PDA

View Full Version : Canopies

rage patton
03-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Last year, it fucking sucked waking up at 7 or 7:30 because my tent was a Sauna. So this year, I am going to do something about it. I talked to some people last year, and they said canopies help A LOT. Like, an extra hour or two of sleep. An extra hour of sleep sounds amazing to me. Not to mention, you have a cool place to chill while waiting for the festival gates to open. So I am going to get a canopy this year.
My question is, what type of canopy should I buy? Or, more specifically, what type of fabric/material should the canopy be made of? And the does the colour of canopy effect it? Obviously a black canopy would be a rediculous idea. So what colour reflect the sun the best? Any help/advice would be appreciated.
If any of you have caopies, feel free to post some pictures and/or link to pictures. Also, where you got your canopy, as that may help out others.
Hopefully this will help out many other people as well.

JClemy
03-22-2008, 03:35 PM
This is what I got
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8571751

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/72/70/01/12/0072700112181_500X500.jpg

We set it up yesterday and I think it will be pretty awesome. You need a few people to be able to have it obviously because it doesn't fit in one spot.

Look how happy those people in the picture look.

berchy
03-22-2008, 03:48 PM
i'm looking for something similar but a lot smaller cuz its only for one person. did you happen to see anything like that at walmart?

JClemy
03-22-2008, 03:50 PM
Thats actually where I bought it. Wal mart is your best bet to find stuff. Since your in Canada. Don't go to Canadian Tire. They have lots of stuff but it's way overpriced.

berchy
03-22-2008, 04:06 PM
true, i hate shopping at walmart though, even though they've been getting "greener" their practices are still very questionable. i don't know whether canadian tire is much better though, i mean they've probably been bought out by some american conglomerate anyway.

JClemy
03-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Wal Mart can be pretty bad but you know they also give a lot of jobs in areas that need them. I've never really had a problem with big box stores. They had that movie about people going against Wal Mart coming into their little town and the whole time I kept thinking how I didn't really care.

boarderwoozel3
03-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Whats the best option for those of us who refuse to give walmart a cent?

JClemy
03-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Dicks? I've only been there once.

fatbastard
03-22-2008, 04:54 PM
http://www.britsuperstore.com/acatalog/Farrows_Giant_Marrowfat_Processed_Peas_300g.jpg

BlueDevil50
03-22-2008, 05:01 PM
campmor.com

i got an amazing coleman canopy thats 15'x15' for only $70

JClemy
03-22-2008, 05:04 PM
Thats awesome. You would need a bunch of people for 15 x 15

BlueDevil50
03-22-2008, 05:05 PM
indeed, we have 6.

JClemy
03-22-2008, 05:22 PM
Awesome.

dontfeedthebird
03-22-2008, 05:31 PM
Look how happy those people in the picture look.

and they look sophisticated to boot!

JClemy
03-22-2008, 05:33 PM
All of us from Coachella will look like that. I'm sure it will be fine. just a little bit dirtier.

PrettyRagdoll
03-22-2008, 05:56 PM
Eh, I'm just hoping to camp near a cool person with a canopy like last year. There's only one of me and I'm already pushing it with my 7x9 tent

JClemy
03-22-2008, 05:57 PM
I doubt anyone will care. I know if I had room I wouldn't

M Sparks
03-22-2008, 06:52 PM
They had that movie about people going against Wal Mart coming into their little town and the whole time I kept thinking how I didn't really care.

That movie actually made me like Walmart more. Every argument they had was nonsense. The only one I questioned was the racism/sexism at the corporate level, but it was pretty much a he said/she said case.

Penn & Teller's Bullshit also did a good pro-Walmart episode.

