PDA

View Full Version : Radiohead vs. Sonic Youth

jigsaw
04-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Who wins?

Radiohead

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rqApFAEPnkc&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rqApFAEPnkc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Sonic Youth

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/laK9eDxZaUQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/laK9eDxZaUQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

andnonewasthewiser
04-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Ahh, now this is a tough one. Radiohead Vs. the Beatles was a no brainer but this one takes a little more thought.

I'll have to go with Sonic Youth, though I can see that changing when I'm much older.

Mr.Nipples
04-01-2008, 11:57 AM
sonic youth
NqwlvQ6XwhE&hl=en

BlackSwan
04-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Radiohead...

Why?.. because they will never stoop this low... http://www.majesticconcerts.com/DSMF.html

Drewfus46
04-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Radiohead hands down man i mean kid A seriously changed my life.

paulb
04-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Radiohead...

Boourns
04-01-2008, 12:39 PM
radiohead, easily

jonnypark
04-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Sonic Youth in my humble opinion

frozen pilgrim
04-01-2008, 04:00 PM
one couldn't exist without the other
also, thurston moore knows where the fountain of youth is, and he's not telling.

ThomThom
04-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Radiohead...

Why?.. because they will never stoop this low... http://www.majesticconcerts.com/DSMF.html

HAHAHA, Shooter Jennings, my god...

BlackSwan
04-01-2008, 04:10 PM
HAHAHA, Shooter Jennings, my god...

Seriously this is just barely a step up from a county fair.

zenidogx
04-01-2008, 04:17 PM
sonic youth. they dont demand attention and they've been so good for so long without any real mainstream radio play. plus my ears prefer the noise they create.

ThomThom
04-01-2008, 04:29 PM
As much as I love Sonic Youth they did put on one of the worst shows I went to last year. They sounded fucking horrible at The Greek in LA for that Daydream Nation special performance. What a let down that was.

frozen pilgrim
04-01-2008, 04:33 PM
sonic youth is all up to the engineers sometimes.
noise rock sounds fucking terrible when produced badly.
or they coulda been off that night, how the fuck do I know, I wasn't there

caeden
04-01-2008, 04:36 PM
radiohead... dirty did blow my mind the first time i heard it. and radiohead has yet to release a song that approaches the ambitiousness of "the diamond sea"

fikus222
04-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Between the two, I saw Sonic Youth first.

The first time was during Lollapalooza '95, they came on after Pavement's awesome set and then sucked hard. The second time was at the Tibetan Freedom Concert in '96 and they were amazingly good.

I think they were prolly tired of being on the Lolla tour, plus the Tibetan Freedom Concert was all GA so I was up front in the pit's circles and everybody was digging them, so that probably influenced their show as well.

Now Radiohead, I first saw in '97, it is my most favoritest show of all time. I have since seen them a total of 5 times on 4 different tours and they are always incredible.

Radiohead takes the cake, but Sonic Youth delivers some quality icing.

corsair
04-01-2008, 11:57 PM
i honestly wouldn't begin to know how to compare genius. both are proving to stand the test of time, though one substantially more so than the other.

never have seen radiohead, still waiting for that to come around, but i have seen sonic youth and thurston solo... sentimentally i loved the sonic youth show though i was let down that some of the older material wasn't given more due... and thurston solo was just great, in a small venue with steve and then also appearances by mike watt, actually got to chat with him as well which for this area the whole experience was overwhelming.

the two individual philosophies of the bands are both upstanding which they all maintain their core beliefs (i didn't see anything wrong with the 'state fair' gig an eco friendly gig where proceeds benefit local charities, definately no cbgb's or along those, most likely not a for profits type paycheck at $50 for tickets spread out). though i will say that between the two if there is conversation involved, i would much rather hangout with SY any day any time as opposed to radiohead.

sonic youth has been around longer seen everything and nearly done everything, were witnesses to everyone that came and went and yet they are still here. i love radiohead, but let's see them hold on for another ten years which by then SY will still be playing, well into their 60's and 70's.

Sonic Youth all the way.

amyzzz
04-02-2008, 04:06 AM
Radiohead. But then again, I've never really been into Sonic Youth.

I_Am_Brendan
04-02-2008, 05:18 AM
easily Sonic Youth...
Thurston is a god.
Thom is a cock.

TonyWonder
04-02-2008, 05:47 AM
Finally, a reasonable poll.

Sonic Youth = Highly influential legends with very little airplay. They are still kicking ass well into their fifties..Rather Ripped was their best in years. Live shows are inconsistent but can usually be due to the sound guys.

Classic albums: Evol, Goo, Daydream Nation
Great albums: Confusion is Sex, Sister, Thousand Leaves, Murray St
Good albums: Bad Moon Rising, Experimental Jet Set, Washing Machine, Rather Ripped, other albums I forget at the moment.

