PDA

View Full Version : Schoolio's Movie Corner

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124

BlackSwan
03-07-2011, 07:25 AM
Are there any other crime dramas set in South Boston that are worth watching?

TallGuyCM
03-07-2011, 09:20 AM
If you ever talk to me like this, I will kick you in the nuts. I don't care if you could crush me like a Coke can with your left foot. I will get that in first.

LOL!

schoolofruckus
03-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Are there any other crime dramas set in South Boston that are worth watching?

Besides what?

BlackSwan
03-07-2011, 10:20 AM
The Town, Gone Baby Gone and The Departed.

schoolofruckus
03-07-2011, 10:55 AM
I've always heard that The Friends of Eddie Coyle was great. Criterion just released it last year.

PotVsKtl
03-07-2011, 10:57 AM
What, no Boondock Saints?

TallGuyCM
03-07-2011, 11:00 AM
hahaha

SoulDischarge
03-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Crime dramas, not crimes against humanity.

schoolofruckus
03-07-2011, 03:21 PM
In anticipation of Uncle Boonmee, I watched Tropical Malady last night. Weerasethakul's world is such an amazing and vibrant place. I also found there to be an impressive thematic clarity to this film despite being so ostensibly abstract.

My next week of movies is going to go something like this:

Tuesday - The Red Chapel
Wednesday - Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
Friday - Too Late Blues
Sunday - Killing of a Chinese Bookie

Plus I need to fit in The Strange Case of Angelica and Rango somewhere beyond that.

daxton
03-07-2011, 03:30 PM
I enjoyed The Red Chapel. I'm sure you will too.

TallGuyCM
03-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Rango was #1 at the box office over this past weekend, you'll have plenty of time to catch it.

boxofbox
03-07-2011, 04:07 PM
It's a classic Woody Allen movie. My favorite moment is the Gene Wilder reaction shot, which lasts over a minute.

^this!

paulb
03-07-2011, 05:39 PM
Just rented Holy Mountain, Santa Sangre and Breaking the Waves....which should I watch first?

zircona1
03-07-2011, 06:26 PM
I've always heard that The Friends of Eddie Coyle was great. Criterion just released it last year.

You heard right, it is a great film.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-07-2011, 06:54 PM
In case people don't know...AMC is doing a digital presentation of Taxi Driver for its 35th anniversary March 19 and 22...at every AMC from what i can tell. One of my favorite movies of all time!

cutterbutter
03-07-2011, 07:03 PM
You can now pre-order the Blu-Ray LOTR trilogy extended editions on amazon. $84 for the set. http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Picture-Trilogy-Extended/dp/B0026L7H20/ref=zg_bs_735772_1

I'm probably one of the only ones super excited for this (double-dip factor), as I only saw them in theaters and own the original cuts on dvd. This set will be glorious.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-07-2011, 07:06 PM
i've not rewatched the LOTR trilogy since the theater myself, and have been recently contemplating locking myself in my room with a case of beer and watching all 3 extended versions in one sitting.

cutterbutter
03-07-2011, 07:11 PM
i've not rewatched the LOTR trilogy since the theater myself, and have been recently contemplating locking myself in my room with a case of beer and watching all 3 extended versions in one sitting.

My dad and I do this from time to time. Back to the Future recently, we've done the original star wars trilogy too many times to count, and have had Bond days. We will be doing these 3 extended versions once the blu-ray version hits.

bmack86
03-07-2011, 07:27 PM
I've owned the extended DVDs for years (A rental place in Westwood was closing down and I got all three for $15 total) and never watched the full cuts. Sounds like something I need to do soon.

cutterbutter
03-07-2011, 07:34 PM
I've heard that they put the theatrical cuts to absolute shame, which I think says loads considering how amazing the originals versions are. The only downside I ever read about them is that the pace gets a little meandering, but thats how the books were somewhat, so its fitting.

wmgaretjax
03-07-2011, 08:13 PM
i watched the extended cuts a ways back. i enjoyed them, but the third one definitely drags really badly. the two towers in particular benefits from the extended treatment.

humanoid
03-07-2011, 09:19 PM
the third one dragged badly even in its theatrical version

tessalasset
03-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Just saw the Adjustment Bureau on a whim. Sorry I know this is too mainstream for this thread, but I'm a top-40 movie kinda gal. It was really tense and exciting until the last probably 20 mins. Horrible ending/resolution. Kinda ruined it for me.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Holy mother of God, everybody needs to see this movie NOW.

http://www.lenkakrepelkova.co.uk/pascans/Hell%20Comes%20to%20Frogtown.jpg

MqEBcTUIeh8

I just watched it, and as a connoisseur or terrible movies and a fan of found footage, this is so much fun. Netflix actually has it, which is nice. It takes place in a post apocalyptic future in which 60% of the males have been wiped out and a good majority of women are infertible, so the provisional government is desperate to procreate. So enough Roddy Piper as Sam Hell has a reputation for knocking up chicks left and right and before he knows it he's on his way to Frogtown to fight the mutants that looks like frogs because they have a harem of human fertile women that need to be impregnated? This movie is nuts.

