PDA

View Full Version : tourist-info me~

jamiejames
02-01-2007, 08:04 AM
I'm coming down from Canada, my first time into the states (other than a short trip to Oregon, where a woman got her shotgun out at us), and i figure if I'm going all that way, i have to check out the region too. I've never had any urge to visit California, so i really don't have any idea what they have to offer, what's close, or what's interesting. i don't drive, so i'll have to rely on transit/walking.

any ideas?

el_harderino
02-01-2007, 08:11 AM
Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm, It's a short drive to Vegas, the beach, man the possibilities are endless in Cali.

jamiejames
02-01-2007, 08:15 AM
yeah i know! that's why i'm so excited. i think i'll just bum around for a week or two and do whatever, but it's nice to have a guideline....i hate it when i make it back home and someone goes "well did you check out blah blah blah?" and then i end up kicking myself for not knowing about it.

how short of a drive is it to the beach? i've been cold for four monthes now, and i will be cold for another four....i just want to feel the sand and the warm again.

el_harderino
02-01-2007, 08:20 AM
I'm not a local so I'm not entirely sure. It all depends on where you're staying. LA is a mamoth beast from the bowels of Hell. When we drove through on our way to Mexico it seemed like we drove for a whole day and never got out of the city. I think LA and Anaheim and San Diego are basically all kind of connected. I'm from a small town in Canada and when we hit LA i remember just about dropping a rose in my drawers because we went on this bridge where there were two bridges over us and two under us! Man it's just straight up retarded.

MsTekno
02-02-2007, 01:06 AM
I'm coming down from Canada, my first time into the states (other than a short trip to Oregon, where a woman got her shotgun out at us), and i figure if I'm going all that way, i have to check out the region too. I've never had any urge to visit California, so i really don't have any idea what they have to offer, what's close, or what's interesting. i don't drive, so i'll have to rely on transit/walking.

any ideas?
There's not too much near the festival - Palm Springs has a gondola up a mountain and a huge outlet mall, not sure about transit though.

Are you staying in SoCal before/after the festival? Are you flying in/out of LAX? If so you could take the Santa Monica Big Blue Bus (from parking Lot C at LAX) to a hostel in Santa Monica - right near the beach at Venice/Santa Monica. (Check out the website www.lahostels.org - you can book from there if you want). There are buses (Big Blue in S.M. or MTA in greater LA) - the hostel in S.M. is pretty centrally located for these to get around (I used to live near there).

There's a lot to see, but it takes a long time to get anywhere on a bus (or even in a car) due to traffic on the freeways. Venice beach is cool, if you like museums the Getty is great, there's always Disneyland in Anaheim (kinda far), it will be baseball season so you could go to a Dodger game in Chavez Ravine (Dodger Stadium), Hollywood is a little tacky and touristy but that's where you see the stars in the sidewalk and the footprints in the cement. If you want more suggestions PM me.....

Dead*Squirrel
02-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Hey jamiejames -- here's a couple of free guides you can get mailed to you (or ANYONE else not from the area!) from the local tourism authorities. That might help give you a feel for stuff around, probably have some maps in them etc. I'm not local, but it sounds like the local folks have already given you some great advice. :)

California in general:
http://www.visitcalifornia.com
(click on ad on lower right to lead you to request form)

Palm Springs area:
http://www.palmspringsusa.com/ultimate-guide.cfm
(that should be the form)

LA area:
http://www.seemyla.com/requestguide.aspx
(that should be the form also)

(Let me know if those links don't work properly, I'll parse back to something that does.)

Now, so what was the deal with the shotgun? Was it "wrong place/wrong time", or did you deserve it? ;)

woogie846
02-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Well, in Palm Springs, they have a pretty nice Waterpark which is uber refreshing because it gets so damn hot.

Adam2uBer
02-03-2007, 11:37 AM

any ideas?

There's nothing to see here.

All the good stuff is in LA, San Diego, or Orange County. Which is all 2 hours away from the Palm Springs - Indio area.

Hannahrain
02-03-2007, 03:34 PM
a short trip to Oregon, where a woman got her shotgun out at us

jeez. I lived in Oregon my whole life up until a few months ago, and overall it is not like that. It can be quite nice if you....don't go see that lady.

rampaige
02-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Is it worth going to Joshua Tree? We were going to go last year but ended up doing the tram up the mountain in Palm Springs. Should we attempt Joshua Tree again this year?

StayGolden
02-04-2007, 03:49 PM
who wants to come to Disney Land with us?!!!!!

SWEETSHIVERBURN
02-04-2007, 03:59 PM
go to mexico and get your freak on