PDA

View Full Version : Who do you owe your musical tastes to? (Think hard...)

bmack86
03-13-2008, 10:41 PM
I always assumed, somewhat correctly, that I had developed my musical tastes from my dad, who was always playing music in our house, and got me into it in the first place. However, I think my taste for indie developed elsewhere. I hope everyone out there remembers a small show known as Pete and Pete. I am rewatching the episodes right now, and I realized that almost all the music on that show was from obscure, no-name, jangly slacker bands of the 90s. Either that, or Stephen Merritt. I'm not sure exactly the affect it had on me, but I do know that I watched the show religiously as a kid, and the opening song still hits me in all the right places.

bballarl
03-13-2008, 10:44 PM
Pete and Pete was an important part of my youth.

I think I owe my love of the blues to my guitar teacher, and that in turn led to my love of simple garage rock, which in turn led me to everything I listen to now in one way or another.

PassiveTheory
03-13-2008, 10:53 PM
Holy jeezus... I can remember the opening credits to that show, BUT I CAN'T REMEMBER THE THEME... AUGH.

I, thankfully, caught a LOT of early 90s shows in syndication on Nick before, you know, they stopped running them all together.

It's funny, I grew up listening to oldies on the radio, and discovered crap nu metal bands on my own, so I'm definitely thankful for my sister. She got me to listen to the Pumpkins, Tool and Sublime, and that, pretty much, was the start of where I am today.

bleep
03-13-2008, 11:01 PM
i owe my current musical tastes to whoever directed the music videos of Supergrass's "Alright" and Blur's "Country House." back in 1995, the humorous content (relative to a wee kid) of those videos instigated my current obsession with rock and all its different sub genres.

Hannahrain
03-13-2008, 11:02 PM
http://sp8.fotologs.net/photo/40/12/43/ninia_pop/1126344317_f.jpg

Sushov23
03-13-2008, 11:02 PM
since I was a kid in the early 90's I was drawn to the "alternative scene" from MTV when it wasn't playing crap. I remember the old Chili Pepper videos, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage, A lot of Old school hip hop(yes that included vanilla ice at the time). I wasn't big on Nirvana(and in a lot of ways i'm still not to fond of Nirvana or Kurt). There was a lot more but I can't remember. I got my oldies from my dad(The beatles, Rolling stones, The doors, CCR, Eagles, Tom Petty, Eric Clapton, Marvin Gaye, Al Green, WAR, and a lot of other classic Rock and R&B.

STALINZZZ
03-13-2008, 11:20 PM
When I was a little kid (like 4 or 5 y.o...1988-ish) I would sit in the basement of our house with dad while he got drunk and listen to music with him. He had a huge record and cd collection, everything from Sgt Peppers to Donovan to Abba. I would put on records and cds that he owned and I would try and stump him, sort of like a "name that tune" sort of game. We had a kick ass stereo system back then too (two huge klipschorn corner speakers) and I remember him putting on Joshua Tree, I had no idea back then that it had just barely come out, anyway he would put that on and crank the stereo up extremely loud "Where the streets have no name" would get progressively louder (you know how the start kind of builds up) and I would run upstairs scared of the loudness.

That is the first music memory I have. My first CD that I owned myself was Milli Vanilli's "girl you know it's true", my next cd was MC hammers "Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em".

From ages 8 to 15 I went through all the normal phases. I listened to rap (2-pac, Notorious, Bone Thugs), Nu-metal stuff (Korn, Limp, Bizkit). I also went back in time and had a Butt/Classic rock period where I listened to Motley Crue, Poison, Warrent, White Lion etc as well as Foreigner, Journey, Night Ranger etc.

At about the age of 16 (1999) I was listening to korn, deftones, tool and I heard a band playing in a record shop and I wanted to know who it was. I went and asked and the guy told me it was a band called Thumb. Thumb were a german band who pretty much rocked and still do. They were my first exposure to a band that was not "mainstream" and from that point on I made it a point to find awesome artists that were not mainstream. So for the last 9 years I have dabbled in almost every genre possible and don't plan to stop ever.

So in summary: my dad made me love music, but my yearning for something different ultimately put me where I'm at today, but to answer the question I guess I can attribute it to the guy that had Thumb playing in the record store I walked into.

Sonicifyouwantit
03-13-2008, 11:27 PM
Steve Perry

I think spin or filter did an article on pete and pete

Sushov23
03-13-2008, 11:32 PM
What sucked for me with music was I grew up Christian, so I hardly ever listened to Rock. While my dad told me about the bands I mentioned. I'm the one that had to find out about the music. I basically did all this shit on my own. Music naturally called to me. I even listened (still do) to classical music. Pop. Mexican, Latin music. All sorts, it's what matters.

