PDA

View Full Version : And meanwhile Arcade Fire is....

shotglass75
04-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Arcade Fire Plan Obama Shows With Superchunk!
Photo by Drew Angerer

Given how amazing these gigs turned out, who wouldn't want another round of Arcade Fire rallies for presidential hopeful Barack Obama? And with the North Carolina Democratic primary looming on May 6, that's just what we'll get.

After big-upping a recent Jay Reatard performance (not all Canadians hate him, see?) in a message posted to his web "scrapbook", Arcade Fire frontguy Win Butler writes, "Speaking of a high energy band with great melodies, we might be playing a couple of free outdoor shows in North Carolina for the Obama campaign with SUPERCHUNK!!! How cool would that be!"

How cool ain't the half of it, brother! And cooler still is that it is indeed happening. According to Merge, the Arcade Fire and Superchunk will link up in early May for a pair of afternoon Obama Early Vote Rally performances: May 1 at Greensboro's Coliseum Complex Pavilion Parking Lot, and May 2 at Carrboro's Town Commons. Free tickets are required for the gigs, both of which begin at 2 p.m. More info can be found here. Biking, walking, car-pooling, and public transportation are encouraged!

And hmm, a quick look at fellow Obama-backer Bruce Springsteen's calendar reveals the Boss will in fact be hanging along the Atlantic Seaboard in late April. Wouldn't hurt to stick around just a few more days, eh Bruce? Eh??

Arcade Fire + Superchunk:

05-01 Greensboro, NC - Coliseum Complex Pavilion Parking Lot
05-02 Carrboro, NC - Town Commons
Video: Arcade Fire

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/50106-arcade-fire-plan-obama-shows-with-superchunk

Sushov23
04-22-2008, 02:18 PM
come on ARCADE FIRE, please come back to cali. WE LOVE YOU.

MissingPerson
04-22-2008, 02:19 PM
Band getting kudos from Win Butler regarding their live performance is pretty nifty.

iv3rdawG
04-22-2008, 02:37 PM
They need to take some time off.

MissingPerson
04-22-2008, 02:40 PM
That's how Chinese Democracy happens, iv3rdawG.

kitt kat
04-22-2008, 04:04 PM
KILL YOURSELF.

><

ThomThom
04-22-2008, 04:11 PM
I don't want to see Arcade Fire come back here for another 2 years. 2007 was a bit much.

MissingPerson
04-22-2008, 04:14 PM
That's a tone unbecoming of a Jigglypuff.

kitt kat
04-22-2008, 04:16 PM
well it's an obamallamayomama hating jigglypuff.

i just hate that all these trendy things are jumping on obama to rally up young support. american apparel, arcade fire, bright eyes....actors and actresses, etc etc. raghhhh. half of the people i know who like obama only like him because he's TRENDY to like, not because they know anything about him.

MissingPerson
04-22-2008, 04:26 PM
I can't say the same for anybody else on Obama's bandwagon, but Butler's done his political homework. He's been voicing his support for Obama the past year and a half at least. Whatever can be said about Win Butler, he's not a stupid guy, nor is he the kind of guy to jump into something for the sake of his image. He really, really believes in the guy.

humanoid
04-22-2008, 04:51 PM

i just hate that all these trendy things are jumping on obama to rally up young support. american apparel, arcade fire, bright eyes....actors and actresses, etc etc. raghhhh. half of the people i know who like obama only like him because he's TRENDY to like, not because they know anything about him.

I agree completely....I've tried to engage many of my friends in conversation regarding the actual reasons that they are pro-Obama, and I've yet to learn a single thing from any of them

for the record, I don't think Hilary or McCain are better, I'm just curious about what Obama actually stands for beyond "hope" or "change"

humanoid
04-22-2008, 04:52 PM
obama's a poop-head!....we live in a society... with trendy bands and people and stuff ... and they're excited about the political process...and they're stupid..i hate it and stuff!!

there is some common sense if I've ever heard any...thank you Tom Paine!!

MissingPerson
04-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Not to turn into Subbass or anything, but as an outsider looking in, I've been extremely impressed by Obama's attitude to foreign policy in particular, and I was genuinely surprised by some of the gutsy smaller decisions he's made about how he's running his campaign.

bballarl
04-22-2008, 05:01 PM
I would care a lot more if this was about MBV.

MissingPerson
04-22-2008, 05:37 PM
Daft Punk! Radiohead! Kraftwerk! Unfeasible anecdote about drugs!

Now this is the best thread ever.

suprefan
04-22-2008, 05:48 PM
come on ARCADE FIRE, please come back to cali. WE LOVE YOU.

They already played in San Diego, you missed your chance, poo on you.

kitt kat
04-22-2008, 06:33 PM
I agree completely....I've tried to engage many of my friends in conversation regarding the actual reasons that they are pro-Obama, and I've yet to learn a single thing from any of them

for the record, I don't think Hilary or McCain are better, I'm just curious about what Obama actually stands for beyond "hope" or "change"

Hahaha. Totally. "Hope" and "Change" are such vauge, lofty single-word maxim's that, while look good on a campaign poster and sound super awesome and revolutionary, are much harder to achieve given the state of the United States right now. One can't launch themselves behind such pretentious and hard-to-pinpoint words and expect to win the presidency. Just sayin'.

