PDA

View Full Version : Line Up To Take Back Your Insults About Paul's Sleeve Tricks, Doubting Cocksuckers

thelastgreatman
03-11-2008, 07:17 PM
HMM?! Are we fucking happy yet?

idrive1life
03-11-2008, 07:25 PM
I'm still waiting for announcement on JJ's cancellation! j/k

Bravo Paul!

bobert
03-11-2008, 07:27 PM
This is a good start, for sure. I was happy with the lineup already, but Aphex is a pretty big time add. He rarely performs, doesn't he?

JebusLives
03-11-2008, 07:33 PM
I am now officially happy with the lineup, though my friends who bailed this year are still not changing their minds.

Also, I'm greedy. One more big add?

brycerosen
03-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Goldfrapp, Serj Tankian, Aphex Twin, Above and Beyond not bad at all

but I am also greedy and want more

shakermaker113
03-11-2008, 07:39 PM
I have to be cynical and say that now we are doomed. now we're going to expect this every year. more so than we already were.

we're being spoiled.

theburiedlife
03-11-2008, 07:39 PM
I'm so sorry for ever doubting you GV, I'm fucking ecstatic right now.

brycerosen
03-11-2008, 07:40 PM
I have to be cynical and say that now we are doomed. now we're going to expect this every year. more so than we already were.

we're being spoiled.

just enjoy it, dont be so negative

bmack86
03-11-2008, 07:40 PM
Aphex is an amazing, spectacular, phenomenal add. I'd see him over almost anybody.

instinct
03-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Although, I am ECSTATIC about Aphex Twin being added (probably more excited for him than anyone else).. I still think this years line-up is weak compared to others. Sorry.

rage patton
03-11-2008, 07:45 PM
I knew GV had something up thier sleeves. I never doubted it for a second. Where is summerkid? He is not gonna believe this. I will be honest though, I was really hoping it was going to be The Prodigy, but I guess not. I don't know much Aphex Twin, but I do know this add is a HUGE deal.
Also, Coachella got 4 incredibly rare acts this year. Portishead, Kraftwerk, Fatboy Slim and now Aphex Twin. For that, we should be thankful to GV. As far as I know, Kraftwerk is the only one with plans for other US shows. And that is only a few. Major Props GV.

Hugo1
03-11-2008, 07:45 PM
no not really happy yet. what happen to The Mars Volta or The White Stripes?

gratytrainridesagain
03-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Although, I am ECSTATIC about Aphex Twin being added (probably more excited for him than anyone else).. I still think this years line-up is weak compared to others. Sorry.

Not for me I was thinking about going to that Europe just for that ATP fest and this has the 2 acts I wanted to see most from that and plenty more most of which are better. I think this is now my favorite Coachella lineup ever at least that I have/will attend.

rage patton
03-11-2008, 07:48 PM

The Mars Volta didn't want to play and Meg White has fucking anxiety, so they got the Raconteurs instead. Are you happy now?

gratytrainridesagain

You sir are an ass

shakermaker113
just enjoy it, dont be so negative

oh I am quite happy, I must admit. but seeing what 2006 did for our expectations last year, I can't imagine what we will be expecting next year. gv are going to have a hard time topping these adds.

I'm glad they pulled through though. holy crap, aphex twin.

Hugo1
why

thelastgreatman
03-11-2008, 07:49 PM

Aphex is the least of reasons you're wrong about that. Cut it out.

I knew GV had something up thier sleeves. I never doubted it for a second. Where is summerkid? He is not gonna believe this. I will be honest though, I was really hoping it was going to be The Prodigy, but I guess not. I don't know much Aphex Twin, but I do know this add is a HUGE deal.
Also, Coachella got 4 incredibly rare acts this year. Portishead, Kraftwerk, Fatboy Slim and now Aphex Twin. For that, we should be thankful to GV. As far as I know, Kraftwerk is the only one with plans for other US shows. And that is only a few. Major Props GV.

Don't put Fatboy in that group, please. He's not "incredibly rare," and he's not good either.

The first one is terrible, the other one has been replaced by the better band dude made because he got tired of having a shitty drummer.

rage patton
03-11-2008, 07:52 PM
Don't put Fatboy in that group, please. He's not "incredibly rare," and he's not good either.

