PDA

View Full Version : One Month to Coachella

fsm10
03-25-2008, 01:10 AM
We're in the home stretch till Coachella '08. I think it's about time Goldenvoice reveals their "tricks up their sleeve." If it's Aphex Twin, Goldfrapp, Serj Tankian and Kate Nash, it's not really much of a trick. The first two seem to have been expected in the lineup from day one and the other two are somewhat yawners when it comes to creating much buzz.

Where's the "trick" add that's going to make people turn their heads and pay attention to Coachella in this final stretch?

I have watched every festival announcement this year and while Coachella's lineup press conference was met with mass initial outrage, every other festival announcement from Bonnaroo, to APW, to Sasquatch, to Pemberton, to the upcoming Lollapalooza have been met with feelings from apathy to total excitement.

It's time for Coachella to take back the spotlight. Add something significant.

NicoDread
03-25-2008, 01:35 AM
Aphex Twin alone was a big trick, and wasn't "expected," but more "hoped for."

PassiveTheory
03-25-2008, 01:43 AM
Aphex Twin, expected from day one? Are you daft?

fasttrack
03-25-2008, 01:50 AM
the home stretch starts in one week.

MarkO
03-25-2008, 04:59 AM
Daft Punk, Friday night, main stage .......

satori777
03-25-2008, 06:41 AM
We're in the home stretch till Coachella '08. I think it's about time Goldenvoice reveals their "tricks up their sleeve." If it's Aphex Twin, Goldfrapp, Serj Tankian and Kate Nash, it's not really much of a trick. The first two seem to have been expected in the lineup from day one and the other two are somewhat yawners when it comes to creating much buzz.

Where's the "trick" add that's going to make people turn their heads and pay attention to Coachella in this final stretch?

I have watched every festival announcement this year and while Coachella's lineup press conference was met with mass initial outrage, every other festival announcement from Bonnaroo, to APW, to Sasquatch, to Pemberton, to the upcoming Lollapalooza have been met with feelings from apathy to total excitement.

I think there was already a thread about it...but I'll say it again as it was said there...3 out of 4 headliners aside, this years lineup is acctually pretty awsome. Get your face out of the headliners and check out the bands 3 lines down...also, the complaining about the lineup thing is kind of old. If you don't like it don't buy a ticket...

betao
03-25-2008, 06:50 AM

There were rumors for Goldfrapp, yes. But Aphex Twin was straight out of left field. And a damn good trick for most of the loyal coachella attendees.

Also, the reason why coachella's lineup was originally met with such hostility is that the headliners and subheadliners seemed weak. But, the real reason why it got such backlash, is because coachella was the FIRST to announce its lineup. Coachella has a reputation to keep, and alot of people thought it was putting that reputation on the line when they announced the lineup. But the thing is, had a festival like Bonnaroo or APW gone first, it would have been them to get as much backlash as Coachella got, because alot of festivals seem weak in the big names department (just look at Glasto). Because of its headliners, Bonnaroo got met with just as much backlash (if not more so) than coachella. Everyone was expecting something big from all the big name festivals this year, and many people were let down because they didnt find their beloved Radiohead or anticipated My Bloody Valentine on the bills they were expected to be on.

Basically, Coachella got extreme backlash because it was the first one, revealing the surprise of having weaker headliners for the festivals all year round. I hope what I said made some sense.

paulb
03-25-2008, 06:54 AM
Aphex Twin was a pretty big trick... I was hoping for a big electronic add.

sbessiso
03-25-2008, 06:55 AM
aphex is in no way a trick in my book, but to each his own

satori777
03-25-2008, 07:01 AM
There were rumors for Goldfrapp, yes. But Aphex Twin was straight out of left field. And a damn good trick for most of the loyal coachella attendees.

Also, the reason why coachella's lineup was originally met with such hostility is that the headliners and subheadliners seemed weak.... because alot of festivals seem weak in the big names department

And how...Aphex = yum yums...

As far as big headliners goes...I think Coachella is less about who's in bold type and more about pulling badass reunions together and whatever band that you'll hear everywhere 6 months from now rocking your socks off. I mean...big names sell tickets...but that's about all they do. I bet Coachella could survive quite well without any bold type acts...just my opinion

amyzzz
03-25-2008, 07:23 AM
GV also offered those special tent options which they haven't done before.

niksterg11
03-25-2008, 10:40 AM
wasn't aphex twin rumored a long time ago? I remember someone posting about an ad they'd seen looking for male drummers for aphex twin.

The announcement wasn't that out in left field...

betao
03-25-2008, 10:50 AM
wasn't aphex twin rumored a long time ago? I remember someone posting about an ad they'd seen looking for male drummers for aphex twin.

