PDA

View Full Version : The reason Sean Penn is there

stinkbutt
04-23-2008, 12:07 PM
JOIN "THE DIRTY HANDS CARAVAN"

A MOVEMENT DESIGNED TO

"INSPIRE INDIVIDUALS TO TAKE INDIVIDUAL ACTION"

The morning after the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival in Indio, CA, a string of bio-diesel buses transporting up to 300 people will caravan 1800 miles in an effort designed to engage a new generation of activists. The Dirty Hands Caravan is the coming together of individuals who will be encouraged to get involved by building houses for the homeless, protesting the War in Iraq while supporting the needs of veterans and their families, caring for the sick or needy, cleaning up parks or neighborhoods across America, taking part in clean water initiatives for foreign lands or engaging in whatever way they feel compelled to help others. The caravan, which is the brainchild of Sean Penn, will make stops in numerous cities until it arrives at its final destination, New Orleans, where the spirit of Coachella will join the close of the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival. On Sunday, May 4th, members of The Dirty Hands Caravan will descend on New Orleans to help better the Big Easy through their good works.

Participants in the caravan will have their food, water, transportation and campground accommodations paid for in exchange for their service. As the bio-diesel buses make their way across U.S. cities, members of the caravan will be offered opportunities to volunteer on behalf of established local organizations. However, members of the caravan are free to choose whatever cause or do whatever good they feel inspired to do, whether it is officially organized or not. The goal of The Dirty Hands Caravan is to get people engaged and active in their world. Good works will be done, but the caravan's overall mission is to “encourage individuals to take individual actions.” To offer inspiration, the caravan will stop at campgrounds where individuals will have the chance to hear from musicians, activists, artists, filmmakers and guest speakers who will offer ideas on how to stand up for what you believe in and then effectively implement those ideas.

Those individuals seeking to join The Dirty Hands Caravan will need to fill out an application in advance. To request an application go to our temporary website http://thedirtyhandscaravan.ifanz.net. The official website www.thedirtyhandscaravan.com is coming soon. The buses will depart the Coachella Festival parking lot at Noon on Monday, April 28th. Participants must be at least 18 years of age and should plan on being away from their homes and families for at least ten days. Buses will depart New Orleans for the Coachella grounds at Midnight, May 5th and will return to Los Angeles by May 7th. Up to 300 people may be traveling on The Dirty Hands Caravan bio-diesel buses, but organizers hope many more will follow by any means they can, and encourage their friends and family to join them in New Orleans.

From coachella website

faxman75
04-23-2008, 12:09 PM
Call me crazy but I want in on this. I really think it would be fun and gratifying.

Blinken
04-23-2008, 12:10 PM
I would want to do this if i didn't have bills and job.

Cancersticks1
04-23-2008, 12:10 PM
to kidnap us?

krk67
04-23-2008, 12:11 PM
Call me crazy but I want in on this. I really think it would be fun and gratifying.

You aren't crazy at all.

Coachella Bound
04-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Yeah, oh hey boss...umm yeah. Im in New Orleans, you know helping out. Uhh...Ill be back in a week or so if thats ok. Uhhh. yeah Im not going to be able to make my car payment this month. You see I was in New Orleans with Sean Penn building houses. Thats excusable, right?

Senor Cardgage
04-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Yeah Ill just leave all my shit in my hotel and quit my job

stinkbutt
04-23-2008, 12:14 PM
If they would have announced this sooner I could have done it but two days before the festival is ridiculous.

summerkid
[QUOTE=Coachella Bound;578507]Yeah, oh hey boss...umm yeah. Im in New Orleans, you know helping out. Uhh...Ill be back in a week or so if thats ok. Uhhh. yeah Im not going to be able to make my car payment this month. You see I was in New Orleans with Sean Penn building houses. Thats excusable, right?[/QUOTE

haha seriously.

scoop49er
its a cool thing if u have no fucking life! wanna make a difference? work within ur town or city or county. make a difference in ur area before u help others.

beavington
04-23-2008, 12:17 PM
i wish i had more time to plan for this, because I would totally to do. Sounds like a blast hopefully it will be successful

Young blood
04-23-2008, 12:17 PM
what about drugs?

faxman75
04-23-2008, 12:19 PM
i'm currently in transition. I do have a job but this is more important at the moment I think. I tried signing up but they are having kinks as I filled out all the info and it said I didn't fill out all the info. Fuckers. I will try again in a bit.

