PDA

View Full Version : amazing live acts?

gemnifer
03-18-2008, 04:49 PM
so most of us probably already know/have heard the majority of the line up, but its hard to tell from vids and tunes if they are amazing live. hot chip for example, there music rocks, but their cds dont seem like they would be good live, but their set last year was AMAZING! my question is if you've seen bands before and know that they are amazing live. and while were at it, any really bad live shows to stay away from

HongKongDon
03-18-2008, 05:00 PM
Electronic acts that are really good live:

Pendulum
Booka Shade
Cut Copy
Modeselektor
SMD
Kraftwerk
Calvin Harris
Aphex Twin

rage patton
03-18-2008, 05:13 PM
Gogol Bordello are absoultely amazing, outstanding, magnificent, fun, unbelievable, gypsy-tastic, wonderful, jaw-droppingly awesome, incredible, magnificent, energetic, monumentous, excellent, fantastic live.

All of the above words, and more, describe what Gogol Bordello are like live. It is hard to put into words have absolutely awe-strkingly awesome they were at Coachella last year.

Blinken
03-18-2008, 05:16 PM
gypsy-tastic is a great word.

CalmerThanYou
03-18-2008, 08:01 PM
Gogol has more energy on stage than perhaps 90% of the shows i've seen...Fuck do they rock.

I would definitely nail the asian drummer chick.

JSam67
03-18-2008, 08:07 PM
Man Man has a lot of energy, pretty fun live show. If people are on the fence about The Raconteurs and My Morning Jacket, I recommend seeing those shows - they are both excellent live rock acts. Of the 6 bands at Coachella I've seen, The Raconteurs are the only one I know I won't miss under any circumstance.

JClemy
03-18-2008, 08:10 PM
Gogol was amazing. I was too tired/grumpy to enjoy them last year so I'm glad I get a second chance.

Boourns
03-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Metric fucking owns live. Islands put on a great show, too. Saw them open for Metric, actually. Now there's incentive to bring your A game. I'm sure Portishead will be transcendent. I only heard Deatch Cab for Cutie do one song last year, and it was while I was walking around looking for the shortest food line (there were none) but it sounded good. I haven't really seen many acts playing this year.

Hell yes.

whynotsmile99
03-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Flogging Molly always put on an amazing show

Sonicifyouwantit
03-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Gogol has more energy on stage than perhaps 90% of the shows i've seen...Fuck do they rock.

I though manu chao was really good live too, close up there with gogol although not quite up to gogol par

Sonicifyouwantit
03-18-2008, 08:19 PM
Metric fucking owns live. Islands put on a great show, too. Saw them open for Metric, actually. Now there's incentive to bring your A game. I'm sure Portishead will be transcendent. I only heard Deatch Cab for Cutie do one song last year, and it was while I was walking around looking for the shortest food line (there were none) but it sounded good. I haven't really seen many acts playing this year.

Hell yes.

Saw metric at the fonda with crystal castles...it was a good show. Death cab can put on a pretty damn good show but ive seen lackluster sets too.

tripzz
03-18-2008, 11:30 PM
I've seen Roger Waters before. He is amazing as was Justice last year

whynotsmile99
03-19-2008, 02:31 PM
lets not forget Happy Mondays last year

hahahahahahha

Sonicifyouwantit
03-19-2008, 02:40 PM
lets not forget Happy Mondays last year

hahahahahahha

im too busy remembering teddybears...ahhh the good memories

M Sparks
03-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Put in another vote for Gogol. This will make 3 times in 367 days.

Also, MIA was a big surprise...not my style of music at all, but what a fun show.

I think the only other band I've seen was The Breeders in '94...not that great but I think it was just the poor sound at the venue.

jigsaw
03-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Slightly Stoopid

traviscanada
03-19-2008, 03:06 PM
I liked Minus The Bear when they were touring Meunos el Oso. I am probably seeing them again next wednesday hopefully.

JClemy
03-19-2008, 03:18 PM
I'm excited for the Raconteurs. Jack White has great stage presence.

PrettyRagdoll
03-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Metric - Seriously.. Two words. Emily Haines. She's incredibly hot and she with the rest of the band just put on great shows.

Flogging Molly and Gogol Bordello - Brilliant shows really fun.

M.I.A. - Best chance of getting on stage during a set is probably with her. GREAT shows. Even if you don't dig her music that much. Good times will be had

and Justice.

Other then that I was really looking forward to the Streets :nono

Sonicifyouwantit
03-20-2008, 11:43 AM
The Aristocrats!

summerkid
03-20-2008, 12:31 PM
Rap is really hard to pull off live, but MURS puts on a really good show

Hot Chip is absolutely amazing live (much better live than on record)

MGMT are really good live. Saw them open for Of Montreal and a lot of people thought they were better than Kevin Barnes and co.

Everything I have heard about the Raconteurs is they are absolutely great live band.

Stay away from Slightly Stoopid (worst fans ever combined with god awful music)

Death Cab is pretty mediocre live.

summerkid
03-20-2008, 12:32 PM
0_s21FhMpQo&NR=1

example of Raconteurs live.

jigsaw
03-20-2008, 12:35 PM
Rap is really hard to pull off live, but MURS puts on a really good show

Hot Chip is absolutely amazing live (much better live than on record)

MGMT are really good live. Saw them open for Of Montreal and a lot of people thought they were better than Kevin Barnes and co.

