PDA

View Full Version : Bumbershoot 2008 initial linep

AxYoung
04-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Beck, Stone Temple Pilots, Lucinda Williams, Neko Case, Ingrid Michaelson, Del Tha Funky Homosapien, Jakob Dylan, !!!, Lee “Scratch” Perry, Saul Williams, Joe Bonamassa, M. Ward, The Walkmen, Asylum St. Spankers, Dan Deacon, MIDIval PunditZ, Blitzen Trapper, Bedouin Soundclash, Tim Finn, Dale Watson, John Vanderslice, Final Fantasy, The Fall of Troy, Orgone, Forro in the Dark, Ryan Bingham, Wreckless Eric & Amy Rigby, Arthur & Yu, Darondo and Nino Moschella, Pacifika and many more to be announced.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2008/04/08/bumbershoot-gives-a-taste/

Sushov23
04-08-2008, 07:20 PM
this line up is sick for 80 dollars. WOW>

rage patton
04-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Ohhh... that's a good start. I have been checking the line up all day, I cant believe I missed this.

Sushov23
04-08-2008, 07:22 PM
new avatar RAGE. LOL, hopefully you can live with no MADNESS this year.

rage patton
04-08-2008, 07:26 PM
My new avatar keeps throwing me off.

Sushov, did you go to Bumbershoot last year? The Aggrolites played. They were amazing.

suprefan
04-08-2008, 07:31 PM
nice

dnham
04-08-2008, 07:32 PM
HOLY EFF!!! yess!!!

Sushov23
04-08-2008, 07:32 PM
no I didn't, but I saw them at Detour in October. I'm going to warped tour this summer just for them, and a few others, but mainly the aggrolites. I think you and I are the only two board members who are in love with the aggrolites.

rage patton
04-08-2008, 07:35 PM
no I didn't, but I saw them at Detour in October. I'm going to warped tour this summer just for them, and a few others, but mainly the aggrolites. I think you and I are the only two board members who are in love with the aggrolites.

Everyone should love the Aggrolites. I am driving 5 hours to make it to Warped Tour this year. And the main reason is the Aggrolites.
Bumbershoot was awesome last year though. The Avett Brothes, The Aggrolites and Gogol in one day was far to awesome.

Also, I will have a heart attack if Primus play Bumbershoot.

Sushov23
04-08-2008, 07:40 PM
80 dollars for the whole lineup is a great bargain, I'm thinking about it. Is there camping or cheap hotels or hostels in Seattle?

luckyface
04-08-2008, 07:42 PM
80 dollars for the whole lineup is a great bargain, I'm thinking about it. Is there camping or cheap hotels or hostels in Seattle?

There's camping. Hang a left behind the Key Center and you can camp with a bunch of people. You might want to have some change handy. Bring your own cardboard box.

Sushov23
04-08-2008, 07:43 PM
DAMN 220 for the airplane ticket. WOW, I can't believe I'm considering this now. I need an actual answer for cheap places to stay in seattle. PLEASE.

rage patton
04-08-2008, 07:44 PM
There's camping. Hang a left behind the Key Center and you can camp with a bunch of people. Bring your own cardboard box, though.

Hahahaha yeah, pretty much. Sorry Sushov, you gotta stay in a hotel. But they aren't that expensive. If I decide to go to this, maybe we could split a room? I am sure I could get a couple of other people too.
I probably won't decide definately on this until the Vegoose and Voodoo lineups come out though. That is, unless Primus get added. Then I will go.

Sushov23
04-08-2008, 07:45 PM
I'm actually doing the same waiting for the Vegoose line up, then I will decide. I would be down to split a room.

woogie846
04-08-2008, 07:48 PM
very nice!

rage patton
04-08-2008, 07:50 PM
I'm actually doing the same waiting for the Vegoose line up, then I will decide. I would be down to split a room.

Unfortunately, Vegoose won't likely be coming until late July. But the $80 tickets are available until August, so there is no rush.

Sushov23
04-08-2008, 07:52 PM
yeah, I like that flights are only 200 dollars or so, that in my budget this summer. My thing is i'm already doing Lollapalooza, Outsidelands, Rock The Bells, and Street Scene in sep, we will see how I feel energy wise.

chiapet
04-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Sushov, there are some hotels that are not that expensive and are really close - like around 1st through 9th ave before you get to the malls/shopping area where the more expensive chains are.

I'm there again this year, good excuse to visit seattle :)

rage patton
04-08-2008, 08:15 PM
yeah, I like that flights are only 200 dollars or so, that in my budget this summer. My thing is i'm already doing Lollapalooza, Outsidelands, Rock The Bells, and Street Scene in sep, we will see how I feel energy wise.

Well then, after the Vegoose line up comes out, we will have to talk. If we can get 4-5 people for a hotel room, it would be basically just as cheap as camping would be. I am hoping the Vegoose line up comes out early this year, considering all the other festivals line ups are.

Sushov23
04-08-2008, 08:15 PM
can you give me a price range?

superdeluxe
04-08-2008, 08:17 PM
I'm glad people are not ripping into the line-up, Bumbershoot is much much more than just about the music.

rage patton
04-08-2008, 08:20 PM
can you give me a price range?

When I was looking at hotels, I found a number they were only a couple blocks away, and cost about $150 per night. With 5 people, that would only be around $30 a night.

superdeluxe
04-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Man.

The PNW is stacked this year, Sasquatch, Pemberton, Capitol hill Block party, Sub pop festival, Bumbershoot.

Its like I won't even have to leave the northwest to get my music jones.

chiapet
04-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Yea, nicer stuff is at least $150/night, there are some that are a little below that. Or were. I just went checking and the hotels I was thinking of are already booked.

superdeluxe
04-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Try to book the executive best western near the space needle, It usually goes for around 100$ a night, although they might jack it up for the bumbershoot weekend.

