PDA

View Full Version : S.C.I.E.N.C.E.

unitedwestand
04-10-2008, 06:14 PM
listening to it yet again and I'm just realizing how much it kick ass compared to other Incubus albums

MassiveChemicalPunk
04-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Science was great. but I prefer Make Yourself.

unitedwestand
04-10-2008, 06:30 PM
that's a good one too

GnarVee
04-10-2008, 06:56 PM
im down with all of em....ACLOTM not so much

nationocean
04-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Make Yourself

phonics80
04-11-2008, 12:48 AM
listening to it yet again and I'm just realizing how much it kick ass compared to other Incubus albums

Word! Summer Romance (Anti-Gravity Love Song) = Best Incubus track ever...in my opinion.

Astrid
04-11-2008, 01:04 AM
make yourself>everything else they've done

humanoid
04-11-2008, 11:10 AM
I thought S.C.I.E.N.C.E. kicked ass.......then they became a different band that I can't stand

eNVyartist
04-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Couldn't agree with you more!

I thought S.C.I.E.N.C.E. kicked ass.......then they became a different band that I can't stand

paulb
04-11-2008, 12:14 PM
I think the song, The Warmth, is the best off Make Yourself

alex97
04-11-2008, 05:13 PM
wow.. s.c.i.e.n.c.e...
i have it on tape (original).. it's great :)

Stainofmind
04-11-2008, 10:42 PM
I listened to that album throughout my eighth grade year. My favorite track is "new skin". I was pissed that they performed it acoustically the last time i seen them at the Warfield back in January of 07.

Stainofmind
04-11-2008, 10:44 PM

I'm think the reason Dirk Left the band was because he wasnt down with the whole direction the band was going.

GauchoGuy17
04-11-2008, 11:10 PM
Nebula is my favorite song off that album.

All of their albums are pretty good, IMO, except for A Crow Left of the Murder. Light Grenades was fantastic with the exception of Diamonds and Coal. That song sucked.

wmgaretjax
04-11-2008, 11:25 PM
uh.... really? I think Creed is better.

GauchoGuy17
04-11-2008, 11:30 PM
uh.... really? I think Creed is better.
Creed sucks dick compared to Incubus. What the hell are you talking about?

wmgaretjax
04-11-2008, 11:44 PM
Creed sucks dick compared to Incubus. What the hell are you talking about?

Fuck you man, you just don't know importantly awesome they were. Like Nickelback... You probably don't like Nickelback either.

clecirclecir@juno.com
04-11-2008, 11:51 PM
Fuck you man, you just don't know importantly awesome they were. Like Nickelback... You probably don't like Nickelback either.

yeah man, 50yrs from now, we'll look back and say: "Fuck! Nickelback changed the course of music"
then we would be happy

clecirclecir@juno.com
04-11-2008, 11:53 PM
stopped listening to incubus though after i heard morning view...did not like that. but hey no everyone can measure up to scott stapp, that man is a titan.

onawhim onadare
04-11-2008, 11:54 PM
I'm think the reason Dirk Left the band was because he wasnt down with the whole direction the band was going.

Mike has said he really wasn't that important of an asset-as in some of the best bass lines weren't even done by him. That said, I don't know what has happened to them. Ben is an amazing musician but for whatever reason their stuff with him is horrible (though ACLOTM is way better than LG).

GauchoGuy17
04-12-2008, 12:58 AM
Why the fuck are you trying to equate a bunch of no talent hacks like Nickelback and Creed to one of the better bands of this decade? It's pretty obvious what you're doing, and no one really finds it funny but you.

kreutz2112
04-12-2008, 01:09 AM
Nickelback and CReed are the two most innovative bands of the past 10 years.

clumsy342
04-12-2008, 01:14 AM
Nickelback and CReed are the two most innovative bands of the past 10 years.

I second this and would like to add Puddle of Mudd to the list.

clumsy342
04-12-2008, 01:16 AM
(sorry, it's not letting me edit right now)

Also yes, I love SCIENCE. Great fucking album.
It's all about Glass and Certain Shade of Green.

Also what was it called... Um, the ep with "Be a Hot Dancer" that's great as well.

kreutz2112
04-12-2008, 01:17 AM
does google not work either?

clumsy342
04-12-2008, 01:20 AM
sit on it.

Enjoy Incubus! Ha.. alright..
good shit.

Also the movie 'Incubus' with William Shatner RULES.
Anyone see that?

GauchoGuy17
04-12-2008, 02:02 AM
I second this and would like to add Puddle of Mudd to the list.
Can't forget Adema and Staind.

But seriously, Incubus is a great band by any standard. The fact that they get radio play doesn't make them shit. A lot of people on this board like to hate on all popular bands for whatever reason, with a few exceptions like Radiohead, and I don't understand it.

clecirclecir@juno.com
04-12-2008, 02:26 AM

But seriously, Incubus is a great band by any standard. The fact that they get radio play doesn't make them shit. A lot of people on this board like to hate on all popular bands for whatever reason, with a few exceptions like Radiohead, and I don't understand it.

um i like un-merchandised radio...
i liked incubus till their mindset went elsewhere...then it didn't apply so much to my current situation in life. what other popular bands are you talking about? i am curious. why the angst?

JSam67
04-12-2008, 05:34 AM
Make Yourself is a great album. S.C.I.E.N.C.E. is pretty good, too, and I guess I'm one of the few who likes Morning View. Everything following pales in comparison. I still don't hate these guys, I enjoyed seeing them a few years ago.

