PDA

View Full Version : Your First Year.

RedThom
04-18-2008, 01:22 PM
This is to commemorate your first year. Share your story. The day you fell in love with the festival. Or just that one time you got so fucked up that it was suddenly Monday and you were home.

I started in 2004 with wanting to see EVERYBAND on the poster. It was insane. With sparse knowledge of the festival because I was like... 17 I bought tickets to it and just went thinking it would be just too rad for words. It was preparation that went unheeded... Firstly, I didn't know where Indio was until the weekend before the festival. Secondly, I had never stepped near the message boards to find out what to do to have a good/not problematic time and I sure as hell (as well as anyone else that weekend) didn't see the 110 degree weather coming. Granted this is Indio, but as some of you will recall it was about 100 at sunset. Hot fucking day.

I also found myself running from stage to stage. I also made a grave mistake in seeing Beck instead of anyone else at that time. I love Beck but an acoustic set while profusely sweating is less than stellar. The day evened out with the evening. The Pixies, Radiohead, some of the rapture ,Kraftwerk and electric six. By the time my friend wanted to drive back, I was beat but overwhelmed to no end. I mean, there was nothing like this for me. I'd been to attending shows since the age of 12 but not with this kind of collective. These unique blend of folks who would suffer this dry heat for this kind of energy. I vowed that I would go as many years as its around from that point on.

Before leaving, I had to pee in the stall before the long drive home. I heard Phantom Planet playing "California, here we come" or whatever that track was. And as much as I dislike that song, I had to concede to the fact that it was befitting. I thought to myself "this is special".

Cdubby
04-18-2008, 01:25 PM
this is my first year, will report back in a couple weeks

Blinken
04-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Last year was my first, i spent ALOT of time lurking around the boards, i was ready by the time it came around. I ended missing half of Friday because my group wasn't as prepared as me and we were running really late. By the end of the day on Friday i knew i would be coming back this year.

SFChrissy
04-18-2008, 01:32 PM
My first year was in 04...the feeling of my exstacy hi peeking at the moment of radiohead starting to play creep...the people we met we just fantastic a great weekend all the way around!!!

zenidogx
04-18-2008, 01:36 PM
my first year was 17, so we couldnt camp. my brother and i stayed at a rest stop just down the freeway. i didn't know how to navigate through the festival. i was not lost, but just didn't know how to maneuver my way through crowds. it was 06, which was a good year. i chose to watch "rock" shows over anything else. that is why i missed Cat Power for Eagles of Death Metal and Seu Jorge for Editors. i stand by my choices. DAFT PUNK was a suprise for me. i knew their big songs so i thought i'd watch. the energy in the tent was amazing. i didn't find out until later that this was their first US show in almost a decade.
i remember when i first arrived, it reeked of pot, but the smell went away quickly. however, when i got home, the smell was on my clothes and in my hair. awesome.
laslty, i must admit to watching James Blunt. i listened to his album, cheesy songs aside, i thought he could put on a decent show, which he did. wasn't amazing, but solid. i missed a bad Magic Numbers set for him, so it evened out.

who i saw:
TV on the Radio
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!
Bloc Party (sucked)
James Blunt (as mentioned above)
most of Gnarls Barkley (left early for good YYYs spot, crazy)
Yeah Yeah Yeahs (at sunset, beautiful)
Eagels of Death Metal
Murs
Matisyahu (hot as hell, he wasn't that good)
Mates of State
Be Your Own Pet (short, but cool)
Octopus Project
Mogwai (the grass was nice, screw maddona)
Daft Punk
Dungen (my top to-see band of the year, great fuckin show)

paganman7
04-18-2008, 01:38 PM
My first year was '06. I will never forget stumbling, accidentally I might add, into the Sahara on Saturday night around 10:30. Why are the tones from Close Encounters playing...

shmamber
04-18-2008, 01:43 PM
My first year was also 2004. I was 21 years old, and I carpooled with 3 friends in a rented SUV. On our way we encountered a brush fire on I think I-210 that closed the freeway and led us to actually hang out standing on the freeway outside the car for a while. Around the time we passed the huge wind farm going south (you know which one), we found a random radio station that was playing "Come Down" by Bush. I'm not a Bush fan, but I was moved to tears when this happened; it seemed only to be reinforcing my feeling that I was on the brink of a positive life-changing experience.

We camped by the Salton Sea, and on Friday evening, as we set up our tents and the sun set against the distant mountains, I called a number from a barely-working cell phone and found out that I'd been accepted as a transfer student to UC Berkeley, a dream many years in the making. Also that evening, one of my friends and I finally decided to become a couple, after nearly a year of will-we-won't-we angst (I'm glossing over the deets). This was the realization of another dream. I was on cloud 9 already, and we hadn't even heard any music! I mean, except for the smoky dance party taking place in the center of the campground. ;-)

The details of the actual festival are sort of blurry to me now, partly because of the INTENSE heat (hell yes it was 110 degrees out--IN THE SHADE!), and partially for reasons I'll leave to your imagination. :P All I know is that it was a weekend of complete and utter magic. I will never forget the feelings I had that weekend for as long as I live--it was absolutely perfect. And the music! Highlights for me included Belle & Sebastian on the main stage as the sun began to set; The Cure (my first time!) playing the closing set on Sunday night; Pixies playing as the sky turned pink and purple against the palm trees and brown hills; and endless hours spent in the "rave tent." I remember parking lot wars on Saturday night, with people finally running over traffic cones to get out; I remember the encounter my new boyfriend and I had in the beer garden by the main stage with a guy we have since referred to as "speed pipe man"; I remember dirty feet, the Gobi tent nearly exploding with people trying to see Beck, pizza slices, coconuts with straws in them, smoothies, and how the only thing you could get for free on the polo grounds was American Spirit tobacco...but most of all, I remember an overwhelming feeling of abandon, of freedom, of magic. Nothing else existed that weekend but Coachella, and all of us.

We drove home that Monday, a bit worse for wear but happy--and I knew that my life would never be the same. That we were probably all crazy for loving spending 3+ days in 110 degree temperatures clutching our water bottles and dancing like maniacs...but that those things, they were part of the collective experience. I was hooked.

That new boyfriend of Coachella 2004 is now my husband of almost 2 years. We have attented Coachella every year since we first came, and each year has been unique and even more amazing than the last.

Gross, that got a bit cheesy--but it's true! :P

whynotsmile99
04-18-2008, 01:44 PM
I had never been to a EDM show, or Dj or dance tent or any of that.

I stumbled into Carl Cox's set in 06 and it totally opened me up to a new genre of music

amyzzz
04-18-2008, 02:06 PM

I went with my boyfriend, who is now my husband of 8 years. I remember seeing Morrissey, Bis, Cibo Matto, Beck, hearing Perry Farrell rather loudly in the distance, and best of all, Lamb. They were AMAZING in the tent--incredible energy by both the audience and the band, just throbbing with positive energy. We left early Sunday late afternoon because we didn't really care about Rage or Tool and drove back to Arizona. We skipped a few years, but we've been back to every Coachella since 2004.

scoop49er
04-18-2008, 02:16 PM
2007 was my first year:

i had been wanting to go since 1999 but finances and having kids made my priorities clsoer to home.

finally we decided to get away and picked coachella and it was amazing! saw 50+ plus bands and loved every min. and ive been to hundreds of shows so it takes something to impress me and i was impressed!! we will be back this year and very excited to see my favorite of all time, prince rock the house!

canexplain
04-18-2008, 02:23 PM
My first year was 04 too and yes it was hot one silly thing I remember in 05 (and I did it at the roo too) , I forgot a pump to pump up my air mattress, so I went from campsite to campsite and asked everyone I met if they would just blow one breath in my air mattress, then we could all be as one he he .. you would be surprised how much pot smoke was in my mattress I only had one dude who went ewwwww, everyone else was cool about it and I got my mattress blown up :) x****

fiopadp7791
04-18-2008, 02:26 PM
Bloc Party (sucked)

Good story overall, but were we at the same 'fest? I thought they were one of the highlights of '06. I was obsessively listening to their "Silent Alarm" album at that time, and I thought they lived up to it live and some.

fiopadp7791
04-18-2008, 02:47 PM
I had never been to a EDM show, or Dj or dance tent or any of that.

I stumbled into Carl Cox's set in 06 and it totally opened me up to a new genre of music

Amen brotha... I knew who he was going into that set, but I thought beyond Daft, he had the best set in the Dance tent that year

fober
04-18-2008, 02:52 PM

THEY RAN OUT OF FUCKING WATER AND IT HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH KROQ

THANK YOU MR. GUY WITH A HOSE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE POLO GROUNDS

I don't even wanna fucking know where that water was coming from, even though I didn't drink any of it.

Just used it to wet my ARTIST DIRECT hat to keep my head cool.

zenidogx
04-18-2008, 02:59 PM
Good story overall, but were we at the same 'fest? I thought they were one of the highlights of '06. I was obsessively listening to their "Silent Alarm" album at that time, and I thought they lived up to it live and some.

we will have to disagree here, i saw them again at Detour 07 and still, nothing. the band is limited to Kele's talent.

Blinken
04-18-2008, 03:15 PM
My first year was 04 too and yes it was hot one silly thing I remember in 05 (and I did it at the roo too) , I forgot a pump to pump up my air mattress, so I went from campsite to campsite and asked everyone I met if they would just blow one breath in my air mattress, then we could all be as one he he .. you would be surprised how much pot smoke was in my mattress I only had one dude who went ewwwww, everyone else was cool about it and I got my mattress blown up :) x****

nice, you slept on a bed of weed. :)

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-18-2008, 03:34 PM
2001 was my 1st year.