Sonicifyouwantit
03-13-2008, 11:34 PM
what does that have to do with growing up christian?? nevermind I dont want to know.

wmgaretjax
03-13-2008, 11:35 PM
I owe my taste in music to Karlheinz Stockhausen, Arto Lindsay, Gyorgi Ligeti, and Charles Hayward.

Sushov23
03-13-2008, 11:36 PM
what does that have to do with growing up christian?? nevermind I dont want to know.

dude when you grow up christian, all of a sudden all music that isn't christian music is BAD. Talk about some shit being the devil. I remember I couldn't even play The Beatles in the car when I first started listening to it.

Sushov23
03-13-2008, 11:37 PM
DESPITE the fact my dad loved all those bands. I got him and my mom to come around though. Now on road trips, my CD's and Ipod are required.

Sonicifyouwantit
03-14-2008, 12:13 AM
dude when you grow up christian, all of a sudden all music that isn't christian music is BAD. Talk about some shit being the devil. I remember I couldn't even play The Beatles in the car when I first started listening to it.

said I didnt want to know...

pocket
03-14-2008, 12:18 AM
Holy jeezus... I can remember the opening credits to that show, BUT I CAN'T REMEMBER THE THEME... AUGH.

I, thankfully, caught a LOT of early 90s shows in syndication on Nick before, you know, they stopped running them all together.

It's funny, I grew up listening to oldies on the radio, and discovered crap nu metal bands on my own, so I'm definitely thankful for my sister. She got me to listen to the Pumpkins, Tool and Sublime, and that, pretty much, was the start of where I am today.

its polaris, well that was the band. also pete and pete is on dvd now cause of the nickelodeon rewind collection. I forgot that iggy pop was a character on the show. as well as ll cool j, juliana hatfield (from the band blake babies), gordon gano (violent femmes), debbie harry, david johnson (the new york dolls), luscious jackson (the entire band), kate pierson (b-52's), michael stipe (rem), sarah shannon (velocity girl), and syd straw (she was in a project with michael stipe). Thats just the musical artists they had playing characters on the show. i know the magnetic fields also did songs for the show. sorry i was watching it on dvd last night...

fasttrack
03-14-2008, 12:42 AM
my older brothers were into the l.a. punk scene when i was a kid and the only time i recall hearing any music back then was the rare occasion of them picking me up from school and hearing whatever was on the radio. KNAC and i don't know the station but i do remember one of them being "piiiirate raaaadioooo!". i didn't really take much interest in music until i started skateboarding in the summer of 1993. between meeting new friends through skateboarding and watching skate videos i was pretty much bombarded with several genres of music all at once. one video that is still a favorite for me today is called "Plan B : Virtual Reality". there's a lot of different types of music on this one. this and other videos lead me to several types of music that i still enjoy.

Pixiessp
03-14-2008, 01:19 AM
I grew up around music. my dad is an awesome musician and there were always other musicians jamming in our garage. He turned me onto latin jazz like Cal Tjader,Mongo Santamaria,Tito Puente etc.
But what really set the tone for my current musical tastes was MTV's 120 minutes with Dave Kendall. That's were I discovered the Cocteau Twins,NIN,The Pixies,Jesus and Mary Chain,Xmal Deutschland,Clan of Xymox,Chapterhouse,Lush,Ride and so many more.

Sushov23
03-14-2008, 01:23 AM
MTV used to be important.

Pixiessp
03-14-2008, 01:23 AM
oh I forgot. there used to be a radio show in Santa Barbara called Fear of Music with Fear Heiple(DJ) that was broadcast every Sunday from 8 pm to midnight(i think these were the hours) and I listened to it religiously.
Heard a lot of stuff for the first time there.

Pixiessp
03-14-2008, 01:24 AM
MTV used to be important.

haven't watched MTV in years and yes it used to be the shite.

luckyface
03-14-2008, 01:37 AM
I have a couple of friends who helped me harness the music I was growing to appreciate, but a lot of what I listen to and truly love has been through finding the music myself. But if we are talking about artists/albums that lead me to the genres of music I listen to today, that is a different story.

summerkid
03-14-2008, 01:42 AM
hmmm well I started listening to rap at like age 6 just because my older cousins did. Stuff like Wu-tang, Snoop (the album cover for Doggystyle will forever be etched in my mind), Tribe, and De La all that stuff. My dad had a big influence on me too got me into a lot of stuff. He took me to buy my first cd in 5th grade and ended up getting me The Replacements-Tim. He also got me into the Flaming Lips, White Stripes, and Wilco while most of my friends were listening to nu-metal or blink 182 type shit. I don't really remember much after that I'm sure I bought cds here and there some good, some awful. In 8th grade I remember buying Kid A based off some review I read and that was like a fucking revelation. The next big influence was probably a friend I made in high school sophomore year who got me into electronic music and introduced me to the likes of Arcade Fire and the Unicorns.

