PDA

View Full Version : Don't Drink in the Desert

dancebitches
03-17-2008, 07:49 AM
alcohol can cause dehydration, which can be really serious and detrimental to, mostly, your weeked that you just spent hundreds of dollars on. not to mention the money you spent on that jager or jack that got you to the state of chills, diarrhea, vomitting, headaches, hypotension and even unconsciousness.

i say it because the risk is amplified in 105 degree weather.

that's why the beer tent is so cool and relaxing. to keep dehydration from happening.

but dancing is good. dance all you want.

Cancersticks1
03-17-2008, 07:55 AM
:rolleyes

justinaqui
03-17-2008, 07:58 AM
someone get the more you know picture ready!

captncrzy
03-17-2008, 08:00 AM
This is a weird post, but there's some truth in it. Growing up in the desert taught me some drinking fundamentals-one of which is don't drink a lot in the blaring sun. You can get really really sick. If you do, drink one serving of water after every drink to keep yourself hydrated.

dancebitches
03-17-2008, 08:02 AM
yes, i think that that's a good rule of thumb. one glass of water for every drink. because, don't get me wrong, i enjoy myself a drink. just not in the desert.

paganman7
03-17-2008, 08:04 AM
alcohol can cause dehydration, which can be really serious and detrimental to, mostly, your weeked that you just spent hundreds of dollars on. not to mention the money you spent on that jager or jack that got you to the state of chills, diarrhea, vomitting, headaches, hypotension and even unconsciousness.

that's why the beer tent is so cool and relaxing. to keep dehydration from happening.

Hmmm...

dancebitches
03-17-2008, 08:09 AM
the key words are "can cause". it doesn't always, unless it's consumed in massive amounts. and also, like i said, the heat of the desert helps. you know when you wake up after a night of drinking and you're ridiculously thirsty and your head is pounding -those are the symptoms of dehydration. of course, there's other stuff in there too beside dehydration. but in most cases - it's true.

wait i'll throw in an edit:

EXCESSIVE drinking can cause dehydration.

nationocean
03-17-2008, 11:07 AM
You are like sexual harassment panda!!

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/3153/306pandadanceev9.gif

paganman7
03-17-2008, 11:13 AM
the key words are "can cause". it doesn't always, unless it's consumed in massive amounts. and also, like i said, the heat of the desert helps. you know when you wake up after a night of drinking and you're ridiculously thirsty and your head is pounding -those are the symptoms of dehydration. of course, there's other stuff in there too beside dehydration. but in most cases - it's true.

wait i'll throw in an edit:

EXCESSIVE drinking can cause dehydration.

Relax homie, I agree with you completely.

JJizzle04
03-17-2008, 11:21 AM
haha...this is too funny. We drank hella beers last year and we were fine, just drunk. I'm from Canada's arctic, and the heat wasn't too bad. This topic seems to get blown outta proportion.

dancebitches
03-17-2008, 11:29 AM
it would be blown out of proportion if there were four times the amount of replies there are now. it's just something i thought i'd bring up. and yeah, you know, there are people who have much more tolerance for alcohol's effect on the body. but imagine all the little 100 lb party girls who come here thinking they're gonna get pissed every night and then one of them ends up in the hospital and they're wondering why.

i just think a lot of people don't really realize what bad of a mix it is - the desert and alcohol.

i don't REALLY care if people decide to drink. i mean, i'd have a beer too. but i know a lot of campers are planning on getting really really drunk and i'd just like to bring it to attention that there are consequences in some cases.

just being looking out for for my fellow coachella-ers.

dancebitches
03-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Relax homie, I agree with you completely.

oh i thought it was a sceptical "hmmm.."

paganman7
03-17-2008, 11:32 AM
oh i thought it was a sceptical "hmmm.."

It was...but I still agree with you.

dancebitches
03-17-2008, 11:35 AM
then what's to be sceptical about?

paganman7
03-17-2008, 11:39 AM
I was commenting on your conflicting statements about alcohol causing dehydration, particularly in the heat, and your statement that the beer in the beer garden prevents dehydration.

"that's why the beer tent is so cool and relaxing. to keep dehydration from happening"

dancebitches
03-17-2008, 11:47 AM
oooh i see. i must have said it wrong.

i meant that the environment of the beer tent (misters, shade, etc) prevent dehydration. like, in a way, they compensate for the damage you're doing while drinking.

does that make more sense?

M Sparks
03-17-2008, 11:52 AM
and your statement that the beer in the beer garden prevents dehydration.

"that's why the beer tent is so cool and relaxing. to keep dehydration from happening"

Ummm...the COOLNESS helps prevent dehydration, because you don't sweat as much.

