PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen the Richie Hawtin bio DVD Slices?

MsTekno
01-30-2007, 11:15 PM
I got a DVD called "Slices: Pioneers of Electronic Music - Richie Hawtin" - It is a biography of him and his music and it goes into depth regarding his creative process and influences, as well as his life.

They interview him a lot, so it's not a lot of hearsay and third person stuff. I watched it and now I really can't wait to see him spin again. Not like I needed another reason though, but this time there will be a whole new perspective. I recommend it to anyone who might see him spin on Sunday. It gives some interesting insight......

kreutz2112
01-30-2007, 11:18 PM
Never even heard him

MsTekno
01-30-2007, 11:27 PM
Never even heard him

Not familiar with the "pioneers of electronic music"?, that's cool - he's spinning Sunday in the Sahara tent I'm guessing, you should check him out, you might like it.

ciaoq
01-31-2007, 02:52 AM
what he is playing these days is shit though

MsTekno
01-31-2007, 05:53 AM
what he is playing these days is shit though

I don't know what you've seen recently, but at Avalon in LA in Nov he was great. Not too minimal, so as you couldn't dance to it, maybe not as original as a live Plastikman show, but still hard techno with enough variety so you could really get a good night of dancing in. Music we rarely get to hear in LA.

Oh, I love your avatar!

menikmati
01-31-2007, 07:05 AM
I have "High tech soul" on dvd...honestly, it could of been better....still kinda cool to see the beginnings of Atkins, Saunderson, and May though....Hawtin is in it as well.

ciaoq
01-31-2007, 07:07 AM
thanks ms tekno!

oh that sounds nice if it wasnt too minimal, last two times i saw him over here he was waaaayyyyyyy too minimal, which i wouldnt really mind if i didnt know what a stomping techno dj he could be! bring back decks efx & 909, when i used to see him do that was some of the best nights i have ever had out in my life.

MsTekno
01-31-2007, 10:31 AM
I have "High tech soul" on dvd...honestly, it could of been better....still kinda cool to see the beginnings of Atkins, Saunderson, and May though....Hawtin is in it as well.

I have that one too - I liked it but it reminded me of that movie about 10 years ago, "Modulations", it was a history of electronic music, a little broader subject matter, though it did include techno.