his voice some in recent years, but I was sure he'd either have taken special care of his throat for such a high-profile show, or even just mostly lip sync to an appropriately full backing track. Yes, I had decided I was fully willing to accept lip syncing as long as the mix had the booming vocals I love… but he's actually singing instead.

I'm calling BULLSHIT on this one.

Trick Loves The Kids
07-09-2008, 07:52 PM
I LOVE ROGER WATERSS

Trick Loves The Kids
07-09-2008, 07:57 PM
seriously I know music is subjective but if you stood in front of the main stage and saw that show and didn't like it you are retarded and this is not up for debate

frozen pilgrim
07-09-2008, 10:01 PM
word

JSam67
07-09-2008, 10:10 PM
seriously I know music is subjective but if you stood in front of the main stage and saw that show and didn't like it you are retarded and this is not up for debate

Wrong. Some of us heard the show too, Trick. Some of us need more than smoke and mirrors. Personally, I know I'm a lightshow monkey, but the music has to match. I guess there were only a few of us who desire more than just a spectacle from the festival's overall headliner.

wolverine
07-09-2008, 10:28 PM

No kidding. The great thing about it is Coachella has never had a setlist of that ultimate quality. There'e some Beatles level shit right there.

bluemamba
07-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Theres was a lot of saying on this thread about who had the better performance between Portishead and Roger Waters. And some of you were accusing others of judging Roger Waters without even showing up on sunday.

I was FRONT ROW and center for Death Cab for Cutie, Kraftwerk, PORTISHEAD, Prince, My Morning Jacket, and ROGER WATERS.

Who had the best performance and best sound?? Roger Waters. Dont get me wrong though. Portishead was amazing. They prepared me for what was to come with Prince. Their performance isnt far off. Rogers just had better energy IMO and more legendary status. Come on now Dark Side of the Moon is one the GREATEST albums of all time!!!

frozen pilgrim
07-10-2008, 11:28 AM
I was more moved by portishad. but anyone can re-read this thread and see how I feel about roger waters

amyzzz
07-10-2008, 12:42 PM
Portishead was better. But I'm not really a Pink Floyd fan. I tried to get into PF to no avail.

I went into Coachella expecting amazing things from Portishead, but they were 10 times better than I ever could have imagined, and I was up front! I shook her hand! Nothing beats that. Not even those speakers eveywhere for Roger Waters. I got bored during his set and wandered over to Simian Mobile Disco.

BROKENDOLL
07-10-2008, 02:01 PM
randy bobandy's rabbit hole comes out of the edge of a cliff. I can't stop fucking laughing!

ShyGuy75
07-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Some of us need more than smoke and mirrors.

Dude, you thought Justice was amazing. Please go hold your breath under water until you pass out.

wolverine
07-10-2008, 05:50 PM
Portishead was better. But I'm not really a Pink Floyd fan. I tried to get into PF to no avail.

I went into Coachella expecting amazing things from Portishead, but they were 10 times better than I ever could have imagined, and I was up front! I shook her hand! Nothing beats that. Not even those speakers eveywhere for Roger Waters. I got bored during his set and wandered over to Simian Mobile Disco.

It's already been established you weren't there on Sunday.

wolverine
07-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Theres was a lot of saying on this thread about who had the better performance between Portishead and Roger Waters. And some of you were accusing others of judging Roger Waters without even showing up on sunday.

I was FRONT ROW and center for Death Cab for Cutie, Kraftwerk, PORTISHEAD, Prince, My Morning Jacket, and ROGER WATERS.

Who had the best performance and best sound?? Roger Waters. Dont get me wrong though. Portishead was amazing. They prepared me for what was to come with Prince. Their performance isnt far off. Rogers just had better energy IMO and more legendary status. Come on now Dark Side of the Moon is one the GREATEST albums of all time!!!

Absolutely. Chalk and cheese.

boyalien0
07-10-2008, 11:00 PM
I'm still raving about Waters' set to my friends. Best performance, best sound, best visuals of any Coachella set ever, including the robots in the pyramid (which is still a very close second).

RotationSlimWang
07-10-2008, 11:42 PM
Best visuals, best sound, worst actual performing. But thank god we're not the kind of assholes who insist that our concerts feature people playing music well or anything...

Wheres the beef?
07-11-2008, 12:02 AM
Best visuals, best sound, worst actual performing. But thank god we're not the kind of assholes who insist that our concerts feature people playing music well or anything...

Yeah but you would have taken music being played over an iPod (as I would have) if it meant hearing pink floyd songs on the polo fields. So why the big to-do about the poor musician ship? Live > studio imo even if it wasn't perfect.

RotationSlimWang
07-11-2008, 12:52 AM
Yeah but you would have taken music being played over an iPod (as I would have) if it meant hearing pink floyd songs on the polo fields. So why the big to-do about the poor musician ship? Live > studio imo even if it wasn't perfect.

I don't understand how that computes. If the live rendition sounds exponentially worse than the studio version, how is it possibly greater than?

Can none of you really understand the idea of not wanting to hear a once legendary musician half-ass his way through recreating his hits with seemingly no regard for preserving the sanctity of the art he once created?

I don't care that George Lucas made the original Star Wars, either. It doesn't excuse what he's done to them since. There is no fucking difference between rereleasing an inferior version of a movie and re-performing an inferior version of music.

Trick Loves The Kids
07-11-2008, 01:06 AM
justice's set this year was cheeseball 8000 and not nearly as good as the one they did last year

RotationSlimWang
07-11-2008, 01:08 AM
It wasn't the music that made Justice good. It was the Coachella surrounding the music. The music was alright.

Coachella was not surrounding Roger Waters. Seriously--fireworks? After that big long weekend of eco-friendly bullshit they're spitting out flames and setting off a gigantic firework display behind the stage? None of this feels a little silly and hypocritical? Coachella never needed some horseshit pyrotechnic display before.

Wheres the beef?
07-11-2008, 01:09 AM
I don't understand how that computes. If the live rendition sounds exponentially worse than the studio version, how is it possibly greater than?

Can none of you really understand the idea of not wanting to hear a once legendary musician half-ass his way through recreating his hits with seemingly no regard for preserving the sanctity of the art he once created?

I don't care that George Lucas made the original Star Wars, either. It doesn't excuse what he's done to them since. There is no fucking difference between rereleasing an inferior version of a movie and re-performing an inferior version of music.

My point being that hearing music created live has a sort of warmth and richness to it (somewhat like the comparison between vinyl and CD) that you can't get on an MP3. Are we comparing the live performance to the studio album versions or are we comparing this specific performance to previous performances? I have a decent collection of live floyd with some of their best boots so I would say, yeah, this performance pales in comparison to other PF performances. But is it better than the studio version? I say yes because it has that live "feel" to it you can't recreate elsewhere.

And yeah man, OK, I watched your youtubes, I relistened to the performance, I listened to the studio versions of the songs. Yeah, its not as good. But you are seriously being way to hyper critical of the performance. And, part of me agrees with you because for Pink Floyd the bar is, just, well its set ridiculously high. But, fuck man, half assed or not it was still something fucking special and for that you will never take that away from me. Even, looking over and seeing you with that bored look on your face as you hugged the rail and watched passively...whatever man. I fucking had an awesome time.

RotationSlimWang
07-11-2008, 01:13 AM
I'm not trying to take your pleasure out of it, Kings, I'd just like it if we stopped heaping boundless praise on something that doesn't deserve it. You know, it's possible to acknowledge the faults in something that you loved. It is. The disturbing part about it all is that so many of you didn't even seem to notice the glaring shortcomings of the actual performance. It makes it feel like trotting out songs we all know with a lot of visual stunts will always get a rave review regardless of the quality of the musicianship. And THAT is a problem.

Wheres the beef?
07-11-2008, 01:20 AM
I'm not trying to take your pleasure out of it, Kings, I'd just like it if we stopped heaping boundless praise on something that doesn't deserve it. You know, it's possible to acknowledge the faults in something that you loved. It is. The disturbing part about it all is so many of you didn't even seem to notice the glaring shortcomings of the actual performance. It makes it feel like trotting out songs we all know with a lot of visual stunts will always get a rave review regardless of the quality of the musicianship. And THAT is a problem.

True. And drugs play a big part in that. Granted most of us were way to consumed by psychadelics to care about the details but if you were then....more power to you. The only reason I rave about the show was probably 33% drugs and 33% never seen RW before and 33% being at Coachella . If I had seen his show before I might be able to have a frame of reference (I think that is what it boils down to: not having a proper frame of reference).

For example, I've seen Tool 13 times and know all the live songs in and out. I can tell when someone messes up, I can tell when something is extended or that riff is different or that lyric is different. I guess I just havent had too many RW/PF experiences to have a proper frame of reference.

wolverine
07-11-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm still raving about Waters' set to my friends. Best performance, best sound, best visuals of any Coachella set ever, including the robots in the pyramid (which is still a very close second).

Indeed.

wolverine
07-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Coachella was not surrounding Roger Waters. Seriously--fireworks? After that big long weekend of eco-friendly bullshit they're spitting out flames and setting off a gigantic firework display behind the stage? None of this feels a little silly and hypocritical? Coachella never needed some horseshit pyrotechnic display before.