Well, that could have easily been someone trying to play a joke on us, and then just out of pure coincidence, aphex gets added. After all, there are alot of people who just start random rumors about our most requested acts "suddenly" getting added (radiohead, prince, bowie), and i'd say aphex twin is one of our most requested acts.

the guy who started the rumor claimed to have seen an ad for Aphex looking for a live drummer or something. When we asked him to prove it to us by taking a picture of the flyer, he just disappeared. What were we left to think? If he ever shows us the flyer, he will be right. Or if aphex actually walks onstage with a drummer, he will be right. But until either of those happens, I'm calling it a coincidence.

dnbmunke
03-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Yeah I don't understand why people think Aphex Twin is so unexpected. If you had Daft blow the fucking tent away in 06 you had to follow that up with a big name...07 tiesto. Now how the hell could you follow up? Aphex Twin!

Sonicifyouwantit
03-25-2008, 12:15 PM
28 days for me!

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh52/sonicifyouwantit/twenty_eight_days_later.jpg

CalmerThanYou
03-25-2008, 12:54 PM
I think some of the tricks will be AT (read: Waters Performance) the festival...man, everyone is so NEEDY

MarkO
03-25-2008, 01:25 PM
I think some of the tricks will be AT (read: Waters Performance) the festival...man, everyone is so NEEDY

I'm dropping a grand + on this. Yeah, I'm gonna be greedy. I don't want to hear "ooh but check out the undercard" line either. i) You only get to see these newer/smaller bands for ~50mins vs. 1 1/2hr (give or take) when they're on tour by themselves.

Last year I was unbelievably stoked for Faithless & JAMC; two great bands with a great catalog that rarely tour the US. This year it's Kraftwerk & Portishead in that role.

msklvr
03-25-2008, 03:00 PM

I agree. I remember this guy. He was there and then gone. But I bet there's something to it. Yeah.

msklvr
03-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Shit. The set times are out in less than a month!

fsm10
03-25-2008, 03:26 PM
I think there was already a thread about it...but I'll say it again as it was said there...3 out of 4 headliners aside, this years lineup is acctually pretty awsome. Get your face out of the headliners and check out the bands 3 lines down...also, the complaining about the lineup thing is kind of old. If you don't like it don't buy a ticket...

I bought my tickets the first day only because I made a commitment to go no matter what and blindly hoping my friends would hold to their committment as well. I also held out hope that there would be at least one addition that would pique my interest. I was disappointed then. I'm even more disappointed now after other festivals have come out with what I see as far superior lineups from top to bottom. So I'll be expressing my displeasure until Coachella '08 is over and done with.

As for the people saying the Aphex Twin add wasn't expected, I barely even know who they are and I expected they would be added at some point. As I recall the Mexican radio station that aired the press conference played one of their songs during the wait before it got started and even commented that they were a distinct possibility. I've read their name in numerous threads on the boards. So when they got added I wasn't at all surprised.

So I'm going. I'm still waiting and hoping for a supposed "trick up the sleeve" that will actually make me optimistic about this year's Coachella, but as the days get closer April 25th, I'm actually becoming less and less interested.

CalmerThanYou
03-25-2008, 03:42 PM
^ I'd like to revisit this post on April 28th with you.

rage patton
03-25-2008, 03:48 PM
Shit. The set times are out in less than a month!

I like your new avatar.

Sonicifyouwantit
03-25-2008, 04:33 PM
I bought my tickets the first day only because I made a commitment to go no matter what and blindly hoping my friends would hold to their committment as well. I also held out hope that there would be at least one addition that would pique my interest. I was disappointed then. I'm even more disappointed now after other festivals have come out with what I see as far superior lineups from top to bottom. So I'll be expressing my displeasure until Coachella '08 is over and done with.

As for the people saying the Aphex Twin add wasn't expected, I barely even know who they are and I expected they would be added at some point. As I recall the Mexican radio station that aired the press conference played one of their songs during the wait before it got started and even commented that they were a distinct possibility. I've read their name in numerous threads on the boards. So when they got added I wasn't at all surprised.

So I'm going. I'm still waiting and hoping for a supposed "trick up the sleeve" that will actually make me optimistic about this year's Coachella, but as the days get closer April 25th, I'm actually becoming less and less interested.

leave the negativity behind it'll only hinder your over all joy at the fest...you will have an amazing time there. The fest is something more than just the bands playing. If this is only your second time keep it up. For most of us its twice that or more, it just gets better and soon you wont really care about the line up.

I'm dropping a grand + on this. Yeah, I'm gonna be greedy. I don't want to hear "ooh but check out the undercard" line either. i) You only get to see these newer/smaller bands for ~50mins vs. 1 1/2hr (give or take) when they're on tour by themselves.