I dunno, I always wanted to join the peace corps but they require a fucking degree. 10 days ain't bad either. I think I can do this.

faxman75
04-23-2008, 12:19 PM
what about drugs?

sounds like a great way to detox after Coachella.

faxman75
04-23-2008, 12:23 PM
Keep getting a connection error as I try to sign up. They are still tinkering with it as I see an image that wasn't there before and now they have new questions at the bottom as well.

beavington
04-23-2008, 12:24 PM
I dunno, I always wanted to join the peace corps but they require a fucking degree. 10 days ain't bad either. I think I can do this.

I thought there were places you could go without a degree...

Blinken
04-23-2008, 12:25 PM

Prison?

twoheadedboy
04-23-2008, 12:26 PM
dont drink the kool-aid, kids

dude.. this reminds me of that stupid stupid scene in across the universe with bono...

the 300 people who go on this thing.. i have a feeling we will never see them again

sean penn is secretly bono

Young blood
04-23-2008, 12:29 PM
beating drums and whips and chains. Sean Penn with a bullhorn shouting out orders.........wait... thats my fantasy.....

amyzzz
04-23-2008, 12:33 PM
Leave of absence

faxman75
04-23-2008, 12:33 PM

I looked into about 5 years ago. not sure if things have changed but the requirement on their website stated college degree required. Might even have been a bachelors. I was dispointed.

stinkbutt
04-23-2008, 12:34 PM
sean penn is secretly bono

They both do seem like assholes even when they're doing good things in the world

faxman75
04-23-2008, 12:37 PM
Aha, they have changed or they had misinormation up in the past.

Peace Corp

Having a four-year college degree by the time you're ready to leave for the Peace Corps will help your chances of acceptance. But it isn't absolutely necessary, and for some programs work experience, relevant skills, and/or a community college degree can qualify you.

twoheadedboy
04-23-2008, 12:38 PM
They both do seem like assholes even when they're doing good things in the world

yeah..

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FY3NxPMYaAw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FY3NxPMYaAw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

they think they are so damn awesome because they are so damn charitable

captncrzy
04-23-2008, 12:40 PM
If they would have announced this sooner I could have done it but two days before the festival is ridiculous.

My thoughts exactly.

captncrzy
04-23-2008, 12:40 PM
yeah..

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FY3NxPMYaAw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FY3NxPMYaAw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

they think they are so damn awesome because they are so damn charitable

One of my favorite SP's of all time.

twoheadedboy
04-23-2008, 12:43 PM
One of my favorite SP's of all time.

hahah yeah it is so fantastic

gelwoodpeterson
04-23-2008, 12:56 PM
This may be a stretch, but picking up on the idea that the name is a filler for a yet-to-be-announced artist and that Sean Penn directed "Into the Wild" in which the lead character passed through Coachella during his journey, I'm thinking that the name "Sean Penn" may code for a surprise announcement regarding the artist who wrote and performed the film's soundtrack and who also just wrapped his recent solo tour in nearby San Diego.

Is Eddie Vedder performing at Coachella on Sunday?

Todfilm
04-23-2008, 12:57 PM
This may be a stretch, but picking up on the idea that the name is a filler for a yet-to-be-announced artist and that Sean Penn directed "Into the Wild" in which the lead character passed through Coachella during his journey, I'm thinking that the name "Sean Penn" may code for a surprise announcement regarding the artist who wrote and performed the film's soundtrack and who also just wrapped his recent solo tour in nearby San Diego.

Is Eddie Vedder performing at Coachella on Sunday?

No.

PotVsKtl
04-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Go fuck yourself.

BeeII
04-23-2008, 01:00 PM
"yeah, mister boss, you know how i requested 4 days off, actually I need 10 more days."

"Why?"

"dude, its spicoli, and we're going to New Orleans to like clean it up and shit"

paganman7
04-23-2008, 01:00 PM
That's a super sweet gig if you live in New Orleans and have no other way of getting home after the festival!

