circles
04-22-2008, 09:14 AM
mexico
june 05 • teatro degollado, guadalajara »
june 07 • festival la colmena, tepoztlan, mexico city »
june 08 • multiculti, tijuana »
united states
june 14 • bonnaroo festival, manchester, tennessee

hopefully they play some US shows to fill that gap.

wmgaretjax
04-22-2008, 09:16 AM
Here is an introduction to the upcoming shows thread:
http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13

While Sigur Ros is deserving of all the acclaim we can muster, you'll get a pretty good audience in that thread.

Basskitten85
04-22-2008, 09:16 AM
I love Sigur Ros

ThomThom
04-22-2008, 09:17 AM
Here is an introduction to the upcoming shows thread:
http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13

While Sigur Ros is deserving of all the acclaim we can muster, you'll get a pretty good audience in that thread.

The newest member of the forum police... "The Nice One".

wmgaretjax
04-22-2008, 09:25 AM
The newest member of the forum police... "The Nice One".

I was trying to be nice... It's just this has already been posted and discussed in detail... And when I see "Sigur Ros" posts I get excited for new info or dates or whatever... So this thread left me with an empty heart and a hollow soul...

full on idle
04-22-2008, 09:30 AM
It's going to be okay Bill.

corbo
04-22-2008, 09:30 AM
sigur ros in mexico?
dont they have some type of anti-emo movement going on down there?
they'll kill em!

wmgaretjax
04-22-2008, 09:33 AM
It's going to be okay Bill.

thanks... I really needed that. Deep breath.

ThomThom
04-22-2008, 09:34 AM
I was trying to be nice... It's just this has already been posted and discussed in detail... And when I see "Sigur Ros" posts I get excited for new info or dates or whatever... So this thread left me with an empty heart and a hollow soul...

I'm actually touched Jared. Now who would seriously want to see a band as beautiful as Sigur Ros at a donkey ranch in Tijuana?

circles
04-22-2008, 09:34 AM
sorry..

wmgaretjax
04-22-2008, 09:52 AM
I'm actually touched Jared. Now who would seriously want to see a band as beautiful as Sigur Ros at a donkey ranch in Tijuana?

Exactly. They need to come back to the opera house up here.... Or the Gorge...

ThomThom
04-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Exactly. They need to come back to the opera house up here.... Or the Gorge...

I'm praying for the Walt Disney Concert Hall out here.

luckyface
04-22-2008, 09:59 AM

Good call.

wmgaretjax
04-22-2008, 09:59 AM

I would consider coming down for that if the Philharmonic was a part of it.

suprefan
04-22-2008, 11:28 AM
sorry..

Neg rep

Barbara, the ninja
04-22-2008, 11:31 AM
Fuck, why TJ? I'm not in the mood to get my kidneys stolen and sold to slavery; well, not today.

Road trip, anyone?!

betao
04-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Fuck, why TJ? I'm not in the mood to get my kidneys stolen and sold to slavery; well, not today.

Road trip, anyone?!

if I lived in so-cal, I might agree to a road trip. I want to see Sigur Ros that badly, to the point where I would take a road trip around Mexico.

Here's to hoping for some more US dates soon.

ThomThom
04-22-2008, 11:37 AM
US dates will come. Don't risk your life in TJ.

suprefan
04-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Im risking my life in TJ

TommyboyUNM
04-22-2008, 12:31 PM
I actually came on the message board today with the specific purpose of asking about Sigur Ros. I've heard a lot of hype about them and I may check them out at Bonnaroo. Try as I may, though, I cannot get into them. They are very talented, but I don't find myself wanting to keep listening. Can you guys explain to me why you like them? I'm not trying to be a douche, that's an honest question.

Like I said, they don't suck by any means. I just want to know what about them might creep up on me and make me have that "Holy shit, they are actually GREAT" moment.

wmgaretjax
04-22-2008, 12:35 PM
I actually came on the message board today with the specific purpose of asking about Sigur Ros. I've heard a lot of hype about them and I may check them out at Bonnaroo. Try as I may, though, I cannot get into them. They are very talented, but I don't find myself wanting to keep listening. Can you guys explain to me why you like them? I'm not trying to be a douche, that's an honest question.

Like I said, they don't suck by any means. I just want to know what about them might creep up on me and make me have that "Holy shit, they are actually GREAT" moment.

Seriously, the need the gut that Iron Maiden grabs a hold of in their music. Maybe if they yowled more and had artwork that made me feel like I was sinning whenever I snuck away from my mom to the record store to buy one of their records.

TommyboyUNM
04-22-2008, 12:45 PM
Seriously, the need the gut that Iron Maiden grabs a hold of in their music. Maybe if they yowled more and had artwork that made me feel like I was sinning whenever I snuck away from my mom to the record store to buy one of their records.

Haha ok. So I'm going to an Iron Maiden show and I'm now pigeon-holed as just wanting screamy metal? Did you see what show I'm going to on August 27th? Maybe you can label me as only wanting to hear bands that sound like Radiohead. Clearly my music tastes cover the entire spectrum.

Seriously though. What is it that some of you hear that I have yet to hear? Though, I might end up loving them at some point.

betao
04-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Haha ok. So I'm going to an Iron Maiden show and I'm now pigeon-holed as just wanting screamy metal? Did you see what show I'm going to on August 27th? Maybe you can label me as only wanting to hear bands that sound like Radiohead. Clearly my music tastes cover the entire spectrum.

Seriously though. What is it that some of you hear that I have yet to hear? Though, I might end up loving them at some point.

What are you listening to? Whats songs/albums do you own?

TommyboyUNM
04-22-2008, 01:11 PM
What are you listening to? Whats songs/albums do you own?

I have Hvarf/Heim. I bought it because I enjoyed a couple of songs I heard on their Myspace, they're gonna be at Bonnaroo and I've read really good things about Sigur Ros. Any specific songs I need to check out?

wmgaretjax
04-22-2008, 01:17 PM

I'm just cheesin ya.

I think the most accessible album they have is probably "Takk..." I'd give that a couple listens.

luckyface
04-22-2008, 01:17 PM
Untitled 8 from the ( ) album seems to be a favorite of most people.

betao
04-22-2008, 01:18 PM
I have Hvarf/Heim. I bought it because I enjoyed a couple of songs I heard on their Myspace, they're gonna be at Bonnaroo and I've read really good things about Sigur Ros. Any specific songs I need to check out?

Here are the songs that I would suggest:

Svefn-g-Englar
Olsen Olsen
Untitled 3
Untitled 6
Untitled 8 (the ending of this song is quite possibly the most powerful ending of any song i've ever heard)
Glósóli
Hoppípolla

If your out for albums, check out ( ) and/or Ágćtis Byrjun.

also, watch this video:

rWR-jJ3v1pk

the solo between :27 and 2:26 is just shockingly beautiful. And the transition into the song right afterwards just cant be described in words.

TommyboyUNM
04-22-2008, 01:21 PM
I'm just cheesin ya.

I think the most accessible album they have is probably "Takk..." I'd give that a couple listens.

Haha, fair enough. Thanks for the feedback. I'll hunt down everyone's suggestions when I get off of work and get back to my place. I have a feeling that I'd have to be an idiot not to check out their set at Bonnaroo. Especially since it might be late night and have an awesome vibe.

suprefan
04-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Untitled 8 from the ( ) album seems to be a favorite of most people.

Yeah mostly cause itssuch a great closer.

Rocke, sigur ros in TJ, lets go, come on, itll be the pre cursor to that bachelor party called Radiohead you are having before you get married......

TommyboyUNM
04-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Here are the songs that I would suggest:

Svefn-g-Englar
Olsen Olsen
Untitled 3
Untitled 6
Untitled 8 (the ending of this song is quite possibly the most powerful ending of any song i've ever heard)
Glósóli
Hoppípolla

If your out for albums, check out ( ) and/or Ágćtis Byrjun.

also, watch this video:

rWR-jJ3v1pk

the solo between :27 and 2:26 is just shockingly beautiful. And the transition into the song right afterwards just cant be described in words.

Thanks for posting that video. That looks like it could be one of those chilling concert experiences.

luckyface
04-22-2008, 01:42 PM
Yeah mostly cause itssuch a great closer.

Rocke, sigur ros in TJ, lets go, come on, itll be the pre cursor to that bachelor party called Radiohead you are having before you get married......

If there are no US dates, then I seriously will consider it. I have yet to see them outside of their 3-song acoustic sets.

iv3rdawG
04-22-2008, 02:34 PM

It wasn't for me actually. I listened to "Takk..." and only really liked "Hoppípolla" and "Glósóli". When I listened to "( )" though, that's when I really became a fan. So many great songs, "Untitled 3", "Untitled 4" and "Untitled 8" to name a few. Their best well rounded album though, IMO, is Ágćtis Byrjun. Brilliant CD. But yeah, TommyboyUNM, I'd suggest checking out "( )" first and then "Ágćtis Byrjun" while making your way towards "Von" and "Takk...".

Sushov23
04-22-2008, 02:35 PM
I like Sigur Ros but I don't get the BIG deal. Is there someone i'm missing? and no smart ass remarks please, save them for someone else.

odelayer
04-22-2008, 02:36 PM
http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/683/sigurros22gu6.jpg

beautiful men :)

betao
04-22-2008, 03:18 PM
Thanks for posting that video. That looks like it could be one of those chilling concert experiences.

Yeha no problem. I think that would be one of the most surreal, captivating experiences ever. I have yet to see them, but will definitely see them before I die.

suprefan
04-22-2008, 03:24 PM
I like Sigur Ros but I don't get the BIG deal. Is there someone i'm missing? and no smart ass remarks please, save them for someone else.

See them live, and you will see whats up.

Gribbz
02-08-2012, 10:01 AM
More shows to come!

Sigur Rós are at work on what they've described as a "floaty" new album, scheduled for release in the spring. They've now announced their first live gig as a group since 2008, and write on their site, "we'll be announcing more tour dates soon."