I remember finding a add for it (which I still have) at Tower Records and being stoked that Aphex Twin ad Iggy Pop were going to be there. I ended up going because my older brother wanted to see Sasha and Digweed and Paul Oakenfold (ha!). We got to the festival late. like around 4 or 5 and I was pissed because 1. we missed Iggy Pop and 2. Aphex was replaced by Squarepusher (who I wasn't too familiar with at the time). Everything was just a bit of a mind fuck. The way the air tasted and the energy. I had a hard time collecting myself. I finally decided that I wanted to check out a band I heard Thom Yorke raving about called Sigur Ros. No clue what they sounded like but since I was there and hadn't really seen anything yet I though why no? It took them forever to set up but once it started I had no idea what I walked into...so fucking beautiful and completely unprepared for it. I would compare it to someone never listening to Radiohead and then stumbling upon their live shows back in 2003. My brother didn't want to see them because he was rolling..so he spent most of his time in the Sahara tent...which is where I went after Sigur Ros...I was walking on air..and danced my ass off for the rest of the night...and no I wasn't on anything...though I almost tried e that day...I decided against it when my brother had bought a "bad" batch...and to this day I have never done a drug...ever...still so much...that 1st one was a eye opener.

johnnystar
it was in 2006 was really into music was going with my bro and two cousin but it change my whole life thanks too DAFT PUNK cant wait for KRAFTWERK this year

dethroned
Read it and weep:
First year was '05. Was originally going for both days, then Doves announced a show in SF for the Sunday night, so we decided to just go Saturday. Friend I went with knew someone who knew someone who could guestlist us for the Saturday. I sold my 2-day ticket for waaay below cost.
Then Doves cancelled. We decided to go anyways. The drive down was horrific. We arrived nice and early on Saturday, only to find that the band who was allegedly guestlisting us was playing Sunday and therefore had not yet left the passes at will-call. We waited, and waited, all goddamn day outside the gates by the will-call. By the time they finally showed up, it was after 7 and we were so fed up we left, never having gotten in. I drove 10+ hours each way to sit outside all day. I think it speaks to my enormous capacity for forgiveness that I'm still friends with that person.

Vic Viper
04-18-2008, 07:31 PM
First year, 06.

Heard Hybrid's new album.
Daft Punk.
Surprise Yeah Yeah Yeah's show blowing my mind.
Massive Attack just after sunset.
Tool.

No sleep, so dehydrated I barely pissed twice in as many days, contact high until Monday afternoon.

The end.

PS - Daft Punk

thedevious
04-18-2008, 08:04 PM

THEY RAN OUT OF FUCKING WATER AND IT HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH KROQ

THANK YOU MR. GUY WITH A HOSE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE POLO GROUNDS

I don't even wanna fucking know where that water was coming from, even though I didn't drink any of it.

Just used it to wet my ARTIST DIRECT hat to keep my head cool.

Hah I remember those floppy white terry cloth muthafuckas! And yes indeed thank you to that fellow wetting down all of our hats!

petty
04-18-2008, 08:52 PM
You're a good writer shmamber :thu- Felt like I was there. :)

My first year was also 2004. I was 21 years old, and I carpooled with 3 friends in a rented SUV. On our way we encountered a brush fire on I think I-210 that closed the freeway and led us to actually hang out standing on the freeway outside the car for a while. Around the time we passed the huge wind farm going south (you know which one), we found a random radio station that was playing "Come Down" by Bush. I'm not a Bush fan, but I was moved to tears when this happened; it seemed only to be reinforcing my feeling that I was on the brink of a positive life-changing experience.

We camped by the Salton Sea, and on Friday evening, as we set up our tents and the sun set against the distant mountains, I called a number from a barely-working cell phone and found out that I'd been accepted as a transfer student to UC Berkeley, a dream many years in the making. Also that evening, one of my friends and I finally decided to become a couple, after nearly a year of will-we-won't-we angst (I'm glossing over the deets). This was the realization of another dream. I was on cloud 9 already, and we hadn't even heard any music! I mean, except for the smoky dance party taking place in the center of the campground. ;-)

The details of the actual festival are sort of blurry to me now, partly because of the INTENSE heat (hell yes it was 110 degrees out--IN THE SHADE!), and partially for reasons I'll leave to your imagination. :P All I know is that it was a weekend of complete and utter magic. I will never forget the feelings I had that weekend for as long as I live--it was absolutely perfect. And the music! Highlights for me included Belle & Sebastian on the main stage as the sun began to set; The Cure (my first time!) playing the closing set on Sunday night; Pixies playing as the sky turned pink and purple against the palm trees and brown hills; and endless hours spent in the "rave tent." I remember parking lot wars on Saturday night, with people finally running over traffic cones to get out; I remember the encounter my new boyfriend and I had in the beer garden by the main stage with a guy we have since referred to as "speed pipe man"; I remember dirty feet, the Gobi tent nearly exploding with people trying to see Beck, pizza slices, coconuts with straws in them, smoothies, and how the only thing you could get for free on the polo grounds was American Spirit tobacco...but most of all, I remember an overwhelming feeling of abandon, of freedom, of magic. Nothing else existed that weekend but Coachella, and all of us.

We drove home that Monday, a bit worse for wear but happy--and I knew that my life would never be the same. That we were probably all crazy for loving spending 3+ days in 110 degree temperatures clutching our water bottles and dancing like maniacs...but that those things, they were part of the collective experience. I was hooked.

That new boyfriend of Coachella 2004 is now my husband of almost 2 years. We have attented Coachella every year since we first came, and each year has been unique and even more amazing than the last.

Gross, that got a bit cheesy--but it's true! :P

beavington
04-18-2008, 08:58 PM
My first Coachella was in 04. Prior to that there was not a group of performers I wanted to see enough to endure the heat. In 04 I was originally going to buy tickets for just Sunday to see the Cure and Le Tigre mainly. However I won some tickets on KROQ which was sweet, since they were the two day passes.

It was one of the greatest weekends, it was so much fun, filled with a lot of music, good vibes from the people. However the people i went with were not as down to truck it all the way through like i was. That time I also stayed in a hotel.

In 06 when I went again, and this time buying the tickets from Glasshouse. It was a fucking awesome time again, but again the people i went with differed from what I wanted to see so I went without on a few artists.

Now in 08 I am single (which means I am not buying my boyfriends tickets or paying for him to eat and get a shirt or something) I will get to see all I want and do all I want and drink this time (the boyfriend was underage at the time).

In 06 I camped and decided taht is the only way to do coachella, camping is a must.

Pixiessp
04-18-2008, 09:22 PM
It was 2004 and it was for the sole purpose of seeing my all time favorite band the Pixies. I was so excited to get to see them again that I threw up at the hotel the morning of the show. It was sooooo hot that day but I don't have to tell all of you that were there that year.I remember everyone scrounging for shade and as the day progressed the shadows grew and I would see all these people plunking down anywhere where there was shade.
Didn't matter where this shade was.people were lying everywhere.
I didn't even attempt to camp out by the main stage for a closer view of the Pixies it was soooo hot. thank god for those huge screens. My niece and i were in awe of how well the festival was run and how friendly and chill everyone was.we have been back every year since then.
Highlights of each year:
2004-Pixies and Radiohead
2005-Bauhaus and Wilco
2006-DAFT PUNK!!!!!!! have never quite recovered.
2007-Hot Chip and Do Lab and Blonde Redhead

1togo
04-19-2008, 01:04 PM
My first Coachella was 2002. I wanted to see Bjork....since she is one of my queens on the throne..lol. Anyways, she started playing and I was holy #$#@
I can't believe i'm, listening to her LIVE...and each song she just got better and better, and then she sang "GENEROUS PALMSTROKE". Tears just started rolling down my face, it was the first time I had ever heard the song. I remember time stood still for me... I remember everything was in sync. everything. I looked around and felt nothing but love. It was one of those moments where you know all is well and I was here to realize it. Totally Unforgettable......

That was Coachella 2002 for me.
There been plenty of more I can mention...but 2002 is kind of special.

SEE U ALL AT COACHELLA 2007.

cansei de ser sexme
04-19-2008, 01:14 PM
you got a time machine?

RickeyinLA
04-19-2008, 01:25 PM
In 2001 I saw St.Germain KILL during an afternoon set on the Outdoor Stage and from that moment I've not missed a day. Perfect venue, weather, people, music, art, I will never stop going to Coachella.

cansei de ser sexme
04-19-2008, 01:27 PM
the first band i saw at coachella was head automatica.
lol

erikua
04-19-2008, 01:48 PM
2006 - 1st band I saw was HYBRID and to my surprise Perry Ferrel came out to join on stage with them.

I went for Depeche Mode of course and was blown away afterwards with Daft Punk

slurpee
04-19-2008, 02:06 PM
2004 I made the journey from Chicago to Coachella.

I haven't stopped going since.

KatieLyn
04-19-2008, 02:20 PM
I was 13 and my brother and his wife were taking me so that I could finally experience a concert. She loves concerts and many of the bands, he however hates large crowds.
So I was stoked, because who gets to see radiohead and pixies for their first show? So that was, obviously, amazing.

I forgot which day Beck was on, but I really wanted to stay for that, and my brother was hot and tired and made me go home =[

menikmati
04-19-2008, 02:26 PM
But Beck played the same day as Radiohead and the Pixies, so how did you go home and not see Beck, yet see RH and Pixies (who played later that night)?

coldstart
04-19-2008, 02:40 PM
My first Coachella was '06. I went to see Tool since I caught their last show about 4 years before that. Coachella became the highlight of every year after that.

RedThom
04-19-2008, 03:35 PM
But Beck played the same day as Radiohead and the Pixies, so how did you go home and not see Beck, yet see RH and Pixies (who played later that night)?

he could be talking about 2002?

suprefan
04-19-2008, 05:13 PM
2003, Underworld, Mars Volta. N.E.R.D., Sonic Yourh, BLUR, The Hives, Queens among the batch of good ones I saw(theres more but y aknow). Dirty Vegas sucked major balls....

Pixiessp
04-20-2008, 12:46 AM
stellastarr* was great that year. I just happened to stumble into the tent(don't even know which one it was) and was very pleased with their show.

AbundantChoice
04-20-2008, 07:06 AM
My first was 2002. Came down from SF with three friends, and had *no* idea what to expect. Favorite memories of that first festival?

* First act seen: Kosheen. Still one of my top 5 Coachella performances.
* Being one of about 10 people to watch the **** Pong Bitches on the outdoor stage eeeeearly on sunday.
* Ozomatli coming out into the audience with their horn section after they ran out of stage time.
* Ending up way to the front for the Prodigy and feeling these incredible waves of energy coming from the band and the crowd
* Seeing the Tesla Coil and Robochrist's robots for the first time.

Man, that was a fantastic year. And we've been back every year since, even though we've moved all over the country.

kiely
04-20-2008, 08:46 AM
My first year was last year. My friends and I wanted to go in 2006, but being 15/16 couldn't get our shit together. Last year things came together magically, and my three friends and I headed out there. We didn't really know what to expect (other than great music). We were not prepared for the heat even coming from Arizona, the crowds, or the exhaustion. However, these small things didn't stop us from having an incredibly memorable experience. We all vowed to return every year that it was humanly possible. Only 3 of the 4 are returning this year. Coachella creates permanent bonds with everyone around you and it is hard to describe the magic to anyone who hasn't attended. April 27th, 2006 I joined The Church of Coachella and I am happily making my 2nd, and certainly not my last, pilgrimage on the 25th.