Roger Waters played Coachella like a master fucking Pupeteer. Waters won't let the audience "surround him", he dictates everyting with a massive array of surround sound speakers going waaaaaay back. He delivers the show to YOU. He tweaked strings of tension on 60,000 people with the greatest of ease,and his set was an emotional roller coaster - but perfectly balanced between sober political moments and Pink Floyd psychedelic insanity.

Let it go, Undermedicated One. It was a triumph, no matter how hard you push. The musicianship was incredible, they absolutely wailed on those songs. Only a reunion of Pink Floyd could top them. Lastly, the guy is 63 years old and put on the greatest show in Coachella history. Think about that for a second...

A 63 year old man dominted a bunch of youngsters. Why is that? Because Waters is the greatest live mastermind in rock history - behind the entire Pink Floyd live legend.

RotationSlimWang
07-11-2008, 11:54 AM
Dude, stop humping praise for his body of work as praise for that particular show. The musicianship was not incredible. It was not even good. I posted video evidence of the shit. It's clear as day.

bluemamba
07-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Roger Waters played Coachella like a master fucking Pupeteer. Waters won't let the audience "surround him", he dictates everyting with a massive array of surround sound speakers going waaaaaay back. He delivers the show to YOU. He tweaked strings of tension on 60,000 people with the greatest of ease,and his set was an emotional roller coaster - but perfectly balanced between sober political moments and Pink Floyd psychedelic insanity.

Let it go, Undermedicated One. It was a triumph, no matter how hard you push. The musicianship was incredible, they absolutely wailed on those songs. Only a reunion of Pink Floyd could top them. Lastly, the guy is 63 years old and put on the greatest show in Coachella history. Think about that for a second...

A 63 year old man dominted a bunch of youngsters. Why is that? Because Waters is the greatest live mastermind in rock history - behind the entire Pink Floyd live legend.

Roger Waters in Coachella 08- MAJOR SUCCESS!!!!

bluemamba
07-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Fact is that Roger is 63 years old. ...... 63 YEARS OLD!!!! ...... Hes pretty damn old and is not that close to his prime at all. and the fact is that in coachella HE PUT ONE OF THE GREATEST PERFORMANCES OF COACHELLA HISTORY. Makes me wonder what would happen to me if i saw Pink Floyd in their prime day. My whole body would explode and the remaining pieces would melt. their would be nothing left.

RotationSlimWang
07-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Excuse me, but how many Coachellas have both of you two been to before you keep throwing around your emphatic capitalized proclamations of what is the greatest in Coachella history?

Yes, he is 63 years old. I'm not condemning the man for being old. But just because he's old is no reason to excuse a mediocre performance and call it TEH GREATEST EVARRRRRRRR!!!!!!!1111!!

summerkid
07-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Excuse me, but how many Coachellas have both of you two been to before you keep throwing around your emphatic capitalized proclamations of what is the greatest in Coachella history?

Yes, he is 63 years old. I'm not condemning the man for being old. But just because he's old is no reason to excuse a mediocre performance and call it TEH GREATEST EVARRRRRRRR!!!!!!!1111!!

Saying that this is the greatest show in Coachella History makes me pretty angry.

amyzzz
07-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Saying that this is the greatest show in Coachella History makes me pretty angry.
You'd be forgetting daft punk, bjork, and portishead here.

bluemamba
07-11-2008, 12:39 PM
damn you caught me. let me rephrase my comment. Best performance of coachella 08. Lets start with that.

RotationSlimWang
07-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Okay. Now are we counting the actual skill of the musicians in playing the music or not? I assume not 'cause there were about five other acts on that stage that easily played better. Or are we just giving all the credit to the bright lights and the set list?

Just because we all love the songs that he played probably more than any other set in Coach history doesn't mean that THAT performance is better. Schmucks.

frozen pilgrim
07-11-2008, 12:46 PM
yeah, I would not say greatest in history.
I wasn't there. to me, I think it's interesting to look at the facts about and recordings of past coachellas and try to make a comparison to the stuff I've been at. but still, I just wasn't there.

I think his set had two or three of the best individual moments I can remember from any concert I've been to, period.
the explosion that wasn't an explosion at the end of on the run, the prism during eclipse, and the pig floating straight up and out of sight at the end of sheep

RotationSlimWang
07-11-2008, 12:58 PM
Great. So the best parts of the concert were all not music at all. They were the stunts. Exactly my fucking point. So can we all shut the fuck up about the quality of the performance?

If you wanna call it a great visual concert, fine, go right ahead. I won't argue with that at all. But what it wasn't was great musicians performing a great rendition of the music.

frozen pilgrim
07-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Great. So the best parts of the concert were all not music at all. They were the stunts. Exactly my fucking point. So can we all shut the fuck up about the quality of the performance?

If you wanna call it a great visual concert, fine, go right ahead. I won't argue with that at all. But what it wasn't was great musicians performing a great rendition of the music.

you intentionally misread.
so much for having me on ignore, dipshit

wolverine
07-11-2008, 01:34 PM

Plenty of people have said the exact same thing in this thread. I suggest you go back and read it.

wolverine
07-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Fact is that Roger is 63 years old. ...... 63 YEARS OLD!!!! ...... Hes pretty damn old and is not that close to his prime at all. and the fact is that in coachella HE PUT ONE OF THE GREATEST PERFORMANCES OF COACHELLA HISTORY. Makes me wonder what would happen to me if i saw Pink Floyd in their prime day. My whole body would explode and the remaining pieces would melt. their would be nothing left.

Exactly ;)

What we are seeing are a few "sour grapers" who blew off Sunday thinking it was no big deal trying to put down what they missed. Then you have people like Amy who didn't even go on Sunday trying to defend her favorite band by putting down another artist rather than talking up Portishead in their own neglected forum thread.

Then you have Rotation Slim who is obviously a bit nutty, championing guys who play live by pressing mouse clicks on laptops while putting down an eight piece band, and talking about "eternal glowsticks and dancing to the beat forever".

RotationSlimWang
07-11-2008, 01:36 PM
How many Coachellas you been to, Wolvie? Fifty bucks says one.

wolverine
07-11-2008, 01:44 PM
How many Coachellas you been to, Wolvie? Fifty bucks says one.

Since 2002. It's the best festival in the world, IMHO.

amyzzz
07-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Exactly ;)

What we are seeing are a few "sour grapers" who blew off Sunday thinking it was no big deal trying to put down what they missed. Then you have people like Amy who didn't even go on Sunday trying to defend her favorite band by putting down another artist rather than talking up Portishead in their own neglected forum thread.

Then you have Rotation Slim who is obviously a bit nutty, championing guys who play live by pressing mouse clicks on laptops while putting down an eight piece band, and talking about "eternal glowsticks and dancing to the beat forever".
Huh? I was there on Sunday. wtf are you smoking? I watched maybe 3 or 4 Roger Waters songs, and I was bored (as was my husband), so we went over to SMD which fucking ROCKED.

ShyGuy75
07-11-2008, 03:13 PM
So everyone on this thread crying about Waters left at or before the intermission and missed The Dark Side. Got it.

For the record, I don't think it was the "greatest" performance I have seen at Coachella. That goes to the Silversun Pickups, my frens :lips I don't even think it was the best of this year. But is was a great performance all things considering.

What did you expect, Slim? To have the Floyd tour from 1969 come out and make you come all over yourself? You should have known what you were going to get before the show. That way, you wouldn't have left early. I can't imagine your hearbreak if/when you see the crusted up Zeppelin play.

Neil Diamond sounded absolutely aweful at Glastonbury this year, but I was expecting it. Therefore, when Sweet Caroline was being chanted by hundreds of thousands of crazed brits, I took joy in the atmosphere instead of getting all elitist up in the biatch.

Keeping your expectations low for these types of acts will further your enjoyment of the moment, instead of having father time eat you up and spit you out like a bad acid trip.

frozen pilgrim
07-11-2008, 03:25 PM
I think this whole thread is fucked because of randy.
it's impossible for people to say they just weren't into it and wanted to see something more energetic or whatever, because randy's got everyone who liked it so pissed off that they insist that you HAD to like it or you're mental.
I can see how it's possible to watch something like that and not have it fit your frame of mind or your taste.

I just think it's asinine (and I know this isn't what you're doing, amy) to blame it on roger or snowy white or their band 'sucking', or anything that equals 'sucking'. or to say that people who DID enjoy it are wrong somehow.

frozen pilgrim
07-11-2008, 03:43 PM
I can't imagine your hearbreak if/when you see the crusted up Zeppelin play.
I was just thinking this.
yes, they can all play-
but john's son is just a touch more technical, and his sound is a bit... stiffer. the rest of the guys are just not as young. robert plant has to change melodies to be able to sing them, and that trademark hard edge of his tenor range is all but gone.
like... shit.
well, I'd say this would be interesting to see next year, but zeppelin's not gonna play coachella, so...

