PDA

View Full Version : Dressing for the weather.

Quentin
02-01-2007, 01:20 AM
So I posted this same thing in another thread, but others could use the information too.

I had a few questions concerning attire according to weather?

-Is it okay to wear jeans? I hate shorts and jeans just seem more practical for both weather situations, also protection against burning. As for tops...just regular stuff like spagehti straps and halters will work?

-Considering the heat and how much I'll be sweating should I put on lotion on my face or should I buy sunblock with lotion in it? I dont' shop for cosmetic things much...are there even sunblocks made with lotions in them?

-Question about shoes...what brands are good? I heard New Balances were pretty good. I was just thinking about pumas or vans?

-I was thinking sunglasses would be a good idea, but I wear prescribed glasses, and I'm pretty much blind without them, is there anyone around that?

smoke
02-01-2007, 01:35 AM
Dress as cool and comfortable as possible.

I saw a lot of people in jeans last year, but imo, it was waaay too hot for that. I'm a guy, so I usually rock boardshorts, tshirt/no shirt and comfortable skate/running shoe. Vans and Pumas dont really give great support. If you are planning on spending more than 2 hours there, you will be doing a LOT of walking.

Sunglasses are a must. Sunscreen is a MAJOR must. Put it on several times.

The bottom line about Coachella...at the end of the day you will be exhausted and completely filthy. Its a good place to sacrifice style for comfort.

toolisbomb
02-01-2007, 01:48 AM
1. i wore a jean skirt and a bikini top and just used a lot of sunscreen, i was fine. i despise being sweaty so wearing jeans/shorts aren't really an option as they tend to restrict your legs and stick to your skin. that's just me though. most people can handle the heat better than i can.

2. the sunblock i bought last year worked fucking wonderful. my face tends to get super super greasy, and being in a ridiculous level of heat doesn't help. i bought neutrogena ultrasheer dry-touch sunblock. i applied it at the beginning of the day and didn't need to reapply it for the rest of the day. i hate having the greasy feeling of sunblock on my skin as its akin to being sweaty, which i despise..so this stuff was perfect. you do need to apply it absolutely everywhere, though. like behind the ears, maybe even in the part of your hair if it's going to be down. i wouldn't know, but i imagine that having a sunburned scalp blows.

3. i believe i wore sandals. now most people will tell you thts not a good idea, but i live in them and i also refuse to give in =] i didn't have a problem w/ them at all, and i was right near the front for Tool last year. as for the brands you mentioned, it depeds on what you like in a shoe. pumas tend to be tighter, whereas vans tend to be, well, looser. i don't even like shoes, so it's really not an issue for me, but it's all a matter of personal preference.

4. as for the sunglasses issue..i totally feel you, i used to wear glasses and i'd have that problem al the time. i'm asian, so i have a really flat face and this option i'm about to divulge really isn't reasonable for me, but if you're not asian and have more pronounced features like hooded eyes and a more prominent nose, something you could consider is wearing glasses, and then wearing those huge bug eye sunglasses over them.

hope that helped =]

Quentin
02-01-2007, 02:10 AM
Dress as cool and comfortable as possible.

I saw a lot of people in jeans last year, but imo, it was waaay too hot for that. I'm a guy, so I usually rock boardshorts, tshirt/no shirt and comfortable skate/running shoe. Vans and Pumas dont really give great support. If you are planning on spending more than 2 hours there, you will be doing a LOT of walking.

Sunglasses are a must. Sunscreen is a MAJOR must. Put it on several times.

The bottom line about Coachella...at the end of the day you will be exhausted and completely filthy. Its a good place to sacrifice style for comfort.

Oh, I dont' care about style. I just wanted to know from other's peoples experience what to wear. Im plannin on jeans and plain tees. I don't have shorts and I don't really want to go out and buy some.

>.< I'm asian...and I have less of an arc for a nose then most asians...

randy ricochet
02-01-2007, 02:39 AM
Please see the topless thread for Coachella Attire in the sun!!!!!!

foto_synthesis
02-01-2007, 08:25 AM
i bought neutrogena ultrasheer dry-touch sunblock. i applied it at the beginning of the day and didn't need to reapply it for the rest of the day.