Sonicifyouwantit
04-21-2008, 03:27 PM
2002 was my first...headed out saturday broke down about 40 miles out. Got towed back, took my mothers car. Got there around 330 4pm. Saw people parking off the lot and thought man I hope I can get a spot in the lot. Drove right up and there was a spot open in front of the gate. Kojack parking!

camped in front of mainstage...after that promised I would go both now all three days from then on and have...also ventured away from the mainstage, and now spend a lot of time in the sahara.

apachedino
04-21-2008, 03:51 PM
06 was my first and then we stumbled upon Daft Punk......

Weatherman
04-21-2008, 03:55 PM
2004 was my first. Seeing Mindless Self Indulgence, Adam Freeland, Atmosphere, Basement Jaxx, Hieroglyphics, etc. was amazing. I missed some I really wanted to see (!!!, Hometown Hero, Junior Senior) but it was great.

Random highlights:
- Watching a bit of Radiohead, then rushing over to MSI, and after MSI I went back to RH and they immediately played "Idioteque"
- Passed out under a statue while Kinky played.
- Walking out possibly a mile away while MF Doom played on in the background. The walk sucked and we had some problems with our transportation but that was cool.

Looking at the old schedule I actually missed a lot of bands. Whoa.

microserfs21
04-21-2008, 04:02 PM
2007 was my first year. My first time stepping onto the polo fields was magical. I don't ever want to miss a Coachella again.

lisa pea
04-21-2008, 04:11 PM
Ah, my first time was back in 99. The best part was just arriving there and seeing a huge crowd of people in line to get in. It was the first year so no one really knew what to expect. All I knew was that I was gonna get to see some cool bands like Bis, Morrissey, and Beck. It was an amazing adventure that I will never forget despite all the drugs I was on.

humanoid
04-21-2008, 04:35 PM
1999...so exciting, no one knew quite what to expect...it far surpassed any hopes we had!! haven't missed a day since
LSD & oppressive heat=a winning combination!

Trick Loves The Kids
04-21-2008, 05:09 PM
2006, I wasn't going to go and then they announced Daft Punk and I flipped out and got tickets. I went alone, I didn't know anybody else going. I had a lot of fun, Daft's set blew my mind (and other things ;) ). Some jerk stole my bags from my tent so I had to wear the same clothes both days, and I forgot to unzip my tent at night so I woke up drenched in sweat at 7am to the sounds of a completely obnoxious dude trying to offer coke to some girl in the next tent over. Despite all of that I had a lot of fun!

special44
04-21-2008, 05:32 PM
1999 - The most solid lineup ever in my opinion. I was 18... It was hot, it was in OCTOBER, The main stage was where the entrance is now, it was 2 days, there were only about 25-30,000 people, you could get a lake cahuilla campsite the day of, Some guy selling acid for $60 a sheet, A perfect circle being the first band to play music at 1pm on the first day; before they had a record out, UNDERWORLD!!, GUS GUS!!, LAMB ok I could go on but.....

deekay
04-22-2008, 11:51 AM
Well, last year was my first year. I won tickets off a Milwaukee radio station--flight, hotel, spending cash--all expenses paid. Honestly, the moment I stepped onto the field I knew I'd be back this year. Even though this was a shitty moment, my favorite memory was when my friend and I drove in early on Saturday morning only to get in the lot & realize that Will had forgotten his ticket at the hotel. I bitched him out for a solid...well, actually the whole ride back to the hotel & back to the grounds :) . When we finally got back in, we got a parking spot next to some great people from San Diego, made friends, got drunk, and everything was cool again. It made me realize that anger simply cannot exist at Coachella.

locachica73
04-23-2008, 01:28 PM
This will be my first year and I have truly enjoyed reading this board and getting such a great vibe from everyone on here. I have actual butterflies, something that doesn't happen much at the age of 35. Very Very Excited!!!

Aphxtwinin
04-23-2008, 01:59 PM
my first year was last year and it was an incredibly memorable experience...as soon as the first night was over after seeing Bjork I promised myself I would come every year i could no matter the line up....see you all there this weekend...stay safe, hydrated, and I hope to see you there

sbessiso
04-23-2008, 02:28 PM
represent Miami! ^^^^^

chairmenmeow47
04-23-2008, 02:52 PM
my first was also 2004.

my boyfriend and i had planned on going, but they sold out of saturday tickets :( so we got tickets for sunday. and i actually knew indio because i had gone to school at idylwilld arts academy near there, so it was kinda neat to go back.

we had other friends that already had tickets for saturday. we lived in phoenix, so we asked them to check the box office for saturday tickets and if they had them, we would go.

well, i was in the bath when i got the call and my boyfriend and i high tailed it outta there to indio. i remember telling my friends to just leave the tickets on their tire or something in the parking lot, not knowing what the parking lot was like obviously, lol. they kept trying to tell us that wasn't a good idea, but we didn't understand till we saw how huge the parking lot was. they met us at the gate instead.

the first act i caught was beck. it was a weird set overall and you couldn't really see him if you weren't in the tent. it was crazy to see all the people there. we wandered around and caught a few acts, i don't remember who was on which day. we were mainly excited for radiohead.

both days we had a great time. we caught the marriage proposal at broken social scene, atmosphere talking about all the hot ladies in the hotels, the flaming lips walking through the crowd in a giant clear beach ball, the pixies, perry farrell sucking ass on the decks, the ORIGINAL robots (kraftwerk), adam freeland, air's sunset set and of course the cure. it was weird hearing the le tigre shouts during pictures of you, but i was most excited to see the cure since i had never seen them.

this is cheesy, but it was my boyfriend and i's two month anniversary (we'd been friends for like 2 years before that too), and they played close to me which was our song and we went nuts.

the only thing that sucked was my boyfriend decided at the last minute he didn't want to stay in a hotel sunday night and just wanted to drive back to phoenix. i told him he was crazy, but i would go along with it if i didn't have to drive. i did offer to drive out of the parking lot (that lovely 2 hour wait), but he was to take the wheel when we got on the freeway.

of course an hour in he was sleepy and i had to take over. i told him "if i have to drive, you have to listen to me sing musicals to keep myself awake", lol. i think we had to stop a few times to rest before finally making it home. he somehow made it to work that day but i slept.

such a good experience. i came home and sent everyone pictures of the flaming lips in the beach ball and kraftwerk, but nothing could describe the awesomeness. it's cheesy, but i really felt at home there. it was like the first time i went to a rave. i felt truly comfortable dancing and smiling in the field and that's a rare thing for me; i don't really trust people but coachella was just different. i couldn't wait to come back. and i did, in 2005 and 2006 and i'll be there saturday!

mountmccabe
04-23-2008, 03:05 PM
I wanted to go in 1999 but couldn't get anyone to drive with me from Tucson.

Then came 2001; I was excited to see the Dandy Warhols, Chemical Brothers and Aphex Twin. My friend in Chicago was psyched about the Weezer reunion and the fact that we could see a Suns-Kings playoff game the next day made him pull the trigger on the trip. He flew out and we drove out Saturday morning.

The first band I saw was the Dandy Warhols; it was a little surreal, seeing them, of all bands, in the full sun of Southern California at 2 pm. They sounded great. We wandered the Polo Grounds, saw Iggy Pop, a good Weezer set and tons more. No Aphex Twin but we stumbled into Sigur Ros in the Mojave; I didn't quite enjoy what I saw but it made enough of an impression that I bought their CD that summer anyway.

After the fest we drove for a while, slept for a couple hours outside a Dennys in Blythe and then continued on to my place. Got up a couple hours later and watched the Suns lose. Even so we were sure we wanted to head back the next year.

kindablue
04-30-2008, 08:39 AM
2008 was my first year... not too shabby. My best friend called me 2 months ago and ordered me to save my money for the next 2 months because I was going to a music fest with him. He bought my plane ticket from Portland, Oregon. What a good friend.

So, I started researching Coachella, and to my suprise, I found I was going to something BIGGER than just a plain old music fest. The more I read, the more excited I became. I learned about as many different bands as possible (thank you Coachella/Myspace!!!). I started to get a real feel for what I was in store for. I found tons of new bands/performers/DJ's that I'd never even heard of, but now very interested in seeing... I formulated my game plan.

My wife, 4 months pregnant and not attending, became UBER-jealous!

I read the message boards everyday for a month, and then they dropped the bomb on me: Prince on saturday night! TOO MUCH! (when morris day and sheila E came out on stage, I was floored!)

The day before the fest, my friends informed me that we had no tickets, their plan was to just "find" some when we got there. Some of the wind went out of my sails, but I was not giving up. It was irritating that we didn't actually enter the grounds till after 830pm, but thanks to the border brothers, I only paid 60 bucks to get in. I looked at the ticket he sold me later... it was a camping pass, no festival admittance. HAHAHA! But he walked me through the line and I was in. Saw Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings (AMAZING!!!!), and Fatboy Slim. A great night for me. Ate my first x since 2003, came on strong during Sharon Jones and lasted thru the first part of Fatboy Slim. A really cute girl I met during that show shared another pill with me, just cause she liked me. What a sweetheart! Wish I knew what happened to her, cause I would so like to thankher properly and repay the favor somehow.

Saturday, my friends were still dragging their feet. I was up at 7 am ready to ROCK, but we didn't manage to leave the hotel till after noon. Again with the ticket search. I waited 15 mins and decided I was NOT going to miss anything else, so I paid the $100 and left those fools in the dust. 5 mins later, they all went to the counter and did the same. I think we got in just after 3pm. I swore from then on, I was not going to depend on anyone else for this event. Tickets in advance and in my hand, so I can be INSIDE when I want to.

I printed out set lists for everyone in my group (thanks to the folks who made those SWEEEEEET spreadsheets). I had a game plan and stuck to it. Was not disappointed on saturday at all. First time I ever even heard Portishead. That was INTENSE. Kraftwerk, also my first time, very fun. Prince rocked but all my friends left me alone and stayed in the Sahara most of the night. I spent most of the concert alone, but that's ok. I made so many NEW friends. People I will never forget.

I called my wife on Sunday when my Friends decided they didn't want to go on sunday. I WAS PISSED! I promised her, if she wasn't pregnant next year, she was going.

I was bummed all day sunday. I missed out on a lot of groups I wanted to see for the first time, but THANK YOU Ron for at least getting me in for a day and a half.

thank you COACHELLA. I went in feeling like an old man (31yrs old), but I left feeling like a teenager again.