TallGuyCM
03-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Just saw the Adjustment Bureau on a whim. Sorry I know this is too mainstream for this thread, but I'm a top-40 movie kinda gal. It was really tense and exciting until the last probably 20 mins. Horrible ending/resolution. Kinda ruined it for me.

Yeah I didn't have any work on Friday so I saw a double mindfuck feature of The Adjustment Bureau and Unknown. The former was entertaining, but pretty dumb. And yeah, that ending. Unknown wasn't bad at all, I really liked Taken and I kinda dig Liam Neeson as a badass.

cutterbutter
03-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Is it more then Taken part 2? That's how the trailer felt to me.

Also, I REALLY want to see Rango.

obzen
03-07-2011, 10:31 PM
lol, Qui Gon Jinn is dick.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-07-2011, 10:34 PM
he was fucking bad-ass in The A-Team as well.

obzen
03-07-2011, 10:39 PM
I heard somewhere that there could possibly be a Blade Runner prequel/sequel in the works.

These sort of endeavors rarely turn out well but if it materializes, I really hope they don't fuck this one off.

TallGuyCM
03-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Is it more then Taken part 2? That's how the trailer felt to me.

Nah, it pretty much is Taken 2.

I totally want to join you if you do this.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-07-2011, 10:54 PM
I totally want to join you if you do this.

I would totally be down to host a LOTR marathon. Pliny The Eldars, Blind Pig IPAS, a million chicken wings, and MORDOR for 14 hours. Maybe sometime soon after Coachella?

TallGuyCM
03-07-2011, 10:58 PM
You have my RSVP, pending a couch to crash on of course. :)

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-07-2011, 11:01 PM
You have my RSVP, pending a couch to crash on of course. :)

Totally. It's be a LOTR slumber party.

TallGuyCM
03-07-2011, 11:03 PM
It's ON. I plan to document the occasion. I'll work that out between now and then.

obzen
03-07-2011, 11:06 PM
lol, Drinkey and TallGuy are destined to be banned from Mordor after having sex with the legions.

Orc mischief!!

obzen
03-07-2011, 11:10 PM
Totally.

MissingPerson
03-08-2011, 05:21 AM
They're making another Silent Hill movie, based on the third game. For a split second, I was hopeful that it might avoid the pitfalls the first once fell into, and do the story justice. Then I read the "3D" part of the title and felt ill.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

obzen
03-08-2011, 08:04 AM
Rape time.

humanoid
03-08-2011, 08:08 AM
They're making another Silent Hill movie, based on the third game. For a split second, I was hopeful that it might avoid the pitfalls the first once fell into, and do the story justice. Then I read the "3D" part of the title and felt ill.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

I don't know the first thing about the Silent Hill story, and i maybe played the first game like 2 times...but there is something about the movie that I liked.

MissingPerson
03-08-2011, 10:56 AM
The first half was pretty good, and they captured the look of the town really beautifully, but once they got to the church everything turned to shit. And not in a cool "Dude, the walls are totally melting upwards" kind of way. The visual gimmicks, like the monster design, lent themselves well to the film, but there's a kind of logic behind each of them was fairly obviously lost in translation, and it's part of what made the games just that little bit special. Pyramid Head is a fan favourite, but he's not Freddy bloody Kruger, and having him just wandering around knocking off teenagers as convenient is just... undignified.

To be honest, a lot of the story in the games is left intentionally obscure - the first one especially is more or less incomprehensible on the first million playthroughs - so in that sense I perhaps misspoke, but the rough premise and setting is one of those ones that allows for a million different awesome possibilities depending on what characters you want to put into it.

Silent Hill 2 is one of the most perfectly plotted games I've ever played, and I would fucking love to see that work on screen. Some of it is player dependent, so in that sense I don't think a movie adaptation could really equal it in terms of storytelling, but I do think you could make a pretty excellent bit of old timey American Gothic out of it all the same. Lots of decaying old townhouses and rotary telephones, which is very much my bag.

It's all very heavily influenced by Twin Peaks. James' voice acting is comically bad, but Maria/ Mary is awesome, right down to her patronising off-kilter little expressions -

wIuxAxgmJ3A

Anyway. The point is, the adaptation of Silent Hill I'd like to see would have lots of long unsettled silences punctuated by a very occasional monster rape, rather than wacky 3D adventures for all the family.

whynotsmile99
03-08-2011, 09:20 PM
CONGO is streaming on Netflix. I forgot how much I love this terrible, terrible movie

schoolofruckus
03-08-2011, 09:22 PM
The Red Chapel was awesome. A culture-clash documentary with an element of real danger, the film follows the titular comedy troupe - comprised of director Mads Brugger (a Herzog disciple if I've ever seen one) and two Korean-born Danish comedians - as they travel to North Korea to stage a comedy show. Only in a more-Borat-than-Borat twist, the show (and the troupe itself) are merely an excuse to get cameras inside a country known for stifling anything resembling introspection, with the goal of capturing the censorship and rampant nationalism that define the government of Kim Jong Il (and of course, his father, the Dear Leader). The stakes are heightened by the fact that one of the comedians is a handicapped - "spastic", in his words - teenager named Jacob, who's repeatedly confronted by the idea that his birth condition is the kind of thing that has gotten many other Korean citizens executed. The result is absorbing, heartbreaking and blisteringly funny, usually all at once, and one of the finest non-fiction films I've ever seen.

