PDA

View Full Version : NEW MUSIC TUESDAY (3/25) GETTIN ANYTHING?

C DUB YA
03-25-2008, 06:38 AM
Another pretty good week for new releases. I will be first in line with my copy of the new Raconteurs record. Haven't spent anytime with Gnarls, but I've heard its just "ok." The new B-52's, as with all B-52's, makes me wanna ram my face into a cactus.

The Does It Offend You, Yeah? (yes name taken from a Ricky Gervais line from the Office) is pretty good (f Pitchfork's review), I have been listening to it for a while now and me likes the chaos, the import on Amazon is about the same price as the domestic, so you could grab it a little early if you were so inclined.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j32/carywhitt/new_records_3_25.jpg

Gnarls Barkley - The Odd Couple
Raconteurs - Consolers of the Lonely
Guillemots - Red (import)
B-52's - Funplex
Day 26 - Day 26
Counting Crows - Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings
Panic at the Disco - Pretty. Odd
Robert Cray - Live at the BBC
Mike Oldfield - Music of Spheres (deluxe issue)
Silver Mount Zion - 13 Blues for 13 Moons
Elf Power - In a Cave
EMC - The Show
Head of Femur - Great plains
Plants and Animals - Parc Avenue
Starfield - I Will Go
Bryan Adams - 11
De Novo Dahl - Move Every Muscle, Make Every Sound
Lemonheads - It's a Shame About Ray (deluxe 2xCD reissue)
Does it Offend You, Yeah? - You Have No Idea What You're Getting Into (import 3/25, domestic 4/15)
The Heavy - Great Vengeance and Furious Fire
Temposhark - The Invisible Line
DJ Delores - One Real
Slim Cessna's Auto Club - Cipher
We Are Scientists - Brain Thrust Mastery (import)

Sushov23
03-25-2008, 07:44 AM
how much is best buy or circuit city selling the new Raconteurs album for?

sbessiso
03-25-2008, 07:46 AM
I looked online and couldnt find a solid answer

JSam67
03-25-2008, 07:52 AM
I paid $10.99 online through their website, seemed pretty reasonable. Loving the CD, too. Any verdict on the new Gnarls?

suprefan
03-25-2008, 08:21 AM
You forgot the U.S. version of the Morrissey Greatest Hits with the bonus live disc included.

C DUB YA
03-25-2008, 08:24 AM
Ah yes - forgot about Mozzer milkin that sub-par hits collection - I do like the new songs though.

suprefan
03-25-2008, 08:25 AM
I listened to some parts of the live recording, sounds awesome. I want the DVD already.

wmgaretjax
03-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Excepter - Debt Dept (paw tracks)

C DUB YA
03-25-2008, 10:21 AM
Raconteurs and Gnarls were 13.99 at Best Buy

sbessiso
03-25-2008, 11:38 AM
i heart morrissey!

jazzz
03-25-2008, 05:22 PM
not exactly new today releases but I made out with

ELLEN ALLIEN- Fabric 34
THOMAS FEHLMANN- Honigpumpe
TOM BURBANK- Famous First Words
DISTANCE- My Demons
GOLDFRAPP- Seventh Tree
DAVE GAHAN- Hourglass remixes (Vinyl w/ bonus cd w/ 3 extra tracks inc. Skream mix)

C DUB YA
03-25-2008, 08:58 PM
next week is killer.

IdiotequeThom
03-25-2008, 09:35 PM
Raconteurs. i'm loving the DIOYY album.

sacleonard
03-25-2008, 10:09 PM
Picked up new CDs from The Raconteurs and Counting Crows. I listened to "Consolers of the Lonely" in the car, but I haven't had a chance to listen to "Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings" yet.

I find myself trying to compare "Consolers" to "Soldiers," but I need to listen again to see how it stands on its own. I can still hear the Zep influence, but if anything, there's even more 70s influence inside (Kiss, ELP, etc.).

Admittedly, I am biased about Counting Crows, as we listened to them often in the year leading up to our relocation to California. I am surprised that there aren't more fans on this site, but I understand that many people didn't get over their saturation in the 90s.

SubBass49
03-26-2008, 04:40 AM
Will pick up Guilty Simpson's new album today probably...hopefully Best Buy will be carrying it. All the independant record shops around me have closed down...and I can't be fucked to pay for shipping & handling right now, or I'd buy it direct from the label.

