PDA

View Full Version : NEW MUSIC TAXDAY (4/15) GETTIN ANYTHING?

C DUB YA
04-15-2008, 08:07 AM
I strongly suggest everyone own the deluxe Moon Safari from Air. One of the best records of the last 10 years. The Kooks second record, and the new M83 are also good.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j32/carywhitt/newrecords_4_15.jpg

Air: Moon Safari (10th Anniversary 3-disc Deluxe Edition)
The Kooks: Konk
M83: Saturdays = Youth
Black Francis: Svn Fngrs
The Autumns: Fake Noise From a Box of Toys
Does It Offend You, Yeah?: You Have No Idea What You're Getting Yourself Into (US version)
Frightened Rabbit: The Midnight Organ Fight
The Brian Jonestown Massacre: My Bloody Underground
Phantom Planet: Raise the Dead
James: Hey Ma (import)
Frank Sinatra: Sinatra At the Movies
Can: Future Days (reissue)
Can: Monster Movie (reissue)
Everclear: The Vegas Years
Christopher Bissonnette: In Between Words
American Princes: Other People
The Child Ballad: Cheekbone Hollows
Asia: Phoenix
Does It Offend You Yeah?: You Have No Idea What You're Getting Yourself Into
Elliott Murphy: Notes From The Underground
James McMurtry: Just Us Kids
Robert Pollard: Weatherman and Skin Goddess (EP)
Gossip: Live in Liverpool
John Digweed: Volume 4 Transitions
The Silver State: Cut and Run
Jason Isbell: Live at Twist & Shout EP (live)
Jordan Zevon: Insides Out
Ours: Mercy (Dancing for the Death of an Imaginary Enemy)
Joseph Arthur: Crazy Rain and Boredom EP
Justin Nozuka: Holly
Kate Rusby: Awkward Annie
The Sword: Gods of the Earth [lp]
Kris Delmhorst: Shotgun Singer
Whiskeytown: Strangers Almanac (vinyl remastered reissue with bonus tracks)
Mariah Carey: E=MC2
Opeth: Still Life (reissue)
Rush: Snakes & Arrows (2-CD live album)
Orchestral Manouvres in the Dark: Dazzle Ships (remastered with bonus tracks)
The Plastic Constellations: We Appreciate You
R.E.M.: Supernatural Superserious EP (vinyl edition)
Sally Shapiro: Remix Romance, Vol. 1
Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes: 1978 - Live in Boston
Tristan Prettyman: Hello
Thrice: The Alchemy Index Vols. III & IV: Air & Earth

i_like_cake530
04-15-2008, 08:21 AM
is that warren zevon's son?

C DUB YA
04-15-2008, 08:29 AM
???????

I guess so.

shakermaker113
04-15-2008, 08:31 AM
can anyone tell me if the dvd with the special edition of moon safari is different from the dvd that I got with talkie walkie? if so I might have to buy it.

**** special editions.

C DUB YA
04-15-2008, 08:34 AM
can anyone tell me if the dvd with the special edition of moon safari is different from the dvd that I got with talkie walkie? if so I might have to buy it.

**** special editions.

I don't know... yet.

But I am buying none-the-less just to get a nice remastered version of the record, it seriously needed it.

luckyface
04-15-2008, 09:17 AM
One letter, 2 numbers: M83. On vinyl.

humanoid
04-15-2008, 09:20 AM
Brian Jonestown Massacre
M83

ThomThom
04-15-2008, 10:03 AM
That title for the Thrice album is fucking absurd...

"The Alchemy Index Vols. III & IV: Air & Earth"

I lol'd.

Tylerdurden31
04-15-2008, 10:03 AM

i need that...but i need a speaker system first... :-/

C DUB YA
04-15-2008, 10:16 AM
I got the M83 - very excited about it. lovely artwork too.

C DUB YA
04-15-2008, 11:39 AM

**** special editions.

the dvd is the same

BlackSwan
04-15-2008, 11:52 AM
the review of the Does It Offend You, Yeah? album on Pitchfork is hilar.

C DUB YA
04-15-2008, 12:50 PM
and kinda wrong

amyzzz
04-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Isn't the new portishead out today...? I know I need to google, but still. I'm not sure where to look for the actual CD if it is.

edit: most places are saying April 28th, which is a Monday, so it'd be England dates, so maybe April 29th?

whynotsmile99
04-15-2008, 01:37 PM
Isn't the new portishead out today...? I know I need to google, but still. I'm not sure where to look for the actual CD if it is.

edit: most places are saying April 28th, which is a Monday, so it'd be England dates, so maybe April 29th?

perfect, can pick it up same time I get GTA 4.