Everything I have heard about the Raconteurs is they are absolutely great live band.

Stay away from Slightly Stoopid (worst fans ever combined with god awful music)

Death Cab is pretty mediocre live.

So are you just rounding up all the rumors or have you actualy seen any of these bands live?

summerkid
03-20-2008, 12:38 PM
I have not seen the Raconteurs the rest I've seen.

paulb
03-20-2008, 12:39 PM
Justice and Boys Noize will be extremely fun at Coachella....dont miss those sets.

sbessiso
03-20-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm excited for the Raconteurs. Jack White has great stage presence.

understatement!

0_s21FhMpQo&NR=1

example of Raconteurs live.

aw man, what a build up!

jigsaw
03-20-2008, 12:47 PM
understatement!

aw man, what a build up!

I would say that video is 10,000x's better than when I saw them live. For some reason it seemed as if they ripped threw their songs really fast. Maybee, I was just invisioning Jack White to be a little bit more like Hendrix.

They only had the one album and one or two cover songs. I will give them another chance at Cochella but, I fully expect the most.

How long of a set do you think they will have? When is the new album coming out?

summerkid
03-20-2008, 12:49 PM
Probably will have a 50 minute set and the album comes out next tuesday.

and another video

3ATQFFwU0_k&feature=related

sbessiso
03-20-2008, 12:52 PM
aww i'm hoping for a bit more than 50 minutes

thank god i'm seeing them at bonnaroo too

Weeping Willow
03-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Metric
Roger Waters

= amazing live acts

summerkid
03-20-2008, 12:57 PM
ah well i guess arcade fire got an an hour and ten minutes last year so they could get that, but after looking at last years set times they'll probably get an hour.

jigsaw
03-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Probably will have a 50 minute set and the album comes out next tuesday.

and another video

3ATQFFwU0_k&feature=related

Okay, this must be a new song and I definitely more excited to see them now.

I hope they don't conflict with JJ. : )

jigsaw
03-20-2008, 01:01 PM
Metric
Roger Waters

= amazing live acts

This is good to know because I want to see them both.

summerkid
03-20-2008, 01:02 PM
okay, here's the thing about Roger Waters. The visuals are absolutely incredible and the stage set up too. Its a very elaborate show. Unfortunately, Waters voice which was never that strong to begin with hasn't gotten better with age and he's forced to sing songs that he probably couldn't have pulled off much better when he was young. He also uses backing tracks and backup vocalists to try and mask his deficiency and even has his guitarist sing the songs that he knows he can't pull off to kind of act as the stand in Gilmour (which is particularly irritating). I mean its a fun show you get to hear some great Floyd songs and see some incredible visuals, but it kind of leaves you with a bitter taste in your mouth.

summerkid
03-20-2008, 01:04 PM

its an old song it just doesn't sound anything like the one on the record. As the tour went on they reworked a ton of the songs and this is primarily the reason I have such high hopes for the new album.

jigsaw
03-20-2008, 01:04 PM
How is the guitarist at the guitar?

sbessiso
03-20-2008, 01:05 PM

its not a new song, its from their first (only, thus far) album

sbessiso
03-20-2008, 01:06 PM
its an old song it just doesn't sound anything like the one on the record. As the tour went on they reworked a ton of the songs and this is primarily the reason I have such high hopes for the new album.

yeah just like that first video of "store bought bones", not like the album, just even more mindblowingly amazing

jigsaw
03-20-2008, 01:07 PM
The reworked version, that we see, is what I was expecting more of. I swear last time I saw them they ripped through their whole catalouge.

jigsaw
03-20-2008, 01:08 PM
yeah just like that first video of "store bought bones", not like the album, just even more mindblowingly amazing

I feel you!

summerkid
03-20-2008, 01:10 PM
How is the guitarist at the guitar?

assuming you are talking about Roger Waters' guitarist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Kilminster

jigsaw
03-20-2008, 01:11 PM
HAHAHAHHA

Here is why I love Slightly. @ 1:54 it is amazing

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pzmogyeNzOY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pzmogyeNzOY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

summerkid
03-20-2008, 01:13 PM
my worst concert experience=slightly stoopid that's what i get for camping out at a stage all day for Wu-tang Clan.

jigsaw
03-20-2008, 01:16 PM
my worst concert experience=slightly stoopid that's what i get for camping out at a stage all day for Wu-tang Clan.

Wu Tang Clan sucks live and Wu Tang fans, huh. I was at the same show, Street Scene right?

summerkid
03-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Wu Tang Clan sucks live and Wu Tang fans, huh. I was at the same show, Street Scene right?

yup, and yeah i was disappointed in the Wu live, but at least I wasn't getting crushed up against the railing during Wu-tang.

jigsaw
03-20-2008, 01:27 PM
yup, and yeah i was disappointed in the Wu live, but at least I wasn't getting crushed up against the railing during Wu-tang.

And then Kanye came out and ruined your fuckin night.

JebusLives
03-20-2008, 03:39 PM
Nine Inch Nails is easily the best live act I have seen. Not at Coachella (though they were good) - I'm talking full concert. Last time I saw them, DFA1979 opened (it was their last show).

I will travel far to see them again.

traviscanada
03-20-2008, 04:09 PM
Nine Inch Nails is easily the best live act I have seen. Not at Coachella (though they were good) - I'm talking full concert. Last time I saw them, DFA1979 opened (it was their last show).

I will travel far to see them again.

its true that was a good show.