They'll play Bestival on the Isle of Wight in the UK, which takes place from September 6 to 9. Also on the bill are the xx, Azealia Banks, Spiritualized, Justice, Hot Chip, De La Soul, Major Lazer, Warpaint, Orbital, Little Dragon, Charli XCX, Frankie Rose, Four Tet, Caribou, and more.

http://pitchfork.com/news/45368-sigur-ros-announce-live-return/

suprefan
02-08-2012, 11:05 AM
so you're not going to sell your coachella ticket to fly to england?

Gribbz
02-08-2012, 11:09 AM
Nah, Sigur Ros usually comes to Arizona when they tour. If they don't come here I'll catch them at Red Rocks or somewhere in California.

zircona1
02-08-2012, 11:23 AM
The lady I went with to see Portishead at the Greek Theater last year said that she saw Sigur Ros at the same place several years ago and said it was crowded as hell.

Cameron Frye
02-08-2012, 11:27 AM
See them live, and you will see whats up.

THIS

saw that at "some concert hall" in London back in 2003. one of the best live acts i've seen to date

i also suggest going a little stoned to their shows

TallGuyCM
03-24-2012, 04:49 PM
New album Valtari out May 28th! :D

http://creekmouth.tumblr.com/post/19846092898/new-sigur-ros-album-valtari-out-may-28th

Aphxtwinin
03-24-2012, 05:02 PM

http://creekmouth.tumblr.com/post/19846092898/new-sigur-ros-album-valtari-out-may-28th
YAY! I HOPE they come to Red Rocks, it would be incredible...they did on their last stop here so I feel like its very possible

nathanfairchild
03-24-2012, 07:53 PM
YAY! I HOPE they come to Red Rocks, it would be incredible...they did on their last stop here so I feel like its very possible

i'd have to make the drive up for that.

suprefan
03-24-2012, 08:13 PM
Cue all the Sigur Ros show virgins getting boners now....

Aphxtwinin
03-24-2012, 08:52 PM
i'd have to make the drive up for that.
i will try to house as many reputable boardies as I can, I should have my guest room back from my shitty roommate by then

hell yea, i have a raging Sigur Ros boner...i actually just got the Inni bluray and just popped it in. i want to see these guys soooo bad

TallGuyCM
03-25-2012, 02:30 AM

I make no apologies. :D

nosurprises12
03-25-2012, 08:46 AM

http://thezimaneffect.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/aww_yeah_meme_meme_faces_s250x196_156976_580_re_re surrection-s250x196-170614.png?w=620

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-25-2012, 03:27 PM
http://thezimaneffect.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/aww_yeah_meme_meme_faces_s250x196_156976_580_re_re surrection-s250x196-170614.png?w=620

this *10000000000000000000000

Miroir Noir
03-26-2012, 08:16 AM
New track: "Ekki Múkk" (http://stereogum.com/985711/sigur-ros-ekki-mukk/mp3s/)

Gribbz
03-26-2012, 09:43 AM
I love it. Can definitely hear the minimalistic/floaty elements that Jonsi was talking about.

Spooks
03-26-2012, 11:05 AM
I love it. Can definitely hear the minimalistic/floaty elements that Jonsi was talking about.

Sigur Ros is one of those bands where I wait to actually have LP in my hand so that I can listen to the whole thing. Their music is meant to be listened as a whole package in my opinion. I think I can wait till May! I'm surprised this is coming out so early though. Since they're creating their own stage for this upcoming tour, I'm excited to hear what songs they'll bring back from their old catalogue:)

ps Touring wise...Pretty much lock for Lolla and Outside Lands before heading over to Japan for Summer Sonic. I'm thinking one/two dates in NY before Lolla and maybe two dates out in the West Coast in August. Then they'll probably come back again for full US tour later in the year. Because I remember in 08 before heading down to Bonnaroo, they played couple shows...yes kids, they use sandbag for their presales so let the bitching begin like Radiohead tickets;)

6/5/08 Guadalajara, MEX @ Teatro Degollado
6/7/08 Tepoztlan, MEX @ Festival La Colmena
6/11/08 Omaha, NE @ Orpheum Theater
6/12/08 Kansas City, MO @ Uptown Theater
6/14/08 Manchester, TN @ Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival
6/16/08 New York, NY @ Grand Ballroom
6/17/08 New York, NY @ The MoMA

Two days later (6/19), they announced these dates...which I remember was just 4 of them w/ out Amiina

SEPTEMBER 2008
Wed 17th - New York, The United Palace
Thur 18th - New York, The United Palace
Fri 19th - Boston, Bank Of America Pavilion
Sat 20th - Montreal, Quai Jacques Cartier
Mon 22nd - Toronto, Massey Hall
Tues 23rd - Detroit, The Fillmore
Wed 24th - Chicago, The Chicago Theatre
Thu 25th - Minneapolis, Orpheum Theatre
Sat 27th - Denver, Morrison Red Rocks Amphitheatre
Sun 28th - Salt Lake City, Saltair
Tues 30th - Tempe, The Marquee

OCTOBER 2008
Wed 1st San Diego, Copley Symphony Hall
Thu 2nd Los Angeles, The Greek Theatre
Fri 3rd - Berkeley, The Greek Theatre
Sun 5th - Seattle, Benaroya Hall
Mon 6th - Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Theatre
Tue 7th - Vancouver, The Chan Centre

bmack86
03-26-2012, 11:35 AM
But how will they ever top that Hollywood Bowl show in 2005?

ods..
03-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Ooooo i hope they show at OSL. That would be incredible

Spooks
03-26-2012, 03:26 PM
But how will they ever top that Hollywood Bowl show in 2005?

I can't even imagine seeing Sigur Ros there! How were the acoustics at Bowl though? Radiohead at Bowl was amazing but I feel like seeing Sigur Ros at a gigantic/outdoor venue would take away some of their sound. Was it just them and Amina? Because when they came for Takk tour here, they played two nights at Beacon and one night at Tower Theater (Philly). Both shows were amazing and couple months later, they came back to play theatre @ msg while Billy Joel was playing in the stadium upstairs haha.

bmack86
03-26-2012, 03:40 PM
Yeah, they played with Amiina, and Amiina opened. That show was (with the possible exception of Radiohead night 2 in 2008) the best sounding show I've ever seen at the Bowl. It was definitely the loudest. I was about halfway back, and it's the only show I've seen there where I didn't have people around me talking. The band just FILLED the whole ravine with their sound, and the limited light show perfectly fit with the venue. The version of Popplagio that they closed the whole show with remains one of the most awe inspiring and truly incredible concert moments I've witnessed. When they dropped the sheet in front of the band and Jonsi's shadow filled the whole of it as he's screaming and the lights are strobing, it felt like watching a literal giant perform.

Easily top 5 concerts I've ever seen.

trendski
03-26-2012, 04:03 PM
I recall watching Sigur Rós back in 2001 at the old Knitting Factory (next to Beck upstairs) when they won the first ShortList Music Award... was anyone else there? Definitely an unforgettable performance, and they deserved winning it!

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1451109/sigur-ros-win-shortlist-prize.jhtml

TallGuyCM
03-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Alert the media: trendski just posted something without trying to pawn off one of his shitty youtube videos on us.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2nbrajr.gif

fikus222
03-28-2012, 11:25 AM
http://vimeo.com/39194761#embed

involvelemons
03-28-2012, 12:27 PM
THIS

saw that at "some concert hall" in London back in 2003. one of the best live acts i've seen to date

I liked them a lot--but expected to be a tiny bit bored--when I watched them at Coach 2006. What I didn't anticipate was all that bass. Absolutely mind blowing. Also: Jonsi gets really into it. It's great.

I wasn't stoned, but I was in the process of getting my heart broken...at Coachella. Totally made a difference. I wouldn't recommend intense heartbreak (way too much drama at a festival) but maybe you could go through photos of your long lost love before the show or something.

Spooks
03-28-2012, 02:57 PM
Yeah, they played with Amiina, and Amiina opened. That show was (with the possible exception of Radiohead night 2 in 2008) the best sounding show I've ever seen at the Bowl. It was definitely the loudest. I was about halfway back, and it's the only show I've seen there where I didn't have people around me talking. The band just FILLED the whole ravine with their sound, and the limited light show perfectly fit with the venue. The version of Popplagio that they closed the whole show with remains one of the most awe inspiring and truly incredible concert moments I've witnessed. When they dropped the sheet in front of the band and Jonsi's shadow filled the whole of it as he's screaming and the lights are strobing, it felt like watching a literal giant perform.

Easily top 5 concerts I've ever seen.

Damn. Sounds fantastic! I saw Radiohead @ Bowl in 2008 as well and the first night, these yuppies were talking throughout the show and they almost ruined the show for me (I was sitting in garden boxes. They had like four chairs and a table if I remember correctly). Was the venue sold out though? Once they announce their tour, I really hope they play Greek Theatre (Berkeley. Always hear good things about this venue) and Hollywood Bowl. I would definitely fly out for those two shows!

It does sound pretty fuckin fantastic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m_nzgvh4qE

ps Just found out DJ Shadow plays from 1050-1230am tonight. I hope he plays at least an hour @ Coachella!

Spooks
04-16-2012, 05:33 AM
I love how Sigur Ros plays different venues every time they come here:) Might have to see them @ Hollywood Forever since they're probably going to add another date on 8/13...or better yet, how about @ Fernwood Campground or Henry Miller Library;)

*confirmed for Outside Lands (http://statigr.am/p/168269338883854341_29984291)*

SIGUR ROS - 2012 TOUR DATES
july 30 2012 the mann (skyline stage) philadelphia, united states
july 31 2012 prospect park, brooklyn new york city, united states
august 1 2012 echo beach, toronto canada
august 3 2012 osheaga festival, montreal canada
august 3-5 2012 lollapalooza, chicago, il united states
august 8 2012 paramount, seattle, wa united states
august 9 2012 edgefield, portland, or united states
august 12 2012 hollywood forever cemetery, los angeles, ca, united states
august 18/19 2012 summer sonic festival japan

Spooks
04-16-2012, 07:23 AM
NY presale sold out already...

http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/tour/presale/#

casey
04-16-2012, 07:50 AM
LA presale sold out too.

unknown
04-16-2012, 07:56 AM
and Seattle. I secured presale tickets for Portland though.