And for those that have never done bumbershoot before, You generally stack the genres into one night. So for example, Beck and Stone Temple Pilot might play one night..and then the next night it might be Neko Case and Lucina Williams for example.

rage patton
04-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Usually it seems like the mainstage acts go by genre. However, I doubt STP and Beck will play the same night. This year will probably bee something like
Night 1: Beck + Primus (please?)
Night 2: STP + Filter
Night 3: Soulja Boy + Lil John

Hey, they got Fergie and Panic! At The Disco to headline last year, I don't think Soulja Boy is that far off...

orbit
04-08-2008, 09:00 PM
I'm glad pacifika is there.

paulb
04-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Wreckless Eric!? wow, that is highly unexpected...

flowbee
04-08-2008, 10:27 PM
I'll probably only be able to go on Monday.

Don't know a lot of the bands listed...yet

Trudeau
04-08-2008, 11:10 PM
I'll go just to see Beck.

MissBleu
04-09-2008, 06:12 PM
OK - first of all... Bumbershoot rules. I've been going since I was a wee one with my parents, and it's always a good time. Doesn't matter who's on the main stage or who you PLAN on seeing... there's always something unexpected that you'll talk about for years to come. My big bro dragged me to Spinal Tap when I was just eight years old. Good times.

Second, when all the big festivals are starting to sound the same (big glitzy stars with big glitzy price tags to match), I'm so glad my hometown festival always strives to be different. I mean seriously - Beck and William Gibson and some adult puppet show and the ballet all in one place? Come on! PLUS, I don't have to pinch pennies all freakin' summer to be able to afford to go. (I bought my weekend pass at christmas for just 60 bucks!)

That said, if you're planning on coming to Seattle, I suggest you book now. Those $200 flights you're seeing won't be around for long. Take it from me... every year my old college friends claim they'll be coming to visit during Bumbershoot weekend, and every year the procrastinators are baffled at the $450 flights they're seeing in July and August....

Also, just now I did a search for hotel rooms under $150 closer than 6 miles to Seattle Center (I used hotels.com). I came up with ten fitting that description. Tourists love to visit Seattle in the summer, and hotels become a hot commodity... so if you see something now, BOOK IT. If that sounds too expensive, you might try Craig's List to see if any local people would rent out a room or let you pitch a tent in their back yard... you never know!

p.s. i have a friend who works at vegoose. He said he doesn't think that fest is happening again... He's not the promoter, and just works there selling stuff, but he heard it was in dire straits. So.... you might not hold your breath on that one.

invisiblerobots
04-09-2008, 06:35 PM
Also:

Graphic novelists Dan Clowes and Adrian Tomine, sci-fi legend William Gibson, a special edition of Starlee Kine and Arthur Jones’ Post-It Note Reading Series, authors Nathan McCall, Francesca Lia-Block, Kevin Sessums, and more.

clecirclecir@juno.com
04-09-2008, 06:47 PM
there are some nice campgrounds in Bellevue, you just want to check ferry times. i love seattle and used to live near there...much better than Texas and NC. where i'm at now i think i will be headed up for this.

wmgaretjax
04-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Bumbershoot is OK. the sound tends to suck. people are laid back, lots of nummy food. normally is kind of boring. but the cheap price tag pays off. I don't usually go unless there is someone I really want to see, or I get a free ticket.

invisiblerobots
04-09-2008, 07:09 PM
there are some nice campgrounds in Bellevue, you just want to check ferry times. i love seattle and used to live near there...much better than Texas and NC. where i'm at now i think i will be headed up for this.

What does getting from Bellevue to Seattle have to do with ferry times? And where are you intending to camp in Bellevue?

wmgaretjax
04-09-2008, 07:11 PM
What does getting from Bellevue to Seattle have to do with ferry times? And where are you intending to camp in Bellevue?

hahahahahaha. I bet there are some big lawns in Medina worth checking out.

invisiblerobots
04-09-2008, 07:43 PM
Bumbershoot is OK. the sound tends to suck. people are laid back, lots of nummy food. normally is kind of boring. but the cheap price tag pays off. I don't usually go unless there is someone I really want to see, or I get a free ticket.

I agree that it's not the greatest, they've certainly had their share of shitty headliners and the sound is all over the place. I like the vibe though and there's at least a few things that I find worth checking out each year.

I'm not sure if Martha Stewart still has her house over in Medina but I'm sure she has a lovely pergola worth crashing for the camping inclined with just that little extra touch. Bill G would probably set the hounds loose.

sbessiso
04-09-2008, 08:06 PM
gaaaa why is Beck only playing the west coast?????

clecirclecir@juno.com
04-09-2008, 08:52 PM

er, I meant Bremerton...chemically imbalanced during 1st entry is my excuse and i'm not smart.

boyalien0
04-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Best looking lineup in years so far. I'm so there. Just over Queen Anne Hill, baby!

superdeluxe
04-09-2008, 09:08 PM
I agree that it's not the greatest, they've certainly had their share of shitty headliners and the sound is all over the place. I like the vibe though and there's at least a few things that I find worth checking out each year.

I'm not sure if Martha Stewart still has her house over in Medina but I'm sure she has a lovely pergola worth crashing for the camping inclined with just that little extra touch. Bill G would probably set the hounds loose.

If you are only going for the music acts, many times you will be disappointed.

Sushov23
04-09-2008, 10:25 PM
my buddy just invited me to Austin City Limits(hotel and tickets paid for), so RAGE sorry I think i'm going to pass on this, all I gotta pay is 250 or so for a plane ticket, I think i'm gonna go the austin route this year.

invisiblerobots
04-09-2008, 10:38 PM
If you are only going for the music acts, many times you will be disappointed.