Radiohead = The best album streak in music. Will be legends if not already. No signs of slowing momentum. Amazing live show.

Classic albums: The Bends, OK Computer, Kid A
Great Albums: Amnesiac, Hail to the Theif
Good Albums: Pablo Honey, My Iron Lung EP
Too early to tell if great or classic: In Rainbows

At this point, I give the edge to Sonic Youth but lets check back in another decade.

Daydream Nation = WIN

paulb
04-02-2008, 09:52 AM
As much as I love Sonic Youth they did put on one of the worst shows I went to last year. They sounded fucking horrible at The Greek in LA for that Daydream Nation special performance. What a let down that was.

So it wasnt just me? Good. Thank God for Daft Punk the day before.

ThomThom
04-02-2008, 10:44 AM
So it wasnt just me? Good. Thank God for Daft Punk the day before.

Daft Punk the night before took it's toll on me and I fell asleep through half of the Sonic Youth show the following night, I finally woke up when they started playing non Daydream Nation material during their encore. It was by far the worst show I went to in 2007.

paulb
04-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Ya, i had no fun either...but you know, gotta please the girlfriend, even if that means being at the barricade for them and waiting through Jarvis Cocker... That was my first time at the Greek... I was very impressed at how huge the washroom is, and how many stalls there are.

ThomThom
04-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Ya, i had no fun either...but you know, gotta please the girlfriend, even if that means being at the barricade for them and waiting through Jarvis Cocker... That was my first time at the Greek... I was very impressed at how huge the washroom is, and how many stalls there are.

The Greek is a fantastic venue if your NOT sitting in Terrace.

paulb
04-02-2008, 10:51 AM
I had section C, row 1 for Sonic Youth... then section A for Beastie Boys... I dont think I ever wanna be in C again.... it looks nice, but Im not a huge fan of the seating layout.

ThomThom
04-02-2008, 10:57 AM
I had section C, row 1 for Sonic Youth... then section A for Beastie Boys... I dont think I ever wanna be in C again.... it looks nice, but Im not a huge fan of the seating layout.

I was in section A for Sonic Youth as well... Hmmmm

JebusLives
04-02-2008, 11:41 AM
one couldn't exist without the other
also, thurston moore knows where the fountain of youth is, and he's not telling.

Actually, one existed while the other was still in diapers.

I'm so impressed with you guys! I figured Radiohead would have slaughtered SY

woogie846
04-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Radiohead hands down.

frozen pilgrim
04-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Actually, one existed while the other was still in diapers.

I'm so impressed with you guys! I figured Radiohead would have slaughtered SY

^^that's what I meant, I was just being nice >.<

also mebbe baiting for someone to act a fool and say otherwise.

yeah. how old are they?
they're all somewhere around fifty.
look at thurston moore's face and tell me he looks a day older than 30, and I'll show you an orange elephant.

Drewfus46
04-02-2008, 06:02 PM
I saw this board when it first started and voted and to my dismay i saw that radiohead was losing it seems that all is right again and radiohead is on top once again.

bullokz
04-03-2008, 02:27 AM
Sonic Youth FTW

jigsaw
04-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Why the hell is there more conversation going in the American Idol thread than in this one?

jonnypark
04-03-2008, 02:10 PM
I was expecting Radiohead to win in a blowout, I am happy with these results.

kitten_calamity
04-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Sonic Youth, hands down! I do love Radiohead though..

saxomophone
04-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Definitely Sonic Youth.
Radiohead is great and all but SY is beyond great.

coldstart
04-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Love them both but I owe a lot to Sonic Youth...

NoizeSelektor
04-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Radiohead hands down man i mean kid A seriously changed my life.

ya i hear that long live kid a and amnesiac.

frozen pilgrim
04-07-2008, 11:19 AM
I think even radiohead would vote for sonic youth.

radiohead, frankly, is a more diverse and potentially a more talented band (although that's subjective). what's NOT debatable is who owes their CAREER to whom.

and if you don't know which way that one goes, you whould get off this website and head over to good ol' wiki IMMEDIATELY.