Botrocker
07-11-2008, 07:03 PM
I slept through this.

wolverine
07-11-2008, 09:03 PM
Huh? I was there on Sunday. wtf are you smoking? I watched maybe 3 or 4 Roger Waters songs, and I was bored (as was my husband), so we went over to SMD which fucking ROCKED.

You have some sort of brain damage if you think SMD "rocked" but Waters was boring. Regardless of anything else, that was the greatest sound system Coachella has ever seen.

Very strange Amy. If you want to prop up Portishead, maybe you should post in their neglected thread rather than trying to put down other acts.

The facts are this performance got amazing reviews, and was heralded in this very thread as the finest the event has seen. Waters made it an *event*. There was the pig debacle, the dropped confettit debacle, the incredile songs, the visuals, the amazing surround sound system - it was the complete package, unlike anything Coachella has ever seen. And an important note is that it was a Roger Waters show, not a Pink Floyd show. He played some of his solo material and it's a bit strange.

It's funny how everyone thinks that their favorite band means that band is the best live band. No, that's just your favorite band. Portishead has never had a reputation as a good live act except for the ten or so people that buy their records. Prince has. MMJ has. Gogol has one. Silversun Pickups? lol. People have a hard time seperating that.

The truly best live bands were acts like the Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, early Stones and Zeppelin, the Allman Brothers. No one really has shit on these guys.

Some people are having trouble coming to grips with the fact that our little indie world got completely owned by a true rock legend. A lot of the bands we see at Coachella are mere little footnotes in comparison.

We saw greatness.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/crjB3ccvRu4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/crjB3ccvRu4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'll never forget the look of amazement on all the faces around me of those who never saw this guy perform before. It was something to behold.

Absolutely amazing performance with 60,000 people singing along:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t9CvEXi0ReQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t9CvEXi0ReQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Trick Loves The Kids
07-12-2008, 12:03 AM
roger waters = best show in coachella history

RotationSlimWang
07-12-2008, 12:11 AM
It was a bunch of fucking stunts and a sound system. THAT'S IT. That's all anybody is talking about in the defense of a fucking desecration of some music we ought to hold a little bit of reverence for. When Paul McCartney plays Beatles shit I will say this much--he doesn't put some embarassing douchebag hack playing Lennon's parts incompetently. He doesn't let the entire quality of the rest of the music slip into a shithole. The Zeppelin reunion, slightly flawed as it was, at least felt like you were actually hearing the motherfuckers play.

And what the fuck is this bullshit about Portishead not having a reputation as a great live act? See, it's stupid shit like this that just shows the mindlessness going on here.

psychoc&ndy
07-12-2008, 12:16 AM
It was a bunch of fucking stunts and a sound system. THAT'S IT. That's all anybody is talking about in the defense of a fucking desecration of some music we ought to hold a little bit of reverence for. When Paul McCartney plays Beatles shit I will say this much--he doesn't put some embarassing douchebag hack playing Lennon's parts incompetently. He doesn't let the entire quality of the rest of the music slip into a shithole. The Zeppelin reunion, slightly flawed as it was, at least felt like you were actually hearing the motherfuckers play.

And what the fuck is this bullshit about Portishead not having a reputation as a great live act? See, it's stupid shit like this that just shows the mindlessness going on here.

randy, go have sex with your mom

RotationSlimWang
07-12-2008, 12:18 AM
At least I know the sex would be quality, unlike that Money solo.

zenidogx
07-12-2008, 12:18 AM
i would compare Waters live to watching a composer.

some people pay good money to see a guy lead an orchestra.
and, well, i payed good money to see Waters lead a band and put on a spectacle. it was amazing.

*the guitarist did blow. i mean, i dont remember the guitarist butchering the solos the first time i saw Waters. everyone else in the band was great. especially the chick that sang on Mother and Great Gig in the Sky.

matsuolost
07-12-2008, 03:09 AM
It wasn't the music that made Justice good. It was the Coachella surrounding the music. The music was alright.

look, dipshit
a performance is not just the music, it is not just the visuals. it is the whole environment and vibe it creates
using yes, the music and the visuals
you cant deny that waters' perfomance was amazing
if you were there, dont kid yourself, you cannot say it wasnt amazing
aside from that i dont even think it was the best of the weekend, that one goes to the national, for me. and that is what im trying to say: maybe theyre calling it the greatest show in coachella history but that is what it means to THEM, to their history.
because that is how it made them feel
and if thats what they thought after it had finished, then good for them
the greatest show doesnt have to be fucking perfect and spot on on every note. to these people it doesnt matter if waters didnt hit every fucking note, because the show was incredible, and it created a vibe so amazing that to them it made them feel like it was the greatest show. and i can understand that.

daft punk 06 was the greatest show in coachella history
and thats a fact. to me.

its all a matter of opinions, you will never make anyone change their mind about something like this.

MarkO
07-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Exactly ;)

Alright, here's my tuppence. The visuals were amazing, the 'show' was wonderful but if weren't for the show and the visuals, you lot would still be bitching about the music portion of RW. He can't sing and his song selection is amiss sometimes.

I enjoyed RW a lot and glad I got see DSOTM live but a measured review of the w/end would maybe put him top5 of '08 Mainstage performances. lol at the bestest show evAR! comments.

Portishead, Kraftwerk, Prince & The Raconteurs all put on better musical performances than Rog. Note the lack of visual hisrionics from Prince; he just came on stage and fucking played.

bluemamba
07-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Wait a sec.... His singing wasnt that bad now was it?? i mean yes, im as big of a Floyd fan as they come and i know he doesnt sound as good as he used to but come on his voice wasnt that bad. for his age it still sounded at the very least decent. IMO he sounded pretty good comparing to other past solo performances from some years back. i mean WTF did some of you expect??? a 1977 Roger Waters???

RotationSlimWang
07-12-2008, 03:08 PM
Go watch the Wish You Were Here clip. He's not even trying to sing in time or on key. Not even trying.

wolverine
07-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Portishead, Kraftwerk, Prince & The Raconteurs all put on better musical performances than Rog. .

lol.

Please, feel free to post in those neglected threads then and show your support.

wolverine
07-12-2008, 03:14 PM
Go watch the Wish You Were Here clip. He's not even trying to sing in time or on key. Not even trying.

He wasn't the lead singer on that song ;) He did write it though. No act at Coachella 2008 has a song on the level of Wish You Were Here. That's Beatles/Dylan type shit.

bluemamba
07-12-2008, 03:15 PM

Ok on that one ill agree because when it come to Wish You Were Here, ive never really liked how Roger sang it. That song is for Gilmour and him only.

wolverine
07-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Ok on that one ill agree because when it come to Wish You Were Here, ive never really liked how Roger sang it. That song is for Gilmour and him only.

Yeah I agree, Gilmour does it much better. But Roger wrote it so he can do what he wants. Still prefer the Gilmour version by a mile though.

bluemamba
07-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Yeah I agree, Gilmour does it much better. But Roger wrote it so he can do what he wants. Still prefer the Gilmour version by a mile though.

Thats true. i was still happy he sang it though cuz at least i can sing along to it with the rest of Coachella. Gilmour does that song good. He still has it. David Gilmour 09!!.... Then we can have a Roger Waters Vs David Gilmour thread.

RotationSlimWang
07-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Look, all I'm saying is you can hear the rest of the crowd singing the song the way it was supposed to be sung. Now I don't object to sing-a-longs at concert necessarily, but how fucked up is it when the crowd is the one leading the sing-a-long and the musician is the one fucking it up? It's supposed to be the other way around.

gaypalmsprings
07-12-2008, 03:28 PM
awesome

bluemamba
07-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Wish You Were Here was the one song i thought was not done completely right at coachella. Either was at least i felt i was singing it better :thu

wolverine
07-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Look, all I'm saying is you can hear the rest of the crowd singing the song the way it was supposed to be sung. Now I don't object to sing-a-longs at concert necessarily, but how fucked up is it when the crowd is the one leading the sing-a-long and the musician is the one fucking it up? It's supposed to be the other way around.

The problem with your argument is no one really cares. Most people know Waters didn't sing the studio version. Most people know Waters version is inferior to Gilmour's. They were just happy to hear an amazing song performed by the author.

The problem with the other acts (besides Prince who is true greatness) is that they don't even have a song as good as that to begin with.

bluemamba
07-12-2008, 03:45 PM
Most people know Waters didn't sing the studio version. Most people know Waters version is inferior to Gilmour's. They were just happy to hear an amazing song performed by the author.

The problem with the other acts (besides Prince who is true greatness) is that they don't even have a song as good as that to begin with.

YES!!!! Exactly!!!

MarkO
07-12-2008, 05:48 PM
lol.

Please, feel free to post in those neglected threads then and show your support.

Are you indicating that RW put on a better musical show than Prince ? or Portishead ?

bluemamba
07-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Are you indicating that RW put on a better musical show than Prince ? or Portishead ?

PERFORMANCE?? maybe not. But overall SHOW?? it can be argued.