Fatboy Slim is an incredibly rare act for North America and he is a huge draw. Whether or not you like him, doesn't change that fact. God. Just be happy for the people who are excited to see him.

thelastgreatman
03-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Um, well, no. Rage was a rare get too. Didn't make the festival better. In fact, made it suck more. Sorry, you don't get credit just for getting a rare act--and Fatboy really isn't in the same league of "get" as the other three anyway--doesn't excuse that he is completely out of place in that company.

superfiction
03-11-2008, 08:50 PM
i sorta agree i wouldnt put him in the same league as portishead kraftwerk and aphextwin. but fatboyslim does come here very rarely.

Bud Luster
03-11-2008, 08:57 PM
My vasocongestion has finally led to a full on erection.

I will be honest though, I was really hoping it was going to be The Prodigy, .

Ok, why are you so hung up on The Prodigy? They really are an act that is far better on recording than live. The live show is just a bunch of screams, squeals, and yelps. Everything after Gilted Generation pretty much blows anyway. Fat of the Land is decent I guess.

fatbastard
03-11-2008, 09:06 PM
I may go back to the previous threads and make a list of all of the newbies who were making negative comments about this year's Coachella. I just need to think of a witty title.

summerkid
03-11-2008, 09:07 PM
I Where is summerkid? He is not gonna believe this. I will be honest though, I was really hoping it was going to be The Prodigy, but I guess not. I don't know much Aphex Twin, but I do know this add is a HUGE deal.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!! I still can't believe this, I will gladly eat crow about all the things I said about this years lineup. Aphex Twin holy shit and to a lesser extent but still awesome Goldfrapp!

Bud Luster
03-11-2008, 09:12 PM
it only took the add of Aphex Twin for you to completely change your mind about the lineup?

rage patton
03-11-2008, 09:17 PM
HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!! I still can't believe this, I will gladly eat crow about all the things I said about this years lineup. Aphex Twin holy shit and to a lesser extent but still awesome Goldfrapp!

Hahaha. I KNEW you were gonna be shocked. I told you additions were comming man.

superfiction
03-11-2008, 09:18 PM
i think if the line up came out as stands now. it would have been to much more praise. i still think jj is a wtf artist on this bill but who cares. so many awesome acts under the headliners. the unique artists that coachella draws is why i sarted making the trip to begin with. 2 months ago i didnt even really want to go anymore. but now after checkign out the lineup and the addition of these two great acts im stoked out of my mind

psychic friend
03-11-2008, 09:22 PM

we're being spoiled.

this has already happened since 04. you spoiled bitches. lol

menikmati
03-11-2008, 09:25 PM
anyone remember the backlash of the original 2006 lineup announcement? Sheesh, it was pretty bad, and look how things turned out. Always trust your local GV.

betao
03-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Ok, why are you so hung up on The Prodigy? They really are an act that is far better on recording than live. The live show is just a bunch of screams, squeals, and yelps. Everything after Gilted Generation pretty much blows anyway. Fat of the Land is decent I guess.

Their live show is fucking amazing. That is all that needs to be said.

ThomThom
03-11-2008, 09:51 PM
I feel like a spoiled bitch.

MarkO
03-11-2008, 09:54 PM
.......... Ok, why are you so hung up on The Prodigy? They really are an act that is far better on recording than live. .......

I saw them twice years ago. They'll kick your head in live. I'm not a fan of anything after Jilted .... but I'd catch their set again.

Sonicifyouwantit
03-11-2008, 10:31 PM

my only question is, did you doubt it?

thelastgreatman
03-11-2008, 10:33 PM
Nope. I have faith in the man.

gratytrainridesagain
03-11-2008, 11:43 PM
I met him last year such a nice and down to earth guy I hadn't even realized who I was talking to (I was pretty messed though) til I got home and watched the DVD again.

Boourns
03-11-2008, 11:59 PM
anyone remember the backlash of the original 2006 lineup announcement? Sheesh, it was pretty bad, and look how things turned out. Always trust your local GV.

Yeah, I remember. But I was content with the lineup even before the additions...liked the headliners and there were a lot of bands I liked to a significant degree. Bloc Party being in the second line was a huge stretch, of course, but once Daft Punk and Massive Attack were added, it became the most epic thing ever.

All the vets that hated this year's lineup aren't going to have their minds changed, I'm afraid. Primarily Radiohead fans spending a thousand bucks or more to see Radiohead twice at APW, obviously.