Oh, I'm well aware. I've been going since the mid 80s and I live a block from Seattle Center. I know my Bumbershoot.

invisiblerobots
04-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Best looking lineup in years so far. I'm so there. Just over Queen Anne Hill, baby!

boyalien0, where are you located? Fremont, Ballard?

superfiction
04-09-2008, 10:46 PM
where the fuck is there camping in bellevue?

marked12345
04-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Bumbershoot is going to be really good can't wait for some Del and STP will definitely put on a good show. Found a Playlist of the leaked lineup for Bumbershoot (http://www.nutsie.com/playlist/index/2358175?autoplay=true&id=2358175&user_id=289575) as well, really good stuff!

AxYoung
05-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Rage and Prince to be added?

http://consequenceofsound.net/2008/05/08/prince-and-rage-against-the-machine-playing-bumbershoot/

suprefan
05-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Geez, they really want to spend like over 5 million just on 2 acts alone huh? The festival will go broke just on those bookings alone. And its not a sure fire sell out if they do get added.

AxYoung
05-08-2008, 06:52 PM
They already have Beck and STP announced. I say it probably would be.

suprefan
05-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Beck isnt expensive, STP is though. They dont have the budget Coachella has to book such high profile acts.

Sushov23
05-08-2008, 07:07 PM
if Bumbershoot can pull those two artists, much props to them.

paulb
05-08-2008, 07:27 PM
oh im 1000000000000000000000000000000000000% there if RATM are there.

luckyface
05-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Prince and Rage would cost them the same amount as what they have spent total on musicians the last few years combined. Where are they getting this money from?

Sushov23
05-08-2008, 07:33 PM
it could have come a bit cheaper.

sbessiso
05-08-2008, 07:35 PM
prince? it's not happening

Sushov23
05-08-2008, 07:38 PM
I think RATM is setting up a late summer tour. They have to be, with the election and everything. I'm pretty sure everyone on here already thought about this, IT WILL HAPPEN.

chiapet
05-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Yea, I'm not buying RATM and Prince. I am going though. Tickets already purchased, hotel booked. Haven't picked flights yet but will do that in a month or so once I'm sure which day I am leaving.

Granted I am only a 1 yr veteran, but I have to say that Bumbershoot had an awesome vibe. In/outs are allowed and there is a ton of stuff to do in the neighborhood, so it's an awesome excuse to spend Labor Day weekend in Seattle, because if there is a gap between bands you want to see, you can just go do something else. I had a really great time last year and saw a lot of bands I might not have normally checked out (and ended up liking).

luckyface
05-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Seriously, how are they going to afford paying both Prince and Rage, let alone another few dozen acts? They are charging $80 for a 3 day pass, and the location is relatively small from what I hear.

sbessiso
05-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Beck is more than enough

flowbee
05-08-2008, 07:53 PM
I also enjoy going to those movie screenings they have at Bumbershoot. Lots to do besides the bands and yes, thats one good thing Bumbershoot has over Coachella, in and out all day access.

STP, Beck, Ludacris as headliners are plenty for Bumbershoot standards.

sbessiso
05-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Luda too??

hot damn!

flowbee
05-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Yep, added this month. He has a new album coming out in September

sbessiso
05-08-2008, 08:14 PM
hot damn!

rage patton
05-08-2008, 11:24 PM
Prince and Rage would be too good to be true.

rage patton
05-13-2008, 01:45 PM
Weird. Ludacris just cancelled.

paulb
05-13-2008, 01:57 PM
makin room for A Tribe Called Quest again and Rage...

superdeluxe
05-14-2008, 08:16 PM
The All-American Rejects, Paramore, Band of Horses, The Black Keys, Sons & Daughters and Estelle

Added

paulb
05-14-2008, 08:26 PM
hell yes. 6 more reasons to go.

Sushov23
05-14-2008, 08:30 PM
I love 5 of those additions.

rage patton
05-14-2008, 11:47 PM
The Black Keys? FUCK YES!

chiapet
05-28-2008, 08:05 PM
Just got this in the mail:

Hey BumberFan --

Read on for the latest news including:
A slew of new artist announcements
Which of your favorite comedians are joining the lineup
Details on a brand new comedy pass system (so you can see comedy without
spending the weekend queuing up)
An Insider Deal on single day tickets

JUST ANNOUNCED!
Hot off the presses (er, email servers), the list of those just added to the
2008 Bumbershoot lineup:

T.I. / Keyshia Cole / Adele / Minus the Bear / Battles / Aiden / Unearth /
Sondre Lerche / The Whigs / Thao with The Get Down Stay Down / Langhorne
Slim & The War Eagles / These Arms Are Snakes / The Blakes / Mark Pickerel &
His Praying Hands / Barcelona / Kinski / Throw Me The Statue / J-Boogie's
Dubtronic Science / Tyrone Wells / Howlin Rain / Monotonix / The Shackeltons
/ Star Anna / West Indian Girl / Ravens & Chimes / Hadley Caliman Quintet
featuring Thomas Marriott / Grynch / The Hands / Joshua Morrison / Matt
Jorgensen +451 / Chester French / PWRFL Power / The Girls

These artists join Beck, Stone Temple Pilots, Paramore and loads of other
artists previously announced. Check out the most up-to-date artist roster,
listed by day, at
http://www.bumbershoot.org/lineup.htm?utm_source=plaintxt&utm_medium=email&u
tm_campaign=0528. Complete lineup and detailed schedule will be revealed
mid-July.

COMEDY
Last year the clamor for comedy was obvious as Bumbershoot's comedy stages
grew to be 3-strong. If you haven't checked out this popular part of the
Festival, it'll be easier this year to claim your seat for a show with a
brand new comedy pass system. Great news considering the 2008 comedy lineup
includes Zach Galifianakis, Doug Benson, Aziz Ansari, Jessi Klein, Karen
Kilgariff, Michelle Buteau, Hannibal Buress, and Tig! More featured shows
and regional comedy to be announced mid-July.