humanoid
03-14-2008, 01:46 AM
haven't watched MTV in years and yes it used to be the shite.

check out Subterranean on MTV 2....its an hour long indie video show at like 1 am on Monday mornings.....MTV completely blows, but Subterranean shows great videos for 1 hour a week

Pixiessp
03-14-2008, 01:48 AM
check out Subterranean on MTV 2....its an hour long indie video show at like 1 am on Monday mornings.....MTV completely blows, but Subterranean shows great videos for 1 hour a week

i will....thank you.

summerkid
03-14-2008, 01:52 AM
MTV 2 had the Knife performing live (an entire show) at like 2 am one time i was like wtf.

Sushov23
03-14-2008, 01:57 AM
i watch that most sunday/monday nights. I'm so glad my nu metal shit didn't go further than early korn stuff, and one limp bizkit album. WHO, dodged a bullet, because early korn kicked ass, and significantly other from limp was legit.

summerkid
03-14-2008, 01:58 AM
a lot of my friends were into nu-metal or blink 182 type shit...I'm just pleased to say I never went down that road / :

PassiveTheory
03-14-2008, 02:20 AM
a lot of my friends were into nu-metal or blink 182 type shit...I'm just pleased to say I never went down that road / :

It's funny... I have a buddy who went from nu-metal (in Korn and Disturbed) to death/dark/hardcore/black metal (Hatebreed, Morbid Angel, etc.) throughout high school.

Then I get in contact with him over the summer before college and find out that's he's actually creating industrial electronic music, and digging stuff like Infected Mushroom and VNV Nation... Totally out of left fucking field, but still, I'm happy for the guy. His beats aren't that bad, either

thelastgreatman
03-14-2008, 02:28 AM
Yeah? His beats aren't bad when he apparently has liked nothing but utter shit music? Sounds dubious.

PassiveTheory
03-14-2008, 02:32 AM
Given the music he used to listen to, believe me, he could have done FAR worse.

thelastgreatman
03-14-2008, 02:40 AM
Oh, well thank god he's only mostly horrible.

PassiveTheory
03-14-2008, 02:46 AM
So Randy, who do you owe your musical taste to?

Bosco
03-14-2008, 02:48 AM
Video Games. Particularly from Sega Genesis and it's Sonic the Hedgehog series.

onjYGtkAWx4

_T7hdIh-gtw

TVEyGntyOZQ

-LYB7iLZNWE

uQTb46RLW0g

thats just a few, there is a bunch of other great ones too.

After video games, it was mostly my own curiousness with the help of the internet and some MTV that developed my music taste.

Cdubby
03-14-2008, 04:00 AM
without reading any of this thread, early MTV influenced my wide range of musical taste. I loved old Madonna videos "Like a Prayer" being one, Prince's "Batdance", George Michael's "Too Funky" to Nirvana's "Smells like Teen Spirit", then I saw Pavements "Cut Your Hair", Beastie Boys "So Watcha' Want" and it was on from there, Prodigy, Radiohead, Chemical Brothers......the list goes on, definitely a product of the 90's

signmeup
03-14-2008, 04:40 AM
my older brother.

Tylerdurden31
03-14-2008, 05:24 AM
Referring to what I listen to now....

Well my brother got me into Jawbox and Fugazi when I was like 14. That didn't apparently stop me from listening to a lot of radio crap. I will however thank radio for getting me into Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, STP and Alice In Chains. Then there was a dark period of listening to a lot of crap. College...ah college, Modest Mouse, Mogwai, Trail of Dead....and so began the golden age of music in mikerdurden's world.

gaypalmsprings
03-14-2008, 06:19 AM
CKLW in Windsor, Ontario

Memorial_07
03-14-2008, 06:55 AM
My half-sister introduced me to Tool about 7 years ago...she would always play the song "Sober" and I really liked it.
The same year, I bought Battles of Los Angeles. And for two and a half years I listened to RATM every day. Then from there on, I'm been in love with metal since I was 9. Now, my musical taste evolved more.

thestripe
03-14-2008, 07:36 AM
My Dad used to play Pearl Jam, REM, Bob Dylan, and the Rollingstones throughout my up bringing. I remember hearing Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" at a very young age. He would come home from work, drink a beer and play the album while I did my school work. So I guess I owe it to my Dad, which is kind of funny because aside from Dylan and few others he can’t stand most of the stuff I listen to now.