303dubbin
04-16-2012, 08:21 AM
denver date would be nice! red rocks....

TallGuyCM
04-16-2012, 09:01 AM
DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Derekx
04-16-2012, 09:28 AM
Well now I'm pissed I didn't wake up earlier.

alyssaf12
04-16-2012, 10:34 AM
denver date would be nice! red rocks....

That would be amazing. I would actually consider driving down from LA to see that.

Also, I'm really bummed LA pre sale sold out. I'll be at Coachella when general tickets go on sale :nono

RageAgainstTheAoki
04-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Anyone know what the capacity is for Hollywood Forever?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-16-2012, 10:40 AM
I think we determined it was around 2000 people.

Spooks
04-16-2012, 10:42 AM
That would be amazing. I would actually consider driving down from LA to see that.

Also, I'm really bummed LA pre sale sold out. I'll be at Coachella when general tickets go on sale :nono

Don't they have computer stations set up on the camping grounds? Just of our curiosity, do they still have $10 water bottle where you can fill it up anywhere again?

I think we determined it was around 2000 people.

while Prospect Park holds 7000 people and Skyline stage @ Mann Center = 4000 people. I don't know about the other venues.

ThomThom
04-16-2012, 10:51 AM
I hate being in fucking meetings when pre-sales happen... Motherfuckers.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-17-2012, 10:50 AM
Looks like I'll probably skip Hollywood Forever and just see them at outside lands. What a tempting a line up.

amyzzz
04-17-2012, 10:54 AM
How is that Hollywood Forever Cemetery? Any way to hear the set from outside the venue? Is it outside? Just curious. I doubt they will add a date in AZ in the summer.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-17-2012, 11:00 AM
How is that Hollywood Forever Cemetery? Any way to hear the set from outside the venue? Is it outside? Just curious. I doubt they will add a date in AZ in the summer.

it's awesome! The "venue" is outside on a big lawn. You show up early and lay on blankets and bring your own picnics/booze and watch beautiful music under the stars. Fantastic experience!

The lawn is located pretty deep into the cemetary, so i don't know how well you'd hear it from outside of the grounds.

cutterbutter
04-17-2012, 11:13 AM
There's no way it'd be anywhere near enjoyable listening outside the gates. The lawn's crowd isn't that large so neither is the PA. Its phenominal venue and the way the shows are run are great. I've done the blanket thing and waited to be very close and its always a good time.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-17-2012, 11:16 AM
I've mentioned it before, but security is very lax and for some reason I was able to stand directly behind the rafters literally 2 feet away from the band when Explosions In The Sky played there and it was such a surreal experience

amyzzz
04-17-2012, 11:19 AM
it's awesome! The "venue" is outside on a big lawn. You show up early and lay on blankets and bring your own picnics/booze and watch beautiful music under the stars. Fantastic experience!

The lawn is located pretty deep into the cemetary, so i don't know how well you'd hear it from outside of the grounds.
Oh, so it's too far in to hear then. Oh well, it was a thought.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-17-2012, 11:20 AM
is there a reason you're considering that and not trying to buy tickets?

cutterbutter
04-17-2012, 11:24 AM
"very lax" is an understatement for the security. They basically dont care. You should have seen some of the shit people had in there and were doing at flaming lips.

amyzzz, if there was a show to travel to LA for it'd certainly be for a band of sigur ros' caliber playing at the cemetery, assuming there is no AZ show.

HotHamWater
04-17-2012, 12:13 PM
Oh, so it's too far in to hear then. Oh well, it was a thought.

Why would you travel from Phoenix to LA just to listen to a show from the outside? Might as well take the next leap and get a ticket if you're already willing to go out there.

I'm going to try for the LA show on Friday. I doubt I'll have trouble getting a ticket, but Portland is the backup plan just in case.

amyzzz
04-17-2012, 12:14 PM
I was thinking it was sold out. Now I am re-thinking and it was just the presale that sold out, right? Heh. I'm scatter-brained today.

edit: re-RE-thinking, I may just try for Outside Lands Festival because there are a lot of bands I'd like to see there, INCLUDING Sigur Ros.

TallGuyCM
04-17-2012, 12:19 PM
I doubt I'll have trouble getting a ticket

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this is going to be a very hard ticket to get. Their first LA show in 4 years + on a Sunday so people can travel + the venue = instant sellout and site crash.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-17-2012, 12:34 PM
edit: re-RE-thinking, I may just try for Outside Lands Festival because there are a lot of bands I'd like to see there, INCLUDING Sigur Ros.

My thoughts exactly!

HotHamWater
04-17-2012, 12:48 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this is going to be a very hard ticket to get. Their first LA show in 4 years + on a Sunday so people can travel + the venue = instant sellout and site crash.

That's fine. I'll just have to suck it up and go to Portland, if that's the case. Life is tough that way.

I actually want to go to the Portland show, the more I think about it. I've never been there, so maybe I could make a weekend out of it.

unknown
04-19-2012, 08:45 AM
I'm so nervous about the Seattle on-sale at 10.

fikus222
04-19-2012, 09:01 AM
It shouldn't be too bad. During 2008's onsale, I got front row stage left at the Benaroya Hall.

unknown
04-19-2012, 09:11 AM
For some reason it was a pre-sale even though it has been advertised on STG's site as the general on-sale. Anyway, yay for Casey finding the password. I managed to get 2, my bf grabbed 2, but Casey got a quantity not available message. Hooray for team work since 2 of the tix we got are for her.

fikus222
04-19-2012, 09:27 AM
Nice! FYI, signing up for the STG mailing list will get you the pre-sale passwords emailed to you in their newsletters.

Pea
04-19-2012, 03:14 PM
Scored tickets for both the Seattle and Portland shows. Holy FUCK. My life will finally be complete, and then it will be completer the next night! That STG presale was fucking nerve-wracking.

xuclarockerx
04-20-2012, 07:48 AM
So I assume this is the correct link to refresh for the Hollywood onsale at noon? I want to be 110% sure about this shit.

http://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/event/112859?utm_medium=bks

HotHamWater
04-20-2012, 08:13 AM
Looks like I'm going to the Portland show. Ticket secured.

unknown
04-20-2012, 09:20 AM
Did anyone have luck with the Seattle sale today? The site is glitchy as fuck. I was trying to grab a ticket for a friend and a bit before 10 started to refresh, never got a screen where I could buy tickets so I checked on Sigur Ros' site and it said SOLD OUT. Then I kept refreshing, made it to the screen to choose tickets and quantity several times but always got kicked back to the main screen. STG's phone service didn't have tickets at 10 either. Did it sell out yesterday? I didn't pay attention once I secured tickets.

edit: oooookay apparently they went on sale at 9. Someone at STG is a fucking moron - first posting that tickets would go on sale at 10am 4/19 and that turned out to be a presale, then saying 10am 4/20 but really it was 9am. Sigur Ros fb posts said the same info so maybe their publicist is the moron. Sorry, Rains! I tried and will keep an eye out locally for anything - right now CL are $250 a pair lol

Pea
04-20-2012, 10:26 AM
I find it so strange that a Sigur Ros show will ALWAYS sell out in minutes in Seattle, yet tickets are still available in Portland. I suppose Edgefield probably holds more people, though. Either way...I'll be at both! Jonsi's solo show a couple of years ago was one of the best shows I've seen in my entire life, so I can't even begin to imagine how incredible Sigur Ros will be.

tmac
04-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Jonsi's solo show a couple of years ago was one of the best shows I've seen in my entire life, so I can't even begin to imagine how incredible Sigur Ros will be.
most speechless i have ever left a show. grow till tall was so powerful

Pea
04-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Easily the most moving live song of my life. I still get chills thinking about it.

schoolofruckus
04-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Did anyone get tickets for Hollywood Forever?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-20-2012, 12:20 PM
much more discussion about it up in the SoCal subforum. Some did, but all are dealing with the totally fucked website

romanticizer
04-20-2012, 03:36 PM
I have tickets to both Paramount and Edgefield shows if anyone wants them.

boarderwoozel3
04-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Did anyone have luck with the Seattle sale today? The site is glitchy as fuck. I was trying to grab a ticket for a friend and a bit before 10 started to refresh, never got a screen where I could buy tickets so I checked on Sigur Ros' site and it said SOLD OUT. Then I kept refreshing, made it to the screen to choose tickets and quantity several times but always got kicked back to the main screen. STG's phone service didn't have tickets at 10 either. Did it sell out yesterday? I didn't pay attention once I secured tickets.

edit: oooookay apparently they went on sale at 9. Someone at STG is a fucking moron - first posting that tickets would go on sale at 10am 4/19 and that turned out to be a presale, then saying 10am 4/20 but really it was 9am. Sigur Ros fb posts said the same info so maybe their publicist is the moron. Sorry, Rains! I tried and will keep an eye out locally for anything - right now CL are $250 a pair lol

I tried for tickets at 9am and came up empty. Instant sellout. Bleh.

Down Rodeo
04-20-2012, 05:54 PM
I tried for tickets at 9am and came up empty. Instant sellout. Bleh.

Same thing happened to me, although I thought it was at 10. I got to the ticket quantity page twice, but got bumped back to the main page both times. Fucking garbage.

dancefreak
04-20-2012, 08:11 PM
Did anyone get tickets for Hollywood Forever?

I scored a foursome. I had the same crashing issues that everyone else reported. Just lucked out that it went through.

romanticizer
04-20-2012, 08:14 PM
I still have 1 extra ticket for Seattle.

TallGuyCM
04-20-2012, 09:02 PM
It said on the tour page on Sigur Ros' website last night that Seattle and Portland were 9am onsales. Not much notification, though.

Seattle, Portland, and LA here I come! :D

cutterbutter
04-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Beast mode Chris!