Down Rodeo
03-08-2011, 09:32 PM
In anticipation of Uncle Boonmee, I watched Tropical Malady last night. Weerasethakul's world is such an amazing and vibrant place. I also found there to be an impressive thematic clarity to this film despite being so ostensibly abstract.

I also watched Tropical Malady recently and was extremely impressed. Liked it even better than Syndromes and a Century, which I was admittedly lukewarm about. Add me to the "excited about Uncle Boonmee" club.

TallGuyCM
03-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Tropical Malady would make my all-time top 10 list if I were to make one. I didn't see it until after Uncle Boonmee, but aside from a few dialogue points there isn't much you need to know about Malady to really enjoy Boonmee. Although I had seen Syndromes before either, so with Boonmee I at least had a basic grasp on what Joe's films were like and that helped a lot.

TallGuyCM
03-09-2011, 12:15 AM
Finished watching the Millenium Trilogy tonight. I knew virtually nothing about either the books or the films going into it, aside from both seeming to have vast popularity. I mean, they were fun, entertaining whodunit type flicks, but why people put them on any kind of pedestal above that is beyond me.

Grandma
03-09-2011, 02:29 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Y5TwdoOLPTI/TUmtwOyi8fI/AAAAAAAAQUs/vdBwzwskZZo/s1600/godzilla2012.jpg

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Spikey Godzilla looks bad-ass.

obzen
03-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Spikey Godzilla does look bad-ass, they're remaking it again?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-09-2011, 09:32 AM
here's a little info..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla_%282012_film_project%29

Apparently Gareth Edwards who directed Monsters is going to do it. Awesome.

boxofbox
03-09-2011, 03:58 PM
here's a little info..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla_%282012_film_project%29

Apparently Gareth Edwards who directed Monsters is going to do it. Awesome.

I just watched Monsters this weekend. The character writing was atrocious. Here's hoping Godzilla just mauls everyone.

BKsaysAction!
03-09-2011, 07:29 PM
There was no script on monsters...

wmgaretjax
03-09-2011, 07:32 PM
character directing then... no need to split hairs.

i personally didn't think it was that bad the whole way through... but there were some really bad moments and the actors clearly were not cut out for the roles... but all in all, I enjoyed the film too much to care.

JustSteve
03-09-2011, 07:48 PM
I just watched Monsters this weekend. The character writing was atrocious. Here's hoping Godzilla just mauls everyone.

maybe try "little monsters" instead then...
http://hotmovienow.com/images_link/jyqidyzy.jpg

JustSteve
03-09-2011, 07:51 PM
It's ON. I plan to document the occasion. I'll work that out between now and then.

can i crash the party? the wife would probably love to get me out of the house for a day, haha.

boxofbox
03-09-2011, 07:52 PM
really? the whole sequence of events was just filled with stupid.
(**possible spoiler warning **)

Why the hell is the girl in c. america when she's getting married in days, and why didn't the photog just quit and say, f.u. bossman, if I get the pictures I came here for I won't need your endorsement anyway!

What's with the arbitrary, you have 48 hours to get to the pier cuz the military is shutting it down, and why do they find out about it from some random rural folk, even though they came from what seemed like a majorish city with, you'd think, reasonable news access.

Why didn't they just turn out the lights and stay where they where whenever planes went overhead at night? Nope, I think we'll go driving around to attract attention to our present location.

Why do we never see medium sized monsters, something in between the tree fungus and godzilla size?

How the hell does someone so stupid to leave his passport with a one-night stand survive?

Why the attraction to tv energy and not the lights of the gas station? They obviously were attracted to car headlights?

plus (as if it needs to be said) the whole thing played like a pretty obvious and trite commentary on immigration reform.

what about the whole (paraphrased)
"OMG it's so sad to look INTO America"
"Yeah, totally sad. Hey, tell me a joke."

They should've been mauled in the van + two trucks attack scene. And that should've been the 2nd scene of the film. Then we should've switched over to the "monsters" point of view, where the plot then turns into a sitcom-like show where the monsters just bitch and moan about how they're running low on little girl bacon and sweet green tv light juice.

boxofbox
03-09-2011, 07:52 PM
maybe try "little monsters" instead then...
http://hotmovienow.com/images_link/jyqidyzy.jpg

I still use the phrase "over the shoulder boulder holder" with fondness

wmgaretjax
03-09-2011, 08:00 PM
really? the whole sequence of events was just filled with stupid.
(**possible spoiler warning **)

I definitely agree that there were gaping moments of contrived crap throughout the whole thing... i think the answer to a good chunk of your questions is that the director took the easy way out on a small budget... and just connected the dots in some ridiculously silly ways, but i still enjoyed the premise despite that. a big part of it might have been that i just turned it on with no expectations and it kinda hit the spot...

schoolofruckus
03-09-2011, 09:38 PM
The Strange Case of Angelica was pretty mediocre. It's about a young photographer who falls in love with a recently-deceased woman that he photographs shortly after her death. There are a few interesting ideas raised and it's beautifully shot, but the exorbitant use of expository monologue quickly halts the progression of virtually any sequence that involves speech. I guess it's not bad for being directed by a 102-year-old.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-09-2011, 09:41 PM
OH MY GOSH Micmacs is one of the most fun movies I've seen in a long time! I was practically squealing with joy the entire time. This is is the first time I can remember that i want there to be a sequal, just because I want these kooky characters to have more adventures...i fucking fell in love with the lot of them!