MarkO
03-14-2008, 07:52 AM
This guy.

http://www.rte.ie/2fm/davefanning/

HunterGather
03-14-2008, 07:52 AM
I was a child growing up in Germany.
So I was exposed to alot of Techno/euro-pop.
So many good memories of an endless amount of duos who generally followed the same formula (rapper and female vocalist over techno beats).
Eventually I got out of that, and into hip hop and r&b. Mostly whatever I was exposed to on TV and the radio.
(The majority of my CD collection is rap and r&b stuff....but I dont really buy CDS anymore...so my digital collection is a better look into my musical tastes).
It wasnt til I was about 19 or 20 that I got into the current state I am in.
I love SOO many different types of music, its crazy.
For the most part, electronic stuff and electronic related things and downtempo stuff.
House and trip-hop-ish music is my favorite, but I also love alternative rock and "indie" rock (lack of better words).

I've kind of become a music snob and feel other people around me are kinda sheltered and just listen the the BS on the radio and MTV.

However, its not to say I dont like that stuff too.

I like alot of the non-mainstream stuff just as much as the crap (for the most part) thats on the top 40 countdown and getting heavy MTV video play (how can you not like A BAY BAY and Lil' Jon?? :) )

I owe my musical tastes to simply growing up and leaving a somewhat sheltered life back in Germany :)

As tolerant as I am about music, there is a genre I can't get into....heavy metal and related shit....like Slipknot and stuff similar to that...I never really looked into that kinda music so I can't think of a better example, sorry.

Young blood
03-14-2008, 07:58 AM
Bluegrass festivals up and around Spokane, Washington and Post falls/Coeur d'Alene Idaho. My mom would pack us up in the van and we would go camp in the woods with other hippies and jam out and these different festivals. We would also go down to Telluride blue grass festival and jam out. We were a jam family for a brief moment.

Young blood
03-14-2008, 07:59 AM
I would also like to thank marijuana and LSD.

C DUB YA
03-14-2008, 07:59 AM
Losing my virginity to Echo and the Bunnymen.

shotglass75
03-14-2008, 08:01 AM
Coachella 2003. That is when everything changed for me. That's when I realized I had to stop listening to the radio and do some searching for myself. That's when i would read these boards and read about new bands that I never heard of.

mimi3000
03-14-2008, 08:33 AM
Most of my influences came from my older brothers... one was into alot of rock music like floyd, aerosmith, kiss & frampton. The other was into more dance & new wave, & disco like donna summer, b52s, grace jones, missing persons, the cars. My older sisters had no influence on my musical tastes. They were into top 40 and I guess I liked some of that too. Then in high school i loved metal & rock but still liked other stuff too. After graduation I got more into new wave more and industrial & alt rock & hip hop. And then I met my boyfriend who's a dj and he really got me into house music and other stuff, like Cocteau Twins. He was a big 4AD fan. I still have some mix tapes he made for me when we first started dating!! Which was eons ago! Ha thats one of the artists on the tape, EON. He's prolly my biggest musical influence as he still djs and is constantly searching for new music. We pretty much like the same things but he was never into metal growing up and can't relate to it and likes to poke fun at me about it. And he likes Linkin Park and I despise them.

Young blood
03-14-2008, 08:53 AM
Coachella 2003. That is when everything changed for me. That's when I realized I had to stop listening to the radio and do some searching for myself. That's when i would read these boards and read about new bands that I never heard of.

The internet has been the biggest influence ever for discovering new music.

miscorrections
03-14-2008, 09:02 AM
My older brother, and some internet radio station I accidentally stumbled upon one day way back when. Thank god, because before that I was down with my friends' music and they had/have horrible predilections.

canexplain
03-14-2008, 09:05 AM
I got my love of music from my mom (my dads were always leaving so not them) … she loved country music and used to take me to all the bars so I grew up in cowboy bars listening to Johnny cash and people like that …. From there I just listened to every radio station I could to hear new music … kids, there was a day back then, where there was very very limited 24 hour stations …there is the station in Chicago, geez now I forget what it was that was on 24 hrs a day and I used to have my little am radio, hid under the covers at night, and listen for hours … then I was in Japan during high school and was a singer and manager of a band (the Blind Lemons) and wrote for our high school paper as a music critic (I was the White Rabbit) .. During those years, I listened to every kind of music so I could try and be fair (my worst review ever on a song was The Ballad of The Green Berets but even in 66 I was anti war so that figures) …. Then for a couple of years I was a DJ for KPOI in Hawaii which was early free form FM radio where we would put on an entire side of an LP and just space out and make all sorts of silly sounds on the radio … then it was the 60’s and 70’s and music was so important to the “movement” that we woke up and went to sleep listening to tunes … then show after show for years …. Now I get a lot of new ideas of groups to listen to, from yes, this board and others … so it goes … sorry to ramble so much this early Friday morning …. X****

PrettyRagdoll
03-14-2008, 09:14 AM
I grew up listening to my dad playing Aerosmith, The Police, Queen and other such bands as a little person. But I mean... Growing up in the 90s really only gave people two options. Listen to crappy pop bands or listen to alternative and indie rock... And clearly my chosen path is obvious.