Somewhat Damaged
04-20-2012, 10:19 PM
It said on the tour page on Sigur Ros' website last night that Seattle and Portland were 9am onsales. Not much notification, though.

Seattle, Portland, and LA here I come! :D

You're sounding an awful lot like supre.......

boarderwoozel3
04-21-2012, 03:17 AM
With all the Socal/AZ/whereverthefuck people talking about coming to the NW for this it starts to make sense.

On behalf of the locals: Fuck you guys :)

invisiblerobots
04-21-2012, 07:27 AM
Has anyone seen a show at Edgefield? I've been there twice, but not to see a show so I'm wondering what the amphitheater is like. The place is amazing and I'm thrilled to have an excuse to return.

Gribbz
04-21-2012, 08:12 AM
See you guys in the graveyard. :)

romanticizer
04-21-2012, 09:35 AM
My friends are going to have a heart attack when they realize I bought them tickets to these freaking shows. I hope everyone has an amazing time!!!

unknown
04-22-2012, 06:09 AM
I still have 1 extra ticket for Seattle.
Is this still available?

shakermaker113
04-22-2012, 07:58 AM
looking forward to the cemetary show!

Gribbz
04-22-2012, 09:03 AM
looking forward to the cemetary show!

Nice!

IceyHotshot
04-22-2012, 09:26 AM
For anyone who's heard the Valtari rip - is the album good? I don't want to listen to the poor quality rip, but I'm thinking of preordering the vinyl once that option is available.

luckyface
04-22-2012, 09:56 AM
Let's have a cemetery meet-up!

Pea
04-22-2012, 10:07 AM
For anyone who's heard the Valtari rip - is the album good? I don't want to listen to the poor quality rip, but I'm thinking of preordering the vinyl once that option is available.

It's bleak as fuck, and easily requires more devotion and patience than any other Sigur Ros album to date. It has some really beautiful moments, obviously, but I'm still trying to absorb it and I've already listened to it 10+ times. Just be ready for Sigur Ros in their most minimal state.

romanticizer
04-22-2012, 10:32 AM
Is this still available?

Yeah. It is. I will be in touch.

IceyHotshot
04-22-2012, 10:54 AM
It's bleak as fuck, and easily requires more devotion and patience than any other Sigur Ros album to date. It has some really beautiful moments, obviously, but I'm still trying to absorb it and I've already listened to it 10+ times. Just be ready for Sigur Ros in their most minimal state.

After reading this curiosity got the best of me and I had to listen. Glad I did. This album is right up my alley! I love modern classical and ambient and this definitely has some similar flavors to that kind of stuff. I am loving the hell out of this on first impression.

unknown
04-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Yeah. It is. I will be in touch.
I tried to PM you back but received an error. Is it floor or balcony? I informed my friend in LA and will let you know ASAP what his decision is.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Please keep me in mind if anyone ends up with any extra Cemetery tickets!

cutterbutter
04-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Is there still hope for a 2nd night being announced or would that happened already? If there is a 2nd night you can gladly have current tickets and I'll get them for the new date. That'd be loads easier for me. Yeah, thats helpful I know.

romanticizer
04-22-2012, 09:08 PM
I tried to PM you back but received an error. Is it floor or balcony? I informed my friend in LA and will let you know ASAP what his decision is.

I sent you a PM with my info email and phone number in it. I have several people that want to buy closer than LA so that will take precedence. It is floor.

unknown
04-23-2012, 07:47 AM
Not seeing a PM. Well I'm in the Seattle area and would give you the money - so just pretend the buyer is me. If you haven't sold it, I'll go ahead and take it.

xuclarockerx
04-23-2012, 08:56 AM
I wasn't able to get Cemetery tix either. I've never seen them AND it's my birthday weekend so if anyone is selling a pair for face value please consider me!

suprefan
04-23-2012, 01:15 PM
I wasn't able to get Cemetery tix either. I've never seen them AND it's my birthday weekend so if anyone is selling a pair for face value please consider me!

Give me your car and I'll think about selling you a ticket.

Trying to grab tickets at the computer center at the campgrounds was some tough shit. Easily everyone there was trying for tickets. We ended up the only ones who got any, figures right?

cutterbutter
04-25-2012, 12:04 AM
Trying to grab tickets at the computer center at the campgrounds was some tough shit. Easily everyone there was trying for tickets. We ended up the only ones who got any, figures right?

I'm imagining the scene. Bunch of music nerds and show-goers freaking out melting away in a Coachella computer lab sweat box instead of partying. At least you got something to show for your efforts!

Spooks
04-25-2012, 08:26 AM
Woohoo I get to see them 3 times this year;)

New date: 7/29 Skyline Stage (Mann Center) Philadelphia, PA

"thats all the gigs to be announced for the US/CA tour in july/august as far as i know"
sigur ros moderator

xuclarockerx
04-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Give me your car and I'll think about selling you a ticket.

^ only guy who would post the same response to the same person on two different forums

TallGuyCM
04-25-2012, 11:17 PM
Just watched this for the first time. My goodness.

Bz8iEJeh26E&ob=av3n

MuseRadio
04-26-2012, 06:45 AM
Just watched this for the first time. My goodness.

Bz8iEJeh26E&ob=av3n

haha awesome! told ya that music video was freaking great.

TallGuyCM
04-26-2012, 09:29 AM
haha awesome! told ya that music video was freaking great.

Indeed. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Spooks
04-27-2012, 05:44 AM
While I still haven't listened to this new album since it's not even out yet (although some of you kids probably did ILLEGALLY;), this is some exciting news.....I'm thinking this is that album they decided to scrap and start all over again! one soft lp vs one loud lp?! This would explain why that other Icelandic band heard them rocking out big style when they were recording in the studio next to Sigur Ros hmmm...

Yet a New Album from Iceland’s Sigur Rós

Iceland’s most famous contemporary band Sigur Rós is planning the release of another new album, which will follow Valtari, scheduled to hit markets on May 28.

According to Fréttablađiđ’s sources, the unexpected album is already completed and will be issued next year. It is allegedly very different from the calm and introversive Valtari.

The members of Sigur Rós are currently in the UK where they are presenting Valtari to local media.

The band will play at a number of music festivals around the world this summer, in addition to nine solo concerts, all but one of which are sold out.

http://icelandreview.com/icelandreview/daily_news/Yet_a_New_Album_from_Iceland’s_Sigur_Rós_0_389471. news.aspx

Pea
04-27-2012, 06:33 AM
I really like the sound of that. Sort of like the Deliverance/Damnation thing Opeth did. Valtari has some really beautiful songs on it, but overall has left me feeling like there's something missing. A companion album would totally make sense if that's truly the case.

Spooks
04-28-2012, 08:32 AM
Why they increase the price for 2nd Philly show?! First time I've seen Philly show being more expensive than NY or LA show....

Oh well, it should be a magical night at the top of Mann campus in Fairmount Park overlooking skyline views of Philly:)

Happy Saturday!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCjjgDSJqUI

Spooks
04-30-2012, 05:42 AM
29 more days...can't wait to hear what this album sounds like!

http://www.pitchfork.com/news/46335-new-sigur-ros-varu/

Spooks
05-10-2012, 06:11 AM
Great interview with Jonsi...

DiS: It's been four years since the last Sigur Ros album. Was there ever a point where the so-called "indefinite hiatus" could have become permanent?

Jonsi: I don't know about that! Somebody said we were on an indefinite hiatus - I think it may have been our manager - and I didn't even know what it meant. We'd been touring for so many years and we'd gotten tired so we took a break and the guys had babies. I did the Riceboy Sleeps album with my boyfriend Alex Somers and also a solo record (Go) which I toured a little bit. Now we're back together and it's a really nice vibe. Personally, it's great to be working with the guys in the band again after so long. It actually feels like coming home again. I enjoyed making the solo album but at the same time it feels great working with other people, sharing responsibilities and ideas rather than having to do everything myself.

DiS: I believe you had initially started writing the follow-up to Med Sud I Eyram Vid Spilum Endalaust as far back as 2009, but that it was scrapped several times? Have any of the songs from those sessions made it onto Valtari, and if not, will they be released in the future?

Jonsi: Valtari is basically that. A couple of the songs are even older than that. We recorded some of the choir segments in London maybe five or six years ago. At the time there was even talk of us maybe putting an album consisting entirely of choir music. We started recording those two songs ('Dauoalogn' and 'Varoeldur') and then we decided to slow everything down. A year later we started something else and then we began recycling a lot of our old music and added strings to it, which was cool but not inspiring so we shelved that also. The process has been quite scatterbrained and all over the place, quite confusing even. A few months ago we were listening back to all this material with our manager and he told us to release it and I guess looking back, we did put a lot of time and energy into making those songs so it would be a shame for it to go unheard. The last song on the album 'Fjogur Piano' was another recycled loop from some of our old material. We had this really deep concept that was almost like waiting in a parking lot outside the studio in a car. Kjartan (Sveinsson) went down into the swimming pool and recorded his piano part and turned into a loop so that when we put all the parts together you couldn't hear what the rest of us played but it all fitted so that's where the "four pianos" comes from.

DiS: The album's title, Valtari, translates as "Roller" in English. Is there any significance or concept in relation to the rest of the record as far as the title goes?

Jonsi: No, I couldn't really say there is. As far as the name Valtari or "Roller" goes, it was just a working title for the record for a long time. We took it from the name of the next-to-last song on the album which in itself was named after a construction outside the studio! I guess it ended up becoming something more important than it was originally supposed to be. I think it's quite a fitting title for the album actually.

DiS: Valtari seems to consist of a lot more atmospheric soundscapes than its most recent predecessor. Was it a deliberate attempt on the band's part to evoke the ambiance of () or Agaetis Byrjun?