Now, what's this talk about a new comedy pass? To allow more fans the chance
to see a show (without having to wait in line all weekend) Bumbershoot is
kicking off a free pass system that will guarantee pass holders general
admission to one comedy show per day. Passes will be available at 11am each
day at a Comedy Pass Distribution booth, while supplies last. For more info
on the new comedy pass system (and how to stand by for shows for which you
don't have a pass), visit
http://www.bumbershoot.org/festival-faq.htm#incom?utm_source=plaintxt&utm_me
dium=email&utm_campaign=0528.

Insider DEAL!
You're not JUST a BumberFan... you're a true Insider. And to reward your
devout love for the Festival you get this granddaddy of all offers: The
Insider Deal. That's right. YOU, my Insider friend, can buy single
day-specific tickets to the Festival for a mere $25 / day -- chump change!
To decide which days you want, first check out the lineup sorted by day at
http://www.bumbershoot.org/lineup.htm?utm_source=plaintxt&utm_medium=email&u
tm_campaign=0528.
The Insider Deal is available exclusively at:
http://www.bumbershoot.org/tickets/promo.htm?access=BUMBERGOODY&utm_source=p
laintxt&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=0528. Use your promo code BUMBERGOODY,
and save a whopping $15 per ticket!

This is a limited offer which will expire without notice when discounted
tickets sell out. Once the Insider Deal is over, the $25 daily tickets will
no longer be available anywhere, so don't say we didn't warn you!

Ticket Information
You can also buy discounted 3-day passes NOW at bumbershoot.org. Single
day-specific tickets will be available to the public Tuesday, July 15 at
bumbershoot.org, Ticketmaster outlets, or by calling 206.628.0888. Single
day-specific tickets are $35 through August 15, and $40 thereafter. For more
ticket information, visit
http://www.bumbershoot.org/tickets.htm?utm_source=plaintxt&utm_medium=email&
utm_campaign=0528.

See ya, BumberFan!

sbessiso
05-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Heidi! you're going to OLS AND bumbershoot???

you mean to tell me youre gunna see beck two weeks in a row??

fuck, I refuse to continue my life loving Beck this much and still having never seen him live

and !!! are fucking AWESOME, theyre playing the same time as raconteurs at bonnaroo; thats a conflict that stung

boarderwoozel3
05-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Oh snap! I'm going for Battles!

boarderwoozel3
05-28-2008, 08:35 PM
And suprise! A ton of Sub-Pop bands, how Seattle-esque.

sbessiso
05-28-2008, 08:36 PM
you guys should throw your panties to beck, for me

boarderwoozel3
05-28-2008, 08:46 PM
Will do. On the condition he doesn't conflict with Battles.

sbessiso
05-28-2008, 09:01 PM
schweet!

and doubtful. He's a headliner, i'm sure battles will play earlier.

(i'm glad I caught them at coach, never heard of them before)

boarder, will you remind me your name? forgive me, I cant even remember classmates' names (i'm Salah)

chiapet
05-28-2008, 10:07 PM
sbessiso, the 'headliners' at Bumbershoot play on the main stage, and there are definitely other bands that play at the same time (for example, I saw Gogol Bordello - or could have seen Rodrigo y Gabriela - at the same time as Panic at the Disco last year :P On the up side they post their set times very early so you can decide before you buy.

But yes, I will be seeing Beck twice in less than two weeks. Panties? I guess I'll leave that to Jeff.

I am pretty excited about all the Seattle band additions, since this time they are ones I have actually heard of (but have been too lazy to catch so far).

sbessiso
05-28-2008, 10:15 PM
i'm hoping to come into some money, then i'll be hitting OSL, and ACL

beck once? naah

i'm so happy you're seeing !!!, i had the pleasure of seeing them at langerado and they blew me away

and I get it, but battles is pretty small time, no?

and it just sunk in, he'd choose them over beck??? thats intense

wmgaretjax
05-28-2008, 10:17 PM
I'll be there for battle. PWRFL Power is playing too, very cool, that guy is a sweetheart.

chiapet
05-28-2008, 10:22 PM
and it just sunk in, he'd choose them over beck??? thats intense

Well, if I didn't like Beck, I could see doing that. The headliners are in a huge stadium, Battles will probably be on a smallish stage mid-day.

I actually didn't go see any headliners last year because it is a hassle to be herded in and out of that area.

I hope you come into money and come to OSL. Personally, I think Bumbershoot will end up being more fun (not to mention, is a lot cheaper - < $100 for 3 days). (I am biased and perhaps temporarily enchanted with Seattle).

sbessiso
05-28-2008, 10:27 PM
oh dont get me wrong, i would love to hit bumbershoot nasty style, but believe it or not, plane tickets to seattle are fucking EXPENSIVE!

between you and me, i just feel like beck is going to put on the best show at OSL, i have nothing to back this statement up, its just a gut feeling, the same feeling for some reason makes me feel like his show at ACL will be sub-par

i'm just looking way too much into it

JSam67
05-28-2008, 10:44 PM
Will do. On the condition he doesn't conflict with Battles.

Whoa, you would really choose Battles over Beck? You can see Battles literally any time you want, anywhere. They're not bad, but wow, if I had the chance to see Beck, there would be no conflict whatsoever.

sbessiso
05-28-2008, 10:52 PM
which is why you reek of awesome. but we all knew that, no?

rage patton
05-29-2008, 12:45 AM
Barcelona? I really hope they mean I'm From Barcelona.