Dave Gravy
04-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Sonic Youth, motherfuckers.

frozen pilgrim
04-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Sonic Youth, motherfuckers.

radiohead winning this poll indicates a distinct lack of music history knowledge on this board.

there are some old schoolers on here who REALLY know their shit. I lurve you guys.
back me up here:
radiohead could not exist without sonic youth- therefore, a comparison of the two's merits is entirely moot.

amyzzz
04-15-2008, 05:03 PM
It doesn't change the fact that Radiohead have surpassed Sonic Youth...and I don't care about SY too much. sorry.

psychoc&ndy
04-17-2008, 10:46 AM
radiohead winning this poll indicates a distinct lack of music history knowledge on this board.

there are some old schoolers on here who REALLY know their shit. I lurve you guys.
back me up here:
radiohead could not exist without sonic youth- therefore, a comparison of the two's merits is entirely moot.

sonic youth= the beatles of indie rock

without them, there would be no radiohead, mogwai, godspeed, blonde redhead, explosions in the sky, etc etc etc

you have to take in consideration that sonic youth were doing things way ahead of their time, even a decade before radiohead. sonic youth basically invented their own sound, where as radiohead borrowed bits and pieces from other bands and made it into their own unique sound. still, both bands are incredible

SoulDischarge
04-18-2008, 10:29 AM

I was a bit disappointed too, but it makes sense. Nothing can live up to the expectations of seeing Daydream Nation live. At least I got to hear The Trilogy live, and on acid! I just don't know how they expect anyone to fucking SIT through that album. I wanted to lose my shit, but I had to just sit there peacefully and pretend like I was rawking out. I also noticed that they picked up their energy level a lot more during their new material. OH well. Sonic Youth all the way anyway. Few bands have entered their way into my DNA they way they have. But Radiohead is mighty competition at least.

JebusLives
04-18-2008, 12:23 PM
The depth and breadth of Sonic Youth's back catalog really does dominate.

Comparing their best work though, Daydream Nation and OK Computer are both close to perfect albums. I'd pick Daydream, but wouldn't scoff at someone who disagreed with me.

If you just voted for Radiohead though without being well versed in the Youth, then PLEASE do yourself a favor.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Radiohead...

miscorrections
01-16-2009, 11:00 PM
Sonic Sonic Sonic Youth. Thurston. Yes.

pancakespancakes
01-16-2009, 11:07 PM
Sonic Youth, pretty easy choice for me, and I love the 'Head of course. I just find Sonic Youth to be a better band personally, but also, one that has so far had a more important place in history. But Radiohead has obviously reached out to many more people than they have and I think that is something of merit for them.

But I really find it funny that Radiohead is winning this poll, and yet 90% of the posts in the thread are for Sonic Youth. I guess if you voted for them, you sure are proud of it.

Mr.Nipples
01-16-2009, 11:09 PM
sonic youth

BootsyGraham
01-16-2009, 11:12 PM
sonic youth is fucking incredible.

coldstart
01-17-2009, 12:51 AM
Sonic Youth only because I've listened to them longer.

SoulDischarge
01-23-2009, 02:51 PM
sonicyouth

Jon Blazed
01-23-2009, 04:43 PM
If I could vote twice, I did.

Drknowph
01-25-2009, 08:59 PM
sonic youth all the way

WillyWonka5497
01-25-2009, 09:09 PM
Finally, a reasonable poll.

Sonic Youth = Highly influential legends with very little airplay. They are still kicking ass well into their fifties..Rather Ripped was their best in years. Live shows are inconsistent but can usually be due to the sound guys.

Classic albums: Evol, Goo, Daydream Nation
Great albums: Confusion is Sex, Sister, Thousand Leaves, Murray St
Good albums: Bad Moon Rising, Experimental Jet Set, Washing Machine, Rather Ripped, other albums I forget at the moment.

Radiohead = The best album streak in music. Will be legends if not already. No signs of slowing momentum. Amazing live show.

Classic albums: The Bends, OK Computer, Kid A
Great Albums: Amnesiac, Hail to the Theif
Good Albums: Pablo Honey, My Iron Lung EP
Too early to tell if great or classic: In Rainbows

At this point, I give the edge to Sonic Youth but lets check back in another decade.

Daydream Nation = WIN

"In Rainbows" is an instant classic. The album is amazingly consistent.

Aurgasm
02-03-2009, 08:07 PM
seen em both live, no contest, Radiohead

Drewski27
03-17-2009, 03:05 PM
i cannot vote in this poll as they both make my penis equally as hard.

PassiveTheory
03-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Has someone already made the Radiohead vs. Radiohead poll? It's oddly appropriate...

Drewski27
03-17-2009, 03:07 PM
fuck it. sonic youth. sorry thom.

Jon Blazed
03-17-2009, 03:14 PM
fuck it. sonic youth. sorry thom.

winner

fikus222
07-23-2010, 04:59 AM
I've seen both from the nineties onward and Radiohead wins by a landslide...at least they try every time, which is more than you can say about SY.

Mr. Fuzz
07-23-2010, 09:33 AM
What do you mean fikus? Are you saying that Sonic Youth doesn't try?

shoegazer76
07-23-2010, 09:37 AM
It doesn't change the fact that Radiohead have surpassed Sonic Youth...and I don't care about SY too much. sorry.