Considering the fact that I burn far more easily than I tan (blame the irish blood), and I also have an issue with greasy sunblock, I'm definitely gonna try that stuff. Thanks. :thu

grain
02-01-2007, 10:05 AM
comfort and common sense

i wouldn't wear jeans, at least not tight ones...
i've been wearing a light material pants

shoes: i've been wearing vans because they're also light and i'm not afraid to get them dirty since there is quite a lot of dust and dirt in the parking lots

since we'll be walking in plush grass, vans were fine

i always bring a light layer for the evening, cuz it can get cold...nothing and never anything too bulky..something i can either tie around my waist or stuff in someone's bag..

cuz i'm really about not carrying anything when inside the festival

captncrzy
02-01-2007, 10:23 AM
I was retarded last year-I wore flip flops AND I forgot my sunglasses. BIG MISTAKE!

If you're not quite sure what the heat is going to feel like
1) turn on your oven
2) pop your arms in
Should give you some idea as to the desert heat....

shmamber
02-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Clinique sunblock is also really good, and non-greasy; there is a formula for the face as well that is even less oily. It works like a charm!

As for attire, I am of the bikini with shorts and tank top type, though I always have long thin pants and a long sleeve shirt in my shoulder bag for when the wind picks up after the sun goes down. :)

kimery08
02-01-2007, 11:25 AM
i died in jeans last year. it is soooo hot. this year its shorts, skirts and/or sun dresses.
last year i had some spray on sunblock that worked out well because i really wasnt in the mood to reapply lotion when im already sweating.

bring a hat and a little hand towel.

stina16
02-01-2007, 11:32 AM
I wore black gaucho pants first day last year and felt like i was going to die

cotton dresses or khaki shorts work best

if your not planning on venturing to the front of the crowds flip flops for day and sneakers at night

AEversW
02-01-2007, 11:51 AM
i wore a cotton long sleeve shirt last year....it was breathable and i didnt get sunburned...i plan on doing the same this year...i'll probably end up in my flannels one day too.

Melissa
02-01-2007, 04:54 PM
Buy some walking sandals. Splurge a little though and get a decent pair. You will be doing a ton of walking and cheap shoes will only lead to sore feet, knees and back. Start looking now and you will certainly find some on sale before the show.

Baggy, light colored cotton or hemp is a good choice for clothing, but as others point out, it can get a little chilly at night! If you bring a beach towel to sit on, it can double as a blanket.

Meadowsmeister
02-01-2007, 06:22 PM
for Friday i shall be wearing

1. White and blue thick pinstripe v-neck t-shirt
2. Black Ben Sherman suit jacket (for the night time)
3. Black Ben Sherman waistcoat (daytime)
4. Black cigarette leg diesel jeans
5. black Marc Jacobs aviators
6. charcoal Ted Baker leather loafers
7. Ted Baker Black boxer briefs
8. Black Novelty socks
9. Tony & Guy funky gum hairwax

Got to dress to impress!
....how fucking stupid am i!?

Meadowsmeister
02-01-2007, 06:25 PM
also

I would recomend for girls, Poly Acitate fabric for shirts, its an incredibly lightweight fabric. similar to poly charmeuse (commonly mistaken for silk) but lighter, and more breathable.

Check the tags on your shirts, blouses, halters etc. It feels like Vinyl (No, not the records). It'll help you a shitload.

-Chris

dontfeedthebird
02-01-2007, 06:25 PM
I just can't let go of my button downs. Fuck the sun.

jerpar24
02-01-2007, 06:26 PM

8. Black Novelty socks

Got to dress to impress!

Its way to hot to wear Black anything and it looks like your doing everything black.

moooo
02-01-2007, 06:41 PM
LONG SLEEVE white cotton shirt and a sombrero.

You can get 3 for 13 bucks at target. That's one a day. I promise you won't find a better way to keep cool at coachella.

gaypalmsprings
02-01-2007, 07:01 PM
I wore shorts & a t-shirt. I kinda liked the guy who wore glow sticks, however.

ayates
02-01-2007, 07:09 PM
I went commando all weekend. Everyone was pleased.

Quentin
02-01-2007, 09:42 PM

8. Black Novelty socks

Got to dress to impress!