EDIT: They don't. Hmmm... looking at the day by day, I really want to go Saturday and Sunday, but could skip Monday. I only say the because when I talked to Battles at the airport after Coachella, they told me they were playing Vancouver on September 2. However missing Del and Bedouin Soundclash would bum me out. Also, Saul Williams performaing Saturday and Sunday?

superfiction
05-29-2008, 11:33 AM
yeah im only going saturday and sunday

chiapet
05-29-2008, 03:36 PM
I think I'm in for all three days though I might cut Monday short (or arrive late), depending on the actual set times.

rage patton
06-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Fuck! The All American Rejects cancelled guys! Now there is aboslutely no reason to go to Bumbershoot.

But seriously... who is headlining Monday?

chiapet
06-11-2008, 01:43 PM
No headliner, there's Battles, Bedouin Soundclash, Minus the Bear, but nothing really strong. Hopefully some adds coming up.

rage patton
06-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Unless it is Rage or someone big like that, I am gonna skip Monday. Battles is playing the day after in Vancouver. It will suck to miss Bedouin and Del... but sacrifices must be made.

paulb
06-11-2008, 02:25 PM
The Offspring should headline... they are back in the states in August.

Boourns
06-14-2008, 08:30 PM
I was just invited to Bumbershoot by someone I know in Seattle. It's $99 to fly there out of Long Beach on August 29th and $115 to fly back on the second. Any chances they'll add someone really good? There are some acts I want to see and I think it would be fun to check out Seattle.

I'm looking at the website now. So you have to wait in line for a wristband for main stage and comedy shows? Is that messy or painless?

HOLY MONK...PRINCE AND RAGE? If Prince plays, I am fucking there. Otherwise, so far I want to see Beck, Neko Case, Band of Horses, Saul Williams, Battles, Kid Sister, Thao w/ the Get Down Stay Down, Final Fantasy, comedy, Dan Clowes, etc.

chiapet
06-14-2008, 09:16 PM
I'm looking at the website now. So you have to wait in line for a wristband for main stage and comedy shows? Is that messy or painless?

It's not bad at all, provided that you enter the festival early-ish in the day (ie, not right before the headliners). It's just a second ticket/pass which is needed to enter the main stage during the evening shows. It's because there is a limited capacity for the stadium where it's held (versus the other stages which don't really have a capacity). I waited in line at most for a couple of minutes last year.

The comedy passes, on the other hand, are new this year, and it sounds like a great alternative to just having to queue up all day for a comedy show.

Boourns
06-14-2008, 11:30 PM
How many people come to this on a given day? I think I heard/read 150,000, so I'm assuming 50,000 each day.

chiapet
06-18-2008, 06:22 PM
Email today:

The Offspring, Nada Surf, Old 97's and Flobots have joined the 2008 Bumbershoot lineup! Check out the most up-to-date artist roster, listed by day, at http://www.bumbershoot.org/lineup.htm. Complete lineup and detailed schedule will be revealed mid-July.

Also:
Single day-specific tickets on sale for $25/each at http://www.bumbershoot.org/tickets/promo.htm with code BUMBERGOODY

Sushov23
06-18-2008, 06:33 PM
I was giving this lineup a good look at, and it is a GREAT lineup. WOW.

chiapet
06-18-2008, 06:35 PM
It's definitely not bad considering the cost, especially as you can bring in outside food & drink and go in/out.

Boourns
06-18-2008, 06:44 PM
People actually still listen to the Offspring? Gross.

shakermaker113
06-18-2008, 10:25 PM
People actually still listen to the Offspring? Gross.

agreed.

rage patton
06-18-2008, 11:54 PM

Wow. Good call.

I am really not sure what I should do about Bumbershoot... I might just wait until the schedule comes out.

Sushov23
06-19-2008, 12:12 AM
DAMN I feel the same way RAGE. This is under consideration again, fucking bumbershoot.

suprefan
06-19-2008, 12:17 AM
I was giving this lineup a good look at, and it is a GREAT lineup. WOW.

Cause the Offspring are playing? Man, you need a new batch of cds....

Sushov23
06-19-2008, 12:33 AM
You are funny supre. The lineup is really good.

chiapet
06-19-2008, 07:18 AM
agreed.

Well, I haven't listened to them since college, and can't remember more than 3 songs, but for some reason I would actually like to see them.

shakermaker113
06-19-2008, 07:39 AM
Well, I haven't listened to them since college, and can't remember more than 3 songs, but for some reason I would actually like to see them.

those 3 songs were probably just 1 song released 3 times.

paulb
07-12-2008, 02:48 AM
well, they just added Death Cab as a headliner for their last date, and a bunch of bands...and their settimes... set times look pretty awful.

Just added to complete the 2008 Festival lineup:
Death Cab For Cutie / Superchunk / Tapes ‘n Tapes / The Weakerthans / Two Gallants / Sweet Water / Cheb I Sabbah & 1002 Nights featuring Riffat Sultana / Vicci Martinez / Black Eyes and Neckties / Tiptons Sax Quartet / Mono in VCF / Thee Emergency / Vince Mira / Manooghi Hi / Feral Children / Speaker Speaker / The Physics / The Tripwires / Sage / Grieves / Choklate / Das Vibenbass / The Valley / Velella Velella / The Maldives / Shim / Shane Tutmarc & The Traveling Mercies / Mariee Sioux / The Round (featuring Damien Jurado, Jen Wood, Buddy Wakefield and others) / The Lonely H / Nick Vigarino / The Staxx Brothers / Lushy / New Faces / School of Rock: Northwest All-Stars / Jazz Northwest: WSU Faculty Ensemble

suprefan
07-12-2008, 02:51 AM
Hmmm, so they added the rest of the local bands. Oh Paul, were you ever gonna take your George Carlin date off your list? Just saying, but I know why you would keep it.

Boourns
07-12-2008, 03:44 AM
Hahaha, so the Prince/Rage thing wasn't true? Big shocker.

chiapet
07-12-2008, 06:52 AM
Hahaha, so the Prince/Rage thing wasn't true? Big shocker.

Did anyone believe that it was?