Jonsi: Yes, I think so. With Med Sud I Eyram Vid Spilum Endalaust we'd kind of made an upbeat, festive pop record and it got to the point where we'd had enough of that so it seemed the right time to do something else. :winkiss

DiS: The third track on the record 'Varuo' in particular reminds me of the final track from 2002's (), arguably your most underrated record to date. In hindsight, did you feel () was overlooked by certain sections of the media and is Valtari your way of rewriting the record books as it were?

Jonsi: No. I can honestly say I don't really listen to my own music any more. Once I've created something I'd rather just move onto the next thing than go backwards. I never revisit my old records.

DiS: Do you pay much attention to what people in the press are saying about you or the band?

Jonsi: I made a decision many years ago when I was eighteen years old and we'd just started the band not to pay too much attention to what critics are saying or writing about us, and I haven't really changed from that. I know there are a lot of weird people writing things on the internet but that's something we've learned to live with. I guess we haven't done too badly as far as the critics are concerned to still be here making music and playing live shows.

DiS: Your partner Alex (Somers) has co-produced Valtari. What did he manage to bring to the recording sessions, and it change the dynamic in the studio between you and the band bearing in mind you're both in a personal relationship?

Jonsi: No, it was cool. He's so nice to work with and a great guy in general. He mainly helped us with the recording process. He recorded us in the swimming pool and also our rehearsal space and then he mixed it in our attic in the house me and him share. He brought a lot of new arrangements to the songs and reconstructed some of the pieces that were all over the place. He helped us make sense of it all and also encouraged us to record more instruments, and for me to sing and write more lyrics. I guess you could say he played a big part in the making of the record.

DiS: What about the electronic influence that seems to be prevalent throughout the album? Was Alex a major factor here as well?

Jonsi: It does have a lot more electronic pieces than our other albums, although I think this has more to do with us enjoying playing around and experimenting with new gadgets than anything else. Whenever we discover a new instrument or tool it's really exciting for us.

DiS: You put out two vinyl releases last weekend for Record Store Day. Do you see Record Store Day as being an important fixture on the calendar bearing in mind internet downloads have surpassed physical sales in the market?

Jonsi: I think it's cool, quite reminiscent even for me. When I was younger I'd be really excited to go to my local record store and see which band had released an album that week. I see it as being quite nostalgic in that sense. These days I'm pretty bad when it comes to discovering new music. I rarely go out and buy albums, but I like the concept of Record Store Day if it encourages kids from the next generation to seek out new music in the same way I did when I was their age. Nowadays it is so instant to consume music. People don't tend to listen to albums in full any more. They just seem to skip tracks and go to their three favourite songs then onto the next album and so on.

DiS: Are there any new artists at the moment who've caught your attention?

Jonsi: I'm really bad when it comes to new popular music but there's one artist I've been listening to a lot recently. Her name is Julia Holter. Her album is really cool. Also there's an Icelandic artist called Sin Fang. Alex (Somers) is doing an album with him at the moment. I think they're hoping to put it out next year. What I've heard so far is really good.

DiS: You're playing a number of festivals this summer including Bestival on the Isle Of Wight and Electric Picnic in Ireland. What made you choose those particular festivals and will their be an extensive world tour later on in the year?

Jonsi: We're doing a short North American tour and a few European dates as well as the festivals, then we're off to Australia. I think it only works out at about 30 shows this year, but we're definitely hoping to play some more shows in the new year.

DiS: Will you be taking the orchestra on tour with you?

Jonsi: I'm not sure yet, but I think we'll want to take some strings with us, especially when we're playing the new album. It will be difficult to translate those songs live without them.

DiS: How do you choose which shows or tours to do without any orchestration? On Inni that seemed to be a key characteristic in terms of affecting which songs you were able to play.

Jonsi: On our last major tour, we kind of decided straight away what we could play because we had Amiina doing the strings and a brass section with us, so that made it really comfortable. I think that's why we played a few shows just as a four-piece, because we wanted to prove to ourselves that we still had it!

DiS: At the same time, some of your songs only feature orchestral instruments. How do you go about writing those in the studio and then performing them?

Jonsi: When we were working with Amiina, they just came over for a weekend and just jammed over the top of the songs. We then decide what to leave in or take out and the songs generally develop from there. We tend to do everything from that point onwards, constructing then reconstructing each piece until it works for us.

DiS: With such an extensive back catalogue of work to choose from, how do you put together your setlists? Are there any songs or albums which you probably won't revisit again?

Jonsi: It's quite weird because we haven't played together as a live band for nearly four years now, so we're just starting to look at which songs we want to play live. We've a lot of songs to go through so it may get a bit confusing! Of course it's fun for us too, because there are some songs that we haven't played for a long time that may reappear on this tour, whereas some we won't touch. I don't know. What songs would you like to hear?

DiS: I'd like to hear 'Myrkur' from Von.

Jonsi: Really?

DiS: It was the first song I ever heard by Sigur Ros. I still play it when I DJ every now and then.

Jonsi: Really? Wow. It's so long since we played that song I've forgotten how it goes! I haven't heard that record in years.

DiS: I have to ask you about a blog that appeared on your website a while back, Homage Or Fromage, which kind of named and shamed numerous television commercials where unauthorised copying of your music had taken place. It seemed to center largely around variations of 'Hoppipolla' which had been used to advertise all sorts of products. Have you spotted any more recently and has there ever been a time where you've been forced to pursue legal action against one of the perpetrators?

Jonsi: I don't think so. I remember there was some golf club or company that was using one of our songs, or something that sounded very similar recently. There's a lot of that stuff going on, more so in the past. It seems to be used a lot in advertising campaigns and sports programmes whereby the producer has obviously tried to make it sound something like one of our songs but changed one part.

DiS: Going back to your solo projects such as Riceboy Sleeps, Go and also the We Bought A Zoo soundtrack for Cameron Crowe, do you see yourself embarking on more of these in the future? Particularly soundtracks or scores for example?

Jonsi: Yeah, I'd love to do a film score. It was fun to do something different like We Bought A Zoo. It's a lot more challenging than just doing your own songs for yourself or the band because you have so much more to think about. You have to study the dialogue of the film carefully and also the acts and the scenes so that each piece of music fits in with what you can see. It felt weird at first but now I think it was a good learning experience. I guess you could say it's a little bit more choreographed in some ways.

DiS: Aside from the album release and the live shows during the summer, what are your plans for the rest of the year and how long will we have to wait for the next Sigur Ros record?

Jonsi: We're going to start rehearsing for the summer tour very shortly, and then most of this year will be concentrated on the live shows. As for the next record, I think it probably won't be that far away... It feels really good to be in this band right now. Everyone's really excited again.

DiS: Are there any new songs or ideas floating around?

Jonsi: Maybe?!? No scoop!

http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4144849-it-actually-feels-like-coming-home-again-dis-meets-jonsi-from-sigur-ros

Hawkings
05-13-2012, 07:43 PM
I need to see them soooo bad, i'm thinking of going to Outside Lands...They only have 1 show in LA, 2,500 capacity and it sold out instantly.

I'm hoping they add 2 shows the 13th and 14th, either
Paladium 4,000
Gibson – Universal 7,000
Nokia 7,100
all 3 venues have Mon Aug 13th and Tues 14th open

cutterbutter
05-13-2012, 07:48 PM
Well since they have a 2nd album coming out along after the release of Valtari I would expect their return to be in support of that.

Hawkings
05-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Woohoo I get to see them 3 times this year;)

New date: 7/29 Skyline Stage (Mann Center) Philadelphia, PA

"thats all the gigs to be announced for the US/CA tour in july/august as far as i know"

sigur ros moderator

is that from
http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/ Spooks ? I was thinking of emailing an official website or something begging for more LA shows and bigger venues, with some examples of venues with nothing booked during empty spots in their tour. it seems like they underestimate how popular they are

Hawkings
05-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Well since they have a 2nd album coming out along after the release of Valtari I would expect their return to be in support of that.

That's true :D

suprefan
05-13-2012, 09:58 PM
is that from
http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/ Spooks ? I was thinking of emailing an official website or something begging for more LA shows and bigger venues, with some examples of venues with nothing booked during empty spots in their tour. it seems like they underestimate how popular they are

They know how popular they are. They just decided to play these venues to start things off. Do you want them to play to a half empty Hollywood Bowl again?

sonofhal
05-14-2012, 07:06 AM
http://sigur-ros.co.uk/valtari/hour/

Spooks
05-14-2012, 07:22 AM
They know how popular they are. They just decided to play these venues to start things off. Do you want them to play to a half empty Hollywood Bowl again?

Hawkings, yes I think Darren (moderator @ sigur ros message board) posted there will be no more dates to be announced for North America. But who knows, you might just get a last minute gig that week @ Masonic Lodge;) Don't worry, there will be full US tour in spring 2013 leading up to Coachella!

ps I thought Bmack said the show was pretty full @ Hollywood Bowl. I would have loved to see them there...

http://sigur-ros.co.uk/valtari/hour/
I'll wait till my pre order comes in:)

this thursday, may 17th, there'll be a global 'valtari' listening party. at 7pm in each time zone around the world, fans can listen to a stream of the album on our website. using the #valtarihour tag, fans are invited to tweet and post photos to instagram of their own listening parties!

bmack86
05-14-2012, 01:27 PM
I don't know how full the Bowl was, but I do know that it was in the top 5 shows I've ever seen.

Spooks
05-14-2012, 01:59 PM
I don't know how full the Bowl was, but I do know that it was in the top 5 shows I've ever seen.

I want to see them there! I'm guessing one of the sets from ATP 2008 is in your top 5 haha along with Radiohead @ Hollywood Bowl 2008! By the way, I can't believe not one NYC record store isn't on this list! I want a test pressing vinyl! Did anyone order "I want everything" pre order option for new Sigur Ros? I love this band but spending over $250 is little too much (http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/).