And thank YOU, the reader, for taking time and sharing my first Coachella experience. Next year, I hope I meet you so I can spread the love, and maybe do something to help you have a great time! I'll be guy yelling the loudest at all the venues, dancing the hardest, passing the biggest spliff, and smiling the biggest. See you in '09!!!

Damack
05-15-2008, 03:07 PM
I typed this wall of text for my friends after my first year.

Descending upon the desert I found myself both giddy and anxious amidst a nervous excitement of someone about to embark on a mysterious journey, destination unknown, but with the ending somehow knowingly positive. The location is Indio, about 12 miles east of Palm Springs in the desert region of California. Indio is an affluent retirement community that is bombarded by tens of thousands of revelers every year. A paradoxical setting no doubt, but a fabulous venue nonetheless. Accompanied by my brother, his wife, and my wife Monica, we answered the desert's beckoning and set off on a pilgrimage to discover the oasis known as the Coachella Valley Music festival.

Spread out over lush acres of polo fields, Coachella is a marvel of organization and design. Unlike many other music festivals, Coachella had a neighboring campsite for those wishing to dream under the stars, or hallucinate if that's your preferred type of relaxation (the "security" checkpoint was hardly secure, nor much of a checkpoint so contraband was plentiful). Sound stages were placed far enough apart to not conflict audibly with each other even though the sound quality was excellent at each location. There were abundant maps, water stands, food vendors, toilets, etc. where the wait time for anything was under a minute or two. Overall, the technicalities were an achievement in accommodating the tens of thousands of people reportedly there. But even with that staggering number, it hardly felt that way because everything was so spread out and I never felt claustrophobic. A perfect venue with perfect southern California weather, one wonders how this was only our first time there.

Growing up in the eighties, I was a closet fan of the goth group, Bauhaus. But as with my other musical tastes, I never got into dressing the part or behaving the part (I was also a punk music fan). Possibly as a result, I never felt confident enough to attend a Bauhaus concert (not enough black in my wardrobe) nor a Sex Pistols concert (not enough anarchism in my blood) for that matter. Never mind the fact that by the time I was of concert attending age, said bands had already broken up, haha. But you get the point. Anyway, Bauhaus had a reunion tour in 1998, which I also missed, but amazingly they were one of the headliners at Coachella. So the band of my youth finally reunited in my thirties for one night and it was really cool. And even though some of the crowd dug into their closet and brought our their black garb, most of the people were just regular folk enjoying the show. They began their set with their most famous tune, "Bela Lugosi's Dead". Any fan(s) of Bauhaus will know of their front man Peter Murphy as having that haunting voice that just seeps in leaving you feeling all creepy inside, especially as he sang this tune hanging upside down. Fittingly they got a night time slot as singing about vampires just isn't the same if done in the light of day. The other members were there, all hitting middle age but still playing timelessly sounding as good live as on the records of yore.

A pleasant surprise was when my wife took me to the stage that hosted a Latin favorite, Cafe Tacuba. Not speaking a word of Spanish other than the bad ones, I found that it really didn't matter when listening to their music. High energy all around and the crowd really gets into it as well. Their front man isn't an ominous figure like Peter Murphy, but a spastic powder keg of a man dominating the stage regardless of his diminutive stature. As one fan stated before they started playing, "I think Cafe Tacuba's gonna make a lot of new fans tonight." Surely count me in on that. Definitely check them out if they should happen to be on a stage near you.

Our night concluded with my brother and sister checking out Coldplay on the main stage, and Monica and I checking out the Chemical Brothers on the electronica stage (Sahara Tent). The Chemical Brothers put on a great show filled with lasers, graphics, smoke, and of course those 'block rocking beats' that they've become famous for. Monica wasn't much of a fan of the Brothers before, but like Cafe Tacuba was for me, she's a fan now. I first saw them live in Austin a few years back and the crowd lacked energy, the venue lacked spirit. This time was completely the opposite as the crowd kept pace with the music and the open desert sky reverberated on through the night.

It's been 3 weeks since Coachella and I'm still stirring with echoes and memories of that night. Like a sailor surviving the wails of a siren, I'm left yearning for next year's summons. Whether it was us just getting there a little before sunset, or the incredible vibe of the revelers, or the amazing lineup of music, Coachella was a great experience. I found it liberating to lay down while listening to music and it being okay. I found it even more liberating to not worry about cops at every 15 paces (in fact, I don't even recall seeing a uniformed officer). It was a come as your are, do as you will type of event which is a dying breed in today's gestapo amber alert type of society. I, for one hope that it continues to be that way so at least we'll still have one last bastion of pure freedom and liberation outside of Burning Man, which if that's anything like Coachella, I'm there. Our exodus was a mixture of a sad farewell and a delightful sensation of discovering something remarkable and being able to say, "yeah, I did that."

Geno_g
05-15-2008, 05:23 PM
'07 was my first and my friend went in '06 and told me how crazy Coachella was, and just cause the line-up went out and bought tickets right away, but I will never miss a Coachella ever again, It's like a vacation and a total get away from everyone and everything.

This year went out and bought the tickets in March, and Prince was a big bang for the buck!

menikmati
05-15-2008, 07:18 PM
I was scared my first year on my first night in the campgrounds (2005). There was some tall guy with blue hair was drunker than shit, and he was starting shit with all the security guards when I was checking in, and they called in these really big guys and they hauled him off....then later on that night while walking around, I saw him again in a huge shouting match with some other camper.

roadrunner
05-15-2008, 07:40 PM
08 was my first year. Ive never come closed to nutting in my pants from joy in my life.

Sonicifyouwantit
05-15-2008, 09:35 PM
I'm listening to moon safari by air, if you havnt heard...what are you waiting for?? Just bought it on vinyl yesterday...for some reason I never got it in that format till now. anyway reason I bring it up, listen to it while reading these stories it makes the read very pleasant.

Quadromarshia
09-06-2008, 05:18 AM
产品名称:音乐喷泉计算机喷泉控制系统系统功能:音乐喷泉控制配套的专用控制产品喷泉 (http://www.music-water.com/index.asp),可实现对开关、变频、跑动等各类水型的灵活控制,音乐喷泉 (http://www.music-water.com/index.asp)采用予编程控制和实时音乐控制相结合的方式。喷泉控制系统特点:1)硬件组成上采用模 块化结构,喷泉工程 (http://www.music-water.com/gc.asp?id=64)模块之间采用485 通讯联络。喷泉设备 (http://www.music-water.com/shebei.asp?id=59)为用户提供灵活方便的远程、喷泉公司 (http://www.music-water.com/pqgs.htm)离散型控制方案

Are you fucking serious? This isn't the olympics message board, man.

BrickTop24
02-11-2009, 01:12 PM
mine was 06. i remember saturday didnt start off so great for me. i accidently locked my keys in my car so i had to wait for AAA to come and take care of that situation. my friends ditched me to go to the festival while i was left alone to set up the tent. when i finally got inside the festival grounds i already missed a few of the opening acts that i wanted to catch, not to mention puttin sun block on so i was pretty much sunburned during the day. but as the day went on it got better from there. my friends spent the whole time in the sahara tent so i had to see alot of the acts i wanted to see by myself but while doing that, i got to meet alot of cool people. then right after Daft Punk's set, i headed back to my tent to crash. my friends only went for saturday at the time so i had to pack my camping gear up and take them home and come back. fortunately i had some other friends commin down from Sacramento just for sunday so i was able to spend that time with them.

sunday was much better. got there on time and was able to catch more acts and meet more people. and enjoyed the experience alot more that i had to come back the next years.

this will be my forth one comming up.

AlecEiffel
02-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Here is the story of my first Coachella (2004) weekend, written on 05/12/2004. I haven't read it in a long time so it was fun to go back and take a look. I find it funny, kind of cute and pretty embarrassing how childlike, naive and innocent I seemed to be only five years ago. not to mention how poorly written it is. Sorry it's so long, I hope someone might get a kick out of it or relate to it in some way:

"The weekend started off sort of shitty. We picked up Abe, and that was awesome. Then Abe and I picked up Nicole and Eric, two very nice people I met on FrankBlack.net and the four of us headed to Davis to see the Pixies. Everything was going awesome. Everyone was getting along despite Abe talking about smoking pot NON STOP. We got to Dixon which is maybe five or ten minutes outside of Davis when my car breaks down 4 ever. I was pretty bummed, but I was determined to keep my cool and stay 1000% positive like Andrew W.K.
Abe and I bid goodbye to our new friends as they were able to get a ride to Davis. We had to call AAA and get a tow all the way back to my house. The tow truck driver was an ok dude, even though I am positive he thought Abe and I were an obnoxious gay couple. Which is actually pretty hilarious.
We walked to the In n Out Burger and got some damn food. Then we went back to my house and watched the Sweet D is Mario movie, which is the best movie I have ever seen in my entire life. We watched E until it was time to go. Time to go was a little after 3 am. Serene, Chris and Sean came and got us and we were up and on the open road.
Everyone was stoked.
We drove and drove and drove.
Abe got a Bill Cosby tape that we never listened to.
We went to a mall in Pasadena where everyone but me got some Dairy Queen and no one finished. There was a store in the mall called "Sword in the Stone" that Chris had a gigantic hard on for. They sold swords, or something. I didn't want to go in because the guy who was behind the counter looked like a real son of a bitch. We went to the Disney Store where they had the hard to find out of print Beauty and the Beast special edition DVD, but I opted not to buy it.
I gave Tony a call and told him we were well on our way.
We drove and drove and drove some more.
We finally got to Blythe, which is four miles from the border of Arizona. Tony is from Arizona and he made all accommodations. Suspicious. Anyway, we got to the motel and met Tony.
Serene went to sleep and all us guys bro'd down. We went to get some food. Those of you who know Abe via the internet probably think that the thing he loves most in life is Rock 'n' Roll. You're wrong. There is one thing that Abe loves more and it's Pizza. He lovingly refers to it as "zza" and talks about it NON STOP. WHICH IS INCREDIBLE. Anyway, needless to say Abe had zza, and Sean joined him. Chris, Tony and I had Del Taco. Del Taco doesn't taste very good.
We went back to the motel room and started chowin' down when some dude, reeking of marijuana cigarettes walks in. yeah. He just walked in. He says "Are you guys here to see the Pixies?". This guy was a big meathead from Texas. He told us about how he had just been drinking and driving all day. His brother is standing a little behind him not saying much. He tells us that their girl friends are asleep in their room, room 519, but that we should all hang out. Anyway, this dude leaves.
I'm not really feeling so hot anymore. So, I try to rest, but ah jeez, here comes 519 again. This time he is with his girlfriend, a cute but insanely drunk girl named Autumn. I can't remember 519's name. Anyway, they come in again, after briefly discussing whether they would watch Le Tigre or Dizzee Rascal (meatheads can surprise you). Abe makes me play them some of my songs, which I was not happy about, man Abe. Eventually they leave again, after a fairly long time, though.
There is this door in the motel room. Tony really wanted to know what was behind it, so he Sean and Abe decide to go around to the other side of the motel to see if there is a window. Chris and I went to the other room to rest. Chris went somewhere that I can't remember and I saw the video for "Roses" which I was super stoked on, but there was no one for me to share my excitement with.
Later everyone wanted to go to the pool. Chris, Serene and Abe went swimming while Tony, Sean and myself maxed and relaxed poolside. After a while I got sick and went into the motel room to get some sleep. Everyone came back eventually and the rest of the night is pretty hazy to me so I will recount it the best I can.