I am extremely pleased to see Jeunet come back with such a damn entertaining piece of work!

And as for Monsters...I seriously had none of those nitpicky thoughts while watching it. I loved every second of it, and I really liked the characters.

TallGuyCM
03-09-2011, 09:55 PM
The Strange Case of Angelica was pretty mediocre. It's about a young photographer who falls in love with a recently-deceased woman that he photographs shortly after her death. There are a few interesting ideas raised and it's beautifully shot, but the exorbitant use of expository monologue quickly halts the progression of virtually any sequence that involves speech. I guess it's not bad for being directed by a 102-year-old.

Yep. I was saying to Gabe afterward that it had some real potential, the execution just wasn't thorough at all. There were several elements of it that reminded me of films I really like, but they were just kind of there without any purpose. Too bad, it could have been really good.

daxton
03-09-2011, 10:16 PM
OH MY GOSH Micmacs is one of the most fun movies I've seen in a long time! I was practically squealing with joy the entire time. This is is the first time I can remember that i want there to be a sequal, just because I want these kooky characters to have more adventures...i fucking fell in love with the lot of them!

I am extremely pleased to see Jeunet come back with such a damn entertaining piece of work!

Hell yeah! I was really happy with it too.

Also, Little Monsters!!! That, Weird Science and Girls Just Wanna Have Fun are my favorite childhood movies. I somehow never saw The Goonies until I was 21.

TallGuyCM
03-11-2011, 12:31 AM
So Machete was pretty fucking bad. Excessively campy, even for Rodriguez. Just felt like a B movie through and through. I half expected Eric Roberts to come jumping out of a helicopter at the end.

mattpach
03-11-2011, 12:37 AM
So Machete was pretty fucking bad. Excessively campy, even for Rodriguez. Just felt like a B movie through and through.

That's the point of the movie, just like the Grindhouse films.

TallGuyCM
03-11-2011, 12:42 AM
I know. It just seemed a little overboard, even in that sense. And not done well either.

SoulDischarge
03-11-2011, 12:47 AM
Intentional camp is one of the hardest things to pull off well, film wise. It's usually best to just be sincere and hope your judgement is shitty enough to end up being campy.

TallGuyCM
03-11-2011, 12:54 AM
Gabe and I saw a trailer last night for this movie called Redland that looks fucking astounding, and I looked it up and it starts showing tomorrow at the Laemmle Sunset.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-11-2011, 09:53 AM
I absolutely loved Machete...I thought it hit the nail on the head pretty good. I like those kinds of movies in general though.

bmack86
03-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Speaking of Grindhouse films, tonight my roommate and I are going to watch Dark of the Sun. The descriptions make it sound brutal.

schoolofruckus
03-11-2011, 10:54 AM
I haven't really been a fan of J.J. Abrams yet, but there's a damn good chance Super 8 will change that.

Vtn5dm9uYi8

PotVsKtl
03-11-2011, 10:54 AM
http://media.warp.net/images/fourlions.jpg

See this movie. TIA.

bobert
03-11-2011, 10:57 AM
I saw Rango a couple days ago and found it extremely entertaining. I read that it was Industrial Light and Magic's first feature-length animation film, and if that's true they need to make more. The look of the film (the creatures in particular) was really unique and bizarre. Really funny too, it's easily Johnny Depp's best work in a while.

Also watched Enter the Void again last night and enjoyed it more than the first time around. I still think it would have been better if it was 20 minutes shorter and had a different lead actress, but it does feel a bit nit-picky to complain about a movie that shows you so many things you've never seen before on film.

Starraven
03-11-2011, 11:11 AM
I saw Rango a couple days ago and found it extremely entertaining. I read that it was Industrial Light and Magic's first feature-length animation film, and if that's true they need to make more. The look of the film (the creatures in particular) was really unique and bizarre. Really funny too, it's easily Johnny Depp's best work in a while.

http://www.pegasusnews.com/media/img/photos/2008/06/11/Jon-Lovitz-ACTING_t250.jpg

ballroomdancer22
03-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Watched 'Good Will Hunting' on instant Netflix for the first time ever.

How I never got around to watching this movie is beyond me considering all the Oscar hoopla concerning Ben Affleck & Matt Damon's screenwriting win...

I really enjoyed it through and through....and Minnie Driver was pretty cute with her accent and all

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-11-2011, 11:44 AM
I haven't really been a fan of J.J. Abrams yet, but there's a damn good chance Super 8 will change that.

Vtn5dm9uYi8

Wow! Looks fantastic.

cutterbutter
03-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Super 8 has me so excited! Its a new edgier amblin-era film. Can't wait.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-11-2011, 11:57 AM
The trailer really does legitimately feel like a classic Spielberg movie. i was NOTexpecting this from the teaser trailers. I am really excited...like more excited than i've been in years for an event movie

TallGuyCM
03-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Gabe and I saw a trailer last night for this movie called Redland that looks fucking astounding, and I looked it up and it starts showing tomorrow at the Laemmle Sunset.