Fuck, I need money

C DUB YA
04-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Portishead is in two weeks. $8-$10 at most places.

http://www.amazon.com/Third-Portishead/dp/B0016HNOXQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1208292089&sr=1-6

CuervoPH
04-15-2008, 01:44 PM
I ordered the new Foals and the new Clinic from Amazon on April 9th (they were released on April 8th). My latest updated shipping estimate is April 21st-25th. I'm afraid to order anything released this week as I may not see it until June.

I think I'll have to see if Border's got the new M83.

sddoctor
04-15-2008, 01:59 PM
the new M83 album is great! I'll probably buy that, even though I had an 'unofficial' copy of the album last month.

suprefan
04-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Thrice: The Alchemy Index Vols. III & IV: Air & Earth

Glad you mentioned it. Got it...

PassiveTheory
04-15-2008, 05:27 PM
I want the Moon Safari reissue (especially for my show), the new M83, the new Kooks, the live Gossip disc, possibly the Frank Black disc if it doesn't suck, an uh... That's it.

ThomThom
04-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Chris please tell me that Thrice album name is a joke.

paulb
04-15-2008, 05:30 PM
What kinda music is M83? Ive read here that its a good cd.

PassiveTheory
04-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Chris please tell me that Thrice album name is a joke.

It isn't... It's part of their 4 album concept thing. These two are apparently the ambient records.

And before you ask; yes. Thrice. making ambient music. Thrice. ambient music.

Just preceding the confusion, that's all.

IdiotequeThom
04-15-2008, 05:38 PM
Glad you mentioned it. Got it...

i got it too. what do you think?

dontfeedthebird
04-15-2008, 05:41 PM

**** special editions.

it's different. it's the mike mills documentary called eating sleeping waiting and playing, and not just a couple of live tracks. the special edition is very nice, so buy yours today!

shakermaker113
04-15-2008, 06:09 PM
it's different. it's the mike mills documentary called eating sleeping waiting and playing, and not just a couple of live tracks. the special edition is very nice, so buy yours today!

I swear I've seen that before somewhere. is it that one I saw on comcast on demand a few years back? I didn't like that one much...

I listened to bits of the m83 already. I strongly dislike this... I'll try it again later, but I'm not buying it yet.

woogie846
04-15-2008, 06:20 PM
There is nothing that I want that was released today. I already have Moon Safari, is the deluxe edition really worth it?

suprefan
04-15-2008, 06:24 PM
It isn't... It's part of their 4 album concept thing. These two are apparently the ambient records.

And before you ask; yes. Thrice. making ambient music. Thrice. ambient music.

Just preceding the confusion, that's all.

He knwos Passive. And yeah no confusion. ambient my ass...

i got it too. what do you think?

Im not going to comment..

ThomThom
04-15-2008, 06:25 PM
Chris just explained the entire process of that Thrice album title and I feel pathetic for listening.

IdiotequeThom
04-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Im not going to comment..

why not? i personally think that broken lungs is one of the best songs they've ever written.

dontfeedthebird
04-15-2008, 07:22 PM
There is nothing that I want that was released today. I already have Moon Safari, is the deluxe edition really worth it?

the mike mills documentary was released years ago. the big thing about this collection is the remix cd, cuz i already own "eating." but i think the remix cd is awesome and the whole package is totally worth it. HOWEVER, i can send you the remixes if you want.

suprefan
04-15-2008, 07:26 PM
Chris just explained the entire process of that Thrice album title and I feel pathetic for listening.

shut up, better me explaining it and knowing what they are talking about.

why not? i personally think that broken lungs is one of the best songs they've ever written.

I just dont write reviews about thrice and the music, not my style. I hardly ever do, I either say ''this is cool'' or ''its ok'' or something to that measure. I rarely go into long rambles about a record in general. This one, I just want to hear it live and Ill be happy. Luckily, I get to on Thursday.

bullokz
04-15-2008, 08:08 PM
none

circles
04-15-2008, 08:16 PM
new thrice is the fucking jam...

C DUB YA
04-15-2008, 08:30 PM
no.

BlackSwan
04-15-2008, 10:43 PM
and kinda wrong

i agree kinda wrong... so, a little bit right too.

BlackSwan
04-15-2008, 10:49 PM
new m83... in fuiku

kinda interesting
one trick pony
we own the sky
reminds me a little of the knife
so that's cool i guess

Cdubby
04-15-2008, 10:51 PM
seeing as i only have Air Moon Safari off of itunes, i think i need to upgrade it with the deluxe + dvds, how much does this realease run? like 25 bucks?

orbit
04-16-2008, 01:42 AM
$20 on amazon.