I'm kinda annoyed, all the bands i want to see are playing at the same time.

rage patton
07-12-2008, 09:31 AM
Wow... Saul Williams vs Man Man? Nada Surf vs Beck? And the biggest fail of all... Stone Temple Pilots vs Lee "Sratch" Perry? These set times really suck ass. I was planning on going Saturday and Sunday... but I'm not sure if its worth it anymore.

paulb
07-12-2008, 09:45 AM
Hmmm, so they added the rest of the local bands. Oh Paul, were you ever gonna take your George Carlin date off your list? Just saying, but I know why you would keep it.

6 weeks after his death, just like he says...

Hannahrain
07-13-2008, 10:56 PM
http://www.austinchronicle.com/binary/f28d/screens_feature-39722.jpeg

Edit. She's in the announcement email, but not on the set times. Hm.

superfiction
07-14-2008, 12:50 PM
im stoked. 3 days kickin it at seattle center with beck, stp, and dcfc im in dudes.

rage patton
07-14-2008, 11:48 PM
I think I may actually skip Bumbershoot now.

Sushov23
07-14-2008, 11:53 PM
yeah i'm out of this for sure now.

full on idle
07-14-2008, 11:56 PM
Good riddance to bad rubbish. Looks awesome. Neko's pretty early but it'll give us some time to roam which is the fantasticingest part. T.I.! Weakerthans! Lee Scratch Perry! Happy happy happy.

Hannahrain
07-14-2008, 11:59 PM
Valarie, my companions and I are looking into a good tattoo parlor near Seattle Center if you want to come do something potentially regrettable later in life with us.

rage patton
07-14-2008, 11:59 PM
Ouch. That hurt Valarie. It is a good line up, but the conflicts suck and I bought a whole bunch of tickets to other shows this weekend, so it doesn't look like Bumbershoot is in the cards for me. Buuuuut... money hasn't stoped my from going to shows before, for the most part, so I may still make it.

full on idle
07-15-2008, 12:08 AM
No pain intended! I don't use cliche for pain, I use it for a thread swingaround. Personally, I'm excited. How many festivals do you need really? Bumbershoot's about a different, more casual type of experience with regards to the music for me. Conflicts be damned, it's not crunch time.

Hannah - ohhhhhhhhhh you're tempting me to ink on you-know-what. Also, being that I'm in later life currently, what's to regret? Amirite?

Hannahrain
07-15-2008, 12:13 AM
I actually think when I finish paying off my credit card I'm going to get something along the lines of that with some other sprigs added, sort of modeled after the way some people get laurels and banners on their breastplate. But without the banners or the laurels. Less traditional, more botanical.

wmgaretjax
07-15-2008, 12:15 AM
Valarie, my companions and I are looking into a good tattoo parlor near Seattle Center if you want to come do something potentially regrettable later in life with us.

Bus 8 will take you up to Laughing Buddha on Capitol Hill (5 minutes away). I highly recommend it.

kreutz2112
07-15-2008, 12:18 AM
sternum.

superfiction
07-15-2008, 01:20 AM
Ouch. That hurt Valarie. It is a good line up, but the conflicts suck and I bought a whole bunch of tickets to other shows this weekend, so it doesn't look like Bumbershoot is in the cards for me. Buuuuut... money hasn't stoped my from going to shows before, for the most part, so I may still make it.

i better see your ass there josh.

because if i dont have a 20 minute conversation with someone i met on the internet she wont think im weird anymore

Backwater
07-15-2008, 01:35 AM

The Offspring headlining over STP? Ouch. That's like Blink 182 or Green Day headlining over The Smashing Pumpkins or Pearl Jam.

superfiction
07-15-2008, 01:51 AM
The Offspring headlining over STP? Ouch. That's like Blink 182 or Green Day headlining over The Smashing Pumpkins or Pearl Jam.

in my mind the offspring are bigger than death cab for cutie. but i dont really care either way

Backwater
07-15-2008, 03:08 AM
STP, not DCFC, they blow.

superfiction
07-15-2008, 09:26 AM
i dont think he was saying headilne over stp. i think he was saying they should headline a day. and stp arent even closing the festival dcfc is...and the offspring are playing mid day on the same day...so im not sure i really follow you...but whatever

rage patton
07-15-2008, 09:29 AM
i better see your ass there josh.

because if i dont have a 20 minute conversation with someone i met on the internet she wont think im weird anymore

Haha, did your girlfriend think it was weird we talked for so long at Sasquatch? Well... I still might go to Bumbershoot. Gotta figure out funds first though.
Hmmm... check your PM.

GnarVee
08-01-2008, 07:17 PM
got (2) 3 day passes to get rid of......170 for both....call 408-348-2952 asap!

flowbee
08-27-2008, 05:00 PM
http://www.bumbershoot.org/lineup.htm

Final lineup with set times. Not bad, no Coachella though. I'm going. What sucks is I can't make the Sunday lineup so will miss STP.

chiapet
08-27-2008, 06:00 PM
That sucks - Sunday looks like the best day. The other days have bands I want to see but not stuff throughout the day. I will need to check out some myspace band stuff at the airport tomorrow, I think.

sbessiso
08-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Beck has a perfect timeslot and 90 minutes to boot! please dont miss him Heidi

Geno_g
08-27-2008, 09:34 PM
My friend in seattle is going to this, capital hill rocks, hit up the Stumbling Monk, sweet Belgium bar...

Check out Dan Decon on sunday, that shit was nuts at Coachella

rage patton
08-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Anyone here live in Seattle? I am looking for a place to stay. All the hotels by Seattle centre and downtown Seattle are compltely booked up... and expensive as hell. If anyone could help me out, I would be willing to pay whatever they see fit for me crashing at their place. Let me know ASAP. Thanks.

chiapet
08-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Salah, I'm not sure yet - he is playing at the same time as !!!.... and I'll be seeing Beck next month.

i am in seattle tonight!

rage patton
08-28-2008, 11:13 PM
Thanks to Shakermaker, I am going. And thanks to wmgaretjax, I have a place to stay.

