PDA

View Full Version : road trip albums

unitedwestand
04-18-2008, 11:28 AM
what r some perfect albums to bring on a road trip?
I'm going to have to say one of my favorites is RHCP-Californication, simply because most of the songs on it deff have a road trip type vibe (AKA Roadtrippin)
and any Mike Doughty/Soul Coughing Albums
what do you guys think?

Blinken
04-18-2008, 11:39 AM
Califronication is good, because of roadtripping and will you psyched for California. Personally i think you should pick some Coachella artists since the road trip is to Coachella. MGMT's album, the new Racontours, Murs 3:16, and so many more.

menikmati
04-18-2008, 11:41 AM
here is my list of CD's I've burned so far for the road trip:

Coachella 2008 Mix
I Wish Was Playing Coachella 2008 Mix
Aphex Twin Analogue Bubblebath Vol. 5
Roger Waters DSOTM Live (pristine Soundboard recording)

unitedwestand
04-18-2008, 11:43 AM
sweet, and of course the dark side of the moon by pink floyd is essential for any road trip
I was thinking of listing albums for road trips besides Coachella, but since this is coachella, coachella weekend road trip 2008 is deff included!

miscorrections
04-18-2008, 11:48 AM
I will probably make a couple Coachella mixes and then lots of horrible stuff that I can yodel along to as I drive. I'm thinking maybe Spice Girls and Britney Spears, and no, that's not a joke.

suprefan
04-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Queens of The Stone Age - Songs for The Deaf

what better way to go to the desert than to listen to an album about a guy driving through the desert listening to different radio stations.

mob roulette
04-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Sea Change. Depending on how far you're driving from.

Blinken
04-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Queens of The Stone Age - Songs for The Deaf

what better way to go to the desert than to listen to an album about a guy driving through the desert listening to different radio stations.

So thats what it is, i always enjoyed that aspect of the CD.

mob roulette
04-18-2008, 12:18 PM
That's a good record, but I've always found Doolittle nice for driving in California too. Just throwing stuff out here.

eNVyartist
04-18-2008, 12:24 PM
I have created my coachella 08 playlist for my ipod. It's got several songs from the acts I want to catch. I also have to say there is a shit ton of stuff that i like to sing to but I don't want to annoy my partner-in-coachella-crime.

braundiggity
04-18-2008, 12:25 PM
road trips to coachella, or road trips in general? at night or during the day? alone or with friends?

so many key elements! Honestly, I'll throw on Third Eye Blind's self-titled debut all the time. MMJ - Z and LCD Soundsystem's Sound of Silver are great also. DSOTM works well at night. I also love listening to Beck's Sea Change at night. Perfect night road trip music.

For this Coachella, though, definitely Z, and either Sign o the Times or a greatest hits Prince mix. That's as good as it gets.

braundiggity
04-18-2008, 12:25 PM

YES.

"Put your hands on the wheel /
Let the golden age begin..."

miscorrections
04-18-2008, 12:27 PM
For long drives in general I find that I can't listen to instrumental things or anything super mellow or I'll fall asleep. Anything that makes me want to dance, sing, or stay awake in general is a good road trip choice.

amyzzz
04-18-2008, 12:31 PM
For long drives in general I find that I can't listen to instrumental things or anything super mellow or I'll fall asleep. Anything that makes me want to dance, sing, or stay awake in general is a good road trip choice.
QFT
I usually try to keep music on I can sing to.

clumsy342
04-18-2008, 12:31 PM
The Black Keys - The Big Come Up
Eagles of Death Metal - Peace, Love, Death Metal
'Death Proof' Soundtrack
Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
The Octopus Project - Hello, Avalanche
The Thermals - The Body, The Blood, The Machine

I also LOVE Soul Coughing and Doughty's 'Skittish'.

CuervoPH
04-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Old 97s - Wreck Your Life

Good for driving and singing along on a road trip.

captncrzy
04-18-2008, 12:35 PM
The last road trip I took with my sister, we brought Slippery When Wet and sang the entire thing from beginning to end. I always have Operation: Mindecrime with me in the car when I'm going on a long trip-that CD is only worth listening to if you're gonna listen to it from beginning to end.

flowbee
04-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Meatloaf - Bat Out of Hell

I've listened to this on many a road trip and it never disappoints.

mob roulette
04-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street

Also great for hauling ass out on the open road. Like it's really really good for that, esp if you blast it, windows down, etc.

dontfeedthebird
04-18-2008, 12:44 PM
"It's Tricky" - RUN DMC
"Touch My Body" - Mariah Carey
"Sexy Can I" - Ray J
"Controversy" - Prince

humanoid
04-18-2008, 12:46 PM
I always enjoy Neil Young & the Grateful Dead on trips....and whenever my brother & I are in a place of overwhelming natural beauty, we always put on the Last of the Mohicans soundtrack

The Prodigy-Fat of the Land is a favorite driving CD, but it always makes me drive way too fast......same with Pretty Hate Machine & Downward Spiral

Appetite for Destruction is always great too

miscorrections
04-18-2008, 12:49 PM
"Sexy Can I" - Ray J

The first time I heard this song I thought he said "Sexy Grandma", not "Sexy, can I".

humanoid
04-18-2008, 12:51 PM
The first time I heard this song I thought he said "Sexy Grandma", not "Sexy, can I".

it would soooooooo much better if he was singing about a sexy grandma!