Just saw this with Matt. Really disappointing. A story that starts out interesting, then loses steam quick. To counter this, meditative nature shots fill in the gaps in an attempt for some kind of meaning.

Don't go out of your way to see this one.

Edit: The whole thing just reeked of self-importance and came off as completely pretentious. This is the director's first film, and you don't just dive into something like this right off the bat unless you're going to execute it like you have decades of experience. It's the equivalent of a band putting out a concept album as their debut. It's like, get over yourself.

bmack86
03-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Speaking of Grindhouse films, tonight my roommate and I are going to watch Dark of the Sun. The descriptions make it sound brutal.

This was fantastic, and much better than I expected. It wasn't really a grindhouse film per se, as it had a really decent budget, some really good shots (the director was the director of photography on The African Queen) and decently awesome acting. Rod Taylor is a mercenary in 1960s Congo. Him and his best friend, a Congolese soldier who studied at USC and has a badass minifro, are hired by the president to retrieve a group of miners and their families that had been surrounded by the rebel army. They take a train loaded with weapons and a Nazi officer with his platoon of congolese soldiers to accomplish the task. For a major studio film in the 60s it had its share of violence, and some of the more vicious scenes at the end were particularly dark, but Rod Taylor is one hell of a front man. He made the movie constantly entertaining, and some of the fights are spectacular. If you like a good action/war film, try and track this down (Quentin Tarantino just screened it at New Bev, which is how we heard about it.)

Edit: and, check out this poster:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2yNfAEReZSQ/Rj5pe7eLUOI/AAAAAAAAAM0/5FYY5mz9qv8/s400/Dark+of+the+Sun.jpg

Sleepingrock
03-11-2011, 05:23 PM
I just finished watching [I]Growing Op[I] on netflix, it is a great movie! Its a comedy about this family who have a grow op in suburbia and it follows their son chase after the girl next door. Its really well done, if you want a nice movie, I would recommend it!

cutterbutter
03-11-2011, 11:56 PM
The quality on netflix instant is so inconstant sometimes. I understand everything not being HD, but I was going to watch An American Werewolf in London with my younger brother tonight and its an awful pan-and-scan version. Going to wait for the blu-ray of it now.

schoolofruckus
03-12-2011, 05:12 PM
I just finished Persona. My mind and soul are a whole lot more fucked than they were two hours ago, but I can now agree with anyone who calls Bergman a master filmmaker. Also, I'm inclined to kill anyone who compares this brilliant film to Black Swan.

So considering that I was not at all fond of The Seventh Seal and The Virgin Spring, where do I go next with Bergman?

Neutral Milk Hotel
03-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Hmm. I'd say go with Cries & Whispers. It's got some of the psychic tension that Persona has, but to me it's warmer and more emotionally rich (although Persona might still be the superior film; I'm not sure).

wmgaretjax
03-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Cries and Whispers.

bmack86
03-13-2011, 01:58 AM
I'm a big fan of Winter Light as well. It's very austere and dark.

schoolofruckus
03-13-2011, 09:28 AM
Cyrus was awesome.

Down Rodeo
03-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Gabe, have you seen Wild Strawberries? If you weren't a fan of Seventh Seal, you might like this one, which came out in the same year I believe. It's much warmer and more humanistic than most of Bergman's films, which may appeal to you. Also, everyone needs to see Fanny & Alexander.

schoolofruckus
03-13-2011, 11:51 AM
I haven't seen Wild Strawberries. Based on how much I dug Persona, I'm not sure that warm and humanistic is how I like my Bergman. But I'll put it on the list. Definitely going for Cries and Whispers next.

wmgaretjax
03-13-2011, 12:41 PM
Scenes From A Marriage is great as well.

rage patton
03-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Holy shit. Has anyone here seen Rango yet? I saw it last night and absolutely loved it. The movie was incredibly clever, very funny and quite original. The casting was very well done and Johnny Depp especially did a fantastic job. One of the things I found most amazing was how great the character development was for this movie. Rango has a lot of central characters, and by the end of the movie, you feel like you know them at really well. Even the inanimate one (if you have seen the movie, you know what I mean.) The animation was also top notch.

There were also two other things that really surprised me. The director and the composer. I had NO idea Gore Verbinski directed it and Hans Zimmer did the music. The music especially blew me away. I know Hans Zimmer gets a lot of flak here, and I understand why, but his music in this movie is like nothing I have heard him do. I commented to Becky after first couple songs in the movie that it sounded like something Quentin Tarantino would use for his movies.

But yeah, Rango. Go see it.

buddy
03-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Wild Strawberries is very much introspective, along the lines of Kurosawa's Ikiru, if i remember correctly. Also, i'll second the Fanny & Alexander and Scenes From A Marriage recommendations.

getbetter
03-13-2011, 05:16 PM
I just watched Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone and I can't believe how awesome it is to see Hideaki Anno having a budget that can retell Evangelion in a intense detail and computer graphics.I must see his other movies.

TallGuyCM
03-13-2011, 06:49 PM
Wild Strawberries is very much introspective, along the lines of Kurosawa's Ikiru, if i remember correctly.