RotationSlimWang
07-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Translation: we prefer flashy stunts to actual live music.

bluemamba
07-12-2008, 06:31 PM
Stunts??? lol... the thing is that a for RW the vibe was excellent. looking at the Pig could make it feel like a real Pink Floyd concert. The laser prism was cool and fire works and it all just fit with the music. Maybe RW did not put up the best performance because i mean lets be real, HES 63 YEARS OLD!!! Hes nowhere near his prime. But IMO he put up the best SHOW.

RotationSlimWang
07-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Stunts??? lol... the thing is that a for RW the vibe was excellent. looking at the Pig could make it feel like a real Pink Floyd concert. The laser prism was cool and fire works and it all just fit with the music. Maybe RW did not put up the best performance because i mean lets be real, HES 63 YEARS OLD!!! Hes nowhere near his prime. But IMO he put up the best SHOW.

You know what could make it feel like a real Pink Floyd concert? If the music sounded anything like a Pink Floyd concert.

matsuolost
07-12-2008, 06:35 PM
You know what could make it feel like a real Pink Floyd concert? If the music sounded anything like a Pink Floyd concert.

are you fucking stupid or do you just pretend to be?

bluemamba
07-12-2008, 06:37 PM
He did all those stunts in 2007, you people need to get outside more...
<_<, >_> , <_<

Well that was the first time i experienced one of his concerts so it was new for me. And his voice sounded better than i thought and i was impressed by the show. Not that i like "stunts" more than live music but it goes well with the music. Pink Floyd concerts were filled with "stunts" back in the day. the only difference was that RW and the rest of PF were in there prime and exploding faces.

RotationSlimWang
07-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Are you fucking illiterate or do you just pretend to not be able to comprehend the written word?

matsuolost
07-12-2008, 06:42 PM
whats that? is that your comeback?
what you just wrote is fucking pathetic, "You know what could make it feel like a real Pink Floyd concert? If the music sounded anything like a Pink Floyd concert."
those were pink floyd songs, played by the man who wrote them
you are fucking stupid

RotationSlimWang
07-12-2008, 06:52 PM
whats that? is that your comeback?
what you just wrote is fucking pathetic, "You know what could make it feel like a real Pink Floyd concert? If the music sounded anything like a Pink Floyd concert."
those were pink floyd songs, played by the man who wrote them
you are fucking stupid

Played incompetently by the man who wrote them.

bluemamba
07-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Your teenage ass needs to stop pretending like you had an expectation for Roger Waters before Coachella that was not going to be anything less than phenomenal. Every person who saw waters expected him to kick ass, and they held firm to that because of a cool magic show. The only improv on stage was the guy operating the ques for waters' props, and based on the Pink Floyd videos you bought at the local record store, you have this opinion that Floyd show's were filled with stunts, that wasn't the case until they had rose to international fame, in which case, who the fuck doesn't have a cool stage set up when they are that rich, its a requirement that you start putting a little bit more into your shows. I haven't seen a live Floyd show beside video's and I know that you are just talking out of you smelly cunt.

Bwahahahahahahah!!!

Ok first of all... FUCK YOU!!

Second..... I really did not know what to expect out of Roger's Voice and Performance. I had seen some youtube videos of the guy where he doesnt sound very well and ive seen some of him where he kicks ass. I did not expect him to be epic or anything. To me that set was awesome.

bluemamba
07-12-2008, 07:02 PM
=/. I am not sure if I am the one to tell you this but...
Its called your period, and you should be talking to your mom about it

Oooooooohhh....Good one. :thu

wolverine
07-12-2008, 08:53 PM

Destroyed Portishead(they didnt even get mentioned in many of the post show reviews). They belonged in a smaller setting. I'm sure the 18 people that buy their records here will say otherwise. Prince is Prince. He's a better musician than Waters, but not a better songwriter or lyricist. The songs Waters played are far more complicated than what Portishead and Prince brought out(especially Portishead).

wolverine
07-12-2008, 08:55 PM

This is the part where you get dismissed as a troll and no one takes you seriously.

wolverine
07-12-2008, 08:56 PM
are you fucking stupid or do you just pretend to be?

I think he just is.

wolverine
07-12-2008, 08:57 PM
=/. I am not sure if I am the one to tell you this but...
Its called your period, and you should be talking to your mom about it

Are you in third grade?

bluemamba
07-13-2008, 10:29 AM
This is the part where you get dismissed as a troll and no one takes you seriously.

:lool

bluemamba
07-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Destroyed Portishead(they didnt even get mentioned in many of the post show reviews). They belonged in a smaller setting. I'm sure the 18 people that buy their records here will say otherwise. Prince is Prince. He's a better musician than Waters, but not a better songwriter or lyricist. The songs Waters played are far more complicated than what Portishead and Prince brought out(especially Portishead).

Agreed. Roger Waters had THE BEST SHOW IN COACHELLA 08!!!! .............. yes your damn right i said it!!

wolverine
07-13-2008, 11:58 AM
The great thing about waters was that it was all encompassing. it engulfed everyone there, took a hold of their minds/souls, and didnt let go until the end.

I felt like i was in some war zone/american gladiator type shit.

unreal.

Yup.

wolverine
07-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Absolutely ferocious performance. I think "Sheep" was the point that people realized Waters was ripping apart Coachella like none before, and doing it from every angle of attack. The screams of "holy shit!!!" "oh god" are priceless.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lpPj1XUJ-j8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lpPj1XUJ-j8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This moment, with the sheep bleating incredibly loud through the surround stacks, the vocoder going off the charts, the messed up synths, the visuals and the pig watching the Coachella crowd as if it were it's flock. Just amazing. There's no question IMHO that "Sheep" is the single greatest individual song performance in Coachella's short history. Not only that, but the insanity during the song played out even after the show was over with the plane-dropped confetti and the missing pig.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/adlr0Bz4R3A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/adlr0Bz4R3A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I think this is the clip that says it all though:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x1fCwKFbC2Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x1fCwKFbC2Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Good times, good times. Can't wait for next year.

RotationSlimWang
07-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Not a single mention of actual live music anywhere in the praise. Just recordings and visual stunts. Yup.

bluemamba
07-14-2008, 10:55 AM
WTF!!! ohh shit i come out in the first video!!!

frozen pilgrim
07-14-2008, 11:03 AM
wolverine, by saying portishead was "destroyed" by roger waters, you're being an idiot.
sorry.
you know how much I loved waters.
don't compare the two. it doesn't make any sense.
different days, different audiences.
and no they (portishead) didn't belong in a smaller setting. their audience was HUGE, and would have eagerly stayed for a set twice that length.

roger waters put on a spectacle, and I loved it, because it was creative, and well orchestrated, and the music was excellent. listening to those videos of sheep reminded me of how amazing it actually was.

Lurker_in_a_tree
07-14-2008, 04:14 PM

What do you mean *this* is the part?
it took almost 3 months to figure this out?

amyzzz
07-14-2008, 05:03 PM
At least Portishead is still in their prime performance-wise, without all the bells and whistles of light/effects. Roger Waters can't really sing very well anymore (if ever).

darthlaker
07-14-2008, 05:41 PM
At least Portishead is still in their prime performance-wise, without all the bells and whistles of light/effects. Roger Waters can't really sing very well anymore (if ever).

Portishead was amazing! Better then Prince and better then Rodger Waters! She commanded attention...

frozen pilgrim
07-14-2008, 06:34 PM
can we stop fucking comparing portishead and roger waters?
two different fucking concepts altogether.

Trick Loves The Kids
07-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Yeah guys, they're two completely different things.

Roger Waters: pig, airplane
Portishead: n/a

frozen pilgrim
07-14-2008, 07:00 PM
waters=waters
portishead=portishead. the following applies to ANY retarded coachella board comparison:

two innovators.
two acts responsible for the inception of their respective genres.
comparing them is insulting to both.
please don't.

Trick Loves The Kids
07-14-2008, 07:02 PM
I agree with you, but if you look at things objectively R.W. has a pig and a plane while Portishead don't. It's just facts.

frozen pilgrim
07-14-2008, 07:04 PM
which doesn't mean anything, because trip hop is not about airplanes, it's about a much more intimate feeling. it's about deep, deep emotion and texture so rich you can taste it.

and pink floyd is not about quiet, delicate, emotional moments, it's about epic soundscapes and heart-pounding builds to cathartic climaxes.

bluemamba
07-14-2008, 10:06 PM

Wait wait wait wait wait!!!!..... if ever???..... you take that back this instant!!!! Roger had one of the most unique voices!! He sang most of the songs on The Wall and Animals which are some of the many great Pink Floyd albums!!!

wolverine
07-14-2008, 10:35 PM
What do you mean *this* is the part?
it took almost 3 months to figure this out?

lol!

wolverine
07-14-2008, 10:39 PM
waters=waters
portishead=portishead. the following applies to ANY retarded coachella board comparison:

two innovators.
two acts responsible for the inception of their respective genres.
comparing them is insulting to both.
please don't.

I agree, there really are no comparisons to be made. One is a rock legend second only to the Beatles in sales by a rock band with the greatest live rep in the history of the genre, the other is a nice little outfit that makes mood music now and again.

wolverine
07-14-2008, 10:43 PM
which doesn't mean anything, because trip hop is not about airplanes, it's about a much more intimate feeling. it's about deep, deep emotion and texture so rich you can taste it.

and pink floyd is not about quiet, delicate, emotional moments, it's about epic soundscapes and heart-pounding builds to cathartic climaxes.