Serene asked me if I wanted painkillers, I was half asleep but I agreed to them anyway. I fell asleep and I guess everyone left. I was woken up a little while later and Serene gave me some pills. In what seemed like a dream I heard eveyone screaming and Sean had an Albert Einstien sweatshirt. Abe was yelling something about Marsupilami and I saw a banner with said character on it. It was a very surreal moment. I was just kinda like "man, what the fuck?" and I went back to sleep.
Later on I woke up and talked to Serene for a little while and she explained to me that all that stuff really happened (due to sweet dollar store finds) and I was kind of bummed that I wasn't just really clever and had thought it up.
I woke up two more times that night. The sirst time I don't know what happened, all I remember is waking up and saying "WHAT THE HELL?" and falling back asleep. The second time I woke up because it was very, very cold. The air conditioning had been on all day and it was freezing. I couldn't figure out how to turn the damn thing off. Luckily Serene woke up shortly after I did and turned it off. Then I went back to sleep.
Friday was a very good day. Probably my favorite, even though I didn't see any bands or anything.
We woke up at 7:30 the next morning, got ready only for Chris to realise he had forgotten his tickets at home. A couple calls were made to see if anything could be done, but there was no luck. Shittly, Chris had to just hope that there would be someone selling tickets to this very sold out event.
We make the hour and a half trip from Blythe to Indio. We get a little lost, but nothing too bad. We park and walk to the polo grounds. On the way there we see a lot of people looking to buy tickets and no one selling, and the people who are selling are asking for a whole lot of money. Things aren't looking good for old Chris.
We get to the gate, and guess what. IT'S NOT SOLD OUT. Man, I wonder how the rumor got started, because it really was not anywhere near being sold out from what I could tell.
We go in and I call Sonny. We meet up with him, Justin and Robin and hang out for a little while. Then we head over to the Coachella stage to get a decent spot for the Sounds, who were the first band of the day I really wanted to see. The Section Quartet was on stage. The Section Quartet is four people on stringed instruments playing assinine contemp-classical covers of Radiohead songs.
it was starting to get really hot.
The Sounds came on and they were awesome, despite the fact that their show is the same every time right down to the singer's banter with the crowd. Man, the Sounds are awesome.
After the Sounds we went to see the Evens, Ian Mckaye's new band. Way to fucking suck it, Ian. What a wussy fucking bullshit band. The highlight of the set was when Flea came out and played the trumpet for about fifteen seconds. The Evens fucking suck.
Chris and I left the set early to go see the Stills. The Stills were pretty damn good, but the best song of the set was, unsurprisingly, their single "the Still in Love Song". After that I was too hot to deal with anything anymore so I just went and rested. We were separated from everyone. Eventually we came across Tony, he and I tried to watch Beck, but couldn't really get close. We hung outside the tent, but it got too crowded for me and it was so hot and I thought I was going to pass out, so I went and layed down again. I got back up a little later in time to catch Beck playing "Lost Cause", which I will assume was the best song of the set.
Met up with Chris again, but lost Tony. Sean met up with us and we went to see a little bit of Heiroglyphics, but again, it was just too hot. I went and layed down yet again while Chris and Sean went to see Death Cab for Cutie. I think at this point I saw Tony again. I hadn't seen Abe and Serene for hours and I was starting to get kind of worried.
There was no time for worrying, however, as the Pixies were about to start. From their opening song, "Bone Machine" to the closer "Into to the White" I was flippin the jippen slippen, cause MAN THE PIXIES. Frank Black is my main man, and I am glad to see that he is going to become a very rich man. This was more than a band playing a set, this was a very important moment in my life that I thought would never, ever happen.
After my mind had been fully blown, Chris and I decided we would try to find Serene and Abe, we were both really worried at this point. If they weren't watching Radiohead they would be easy to find, we assumed. Sean stayed to watch Radiohead and we made a designated meeting spot, which is what we should have done in the first place. Chris and I took turns between searching for our lost crew members and laying at the meeting place, neither of us had any luck finding them. During this time I heard only two Radiohead songs, "There There" and "Creep", WHICH IS PRETTY MUCH A PERFECT RADIOHEAD SET.
After Radiohead was finished Sean and Tony met us at the spot and we went over to the Outdoor stage to partake in some hip hop. On the way there we ran into Abe who seemed like he had an awesome day. Kool Kieth stormed the stage and we all started flipping out. Serene showed up shortly after and she wasn't alone. She was with NICK WHO IS MY FAVORITE GUY. Also, Eliah was there and she is completely awesome, too.
Fully relieved to know everyone was safe we all enjoyed the hell out of Kool Kieth who was insane and constantly yelling about how all his many alter egos were "in the fucking area".
After Kool Kieth, MF Doom and his friend took the stage. They were good, but they were no Kool Kieth. We left a little early and made the trip back to Blythe. We all learned that Serene had to leave the polo fields to get some pain killers and then had to buy another ticket to get back in. Insane. Luckily she was able to catch the Pixies. We got kind of lost and we didn't get back to the motel 'till like 3 or something.
We got up a little late the next morning. This time we made plans. We all kind of had schedules and we had a definite meeting spot. We were set to meet Nick and Eliah for Pretty Girls Make Graves. However they couldn't make it on time, we did meet up with Sonny, Justin and Robin, though. Pretty Girls Make Graves were really good and everyone loved them except Serene.
After that we all went and rested and ate and what not. Abe and I went to see DJ Peretz, who is actually Perry Ferrel of Jane's Addiction. IT WAS AWFULLLLLLL. He walks around and sometimes touches knobs acting like he is doing stuff, while he has an assistant who is running around and clearly working very hard. Every once in a while He would grab the mic and do stupid sounding Perry Ferrel "uh uh uh uh uh"'s into it. After the song was over he congratulated himself with bows and kisses blown to the audience and Abe and I had had enough. Man, he sucks.
After that Abe, Chris and I went to watch Muse. I layed down on the grass and enjoyed the hell out of their set. It was really good, Muse is amazing, especially for only being three guys. A+ for Muse.
After Muse everyone met up at the Killers, and I mean everyone. Myself, Chris, Sean, Tony, Abe, Serene, Nick, Eliah, Sonny, Justin, Robin. Everybody. THE KILLERS WERE TERRIBLE. Biggest disappointment of Coachella. Man, were they ever bad. It was truly remarkable. Their big closing song went something like "Indie rock, it's in the air I breath, it's all around me", and it wasn't a joke. Man, what a shitty band with an incredible single.
Serene and I walked around for a little while looking at Robots and art and shit. We then found Chris and we had some smoothies and listened to a little bit of Air's set. We then went to one of the tents where we met up with Abe and Sean for the Sleepy Jackson.
I had never heard the Sleepy Jackson before, but Abe spoke so highly of them I was ready to give it my most open opportunity. I was impressed, very much so. The Sleepy Jackson IS NUTS. You kind of have to see them to really understand, but man the lead guy is so fucking pissed and crazy looking. They are one of the best bands I have heard in a long time and I loved them 100%. They were one of my very favorite acts at Coachella, and I recommend with all my heart you listen to them.
We all then went to see the Flaming Lips, who's set began late because Wayne Coyne descended from space in a plastic bubble. The Flaming Lips proceeded to play three five minute songs in their forty five minutes set and preach to us about President Bush. Sorry Wayne Coyne of the Flaming Lips, you should take your own dick out of your mouth, buddy.
Then the Cure came on and they played with what was honestly an amazingly remarkable lack of passion. This guy just doesn't care anymore. While the Cure was lackadaisically plodding their way through an almost unrecognizable version of their "hit" song "Fascination Street" our attention turned to a half naked girl who was dancing up a storm.
Abe decided he was going to dance with this lovely lady and just as he was about to get up in there some asshole in Stilts swept in. This guy was doing dumb, flamboyant Cure dances on his stupid Stilts and everyone was paying attention to him like he was the greatest thing ever. Abe, feeling sort of beaten by Stilts moving in on the lady wasn't ready to give up yet. He engaged and proceeded to punk and clown stilts in what has to be the most amazing dance off I have ever seen.
Chris decided he wanted to stay and watch the Cure. Abe flipped off Stilts and then we went to see Ash, who, next to the Pixies, were my favorite band on the bill and were the ones I was most excited to see.
On the way over to where Ash was playing we noticed that on a second stage the Basement Jaxx were playing their classic hit "Where's Your Head At?", so we all literally ran over and started flipping the fuck out. Abe once again danced with some random lady while screaming "WHERE'S YO HEAD AT WHERE'S YO MUTHA FUKKIN HEAD AT HEAD AT".
Also, some where in there we saw a little bit of Danger Mouse who was dressed up like a mouse and playing mash ups. Also, Serene and I saw about a minute of DJ Paul Van Dyk.
We then saw Ash. Ash blew my fucking mind into as many pieces that a mind can be blown into. They opened with a personal favorite of mine, "Girl From Mars" and did not let up throughout their entire set. They played mostly new songs, but that was fine with me. I flipped out maybe the hardest I have ever flipped out. All of us did. Even Tony was playing air guitar the entire time. It was so good man. Ash was my favorite band of the weekend that wasn't the Pixies.
When they had finished we all went and sat at a table and rested up from flipping out so hard. We could hear the Cure playing "Close to Me" and even though it was a cold, passionless version we still got really excited anyway. We all ran as fast as we could and enjoyed a greatest hits portion of the Cure's set.
After that we went to the car. We drove back to Blyth. On the way their traffic came to a complete stand still, but luckily it only lasted about ten minutes.
At the motel we watched popeye and a girls gone wild infomercial, then went to sleep.
We slept in then packed up. We went to breakfast at Denny's, which was the worst Denny's I have ever eaten at."

djbionik
02-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Aw, how sweet, we get to all remember our firsts!