Hahaha, that's so cute. I don't think I've ever seen a guy more concerend for how he looks :p

And thanks for the post right beneath that, I'll be looking for those materials.

randy ricochet
02-02-2007, 04:12 AM

8. Black Novelty socks

Got to dress to impress!

So last season!!!!!

Meadowsmeister
02-02-2007, 01:37 PM
I'm a massachist, also somebody said to dress cool...so, i am :) mwagagagagaga

Quentin
02-02-2007, 09:31 PM
I'm a massachist, also somebody said to dress cool...so, i am :) mwagagagagaga

all that hairwax is going to melt onto your head! :rotfl

mountmccabe
02-02-2007, 11:41 PM
As for sunblock I would recommend the sport stuff. It's supposed to be sweatproof/water resistant/etc. Not quite but it is better than just normal stuff. I think the brand I've used is Coppertone but there're many of them.

And yes, a sunburnt scalp (even/especially just a little line where I part my hair) is awful. Everywhere needs sunblock.

And a lip balm with sunblock is key as well.

I'll wear big, loose shorts with lots of pockets (I don't bring a backpack in) and football jerseys (they breathe so well) usually with a t-shirt along as well. The t-shirt is nice and flexible; it'll work as a sweat mop, a headdress and, once it cools off some, as an extra layer.

I wear real glasses and never wear sunglasses even outside the festival so I would not consider them a must. If you're used to wearing them, though, they probably are a good thing to have along.

I've never worn a hat, either. I like wearing ballcaps and whatnot but they just make your head hot, really. I wore one on Sunday at Pitchfork and by and large it was annoying. And I'm not gonna wear a big straw hat that'll get in folks way and get knocked off anyway.

Your feet are going to feel terrible. Wear good shoes your feet are used to and good, clean, thick socks.

PassiveTheory
02-03-2007, 12:22 AM
I've got a question for those of you with perscription lenses (shade in the sunlight kind)... Did they hold up in the glare and what not? Because... if not, I may get fucked over...

McFearless
02-03-2007, 01:22 AM

8. Black Novelty socks

Got to dress to impress!

Yeah. I am def dressing to impress as well.

Can I make out with you?

Daedra
02-03-2007, 03:07 PM
this will make alot of people laugh but seriously, wear underware... other wise with the heat and sweat you will have a nice raw and chapped a$$ at the end of the day.

Also sandals are the way to go, but buy a pair that has the back strap other wise your foot will start to r cramp after a few hours

DodgerBlues
02-03-2007, 03:25 PM
im a dude and all im wearing is a thong and flip flops

DodgerBlues
02-03-2007, 03:30 PM
WARNING: To All Women On Their Cycle

To all women menstruating, go with tampons (inserts) instead of maxi pads for maxi pads let out odors which draw the attention of jackals and desert coyotes in the area. Two women were seeing beeing dragged away by coyotes at the Coachella festival in '04. Wearer Beware!!

rampaige
02-03-2007, 04:18 PM
I wore flip flops both days last year, and I was fine. My feet were filthy by day's end, but I wasn't hobbling out by any means.

Courtney
02-03-2007, 04:27 PM
I wore flip flops both days last year, and I was fine. My feet were filthy by day's end, but I wasn't hobbling out by any means.

Me too. I love my flip flops, and have worn them to Coachella before without a problem. But I guess it depends what you're used to.

Flip flops aren't good if you want to be in the area right in the front of the stage where everyone is shoved together, because your feet will probably be stepped on at least once or twice. Also, they don't have much arch support, which some people need.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
02-03-2007, 04:48 PM
So would a kilt be a wise choice?

Hmmmmmmm......

Disco!
02-03-2007, 05:00 PM
I'm planning on wearing a kilt, only thing that I'm concerned about is the fact that it is a heavier material than shorts etc.
At least the boys will be free...

John Peel is My Co-pilot
02-03-2007, 07:11 PM
I'm planning on wearing a kilt, only thing that I'm concerned about is the fact that it is a heavier material than shorts etc.
At least the boys will be free...

Hey, Disco. I wore mine on Saturday at Lolla last year. There were 2 of us - me and another Scot, a cool student I met at Editors on Friday. It was warm, but as you said, the boys definitely felt more comfy.

That Gold Bond Powder that everyone recommends definitely sounds like the way to go!