GauchoGuy17
04-13-2008, 06:36 PM
Make Yourself is a great album. S.C.I.E.N.C.E. is pretty good, too, and I guess I'm one of the few who likes Morning View. Everything following pales in comparison. I still don't hate these guys, I enjoyed seeing them a few years ago.
I'm a big Light Grenades fan as well. Musically, it's really good. Lyrically it's a mixed bag. But aside from Diamonds and Coal, there isn't a bad song on that album.

wmgaretjax
04-13-2008, 08:57 PM

It's not the radio play that makes them shit, it's the shitty music.

GauchoGuy17
04-14-2008, 09:41 AM
It's not the radio play that makes them shit, it's the shitty music.

By what standards? The shitty guitar, bass and drums? Oh wait, Mike Einziger is a pretty damn good guitarist, and their bass and drums are well above average. Their boring, derivative melodies and arrangements? Oh wait, Incubus has some of the most creative melodies out there, and their arrangements are way above average for the rock genre. The awful singer? Oh wait, Brandon has an awesome voice and tons of stage presence.

Stop hating.

wmgaretjax
04-14-2008, 10:09 AM
By what standards? The shitty guitar, bass and drums? Oh wait, Mike Einziger is a pretty damn good guitarist, and their bass and drums are well above average. Their boring, derivative melodies and arrangements? Oh wait, Incubus has some of the most creative melodies out there, and their arrangements are way above average for the rock genre. The awful singer? Oh wait, Brandon has an awesome voice and tons of stage presence.

Creative melodies? Being a good instrumentalist doesn't guarantee you can write good music. Man, you need to get out and listen to some other music if you think Incubus is original. Tons of "SCIENCE" is poor, dumbed down versions of James Chance and Contortionist songs.

GauchoGuy17
04-14-2008, 03:30 PM
Creative melodies? Being a good instrumentalist doesn't guarantee you can write good music. Man, you need to get out and listen to some other music if you think Incubus is original. Tons of "SCIENCE" is poor, dumbed down versions of James Chance and Contortionist songs.

Which songs? I've been watching some James Chance videos on youtube, and while this kind of music was probably an influence on Incubus and a number of other bands, it doesn't really sound that similar.

thinnerair
04-14-2008, 03:47 PM
(maybe this belongs in the confessions thread)

I've probably seen Incubus over 20 times. A lot of times by accident.

wmgaretjax
04-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Which songs? I've been watching some James Chance videos on youtube, and while this kind of music was probably an influence on Incubus and a number of other bands, it doesn't really sound that similar.

Listen harder. While I feel like it's an insult to the Contortionists to even reference them in regards to Incubus's work, this is an example of "similar" work that was light years ahead of Incubus a decade and a half before.

menikmati
04-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Incubus is so like 1999. I can't believe they're still worth a discussion on a message board.

thinnerair
04-14-2008, 03:50 PM
..says the Nirvana guy.

wmgaretjax
04-14-2008, 03:51 PM
..says the Nirvana guy.

hahahahaha

menikmati
04-14-2008, 03:52 PM
but see, unlike Incubus, Nirvana made good music

wmgaretjax
04-14-2008, 03:54 PM
but see, unlike Incubus, Nirvana made good music

you know that I don't care for Nirvana, but I would have a much tougher time simply writing them off like I can Incubus. the man speaks truth.

menikmati
04-14-2008, 03:56 PM
Incubus only seems to be relevant to those people still stuck in the FM radio world, who are glued to "alternative" stations in the afternoon and paying too much to attend a crappy radio rock fest show.

GauchoGuy17
04-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Listen harder. While I feel like it's an insult to the Contortionists to even reference them in regards to Incubus's work, this is an example of "similar" work that was light years ahead of Incubus a decade and a half before.
Again, which songs? Just list me four or five songs that you feel are a direct influence on S.C.I.E.N.C.E. (which itself is an early album made by the band when they were in their early, early 20's).

I don't really see any similarities at all between James Chance and later Incubus.

Incubus only seems to be relevant to those people still stuck in the FM radio world, who are glued to "alternative" stations in the afternoon and paying too much to attend a crappy radio rock fest show.
You couldn't be more mistaken.

Well, you could, but you're still pretty mistaken.

thinnerair
04-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Incubus were fucking awesome on the SCIENCE and MAKE YOURSELF tours. After that, not so much.

Jay_Fiedler
04-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Yeah SCIENCE and Make Yourself were amazing. The rest not so much. Oh well.

GauchoGuy17
04-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Post-Make Yourself they've become more mellow, but they're still just as good, IMO, with the exception of A Crow Left of the Murder.

Morning View was an absolutely fantastic album. So many good songs on that one, like Aqueous Transmission, Just a Phase, Under My Umbrella, Echo, Warning, etc.

ACLOTM was pretty mediocre. I thought they had lost it after this album.

But then they came back with Light Grenades. Really, the only thing I can criticize about this album is that too many of the songs are about love or relationships, and the song Diamonds and Coal is one of the worst, cheesiest songs ever. But everything else is fantastic. A lot of interesting, innovative melodies like on Paper Shoes, Dig, Earth to Bella pts. 1 and 2.

Definitely one of the best albums of 2006, IMO.

wmgaretjax
04-14-2008, 05:04 PM
Again, which songs? Just list me four or five songs that you feel are a direct influence on S.C.I.E.N.C.E. (which itself is an early album made by the band when they were in their early, early 20's).

I don't really see any similarities at all between James Chance and later Incubus.

Listen to "Buy" the album, by the Contortions.