Mine was in 2002. I just REALLY wanted to see Bjork, and only heard that she was playing in California. I didn't even know what Coachella was, but somehow heard of it. I must have blabbed about it to everyone because I got a message on my cell phone while I was at work. It went like this:

"Hey, you don't know me, but your neighbor does, and she said you wanted to see Bjork, and I think I'm going, and I have room in my car.. So yeah, I'm at the store right now, and I wanted to know if you want to come, and if you do, do you want Chicken or Oriental flavored Top Ramen?"

Hahahahah I loved it. I called her right back, and told her to pick me up in the morning. I called in sick to work, scrambled together some cash, said thanks to my neighbor and mutual friend (she gave us a biiig huge nug for the road) and met up with two girls I didn't know and headed to Coachella from Salt Lake City!

We had a blast driving down, and the girl who called me, Katie, is now one of my best friends. We looooved Bjork, and deep jungle drum and bass. We were excited to hear that Kosheen was playing also, but we didn't know who else. Slowly everything came together the closer we got.. radio ads, people in line at the gate, the POSTER.....

... and then I was in heaven. There were so many bands I knew! Stuff I didn't know that other people knew! I remember getting the little program and running to see the first act, my very favorite Poet and Slam idol, Saul Williams, took a picture of me holding Omar's Rodriguez's ass from Mars Volta, chewed him up a little about how he ditched a show in salt lake for getting in a fight with murder city devils. I had a phatty for him and everything. There's good pictures from that day. I saw some friends from salt lake, so random! I remember it was sooo hot! We went in with nothing on us, not expecting it to be so badass.

But badass it was. I danced my ass off to Kosheen, talked to Beck, did some interpretive dance with what is now the DO Lab people in the nest thing, decided to never smoke weed at a festival ever again so as to remember everything perfect, saw a movie about Radiohead, met a beautiful man while dancing to Groove Armada, rocked out with Siouxie and the Banshees, pretty much ran around to see almost all the acts. It was such a good day for music. I was in such bliss. There's this great picture of me in complete euphoric state on the grass holding the program in my hand. I've yet to see another picture of me smiling that way. Everyone was so nice, and cool, and finally, people who can dance!

And then, Bjork. Beautiful, pregnant, dominating Bjork. I was right up front, almost too close to not see. But I saw it all. I fell in love with her, and was forever indebted for the nice guys around me who let me stand on their feet so I could see better, to Katie for calling me, to Goldenvoice for making it happen, and to Coachella for making me become a music journalist and hopefully a producer someday as well.

Coachella has a different vibe at night. There's a lot more people, and it's almost eery how everyone is running on empty.. just on this high that the music gives off. It's kooky. I saw the International Noise Conspiracy, and I remember thinking, 'take note one day this is going to be huge'. But for that day it was ours.

We left that night super late, headed to the beach to spend the night before heading back home. After having ceviche and beers and picking up all the music at some awesome music store in Encinitas, we picked up and went home. Katie and I still talk about how we had perma-smile for months afterwards, and like I said, we got to be great friends.

My only regret is not staying another day and not wearing sunscreen. Back in those days the ticket was $76.00 I think I barely had like $150.00 all together, for gas and whatever. I remember we went to a Pharmacy Ticketmaster the MORNING OF THE SHOW, and us being all "what?! I've never paid more than $30 for a ticket!! This better be good!" I totally laugh at that now. I guess I thought it wouldn't really matter not going the next day. I had just seen the White Stripes in a small club in New York before and was excited to see that they were playing there too. The Strokes were just starting to get big, and all my friends listened to a lot of Belle and Sebastian, I was instructed to get tee-shirts. Also, I am a big fan of Blonde Redhead and really wanted to see them, Dilated Peoples, Zero 7, along with everyone else that was on the bill. I just didn't have enough money. And I had to get back to work. I mentioned the sunscreen thing, which is what got me caught for ditching work.. ha!

Now, I know to save my pennies a whole year in advance, and use my vacation days during that whole week. I've also learned to keep a stocked little backpack for all the day's possibilities (wet wipes, sharpies, mini fan sprayer, band-aides, etc..). I've since gone to Coachella with a new person every year, just so that I can sort of pass it along. So every year is kind of a first.

Thanks GV. It's been great!

MeowMixer
02-11-2009, 10:30 PM
2005. I wanted to go to warped tour. I was given tickets to Coachella instead. Changed my goddamned life.

djbionik
02-12-2009, 05:29 AM
2005. I wanted to go to warped tour. I was given tickets to Coachella instead. Changed my goddamned life.

Ha! I remember being excited for Warped Tour like that. What a contrast, no? Going from Warped to Coachella is like being sexed like a big girl. Like growing up. There's some serious pleasure you didn't even know you'd like so much!

greghead
02-12-2009, 05:47 AM
I had known people who went in 99 and 01, and 02 but I didn't pay much attention to it all, I was into Lower Class Brats and the Business and other bands of similar ilk. But in February 2005, after my musical palette had diversified considerably, a girl in my Islamic history course happened to show me a printed out lineup. Bam! Two months later I was on the polo fields. It was truly love at first sight. I've been hooked since.

DaKINe
02-12-2009, 07:53 AM
I heard the buzz about the first in 99', I waited in 2000 to hear about
the details for the line-up :( Then when 2001 came along got the word that
the Fest was returning...that day all I felt was :D in my soul. And bought tickets that same day and booked my room at the Date Tree.

First impression is everything...and did GV deliver! It felt like a day dream walking on the lush grass, seeing the bad ass set up, and the vibe was just right. I was hooked.

momof5
02-12-2009, 09:10 AM
1999-my oldest daughter(then 23 ) asked me if I was interested in some rock festival in the desert-my last big fest was the original Woodstock when I was 16! but I have been going to shows all my life so I figured I would find a friend and go with the kids! I had a great time and was really impressed with the whole experience-so well run and full of really mellow people. I remember laying on the ground for The Chemical Bros. -completely sober- and thinking I would not be surprised if they called down a spaceship of aliens with their show! It was fantastic and I felt like I was 16 again. I have not missed a Coachella since. We did learn to stay at a really nice hotel with all the luxuries needed to sustain us for the 12 hour days of dancing in the heat-and now its an annual vacation with a day before and a day after to savor the experience.

hawkingvsreeve
02-12-2009, 10:12 AM

Bjork.

That is all.

RickeyinLA
02-12-2009, 10:59 AM
I heard about this music show out in the desert back in 1999, but I was kind of sad that year and I think it was only a couple of months after that Woodstock reunion fiasco (fires! rapes! riots!) so I didn't go. I didn't know anyone else who went either. I don't think I even read a review of it.

I'm not sure why I got a wild hair and decided to drive myself to Indio the day of the 2001 show but Jane's reunion might've had something to do with it. I parked next to some really cool people. Perfect weather. I bought my ticket and walked inside and I was amazed. I made my way over to the Outdoor Stage where St. Germain were playing - Nic H. had been playing them on KCRW so I knew some of their stuff and they were swinging in top form. Perfect sound, perfectly framed date grove trees behind the stage, an enthusiastic crowd jamming at 2 o'clock in the afternoon - it was heaven. Later on Iggy Pop killed it as did Jane's Addiction.

Electronic artists were for the most part off of my radar back then - I don't think I spent more than a couple of browsing minutes at the Sahara that day. My trance baptism didn't occur until the following year's Sahara where Tiesto brought me in Big Time (today I find him full of fromage). Nowadays I spend most of my days there.

Since 2001, I have not missed more than an hour of Coachella total. It gets better every year which hardly seems possible (especially since the night of Saturday April 29, 2006). I wouldn't miss a minute. I would buy tickets to the next ten Coachellas if they sold them right now.

djbionik
02-12-2009, 11:13 AM
1999-my oldest daughter(then 23 ) asked me if I was interested in some rock festival in the desert-my last big fest was the original Woodstock when I was 16! but I have been going to shows all my life so I figured I would find a friend and go with the kids! I had a great time and was really impressed with the whole experience-so well run and full of really mellow people. I remember laying on the ground for The Chemical Bros. -completely sober- and thinking I would not be surprised if they called down a spaceship of aliens with their show! It was fantastic and I felt like I was 16 again. I have not missed a Coachella since. We did learn to stay at a really nice hotel with all the luxuries needed to sustain us for the 12 hour days of dancing in the heat-and now its an annual vacation with a day before and a day after to savor the experience.

Aw, you're the coolest mom ever. I love that there's mish mash of people at Coachella, but we all have this common fondness for music that brings us all there. I get to meet great people like you, and keep faith that every generation has its cool.

oasis4life2002
02-12-2009, 11:28 AM
02 was my 1st year. I was a senior in high school and me and my girlfriend had just broken up. So instead of going to prom I used all the money I had saved 4 it to make the trip to Indio. Room and board weren't a problem cos my grandma lived a few miles away from the polo fields. So here I am in The Polo fields listening to great music. Doesn't hurt that my fav band was headlining Sun. Oasis was fuckin awesome!! As exhausted as I was I fell in love with this festival. Best American Festival Ever

boarderwoozel3
02-12-2009, 12:26 PM
That's one hell of a silver lining to an otherwise crappy situation. Well done oasis.

But yeah, 2007 was my first year. Went for Rage and once I got there everything else changed the way I look at music and quite frankly, life.

sonofhal
02-12-2009, 12:51 PM
2004. All because i couldn't get tickets for the London leg of Pixies. I checked out the rest of the dates, noticed a festival that i'd never heard of, checked out the lineup and the rest is history.

Persuaded 5 friends to come along and we did the whole RV park thing.

I've flown over every year since.

Pixies added more dates in London after i got my Coachella tickets, so i got to see them 4 times that year.

AlecEiffel
02-12-2009, 01:00 PM
2004. All because i couldn't get tickets for the London leg of Pixies. I checked out the rest of the dates, noticed a festival that i'd never heard of, checked out the lineup and the rest is history.

Persuaded 5 friends to come along and we did the whole RV park thing.

I've flown over every year since.

Pixies added more dates in London after i got my Coachella tickets, so i got to see them 4 times that year.