This Thursday 5/17, those who listen to the album at a record store will have the opportunity to pre-order the album with a limited edition Valtari print and enter to win a Valtari prize pack, which includes a "Valtari vinyl test pressing, a copy of the very-sold-out RSD exclusive Hvarf/Heim LP on clear vinyl, and a custom, limited print." The band is also encouraging fans to discuss the album on twitter and Instagram while its streaming using the hastag #valtarihour

PARTICIPATING INDIE RETAIL STORES:
BK Music (Richmond, VA)
Bull City (Durham, NC)
Bull Moose (Portland, ME)
Cactus Music (Houston)
Criminal (Atlanta, GA)
Dimple (Folsom, CA)
Disc Exchange (Knoxville)
Ear Candy (Missoula, MT)
Electric Fetus (Minneapolis)
End of an Ear (Austin)
Fingerprints (Long Beach, CA)
Good (Dallas)
Greywhale (Taylorsville, UT)
Grimey's (Nashville)
Guestroom (Norman, OK & Oklahoma City, OK)
Harvest (Asheville, NC)
Homers (Omaha)
Landlocked (Bloomington, IN)
Lou's (Encinitas, CA)
Luna (Indianapolis, IN)
Melody Supreme (Charlottesville, VA)
Monster (Charleston, SC)
Music Millennium (Portland, OR)
Origami (Los Angeles)
Park Avenue (Orlando)
Phono Select (Sacramento, CA)
Princeton Record Exchange (Princeton, NJ)
Radio Active (Ft. Lauderdale)
Rasputin (Berkeley, CA)
Record Archive (Rochester, NY)
Record Exchange (Boise, ID)
Repo Records (Philadelphia)
Scenesc.com
Schoolkids (Raleigh, NC)
Sonic Boom (Seattle)
Sound Garden (Baltimore)
Streetlight (San Jose & Santa Cruz)
Strictly Discs (Madison)
The Telegraph (London, CT)
Twist & Shout (Denver)
UHF Records (Royal Oaks, MI)
Underground Sound (Ann Arbor, MI)
Vintage Vinyl (St. Louis, MO)
Vinyl Renaissance (Kansas City, KS)
Waterloo (Austin)
Zia (Phoenix)

mountmccabe
05-17-2012, 03:17 PM
I got home late and missed the first two songs but yay, am in on valtari forty five minutes (http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/valtari/hour/) now.

TallGuyCM
05-17-2012, 05:58 PM
Two minutes!!! :dumbo

Spooks
05-18-2012, 02:29 PM
In an interview with Icelandic newspaper The Reykjavík Grapevine, Sigur Rós frontman Jónsi said that band member Kjartan Sveinsson is "tired of touring." Thus, he will not accompany his band mates when they go on their world tour to promote the upcoming album Valtari.

Rumors that the band is breaking up or that Sveinsson's left altogether are false, Jónsi and band member Georg "Goggi" Hólm told the Grapevine. Sevinsson just "wants to spend his time doing something else" and says that time spent touring is "not necessarily the most productive." Ólafur Björn Ólafsson of Stórsveit Nix Noltes and Benni Hemm Hemm will replace him on keyboard and oboe, and Hólm's younger brother Kjartan Dagur Hólm (from the band For a Minor Reflection) will play guitar in his place.

http://www.pitchfork.com/news/46576-sigur-ros-kjarten-sveinsson-to-sit-out-world-tour/

cutterbutter
05-24-2012, 03:21 AM
A slow burn of an album if there ever was one. Grand but sparse. I've listened a couple times now and its akin to watching a kettle boil: if you listen intently you are rewarded eventually, sure, but at the cost of what feels like too long of a time. The real reward comes from letting go and being caught off guard when it reaches its highest highs and lowest lows.

buddy
05-24-2012, 03:56 AM
I had the exact same reaction to 2 Live Crew's As Nasty As They Wanna Be

Alchemy
05-30-2012, 09:31 AM
The last track on the album sounds like the songs on Minecraft. I liked it.

tmac
06-13-2012, 03:42 PM
congrats moviebruin!

suprefan
07-29-2012, 01:52 PM
Streaming their brooklyn show on tuesday. I suggest tuning in

http://www.npr.org/event/music/157422851/sigur-r-s-live-in-concert-from-celebrate-brooklyn

suprefan
07-29-2012, 08:39 PM
7-29-12 Mann Center - Philadelphia PA

Ekki Mukk
Varud
Ny batteri
I Gaer
E Bow
Saeglopur
Svefn-g-englar
Hoppipolla
Med Blodnasir
Olsen Olsen
Festival
Haffsol

Encore:

Daudalogn
Untitled #8

Gribbz
07-29-2012, 08:55 PM
Nice.

MuseRadio
07-29-2012, 09:56 PM
Fantastic setlist. Love seeing all the Takk love in there. Saeglopur is an absolute monster live.

unit300021
07-29-2012, 10:35 PM
Pretty good set list. Would have liked to see some more ( ) as that still is my favorite album from them.

Boourns
07-29-2012, 10:42 PM
I Gaer

No fucking way.

TallGuyCM
07-30-2012, 01:28 AM
Are they known for mixing up their sets a lot? I guess if this is the set they're sticking to I'd rather know now that they're not going to play Glosoli. :-/

Spooks
07-30-2012, 05:40 AM
No fucking way.

Yea I couldn't believe it either. Out of 7 times I've seen them before, they never played it. Probably my favorite song from last night. I was tripping pretty hard during the beginning of their set and this song took it to another level! I shot the last part to this song so I'll post it soon!

Are they known for mixing up their sets a lot? I guess if this is the set they're sticking to I'd rather know now that they're not going to play Glosoli. :-/

Unfortunately from the past few tours, they change up maybe a song or two. I would rather see them bring back Vaka or more materials from ()...

ps lots of new merch including tour exclusive 10" I'll post the pics later!

HotHamWater
07-30-2012, 05:53 AM
If that's the exact set list I get in Portland, I'll be ecstatic. They didn't play Olsen Olsen or I gaer when I saw them at Red Rocks in 2008, and those are two of my favorite Sigur Ros songs.

Gribbz
07-30-2012, 09:43 AM
I guess if this is the set they're sticking to I'd rather know now that they're not going to play Glosoli. :-/

For me, this is the case for all bands. Looking at a setlist doesn't "spoil" anything for me.

No fucking way.

Right? That song is going to be chilling in the cemetery.

schoolofruckus
07-30-2012, 10:14 AM
Is it true that Kjartan isn't touring with them this time? I'm sure that has to limit the setlist at least somewhat.

schoolofruckus
07-30-2012, 10:22 AM
7-29-12 Mann Center - Philadelphia PA

Ekki Mukk
Varud
Ny batteri
I Gaer
E Bow
Saeglopur
Svefn-g-englar
Hoppipolla
Med Blodnasir
Olsen Olsen
Festival
Haffsol

Encore:

Daudalogn
Untitled #8

Setlist.fm also lists "Vidrar Vel Til Loftarasa", which is another major live highlight....any verification as to whether this is part of the set?

Gribbz
07-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Is it true that Kjartan isn't touring with them this time? I'm sure that has to limit the setlist at least somewhat.

That's what I've read. Not sure why though.

schoolofruckus
07-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Bums me the fuck out. As soon as that news broke, I knew that my one remaining holy-grail Sigur Ros song - "Samskeyti", or "( ) #3" - wasn't happening on this tour.

Pea
07-30-2012, 12:06 PM
Samskeyti was THE song that got me into Sigur Ros, and remains one of my favorite songs of all time. Sure I'll be bummed if they don't play it, but there is no way I'm going to leave that show anything less than amazed. Jonsi's solo show in Seattle was one of my favorite shows ever, and I hardly knew his material at the time. They won't disappoint.

Spooks
07-30-2012, 12:36 PM

He's tired of touring. Look at my post from 5/18 in this thread. It's not bad at all though as two other guys are helping the band out along with 6 brass/string players:) No Amiina members helping them out this time around...

Opening song: Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvtOMEZJLJ8&feature=plcp

schoolofruckus
07-30-2012, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I liked his live show too but they are on a totally different (higher) level as a full band - as reliably amazing as anyone else in contemporary music.

Spooks
07-30-2012, 12:40 PM
Yeah, I liked his live show too but they are on a totally different (higher) level as a full band - as reliably amazing as anyone else in contemporary music.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they've played Untitled 3 since 2002 () tour....I haven't seen them play it since then.

Spooks
07-30-2012, 12:47 PM
Setlist.fm also lists "Vidrar Vel Til Loftarasa", which is another major live highlight....any verification as to whether this is part of the set?

You're correct. Vidrar was played right after Svefn and yes everyone kept quiet during the break in that song:) Won't be like that tomorrow in Brooklyn I bet I bet...

Spooks
07-30-2012, 01:00 PM
Merch #1

Spooks
07-30-2012, 01:01 PM
Merch #2

Spooks
07-30-2012, 01:02 PM
Tour 10"

Spooks
07-30-2012, 01:04 PM

Spooks
07-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Good night...great venue:)

Spooks
07-30-2012, 01:07 PM
He wasn't looking too good at the show. I guess he made it as far as the train station...happy hour time! Night #2 :thu

Aphxtwinin
07-30-2012, 01:12 PM
great setlist and thanks for the Merch pics! I'm still holding out for a show at Red Rocks, I have yet to see them and I want my first show to be either RR or Sunset at Coachella. Any of you think theres any chance for a more extensive US tour in October which is completely open for them? Also, a little birdie told me of a possibility of Bjork showing up in Brooklyn...

cutterbutter
07-30-2012, 01:16 PM
The rare octo-post.

casey
07-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Merch #2

thanks for posting! i want that bag.

Gribbz
07-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Those t-shirts are rad. I'm going to get one if there isn't a show poster.

Spooks
07-30-2012, 01:22 PM
great setlist and thanks for the Merch pics! I'm still holding out for a show at Red Rocks, I have yet to see them and I want my first show to be either RR or Sunset at Coachella. Any of you think theres any chance for a more extensive US tour in October which is completely open for them? Also, a little birdie told me of a possibility of Bjork showing up in Brooklyn...