We should all get together for Travis and The Fratellis - turn a wee corner of California into Balado!

amyzzz
02-03-2007, 07:59 PM

To all women menstruating, go with tampons (inserts) instead of maxi pads for maxi pads let out odors which draw the attention of jackals and desert coyotes in the area. Two women were seeing beeing dragged away by coyotes at the Coachella festival in '04. Wearer Beware!!
Fuck off and die. Really.

Meadowsmeister
02-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Yeah. I am def dressing to impress as well.

Can I make out with you?

Yes, if your:
A: Female
or
B: Post op.

GTI_GRL
02-07-2007, 05:45 PM
Baggy shorts with lots of pockets. Last year I wore cut off cargo pants, and it worked out perfectly. I wore a pair of adidas superstars in, and then put on a pair of flip flops while inside. Between shorts and flip flops, the heat was nothing to bad until you start dancing in the Sahara tent or wait near the stage in the sun with 50,000 other people.

momof5
02-07-2007, 06:01 PM
I don't know if wearing a kilt is a good idea..the one time I wore a skirt I just had sweat running down my legs -it was so hot! In one of the tents it was so hot that it felt like I was being rained upon. I think loose,light pants/shorts are the way to go.

ashtraygrl
02-07-2007, 07:30 PM
is it REALLY that hot? i think i read that the average that time of year is in the low 90s. ........ so it's similar to florida summer hot?

captncrzy
02-07-2007, 08:26 PM
is it REALLY that hot? i think i read that the average that time of year is in the low 90s. ........ so it's similar to florida summer hot?

No; there's usually not any humidity like there is in Florida...its a dry heat. All day long. I'm tellin ya, I live in the desert and if you're not used to that burning kind of heat, you have to take care of yourself or you'll be passed out somewhere from heat stroke. Wear tons of sunblock, breathable clothes, a hat if at all possible, comfortable shoes, sunglasses to protect your corneas, and drink about three times as much water as you normally would.

GTI_GRL
02-08-2007, 12:47 AM
It got into the high 90's last year, and you can feel it. I am used to this type of weather, but never being out in the sun as much. If you camp, you will wake up around 7-8am because your tent becomes an oven.

As Captncrzy stated drink lot of water. I would drink a whole 12oz bottle when I woke up, another with breakfast (stay away from soda), and try to finish another on the way into the venue. Inside the venue, I would drink at least 3-4 waters, 2 sports drink, 1 frozen lemonade, and when I get back to the camp site another water.

You will not pee as much as you would think, because you sweat so much. The less yellow the better, and the next day if you dont pee by 11am you are dehydrated. Try to drink at least one sports drink during the day, it will balance the levels in your body.

Sally Cinnamon
02-08-2007, 12:52 AM
its so wierd
normally when packin for a festival its as many rain jackets ya can afford and hundreds of socks cos dry feet are a must
im gonna have to buy a new wardrobe for this
sweeet

mimi3000
02-08-2007, 09:39 AM
I live in jeans!!!! Is it really that bad? I mean I live in Hawaii and i'm kinda used to hot weather. jeans and tank top for me. And tony & guy hair product too. haha.

captncrzy
02-08-2007, 08:23 PM
geez i really can't answer about the jeans; i don't wear them here in the summer-so I wouldn't wear them there either-just too damn hot for me.

Carlo Von Sexron
02-08-2007, 11:59 PM
"neutrogena ultrasheer dry-touch sunblock"

Definitely...I highly recommend this stuff also.

tijuanamakesmehappy
02-09-2007, 03:38 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
:D

Meadowsmeister
02-09-2007, 04:01 PM
I live in jeans!!!! Is it really that bad? I mean I live in Hawaii and i'm kinda used to hot weather. jeans and tank top for me. And tony & guy hair product too. haha.

woop!

momof5
02-09-2007, 06:24 PM
Jeans can work if they are a lighter weight denim--my girls have worn jeans. Again it will depend on the weather. We can be lucky and see the lowto mid 90,s or be 100+ and you can really tell the difference. Two years ago my youngest daughter at her first Coachella went in the ladies room trailer to chang into shorts and came out crying. Any enclosed spaces are terribly hot! By the way I told my kid to suck it up and have fun causre we stay til midnite--She did and had a great time and this year will be her third Coachella!