This is a really good comparison. The central figures in both films are plagued by constant thoughts of self-doubt and regret as they ponder the course of their lives up to that point, with inner monologues that reveal more about them than an additional two hours of scenes and exchanges could have.

Wild Strawberries is definitely one of the best non-Tarkovsky foreign films I've had the pleasure of seeing.

schoolofruckus
03-13-2011, 09:21 PM
I had quite the film geek evening. First off - the Ben Gazzara / Gary Oldman Q&A at Cinefamily. As part of their AMAZING Cassavetes retrospective (currently in progress), The Cinefamily hosted Gazzara at last night's screening of Husbands and again tonight - technically moderated by A History of Violence screenwriter Josh Olson, but with Oldman leading the conversation - at the beginning of a triple-header that included Chinese Bookie and two other Gazzara films that Cassavetes had nothing to do with. It was an amazing talk that would have been worth the price of admission alone (though I had gotten in for free because I'm a member of the theater). I also would have liked to stay for all three films (or at least the first two so I could see Bookie on a big screen), but the discussion ran late and long, so the first film (The Strange One) didn't even begin until 7, and I had doubts about being able to enjoy Bookie if it weren't starting until well after 9.

So I called an audible and went to see Redland, despite the below review.

Just saw this with Matt. Really disappointing. A story that starts out interesting, then loses steam quick. To counter this, meditative nature shots fill in the gaps in an attempt for some kind of meaning.

Don't go out of your way to see this one.

Edit: The whole thing just reeked of self-importance and came off as completely pretentious. This is the director's first film, and you don't just dive into something like this right off the bat unless you're going to execute it like you have decades of experience. It's the equivalent of a band putting out a concept album as their debut. It's like, get over yourself.

I could not disagree more strongly with Chris on this one. Don't get me wrong - there were times throughout this movie where different aspects hinted at being well short of their potential, in spite of the intoxicating photography and sound design. More than that, the final act grows increasingly unpleasant to the point of repulsion...until the film ends with a simple title card that throws everything into focus and threw me onto the floor. The film has already begun taking on mythical status in my mind from the moment I left the theater.

Redland is a brutal, psychedelic vision of human survival that mixes the ethereal qualities of Terrence Malick with the intense intimacy of Phillippe Grandrieux's A Lake (my favorite movie of '09), telling the story of a family trying to survive the Great Depression in Humboldt County. Much of the early narrative surrounds daughter Mary-Ann - poorly hiding an affair with a boy from the city, possibly setting free the few chickens earmarked for future family meals - and I wondered if the film wasn't perhaps selling itself a little short by not spending more time with the other members of the family. It seemed as though the initial point was to portray the anxieties of being (and raising) a contemporary teenage girl against the backdrop of a more difficult era - an idea which, as Chris said, began interesting, and then proceeded to develop an evanescent, hollow quality. But in hindsight, having now heard all the film has to say about the way that humanity will persevere through any tragedy or circumstance, its ultimate purpose - to demonstrate one way in which the problems that plague us have always existed and will always exist - is more resonant than ever. Similarly, I would disagree strongly with the idea that the shots of nature were merely an attempt at meaning; always juxtaposed with the struggles the characters were enduring, these transcendent shots seemed to be showing the great consistency of the world in which we live, and how it will remain a beautiful, mysterious place regardless of how we spend our time here.

Director Asiel Norton has absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. He's made a goddamn near masterpiece his first time up, so as far as I'm concerned, his only worry at this point is where the fuck to go next. I'll be following without question.

Neutral Milk Hotel
03-13-2011, 09:54 PM
Maybe I just didn't get Redland, but as a Malick obsessive I should have been an easy mark for this film. The things you're saying about the movie are true in a technical sense, but I guess for me the filmmakers played the notes, but not the music. The storyline felt overly schematic, and never really came alive. I don't want to spoil anything, but the sequence of events took on a dreary predictability that sapped my energy as the movie went on. I was also annoyed by the choice to randomly interject scenes of an intimate moment between the daughter and her lover throughout the film; it felt like art school indulgence, not something earned and authentic. Sure, the visuals were stunning, but they also got repetitive to me, given that the film never left the forest. Your enthusiasm about the film makes me kind of want to revisit it when it hits DVD but man, I did not like this movie.

BUT later that weekend I saw Cary Fukunaga's version of Jane Eyre, which floored me. I'm a fan of his last film, the shattering Sin Nombre, but not really a fan of period romance films or books in general, so I wasn't sure how I'd react. Maybe I need to dust off my copy of Sense & Sensibility, or maybe Fukunaga's film is that good, because I loved this film. Mia Waskikowska takes the title character, a figure who could devolve into some sort of shallow feminist icon in the wrong hands, and gives her a rich inner life and bitter, hard earned strength. The strength of her characterization makes her growing attraction to Michael Fassbender's Mr. Rochester that much more powerful. Fukunaga depicts all of this with maximum atmosphere; the film almost feels like a gothic horror movie at points, which was intriguing. The book's story is pretty played out at this point (how many adaptations have there been?), but the director and his gifted cast make this story vibrant and heartbreaking.