I know this isn't the politics thread, but I am not an Obama supporter for personal reasons regarding his immigration policy. If you're really interested why, you can ask me. But back to the topic at hand, I don't get down on people who HAVE done their political research. Rather, I meant to highlight why I think so many young people love Obama---because people they admire like him. It's a "jumping on the bandwagon" type situation. (ie: I like Arcade Fire. Arcade Fire likes Obama. Therefore, I like Obama.) I see this all the time at USC where it's "hip" to be down with Obama and wear "CHANGE" shirts around campus. Slogans are nice and all, but logical fallacies never got anyone anywhere.

I love Arcade Fire with a passion, but Butler's (and any celebrity, clothing line, TV show, publication, etc. for that matter) fervent support of the man is not going to change my stance on him as a politician in any way.

ShyGuy75
04-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Hmmm... Hope and Change....lets see

For starters, Changing the way the WOT is being run. That entails Changing the way we are occupying Iraq, Hoping that the Iraqi leaders get their shit in order, and Changing our approach to the tribal areas of Pakistan.

Or

Change the way the broken healthcare system is being run. Hope that enough of Congress works with you on this issue, along with many others, in a bipartisan way.

Or

Changing the way that lobbyists control Washington.

Or

Hoping that running campaigns on fear instead of fact Changes.

I know this isn't a political thread, but....blah blah blah.

While talking about things like this while so ignorantly labeling people you don't know anything about and whom obviously know more about the situation at hand than you think they may, I would suggest one at the very very least pays attention to what is being said about such "slogans" as Hope and Change. Just sayin...

suprefan
04-22-2008, 10:28 PM
You done bitching?

ShyGuy75
04-22-2008, 10:30 PM
No bitching allowed, Supredouche.

I'm here to help those who don't understand English.

microloveb
04-22-2008, 10:39 PM
obama probably hates arcade fire.

kitt kat
04-23-2008, 12:46 AM
While talking about things like this while so ignorantly labeling people you don't know anything about and whom obviously know more about the situation at hand than you think they may, I would suggest one at the very very least pays attention to what is being said about such "slogans" as Hope and Change. Just sayin...

And the second thing I hate about Obamaheads?

The fact that they get so freakin' offended anytime someone doesn't agree with them! YAYYYY!!! DON'T TAKE IT SO PERSONALLY!!!!

http://www.groupii.com/mcparty/images/KidsParty.jpg

PARTY WHOOOOOOO!

No. But seriously. Why do you have to get all emotional when I say that "change" and "hope" are lofty things to aspire to? Hm?

psycobetabuckdown
04-23-2008, 01:26 AM
I've never talked to anyone who supported Obama for any reason other than A) he's black, b) he's a democrat, and/or c) he's so ADORABLE!

Change...Not inherently good, douche. You say "good speaker" I say "good propagandist."

Arcade Fire is Canadian, just so you know.

crazzz2007
04-23-2008, 01:39 AM
They already played in San Diego, you missed your chance, poo on you.

go fuck yourself you piece of shit loser.

MissingPerson
04-23-2008, 03:56 AM

As they've been careful to point out whenever they're speaking in an Obama context, the Butler brothers actually hail from Texas and Regine is a dual citizen who's father fought in Vietnam. Just so you know.

I love Arcade Fire with a passion, but Butler's (and any celebrity, clothing line, TV show, publication, etc. for that matter) fervent support of the man is not going to change my stance on him as a politician in any

Which is fair enough. In fairness to Win, he's made an effort to distance this a little from the full-on Arcade Fire experience. I think he's quite wary of turning into Bono.

I think it's easy to pick on Obama's more... uh... zealous supporters, and attack all the sparkly rhetoric, but there is substance behind the fluff if you look for it. Kitt katt at least objects to a policy, so fair enough. I find it frustrating that many people opposing Obama focus on his supporters rather than his actual policies. As common a tendency as it is for Obama supporters to go overboard with the hope/ change/ "he's dreamy!"-ness, it's almost equally common to attack Obama himself - or rather his candidacy - on that basis, rather than forming an argument.

ShyGuy75
04-23-2008, 06:54 AM
I must have missed the part where I got offended or said I am an Obama supporter. Was just pointing out what I thought was a very uniformed comment.

But yeah............Arcade Fire!!!

kitt kat
04-23-2008, 07:20 AM
I don't get down on people who HAVE done their political research. Rather, I meant to highlight why I think so many young people love Obama---because people they admire like him.

Ahem...

Like I said, if you have your political reasons for liking Obama and can explain those to me, I don't care. Apples and oranges, I say.

thepoetblue
04-23-2008, 07:46 AM
I've never talked to anyone who supported Obama for any reason other than A) he's black, b) he's a democrat, and/or c) he's so ADORABLE!