Oh and speaking of MTV... I still remember when Pearl Jam's 'Jeremy' video wouldn't get played on MTV because of the ending.

chiapet
03-14-2008, 09:15 AM
My dad is mostly responsible for my overall taste in music and for the need to collect it. We were always listening to music - the obvious oldies, but also more obscure and interesting stuff - and he wasn't one of those people who gets "stuck" in his favorite time period/genre, he was always listening to new stuff. For the most part he had brilliant taste. I also listened to a lot of non-US music when I was young, as we had satellite with MuchMusic, rather than MTV.

Then, later, I'd say the first WEEK of dorm life in college, between roommates, dorm mates, college radio, having several music channels, and being in a more metro area - was exposed to a lot more music beyond what I'd picked up from my dad or from small town record stores.

Later in college when MP3s started to become popular, there were two friends who ripped a significant portion of their music collections and became responsible for at least 1/2 of the music I bought and listened to, even still today. My schooling on indie and electronic. :)

msklvr
03-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Many people and things have influenced my transformation into... msklvr!

My grandfather used to fill his house with big band jazz. From this I started playing sax in the 4th grade. Still have it. But my ligature broke. Gotta get it welded.

My dad got me a little crappy blue record player when I was 4. He used to kick me down 45s and albums of kids stuff and songs he felt I would like.

My dad also had a huge record cabinet that I was not allowed to touch. So I moved my record player to the basement. I used to wait until he was asleep and I listened to every record he had at least three times. The cabinet contained some really bad and good stuff. Much jazz, which is good. But some really bad country and much easy listening. I just soaked it all in.

When I got bored with my Dad's record collection, I was old enough to have some $$. Probably age 8. I bought a radio. I flipped like a mad man through the stations listening for anything good. In 1981, the radio sucked. So for the next three years or so I borrowed and dubbed any tapes I could. (My crappy radio had a dual cassette) Mostly metal and rock. The radio, and my Dad's stuff, sparked the fire of musical rebellion in me. I had to listen to music that was hard and fast.

1984. Wax Trax records. If you don't know, find out. I'd say this label out of my hometown was the single biggest factor in my musical tastes.

1988. Got a car! There was no internet so I became a music magazine junkie. Read and listened to anything I could. And drove wherever I had to to get rags, lps, tapes, CD's, tickets to shows, etc.

1991 Saw the Grateful Dead for the first time. Soldier Field. This is the best thing I have ever seen. Just made my passion for music all the stronger. Thanks, Jerry!

1998 I bought my first computer. The internet is the best thing that ever happened to music. I could read and research and listen to whatever. And then Napster beta...

And here I am, chatting with you fine people!

JustSteve
03-14-2008, 12:53 PM
a major influence for me back in the day was pirate radio here in l.a., it all started in 1989...

haha, found this site which outlines the bands they played in their first 3 years.
http://www.kqlz.com/piratemusicbytrip.html

canexplain
03-14-2008, 01:13 PM
a major influence for me back in the day was pirate radio here in l.a., it all started in 1989...

haha, found this site which outlines the bands they played in their first 3 years.
http://www.kqlz.com/piratemusicbytrip.html

ha, winger gets 4 songs, nelson gets 2, and queen gets one song .... pirate lol ... pirate was wolf man jack over the border in mexico .... x***** but i do understand the times ....

Wow I learn something new everyday …. I didn’t realize that The Coral came out of the lead dude from Lightening Seeds …. I liked a couple of the LS’s songs back then …. We have since seen The Coral, maybe 2 years ago here in a club ….x**** this came from looking up the playlist of the pirate radio station post ….

Mr.Nipples
03-14-2008, 01:37 PM
MTV and the summer of 1996. I broke my leg and was pretty much stuck in my living room throughout that whole summer and would watch MTV all day since we just had it added to our cable plan. Before that, I always listened to whatever my dad was blasting through the house(george jones,ccr,queen). It was when i was watching MTV that i really found music that I could call my own. Sebedoh, The Eels, Primitive Radio Gods, Superdrag, Butthole Surfers, Nada Surf, Oasis...all were my first bands thanks to MTV. I dont know who the hell the program director was at that time, but they were doing something right...