An incredibly ignorant statement. Have surpassed them in what? Record sales? Who gives a fuck? The Youth will never be dethroned. They are the living embodiment carrying the torch of the beatnik generation & the legacy of the NY city underground.

Mr. Fuzz
07-23-2010, 09:39 AM
8WssdM5C6xw

betao
07-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Wow. I voted in this poll back in 2008 before I had gotten into SY so I voted Radiohead.

Now, I'd probably change that.

It's still a very hard choice - both are awesome. But I don't know if I could vote against the combination of Kim Gordon, Thurston Moore, and Lee Ranaldo.

rskapcat
07-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Sonic Youth for me. Didn't even have to think too hard on it. And I like Radiohead.

BayAreaIsBetter
08-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Everybodys talkin bout the stormy weather, doodle doodle dedle dadle dada dodo..

fnmore
08-02-2010, 11:54 PM
88 to 98 I would have said Sonic Youth but 98 to 2008 I would have said Radiohead

both were favorites

nothing will compare to listening to Daydream Nation for the first time, when it came out on cassette except for listening to OK Computer for the first time

very tough poll.......but have never though they were at all similar to each other

rasooli
08-03-2010, 12:31 AM
RADIOHEAD IS ONE OF THE ALL TIME GREAT ROCK BANDS....Sonic Youth is AT LEAST one level down.

TomAz
12-27-2010, 06:44 AM
I continue to refuse to vote in this poll. I don't have to choose so I won't.

ballroomdancer22
12-28-2010, 12:11 PM
Radiohead

in terms of ingenuity, record sales, catchy/quality tunes, consistant records, live performances, following and overall legacy.

50 years from now, Radiohead will be remembered as one of the defining if not the defining band of the 90's/00's

Sonic Youth despite their accolades have been surpassed in all the above mentioned but will nonetheless garner praise....just not as much

bmack86
12-28-2010, 12:25 PM
Completely disagree. 30 years down the road Radiohead will look like a group that synthesized some seemingly disparate musical styles and did so in a way that made them more popular. However, to compare that with the SY catalog is just ridiculous. Radiohead have, in my opinion, two purely classic records in OK Computer and Kid A; records that flow as albums, have spectacular songs and push forward the style of music they're working in. Sonic Youth have at least Sister, Daydream Nation and Murray Street in that category, and I think of Evol and Bad Moon Rising as similarly flawless. It's also very telling that whenever I wear my Confusion is Sex shirt around, I will have at least a few people tell me it's their best album; it's not, but the Yoof have such a powerfully developed catalog that such a claim can be made. And, unlike Radiohead, they constantly work with experimental and avant-garde forms as well, and some of their recent releases in this vein are the best experimental work they've ever done (SYR9 comes to mind).

Until recently I would have conceded the live point, but the tour SY did this year was so incredibly great that, for me, they laid claim to the best rock band in the world. To have that level of intensity, musicianship and focus onstage 30 years into their career is incredible. Radiohead: fantastic band. SY: best band.

chairmenmeow47
12-28-2010, 12:45 PM
i never hear anyone under the age of 30 outside of this board ever talk about enjoying sonic youth. YAWNFEST!

Mr. Fuzz
12-28-2010, 12:48 PM
we're gonna find the meaning of feeling good and we're gonna stay there as long as we think we should

ballroomdancer22
12-28-2010, 01:17 PM
better yet, if you could not listen to either Radiohead or Sonic Youth for the rest of your life, which would you choose?

BayAreaIsBetter
12-28-2010, 06:59 PM
Radiohead

50 years from now, Radiohead will be remembered as one of the defining if not the defining band of the 90's/00's

right, just like rush was to the 70's :rolleyes

JebusLives
12-28-2010, 09:55 PM
i never hear anyone under the age of 30 outside of this board ever talk about enjoying sonic youth. YAWNFEST!

Radiohead is obviously more popular, especially among teens. Moreso Miley Cyrus. What point are you trying to make?

Radiohead will also garner more praise in the history books. They'll be wrong.

TomAz
12-29-2010, 06:23 AM

how old do you think bryan is?

humanoid
12-29-2010, 07:02 AM
71?

chairmenmeow47
12-29-2010, 01:50 PM
bryan is not outside of the board. he is a board member. same with kat.

just because a lot of people like something doesn't make it bad. look at the mainstream popularity of ice-cream. it doesn't make it any less tasty.

TomAz
12-29-2010, 02:16 PM
I missed the 'outside of this board' part.

I have found that, for the most part, people outside of this board aren't worth talking to about music. I never hear anyone talking about sonic youth, period. or radiohead for that matter.

TallGuyCM
12-29-2010, 02:31 PM

Just curious, how much Sonic Youth have you listened to?