I still don't go there much simply because it's just an awful shopping experience. Last time I went there was...oh yeah, to buy a canopy.

nbvwes
03-22-2008, 07:54 PM
This is what I got
http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/72/70/01/12/0072700112181_500X500.jpg

no offense, whatsoever, but that will do exactly dick until the sun's around the 11am postition through about 2pm... the sun being a problem is early morning and that thing offers no shade from the horizon... now if you sleep under it with no tent, then it should be COOL enough, but not blocked from any sun...

dear_amanda
03-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Agreed with above.. I think the sides being completely open is going to prove a major defect. It seemed the smart people last year had the side the sun rises & top blocked off.. I don't see much how this will help.. maybe I'm wrong..

rage patton
03-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Whatever canopy I buy, I am going to be attaching panels down the side, to block the sun from getting in. I plan on buying one of those canopies with 4 legs and protection at the top. Then, as I said, adding my own paneling down the side to block the sun.
My question is, what kind of fabric/material will work best? And are they any colours that are better then others?

dear_amanda
03-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Then, as I said, adding my own paneling down the side to block the sun.
My question is, what kind of fabric/material will work best? And are they any colours that are better then others?

Smart. I was initially thinking to bring a dark colored tarp for the sides of mine, but I'm trying to figure out if a lighter, more breathable material would be better.

Suggestions?

M Sparks
03-22-2008, 09:34 PM
I bought something called "broadcloth" for the sides. It really keeps out a lot of light, and it was really cheap. Like $1.50 a yard or something like that. I got six yards, which will wrap around the east and south sides of my canopy. It's 45 inches wide, so it won't hang all the way to the ground, but you could get twice as much and sew two pieces together.

I'm a little worried about airflow, but at least it will be better than a tarp. Oh, I got dark green...seemed to block almost as much light as black.

prettyenoughforyou
04-08-2008, 06:59 PM
so i have a question coachella camping vets. this will be my first year camping and we have two couples going together. this means we have 2 tents but 4 plots right? could i get a canopy of like 10 x 10 or maybe a little bit bigger? would that be fine? i read somewhere on here that you can only expand one way and that there are rows of sites. would be getting like a square area or would it be down a line? very confused at how this works. I would love to have a canopy!!!!

JClemy
04-08-2008, 07:10 PM
no offense, whatsoever, but that will do exactly dick until the sun's around the 11am postition through about 2pm... the sun being a problem is early morning and that thing offers no shade from the horizon... now if you sleep under it with no tent, then it should be COOL enough, but not blocked from any sun...

Yea but see I'm going to put a cover up on the sides. I'm also going to the Pemberton festival in BC and this will be prefect because it will help me to keep away mosquitos. This isn't my first Coachella and definitely not my first time camping.

Thanks for adding that though. I totally didn't think to add that and it's definitely helpful for a lot of people who wouldn't think of that. This will help keep the mid day sun off my tent though which should help a little with keeping the tent cooler.

Bud Luster
04-08-2008, 07:11 PM

Agreed with above.. I think the sides being completely open is going to prove a major defect. It seemed the smart people last year had the side the sun rises & top blocked off.. I don't see much how this will help.. maybe I'm wrong..

you guys are wrong. YOu just have to position your tent on the west side of the canopy and you are all set. My canopy is similar and it works like a charm.

M Sparks
04-08-2008, 07:23 PM
so i have a question coachella camping vets. this will be my first year camping and we have two couples going together. this means we have 2 tents but 4 plots right? could i get a canopy of like 10 x 10 or maybe a little bit bigger? would that be fine? i read somewhere on here that you can only expand one way and that there are rows of sites. would be getting like a square area or would it be down a line? very confused at how this works. I would love to have a canopy!!!!

You'll get a 16 x 16 plot. BUT, fitting two tents in might be tough, because one or more of the legs of the canopy would go through one of the tents.