It wasn't the clearest statement ever, maybe, but I'm not sure how you managed to interpret it so badly.

BTW...dancebitches is like a med student or something like that, so...

dancebitches
03-17-2008, 11:55 AM
no no no. just respiratory therapy. this isn't know-it-all-med-student talk. just normal, anatomy-physiology-class-lecture talk. oh and paganman7 probably has a phd, from the looks of it. but thanks marc, for defending me.

Cheddar's Cousin
03-17-2008, 12:11 PM
And dairy products make you phlegmish...

M Sparks
03-17-2008, 12:12 PM
Aw, you should have went with it. Everyone else is pretending to be someone they're not. :D

sbessiso
03-17-2008, 12:18 PM
i'm definetly one of those peeps that just can't (or maybe just doesnt want to) drink in the hot blazign sun, i feel nauseous just thinkign about it, plus at these fests, i have no desire to get drunk, i use other party supplies

Sonicifyouwantit
03-17-2008, 12:34 PM

ok mom/dad

dancebitches
03-17-2008, 01:01 PM
ok mom/dad
yeah. the mom thing is kind of schtick.

Sonicifyouwantit
03-17-2008, 01:23 PM
haha, get it!?

paganman7
03-17-2008, 01:27 PM

It wasn't the clearest statement ever, maybe, but I'm not sure how you managed to interpret it so badly.

Reading that post again, I'm not sure how I misinterpreted that statement either. At any rate, I wasn't trying to be a douche; I just misread the post and what developed seemed curious to me.

Sonicifyouwantit
03-17-2008, 01:38 PM

so...she's a med student. she knows that sun and alcohol dehydrate? wowsers what an education that must be.

dancebitches
03-17-2008, 01:40 PM
i meant to say that the mom thing is MY schtick. i'm a bit mom-like.

i didn't think you were trying to be a douche. though there are lots of overly critical, quick to react douches on forums, i try to treat people like non-douches because i'm not a douche, and i'd like people to treat me like i'm not a douche too.

so, yeah. i'm not being defensive, just carrying on a conversation while trying to clarify myself.

CalmerThanYou
03-17-2008, 01:41 PM
ftw...

http://hardwarelogic.com/articles/blogs/Website_Reviews_and_You/MoreYouKnow.jpg

dancebitches
03-17-2008, 01:41 PM
and please take the time to see my profile and rule out that i'm NOT A GUY.

dancebitches
03-17-2008, 01:42 PM
maybe i should that my avatar

dancebitches
03-17-2008, 01:42 PM
i'm really good at leaving out words when i type.

CalmerThanYou
03-17-2008, 01:43 PM
and please take the time to see my profile and rule out that i'm NOT A GUY.

Anyone can be anything on the boards. Seems sketchy...

Sonicifyouwantit
03-17-2008, 01:43 PM
i meant to say that the mom thing is MY schtick. i'm a bit mom-like.

i didn't think you were trying to be a douche. though there are lots of overly critical, quick to react douches on forums, i try to treat people like non-douches because i'm not a douche, and i'd like people to treat me like i'm not a douche too.

so, yeah. i'm not being defensive, just carrying on a conversation while trying to clarify myself.

you say douche a lot. j/k

dancebitches
03-17-2008, 01:50 PM
only when i have to.

M Sparks
03-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Reading that post again, I'm not sure how I misinterpreted that statement either. At any rate, I wasn't trying to be a douche; I just misread the post and what developed seemed curious to me.

That's OK...you're from Tucson...you have a right to claim to be a dehydration expert. :)

nationocean
03-17-2008, 03:00 PM
ftw...

http://hardwarelogic.com/articles/blogs/Website_Reviews_and_You/MoreYouKnow.jpg

that took long enough, it should have been right after the first post.. but owell.

nationocean
03-17-2008, 03:02 PM
Anyone can be anything on the boards. Seems sketchy...

For instance. I'm a wild Harper Rooster. I eat fuck buttons and live off the tears of virgins..

indeed.

CalmerThanYou
03-17-2008, 03:13 PM
I binge drink on the weekends...i'm sorry. I was more on point the other time i used that...

:(

HEADSTRUCK
03-17-2008, 05:20 PM
i will do the same i did last year, drink from the moment i get on the plane till the moment i pass out sunday nite. didnt have any problems last year am sure i wont this year. i guess growing up in milwaukee does have one advantage after all.

feather
03-17-2008, 06:22 PM
just drink when the sun starts to go down and you will be fine

Wheres the beef?
03-17-2008, 06:46 PM
yes, i think that that's a good rule of thumb. one glass of water for every drink. because, don't get me wrong, i enjoy myself a drink. just not in the desert.

thanks mom, and I'll be sure to look both ways before crossing the field too.