PDA

View Full Version : Who is Coachella's most "valuable" act this year?

betao
04-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Portishead: First US show in who knows how long, and no word yet about any US dates.

Prince: Legendary superstar, rarely does shows, and his shows cost a fortune. Definitely an extremely awesome headliner.

Aphex Twin: Just how often does one of the most legendary IDM artists play the states? And his only US festival appearance this year.

Kraftwerk: Along with Eno and Tangerine Dream, they are pioneers in the world of electronic music. Only doing a handful of shows this summer, and at their age, who knows how much longer they will be around.

Roger Waters: With all the rumors going on about some sweet production, and as a member of one of the most influential bands of all time, will he bring something to the desert that no one has ever seen before?

or did I leave out the most valuable act?

coldstart
04-09-2008, 08:58 PM
Aphex, fuck Prince.

Alchemy
04-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Dark Side of the Moon is one of my favorite albums ever, so... Roger Waters. But everything else is splendid.

JSam67
04-09-2008, 09:30 PM
I voted Portishead. I go to Coachella because it's Coachella, not for the acts, but if Portishead hadn't been on the original lineup, I don't know if I would've sprung for tickets. The next 2 biggest value acts, Prince and Aphex, were late adds. Waters will be epic, especially in this setting with insane production, but doesn't trigger the same excitement as the other 3 acts. Kraftwerk is not as big of a deal since they've done Coachella before.

NoizeSelektor
04-09-2008, 09:38 PM
I agree. i love aphex. i was so happy about that. and personally modeselektor. who was originally on friday. andi bought a 3 day pass pretty quick, so thats 1 person.

zenidogx
04-09-2008, 09:41 PM
prince sold it for me. ive seen waters on the dsotm tour. i could never afford a prince ticket, nor do i go to arena shows. prince and waters are on the same level, but waters is a festival type, prince aint. edge to prince in this case.

WattsUp
04-09-2008, 09:42 PM
why wasnt the OTHER headliner included???

JACK JOHNSON PWNS ALL!

gratytrainridesagain
04-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Damn looking at all this just makes me think this is the best coach ever. Two of the best shows I've ever been to were Roger Waters and Prince, and I know all the others on that list will rock.

goodgrl
04-09-2008, 09:46 PM
This is truly what saved coach'08. The Prince add.
GV, kudos to the trick up the sleeve.

gratytrainridesagain
04-09-2008, 09:50 PM
I was fine with the original lineup then they announced aphex and I ran around the house for an hour screaming, and now Prince. Coachella 08 is the best one ever can't wait to see what they do for the tenth anniversary.

luckyface
04-09-2008, 09:52 PM
There are other acts I want to see more, but I think Prince is most valuable. Biggest name at the festival, his first US festival appearance ever, legend, etc. He alone probably would move the most tickets of all of the performers, as well.

betao
04-09-2008, 09:53 PM
im' almost afraid of the tenth anniversary. I'm afraid that people are going to think this coachella has set the bar for future coachella's, and that next year's wont live up to all the hype. i can see alot of people being disappointed in next years lineup, mainly saying "man last years was soooo much better".

goodgrl
04-09-2008, 09:58 PM
im' almost afraid of the tenth anniversary. I'm afraid that people are going to think this coachella has set the bar for future coachella's, and that next year's wont live up to all the hype. i can see alot of people being disappointed in next years lineup, mainly saying "man last years was soooo much better".

I thought the exact same thing.
Gotta remember how pissy pple were at this years lineup.
They did raise the bar. I thought aphex was the big surprise.

gratytrainridesagain
04-09-2008, 10:00 PM

What did we just witness today? No one thought this year could top last year's.

betao
04-09-2008, 10:03 PM
What did we just witness today? No one thought this year could top last year's.

Yeah but that doesnt mean its always going to happen. How often do major names like Aphex Twin and Prince get added to the lineup

gratytrainridesagain
04-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Yeah but that doesnt mean its always going to happen. How often do major names like Aphex Twin and Prince get added to the lineup

Oh I don't know 2 years ago maybe or is Madonna, Massive Attack, and Daft Punk not good enough?

coldstart
04-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Oh I don't know 2 years ago maybe or is Madonna, Massive Attack, and Daft Punk not good enough?

Ahem....and....uh, Tool?