I love this board. If you see me there this weekend, say hi.

boarderwoozel3
08-28-2008, 11:15 PM
Bus 8 will take you up to Laughing Buddha on Capitol Hill (5 minutes away). I highly recommend it.

Good call. One of the better if not the best places in the city.

chiapet
08-30-2008, 11:38 PM
I think Thao & the get down stay down were the highlight for me today - much better than I'd been expecting. Man Man was good too but they really cut their set a bit short, didn't they? (they were scheduled for 75 min, came on about 10 min late and played for < 45 min).

paulb
08-31-2008, 02:31 AM
lame, did u see Band of Horses?

flowbee
08-31-2008, 02:46 AM
Shit, Chester French cancelled...Was kind of looking forward to hearing them live. I'm a sucker for those catchy retro pop sounds.

rage patton
08-31-2008, 08:14 AM
I dont care how long Man Man played... they absolutelt killed yesterday. So fucking good. It was crazy. Really great crowd too. Everyone around me was really into it.
Beck was great too yesterday. I felt bad though, he has MAJOR sound issues at the beginning. You could barely hear his voice and it sounded kind of echo-y. Also the entire mix was really quiet. But Opening up with Loser was awesome. Twas a good day yesterday. Black Keys should be awesome today. I don't know who else I am seeing, but I am sure I will enjoy it.

superfiction
08-31-2008, 09:57 AM
I dont care how long Man Man played... they absolutelt killed yesterday. So fucking good. It was crazy. Really great crowd too. Everyone around me was really into it.
Beck was great too yesterday. I felt bad though, he has MAJOR sound issues at the beginning. You could barely hear his voice and it sounded kind of echo-y. Also the entire mix was really quiet. But Opening up with Loser was awesome. Twas a good day yesterday. Black Keys should be awesome today. I don't know who else I am seeing, but I am sure I will enjoy it.

wtf josh how did i not see you yesterday! i better see you today. i mean, seriously youre hard to miss.

chiapet
hrm... that makes me not sorry I skipped beck :) (I'll be seeing him next month). I found the set list elsewhere and it just doesn't impress me. Don't get me wrong, Man Man was great, I just was surprised that they cut the set so short.

There's not a lot going on early today that I'm interested in (but if any of you PNW people are reading and have suggestions, let me know - I haven't heard of most of the people opening stages today). Here's what I'm thinking: the Blakes, These Arms are Snakes, the Whigs, a little bit of Jakob Dylan, then the Black Keys and STP.

superfiction
Shit, Chester French cancelled...Was kind of looking forward to hearing them live. I'm a sucker for those catchy retro pop sounds.

dude seriously. i was fucking PISSED when i found out. i thought i was the only one who knew who they were

chiapet
08-31-2008, 09:59 AM
dude seriously. i was fucking PISSED when i found out. i thought i was the only one who knew who they were

the band replacing them sounds like they'd be interesting though. I'm planning on checking them out tomorrow.

superfiction
08-31-2008, 10:01 AM
the band replacing them sounds like they'd be interesting though. I'm planning on checking them out tomorrow.

chester french was one of my number one acts to see this weekend. in fact they were the only non headlining act i cared about. so....i dont think id be very open to the idea of anybody else

rage patton
09-02-2008, 01:22 AM
Monotonix were the best act of the weekend. The best 10 minute set ever. They were suposed to play for an hour, but they shut down the show because shit was getting to rowdy.
Bumbershoot was a blast this weekend. Monday was definately the best day. Every band I saw was awesome. All in all, it was a great weekend.
And again, a very special thanks to Jared for letting me and my buddy stay at his place.

wtf josh how did i not see you yesterday! i better see you today. i mean, seriously youre hard to miss.

Im glad you spotted me today man. The Offspring were pretty fun, eh?

paulb
09-02-2008, 01:33 AM
you fucker...tell me about it.

flowbee
09-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Putting the Flobots in that tiny indoor stage was lame. I figured a lot of people would want to go, kind of like how everyone was curious to see MGMT at Coachella but talk about cluster****. At least with a tent you can hear them from the outside. Got there 40 minutes early and the line was already shut down. What a cattle drive. Then I figured we'd hit a comedy show instead, and yea that was full too. So went out and got some thai and a couple beers instead.

The good thing is I only payed $25 for the ticket on a presale so I can't be upset.

Sushov23
09-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Putting the Flobots in that tiny indoor stage was lame. I figured a lot of people would want to go, kind of like how everyone was curious to see MGMT at Coachella but talk about cluster****. At least with a tent you can hear them from the outside. Got there 40 minutes early and the line was already shut down. What a cattle drive. Then I figured we'd hit a comedy show instead, and yea that was full too. So went out and got some thai and a couple beers instead.

The good thing is I only payed $25 for the ticket on a presale so I can't be upset.

The Flobots are fun live.

chiapet
09-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Monotonix were the best act of the weekend. The best 10 minute set ever. They were suposed to play for an hour, but they shut down the show because shit was getting to rowdy.

That was amazing, and unfortunately not surprising that it got shut down so quickly. They're in SF tonight but I'm really sick... trying to drag myself out to the show nonetheless. The place they're playing has a ~100 person capacity.

paulb
09-02-2008, 04:32 PM
what happened during their set that got it shut down?

chiapet
09-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Nothing that nuts, I think it's just the context of the venture (exhibition hall stage at bumbershoot) - it is small, they didn't have much security on hand, the venue doesn't allow moshing/etc. I'm sure it was much tamer than their performances usually are, the security was just not having it at all.

wmgaretjax
09-02-2008, 09:21 PM
Bumbershoot was a blast this weekend. Monday was definately the best day. Every band I saw was awesome. All in all, it was a great weekend.
And again, a very special thanks to Jared for letting me and my buddy stay at his place.