But back to the subject at hand. Yeah, overall it's still not my favorite lineup, but it's still more special than the other American festival lineups announced so far. And Goldenvoice really went above and beyond with this FREE FUCKING TRAIN. So, yeah. I officially apologize for my expressions of disappointment, kneejerk outbursts, and contributing negativity.

:)

thelastgreatman
03-12-2008, 01:35 AM
All the vets? It was mostly you, Passive, and a few other douchebags. Not really a brain trust.

roberto73
03-12-2008, 05:41 AM
I already liked this year's lineup, but I'm not impressed with the adds. Where's my thread?

shakermaker113
03-12-2008, 07:01 AM
this has already happened since 04. you spoiled bitches. lol

who was added in 2004? I don't remember any adds. or are you referring just to the quality of the lineup in general that year?

anyone remember the backlash of the original 2006 lineup announcement?

I don't recall the backlash at all. maybe I should go back and re-read that thread, but I seem to remember it being full of positive posts.

thelastgreatman
03-12-2008, 07:03 AM
I already liked this year's lineup, but I'm not impressed with the adds. Where's my thread?

I continue to envy your signatures even as they change, sir.

But I agree with you. You start the thread, I'm over my limit for the month already.

summerkid
03-12-2008, 09:13 AM
I don't recall the backlash at all. maybe I should go back and re-read that thread, but I seem to remember it being full of positive posts.

oh there was a huge backlash. A lot of people were bitching about Tool and their fans and about how the lineup was weak at the top (because well it was) until they added Daft Punk and Massive Attack then everybody started praising it.

Boourns
03-12-2008, 09:33 AM
All the vets? It was mostly you, Passive, and a few other douchebags. Not really a brain trust.

Actually, everyone I know outside this board that has been to Coachella was like "ewww, no way I'm going!" except for two people. Out of fifteen or so. I wonder if Aphex Twin will change their minds. Half of them are irrational Radiohead fans that don't consider any headliner but Radiohead or Bjork cromulent, though.

And surely you've noticed a lot of names from last year no longer posting here, too.

Boourns
03-12-2008, 09:35 AM
who was added in 2004? I don't remember any adds. or are you referring just to the quality of the lineup in general that year?

Jimmy Eat World was added and removed a few days later. Beck, Kool Keith, MF Doom were added a couple days before the fest.

I don't think anyone was added in 2005. If they were, everyone was too distracted by Cocteau Twins and Doves dropping out.

MarkO
03-12-2008, 09:35 AM
How would he notice ? He's too bust babbling on in another thread and another thread and another thread ....

thelastgreatman
03-12-2008, 09:54 AM
Actually, everyone I know outside this board that has been to Coachella was like "ewww, no way I'm going!" except for two people. Out of fifteen or so. I wonder if Aphex Twin will change their minds. Half of them are irrational Radiohead fans that don't consider any headliner but Radiohead or Bjork cromulent, though.

And surely you've noticed a lot of names from last year no longer posting here, too.

Yeah, no one whose taste I respect went "ew" to Roger Waters and Portishead, but a lot of people whose taste I'll never respect again did.

Boourns
03-12-2008, 09:56 AM
A lot of indie kids today don't know or care about people like Roger Waters. Completely wrapped up on pitchfork bands nobody will remember two years from now. I definitely understand the attraction to discovering new things, but not exclusively. Show respect for elders, etc. Maybe I'm being too harsh and BARR or "that guy from Animal Collective" will headline Coachella 2042.

gratytrainridesagain
03-12-2008, 09:57 AM

I think this is mainly due to Rage last year and god how the board sucked so much worse last year

thelastgreatman
03-12-2008, 09:59 AM
A lot of indie kids today don't know or care about people like Roger Waters. Completely wrapped up on pitchfork bands nobody will remember two years from now. I definitely understand the attraction to discovering new things, but not exclusively. Show respect for elders, etc. Maybe I'm being too harsh and BARR or "that guy from Animal Collective" will headline Coachella 2042.

Dude, are you making excuses for everyone else or for you?

Boourns
03-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Neither. Just thinking aloud. And that was actually a condemnation post.

summerkid
03-12-2008, 10:05 AM
I still have some problems with Roger Waters headlining, but I've made that clear.

jonnypark
03-12-2008, 10:05 AM
I believe my insults were directed at Serj Tankian

Sonicifyouwantit
03-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Yeah, I remember. But I was content with the lineup even before the additions...liked the headliners and there were a lot of bands I liked to a significant degree. Bloc Party being in the second line was a huge stretch, of course, but once Daft Punk and Massive Attack were added, it became the most epic thing ever.

