PDA

View Full Version : This Year'e Themes (Band Names)

CaliMag
03-14-2008, 09:44 AM
What’s in a name?

Every year there seems to be common trends/fads/themes in the names of bands. Types of names seem to drift in and out of fashion. One of the most common names is a band named after the person (or persons) that formed the band. Aside from egomania, I see no reason for this – it’s boring, unoriginal and almost always wholly unearned. I actively avoid bands that use just the name of the founder/lead singer etc… DJ’s that just go by their name are especially suspect, because its usually not enough just to go by their REAL name but commonly they also use pictures of themselves on their album covers (witness Paul van Dyke as the prime example) – totally unwarranted.

So skipping bands named after themselves this year’s biggest theme seems to fall under Family & Kids type names:

Aphex Twin
Kid Sister
Little Brother
Sons & Daughters
Akron Family Band
The Teenagers
Cold War Kids
The Cool Kids
Boys Noize
Black Kids

This year’s color of choice is definitely “Black”
Black Kids
Black Mountain
Black Lips
Turbonegro

Location/Place names are also popular but the motivation of these bands is very different. You have bands like Portishead (who are from a place near Portishead, England) who probably couldn’t think of name so picked a local place and then a band like “I’m from Barcelona” who are actually from Sweden so were going for that 90s irony thing.
Portishead
Dimitri from Paris
I’m from Barcelona
Architecture in Helsinki
Manchester Orchestra
AUSTIN TV
And then the more abstract location names:
The Streets
The Field
Islands

Another common theme that never goes out of fashion is sex. And where would Drugs and Rock & Roll be without sex?
The Breeders
Orgasmic Curses
American Bang (a double entendre to be sure)
Holy Fuck (ibid)
The Bird & the Bee

Which also leads to this year’s animal which is oddly: the Bee. Because of:
The Bird & the Bee
The Bees

Usually its something bad ass like Wolf (Parade, Eyes, Mother, etc.) – go figure?

CalmerThanYou
03-14-2008, 09:55 AM
bored? hehe...

CaliMag
03-14-2008, 10:51 AM
bored? hehe...

Yes bored and also I wanted to start a thread without the possibility of someone saying that there were already 12 threads just like it. I am pretty sure the number of threads like this one are less than 12... :P

M Sparks
03-14-2008, 11:31 AM
There are....only 7.

This is, however, the only thread ever anywhere that contains an "Apostrophe E" in the title.

msklvr
03-14-2008, 11:36 AM
There are....only 7.

This is, however, the only thread ever anywhere that contains an "Apostrophe E" in the title.

sigged. too damn funny, sir.

CaliMag
03-14-2008, 11:41 AM
There are....only 7.

Hmmmm.... do you think I should fix that or do you think this would make people more likely to read and respond?

CaliMag
03-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Ouch - this thread gets moved because I strayed off topic.

Hardly fair Ma'am.

CalmerThanYou
03-14-2008, 11:56 AM
There are....only 7.

HAHA! Well done sir...

And thread started, i was just fucking around with you. I love that you put in that much effort. i thought about it for a second then ADD kicked in

Sonicifyouwantit
03-14-2008, 12:05 PM
I miss the year of the wolf...wolf parade, wolf eyes...don't think wolfmother made it that year (04 maybe) wolfmother came in 06 right?

CaliMag
03-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Wolfmother was indeed in 06 in the Mojave.

CaliMag
03-14-2008, 01:00 PM
Another catagory I was toying with but seemd a stretch was the elements:
Aesop Rock
Spank Rock
Goldfrapp (stupid name in soooo many ways)
Santogold
Chromeo

Also with "Does it offend you, yeah?" we have an opportunity for a theme. We could have the "Yeah yeah yeahs," "Clap your hands say yeah" and "Yaz(oo)" all added making a pretty strong theme. The last one has been suggested as a possible add.

nahuatldream
03-14-2008, 01:15 PM
I believe Cafe Tacvba is named after a cafe in Mexico City, that's a place, eh?.

LarbFlonsen
03-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Like MSTRKRFT last year, MGMT is this year's band that hates vowels. This also seems to be the year of the one-named female artist: MIA, Santogold, Sia, Yelle, Adele, and Duffy.

M Sparks
03-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Ouch - this thread gets moved because I strayed off topic.

Hardly fair Ma'am.

Just about everything gets moved here from the Line Up forum. I still don't understand the logic all the time...though this thread is weird enough to qualify I guess.

Cpt. Funkaho
03-14-2008, 04:37 PM
This also seems to be the year of the one-named female artist: MIA, Santogold, Sia, Yelle, Adele, and Duffy.

http://wiki.ytmnd.com/images/thumb/6/63/Bushpoland.jpg/200px-Bushpoland.jpg

You forgot Uffie.