I also initially went to Coachella because I was worried that I'd never be able to see the Pixies otherwise. I'm glad that they didn't announce a full tour before hand because I never would have gone to Coachella if they had.

sbessiso
02-12-2009, 01:03 PM

Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Franz Ferdinand, Scissor Sisters. It was a tough choice between that and Bonnaroo (beck and radiohead!!! but the rest was OK)

Best friend and I were seniors in high school and this was one of the greatest adventures of our lives (up until that point at least). It was only two days and it flew by so quickly. I love Coachella, I got to meet Franz Ferdinand!!

sansucre
02-16-2009, 07:13 AM
PORTISHEAD. That set was unlike anything I have ever seen. I didn't think it was real.

garrett222
02-16-2009, 09:59 AM

, and best of all, Lamb. They were AMAZING in the tent--incredible energy by both the audience and the band, just throbbing with positive energy. .

Is Lamb broken up? I love them.

My first year was 2006. Daft Punk, I was there.

SEEDYMIG420
02-16-2009, 08:10 PM
My first year was in 2001. Went to the show to see Jane's Addiction. Wound up droping some E . That shit was off the hook. Mountain Song on E was fucking crazy. After, I went and tripped out on The Chem. Bros. . Fucking bad ass. Ever since 2001....I just can't stop going to Coachella. See yall niggas there this year.

P.S. Where the white women at???

hellscrape
02-21-2009, 09:24 AM

It was Sunday afternoon, chilling on the grass as Miss Kittin started her set. I ate some shrooms my friend gave me, and went up to dance. It was my first time eating them, and I thought, what the hell, I'm at COACHELLA!

It was magical; walking out into the sunset, hand in hand, and discovering Arcade Fire as the clouds swirled overhead. Once it had faded, I walked up to a gigantic baby getting its limbs and face ripped off by mechanical claws.

the night ended with Nine Inch Nails, the main band fueling my teenage years (Downward Spiral especially). Everything felt perfect and whole.

This is going to be my third year. WOOHOO!

ivankay
02-21-2009, 12:01 PM
In 1999 i saw an ad in a paper for Coachella. i was stoked immediately. For years i had been reading about the festivals in Europe and now something like that was going to happen only a couple of hours away. The woman i was with at the time and i got tickets and rented a room at the scuzziest of motels (the kind a trucker brings a hooker to for a night of lovin').

First day we tried to get there early enough to catch my friend Jeff spinning. Unfortunately we didn't anticipate the huge line to get in and only got to talk to him as he was packing up. i was sad to miss Bis and am still wondering if they did the Powerpuff Girls theme song. i went to get a little of u-Ziq because i was into "Carpet Muncher" at the time (still love it). One of the best memories i have from that day is hanging out at the much smaller outdoor stage for Art of Noise. i never thought i would see them in my life and there they were. It's weird now to reflect on how small the crowd was and how many of the faces were familiar. Art of Noise was excellent. This was my first time seeing Morrissey and Beck. my expectation for Morrissey was the typical biased "i'd rather see the Smiths"...that was retarded. He was great. Beck did the Midnight Vultures show for the closer and it was a great way to cap off the first day of one of the greatest things ever.

2nd day we rolled in late because we were lazy and wanted to let the line chill out. Line was still fucked. First thing we went for was Cibo Matto. They were good, but i was expecting a little more sound wise (small band on the main stage syndrome). That was pretty much it for my main stage exposure. i checked out Rage for a few songs, but at the time wasn't too impressed (that would change). Caught a lille of Gus Gus. The things that i take with me from that night are Moby and The Invisible Scratch Piklz unannounced performance. i forget if it was during Mixmaster Mike or Q-Bert's set, but it was the first time i walked up to a tent that was overflowing. Very exciting to see them bust out "Tom Sawyer". Moby was as excellent as always. Like the night before at Art of Noise, the crowd was a bunch of familiar faces. A highlight was when Moby asked for every light possible to be turned off so we could soak in the stars. Beautiful.

Been to every day, every year since.

heyeric
02-21-2009, 08:09 PM

Well said, haha.

replacethestars
02-23-2009, 07:38 PM
This is to commemorate your first year. Share your story. The day you fell in love with the festival. Or just that one time you got so fucked up that it was suddenly Monday and you were home.

Last year was my first year.
I'd always wanted to go, but I was too young, or too broke, or couldn't find a ride or something would come in between coachella and me.
But last year, I was sick of waiting. I bought the ticket, and forced the one friend I seem to go to every concert with to come and camp with me.
We were both new, scared, and SO Excited.
Thursday night camping I started to understand what people had talked about. Ria and I struggled to carry our stuff(plenty of bags between two girls with zero camping experience), and about ten feet past security, a very tall guy swooped down by me and took the cooler I had been dragging behind me. My first thought was "OH GOD HE'S STEALING OUR FOOD!" And then I realized he wasn't stealing it, he just wanted to help. He made small talk while he carried our heavier bags to our campsite, wished us a wonderful first Coachella, and vanished.
Then Friday at around noon, I walked into the festival for the first time.
Ria and I both didn't say anything for a while, we just looked around and tried to take it all in. Then Ria stopped and said "Is it just me, or does it feel like we're coming home? Like we fit here?"
...I couldn't have said it better myself. It was everything I thought it would be.
Monday was surreal. I drove all the way home and I still didn't feel like I was home.
I can't wait for this year.

Harrisment
02-23-2009, 08:39 PM
2008 was my first year. The minute I stepped on the Polo fields I knew that I was about to be a part of something really special. That day my wife and I vowed that we would travel from Houston every year as long as Coachella was around. Portishead was fucking life changing.

AbundantChoice
02-23-2009, 08:54 PM
2002 was my first year. The first act I saw was Kosheen, and they absolutely blew my mind. I remember thinking the polo fields were so gorgeous (I was used to parking lot and abandoned airfield techno massives at that point) and basically falling in love with Coachella on the spot. Beta Band, Jurassic 5, Chemical Brothers, crazy giant robots in the middle, the Mutatyor folks and that crazy Earth Harp thing, I think I knew right away i'd be coming back every year (and I have!)

The second day was equally awesome, especially because the first band we saw that day was the **** Pong Bitches... which was... you had to be there. Ozomatli's horn section jumping into the crowd to keep playing after their set, Prodigy annihilating the main stage, taking extra time to check out all the art, just a fantastic time all around.

darkjustice
02-24-2009, 02:05 AM
no.

danteb
02-24-2009, 08:45 AM
my first year was in 07, I had wanted to go ever since 2004 but i was only 14 years old then and so my parents wouldnt let me go til i was 17. Originally i was only going for rage on sunday, but at the last minute i decided to splurge and spend money for the three day pass (best decision of my life). The first day i got there we didnt arrive until around 4pm which was much later than i wanted to get there but oh well. I was kinda out of it and had a killer headache and the friends I was going to be chillin with werent there yet. So I roamed around a lil bit taking it all in and saw silversun pickups at the main stage. they were only ok. at this point i hadn't started to appreciate the magic of coachella. once my friends arrived after arctic monkeys we started to blaze and the sun went down, at that moment i realized i was in heaven. Coachella is a nighttime wonderland filled with great music, great people and great drugs. I found so many new bands that are responsible for shaping and expanding my musical tastes to this day.
saturday was amazing too, arcade fire blew me away, i was right down front and enjoying every minute. To end the night we all watched tiesto on the main stage amidst a sea of shirtless sweaty gay dudes. Finally on sunday my precious rage was playing. They have been my all time favorite band since my dad took me to see them when i was 9 years old (cool dad huh?). I saw their second to last show in Los Angeles and I couldnt believe I was gonna see there first one back. After willie nelson I camped out with a buddy at the main stage to wait. After sitting through a boring crowded house and being pleasantly surprised by manu chao, Rage went on and i flipped out with excitement. To this day it was probably the greatest experience I have ever had at a show. I went back for all three days in 08 - highlights were kraftwerk-portishead-prince on the main stage (probably the greatest 1-2-3 i have ever witnessed at one time) and roger waters on sunday finishing the weekend in the tent with justice. Two of the most memorable weekends of my life and 09 looks like it is promising to be another one, CAN'T FUCKING WAIT.

elChurro
02-24-2009, 09:41 AM
99, large open spaces of green grass, hot cheese fries, dj's dj's dj's... ending the night standing above the mainstage looking down at Morrissey as he belt out songs to a crowd of greasers.

Benny
02-24-2009, 02:35 PM
2003 was my first year. We were in the Virgin music store the week before, my wife, a mate, and myself, just looking around and there was a display of CD's of all the bands that were playing. Id' only been in the country from England a couple of years and had never heard of Coachella. My mate came over to me and told me he was going. I called hium a lucky bastard and kept looking at the bands playing. Blur were playing. I called him an even luckier bastard as they've been my favourite band for as long as I could remember. So we left and did something incredibly fun probably and then went home.

That night he called me and told me he had a birthday present for me. The person he was going with had cancelled and would I like the tickets? Bloody right I would!

It was a fantastic, magnificent, amazing weekend with so many good bands. And when Blur played Girls & Boys I could have happily died there and then.

I've been to everyone since then except last year and found tremendous bands every year I've been, the last being Of Montreal. Seeing Jarvis Cocker at the last one was pretty special as well. It was like being 23 again!

jdaws
02-27-2009, 08:03 AM
uhg im bored but i ll try to keep this short.. 08 was my first year. took a bus from san diego, shared a taxi with some mexicans, and arrived @ the fest around 9 or so. didn't think we would be able to get the tent up but somehow managed. sat down in front of the little camping stage and listened to some zeppelin. brought out the nilla wafers to snack on and exchange and mostly to represent goodwill. wonder to one other "drugs?". some guy walks by us and says "we are so lucky to be in such a beautiful place". i ask him why. he explains. we ask about molly. he says be motivated, ask around, use your senses. good luck tho cuz molly is tough to find. we're a little dismayed.

some girl is walking and talking behind us. "i'm going to ask these guys". we are those guys. "you want any e?" we get hooked up, not only with e but with weed and xannies as well. have ourselves a dealer for the weekend. yes. we chill in our tent, smoke weed, hang out with strung-out dealer. i take cell phone pictures of the stash we are so proud of.

wake up early the next day to blazing heat and light. walk around the campsite a bit. take showers and whatnot. hang out a little with our neighbors. they seem nice and cool but we don't end up hanging out with them that much. pack backpacks for a full day in heaven. put pills and weed into cellophane wrapping. roll it up into my boxers. get in line. nervous but so damned excited. check out the shops. got sunglasses. walk further into heaven. have to run back, forgot my water bottle. check out the main merch tent. hmmmmm.