Last year I was unbelievably stoked for Faithless & JAMC; two great bands with a great catalog that rarely tour the US. This year it's Kraftwerk & Portishead in that role.

well you are gonna hear about the undercard acts! Here in LA we get most of those bands within months of the fest but other places dont...yes you can get an extra 30 minute set but do all of those bands tour everywhere? No. Those shorter sets take up a majority of the day so most of your viewing/listening is going to be for those undercard acts. Think of coachella as a musical lesson. You will come back to your friends above the musical curve knowing what is about to get big.

msklvr
03-26-2008, 09:28 AM
I like your new avatar.

Thx man. Every time I see yours, I get a little sad.

nationocean
03-26-2008, 10:14 AM
Well, that could have easily been someone trying to play a joke on us, and then just out of pure coincidence, aphex gets added. After all, there are alot of people who just start random rumors about our most requested acts "suddenly" getting added (radiohead, prince, bowie), and i'd say aphex twin is one of our most requested acts.

the guy who started the rumor claimed to have seen an ad for Aphex looking for a live drummer or something. When we asked him to prove it to us by taking a picture of the flyer, he just disappeared. What were we left to think? If he ever shows us the flyer, he will be right. Or if aphex actually walks onstage with a drummer, he will be right. But until either of those happens, I'm calling it a coincidence.

No, it was real. and yes, Aphex was known to play since dec/jan

rage patton
03-26-2008, 11:46 AM
Thx man. Every time I see yours, I get a little sad.

Me too. But always remember...

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x224/joshmusic88/NeverForget.jpg

McAwesome
03-26-2008, 05:23 PM
29 days to go!!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-26-2008, 05:28 PM
29 days until Aphex Twin scambles your DNA and makes you beg for more. Seriously, Aphex Twin was a pretty big "get" outside of MBV (of a act that is actually do the rounds). I am very very very happy with that addition alone. Goldfrapp and the others are just icing on the cake of Richard D James. it will make a very pleasant way to close out my Friday evening..be there or be square...

gemnifer
03-26-2008, 07:18 PM
"omg there are tricks up there sleeve i better buy tix!!!!!11!!"

thats why they said it

Sonicifyouwantit
03-26-2008, 10:43 PM
"omg there are tricks up there sleeve i better buy tix!!!!!11!!"

thats why they said it

ohhhh, we were all wondering that. cool

fsm10
05-01-2008, 07:03 PM
^ I'd like to revisit this post on April 28th with you.

CalmerThanYou said he wanted to revisit my post after Coachella, so here goes.

- I went. I saw. I still thought it was mediocre. But I do have to say that without the Prince addition, it would have been a solid thumbs down from me. I watched the first 3 songs of Portishead Saturday night and just found it depressing and slow. I wouldn't say they suck necessarily. It's just not the type of music I like to hear in a festival setting. If they had been the headliner I would have gone home after the 3 songs I saw.

- Roger Waters was better than I expected. It's a shame the confetti drop failed to hit the target.

- M.I.A. was a disaster. I left when the lights came on in the middle of the set. Such a dumb idea to get people on stage out of nowhere. At least make it so you just select a couple people and no one else.

- Aphex Twin wasn't super impressive to me. I don't dance unless I'm with a bunch of friends, so since all my friends bailed on going to Coachella I want to see a good performance as well as have the music sound good. And to see Aphex Twin SITTING with a laptop just didn't do it for me. I realize the whole macbook setup is becoming the norm, but how do I know they haven't just pre-done their entire set on some high end audio editing program and hit play while faking some knob turning on stage? The music was fine, but showmanship was lacking. This goes for many of the DJs I had glimpses of in the Sahara tent.

- Fatboy Slim should have closed out the main stage on Friday. The Sahara was ridiculously packed. And while he also had a laptop at least he was walking around and engaging the crowd. I had intentions to jump over to Jack Johnson simply to see what the hell he was doing to warrant his headlining, but I just got caught up with Fatboy Slim for the entire set.

- The Verve and The Raconteurs were very good.

- I was surprised to not see a lot of moshers thrashing around for some performances.

I ended up wandering a lot this year and not finding acts that attracted my interest. I don't know if it's because I was pretty much alone the whole time or what. So there you go. A few solid shows, but for me, nothing blew me away to brag about to my friends. But again, the addition of Prince pretty much saved the whole weekend for me. Last year was far better for me and I think Sasquatch and Pemberton will be much better experiences for me this year.

Sonicifyouwantit
05-01-2008, 08:21 PM
12 months to go now! This year the festival grounds had been set up to perfection! I dont need the validation of surrounding friends myself. I can have fun alone or with friends. Coachella, AMAZING YEAR! PARTY OF THE YEAR!