Actually...if anyone's a big fan of G.S., he's got a deal with hip-hop site (Denmark I think) where you could get his album, and it would come with a T-shirt and vinyl45...dunno if it's still going on or not. The euro-conversion rate and the shipping fucked that one up for me though.

Cancersticks1
03-26-2008, 05:56 AM
I actually really like the new Gnarls, I expected this album to be a let down.

bartelby
03-26-2008, 07:36 AM
i'm getting a capslock button

phonics80
03-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Morgan Page - Elevate

Effing phenomenal!

ghettojournalist
03-26-2008, 11:25 PM
this Gnarls Barkley album isn't doing it for me. "Open Book" is approaching Bjork territory though, so points for that.

NicoDread
03-26-2008, 11:34 PM
New Gnarls Barkley blew my mind and melted my face

Alchemy
03-27-2008, 08:44 AM
Gnarls Barkley - The Odd Couple
Raconteurs - Consolers of the Lonely
Silver Mount Zion - 13 Blues for 13 Moons
Lemonheads - It's a Shame About Ray (deluxe 2xCD reissue)
Does it Offend You, Yeah? - You Have No Idea What You're Getting Into (import 3/25, domestic 4/15)

I'm interested in these.

microcuts
03-27-2008, 10:34 AM
fleetwood mac's Lindsey Buckingham - Live at the Bass Performance Hall CD/DVD combo - seriously one of the most underrated guitarists. Impressive work.

summerkid
03-27-2008, 10:37 AM
I bought the new Raconteurs album the other day and my god is it great, but its being upstaged a little bit by my other purchase. Erykah Badu's new album which is probably the best album of the year easily.

paulb
03-27-2008, 12:54 PM
none.

sbessiso
03-27-2008, 01:13 PM
I bought the new Raconteurs album the other day and my god is it great, but its being upstaged a little bit by my other purchase. Erykah Badu's new album which is probably the best album of the year easily.

"consolers of the lonely" really is fantastic, I'm trying to remember song names, but I know the first two are great and I'm really digging the 4th track as well as "top yourself"

bballarl
03-27-2008, 01:21 PM
The last track is fantastic.

I might buy that Lemonheads reissue.

Yablonowitz
03-29-2008, 12:34 PM
Picked up new CDs from The Raconteurs and Counting Crows. I listened to "Consolers of the Lonely" in the car, but I haven't had a chance to listen to "Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings" yet.

I find myself trying to compare "Consolers" to "Soldiers," but I need to listen again to see how it stands on its own. I can still hear the Zep influence, but if anything, there's even more 70s influence inside (Kiss, ELP, etc.).

Admittedly, I am biased about Counting Crows, as we listened to them often in the year leading up to our relocation to California. I am surprised that there aren't more fans on this site, but I understand that many people didn't get over their saturation in the 90s.

August and Everything After was a HUGE influence on my musical taste but they couldn't come close too replicating the authenticity of feeling that they captured there and pretty much seem like the shell of the band that made that album. I think the fact that T Bone Burnett produced it had a lot to do with how good it was.

bballarl
03-29-2008, 12:53 PM
I am tempted to check out the new Counting Crows. Allmusic gave it a great review (Thom Jurek reviewed it I believe, and I respect his opinion). I only have their first two albums, holdovers from when I was in 3rd grade and loved them because my guitar teacher taught Dan Vickrey. But recent listens reveal those both to be good albums.

sacleonard
03-30-2008, 07:12 PM
Yablonowitz: I like each follow up CD for different reasons: the restlessness of "Satellites," the differentiation of tracks on "This Desert Life," and the harmonies / balladry of "Hard Candy." "Satellites" probably holds up best as a CD, but I love several tracks from the other two CDs.

bballari: since my original post, I have been listening to it more, and it's really growing on me. Comparing it to previous CDs, the songs and lyrics most closely parallel "Satellites." If you get the iTunes Deluxe version, it has a 20 minute track-by-track interview with Adam Duritz (I always like to hear from the songwriters).

I actually listed CC on the "lineup" contest this year, and I would have enjoyed hearing the new material at sunset or evening. I guess I will have to catch them on tour.

JClemy
03-30-2008, 07:15 PM
next week is killer.

Whats out next week thats so good?

bmack86
03-30-2008, 08:07 PM
I went to Amoeba today

CDs
Mission of Burma-Signals, Calls and Marches
Mission of Burma-Vs.
Mission of Burma-The Horrible Truth About Burma

DVDs