PDA

View Full Version : How do you build a tarp? HELP!

calicutie
04-13-2008, 09:54 AM
How would you go about building a makeshift tarp out of pvc (or anything else)? are there specific pvc steaks you can use? i can't afford a fancy canopy but i don't want to roast in the morning. i need some help please!

faxman75
04-13-2008, 10:02 AM
Umm four sticks and a bed sheet? I'm guessing that's the cheapest way.

captncrzy
04-13-2008, 10:04 AM
Go to home depot and tell them what you need, someone there will probably help you

slurpee
04-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Tarps are really cheap. Go to home deport and buy multiple tarps that you can string together.

As the day progresses, the sun will shift. So this may cause you to move your shade.

Lots of string, a knife, and lots of tarps. You will be set. Probably cost $20 and tarps fit into your suitcase really easy.

Flying with a big knife....be careful. They might search your bag and take it out.

We usually stop off at wal mart and buy supplies on our way to camping in California...

faxman75
04-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Umm I'm guessing that was a bad suggestion. I doubt you can get a knife onto the campground and i'm guessing multiple tarps won't work for one person considering space.

slurpee
04-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Why would a camp ground not allow knifes?

You need tools to go camping. Hammer, knife, etc...

Airplane is one thing, but not a camp site.

It is so easy to attached tarps to people's tents. People will appreciate you helping build more shade. As shade is a hot commodity at Coachella.

gaypalmsprings
04-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Why would you be in the campground all day?

JustSteve
04-13-2008, 10:39 AM
this ain't camping in a mountain or anything, you will not need a knife to camp at coachella.

gaypalmsprings
04-13-2008, 10:40 AM
You could fashion just about any tool from a bar of soap.

chiapet
04-13-2008, 10:41 AM
Why would a camp ground not allow knifes?

I'm sure it depends on the size and type of the knife. If it could be considered a weapon, and they find it during the search.

faxman75
04-13-2008, 10:42 AM
You weren't exactly specific about the tarp usage. Sure if it's going over a bunch of tents it would be fine. I wouldn't think hunting knives would be allowed, though maybe I am wrong. I don't see any restrictions for knives on the camping page.

Campgrounds don't usually ban campfires either but this one does.

slurpee
04-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Why would you be in the campground all day?

Shade is required at sunrise, not all day.

As soon as the sun rises, all you hear is tents zippering open. Then people tearing off the layers of clothes that kept them warm all night.

Then you start attaching the tarps to the tops of everyones tents or any other tall objects you can find.

I am not talking about a Crocodile Dundee outback knife. A swiss army knife could work. Anything sharp enough to cut STRING.

rnewton81
04-13-2008, 11:38 AM
Go to Harbor Freight or a similar discount tool place. The tarps are SUPER cheap. Then go to Home Depot and buy lengths of PVC can couplers that will allow you to build a structure for the tarp to go over. And then some zip ties and VOILA!

sassypants
04-13-2008, 11:45 AM
they took away my petite hammer last year - I brought it to put the tent stakes in the ground. And I'm quite sure they will take away any knife unless you disguise it well.

Keep in mind that it can get windy at night, so any tarp/canopy arrangement should be well secured to the ground unless you want it to fall over.

BROKENDOLL
04-13-2008, 03:05 PM
I'm thinking Coachella could add a 4th day to the festival...The one spent watching all the campers excitedly partying and getting wasted while erecting their tents, canopies, etc...

Rauuul
04-14-2008, 09:58 AM
I'm thinking Coachella could add a 4th day to the festival...The one spent watching all the campers excitedly partying and getting wasted while erecting their tents, canopies, etc...

The fourth day is Thursday when you set up your camp site or 1st day if you think about it.

M Sparks
04-14-2008, 10:04 AM
A tarp is a flat piece of plastic or fabric. You build something WITH a tarp. Making an actual tarp is crazy talk.

boarderwoozel3
04-14-2008, 10:26 AM
You could fashion just about any tool from a bar of soap.

By dropping it?

meyouseek
04-14-2008, 10:41 AM
http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15661

a discussion of shade from a while back. Check out my mini-dome

Emmie01
04-15-2008, 09:27 AM
they took away my petite hammer last year - I brought it to put the tent stakes in the ground.

Just in case you decide to go on a killing spree with a tack hammer? Lame.

Would bedsheets or something like that work for this? I'm trying to think of airflow here.

paganman7
04-15-2008, 10:00 AM
A tarp is a flat piece of plastic or fabric. You build something WITH a tarp. Making an actual tarp is crazy talk.

You seem to always say what I'm thinking.

I'm surprised it took that long.

invisiblerobots
04-15-2008, 10:05 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/shepdogg16/tarp-30198.jpg

BROKENDOLL
04-15-2008, 10:12 AM
The fourth day is Thursday when you set up your camp site or 1st day if you think about it. Woo-hoo! You win!I bet you'll be the headliner that day too!