Young blood
03-14-2008, 01:43 PM
1984. Wax Trax records. If you don't know, find out. I'd say this label out of my hometown was the single biggest factor in my musical tastes.

errrrr I will stop you right here. Are you from Denver or Illinois? Some of the greatest bands ever came from the Wax Trax! label. Here in Denver we had the connection of the family staring the record store here before selling it and moving to chicago. In high school it was the fore front of my musical universe.

mob roulette
03-14-2008, 01:50 PM
pirate was wolf man jack over the border in mexico

Yep.

canexplain
03-14-2008, 01:54 PM
errrrr I will stop you right here. Are you from Denver or Illinois? Some of the greatest bands ever came from the Wax Trax! label. Here in Denver we had the connection of the family staring the record store here before selling it and moving to chicago. In high school it was the fore front of my musical universe.

i was going to say that, but was a little confused (not that i am not usually confused) ...x****

Young blood
03-14-2008, 01:58 PM
ha, winger gets 4 songs, nelson gets 2, and queen gets one song .... pirate lol ... pirate was wolf man jack over the border in mexico .... x***** but i do understand the times ....

Wow I learn something new everyday …. I didn’t realize that The Coral came out of the lead dude from Lightening Seeds …. I liked a couple of the LS’s songs back then …. We have since seen The Coral, maybe 2 years ago here in a club ….x**** this came from looking up the playlist of the pirate radio station post ….

Did you know that wolfman jack is now a radio dj here in Denver @ kool 105?

gratytrainridesagain
03-14-2008, 02:03 PM
I owe a lot of people mostly family so I'll just name them.
My dad was into metal and hard rock so I was really kinda raised on stuff like Metallica and White Zombie. He was also a drummer so there was a ton of Rush, Tower of Power, and anything Terry Bozzio had a hand in.
Then it was my uncle who was listening to FNM, Pearl Jam, NIN, and Radiohead. So every time I would hang out with him it was all great stuff from the nineties, my favorite at the time and still love to this day is Butthole Surfers.
This is starting to take to long so I'll just sum it up fast.
Grandpa=Folk, Country i.e. Johnny Cash and Hank Williams
Grandma=Jazz i.e. Miles Davis, Art Blakey and John Coltrane
Cousin=Hip-Hop, Rap i.e. Tribe Called Quest, NWA and Biggie
Stepdad=Blues, Soul, Funk i.e. Etta James, John Lee Hooker, Robert Johnson, George Clinton and James Brown

Grandma
03-14-2008, 02:04 PM
washboards

bmack86
03-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Talk more about Pete and Pete, people

gratytrainridesagain
03-14-2008, 03:03 PM
The nickelodeon show?

bmack86
03-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Yes

Sushov23
03-14-2008, 03:05 PM
I loved pete and pete when I was a kid. Show rocked

gratytrainridesagain
03-14-2008, 03:07 PM
My favorite episode was the one where the chubby one tried to cram all the president marshmallows in his nose

JSam67
03-14-2008, 03:08 PM
God I miss Pete and Pete.

I owe my original love for music to both my parents. My dad for having excellent taste in classic rock and newer alternative music (and he always had music being played in the house) and my mom for having musical ability and pushing me learn how to play the piano.

But I never really discovered the world of indie music and how I needed to explore beyond the radio until Coachella last year. Really shifted my change in musical taste from 90's grunge/alternative to current indie alternative stuff. And Daft Punk at Lolla last year helped me finally get electronic music.

Mr.Nipples
03-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Pete & Artie VS The Atlantic Ocean

I now make sure to kick the oceans ass whenever im in it...

JustSteve
03-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Talk more about Pete and Pete, people

for some reason my dad really liked the show during it's run on nick...last year i bought him the dvd's so he can watch them while he is sailing around the world.

fatbastard
03-15-2008, 05:09 AM
From the start, I would have to go with my parents. We use to have one of those old consoles that had a TV with a turntable on top. They were big jazz fans. They would crank the stereo on Saturday nights and play Ahmad Jamal, Cal Tjader, Gloria Lynne, and Dinah Washington while drinking bottles of Budweiser. They would talk about all the places they use to go to; the It Spot, Shelly's Manne Hole, and The Dunbar hotel. They would spend Saturday nights talking about all of the concerts they use to go to. I couldn't understand a lot of what they were talking about but I could tell by the passion in their voices that it meant something to them. I started playing their records in the 3rd or 4th grade at night in my room without the lights on. It was always the same. I closed my eyes really tight trying to understand what was going on with the song, and almost every time, I fell asleep by the end of the 1st song. The only thing that woke me up was the turntable arm swinging back after the album ended. Since that time, my taste for jazz has grown. The wife and myself sometimes talk about going to the defunct Vine St bar and grill or the old Catalina bar and grill. We’re been fortunate to see a lot of jazz. Dizzy, Chick, Herbie, Jerry, and about 10 Playboys. I would say that that are several people or parts of my life that I owe my musical taste to. This would be the first one that came to mind.

R3d Snapper
03-15-2008, 06:35 AM
No one, all my friends and family listen to shit, it sucks.

msklvr
03-17-2008, 05:06 PM

Chicago. Isn't it still there in Denver, too? Different owners maybe? But still Wax Trax.