Floyd is definitely about that as well. They were the complete package. "Nobody Home" and "Goodbye Blue sky" are perfect examples. Waters wrote "Nobody Home" in one night. Hell, half of the Wall is comprised of those moments. But the beauty was they could throw it all into the mix. They weren't restriced to just one aspect.

One heck of a performance from the historic 1980 Wall tour:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0OsA3xuMe6A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0OsA3xuMe6A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Portishead themselves knew that trip hop would become a 90's cliche and they reinvented themselves for their recent nice record. Don't get me wrong, they are a nice act, but really don't belong in a discussion with the greats(or in this thread even).

And relax, Portishead nuts - "Third" easily makes my top twenty of 2008.

bluemamba
07-14-2008, 10:58 PM
Awesome vid!!

SmokinPenguin
07-14-2008, 11:32 PM
Is roger waters even still alive??!

I mean, it was a good show..If it was at some retirement home plagued with dementia!

frozen pilgrim
07-15-2008, 10:37 AM
portishead DOES belong with the greats- they are one.
sorry, wolverine.
I've been championing the waters show, you know that, but why the fuck do you keep bringing portishead into this in the form of a negative comparison?
you do realize that you're pretty much the sole reason in this thread for people thinking the waters fans are nuts.
you're really just being a dick.

"they are a nice act, but don't belong in a discussion of the greats"?
who the fuck do you think you are?

because of YOU, this thread has been hijacked.

here's jim james of my morning jacket expressing his love for portishead:
ZddLzgIJoiM

wolverine
07-15-2008, 11:17 AM
sorry, wolverine.
I've been championing the waters show, you know that, but why the fuck do you keep bringing portishead into this in the form of a negative comparison?

I'm not the one doing that. Portishead fans keep bringing it up in this thread rather than championing them in the neglected Portishead thread.

No offense, but putting Portishead on the same level as Beatles/Floyd/Zep/Stones is very very far fetched. I mean, come on. there's noting wrong with saying that. Portishead fans who think they are on that level are far nuttier than Beatles/Floyd fans who don't think they are on the same level.

frozen pilgrim
07-15-2008, 11:28 AM
you fucking idiot.

stop.
fucking.
comparing.

that is my point.

how thick are you?

don't.
fucking.
compare.

the only two bands that you could even sort of compare out of that list are zeppelin and the stones.

and fuck the rolling stones.

wolverine
07-15-2008, 11:55 AM
lol

Your exact quote:

sorry, wolverine.

You are the one making comparisons. And no, they don't even come close to being on the same level with Beatles/Floyd/Zep. That's an absolutely ridiculous comparison.

Now go take a relaxation pill before your blood pressure gets any higher.

frozen pilgrim
07-15-2008, 12:03 PM
I
AM
NOT
COMPARING

YOU
ARE
A
MORON

portishead should be considered great. they're pioneers of a genre. if you think otherwise, you're an idiot. that's not a comparative statement.

how old are you, twelve?
I'm seriously convinced that you're just incapable of grasping the concept here.

wolverine
07-15-2008, 05:24 PM
You've convinced me by typing in caps. No need to discuss this further.

You also forgot to mention Eric B. & Rakim and Massive Attack were doing trip hop well before Portishead.

If you think Portishead is on the level of Beatles/Floyd/Zep in *any* capacity, you probably suffer from some sort of brain injury. It's just not a fair comparison.

Mr. Dylanja
07-15-2008, 05:31 PM
I
AM
NOT
COMPARING

YOU
ARE
A
MORON

portishead should be considered great. they're pioneers of a genre. if you think otherwise, you're an idiot. that's not a comparative statement.

how old are you, twelve?
I'm seriously convinced that you're just incapable of grasping the concept here.

I'm just thankful this is the only thread he posts in.

greghead
07-15-2008, 05:47 PM
You've convinced me by typing in caps. No need to discuss this further.

You also forgot to mention Eric B. & Rakim and Massive Attack were doing trip hop well before Portishead.

If you think Portishead is on the level of Beatles/Floyd/Zep in *any* capacity, you probably suffer from some sort of brain injury. It's just not a fair comparison.

I'm sorry, but Eric B. & Rakim were not trip-hop. Are they arguably the single most important pioneers of hip hop? Yes. Pioneers of a sound that developed in and around Bristol, England? No. Their dark production is hardly in the same vein as Massive Attack. Coldcut's remix of "Paid in Full" can definitely be considered trip-hop, but the original itself does not fit so well.

Portishead is an amazing band, one my favorites, but nowhere near the same level as Pink Floyd or the Beatles.

Trick Loves The Kids
07-15-2008, 07:47 PM
eric b and rakim as trip hop lol

woogie846
07-15-2008, 08:02 PM
Sooo...that Roger Waters, right?

bluemamba
07-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Pink Floyd >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Portishead

Why is this even being discussed??

bluemamba
07-15-2008, 10:08 PM
Is roger waters even still alive??!

I mean, it was a good show..If it was at some retirement home plagued with dementia!

You must have been at the Sahara werent you!!

RotationSlimWang
07-15-2008, 10:08 PM
You people keep talking about Pink Floyd. Pink Floyd did not perform. The respects in which you did not see anything close to a real fucking Pink Floyd show are numerous.

satori777
07-16-2008, 07:28 AM
You people keep talking about Pink Floyd. Pink Floyd did not perform. The respects in which you did not see anything close to a real fucking Pink Floyd show are numerous.

And you have seen a real Pink Floyd show? Caught one of the last 5 Wall shows in England? Those were the last 'real' Floyd shows...didn't know you were there...

frozen pilgrim
07-16-2008, 12:28 PM
satori and mamba are making themselves look very silly.

pink floyd><portishead
roger waters><portishead

do they make the same kind of music?
what grounds or criteria could possibly be established to directly compare?

STOP

FUCKING

COMPARING

ROGER WATERS

TO PORTISHEAD

how fucking stupid are you people?

WHEN did this even start??!!!

this was a thread about roger waters.

how about it fucking gets back there.

dani, I am begging you. I am outright begging you. please, please, please, start banning people based on complete lack of intelligence.
you'd be happier, many of us would be happier, and I'm sure banning at whim and will from internet forums is protected by the constitution somehow >.<

roger waters!!

back on track, mister thread!!!

here's the last third or so of on the run, taken by moi.
considering it was a $200 digital point and shoot, it turned out ok.

UlgjXtD1KtQ

Blinken
07-16-2008, 12:33 PM
dani, I am begging you. I am outright begging you. please, please, please, start banning people based on complete lack of intelligence.
you'd be happier, many of us would be happier, and I'm sure banning at whim and will from internet forums is protected by the constitution somehow >.<

Can you be the first to get hit with the Ban Hammer?

frozen pilgrim
07-16-2008, 12:43 PM
nope. that's you, for inventing a phrase as unwieldy and un-funny as "ban hammer". at least hyphenate the fucker so there's some flow in there.

but seriously, why are any of you even on this forum in the first place?
you just come here to shoot your mouth off on subjects you have no clue about, and to pick fights with anyone and everyone. do any of you give a fuck about the show? did you?

just fuck off
seriously
at least randy, even though he has a disparaging opinion, has some form of visible thought process and comprehensibility in his arguments.

just start another thread, you worthless pieces of shit.

go somewhere else.

start a thread called "the sky is blue" and then you can all go fucking argue each other until you give up and end up in a gigantic, angry, zit-pus-lubricated nerd-fucking-circle.

I will try again

back on track!!!!!

roger waters!!!!!!!!!

zenidogx
07-16-2008, 12:53 PM
roger waters was the most perfect show i've ever seen at coachella.
not my favorite, but i gots to respect the production value.

Blinken
07-16-2008, 12:59 PM
nope. that's you, for inventing a phrase as unwieldy and un-funny as "ban hammer". at least hyphenate the fucker so there's some flow in there.

Nope didn't create it. It has been around for awhile.

but seriously, why are any of you even on this forum in the first place?
you just come here to shoot your mouth off on subjects you have no clue about, and to pick fights with anyone and everyone. do any of you give a fuck about the show? did you?

Again you keep describing yourself. Calling every one else on this board douchebags and assholes while being one of the biggest on the board. Can you ever have a civil fucking discourse with someone with out resorting to insults or general douchebaggery??

I really liked Roger Waters show I enjoyed Portishead a little more that weekend but that is just my opinion

rage patton
07-16-2008, 01:40 PM
Everyone here needs to take a bit of a chill pill.

frozen pilgrim
07-16-2008, 02:05 PM
okay. dude.
first off, I am completely capable of being civil.
look at any thread where someone else is being half reasonable and th- oh wait.
look at the current state of this fucking board.

agh.

