PDA

View Full Version : Boards of Canada vs MBV

brycerosen
04-19-2008, 11:29 AM
I hear so much talk about MBV and BOC on this board and I am very intrigued, what is the best MBV and BOC album(s) I should download to expose myself to them?????

stinkbutt
04-19-2008, 11:32 AM
MBV-Loveless

menikmati
04-19-2008, 11:32 AM
Go buy Music Has the Right to Children and Geogaddi from BoC. Enough said. (I also recommend downloading the old tunes vol. 1 and 2 from BoC as well, good stuff to be found)

Pixiessp
04-19-2008, 11:33 AM
i concur. loveless all the way around.

orbit
04-19-2008, 11:36 AM
http://cdn.last.fm/coverart/300x300/61.jpg

http://a3.vox.com/6a00c2252c8528549d00d09e6747ebbe2b-320pi

or you can wait for the music has the right to children 10th anniversary re-release. hopefully.

menikmati
04-19-2008, 11:37 AM
yeah hopefully

uniform72
04-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Classic albums and covers.

orbit
04-19-2008, 11:41 AM
(I also recommend downloading the old tunes vol. 1 and 2 from BoC as well, good stuff to be found)

the problem with old tunes vol 2 is that there are a lot of different copies, so basically nobody knows exactly which one is the real deal.

boredofcanada
04-19-2008, 11:44 AM
yeah, and the hooper bay e.p. mysteriously sounds a lot like mum's finally we are no one......just sayin
e

betao
04-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Ok, here is my advice for the best way to get into Boards of Canada.

I'm going to have to say, start with Campfire Headphase. Now, it isnt their best album - their best album is 3 way tie between Twoism, Geogaddi, and Music has the right to Children. But, if you've never been exposed to BoC before, start with Campfire Headphase. Alot of people who try to listen to the other 3 end up saying "i dont get it, this is boring, whats so amazing about them?". You have to have a patient ear with Boards of Canada sometimes.

So I say, to break the ice, start with the songs on Campfire Headphase that provide acoustics - Dayvan Cowboy, Hey Saturday Sun, Chromakey Dreamcoat, and Satellite Anthem Icarus. Other notable songs are Peacock Tail and 84' Pontiac Dream. When I want to get people into Boards of Canada, I always introduce them to these songs first, because they are alot more "listenable" than some of their other stuff that may take some time to get into.

So listen to Campfire Headphase first. Trust me, you'll fall in love with it. From there, move to either MHTRTC or Geogaddi. Be ready to be hypnotized by the haunting melodies and samples that both of them provide. I think all of their albums are downright brilliant, but I find the first 3 to be more captivating and unique.

But like I said earlier - break the ice with Campfire Headphase. Trust me, it always works.

orbit
04-19-2008, 12:04 PM
if you want to break the ice just listen their remix of why?-good friday

and then move to mhtrtc

betao
04-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Haha this happened recently, was very funny.

My friend has a cool Boards of Canada sticker on his laptop, and someone asked him if BoC was a skateboarding company or brand.

luckyface
04-19-2008, 12:27 PM
Ok, here is my advice for the best way to get into Boards of Canada.

I'm going to have to say, start with Campfire Headphase. Now, it isnt their best album - their best album is 3 way tie between Twoism, Geogaddi, and Music has the right to Children. But, if you've never been exposed to BoC before, start with Campfire Headphase. Alot of people who try to listen to the other 3 end up saying "i dont get it, this is boring, whats so amazing about them?". You have to have a patient ear with Boards of Canada sometimes.

So I say, to break the ice, start with the songs on Campfire Headphase that provide acoustics - Dayvan Cowboy, Hey Saturday Sun, Chromakey Dreamcoat, and Satellite Anthem Icarus. Other notable songs are Peacock Tail and 84' Pontiac Dream. When I want to get people into Boards of Canada, I always introduce them to these songs first, because they are alot more "listenable" than some of their other stuff that may take some time to get into.

So listen to Campfire Headphase first. Trust me, you'll fall in love with it. From there, move to either MHTRTC or Geogaddi. Be ready to be hypnotized by the haunting melodies and samples that both of them provide. I think all of their albums are downright brilliant, but I find the first 3 to be more captivating and unique.

But like I said earlier - break the ice with Campfire Headphase. Trust me, it always works.

Honestly, this is what I would recommend. A little more accessible than their other releases.

Dave Gravy
04-19-2008, 12:29 PM
Hi Scores EP

bballarl
04-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Loveless is the best album ever.

betao
04-19-2008, 12:41 PM
yeah - for getting into MBV, the answer is Loveless. No question.

TonyWonder
04-19-2008, 12:54 PM
I gave a copy of this EP to a friend and it worked. Dayvan Cowboy is the first track and maybe BoC's most accessible tune. Left Hand Drive and Skyliner are also exceptional, you'll be hooked by the end of it.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll131/tonycoach/boc.jpg

psychoc&ndy
04-19-2008, 01:48 PM
Honestly, this is what I would recommend. A little more accessible than their other releases.

agreed! worked with my friend, he's hooked to the B of C now

bballarl
04-19-2008, 02:19 PM
I got into BOC through MHTRTC, but I would agree that it is not ultra accesible. Luckyface gives good advice.

With My Bloody Valentine, you have to start with Loveless, because it is a stone cold classic. From there, download Isn't Anything, the Glider EP, the You Made Me Realise EP and the Tremelo EP.

I honestly think that Loveless is one of the greatest rock n' roll sonic acheivements ever. For an ideal experience, listen to it extremely loud on vinyl.

i_like_cake530
04-19-2008, 02:37 PM
MBV - Isn't Anything

and obviously Loveless as well.

orbit
04-19-2008, 03:18 PM
uhmm.. I don't know. I'd suggest even Geogaddi before the Campfire Headphase. Actually, I've introduced many people to BoC with geogaddi. but mhtrtc has always worked.

anyway, when you get to geogaddi, stop and listen the bonus cut from MBV isn't anything sessions.

menikmati
04-20-2008, 04:36 PM
I started with MHTRTC, and I haven't been hooked on an album like that since I first heard Nevermind way back when I was 7. Then I moved onto Geogaddi, and thought it was even better.

luckyface
04-20-2008, 04:52 PM
I was hooked when I first heard MHTRTC as well, but at that point I was way into that brand of music. I think someone who is new to the genre might be able to hang around longer with Campfire Headphase. Then they can give the other two CD's a shot once they realize how awesome BoC is and be blown away!

apachedino
04-20-2008, 05:04 PM
I agree with the above suggestions for album order, but as far as songs go my fav BoC is 1969 followed closely by a Beautiful place out in the country.

woogie846
04-20-2008, 06:17 PM
Loveless

bartelby
04-20-2008, 06:37 PM
Music has the right to children got me through law school...that disc is simply amazing