Bummed I didn't make it out on Monday like I'd hoped. I am happy you enjoyed Feral Children though! It was a pleasure meeting you even though I didn't get to join you in celebrating the tunes...

rage patton
09-03-2008, 11:49 AM
what happened during their set that got it shut down?

I posted a mini review on Monotonix in the Upcomming shows thread, but I may as well repost it here since it got burried over there. So here it is...

So I walk into the indoor venue at Bumbershoot... and I see the band was set up right on the floor. They had a stage, but choose to play on the floor. The crowd tried to surround the band as soon as they started, but the security guards were preventing people from going behind the band. Within a minute, security couldn't hold everyone off and the band was encircled by the crowd. Soon there after, people were crowd surfing falling on top of the band members, the lead singer crowd surfed inside of a garbage can, and the guitarist climbed up the crowd members until to he was crowd surfing. I met a guy after the show who has a bloody mouth because he was hit in the teeth with the guitarists guitar. The crowd embraced the chos, unforunately the venue didn't. It was beautiful.
With that being said, the lead singer was really cool about it. He told the crowd he was so thankful that everyone enjoyed the show and was having fun, but he asked the crowd to be respectful of the venue and leave peacefully as instructed. At least, I think thats what he said, it was hard to tell through his thick Isreali accent. I got a picture with him too. I will hopefully post it later.

Bummed I didn't make it out on Monday like I'd hoped. I am happy you enjoyed Feral Children though! It was a pleasure meeting you even though I didn't get to join you in celebrating the tunes...

Ah, that sucks you didn't make it out for Battles man. They were awesome, as always. Last night in Vancouver was wicked too. Their encore was incredible. They played IPT2 and ended with Bad Trails. They also played a song I didnt recognize in between... maybe a new song?
But yeah man, pleasure indeed. Maybe next year you could join for some tunes aswell.

wmgaretjax
09-03-2008, 11:55 AM
Dammit, that sounds awesome.

That Monotronix show sounds great as well, sounds like the No Age/Mika Miko show that was in Seattle a couple weeks back...

rage patton
09-03-2008, 11:57 AM
I still have to listen to No Age like you suggested. I will grab their album tonight. If that is what their shows are like, I really wanna check em out.

wmgaretjax
09-03-2008, 12:00 PM
I still have to listen to No Age like you suggested. I will grab their album tonight. If that is what their shows are like, I really wanna check em out.

They weren't quite that rowdy, but Mika Miko definitely was.

chiapet
09-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Soon there after, people were crowd surfing falling on top of the band members, the lead singer crowd surfed inside of a garbage can, and the guitarist climbed up the crowd members until to he was crowd surfing.

That was pretty great, I couldn't see a lot of it because I'm short, I wonder if I actually got any pictures of it. Still, it wasn't that insane compared to what I've heard their shows to be.

rage patton
09-03-2008, 04:07 PM
I am pretty tall, so I saw a decent amount of it. Also, I slowly made my way close and closer until I could see the three guys encircled by the crowd. Trust me, it was pretty nuts. The guitarist actually just leaned his back against the crowd and started walking up the drumset, until he was crowdsurfing. All while playing the guitar too. It was nuts. It happened right beside me. I could imagine the show only getting crazier and crazier as it went on.
There are a bunch of youtube videos of their "set" at Bumbershoot... but it wont let me watch them for some reason. Can someone else try and upload em here? Maybe I could watch em then.

chiapet
09-03-2008, 04:13 PM
I was actually very close at the beginning but tall people moved in front of me and I didn't feel like fighting my way back in front of them (figured things were going to get out of control quickly). But I could see the crowd surfing!

These two were posted by the same person, I think it's the entire show between them.

UZqRGlwTh6U
rl2lT1aJQgo

chiapet
09-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Incidentally, Monotonix played here last night at a bar that has a backroom "stage" area that has about a 100 person capacity. I am pissed that I got really, really sick and could not go. And my lame ass friends wouldn't even go and video for me.

rage patton
09-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Haha! Sweeeeeeet. I see myself in the second video. Right when the guitarist gets lifted into the air, I am directly to his right. You can't really see me though... everyone is juming around too much and everyones hands are in the air.

WAIT! Here I am at 5:44 into the second video...

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x224/joshmusic88/MonotonixMeCrowd.jpg

Hannahrain
09-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Crap, I forgot to meet Jared.

chiapet
09-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Day 1 pictures just went up here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/xiuh/sets/72157607134915623/

Trying to spread them out a little bit because I took too many. Day 1 is mostly Man Man. Here are a few of my favorites:

Barcelona
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3264/2832122198_4805c7284d.jpg

Thao with the Get Down Stay Down
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3229/2831288097_90e04e7d8f.jpg
Man Man
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3065/2831288185_62f46a9b48.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3293/2831289395_33b61e57bf.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3060/2831289455_bf49f68fb4.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3147/2832124350_f730613046.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3207/2832124458_505a4635bd.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3082/2832125272_412e129675.jpg

paulb
09-06-2008, 03:15 AM
Those Monotonix vids, look like something id really love to see live...Looks fun. Fuck security, i bet their headlining shows are insane.

Gogol openers anyone?

rage patton
09-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Those Man Man pictures are great. They were so awesome. My second favorite of the weekend.
Actually, I will rank my top 5.

1. Monotonix
2. Man Man
3. The Black Keys
4. The Offspring
5. Bedouin Soundclash

Also, I could definately see Monotonix open for Gogol Bordello. Then again, I could also see them opening up for anyone from Battles to The White Stripes. They are so awesome, energetic and weird, they could open up for almost anybody.