I have been in this thread because someone kept saying over and over "roger waters is better than portishead. pportishead doesn't belong in the same sentence with a legend like roger waters", and I kept telling people to stop fucking comparing the two acts entirely, because it's like comparing a beautiful classic car with a beautiful old piece of jewelery (just for example).
doing it is insulting to both acts, because it's an unwinnable argument, because they don't make the same kind of music.

you didn't even read my opinions on the subject, you just picked a fight with me based some comment I made about banning idiots.
and you're calling ME a douchebag?

honestly, there's only one thing I can say to "you people" (blinken you may not be one, we may have just had a misunderstanding)

I forgive you for your idiocy.

I forgive you for your refusal to learn to communicate.

let's get this thread back on track.

does anyone know who that dick with the green laser pointer was?

OHOH!!

okay.

there was a group of people sitting on the ground eating pretzels in front of and to the left of the sound booth before the show, and some big extremely drunk guy started talking to them and wouldn't leave them alone even though he was being really intimidating and drunk and obnoxious and talking about how he was the mafia and some crap like that. then when the show started, he started yelling shit and whistling really obnoxiously, and the people he'd been bugging slipped away.

did anyone see that? was anyone else neat left-of-the-sound-booth whistling guy?

frozen pilgrim
07-16-2008, 02:07 PM
josh, you know I'm a jokingly-hateful but generally peaceful guy!
would a "douchebag" share their mister and host other board members under their Switzerland?

rage patton
07-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Haha. I know man. I was in no way implying you, or anyone else, in this thread was a douchebag. And that mister you got was an amazing idea haha. I will have to pick one up at Canadian tire for next year. Also for next year, we should try to once again have a neutral Switerland.
Anyways off topic. All I was saying was that this thread has gotten very intense, and basically over nothing. Everyone needs to breathe.
Then again, it is kind of entertaining to read...

bluemamba
07-16-2008, 02:39 PM
Your an idiot Pilgrim

I was not comparing Pink Floyd to Portishead in terms of music. Somebody earlier said something about how Portishead being pioneers of a genre and how they belong in the same breath as Pink Floyd/Beatles/Zeppelin. And i was replying to how Portishead is not up there with them in terms of POPULARITY and CREDIBILITY and simply GREATNESS and LEGENDARY STATUS. Portishead is not in the same LEGENDARY status as Pink Floyd. Why would i compare Nirvana to Beethoven in there music??* You can't. You can't compare an apple and a peach. If ive compared Roger Waters and Portishead in anything, its there show and performance, not music. When it comes to show and performance you can compare because Roger put more money into having a pig etc etc and was more of an emotional roller coaster to me.

You sir need to actually read comments or shut the fuck up before you start throwing names around saying they look "silly".

*an example

frozen pilgrim
07-16-2008, 02:44 PM
go away, mongoloid

satori777
07-16-2008, 03:18 PM

pink floyd><portishead
roger waters><portishead

At which point did I compare? Anything to anything??? I inquire about RotationSlimWang's expertise on what a 'real' Floyd show is and all of a sudden I'm comparing???

How thick are you?

zenidogx
07-16-2008, 03:44 PM
Your an idiot Pilgrim

that could be the name of punk band

satori777
07-16-2008, 03:50 PM
that could be the name of punk band

They could play punk that's not really punk...but the people in the band dress punk and it's sold at Hot Topic...so stupid people assume it's punk.

I imagine the band Idiot Pilgrim being about as 'punk' as Avril Lavigne

zenidogx
07-16-2008, 03:56 PM
i see Idiot Pilgrim as a chicano punk band fronted by a white guy.
they wear Che gear and pretty much ripoff Rage lyrics.

frozen pilgrim
07-16-2008, 05:29 PM
I used to be in a punk band that went through a bunch of names. idiot pilgrim is actually quite good though.
we didn't sound anything like avril though D:
we were part of the scene of bands that played the big bop/planet kensington in toronto like bunchofuckingoofs, dayglo abortions, pantychrist, the3tards, the antics. we played with DOA, the video dead, dirty bird... the sound is kind of an evolution of where west coast punk hit thrash metal. so like...
shit. socal punk and crossover thrash metal? really really fast, particularly un-melodic vocals, and a general lack of guitar wanking. just straight ahead, fast, angry, dirty canadian punk rock.

long story short, zeni, get over your crush on me.
this playground style hair-pulling isn't getting you any closer to Pilgrim's sleeping bag 09

zenidogx
07-16-2008, 05:31 PM
long story short, zeni, get over your crush on me.
this playground style hair-pulling isn't getting you any closer to Pilgrim's sleeping bag 09

you tease.

i have a crush on Waters. sexy old man.

and i like threads to stay on topic

frozen pilgrim
07-16-2008, 05:31 PM
oh- btw- zeni, you're right, you didn't compare squat. you just got caught in my blast radius. apologies.
you get some of those sleeping bag points back.

frozen pilgrim
07-16-2008, 05:32 PM
yes! on topic!

how friggin much do you guys want a giant laser prism for your backyard

greghead
07-16-2008, 05:50 PM
I want that thing for my living room

frozen pilgrim
07-16-2008, 06:28 PM
I'd want to have it rotating over the center of my hood

bluemamba
07-16-2008, 07:40 PM
Who would have known the name of a band would get started here...........

satori777
07-17-2008, 07:25 AM
I'd want to have it rotating over the center of my hood

If you had that thing as a hood ornament...well, you'd be just about the bees knees...

Probably not a good idea for the freeway though...

frozen pilgrim
07-17-2008, 08:15 AM
I meant like my neighbourhood.
guess I should have preceded the "hood" with an apostrophe.
although a miniature version on a car would be super tits. I'd want a mini DSOTM prism rotating between the two twin-turbo-v8 blocks of the w16 veyron engine
or, alternately, on the hood of a 1949 plymouth fleetline

bluemamba
07-17-2008, 11:05 AM
anyways.... getting back on track before this thread dies....

Roger put up the best show of 08!!

wolverine
07-19-2008, 12:34 PM
And you have seen a real Pink Floyd show? Caught one of the last 5 Wall shows in England? Those were the last 'real' Floyd shows...didn't know you were there...

lol

wolverine
07-19-2008, 12:36 PM

pink floyd><portishead
roger waters><portishead

[how fucking stupid are you people?

WHEN did this even start??!!!

It started when a few Portishead fans started bashing the Waters show rather then being positive in the neglected Portishead thread.

I agree, back on track.

wolverine
07-19-2008, 12:37 PM
here's the last third or so of on the run, taken by moi.
considering it was a $200 digital point and shoot, it turned out ok.

UlgjXtD1KtQ

Nice vid.

bluemamba
07-19-2008, 12:47 PM
It started when a few Portishead fans started bashing the Waters show rather then being positive in the neglected Portishead thread.

I agree, back on track.

Why do you think Portishead fans showed up here trying to put down Roger's show??

KickO
07-30-2008, 09:07 AM
this is why you bring friends with you to coachella
-make them see roger waters and record video
-while you watch Justice in the tent.

frozen pilgrim
07-30-2008, 09:10 AM
if you watched justice over waters, you fail

like...
even if roger waters hadn't played, seeing justice would've been a fail.
black mountain > justice
silence > justice
sleeping in the campground> justice

KickO
07-30-2008, 09:13 AM
idk i'm still having some regret not seeing them. i saw videos my friends recorded... and it looked like a awesome freakin show..

but its all gone.. can't go back in time.

bluemamba
08-02-2008, 07:58 PM
if you watched justice over waters, you fail

like...
even if roger waters hadn't played, seeing justice would've been a fail.
black mountain > justice
silence > justice
sleeping in the campground> justice

LMAO :lool

MarkO
08-02-2008, 08:13 PM
........ Roger put up the best show of 08!!

It was closer to a Broadway show than a concert.

bluemamba
08-02-2008, 08:40 PM

Shut up what do you know.....

satori777
08-03-2008, 07:19 AM

That's kind of the point. I don't think you're stepping out of any closets by saying that. The only real vision I have of any real Floyd shows is Live at Pompeii and a choppy vhs recording of one of the Wall shows. It seems to me that, although the music can speak for itself, Floyd was always into the big theater-like stage productions. In fact, other than the music, it's the first thing I believe people think about when they hear the name Pink Floyd. All I'm saying is that everyone that's bashing this show keeps saying that it was all lights and sparkle. Well, that's Roger's thing. Now, if you don't like Roger's thing then that's cool...your opinion counts. However, I don't think that insulting the man for doing a bang up job on a show that he's been doing since well before you were born is very productive or astute. Besides...what was Prince??? That's right, also a broadway show...with a severe metrosexual flair. Prince was awsomeness...but it was kind of the same thing without so many flashing lights. Oh, Bluemamba, if you disagree with someone try giving an intelligent counter argument. Insulting people whenever they disagree with you like some 13 year old internet fanboy from /b/ is retarded, annoying and makes want to slap Jack White.

bluemamba
08-03-2008, 12:02 PM
That's kind of the point. I don't think you're stepping out of any closets by saying that. The only real vision I have of any real Floyd shows is Live at Pompeii and a choppy vhs recording of one of the Wall shows. It seems to me that, although the music can speak for itself, Floyd was always into the big theater-like stage productions. In fact, other than the music, it's the first thing I believe people think about when they hear the name Pink Floyd. All I'm saying is that everyone that's bashing this show keeps saying that it was all lights and sparkle. Well, that's Roger's thing. Now, if you don't like Roger's thing then that's cool...your opinion counts. However, I don't think that insulting the man for doing a bang up job on a show that he's been doing since well before you were born is very productive or astute. Besides...what was Prince??? That's right, also a broadway show...with a severe metrosexual flair. Prince was awsomeness...but it was kind of the same thing without so many flashing lights. Oh, Bluemamba, if you disagree with someone try giving an intelligent counter argument. Insulting people whenever they disagree with you like some 13 year old internet fanboy from /b/ is retarded, annoying and makes want to slap Jack White.