C DUB YA
04-16-2008, 07:41 AM
22.99 at Best Buy

shakermaker113
04-16-2008, 09:48 AM
I wonder how much it is at virgin. that's the only convenient place on my way home, sadly.

Tylerdurden31
04-16-2008, 11:39 AM

So I picked up Saturdays = Youth @ Virgin. I asked the guy about the vinyl...he said they'll probably have it in a few weeks, so I got the CD. Then he proceeds to tell me that the girl on the far right on the album cover is his daughter. He said that they needed some "stylish" teenagers for the cover. Ta-da

luckyface
04-16-2008, 12:11 PM
So I picked up Saturdays = Youth @ Virgin. I asked the guy about the vinyl...he said they'll probably have it in a few weeks, so I got the CD. Then he proceeds to tell me that the girl on the far right on the album cover is his daughter. He said that they needed some "stylish" teenagers for the cover. Ta-da

Wouldn't that be funny if he totally made that up to impress you?

Tylerdurden31
04-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Wouldn't that be funny if he totally made that up to impress you?

it would be...but i wouldn't be that surprised. I was in NYC...shit like that happens all the time...we have tons of "stylish" and "hip" teenagers.

shakermaker113
04-16-2008, 07:20 PM
is it just me that thinks the m83 album sounds 20 years too late?

Tylerdurden31
04-16-2008, 09:39 PM
is it just me that thinks the m83 album sounds 20 years too late?

i still think it's awesome, but yeah...that guy would be a millionaire if he made music 20 years ago

C DUB YA
04-16-2008, 10:28 PM
Anyone pick up the new Kooks?

I like it - but I like them so I'm not a good judge. (Favorite songs: Mr Maker, Sway, See the Sun, By My Side, Watching the Ships Roll In, All Over Town) Seems there is over abundance of song ideas on here, maybe some not fully fleshed out, but some really nice things all in all.

If you are going to get it, be sure and get the double limited edition, pretty much a double album (21 tunes total), and only $9.99 at Amazon.

shakermaker113
04-17-2008, 09:57 AM
I just don't get the new m83. I listened again last night. or at least, I tried. I couldn't get half way through it. it's a bunch of cheesy shite. isn't it?

Tylerdurden31
04-17-2008, 11:26 AM
I just don't get the new m83. I listened again last night. or at least, I tried. I couldn't get half way through it. it's a bunch of cheesy shite. isn't it?

if you don't like it, you don't like it. I think it's the big synth pad sound and drama that the music uses that I like.

BlackSwan
04-17-2008, 11:31 AM
if you don't like it, you don't like it. I think it's the big synth pad sound and drama that the music uses that I like.

that's true. people have different opinions and likes, but the fact that the whole album is one sound is a valid criticism.

Blinken
04-17-2008, 11:38 AM
perfect, can pick it up same time I get GTA 4.

Fuck, I need money

I need to preorder that.

Tylerdurden31
04-17-2008, 12:13 PM
that's true. people have different opinions and likes, but the fact that the whole album is one sound is a valid criticism.

I would disagree...I don't believe it's all the same sound. There's synths in every song...sure...but so what? There's guitars in every beatles song. Synths are an essential tool in the M83 guidebook.

C DUB YA
04-17-2008, 01:48 PM
Just read the Pitchfork review of the Kooks latest - sooooo predictable. I swear I can call out their number rating of any album before I click on it, 9 times out of ten. the thing about the Kooks review is it is obviously written by a young hipster, who thinks they know more than they really do, kinda sad, kinda funny.

If a band comes out and they don't wear wacky ironic beaver costumes, or they don't pee on the audience during their live shows, or play endangered whale bones for percussion... then Pitchfork will usually pan it.

psychoc&ndy
04-17-2008, 07:22 PM
Just read the Pitchfork review of the Kooks latest - sooooo predictable. I swear I can call out their number rating of any album before I click on it, 9 times out of ten. the thing about the Kooks review is it is obviously written by a young hipster, who thinks they know more than they really do, kinda sad, kinda funny.

If a band comes out and they don't wear wacky ironic beaver costumes, or they don't pee on the audience during their live shows, or play endangered whale bones for percussion... then Pitchfork will usually pan it.

holy shit that's my new signature. soo true. there needs to be a thread about how lame pitchforks writers are. hahahha endangered whale bones.

PassiveTheory
04-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Dude... Endangered Whale Bones.

That's my next band name.

C DUB YA
04-18-2008, 09:11 AM
thats a good one! hahaha