Unfortunately, the dates posted on their website through end of Nov will be the only shows they'll be playing this year (talked to Orri before the show). But they're planning on doing full US tour next spring so I'm sure they'll make a stop @ Red Rocks again:) When I mentioned Coachella possibility, he smirked and said we would definitely love to play there again. Coachella 2013!

ps I can definitely see Bjork being at the show tomorrow. She lives right near the venue:)

Gribbz
07-30-2012, 01:31 PM
Unfortunately, the dates posted on their website through end of Nov will be the only shows they'll be playing this year (talked to Orri before the show). But they're planning on doing full US tour next spring so I'm sure they'll make a stop @ Red Rocks again:) When I mentioned Coachella possibility, he smirked and said we would definitely love to play there again. Coachella 2013!

Arizona and Coachella? Dig.

Kyliediscope
07-30-2012, 02:11 PM
Merch #2

I'd rock any of those shirts, but B is the best.

nyarlathotoats
07-30-2012, 02:12 PM
Opening song: Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvtOMEZJLJ8&feature=plcp

So fucking beautiful

Gribbz
07-30-2012, 02:27 PM
So fucking beautiful

Goosebumps.

Boourns
07-30-2012, 02:44 PM
Bums me the fuck out. As soon as that news broke, I knew that my one remaining holy-grail Sigur Ros song - "Samskeyti", or "( ) #3" - wasn't happening on this tour.

I still have:
I Gaer (finally playing this one, hope it stays in the sets)
#7 (Dauđalagiđ) (they only played this at Red Rocks on the last tour...damnit)
Starálfur

HotHamWater
07-30-2012, 02:51 PM

Damn straight, and it was just as haunting as you would imagine.

schoolofruckus
07-30-2012, 03:12 PM
I still have:
I Gaer (finally playing this one, hope it stays in the sets)
Starálfur

I guess I would include "Hún Jörđ …" on my bucket list also, but I have written off all chances of that ever coming back.

Gribbz
07-30-2012, 03:13 PM
Starálfur
This and "Vaka" for me. I'm very satisfied with the setlist though regardless of my two favorite songs being omitted.

unit300021
07-30-2012, 03:37 PM

I'm sure I'm in the minority on this one but I don't want them to play coachella. Selfish reasons because I doubt I'm going to coachella again next year and if they do play that means more then likely no other so cal date. Also they are a band I would only want to see with dedicated fans. I cant think of anything worse then a person seeing them and not getting them and talking during them and ruining it for everyone around them. I can see that happening very easily at Coachella unless of course hey close the outdoor, which means you are more then likely going to deal with sound bleed.

Gribbz
07-30-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm sure I'm in the minority on this one but I don't want them to play coachella. Selfish reasons because I doubt I'm going to coachella again next year and if they do play that means more then likely no other so cal date. Also they are a band I would only want to see with dedicated fans. I cant think of anything worse then a person seeing them and not getting them and talking during them and ruining it for everyone around them. I can see that happening very easily at Coachella unless of course hey close the outdoor, which means you are more then likely going to deal with sound bleed.

RELEASE THE HOUNDS.

Gribbz
07-30-2012, 03:44 PM
In all seriousness though, Jonsi was incredible on the Outdoor in 2010. I don't recall sound bleed ruining anything. Then again, I was rather focused.

sonnyboy11
07-30-2012, 03:57 PM

A lot of these same sentiments/concerns were expressed prior to GY!BE's recent performance at Coachella. They were magical and the crowd was attentive for the most part. Sound bleed wasn't a big issue, especially closer into the stage. I sure as hell hope Sigur Rós will be there one day. It would work.

Gribbz
07-30-2012, 04:03 PM
^ Good point. I'm still shocked at the lack of sound bleed. I mean, wasn't David Guetta playing at the same time?

unit300021
07-30-2012, 04:09 PM
Jonsi was amazing on the outdoor, my favorite set of the weekend. If they are there and I happen to be at coachella then of course I would see them. I'm just hoping they aren't more for me most likely not being at coachella for the first reason I stated, which is indeed selfish I know.

IceyHotshot
07-30-2012, 04:17 PM
^ Good point. I'm still shocked at the lack of sound bleed. I mean, wasn't David Guetta playing at the same time?

You could definitely hear Guetta's untz but it wasn't bad and honestly GY!BE was so good that I just didn't even notice after the first 45 seconds.

Gribbz
07-30-2012, 04:23 PM
The acid I was on probably helped.

schoolofruckus
07-30-2012, 07:02 PM
In all seriousness though, Jonsi was incredible on the Outdoor in 2010. I don't recall sound bleed ruining anything. Then again, I was rather focused.

A lot of these same sentiments/concerns were expressed prior to GY!BE's recent performance at Coachella. They were magical and the crowd was attentive for the most part. Sound bleed wasn't a big issue, especially closer into the stage. I sure as hell hope Sigur Rós will be there one day. It would work.

Did neither of you go in 2006? They played the Main Stage at sunset, and as nice as that sounds on paper, it didn't work. There were some sound issues beyond their control, but it is NOT the environment that best suits them.

Jonsi was good in 2010, but the expectations for Sigur Ros are (or should be) higher.

suprefan
07-30-2012, 07:06 PM
I don't think either of them went in 2006. And yes, there were issues. We can start with Kanye messing up with all the timing. But the crowd not having a clue, since they were a pro Depeche Mode audience (sorry jen) made it worse.

Gribbz
07-30-2012, 07:11 PM
There were some sound issues beyond their control, but it is NOT the environment that best suits them.

Sure, but does that mean they shouldn't play again? Coachella isn't the best environment for say, Tallest Man on Earth. His set was still really good.

Spooks
07-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Hey Tall Guy,
Your wish has been granted. The encore was Glosoli into Untitled 8 tonight :thu

Tomorrow: Brooklyn!

schoolofruckus
07-30-2012, 07:36 PM
Not saying that people shouldn't want them to play. Just saying it's not as great an idea as it might seem. And also, that anyone who really wants to see them should find a way to hit one of those spring 2013 headlining shows.

suprefan
07-30-2012, 07:39 PM
Sure, but does that mean they shouldn't play again? Coachella isn't the best environment for say, Tallest Man on Earth. His set was still really good.

He played in the afternoon in a fucking tent. Tell me how this directly correlates with being main stage at sunset with 50,000 people, who probbaly 90% had no idea who Sigur Ros was?

Gribbz
07-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Not saying that people shouldn't want them to play. Just saying it's not as great an idea as it might seem. And also, that anyone who really wants to see them should find a way to hit one of those spring 2013 headlining shows.
Yeah, I feel you.

He played in the afternoon in a fucking tent. Tell me how this directly correlates with being main stage at sunset with 50,000 people, who probbaly 90% had no idea who Sigur Ros was?

Listen to his music and think about it, dummy. Think about it really hard.

suprefan
07-30-2012, 07:45 PM
Oh, cause being somewhat enclosed did help with soundbleed, as opposed to not? Thats it, right?

I have seen Tallest Man play on an outside stage at a festival, and everyone was quiet. That, and it was 102, so you can't do much in that weather except shut the fuck up and drink water.

Why aren't we discussing Leonard Cohen, or Jeff Mangum? Wait, they actually gave them a silent slot.

Dumbfound
07-30-2012, 07:46 PM
This and "Vaka" for me. I'm very satisfied with the setlist though regardless of my two favorite songs being omitted.

Svo Hjlott and Vaka for me. Won't get either, but still would be very happy with this setlist.

I wonder if they break out Untitled #7 on the 12th, it being a cemetery and all... :)

Gribbz
07-30-2012, 07:50 PM
Oh, cause being somewhat enclosed did help with soundbleed, as opposed to not? Thats it, right?

I have seen Tallest Man play on an outside stage at a festival, and everyone was quiet. That, and it was 102, so you can't do much in that weather except shut the fuck up and drink water.

Why aren't we discussing Leonard Cohen, or Jeff Mangum? Wait, they actually gave them a silent slot.

Well, I'm talking about Coachella. Tons of people were talking and there was definitely sound bleed. Say what you want, a music festival isn't the ideal place for a solo acoustic act (and apparently neither is Sigur Ros).

Boourns
07-30-2012, 08:11 PM
Did neither of you go in 2006? They played the Main Stage at sunset, and as nice as that sounds on paper, it didn't work. There were some sound issues beyond their control, but it is NOT the environment that best suits them.

As much as I enjoyed the fuck out of that set, indoors with a two hour set is really the best way to see them. I was pretty gone during that set, so there may have been problems I didn't notice, though.

Gribbz
07-30-2012, 09:10 PM
I wonder if they break out Untitled #7 on the 12th, it being a cemetery and all... :)

Yeah, I wonder if we'll get something different due to the atmosphere. Either way, I'm beyond excited.

TallGuyCM
07-30-2012, 09:29 PM
Hey Tall Guy,
Your wish has been granted. The encore was Glosoli into Untitled 8 tonight :thu

Tomorrow: Brooklyn!

Holy shit! I take back every bad thing I've said about you.

:dumbo

And Jesus, those two back to back?!? To finish a show?!?

sonnyboy11
07-30-2012, 09:35 PM

Jonsi was good in 2010, but the expectations for Sigur Ros are (or should be) higher.

I did go in 2006 but missed their performance. It was my first year attending so just didn't lock in the way I can now.

nahuatldream
07-30-2012, 09:53 PM
Damn straight, and it was just as haunting as you would imagine.

We were there. Second row. A-maze-ing.

Gribbz
07-30-2012, 09:55 PM
Hey Spooks, have any close ups of that poster? This appeared on gigposters last week:

http://i.imgur.com/bZJJd.jpg

Probably not commissioned since I didn't see it in any of your pics.

TallGuyCM
07-30-2012, 09:58 PM
That looks like a poster a band like The Shins or The Decemberists would have, not Sigur Ros.

Gribbz
07-30-2012, 10:01 PM
That looks like a poster a band like The Shins or The Decemberists would have, not Sigur Ros.

Personally, I tend to think of the mountains/forest (amongst other things) when I listen to Sigur Ros and Jonsi. Their music can be about anything you want, really. One of the reasons why I love them.

