PDA

View Full Version : Sub Pop's 20th annivesary Festival

superdeluxe
04-07-2008, 10:03 AM
The festival will officially take place July 12 & 13 at the 640-acre Marymoor Park in Redmond, with performances going both day and night

Bands performing will cover the history of the label's roster, include two reunion performances. One will be the much-ballyhooed return of Green River. The second, according to this recent news story from the Denver Post will be the Fluid, Sub Pop's first non-local signing from way back in 1985.

There will be a Sub Pop comedy night separate from the music festivities.

There could possibly also be some shows at clubs around Seattle leading up to the festivities, though details on this were very vague.

http://www.seattlesoundmag.com/2008/04/sps-20th-anniversary-details-revealed/

paulb
04-07-2008, 10:29 AM
fuck Coachella, Im going to this!

wmgaretjax
04-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Holy shit. that week is going to be amazing in Seattle.

superdeluxe
04-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Yeah, Really can't wait to see how green river is going to turn out, Subpop has had a pretty good lineup over the years. Thankfully there are no conflicts.

menikmati
04-07-2008, 11:52 AM
The Fluid will be cool.

superdeluxe
04-07-2008, 12:00 PM
I wonder what bands will be there, Sub pop has quite a long list of good acts..

Wikipedia's list of those that have been on subpop's roster (or released records):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_artists_who_have_worked_with_Sub_Pop

menikmati
04-07-2008, 12:03 PM
you can grab a handful of those blind, and you're guaranteed to come out with a great lineup. Win-win.

superdeluxe
04-07-2008, 12:09 PM
I would love a one shot reunion of SDRE.

superdeluxe
04-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Well, you can rule out Band of Horses, they will be at T in the park on the 12th.

woogie846
04-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Wow that sounds awesome. Anyone who is in the Seattle area should be very, very grateful right now.

BobCaygeon
04-07-2008, 08:41 PM
I'd fly in to see Pond reunite.

superfiction
04-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Wow that sounds awesome. Anyone who is in the Seattle area should be very, very grateful right now.

im going.

rage patton
04-07-2008, 08:58 PM
I wonder how "big" the headliners are going to be for this event.

Is a Soundgarden reunion too much too hope for? Probably...

superdeluxe
04-08-2008, 04:17 AM
I wonder how "big" the headliners are going to be for this event.

Is a Soundgarden reunion too much too hope for? Probably...

Most likely, since Chris Cornell I think is already on tour.

Smaller one shot re-unions that mean alot to the local music scene might happen though.

Not sure how big Green River is across the Nation, but that band is really one of the founding fathers of grunge/rock in the seattle movement.

Rumored at The Stranger's blog: Postal Service, Grand Archives (they also said Band of horses, but those guys will be at T in the Park)

wmgaretjax
04-08-2008, 08:24 AM
David Cross....

Young blood
04-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Im guessing that Sleater-Kinney will be there.

rage patton
04-08-2008, 09:39 AM
Im guessing that Sleater-Kinney will be there.

They broke up two years ago.

Young blood
04-08-2008, 09:44 AM

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r117/Vincsents/Drusy-Gold-Star-1a.gif

superdeluxe
04-08-2008, 09:53 AM

several bands are getting back together for one show.

rage patton
04-08-2008, 09:54 AM
Well if Sleater-Kinney are there, which I don't think they will, I guess I will be going. My girlfriend is a huge Sleater-Kinney fan. And everytime their names gets brought up, she beats herself up for not seeing them while they were around.

superdeluxe
04-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Mudhoney will be performing.

Does Chris Cornell have that date open?

Cornell is in europe on Friday..he could do sunday.. although doubtful.

superdeluxe
04-16-2008, 09:29 AM
MORE DETAILS:

Complete Sub Pop 20th BDay Festival info
From my inbox:

SUB POP RECORDS' 20TH ANNIVERSARY BRINGS TOGETHER ARTISTS SPANNING TWO DECADES FOR BENEFIT FESTIVAL JULY 12 & 13
AT KING COUNTY'S MARYMOOR PARK

SP20 FESTIVAL PARTIAL LINEUP INCLUDES:
GREEN RIVER, FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS, IRON & WINE , WOLF PARADE and OTHERS with MORE TO BE ANNOUNCED IN THE COMING MONTHS

COMEDY SHOW KICKS OFF SP20 ON JULY 11 AT SEATTLE'S MOORE THEATRE FEATURING PATTON OSWALT, EUGENE MIRMAN, TODD BARRY
and SURPRISE GUESTS

SEATTLE, WA In unabashedly conspicuous celebration of 20 years of not going out of business (sometimes only barely), Seattle's Sub Pop Records will gather past and present label-mates for a series of events, including a two-day festival at Marymoor Park on July 12 & 13 and a comedy show on July 11 at Seattle's Moore Theatre. Proceeds from the sale of tickets will go to support beneficiaries of each participating act's choosing. Tickets go on sale April 26 at 12 PM Pacific at SubPop.com and all Ticketmaster locations. More ticket information provided below. The official SP20 anniversary logo is available at: https://www.subpop.com/assets/doc/4262.pdf