hang out under the big rig jig. the doLab! go see battles. are surprised how easy it is to get to the front row. unfamiliar with them, but end up loving the energy of the performance. officially amped for the next 3 days. walk around some more, do lab(!), main stage (meh).. dinnertime. burger burritos! drop my first roll EVAR. want to relax for mum, but friend wants to go sahara. fine. immediately achieve front row for sandra collins. my breathing feels a little weird. is it the e? no, just not used to so much bass in my throat. that's what she said. m.i.a. comes out during diplo's set. we go crazy. drop another roll. starting to feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel the music.

omgomgomgomg aphex twin is next omgomgomg. he walks casually into his cage. welcome to the thunderdome. is this music tho? not sure, just gonna close my eyes and shake my head back and forth. my friend keeps telling me to look. i've never felt this MUCH before. the nighttime saharan wind refreshes our souls. ecstacy. drop the final roll. dancing farm animals. his little girl! running around, look how happy she is! then its over. "good enough for you?" its a rhetorical question tho, marked by a smirk and a thumbs up. mind fucked. walk over just in time to catch aesop rock close with daylight. perfect

sit down next to pretty lights. try to figure out what just happened. we talk, can't remember what about. fatboy slim is coming up next. still manage to get a decent spot. willy wonka!!?? it was worth the wait. tectonic shifts separate my friend and i. :(. try to get to him, blocked by a stiff mexican armbar. still rolling tho, still dancing. someone next to me is trying to dance with me. never look at her face, but feel her body and its too big. try to dance away. kinda unsuccessful. feel like an asshole. fatboy slims life is unfolding before my eyes. hear lyrics as "fatboy slim is fucking competitive", think its like a message to music fans. walk out of the crowd. view it from the back. sit down for awhlle, trying to gather myself. not freaking out, handling the new drug, but wishing my friend was around. start wandering. take pictures of pretty lights. get really disoriented. trying to find the entrance to the camping site. walk up to different gates that look like exits and get questioned by security guards. finally get back to the tent. friend gets back 30 minutes later. and its kindof awkward. snort some xanax and try to go to sleep.

lol its harder to keep this short than i thought. anyways thats just day 1 i want to go back and read thru others experiences and maybe add day2 day3

AlecEiffel
02-27-2009, 08:28 AM
It makes me sad that your experience seemed to be far more about doing drugs than enjoying music.

Jef-free
02-27-2009, 08:46 AM
that's what she said.

I love you for that.

jdaws
02-27-2009, 04:08 PM
yeah lol i just reread that and definitely focused on the drugs. but thats what really made coachella exciting for me, especially doing e for the first time. totally different way to experience music. another thing is that its much harder to accurately convey my "inner" experience and i was really just running thru main events of my experience - we went here, then did this kind of run-thru. and also i have to say that because of the friend that i went with my experience was very focused on drugs. and we didnt really hang out with anyone else. but you're right. before going through my next 2 days i m going to give more of the good stuff about the first day

Spongehead56
02-27-2009, 04:37 PM
yeah lol i just reread that and definitely focused on the drugs. but thats what really made coachella exciting for me, especially doing e for the first time. totally different way to experience music. another thing is that its much harder to accurately convey my "inner" experience and i was really just running thru main events of my experience - we went here, then did this kind of run-thru. and also i have to say that because of the friend that i went with my experience was very focused on drugs. and we didnt really hang out with anyone else. but you're right. before going through my next 2 days i m going to give more of the good stuff about the first day

I really enjoyed your recount of day 1. Last year was my first year too and was really special. Can't wait for days 2&3.

Zippy024
03-02-2009, 01:41 PM
I went to Saturday in '06 and really had a great time. I saw Common, Kanye West, Eagles of Death Metal, Depeche Mode and Daft Punk. I've been wanting to go to Coachella for a few years but I was afraid the heat and the crowds would kill me. I was surprised to find that it wasn't as bad as I thought.
I went in '07 and camped out for all three days. I regret not bringing a sun shade because it was really hot that year and I got dehydrated and sick each day and would only feel better by late afternoon when the sun went down. Shade was a big commodity everywhere you went. Camping was not so bad except for the heat. The show itself was really great that year. Friday was my favorite day, Peeping Tom, Interpol, Bjork.
I went on Saturday in '08. Mainly to see Prince and Cold War Kids.
I'm going to camp this year and I'm bringing my sunshade.

algunz
03-02-2009, 02:35 PM

THEY RAN OUT OF FUCKING WATER

Ugh, I was so perturbed, but I went with the fear of a Woodstock 99 repeat and realized if this is the worst I'll survive.

From the moment I stepped on to the dusty path toward the polo fields, I could tell that this was going to be something special.

C DUB YA
03-03-2009, 07:38 AM

I stepped onto the filed to the opening guitar tuning of SFA and have never looked back.

The Landmo
03-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Last year was my first and I believe I fell in love on Friday about five minutes after I entered the Polo Fields and had my first run in with the police.

We had just had our tickets checked and entered the Polo Grounds. I was excited, and not to say just a slight bit inebriated, I had consumed a copious amount of Abbie Hoffman's gift, and been drinking since breakfast. In my excitement, I pulled a little somersault/flip and sent my digital camera flying against a fence. I picked up the camera, turned it on, and to my dismay the casing around lens had been pinched shut and the lens was not opening. I needed to pry the casing up, but had no tools.

I normally carry a little pocket knife, but obviously I wasn't going to bring a knife to a concert, and i quickly thought that I would not be able to take any pictures that day, and Fatboy Slim was one of my top acts to see of the weekend. Granted, not being able to take pictures is not a very big deal, and I would have had a grand time had I not fixed my camera. At the time however, this was devastating, but then I looked up, and saw the police...

A group of them, 4, about fifty yards away, if anyone had a knife at Coachella, it was these guys. Without thinking, I sprinted towards them.

I am sure I was a sight to behold. I was wearing a cut off t-shirt, and a yellow novelty car hat, complete with little wheels, that i decorated with some extra pizzaz. This pizzaz, included the words 'LSD IS MY CO-PILOT" plastered in huge sharpie right across my forehead, and this was no false advertising. I was under 21 and reeked of booze, my pupils were huge but luckily I was wearing my shades, and I was advertising my drug use, not smart to be running up to a group of cops.

I approached the nearest one to me and introduced my sweaty, messy self to him, he looked at me and smirked, it was then that I realized my error. I got a little nervous and began to stammer and stumble about how my camera was broken, and I needed a knife to fix it. He looked at my camera, smiled at me, flicked out his utili-tool and quickly pried up the malformed metal- thus returning my camera to working condition. I was pumped.

I immediately asked him if he wouldn't mind taking a picture with me, and he obliged. As returned to my group he left me with a smile and these parting words-

"Be safe, and trust your co-pilot"

Coachella, I love you.

C DUB YA
03-04-2009, 09:35 AM
sad your experience is all about being shitfaced and high.

RedThom
03-04-2009, 09:55 AM
its too bad that "Art of Coachella" video got taken down from Youtube. that was simply the best way to commemorate coachellas that have past.

trancehiphop
03-04-2009, 02:38 PM
sad your experience is all about being shitfaced and high.

I wouldn't say that, because by briefly reading his post, it seems that he had a blast. Sad in your eyes, yes. In his/hers NO. I personally LOVE listening to music NONSTOP! I just REALLY like listening and watching LIVE music, I unforunately can not provide this thread with any stories, but I am having an AWESOME time reading all of your experiences while drinking some cabernet! YEAAAAAAAAAAAAa

heyeric
03-19-2009, 10:42 AM
its too bad that "Art of Coachella" video got taken down from Youtube. that was simply the best way to commemorate coachellas that have past.

the original right? they have the 2nd edition up on youtube.
if it even matters...haha
U7SIbGZaaO0

johnnypolite
03-20-2009, 11:54 PM
Ok I'm back from Mstrkrft and they were badass and I'm really looking forward to Coachella so here we go.

My first year was 2004. Not a bad year to start going to Coachella. My friend and I went for Radiohead, Muse, & The Flaming Lips. It was our first vacation without our families. We were 20 years old and had no idea what we were getting ourselves into.

I was dumb enough to pack only jeans. Yep. If you went to Coachella 2004 you know just how stupid that was of me. Haha. I passed out during Air and woke up during Belle & Sebastian....or maybe it was the other way around.

We flew from Dallas to LAX and took a cab from the airport to the Greyhound station and then rode to the Indio greyhound station and then shared a cab with new friends to the campgrounds. Building our tent was fun because we have never been camping before and it was 2 in the morning and we didn't have a flashlight. We were really unprepared but fuck it. We were one day away from seeing fucking Radiohead.

The first band I ever saw at Coachella was Erase Errata and they were pretty lame. Then Stellastarr who kicked ass. And then Junior Senior who were also fucking badass. Holy shit is that the dude from the B-52s? Super fun.

We kinda bounced around and checked everything out. We watched ten seconds of Death Cab For Cutie. Neither of us had ever heard of them but the lead singer was bitching about his sunscreen getting into his eyes and we thought that we was a major pussy so we left. Watched Pixies and got a good spot for Radiohead. Yeah.

Radiohead was awesome and it was during their set that I knew that Coachella was a pretty fucking special place. My favorite song from that set was "You & Whose Army". Wish they'd come back.

Sunday was kinda a blur because it was really fucking hot and we were the only dumbasses wearing jeans. Thankfully we didn't pass out before Muse played. Some idiots started a mosh-pit. A girl had a sign that said "I'm a big Muse fan too."

Heh.

"Bliss" was the best song from that set. We went to the Sahara because there was a lot of room in the back for us to lie down and get some fucking shade. I think Adam Freeland was playing. I dunno. When the sun went down, we got our energy back, saw the Sleepy Jackson, and then got a good spot for the Flaming Lips. Everyone around us was booing them the entire time and screaming for Robert Smith's nuts. We were a little irritated, but Wayne kept fucking around. Still entertaining. We skipped the Cure for Ash. They were pretty good.

The greyhound station the next Monday was stupid packed. And they only had one bus so everyone was freaking out. Bus driver included. I don't know how we managed to get on that bus but I felt bad for everyone who probably missed their flight because the Indio Greyhound station was so unprepared.

We didn't shower the entire time and returned to Dallas smelling like Satan's cunt. Haha.

Looking back, I can't believe how many great bands we missed. Every year since then, we drink tons of water and wear shorts. But 2004 was our cherry popper and I'll always look back at that time with fond memories.

Harrisment
03-21-2009, 09:00 AM
"Be safe, and trust your co-pilot"

Coachella, I love you.

This was fucking awesome.