Pixiessp
04-10-2008, 12:31 AM
Prince is cool. only really got into his early stuff though.
Roger Waters...ehhh. David Gilmour would peak my interest more but I will catch RW's show.
Have already seen Kraftwerk and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Aphex Twin I will definitely want to check out.
But it is Portishead that I have been dreaming about.
All in all this is going to be quite an event!!

gratytrainridesagain
04-10-2008, 12:49 AM
Ahem....and....uh, Tool?

I was just referring to late adds.

hypervera
04-10-2008, 12:56 AM
prince

elektrohead
04-10-2008, 01:58 AM
Kraftwerk

For obvious reasons:

They are the godfathers of electronic music and living music history. Not to mention that they are kinda unpredictable: You never know if you will ever have the chance to see them again AND Im a huge fan ;)

If I had a second vote I would go for Prince

fasttrack
04-10-2008, 02:06 AM
this post is going in before i've voted or looked at the results. i'll say prince by a landslide.

sbessiso
04-10-2008, 03:17 AM
duh.

TonyWonder
04-10-2008, 05:16 AM
Obviously Prince is literally the most valuable. I voted Portishead because I've wanted to see them for 12 years and will probably not get another opportunity. I'm amped for Aphex but he could be dissapointing. Roger Waters would be more "valuable" if he hadn't already been touring Dark Side so extensively. Kraftwerk played a few years ago (still can't wait!!)

I would put Goldfrapp and Mum in that 'other' category because they are pretty damn rare opportunities.

sbessiso
04-10-2008, 05:41 AM
hey tonywonder......KIDS IN THE HALL????

TonyWonder
04-10-2008, 06:12 AM
hey tonywonder......KIDS IN THE HALL????

Yeah, I'm seeing them live the night before I leave for Coachella. Always a great show...thought I'd sport a Grivo avatar.

sbessiso
04-10-2008, 06:17 AM
yeah you know what, I immediately googled tourdates and theyre gonna be around me in late may! i've never had the oportunity to see them, so i'm fucking excited, for some reason I always think they don't get along, then every so often they go on a tour or something

I'M CRUSHING YOUR HEAD!

edit: whoa, tickets are expensive

TonyWonder
04-10-2008, 06:25 AM
yeah you know what, I immediately googled tourdates and theyre gonna be around me in late may! i've never had the oportunity to see them, so i'm fucking excited, for some reason I always think they don't get along, then every so often they go on a tour or something

I'M CRUSHING YOUR HEAD!

You should go...who knows if they will ever tour again as the full group as there is def a little friction there. If you're a fan, you'll love it.

Here is one of my favorite skits, for your enjoyment "The Girl Drink Drunk":

epa5YZIJU8I

betao
04-10-2008, 06:32 AM

I was referring to "how often does it happen". OK, it happened in 2006. And 2008. Thats 2 out of 8 Coachellas. That is not very often.

nocigarettes
04-10-2008, 06:50 AM
PRINCE

jigsaw
04-10-2008, 08:28 AM
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p39/p_rock79/Untitled-1-1.jpg

paulb
04-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Portishead is pretty rare, but they have toured here before and all that. Same with Prince, the guy is american, he should have played a crap load of shows over his career here... Aphex Twin? now thats rare....

betao
04-10-2008, 05:39 PM
i'm glad that nobody has voted "other" so far.

sin213
04-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Hard choices...very hard. But Portishead has got to be it.

Dave Gravy
04-10-2008, 07:45 PM
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p39/p_rock79/Untitled-1-1.jpg

That's the dude from Shalamar.

faxman75
04-10-2008, 09:21 PM

Especially after all the bitching when this years lineup was announced. This whole board was going down in flames. Man people were fucking angry. Long long rants. Funny ass shit looking back at it. I fucking loved it from day one but holy shit look how many orgasms took place when Prince was announced.

betao
04-10-2008, 09:57 PM
Especially after all the bitching when this years lineup was announced. This whole board was going down in flames. Man people were fucking angry. Long long rants. Funny ass shit looking back at it. I fucking loved it from day one but holy shit look how many orgasms took place when Prince was announced.

I think alot of it had to do with Jack Johnson topping the bill. Seriously, that came from nowhere. But little did we know that he would consume nearly all of the US festival market.

BeHereNOW
04-10-2008, 11:08 PM
but holy shit look how many orgasms took place when Prince was announced.

only 10k on the solo at the polo club alone, lol

fikus222
04-10-2008, 11:34 PM
There aren't nearly enough Prince Avatars around the boards these days...