Denver is my other home, btw. My Grandparents lived there for some time and I did too for about three years.

mountmccabe
03-17-2008, 06:03 PM
The music I heard when I was young was mostly from my father. He would listen to mostly classic rock - the Beatles and Neil Young and such. He'd play his records and reel to reels and he had an 8-track player in the car. There was some variety, plenty of classical music and things like Evita. I still listen to all of this stuff. Well, not all of it. Foreigner has not graced my ears in quite some time.

I got a little bit from my older sister but nothing significant or lasting.

One of my other friends was into more modern radio rock such as Def Leppard and Motley Crue so I went there next. He had gotten into a broader variety of music from his older brother but this just means early to mid 80s pop hits and pop rap. I mostly don't listen to this any more.

I grew up Christian too but would still listen to non-Christian rock. Then in high school a friend had some Christian rock tapes like Petra and Whiteheart. I had other friends that introduced me to Rush and Dream Theater. I mostly don't listen to any of this any more.

Then came the internet where I read about Radiohead's new album, Pablo Honey and ran out and bought it. This helped me trust internet-sourced recommendations such as My Bloody Valentine, Spacemen 3/Spiritualized and the Jesus and Mary Chain (all from a Christian rock newsgroup, no less.) I still listen to these artists.

The internet sustained me including a long phase to solidify and greatly expand my classical listenings until I heard the records played by a friend at work which included In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, Lonesome Crowded West and Entroducing. He also had some Talking Heads and Johnny Cash but those would take longer to grab me. I still listen to all of this stuff.

Then my friend flew out for Coachella 2001 and we shared music on the trip. And then he moved out to Phoenix and we started going to shows. A lot of shows. And I absorbed his record collection. And I still listen.

Then came this message board where I, say, bought a Boards of Canada album from all the talk about them leading up to the 2003 festival and bought The Cat and the Cobra mainly because of somebody's avatar (Essex something?) And then into board mixes and other mixes and I started to get into country and rap. And another message board has guided my metal pursuits. And it continues.

menikmati
03-17-2008, 06:20 PM
my dad's girlfriends daughter, Jamie. I've known her since 1990 or so (she's 30 now), and she was the one who had purchased the SLTS cassette single, which she played and then I heard for the first time way back when, which then got me hooked on watching MTV nonstop waiting for the video to air, only then to run back and play the cassette (rinse and repeat this process many times).

Other than that people like my mom, dad, other family members, or whatever friends, I've never gotten music influences from. My dad was too into country rock (still is) when I was younger, so I couldn't stand when he played his music, so I would go lay in bed or go into the garage and listen to Nevermind. I'll still get into arguments with my dad over music, because I call him ignorant because he'll try to argue with me when I bring up topics like how electronic music is a genre of music, and bands like Kraftwerk are important. So whatever.

Plus, I owe some people off this board for getting me into certain bands, can't forget that. But Jamie yeah, thank god for her.

microserfs21
03-17-2008, 08:55 PM
My mom for more classic stuff and other than that I owe it all to an online message board. Pretty lame but that is how I got into all the stuff I love now. The same forum still gives me all sorts of new discoveries all the time too.

tubescape
03-17-2008, 09:15 PM
I can't really attribute my musical tastes to my parents, but I can say that they allowed me to me more appreciative of different genres. When I was in the backseat on family road trips it was KLITE or KOAST (LA/OC stations in the early 80s) or tapes of Kenny Rogers or Anne Murray. They have their place, but not my bag.

I got my first "ghetto-blaster" (installed in my suburbia tract home) around 1982 and around that time I was mostly tuned into KROQ. Yes, KROQ. This was before Kevin and Boner, Limp Bumcake and the station's new found appreciation for Metallica (I'm still amazed how much that station has changed!?!?). Rodney on the 'Roq was really crafting a great show and in the process turning me into a indie rock fan. I also have to credit MTV around this time as well for shaping my musical appreciation and turning me on to new sounds.

My first live musical experience that introduced me to new music and has forever changed me was the very first Lollapalooza (the one held at Irvine Meadows). There I got to see Jane's Addiction, NIN, Ice T & Body Count, Living Colour, Souixsie, and Henry Rollins. This was the epitome of my musical adolescence. I also have to thank this kid that I met as junior in high school named Arthur. He was just this geeked out looking asian kid, but man his musical tastes, unknowing to me at the time, really aligned with what I was into... he got me to buy records by the Smiths, Teenage Fanclub, Pixies, and Weezer. Anyways, this is turning into babble. Thanks Rodney Bingenheimer, MTV VJs from the 80s, and Arthur. Also should probably throw in my jazz history teacher at UC Irvine, as I am now much more apt to go listen to a live jazz set at a club. But most of all thank you Coachella for all the new bands I've been able to discover since attending the festival in 2002.