Thats the thing. People dont understand that a Pig, pyro, lights etc etc. were all things that Pink Floyd had in their shows. They think just because Roger had that in his show hes trying to draw your attention away from the "poor musical execution". Thats not true. To me Roger put up the BEST SHOW of the weekend.

zenidogx
08-03-2008, 12:11 PM
makes [me] want to slap Jack White.

i have to start using this. haha. that's a great saying.

bluemamba
08-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Dont say that. I like JW.

sbessiso
08-03-2008, 02:26 PM
*sniff sniff*

JW Talk?

zenidogx
08-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Dont say that. I like JW.

"you're so annoying i want to slap JW"
i read it as:
"you're so annoying i want to slap JW so he could beat the crap out of me. it'd be more interesting than dealing with you"

bluemamba
08-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Ohh i see. interesting. funny.

Trick Loves The Kids
08-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Roger Waters: Greatest show in world history, or just Coachella history?

zenidogx
08-03-2008, 08:20 PM
greatest show in the history of ever

bluemamba
08-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Zenidoggystyle your gettin close to 1000 post. ill give you an early congrats b4 everybody.

satori777
08-03-2008, 08:31 PM
i have to start using this. haha. that's a great saying.

I said it just for you :pulse

satori777
08-03-2008, 08:35 PM
greatest show in the history of ever

That's a pretty bold statement. Didn't you hear? Portishead was at Coachella... :rolleyes

Animal Collective into Flogging Molly was the right choice. Even if I did like Portishead, being around all those emo crybabies would drive a man to shoot Death Cab for Cutie...

And yes...maybe it was the acid, maybe it was the mescaline...maybe it was seeing a rock god and childhood idol I thought I'd never have the honor of watching perform. Could have been that sound system. Maybe it was the girl twirling around in front of me the whole show. It was most likely a case of right place at the right time under perfect conditions with 30,000 or so people with me that I KNEW understood.

Whatever it was...I couldn't say. That feeling was so indescribable. It was like my mind was blown and all I could do was laugh about it.

I have been to 100s of shows and that was the most complete I've ever felt. Being there with friends. That energy, the knowledge that I was with my people and we all understood each other without speaking a word. That's what did it for me. That feeling of safety and security. That magical feeling that ONLY Coachella can bring. I found it. After three years I finally found it...

(this touching emo moment brought to you by Bacardi Rum. "If you find yourself getting emo, drink Bacardi. You'll be fist fighting in no time!")

bluemamba
08-03-2008, 09:24 PM
thank you for sharing that with us. I am now touched. i too felt complete at that concert and i am now searching for that feeling once again.

wolverine
08-03-2008, 09:49 PM
That's a pretty bold statement. Didn't you hear? Portishead was at Coachella... :rolleyes

Animal Collective into Flogging Molly was the right choice. Even if I did like Portishead, being around all those emo crybabies would drive a man to shoot Death Cab for Cutie...

And yes...maybe it was the acid, maybe it was the mescaline...maybe it was seeing a rock god and childhood idol I thought I'd never have the honor of watching perform. Could have been that sound system. Maybe it was the girl twirling around in front of me the whole show. It was most likely a case of right place at the right time under perfect conditions with 30,000 or so people with me that I KNEW understood.

Whatever it was...I couldn't say. That feeling was so indescribable. It was like my mind was blown and all I could do was laugh about it.

I have been to 100s of shows and that was the most complete I've ever felt. Being there with friends. That energy, the knowledge that I was with my people and we all understood each other without speaking a word. That's what did it for me. That feeling of safety and security. That magical feeling that ONLY Coachella can bring. I found it. After three years I finally found it...

(this touching emo moment brought to you by Bacardi Rum. "If you find yourself getting emo, drink Bacardi. You'll be fist fighting in no time!")

Great post. No one was ever as good as Pink Floyd live. A lot of that was due to Waters. He was the one behind it all, the sound reinforcement, getting all the audience into the sound system, the visuals, the tension, all of it.

"How can anyone ever think they were interesting enough to just show up and play? I find that awfully conceited and boring"

- Roger Waters

They never had a flashy frontman like Plant or Jagger, so instead they used their minds for their live shows - thinking of how they could fuck with the audience from every angle. All the technology, the tension and the drama was their version of "Jagger".

Waters@Coachella was just the complete package, a perfectly balanced attack. You get your political drama, your electronic mindfuck, powerful acoustic moments, the bizarre(Leaving Beirut), the epic (Sheep), soulful(Great Gig In the Sky), etc. There's just so many great aspects and songs he can throw at you, all with different styles, textures, momentum and emotion. The visuals are just the icing on a perfectly baked cake.

frozen pilgrim
08-03-2008, 09:50 PM
yep. also trying to get back that lovin' feelin'....
rancid tonight sure didn't cut it.

satori777
08-03-2008, 10:27 PM
The visuals are just the icing on a perfectly baked cake.

I fucking love cake...specially German Chocolate cake....mmmmmm

Well said. It was the whole package. Broadway meets rock and roll...just to fuck with you.

Pilgrim...I don't think Rancid is capable of bringing that loving feeling. Maybe a nosebleed ;-) I'm an Op Ivy fanboy so it's impossible for me to really like Rancid anyway.

zenidogx
08-04-2008, 01:13 AM
Zenidoggystyle your gettin close to 1000 post. ill give you an early congrats b4 everybody.

I said it just for you :pulse

aw shucks, you guys.

satori, i found the meaning of coachella during I'm From Barcelona, but Roger Waters was just Heavenchella. no booze required, straight from the heart.:winkiss

satori777
08-04-2008, 08:39 PM
aw shucks, you guys.

satori, i found the meaning of coachella during I'm From Barcelona, but Roger Waters was just Heavenchella. no booze required, straight from the heart.:winkiss

There was this blue flannel shirt, straw hat wearing, super tall hippie guy dancing his ass off right in front of me during I'm From Barcelona. He made my afternoon. I did get a wink of that lovin feeling while Datarock was performing Time of My Life...but Roger made everything wrong fade away into a soup of acceptance. It was one of those rare spiritual musical moments. One of those moments experianced during a Peter Murphy or BB King show...

MarkO
08-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Thats the thing. People dont understand that a Pig, pyro, lights etc etc. were all things that Pink Floyd had in their shows. They think just because Roger had that in his show hes trying to draw your attention away from the "poor musical execution". Thats not true. To me Roger put up the BEST SHOW of the weekend.

So you're saying he did sing well ? That his selection of material was spot on ?

It was by far the most exciting concert I've seen and the best sound I've ever experienced; I'll grant him that.

satori777
08-05-2008, 06:47 AM
So you're saying he did sing well ? That his selection of material was spot on ?

It was by far the most exciting concert I've seen and the best sound I've ever experienced; I'll grant him that.

He's a 60 year old man...what do you want from him? I think hw sang fantastically. I came in to the show knowing what Roger sounds like these days. I knew what to expect. Unlike everyone else around here, I didn't expect him to sound as good as he did 35 freakin years ago. He didn't disappoint. The song selection was incredible. Not only did we get DSOTM...but we got WYWH almost in it's entirety. And I haven't really asked anyone else, but personally I really really like Leaving Beruit. I thought that song was super well done and incredibly moving. Now don't bring out the flame hammer guys...but I thought Prince's song selection was a bit lacking. Though he put on an awsome show, I wanted to hear Prince songs...not Prince sing other people's songs. There's really no point arguing this anymore. Roger was sauce and I can hardly expect everone to agree. So yeah.

frozen pilgrim
08-05-2008, 08:31 AM
I was feeling curious, so I popped in the second disc of the gilmour DVD of albert hall, and was surprised to find from watching the massive selection of other performances that quite often, his vocals live are much more similar in timbre and style to waters than I had previously realized, especially in their golden years. I think waters vocals have actually improved. and while I won't even dignify accusations oflip syncing, it's fair to assume sometimes that artists have a mild-auto-tune filter on their vocal line, and he didn't- heh when you have to auto-tune lousy singers yourself, you can recognize the sound.

satori777
08-05-2008, 08:57 AM
I was feeling curious, so I popped in the second disc of the gilmour DVD of albert hall, and was surprised to find from watching the massive selection of other performances that quite often, his vocals live are much more similar in timbre and style to waters than I had previously realized, especially in their golden years. I think waters vocals have actually improved. and while I won't even dignify accusations oflip syncing, it's fair to assume sometimes that artists have a mild-auto-tune filter on their vocal line, and he didn't- heh when you have to auto-tune lousy singers yourself, you can recognize the sound.