So yeah, in conclusion, I thought Jane Eyre totally kicked Redland's ass. The end

cutterbutter
03-13-2011, 10:02 PM
I watched Somewhere earlier today, and the more and more I think about it in my head the more it grows on me. Coppola really knows how to set the tone in her pictures well. Great, simplistic film.

bmack86
03-13-2011, 11:12 PM
I enjoyed Catfish, and regardless of whether or not it was real I thought it was an interesting premise and I could totally buy into something like that happening.

I also watched Divorce Italian Style. That was a fun little film that reminded me quite a bit of Unfaithfully Yours by Preston Sturges. There are some great dream scenes where the husband imagines his wife dying, and it's a very black sort of humor throughout. I enjoyed it.

schoolofruckus
03-14-2011, 09:57 PM
So Uncle Boonmee was a masterpiece. Jesus Christ, I've had a good week with movies.

TallGuyCM
03-14-2011, 10:48 PM
So Uncle Boonmee was a masterpiece.

YES. I really need to see it again on the big screen. Especially after having seen Tropical Malady since I saw it originally.

daxton
03-15-2011, 06:05 AM
Do you guys think I would like it?

stuporfly
03-15-2011, 06:44 AM
Holy shit. Has anyone here seen Rango yet? I saw it last night and absolutely loved it. The movie was incredibly clever, very funny and quite original. The casting was very well done and Johnny Depp especially did a fantastic job. One of the things I found most amazing was how great the character development was for this movie. Rango has a lot of central characters, and by the end of the movie, you feel like you know them at really well. Even the inanimate one (if you have seen the movie, you know what I mean.) The animation was also top notch.

There were also two other things that really surprised me. The director and the composer. I had NO idea Gore Verbinski directed it and Hans Zimmer did the music. The music especially blew me away. I know Hans Zimmer gets a lot of flak here, and I understand why, but his music in this movie is like nothing I have heard him do. I commented to Becky after first couple songs in the movie that it sounded like something Quentin Tarantino would use for his movies.

But yeah, Rango. Go see it.

I took my daughter to see Rango on Saturday, and we both thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I don't know that I'd have seen it on my own, but I'm certainly glad I had an excuse to see it with the kid.

schoolofruckus
03-15-2011, 08:30 AM

Depends. Does your thirst for an enchanting spiritual journey outweight your need for things to make tangible sense? If so, then go see Uncle Boonmee.

sbessiso
03-15-2011, 08:33 AM
there is a god

Disney is sadly not going forward with its Robert Zemeckis-directed digital remake of “Yellow Submarine,” according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The Reporter says the failure of the expensive Zemeckis-produced motion-capture extravaganza “Mars Needs Moms” is to blame, but Deadline Hollywood has a source that indicates Disney dismissed “Submarine” months ago.

SoulDischarge
03-15-2011, 08:42 AM

You should check my movie review website, Films Daxton Might Like (http://tinyurl.com/2orh73).

getbetter
03-15-2011, 08:54 AM
I saw what We Do Is A Secret last night it felt like it had the same production value as The Runaways's movie.There were certain scene's I like for example the whole "The Decline of Western Civilization" taping besides that I was patently waiting for the death scene and thought the movie was pretty horrible.

BlackSwan
03-15-2011, 09:09 AM
Holy crap, I watch Food Inc. yesterday, and while a knew a lot of the main points the film was trying to convey, seeing it all condensed in and well-presented like that was shocking. It amazes me that people can watch that movie and then go back to putting shit into their bodies.

daxton
03-15-2011, 09:22 AM
You should check my movie review website, Films Daxton Might Like (http://tinyurl.com/2orh73).

I don't remember asking you.

rage patton
03-15-2011, 10:08 AM
I took my daughter to see Rango on Saturday, and we both thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I don't know that I'd have seen it on my own, but I'm certainly glad I had an excuse to see it with the kid.

I have heard this from a lot of people, but I really don't think that movie was made for kids. Sure, kids will probably find the slapstick jokes entertaining and the character charming, but I really don't think the movie was made for kids. The begining of the movie is actually kinda artsy and the movie deals pretty heavily with existentialism and worked it quite well into the story and it didn't feel heavy handed at all. I really don't think kids will get what they are trying to do there. The film also both parodys and simultaneously pay tribute the old western films, and does it in a way that comes across quite faithfully, not cheesy. This was almost certainly lost on the kids too.

Basically, Rango is a movie kids will laugh at, but I do not think they were the main audience in mind when the movie was being made. Obviously, based on advertising, this movie is aimed at kids... but my point remains.

PotVsKtl
03-15-2011, 03:30 PM
I tried to watch Inside Job. It sucked. Way to fuck up an important topic everybody.

JustSteve
03-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Holy crap, I watch Food Inc. yesterday, and while a knew a lot of the main points the film was trying to convey, seeing it all condensed in and well-presented like that was shocking. It amazes me that people can watch that movie and then go back to putting shit into their bodies.

haven't seen it, but is it basically "if your grandmother couldn't make it/didn't have it back in the day, don't eat it"?

jackstraw94086
03-15-2011, 04:09 PM
I have heard this from a lot of people, but I really don't think that movie was made for kids. Sure, kids will probably find the slapstick jokes entertaining and the character charming, but I really don't think the movie was made for kids. The begining of the movie is actually kinda artsy and the movie deals pretty heavily with existentialism and worked it quite well into the story and it didn't feel heavy handed at all. I really don't think kids will get what they are trying to do there. The film also both parodys and simultaneously pay tribute the old western films, and does it in a way that comes across quite faithfully, not cheesy. This was almost certainly lost on the kids too.