algunz
03-17-2008, 09:42 PM
I had to think a while about this. My influences and thus my tastes are all over the place. My dad pumped out The Stones and Queen while my mom was a diehard Beatles and folk fan. But they also dabbled in Sinatra and classical. My house was always filled with music, and I thank my parents for providing a nonstop soundtrack to my childhood. In about 6th grade though, I began to explore music on my own. This musical exploration was mostly inspired by my teenage neighbor who lived across the street. (She used to have these raging parties that always had a live band and were awesome to spy on as 11 year olds.) Her name was Kim, but my dad called her Cannabis Cambodia. She introduced me to Fishbone, Madness, Billy Idol and many of the local OC punk bands. My dad thought these new sounds were fun, but my mom was not quite a fan. I've since been influenced by many others - friends, my brother, my husband, the radio and TV, but I got to admit that most of the new sounds are discovered right here. Thank you.

donthasselthehof
03-17-2008, 10:50 PM
My parents and their constant playing of arrow 93.1 when i was a kid

M Sparks
03-20-2008, 06:21 PM
But still Wax Trax.

I've got one of the original copies of the "Black Box" set (Which, oddly, came in a silver metal box...wrapped in fishnet.)

It came with a bunch of reel-to-reel tape stuffed inside...I never tried to listen to it, but supposedly it had stuff on it.

Good times, good times. Only thing is, for every great Wax Trax album I bought, I wound up buying some boring monotonous Wax Trax album...just because it was on Wax Trax.

rage patton
03-20-2008, 08:55 PM
I have been thinking about this incredibly hard since this thread was created. And it is hard for me to nail it down to one person. It was rather a succession of events which has led to where I am now. A complete and totaly music addict.
The first music group which really grabbed me was The Backstreet Boys. I am not even joking here. This was when I was in grade 4, right after "Back Streets Back" came out. From there, up until around grade 6, I listend to all the top 40 hits. Thn in grade 6, and new radiostation came to Vancouver, it was called 104.9 XFM. I was intruiged by it, because my parents wouldn't let me listen to it.
At the very same time, my grade 6 teacher was telling us the evils in modern music. One band he said to be very carefull and to avoid at all costs and no matter what, do NOT listen to thier lyrics, was Rage Against The Machine. He said they were devil worshiper who hated God and Democracy. Coincidentally, at the same time, two of my cousins were starting to get into rock music. One night, while I was at their house, they were playing Rage Against The Machine, and I asked who it was. They told me, and I told them what my teacher said about the. (Keep in mind, I was in grade 6 and one of them was the same age as me, and the other was a year older) They laughed about what he said. And as I was listening, I found myself strangely taken with the music. So when I left, they gave me a burnt copy of the Battles of Los Angeles. I still have that CD.
After that, I started listening to XFM non stop. My dad actually didn't care much, but my mom wanted to me stop at all costs. I would hide where my mom couldn't find me and listen to the radio on headphones.
Now I am in grade 7. And without getting into details, I wasn't one of the popular kids in the class. And they would always bug me because I didn't listen to Eminem, Dr. Dre and whatever the other rap and/or Top 40 acts were. I don't know why, but I liked finding out bands on my own, rather then listening to what the other kids said. I realize how elitist that sounds, but that is how I felt. In grade 7, I also bought my very first CD with my own money. It was the Gorillaz self titled album. It is also one of the only albums of the first 10 or so that I actually still listen too.
After this, year after year I started getting deeper and deeper into music. And actually, I think I am still only getting deeper, and I can't see myself regressing anytime soon.
So, in short my music taste is owed to: my narrowminded grade 6 teacher, my two cousins (one who unfortunately died recently), my mom not wanting me to listen music that did not have her blessing and douches in my elementary school. And I am extremely happy with the way everything has turned out.

M Sparks
03-21-2008, 05:51 AM
One band he said to be very carefull and to avoid at all costs and no matter what, do NOT listen to thier lyrics, was Rage Against The Machine. He said they were devil worshiper who hated God and Democracy.
:lool

Was this a PUBLIC school? Or were you going to a religious school?

Our public schools may suck down here in the US, but at least the teachers aren't allowed to inject their crazy religious beliefs into the lesson plan.

I was already feeling old this morning...when RATM's first album came out, I was already almost too jaded to, er, rage against the machine.

luveebunni08
03-21-2008, 08:38 AM
i love seeing homage to Pete & Pete. that show ruled.

i guess my musical influence was a combination of my whole family (my brother mostly), and still is. we all like a wide variety of music. my brother kinda reminds me of rob in high fidelity, minus the relationship problems. he's the one i have to give credit for bringing music into my life in an obsessive way.