PORTISHEAD PORTISHEAD PORTISHEAD PORTISHEAD PORTISHEAD PORTISHEAD

clecirclecir@juno.com
04-10-2008, 11:44 PM
portishead and aphex are what i really do want to see, prince right up there but not = to. have to say that "third" was personally disappointing. my opinion only.

Pixiessp
04-12-2008, 03:43 PM
portishead and aphex are what i really do want to see, prince right up there but not = to. have to say that "third" was personally disappointing. my opinion only.

give it another listen. I did and now i really like it.

alex97
04-12-2008, 05:21 PM
PRINCE!

clecirclecir@juno.com
04-13-2008, 11:11 AM
give it another listen. I did and now i really like it.

after second listen, still no like. i actually would like to like it. too many songs just sound annoying to me. i love the S/T and Dummy.

daven
04-13-2008, 07:44 PM
ENTER SHIKARI!!!

carolinesgood
04-13-2008, 08:31 PM
i would have to go with raconteurs or an extreme unknown - kinda like gogol or wolfmother were past 'chelllas. such serious dra ma i leave to venture out for this fest for six of the past ocho. i still cant belove prince is out there this year... gotta start a next year wish list... keep the peace,c

erikua
04-15-2008, 08:01 AM
Ahem....and....uh, Tool?

and most importantly DEPECHE MODE! I can't believe people overlook them being @ Coachella.

mittens4kittens
04-15-2008, 10:06 PM
personally, I voted for waters. I ALMOST clicked on Prince, but I decided to vote for the underdog before I knew what the results were. Man, everyone went with my first instinct! I heard Purps got 4.5 mill... if by "most valuable" you mean most expensive I doubt anyone else is making that much, Waters included.

However, I voted for Rog because >>>

A) he was announced earlier in the lineup, generating perhaps more ticket sales than the announcement of Prince. I think there were a lot of people who were not feeling the heavy electro lineup this year (fools), but they see Dark Side and they're like, "oookay, I guess I'll spend 350."

B) While Prince is super sick live, and he DEFINITELY pulls more puss than Rog, I'd rather be tripping to Breathe than making out to Purple Rain...

C) Rog has a larger, more popular body of work that spans a wider breadth of time and genre.

my two cents

BlackSteve0
04-17-2008, 06:26 PM
Aphex, fuck Prince.

/Agreed

Memorial_07
04-19-2008, 06:35 AM
Prince is so god damn exclusive how could you not vote for him

Goodtoknow
04-19-2008, 04:17 PM
Prince is so god damn exclusive how could you not vote for him

i agree.

i don't see how anyone else on the board really compares...

yeah portishead and aphex twin are both near impossible to see these days but just based on popular appeal they don't even hold a candle to prince.

roger waters has already done his dark side of the moon for a while so he isn't really as exciting as he would be if it was his first time doing it.

i think its pretty obvious in terms of bringing in 'new' coachella goers prince has to most definitely take the cake.

but it is fun to think about the fact that portishead and aphex twin may never play the states again...not fun but makes me feel special and tingly inside.

electrokinesis
04-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Kraftwerk is the main reason I'm going. I paid $1000 to see them at Coachella 2004; they are THAT important to me!!!

So far, they are only playing four shows this year, with Coachella 2008 included.

This is only the fourth time that they have toured the US since 1981!

So with that said, it's obviously much more of a rarity to see them!

In addition to that, they don't release much new music these days, so whenever they are around, THE FANS GO APESHIT to try and make it to a show.

Now, with Prince added, this is truly a dream come true. I have been a fan of his since I was a kid, and I've never seen him live before. So this will definitely be a night to remember.

So, if I had to compare the two, Kraftwerk is hands down the most valuable act, but 95% of the attendees wouldn't know about it unless they were familiar with their history. Plus, Kraftwerk have always had a larger European, South American and Japanese following.

Here in the US, they are more of a cult act.

I'm just really suprised that the tickets prices haven't been gouged too high yet, like they were in 2004.

Goodtoknow
04-19-2008, 04:23 PM
So, if I had to compare the two, Kraftwerk is hands down the most valuable act, but 95% of the attendees wouldn't know about it unless they were familiar with their history. Plus, Kraftwerk have always had a larger European, South American and Japanese following.

you contradicted yourself pretty radically there buddy.

kraftwerk may be the most important to you but in real life, to the majority of people, the 95% you reference in your thread it is Prince. and anyways isn't kraftwerk playing another festival this summer?

cansei de ser sexme
04-19-2008, 04:46 PM
Jupiter's Rings.