All the vets that hated this year's lineup aren't going to have their minds changed, I'm afraid. Primarily Radiohead fans spending a thousand bucks or more to see Radiohead twice at APW, obviously.

But back to the subject at hand. Yeah, overall it's still not my favorite lineup, but it's still more special than the other American festival lineups announced so far. And Goldenvoice really went above and beyond with this FREE FUCKING TRAIN. So, yeah. I officially apologize for my expressions of disappointment, kneejerk outbursts, and contributing negativity.

:)

Im one of the vets that had no worries, knowing that each year will be amazing

scoop49er
03-12-2008, 01:03 PM
my original opinion:

weak headliners (although roger waters and portishead will be great, jj is such a negative for me)
strong mid-tier bands
strong lower tier bands

i still feel the same.

im there..

Bud Luster
03-12-2008, 01:16 PM
A lot of indie kids today don't know or care about people like Roger Waters. Completely wrapped up on pitchfork bands nobody will remember two years from now.

I'm gonna grab every mop headed skinny bitch jeans wearing motherfucker by their goddamn throat, turn em up-side-down, and swab out the fucking
port'os with their head. I think this might keep me too busy to check out any bands.

MarkO
03-12-2008, 01:59 PM
I still have some problems with Roger Waters headlining, but I've made that clear.

I would have never thought he would be considered for Coachella but I'm glad he was and I'm looking fwd to seeing the show.

On a side note, I watched Gilmours new(er) live dvd the other day. Spectacular, Bowie took lead vocals on Comfortably Numb.

deeznutz
03-12-2008, 02:15 PM
To thelastgreatman,

Stop pretending like you know anything about Aphex Twin.

thelastgreatman
03-12-2008, 02:22 PM

FUCK YOU. Did I make that clear?

amyzzz
03-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Yeah and me. I'm still going to Coach though (and APW). I was always going to at least Saturday. I'm hoping Aphex and Goldfrapp will please my husband enough to want to come Friday--please be Friday adds!

thelastgreatman
03-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Yeah, well, YOU would, Amy. You're in good company with all the Rage fans and pretentious untalented critics. Have a good time not being there on Sunday, like the dumbest possible fucking choice that could be made.

Ugh.

amyzzz
03-12-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm going all 3 days, you numbskull.

psychic friend
03-12-2008, 03:11 PM

i was referring to how people have become spoiled for the most awesome line up ever invented. try and keep up with the topic order.

MarkO
03-12-2008, 05:28 PM
For the 5 or 6 of us that Aphex Twin doesn't do anything for ...... any more adds ?

sbessiso
03-12-2008, 06:24 PM
aphex twin and goldfrapp don't count as tricks up one's sleeve in my book, but I'm in the minority on this one

thelastgreatman
03-12-2008, 06:26 PM
I don't care that much about them either. But Aphex is a big deal for "those people." It's a trick up a sleeve, I suppose, considering the rarity level. Paul pulled off a lot of rare acts this year.

sbessiso
03-12-2008, 06:29 PM
yeah, it's ok, i have just now officially accepted that no bands that I thoroughly enjoy/would love to see will get added to the lineup

so long
modest mouse
yeah yeah yeahs
the hives
junior senior
missy elliott (in the tent!)
the b-52's
etc.etc.etc...

thelastgreatman
03-12-2008, 06:32 PM
YYYs are working on new album. Modest, I dunno. The rest don't matter too much, although Love Shack WOULD fucking rock.

sbessiso
03-12-2008, 06:36 PM
fucking rock lobster tripping baaaaaalllllsssss

go YYY's!

c'mon man, modest mouse would be insanely good, maybe you're not a fan, I love them

junior senior would be an "experience" for me. kinda important to my highschool experience (blah blah)

missy? duuuuuude, fucking misdemeanor, the sahara would go nuts

and fucking hives don't touch florida. at all. i need to see them

Sonicifyouwantit
03-12-2008, 06:43 PM
we still dont know if this is what he meant by trick and thats what counts. This could have been something he didnt know about months ago when he made that statement...honestly I think it was just a comment he made and people ran with it and gave it too much meaning.

gaypalmsprings
03-12-2008, 06:53 PM
http://www.penz.com/hobbies/gay/trick.jpg

sbessiso
03-12-2008, 06:59 PM
haha tori spelling, so gay(palmsprings)

TonyWonder
03-12-2008, 07:59 PM
we still dont know if this is what he meant by trick and thats what counts. This could have been something he didnt know about months ago when he made that statement...honestly I think it was just a comment he made and people ran with it and gave it too much meaning.