Know what else I noticed while watching Pink Fraud's Pulse...and after seeing Roger live? Gilmour is rather easily and effectively replaced in live performances but when they try to replace Roger it turns into an epic fail. Just listen to that horrible rendition of Roger's song Comfortably Numb on Pulse. Did they even hold auditions or did Gilmour pick some random people off the street? Now...go and relisten to Roger's Coachella performance and see how easily replacable Gilmour is. IMO Roger is the unique one...the brains and the genius. Seems to me that Gilmour just got lucky and had a bad case of 'right place right time'. If there's any doubt...just listen to Animals

bluemamba
08-05-2008, 02:04 PM

Roger Waters didnt disappoint me. Ill say that much. The only song i didnt like how he sang was Wish You Were Here. That song is for Gilmour.

bluemamba
08-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Know what else I noticed while watching Pink Fraud's Pulse...and after seeing Roger live? Gilmour is rather easily and effectively replaced in live performances but when they try to replace Roger it turns into an epic fail. Just listen to that horrible rendition of Roger's song Comfortably Numb on Pulse. Did they even hold auditions or did Gilmour pick some random people off the street? Now...go and relisten to Roger's Coachella performance and see how easily replacable Gilmour is. IMO Roger is the unique one...the brains and the genius. Seems to me that Gilmour just got lucky and had a bad case of 'right place right time'. If there's any doubt...just listen to Animals

Well said my friend, well fucking said. Animals has awesome vocals by Roger.

frozen pilgrim
08-05-2008, 03:16 PM
kay, I don't agree at all.

all I said was that waters' vocal skill was comparable to gilmour's, based on current recordings.

gilmour, wright, and mason all contributed immensely.

guys, this is why some of the old schoolers hate you- you don't form reasonable opinions, you just say ridiculous shit all the time

satori777
08-05-2008, 03:57 PM
kay, I don't agree at all.

all I said was that waters' vocal skill was comparable to gilmour's, based on current recordings.

gilmour, wright, and mason all contributed immensely.

guys, this is why some of the old schoolers hate you- you don't form reasonable opinions, you just say ridiculous shit all the time

WTF are you talking about? I made a comparison...about vocal stylings. I understand the contribution of all the members p to and including DSOTM. I understand that Gilmour was part of Floyd...however, his vocals seemed to me to be easier to replicate on any given track. My comparison came from watching Pulse and being at Coachella.

I could give a fuck about any "old timers" liking me or not...My opinion was reasonable because I made a statement based on an observation. If I feel the need to say ridiculous shit all the time than I will. I don't believe that what I said was ridiculous. Seems to me that the "old timers" spend more time complaining and whining than anything else anyway...

I'm done explaining myself. I don't even know why I fucking did it in the first place.

Older Waters and Gilmour had a harmony together. Gilmour's vocals stayed there while Roger started screaming more...

garynvegas
08-05-2008, 05:44 PM
This thread is making me so mental. I'm a lurker, and this is actually my husband's account. I can't seem to get my profile activated, but I just couldn't stay quiet any longer.

If you found Roger Waters to be the best show of the weekend, then good for you. I'm not trying to devalue your experience. But all this fucking babble is driving me insane.

I saw Pink Floyd in 94 on the Division Bell tour. No Waters. I was 16, I was obsessed, and it still ranks as one of my favorite concerts ever ever. Going into Coachella, Waters was one of my most eagerly anticipated performances. I was excited, to say the least.

I left after Dark Side. The sound system was amazing. The light show was neat. But "performance"? Roger Waters went thru the motions for an incredibly over-produced spectacle. Is that what music has become? I don't know about you, but when I go to a show, I want to feel like I'm witnessing something unique. Something beautiful. Something spontaneous and fun. Not some old geezer cashing in on music he wrote 30 years ago who's not even enjoying himself. Or who even sounds good.

I saw the same show 15 years ago. There were flying pigs, there were lasers, there was Syd Barrett tributes. Nothing has changed. Except the quality of the speakers.

As for whether or not Gilmour is replaceable, that's just silly. Gilmour sings Waters songs just as well as anyone. Isn't it all just covering now anyway? 30 years later, without Floyd, Waters is just covering his own songs. Poorly. Take away the shiny lights, there's no substance. Just because you know all the words doesn't mean the songs have meaning anymore.

Waters was a joke. I don't go to Coachella for musical theater. Or to watch some old rich white guy dupe me into believing he's still relevant. I go for the music. Which Waters sucked at.

frozen pilgrim
08-05-2008, 05:52 PM
you provide no evidence to support anything you say.
go away.
if you'd actually read the thread, you'd realize everything you said has been argued to the death a thousand times already

sbessiso
08-05-2008, 05:53 PM
how is this thread still going oooooon

we need to gay it up or something

frozen pilgrim
08-05-2008, 05:55 PM
I just want it to be deleted

sbessiso
08-05-2008, 06:01 PM
settle for the next best thing

go Mike go!

http://img.perezhilton.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/82180518__oPt.jpg

garynvegas
08-05-2008, 06:04 PM
you provide no evidence to support anything you say.
go away.
if you'd actually read the thread, you'd realize everything you said has been argued to the death a thousand times already

What kind of evidence are you asking me to supply exactly? It's conjecture. And I HAVE read this board, but can only come back to it intermittently. Otherwise I have to read high school kids wank all over Roger Waters as if he still mattered. I've listened to the David Gilmour didn't really matter argument a million times. If he didn't really matter, if Comfortably Numb was only Waters song, then why does the guitar solo rule so fucking much? Arguing about Pink Floyd is boring. They don't matter anymore.

Anyway, aren't you the douchebag who argued with and belittled your girlfriend and her friend all weekend? The cute girls with all the tats who are way too good looking for your skinny ass? Took your passport and went back to Canada? Did you even make it to see Waters, or were you still wandering around crying?

frozen pilgrim
08-05-2008, 06:11 PM
not this board, this thread.
I don't have to respond to anything you just said, because everything's been covered. I can't believe you wasted so much time typing all of that to me... you evidently have no understanding of my opinion on this subject.
troll.

frozen pilgrim
08-05-2008, 06:13 PM
actually, the cute girl with the tattoos had a huge fit because she didn't want to watch prince. if you'd like to see the pictures of the three of us all happy and enjoying waters together, go check the pictures thread.

sbessiso
08-05-2008, 06:15 PM
I wouldn't let anyone stop me from seeing Prince

can't we all just get along??

http://therollcall.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/jake11wd.jpg

frozen pilgrim
08-05-2008, 06:16 PM
exactly- she got upset because I wouldn't go back to the camground

garynvegas
08-05-2008, 06:17 PM
And I quote, "I'm packing up my stuff and I'm taking my passport and I'm going back to Canada! Three years! THRRREEE YEEEAAARRS and our relationship has never recovered!"

I was there. You suck.

satori777
settle for the next best thing

go Mike go!

http://img.perezhilton.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/82180518__oPt.jpg

OMG!!! He is soooo hot. Do you have his number? I want to rub crisco all over my body and dance around to Cher while trying to apply a condom to a cucumber with my teeth.

Gay enough...or do you need it gayer?

sbessiso
fuck that bitch up!

and who are you exactly garynvegas? stop being so angry!

that will do for now satori777, just trying to change the mood in here. is it working?

satori777
08-05-2008, 06:26 PM
What kind of evidence are you asking me to supply exactly? It's conjecture. And I HAVE read this board, but can only come back to it intermittently. Otherwise I have to read high school kids wank all over Roger Waters as if he still mattered. I've listened to the David Gilmour didn't really matter argument a million times. If he didn't really matter, if Comfortably Numb was only Waters song, then why does the guitar solo rule so fucking much? Arguing about Pink Floyd is boring. They don't matter anymore.

Anyway, aren't you the douchebag who argued with and belittled your girlfriend and her friend all weekend? The cute girls with all the tats who are way too good looking for your skinny ass? Took your passport and went back to Canada? Did you even make it to see Waters, or were you still wandering around crying?

So is what you're saying is you never saw a real Floyd show? Are you so fucking dense that you don't realize that ALL Floyd shows were over produced spectacles?

And the part about Floyd not mattering anymore...well I'll just leave that to your own delusion. What happened? Did Roger and Dave touch your private place when you were young?

garynvegas
08-05-2008, 06:27 PM
I'm not angry. And I'm not Gary. Gary's my husband. I hijacked his account.

I just won't be dismissed by some whiny little wank with a bitch voice who acts superior on a fucking message board. I had to listen to him all. weekend. long.

frozen pilgrim
08-05-2008, 06:28 PM
please get out of our board

sbessiso
08-05-2008, 06:29 PM
wait a second, do you know garynvegas, pilgrim?

satori777
08-05-2008, 06:30 PM
fuck that bitch up!

and who are you exactly garynvegas? stop being so angry!

that will do for now satori777, just trying to change the mood in here. is it working?

Totally worked. Thanx