PDA

View Full Version : PRINCE LIVE: 4/9 REVIEW GET READY!!

scoop49er
04-16-2008, 01:51 PM
Prince Funks Up L.A. at Uber-Exclusive Concert.

Shortly before 12:30, Prince & his band, Josh & C.C. Dunham and Morris Hayes kicked off the jazz set with “Chameleon” by Herbie Hancock. Next follows “Stratus” by Billy Cobham. It was a slowed down version and the way it was played left the crowd stunned. Prince then launched into “A Case Of You” by Joni Mitchell, a funky keyboard instumental. That followed with “What Is Hip?” by Tower of Power.

So much for a jazz show as “Everyday People” along with other Sly & The Family Stone songs including “Sing A Simple Song” into “Thank You…”were played with vocals. Prince then went into “All The Critics Love U In L.A.” which was very heavy on guitar, and then went into “Satisfied”/”Cock-Eyed Woman”. Prince took the crowd back as he ripped into “Controversy”. His female vocalist Shelby J. sang “Baby Love” while in the crowd and then sang “Angel” by Sarah Mclachlan. That’s a surprise!

Prince then continued the funk-filled onslaught with one of the funkiest versions of “Alphabet St.” with full vocals. The master of events then went into “Cream”, which was quite the crowd pleaser. That followed by “U Got The Look” and then a guitar-driven “Honky Tonk Woman” with Shelby J. again leading on vocals.

He followed that with “1999″ as the energy in the place took off yet even higher. Prince then just started throwing out songs while the band jammed; “Le Freak” by Chic, a tease of “Foxy Lady” by Jimi Hendrix, then which lead into “Peach”! Prince was getting everyone to jump up and down on this one, including himself. Prince then pulled out the classic “Purple Rain” on the keys with the band backing him. Then he switched to guitar. Unbelievable. The crowd was left speechless and could only raise their hands n bob their heads.

What a night. As the stars try to leave outside shortly after 2:30 A.M. , the paparazzi attack. Stars who attended the concert were Adrian Grenier, Bill Mahr, Melanie Griffith, Tara Reid and others of young hollywood. What a night in the city of angels. Thanks to one of Dr. Funkenberry’s patients for helping out.-Dr.FB

suprefan
04-16-2008, 01:54 PM
Oh yeah, he is so doing Purple Rain at Coachella.

stuporfly
04-16-2008, 05:47 PM
How is it that this...

Adrian Grenier, Bill Mahr, Melanie Griffith, Tara Reid

...represents an "Uber-Exclusive" crowd? (Not that I don't like Bill Maher, but he'd show up at the opening of an envelope if there was a chance at seeing some huge fake boobs)

I find it curious that Prince is tackling so many covers. I wonder if he'll do a similar set at Coachella or stick to his own back catalogue of frankly amazing material. Either way, I bet he's amazing.

summerkid
04-16-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm sure he'll drop a cover or two and a medley.

Blinken
04-16-2008, 05:52 PM
maybe covers of other Coachella artists. . .

summerkid
04-16-2008, 05:55 PM
i vote for a cover of comfortably numb!

damon8
04-16-2008, 07:12 PM
dam what an amazing set!!

gmoneyak
04-16-2008, 07:38 PM
Prince Funks Up L.A. at Uber-Exclusive Concert.

Shortly before 12:30, Prince & his band, Josh & C.C. Dunham and Morris Hayes kicked off the jazz set with “Chameleon” by Herbie Hancock. Next follows “Stratus” by Billy Cobham. It was a slowed down version and the way it was played left the crowd stunned. Prince then launched into “A Case Of You” by Joni Mitchell, a funky keyboard instumental. That followed with “What Is Hip?” by Tower of Power.

So much for a jazz show as “Everyday People” along with other Sly & The Family Stone songs including “Sing A Simple Song” into “Thank You…”were played with vocals. Prince then went into “All The Critics Love U In L.A.” which was very heavy on guitar, and then went into “Satisfied”/”Cock-Eyed Woman”. Prince took the crowd back as he ripped into “Controversy”. His female vocalist Shelby J. sang “Baby Love” while in the crowd and then sang “Angel” by Sarah Mclachlan. That’s a surprise!

Prince then continued the funk-filled onslaught with one of the funkiest versions of “Alphabet St.” with full vocals. The master of events then went into “Cream”, which was quite the crowd pleaser. That followed by “U Got The Look” and then a guitar-driven “Honky Tonk Woman” with Shelby J. again leading on vocals.

He followed that with “1999″ as the energy in the place took off yet even higher. Prince then just started throwing out songs while the band jammed; “Le Freak” by Chic, a tease of “Foxy Lady” by Jimi Hendrix, then which lead into “Peach”! Prince was getting everyone to jump up and down on this one, including himself. Prince then pulled out the classic “Purple Rain” on the keys with the band backing him. Then he switched to guitar. Unbelievable. The crowd was left speechless and could only raise their hands n bob their heads.

What a night. As the stars try to leave outside shortly after 2:30 A.M. , the paparazzi attack. Stars who attended the concert were Adrian Grenier, Bill Mahr, Melanie Griffith, Tara Reid and others of young hollywood. What a night in the city of angels. Thanks to one of Dr. Funkenberry’s patients for helping out.-Dr.FB

That sounds like a pretty fuckin' cool show, I'm definitely getting more stoked.

chiapet
04-16-2008, 08:17 PM
This is going to be incredible. I'm glad to hear he's playing older stuff, I don't even care if we get HITS as long as we get stuff from his early-mid 80s catalogue plus Purple Rain.

zenidogx
04-16-2008, 08:21 PM
if prince were to do Pink Floyd, he'd do Young Lust.

C DUB YA
04-16-2008, 09:41 PM
He'll cover the Foos and The Verve

C DUB YA
04-16-2008, 09:42 PM
This is going to be incredible. I'm glad to hear he's playing older stuff, I don't even care if we get HITS as long as we get stuff from his early-mid 80s catalogue plus Purple Rain.

just hope he doesn't do his tendency of shortening that stuff into lame melodies. He's done this at few shows I've gone to.