I listened to the press conference live and I remember him saying tricks, plural. He said it in a way that sounded like we should expect surprises to be announced at a later date...almost as if he sensed that some people might initially be disappointed. It definitely wasn't "just a comment".

Tricks =
Luxury camping
Coachella Express
Goldfrapp
APHEX TWIN!!

Sonicifyouwantit
03-12-2008, 08:52 PM
I listened to the press conference live and I remember him saying tricks, plural. He said it in a way that sounded like we should expect surprises to be announced at a later date...almost as if he sensed that some people might initially be disappointed. It definitely wasn't "just a comment".

Tricks =
Luxury camping
Coachella Express
Goldfrapp
APHEX TWIN!!

I think the coachella express is a really cool idea, Ive never heard of a festival giving free passage to and from the event.

do you think these were worthy tricks? jusk askin'

TonyWonder
03-13-2008, 04:52 AM
I think the coachella express is a really cool idea, Ive never heard of a festival giving free passage to and from the event.

do you think these were worthy tricks? jusk askin'

I think so.

I'm taking them up on the upgraded camping. The train is fantastic considering that it's free and they are building a makeshift station just for Coachella. Goldfrapp and Aphex Twin are both rare and excellent adds, imo.

I'm hoping that one last trick is a mini-orchestra for Portishead (they could use it for the Verve too!) :)

summerkid
03-13-2008, 09:36 AM
aphex twin and goldfrapp don't count as tricks up one's sleeve in my book, but I'm in the minority on this one

What? you don't like goldfrapp? I'm pretty sure you are lying about being gay now.

summerkid
03-13-2008, 09:37 AM

yeah, remember everybody was reporting that goldfrapp was confirmed before the lineup came out? It looks like a trick was def. pulled there.

CalmerThanYou
03-13-2008, 10:01 AM
Could be tricks at the show we don't even know about since we're not there yet.

: /

Like Magicians running around with long sleeves...

thelastgreatman
03-13-2008, 10:53 AM
Wait til you see the art this year. All I'm saying.

Sonicifyouwantit
03-13-2008, 11:05 AM
each year the festival grounds get more interactive and it seems the artists get more creative...kinda like, "do you think we could get away with this?" "I dont know, try it."

CalmerThanYou
03-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Wait til you see the art this year. All I'm saying.

I hope you are right on this, this aspect alone is why i love festivals and why coachella kicks in faces.

ZackQ
03-13-2008, 06:41 PM
I'm posting this in every thread related to the additions, so if you've read it before please disregard. But with a small hip hop line up this year, how perfect would Del or A Tribe Called Quest be? Just sayin....

TonyWonder
03-13-2008, 07:12 PM
I'm posting this in every thread related to the additions, so if you've read it before please disregard. But with a small hip hop line up this year, how perfect would Del or A Tribe Called Quest be? Just sayin....

Del just dropped a new album on Tuesday and would be a great last minute add.

CalmerThanYou
03-14-2008, 09:07 AM
Fucking Love Del.

What's the theme of this one?

Edit: Never mind, that was retarded. Through the power of itunes i found it and am listening now...

His 3030 album is insane.

rage patton
03-14-2008, 09:34 AM
The B-52's being added would make me deleriously happy.

Sonicifyouwantit
03-14-2008, 11:07 AM

thought tribe said they werent performing together anymore...read it in a mag cant remember if it was filter or spin or something...anyone with more info or clearer info on that?

summerkid
03-14-2008, 11:17 AM
then get de la soul or something.

thelastgreatman
03-14-2008, 11:22 AM
Meth and Red performing BLACKOUT. I SAY IT AGAIN.

JSam67
03-14-2008, 11:27 AM
Yeah, the Aphex add doesn't do anything for me personally, but I understand why some people are really excited for it. I would have been much happier with just one add over the conglomerate of 5-6 adds there's been, if that one add was:

Band of Horses

morelifefucker
03-15-2008, 05:01 AM
then get de la soul or something.

fuck yeah , de la soul and tribe called quest. they could do that "buddy" jam. i would get all wet.