That's odd. Everyone I know who supports Obama is quite well-thought out on why he's superior to Clinton on issues. His health care plan is superior to Hill's, he was right about the war in Iraq when she was wrong. (As someone who marched in the Hollywood march against the war, that's very important to me). On the issue of change, which is obviously important when we're currently doing is asinine... Obama understands the importance of changing HOW we do things as opposed to just WHAT we do... something Hill doesn't seem to get.

But those are just my opinions and I'm not all fevered when I hear someone doesn't support Obama.

inutil
04-23-2008, 09:12 AM

Change...Not inherently good, douche. You say "good speaker" I say "good propagandist."

Win is American, but what's it matter, do I have to be German to loath the actions of Hitler in the 40's?

ThomThom
04-23-2008, 09:16 AM
Microlove, I thought you were banned you son of a bitch.

microloveb
04-23-2008, 10:56 AM
Microlove, I thought you were banned you son of a bitch.

was

menikmati
04-23-2008, 11:06 AM
I love Arcade Fire!

Young blood
04-23-2008, 11:07 AM
RADIOHEAD!

Blinken
04-23-2008, 11:08 AM
His health care plan is better than hers, that is my number one reason. She will say he is not giving everyone healthcare but her plan is complete crap. It is bought and paid for by the insurance companies. Do you know how much they will make if everyone is forced to buy healthcare from their broken system. What if you don't make enough for the government to pay for your healthcare, but not enough to buy your own? You will get fined for not having healthcare and still be without it. Look at Mass. were this plan has gone into effect, you have poor people who choose to pay the fine because it is cheaper than health insurance. Obama's plan makes changes in the broken system that will get more people health care, with out forcing them to buy it. It is a step in the right direction. If the system is fixed you don't need to force people to get healthcare.

TomAz
04-23-2008, 11:20 AM

you don't have a fucking clue why people like him. You just know that you don't. The rest you have just made up in your head to make yourself feel better.

MissingPerson
04-23-2008, 12:39 PM
See, this is the thing, I'm not an American, so a discussion among Americans about their favoured candidate kind of helps me get a handle on the mood and the issues at play. But all I'm getting is weird text-form dance-offs between rival crews. I know what Obama stands for, roughly, but I don't know much about Clinton other than that she's cartoonishly unlikeable, and I know even less about McCain.

kitt kat
04-23-2008, 03:50 PM
you don't have a fucking clue why people like him. You just know that you don't. The rest you have just made up in your head to make yourself feel better.

Wrong.

I can tell why intelligent, respectable people like him. He's charming, accessable, smart, and fresh-faced. He (most of the time) knows what he's talking about.

But why does the idiotic bimbo, blonde, sorority, Kanye West-loving chick love him? Why does the white guy who dresses like he's black like him? Because he's "cool", "in", "Trendy" and supposedly against the archetypal American political establishment.

Geez.

Sushov23
04-23-2008, 03:55 PM
CLINTON + OBAMA=FAIL
Chaney=FAIL.
Our country needs a social revolution
THAT IS PASSING>

microloveb
04-23-2008, 04:44 PM
CLINTON + OBAMA=FAIL
Chaney=FAIL.
Our country needs a social revolution
THAT IS PASSING>

SEAN PENN FOR PREZ

Goodtoknow
04-23-2008, 04:55 PM
sean penn's running?

EDIT: Please, understand that I am kidding.

psycobetabuckdown
04-23-2008, 11:58 PM
That's odd. Everyone I know who supports Obama is quite well-thought out on why he's superior to Clinton on issues. His health care plan is superior to Hill's, he was right about the war in Iraq when she was wrong. (As someone who marched in the Hollywood march against the war, that's very important to me). On the issue of change, which is obviously important when we're currently doing is asinine... Obama understands the importance of changing HOW we do things as opposed to just WHAT we do... something Hill doesn't seem to get.

But those are just my opinions and I'm not all fevered when I hear someone doesn't support Obama.

Well, I wasn't making a comment about Hillary. I voted for Obama in the California primary. I wanted to vote for Paul, but my registration change didn't work out. Anyway, I agree he's better than Hillary. But I am in my 20s like most of the people on this board, I assume, and I have not heard one person give a good reason for voting for him besides that they hate Hillary, or those 3 reasons I gave before.

You just gave me something, but it's hardly more than nothing. First, his healthcare plan is almost identical to Hillary's. They're both socialized medicine, bad idea. Federal government should not control your health care. The war? Yes, he's the most likely of the 3 remaining candidates to do something about it, but I don't trust him that much. Plus, he voted for it too...

The change talk you just referred to is a bunch of political jibber jabber. It means nothing. I still don't understand what change he's going to bring OR how he's going to do it, and I've watched him in debates and coverage in the news. In fact, I'm convinced he's not going to bring much change. He may give good speeches or something...

MissingPerson
04-25-2008, 03:54 AM
Actually, while I'm at it: I'm curious about how Hilary's "Holy Spirit" speeches were received in America, generally?