EDIT* I can definitely see where you're coming from though.

TallGuyCM
07-30-2012, 10:05 PM
I'm more talking about the design. It's all cutesy-cartoony-indie-etc like those bands' posters/album art/t-shirts tend to be.

cutterbutter
07-30-2012, 10:07 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3e/Chutes_Too_Narrow.PNG

TallGuyCM
07-30-2012, 10:09 PM
LOL, yeah I guess that's exactly what I was thinking of.

Gribbz
07-30-2012, 10:10 PM
I'm more talking about the design. It's all cutesy-cartoony-indie-etc like those bands' posters/album art/t-shirts tend to be.

Ohhhh. Didn't look at it in that light. I agree.

EDIT* Kevin Tong would be perfect.

cutterbutter
07-30-2012, 10:20 PM
It did get released actually. 3 color screen print edition of 50. Spooks could have missed it with it being a 4000 person venue. http://www.shawnhileman.com/Sigur-Ros

Other expressobeans dude said there was a lithograph poster for $25 that was not signed or numbered and was likely the same one available online (not sure where).

The thread here. Im sure people will pop in as the tour goes on:http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&p=1562951 Not too many prints from them over the years. Only amazing one Ive ever seen and I've bugged Ken Taylor to do a sequal for Hollywood... Never know.
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/155451_372054699502312_434311565_n.jpg

Gribbz
07-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the info, Cutter.

Svo Hjlott and Vaka for me. Won't get either, but still would be very happy with this setlist.

Holy shit, they added Vaka! There's hope for Hollywood Forever after all.

Courtney
07-30-2012, 10:35 PM
FYI, they just put up another batch of tickets for the Seattle show, so it's no longer sold out. So if you're thinking of paying scalper prices in your home city, you should just use that money to buy a plane ticket to come visit me and see the show here.

Spooks
07-31-2012, 05:24 AM
Last night was very Takk friendly with 6 songs from the album....

7/30 Skyline Stage @ Mann Center
Ekki Múkk
Varúđ
Ný Batterí
Í Gćr
Vaka
Sćglópur
Gong
Andvari
Viđrar Vel Til Loftárása
Hoppípolla
Međ Blóđnasir
Olsen Olsen
Festival
Hafsól

Encore:
Glósóli
Popplagiđ

Hey Spooks, have any close ups of that poster? This appeared on gigposters last week:

http://i.imgur.com/bZJJd.jpg

Probably not commissioned since I didn't see it in any of your pics.

Nope I didn't see this poster!

casey
07-31-2012, 07:45 AM
FYI, they just put up another batch of tickets for the Seattle show, so it's no longer sold out. So if you're thinking of paying scalper prices in your home city, you should just use that money to buy a plane ticket to come visit me and see the show here.

Aww, I had (have?) tickets to this show. Lilia's selling them for me. We could have hung out!

schoolofruckus
07-31-2012, 09:22 AM
Last night was very Takk friendly with 6 songs from the album....

7/30 Skyline Stage @ Mann Center
Ekki Múkk
Varúđ
Ný Batterí
Í Gćr
Vaka
Sćglópur
Gong
Andvari
Viđrar Vel Til Loftárása
Hoppípolla
Međ Blóđnasir
Olsen Olsen
Festival
Hafsól

Encore:
Glósóli
Popplagiđ

That is a nice shuffle, and a slight improvement over the first night. But they really should stop wasting time with "Festival", which is probably their worst song.

Spooks
07-31-2012, 09:46 AM
That is a nice shuffle, and a slight improvement over the first night. But they really should stop wasting time with "Festival", which is probably their worst song.

No way. I think that was one song from the last album I wanted to see live but they didn't play it at any of 4 NYC shows from 2008 tour!

Glósóli from last night. Enjoy Tall guy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvySerODkEA&feature=plcp

schoolofruckus
07-31-2012, 09:48 AM
It's Sigur Ros on autopilot. What does "Festival" do that "Glosoli" and "Hafssol" don't do better?

Spooks
07-31-2012, 10:01 AM
It's Sigur Ros on autopilot. What does "Festival" do that "Glosoli" and "Hafssol" don't do better?

lol. You can say that about lot of their build ups to epic moments on different songs. I could say what does "Glosoli" do that "Untitled 8" and "Hafsol" don't do better...

First time hearing it live this weekend with 11 members on stage just felt right:)

Dumbfound
07-31-2012, 10:04 AM
Holy shit, they added Vaka! There's hope for Hollywood Forever after all.

Yeah, saw last night. I'm hopeful - got two shots at it, OSL and HFC

Dumbfound
07-31-2012, 01:11 PM
http://www.npr.org/event/music/157422851/sigur-r-s-live-in-concert-from-celebrate-brooklyn

Tonight's Brooklyn show streaming on NPR

Boourns
07-31-2012, 04:40 PM
Audio just went out on the webcast. Hallelujah, came back just in time for I Gaer

nyarlathotoats
07-31-2012, 05:11 PM
Audio just went out on the webcast. Hallelujah, came back just in time for I Gaer

Same shit kept happening to me on my phone, so I said fuck it. NPR will have it streaming for a couple days, so I'll listen in later.

TallGuyCM
07-31-2012, 09:15 PM
As someone who hadn't listened to the band intensively until the past year or so, I have a question...do a lot of Icelandic phrases sound the same, or does Jonsi repeat phrases often in the band's songs? I swear I hear something that sounds like "you-sigh-la" in like half their songs.

Gribbz
07-31-2012, 09:30 PM
You mean... Hopelandic? =)

TallGuyCM
07-31-2012, 09:34 PM
Sure.

cutterbutter
07-31-2012, 10:05 PM
So there are songs in Icelandic and then there are songs in Vonlenska/Hopelandic. The later is a gibberish language that Jonsi uses to sing some songs. Its phonetically similar so you may not know he is using one or the other. There are always a number of songs sung in it and every song from ( ) is in it. There are all only a certain numbers of syllables he utilizes to convey the feelings behind his singing. I believe they only utilize 12 "words" across the whole ( ) album. It kind of goes with the whole Untitled 1 2 3...8 things. They were only named later on. No words, no titles, just the emotion.

There use to be a great breakdown of it on wikipedia (I believe) but it appears to be gone. But there is a list of all the songs in Vonlenska on the Sigur Ros wiki page at least.

Don't hold me to that info. I discovered ( ) in 8th grade and was fascinated and while I looked some things up I generally like leaving the ambiguity (to someone that doesnt know the languages) in their music.

TallGuyCM
07-31-2012, 10:21 PM
I generally like leaving the ambiguity (to someone that doesnt know the languages) in their music.

Same here. Especially with how brutally depressing the lyrics sound like they are (I forget who it was that mentioned he had read them translated into English), I like just having the sound of the vocals being an additional instrument.

Thanks for the info!

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-31-2012, 10:23 PM
I had thought for years that all of the lyrics were in the "made-up language." I like it better that way.

Gribbz
07-31-2012, 10:27 PM
I like it better that way.

No kidding. Ha, it's kind of unsettling to me that someone would want to translate Sigur Ros lyrics. I feel like that defeats the purpose of the band's music (for me). To each their own though, of course.

Aphxtwinin
07-31-2012, 10:28 PM
I had thought for years that all of the lyrics were in the "made-up language." I like it better that way.

I agree, I read translations of their lyrics and it kinda ruined it for a bit.

cutterbutter
07-31-2012, 10:30 PM
Dude, how does it defeat the purpose of the bands music? They have been huge on playing their music for the people of Iceland with many of the songs drawing inspiration from the country itself. There are people who know that language. Its not magically english-centric because they have rabid fans who don't know the language.

And you have to remember that the context and deliverance is lost in a lot of translations. Its like people getting chinese characters tattooed on them. They might be correct from a technical standpoint but its not what a Chinese person would use.

Now I really want to speak with someone about their music who speaks Icelandic to get their take on things.

Giant list you dont want to scroll through of the songs using the language the band created. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigur_Rós#Vonlenska)

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-31-2012, 10:32 PM
omg i just noticed your sig Cutter bahahaha

TallGuyCM
07-31-2012, 10:49 PM
Dude, how does it defeat the purpose of the bands music?

Hahaha, that's what I was thinking. Possibly defeats the purpose of how an English-speaking person tends to listen to the band, but that's entirely different.

Gribbz
07-31-2012, 10:51 PM
Yikes. No need to get defensive. It would defeat the purpose for me personally. I thought the whole "to each their own" comment reflected that. My bad.

EDIT* Clarified my other post.

unit300021
07-31-2012, 11:00 PM
I always make up my own translation of there music depending on what the song sounds like. Example Heysatan I imagine a person at war writing a letter to hiw wife describing his time (lame I know but that's the feeling I get from it). Then I looked up the translation for that song and a few others and they were nothing like I imagined it in my head.

That's part of the reason why I love them so much is because I don't understand the language that the lyrics can be whatever I want them to be.

Spooks
08-01-2012, 04:33 AM
Thank you Sigur Ros and I'll see you next year:)

Brooklyn 7/31

Ekki Múkk
Varúđ
Ný Batterí
Í Gćr
Vaka
Saeglopur
Svefn-g-englar
Viđrar Vel Til Loftárása
Hoppípolla
Međ Blóđnasir
Olsen Olsen
Festival
Hafsól

Encore:
Glósóli
Popplagiđ

Boourns, this is for you...

I Gaer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOXhNe-E_KI&feature=plcp

Untitled 8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_gTOhXoJYU&feature=plcp

HotHamWater
08-01-2012, 06:20 AM
Sigur Ros will always be an all-instrumental band to me. I have no desire to look up translations to their lyrics.

casey
08-01-2012, 08:13 AM
I don't really have the desire to look up the translation to their lyrics either, but that's not to say I never will. Usually when I listen to music (including music in English) I don't listen to the lyrics right away anyway. I listen to how the voice is used as an instrument to compliment the other instruments in the band. The melody and in certain cases quality of singing is usually what's most important to me there.