You could join our camping group with me and Ragepatton and others. There are about 50 of us, and we're going to team people who need a little more space with people who need a little less. But it's for people who are looking for some sleep at night, so if you're looking to party 24/7, you don't want to hang with us.

djoz187
04-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Hey how do you guys think this will hold up? Its only like 30 bucks!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5494012

M Sparks
04-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Hey how do you guys think this will hold up? Its only like 30 bucks!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5494012

It'll hold up fine, but what are you going to use to hold IT up? :D

Read that description again...

djoz187
04-08-2008, 07:46 PM
I don't get it, it seems like it would hold up fine? It uses stakes I guess, I just hate that heat in the morning

M Sparks
04-08-2008, 07:50 PM
(ahem)

READ that description again.

djoz187
04-08-2008, 07:54 PM
If ur talking about 10 x 10 I'll be sharing with someone else...

is that what ur referring to?

OH got it needs the fucking gazebo first...thanks for testing me

faxman75
04-08-2008, 08:13 PM
I saw one at walmart tonight for $15. It was 10 x 10 I think. I considered buying it as our group may need a few. I may still get it.

prettyenoughforyou
04-08-2008, 08:37 PM
You'll get a 16 x 16 plot. BUT, fitting two tents in might be tough, because one or more of the legs of the canopy would go through one of the tents.

You could join our camping group with me and Ragepatton and others. There are about 50 of us, and we're going to team people who need a little more space with people who need a little less. But it's for people who are looking for some sleep at night, so if you're looking to party 24/7, you don't want to hang with us.

i saw the party all weekend group and the quiet group. i'd like something in between! we're young 19 and 20 and my best friends will be having their first coachella experiences.

but anyways. do you think its impossible to have a 10 x 10? i might just buy it and see what happens when i get there. walmart returns everything!

M Sparks
04-09-2008, 04:00 PM
You could always get lucky with your neighbors.

EDIT...and by that I mean your neighbors wouldn't mind sharing your canopy.

M Sparks
04-09-2008, 04:02 PM
If ur talking about 10 x 10 I'll be sharing with someone else...

is that what ur referring to?

OH got it needs the fucking gazebo first...thanks for testing me

I knew you'd get it eventually.

Plus, I was in the store, saw that on the shelf, and did the same thing... :D

JClemy
04-09-2008, 05:24 PM
I hate that stupid wind blocker. I did that a few times while looking canopies up.

carolinesgood
04-09-2008, 05:46 PM
pop up canopies work best - i think especially if you can tilt the sides down to shade a communal area, to which you are westernly of. also if you remove the canopy, it will decrease the possibility of a sudden gust taking it away - weights could provide additional assistance as opposed to tethers which i personally hate encountering on midnight bathroom runs...

Trick Loves The Kids
04-09-2008, 07:23 PM
canopies are the motherfucking shit

my group still needs to get one.

Rauuul
04-10-2008, 08:00 AM
I’ve been studying this subject the last two weeks. There are six of us going and I wanted a canopy so we can hang out before and after the shows. It’s hard as hell to find a Red canopy, but I found one.

I’ve decided I’m going to modify it to make it more artsy in the spirit of Coachella. I hope Red is not to hot during the morning.

Emmie01
04-10-2008, 10:39 AM
I bought something called "broadcloth" for the sides. It really keeps out a lot of light, and it was really cheap. Like $1.50 a yard or something like that. I got six yards, which will wrap around the east and south sides of my canopy. It's 45 inches wide, so it won't hang all the way to the ground, but you could get twice as much and sew two pieces together.

I'm a little worried about airflow, but at least it will be better than a tarp. Oh, I got dark green...seemed to block almost as much light as black.

How are you planning on securing it? Duct tape? Clothespins?

M Sparks
04-10-2008, 11:16 AM
How are you planning on securing it? Duct tape? Clothespins?

There are plastic loops on the canopy. My wife put interfacing and grommits on the cloth. So, either carabeaners (spell) or just tie it on with twine.

And I just remembered that I wanted to sew velcro cable ties on the bottom to hold it down. So thanks for the reminder... :D

Ready For the Floor
04-18-2008, 11:11 AM
Whats the best option for those of us who refuse to give walmart a cent?

I saw one at Costco on Los Feliz yesterday for 50 bucks. Couldn't find it on their website though.