york707
04-18-2008, 01:46 PM
Modest Mouse - "This Is A Long Drive For Someone With Nothing To Think About"
Modest Mouse - "Lonesome Crowded West"
Built to Spill - "Keep It Like A Secret"
Old 97s - "Too Far To Care"
Def Leppard - "High 'n' Dry"

Generally, anything you know all the words to.

canexplain
04-18-2008, 02:00 PM
i used to judge my long road trips by how much my Throat hurt from singing along for so long and loud ..... x****

betao
04-18-2008, 02:15 PM
kasabian - empire
radioihead - amnesiac
NIN - with teeth
future sound of london - teachings from the electronic brain
the flaming lips - yoshimi battles the pink robots
massive attack - mezzanine
mogwai - happy songs for happy people
sigur ros - Ágætis byrjun
mos def - black on both sides
the orb - bicycles and tricycles
primal scream - vanishing point
portishead - live at the roseland

if you're driving at night, these are my pics

tycho - past is prologue
aphex twin - selected ambient works vol 1
boards of canada - (anything pre-campfire headphase)
m83 - any album will do
sigur ros - ( )
radiohead - kid A
massive attack - 100th window

those would be in my CD player during a road trip.

samiksha
04-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Modest Mouse - "This Is A Long Drive For Someone With Nothing To Think About"
Modest Mouse - "Lonesome Crowded West"
Built to Spill - "Keep It Like A Secret"
Old 97s - "Too Far To Care"
Def Leppard - "High 'n' Dry"

yes yes yes. yes.

Generally, anything you know all the words to.

or things you want to learn the words to! when i'm taking a road trip by myself, i'll sing along and repeat the tracks until i've got all the words down.

that really is something you can only do when you're by yourself though.

and you have to be careful with what you choose because it can tend to ruin the songs for you for a little while.

whynotsmile99
04-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Dr. Dre Chronic 2001 of course.

I know every verse

amyzzz
04-18-2008, 02:55 PM
I've used Radiohead's In Rainbows a lot for recent car trips, and I will probably bring my CD's that have a bunch of Beatles albums on them (Abbey Road, Sgt Pepper, White album, Magical Mystery Tour, etc). Lately, I only take out that Beatles CD to put in Coachella stuff, like today I put Goldfrapp in.

downingthief
04-18-2008, 03:09 PM

Really? I love that album, but I don't think I could drive on a long road trip listening to it. Numbs me out, too much.

downingthief
04-18-2008, 03:10 PM
i used to judge my long road trips by how much my Throat hurt from singing along for so long and loud ..... x****

So true, Ron. I do the same thing.

NiceArthur32
04-18-2008, 03:12 PM
you can pretty much go through ALL of jack johnsons CD's and not skip a track...

so JJ is awesome roadtrip music...

Blinken
04-18-2008, 03:12 PM
I will usually throw on any Eminem album, always fun to sing along with.

i_like_cake530
04-18-2008, 09:24 PM
The correct answer is Abbey Road. Thanks for playing.

captncrzy
04-18-2008, 09:33 PM
I will usually throw on any Eminem album, always fun to sing along with.

The last time I drove up to Lake Havasu, my friend's boyfriend sat in the backseat while we played Eminem; he made up his own words to the songs the whole way up(usually revolving around the word "wigger"). Funnest road trip ever.

traviscanada
04-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Dire Straits greatest hits.

rage patton
04-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros - Streetcore

JSam67
04-19-2008, 02:04 AM
Last year on my Coachella road trip, the albums/moments that really stand out still in my memory are:

Grateful Dead - American Beauty (sunrise in New Mexico; also mid-afternoon on the desert drive post-Coachella from San Bernardino to Vegas)
RHCP - Californication (immediately after entering California)
Flaming Lips - Yoshimi... (on the ride home, in western Colorado)

This year, I think I'll be surely adding these to my rotation:

The Raconteurs - Consolers of the Lonely
MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
Band of Horses - Cease to Begin
LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
Portishead - Dummy
Radiohead - In Rainbows, Kid A, OK Computer

Stefinitely Maybe
04-19-2008, 06:19 AM
The Bends

roberto73
04-19-2008, 06:25 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/insomniacmonty/roadtrip.jpg

sbessiso
04-19-2008, 07:34 AM

fuck you! you beat me to it!

Astrid
04-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Daft Punk- Alive

Kid A has always always been the its 4 in the morning, and were all cracked out as fuck, but have to get home somehow, album. it works wonders.

betao
04-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Oh indeed. For maximum listening pleasure, listen to Kid A when its past midnight and the streets aren't as crowded as normal.

nationocean
04-19-2008, 07:09 PM
yeah i just make 4-5 mix CD's of all the coachella artists music. best way to get pumped up as you are driving to the show. already burned the cd's last week. WOOT!

PrettyRagdoll
04-19-2008, 07:22 PM
I listened to the Brazillian Girls for 80% of the drive from LA to Coachella, last year

orbit
04-19-2008, 07:22 PM
Most of the time I go through all of Wilco albums.

bballarl
04-19-2008, 08:10 PM
I like to make mixes for trips from LA to the Bay Area. I will usually listen to a mix one or two times per drive and then go to my iPod. I am making a special mix for Coachella, featuring very few Coachella artists.

Dustinanson
04-21-2008, 02:02 PM
Weezer is essential road trip material, especially the Blue Album. Opening a trip with My Name is Jonas blaring out your speakers, windows down on the freeway on a hot summer's day always sets the tone for a good trip.......