About SP20
Though Bruce Pavitt had been using the title SUBTERRANEAN POP since sometime in '79 for fanzines, cassette compilations, radio shows, and the like, somewhere along the line he and co-founder Jonathan Poneman decided that April 1, 1988--the day they quit their jobs and rented a tiny office in the Terminal Sales Building in Seattle--was the day Sub Pop Records was born. To celebrate the label's twentieth birthday, Sub Pop will release a series of re-issues starting with Mudhoney's Superfuzz Bigmuff: Deluxe Edition (May 22, 2008), launch a limited run of the Sub Pop Singles Club, and throw a series of over-the-top birthday parties for itself this summer. For more SP20 information please visit: http://www.subpop.com/media/sub_pop

SP20 Festival
The SP20 Festival is happening July 12 & 13 at Marymoor Park just outside of Seattle in Redmond, WA. In addition to reunited bands, acts currently on the label's roster, and everything in between, the festival will also host a half-pipe featuring both Nike and Girl + Chocolate sponsored skaters. While the full day-by-day line-up will be announced in the coming months, the festival will include:

Beachwood Sparks / Comets on Fire / Fleet Foxes / Flight of the Conchords / The Fluid / Foals / Grand Archives / Green River / The Helio Sequence / Iron & Wine / Kinski / Low / Mudhoney / No Age / Pissed Jeans / Red Red Meat / The Ruby Suns / Seaweed / Wolf Parade, and more to be announced. For artist images and bios please visit: http://www.subpop.com/artists/

Proceeds from ticket sales will benefit a variety of charities chosen by both Sub Pop and each act performing. Ticket information provided below.

SP20 Comedy Show
The SP20 activities will commence with a comedy show on July 11 at The Moore Theatre. Among the performing comedians are Sub Pop artists Eugene Mirman and Patton Oswalt, label friend and fan Todd Barry, and special guests.

Ticket information provided below.

SP20 Festival & SP20 Comedy Show Ticket Information
Discounted $30 single-day or $50 two-day passes to the SP20 Festival go on sale Saturday April 26 at 12 pm Pacific at SubPop.com, at Ticketmaster outlets, at Ticketmaster.com or by calling 206.628.0888. Tickets can also be purchased at the Marymoor box office Monday through Friday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, with all service charges going to benefit the parks department. Ticket prices will increase to $35 single-day or $60 two-day passes on May 10.

Tickets for SP20 Comedy Show are $20 and go on sale April 26 at 12 pm Pacific at SubPop.com, at Ticketmaster outlets, at Ticketmaster.com or by calling 206.628.0888. Tickets can also be purchased at the Moore Theatre box office, which is open Tuesday through Friday from 11:00 am to 2:30 pm and again from 3:15 pm to 6:00 pm.

Proceeds from ticket sales will go to benefit a variety of beneficiaries, chosen by both Sub Pop and participating bands.

Special SP20 ticket combinations and packages will be available exclusively at SubPop.com.

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/earcandy/archives/136561.asp

gmoneyak
04-16-2008, 11:27 AM
Pissed Jeans is a great name for a band..

wmgaretjax
04-16-2008, 11:50 AM
holy shit this is gonna be awesome.

full on idle
04-16-2008, 12:01 PM
Marymoor park has the best free range dog area. I was just there a couple weeks ago.

wmgaretjax
04-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Marymoor park has the best free range dog area. I was just there a couple weeks ago.

it is a nice park. and it's easy to bike too...

superdeluxe
04-16-2008, 09:29 PM
VERY interesting from Jeff Ament, in regards to Green River:

"There's been a few e-mails exchanged and a few jokes about how we'll get our hair that big and long again," he said. "We might all have to go in for weaves. If we got together and wrote a couple of songs and put out a single, that'd be more important to me than playing a show; just getting in a room together."

MarkO
04-16-2008, 09:33 PM
Tix on sale Apr26 ??? Hmmmm.

superdeluxe
04-16-2008, 09:38 PM
Travis Hay's wishlist (from Ear Candy, Seattle music blog):

The Thermals
Afghan Whigs
Blitzen Trapper
Sleater-Kinney
Sunny Day Real Estate
Screaming Trees
Soundgarden
Tad
The Shins
The Postal Service
Pond
L7
The Gutter Twins
The Go Team
Reverend Horton Heat

MarkO
04-16-2008, 09:42 PM
L7 were on SubPop ?? Didn't know that!

superdeluxe
05-08-2008, 11:43 AM
The Shins, The Vaselines, Les Thugs, Eric's Trip added to the actual festival.

Saturday July 12th At the showbox:
Gutter Twins
Brothers of the Sonic Cloth (featuring Tad Doyle)

bmack86
05-08-2008, 12:15 PM
Vaselines are playing. How awesome is that

superdeluxe
05-08-2008, 12:18 PM

Yeah thats pretty cool, first ever us performance.

chiapet
05-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Oh geezus. How many festivals am I going to have to go to this summer?

dorkfish
05-08-2008, 01:55 PM
almost enough to make me go.

superdeluxe
05-22-2008, 07:56 AM
Crazy, take it with a grain of salt rumor from Ear Candy with Travis Hays:

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/earcandy/archives/139359.asp

Nirvana reunion at Subpop festival. Grohl, Novoselic, LOVE!?!?!

Please don't let that happen.

Now, if Grohl wanted to hop behind the drums, Novoselic at Bass, and maybe they brought Pat Smear to play guitar, and have some vocalists to honor kurt play lead vocals, that I can really dig.

But Not Courtney Love.

menikmati
05-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Uh yeah, that was all bullshit, and a dumbass "rumor" to begin with.