PotVsKtl
04-23-2008, 01:10 PM
I don't consider any gig in which I'm forced to touch or come into close contact with poors and peasants to be particularly "sweet." Who loves buboes? Dirty Hands loves buboes.

Young blood
04-23-2008, 01:12 PM
Seriously. Just tossing some shillings in the boot at the entrance.

kreutz2112
04-23-2008, 01:16 PM
haha. Shillings.

SFChrissy
04-23-2008, 01:47 PM
thats cool!!!

comedeysal
04-23-2008, 01:49 PM
im down!

bottomfeeder
04-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Hey Bud, let's party! :thu

NoneForMeThanks
04-23-2008, 02:08 PM
This is awesome. I am jealous of anyone that gets to go.

I told my boss that if I win the lottery tonight, I'm going to hop on a bus to New Orleans with Sean Penn. She said "That's fine. Just keep me updated."

CalmerThanYou
04-23-2008, 02:12 PM
I told my boss that if I win the lottery tonight, I'm going to hop on a bus to New Orleans with Sean Penn. She said "That's fine. Just keep me updated."

Fucking awesome. Best post today.

faxman75
04-23-2008, 02:24 PM
I'm not telling my boss anything. I will however call them Monday night or tuesday morning and tell them I ain't gonna be back for ten days, sorry, if you have to let me go I understand. :) I planned on quiting the job in mid June anyway. It's all so Into the Wild though not really. I think this may happen. I signed up and confirmed my e-mail, however I never recieved an application. I'm assuming they may have the applicatoins at Coachella, i'll keep my eyes open.

chrisb21
04-23-2008, 02:29 PM
I'm with all the "lousy timing" posts. maybe they don't want a bunch of people from California and there are stops along the way to pick up more people who will not require as much effort to house/feed/get home. Nice idea, but Idon't think we're the real target audience.

faxman75
04-23-2008, 02:33 PM
I think this was thrown together last minue grass roots and will continue all through the summer with more and more recruitments.

kitt kat
04-23-2008, 03:31 PM
If it was during the summer, I'd do it.

Adventure Time with Sean Penn!

braundiggity
04-23-2008, 03:53 PM
This is cool, and if I didn't have work I'd totally do it.

But I have a really bad feeling that Sean's gonna get booed. Especially when he speaks on the mainstage. People will want to hear music, not Sean Penn.

I hope he gets a warm reception for something like this, but I'm afraid of the boo birds and Coachella getting a bad rep.

woogie846
04-23-2008, 03:58 PM
This actually sounds really cool, but I don't think I'll be able to make it.

I'm just curious how Sean Penn is going to talk for 30 minutes about the subject.

luckyface
04-23-2008, 03:59 PM
I'd rather listen to Jack Johnson than a speech about what Sean Penn thinks I should be doing with my life.

Hawkings
04-23-2008, 04:18 PM
anyone got a set list or know if he's doing the old stuff off Trance is Dead ?

faxman75
04-23-2008, 05:34 PM
Most of us are hoping for some Fast Times scenes and other greatest hits.

twilight monkey
04-23-2008, 10:23 PM
you never know...it's possible. it's coachella we're talking about here, chalk-full of surprises.

adctvprsnlty
04-23-2008, 10:37 PM
I sure hope his biodiesel's not ethanol-based, otherwise he could ultimately be doing the poor more harm than good...

luckyface
04-23-2008, 10:48 PM
The Vedder rumor (http://consequenceofsound.net/2008/04/23/update-sean-penn-and-coachella/) is starting to gain some legs.

uniform72
04-23-2008, 11:03 PM
If you even think about heckling him with some reference to Fast Times, he will jump off the stage and kill you with his bare dirty hands.

comedeysal
04-24-2008, 12:14 AM
anyone get a reply after submitting app?

DuctTapedGerbil
04-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Does anyone remember that after hurricane Katrina, Sean Penn took a little motor boat down to new orleans and tried to rescue people from their rooftops? The only problem was that his boat was full of camera men and therefore he could not fit any people on his boat. I think it flipped over and he ended up having to be rescued. Well, I dont think that happened, but it would have been funny if he did. That guy seems disorganized and his mind is on another planet...if you go with him you will end up eating the bad berries like the guy in Into the Wild.