Basically, Rango is a movie kids will laugh at, but I do not think they were the main audience in mind when the movie was being made. Obviously, based on advertising, this movie is aimed at kids... but my point remains.

Dreamworks discovered long ago that it's possible aim a movie at both adults and kids at the same time. Not every joke has to be in the middle.

BlackSwan
03-15-2011, 06:20 PM
haven't seen it, but is it basically "if your grandmother couldn't make it/didn't have it back in the day, don't eat it"?

No, not at all. I feel like trying to summarize all the points wouldn't do it justice. It's definitely worth watching.

Edit: This guy tries to do it, and I was right, it doesn't do it justice:

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2010/04/28/some-highlights-from-the-food-inc-documentary/#more-335

GeezrRckr
03-15-2011, 07:35 PM
I would also like to throw in my support for watching Food Inc. It spends a lot of time providing insights into the business side of the food industry. It also sheds light on the environmental consequences that arise from how food is produced in the USA. Nearly all of these revelations are unsavory (pun intended), but awareness is key. Change must displace complacency...we really don't have much choice.

TallGuyCM
03-15-2011, 09:26 PM
hahahahahahaha

fMW3W-G43gI

rage patton
03-15-2011, 09:28 PM
Dreamworks discovered long ago that it's possible aim a movie at both adults and kids at the same time. Not every joke has to be in the middle.

Both Dreamworks and Pixar have done this in the past. I was just saying that Rango did it exceptionally well. I would say almost on the level of Wall-E. I would even argue that Wall-E isn't really a kid movie, the same way I would argue Rango isn't really a kids movie.

wmgaretjax
03-15-2011, 09:52 PM
while I thought Food, Inc. was quite good... the treatment of GMOs was pretty superficial...

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-16-2011, 07:32 AM
So Never Let Me Go was just one of the most heartwrenching, soul-crushing things I've ever seen. My girlfriend and I were both in tears throughout it. That said, i thought it was incredible. I've been waiting for Mark Romanek to really blow me away with a film.

daxton
03-16-2011, 07:34 AM
I finished Annie Hall yesterday. It's my favorite Woody Allen so far. Hannah and Her Sisters is a close 2nd.

wmgaretjax
03-16-2011, 10:43 AM
new korine short: http://www.vbs.tv/watch/umshini-wam--2/umshini-wam

chairmenmeow47
03-16-2011, 10:49 AM
So Never Let Me Go was just one of the most heartwrenching, soul-crushing things I've ever seen. My girlfriend and I were both in tears throughout it. That said, i thought it was incredible. I've been waiting for Mark Romanek to really blow me away with a film.

i really want to see this.

I finished Annie Hall yesterday. It's my favorite Woody Allen so far. Hannah and Her Sisters is a close 2nd.

it's the only one i really like. gets me every time.

watched deathproof last night. it was a lot of fun, but not sure if i'd watch again.

GeezrRckr
03-16-2011, 11:41 AM
while I thought Food, Inc. was quite good... the treatment of GMOs was pretty superficial...
Yeah, that topic did get glossed over. But, in their defense, an entire movie could be made around GMOs and their role in economics (more like in how they perpetuate poverty), human health, biodiversity, etc.

wmgaretjax
03-16-2011, 05:20 PM
i guess wim wenders is making a film "for" pina bausch: http://www.pina-film.de/en/

cutterbutter
03-16-2011, 09:01 PM
Seeing Grindhouse (Planet Terror and Death Proof) and Machete last night at the New Beverly was so much fun. Tarantino and Rodriguez both were there to introduce the triple feature, and sat down a couple of rows behind us to watch it all with the audience. They were laughing louder then anyone else too. So awesome.

Quentin also brought along some crazy vintage trailers and old concession stand ads to show inbetween the 3 films, along with the Grindhouse fake trailers in-toe.

After it let out 5 1/2 hours later at 1:30am, the two of them stood outside and shook hands talking with everyone. Great night all and all.

Lots of other great Quentin hosted shows around in March there left, and they added shows for Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair on the 3-7 of April which all had sold out before. Check it http://www.newbevcinema.com/calendar.cfm

Down Rodeo
03-17-2011, 04:26 PM
i guess wim wenders is making a film "for" pina bausch: http://www.pina-film.de/en/

Can't say I've seen any of Wenders' films from the last 20 years or so but this looks promising.

motionnn77
03-17-2011, 08:50 PM
The Town was fucking awesome. It's too bad it came and went for most people. I saw there was a directors cut out for it. Might check that out as I havnt seen it since the theater.

It was also one of the best love stories I've seen in a long time. Somehow it seemed so real under the circumstances.

guedita
03-17-2011, 09:02 PM
I really recommend Dog Sweat, everyone. It is not related to Dogtooth in any way, for those wondering. It was directed by Hossein Keshavarz and shot illegally in Tehran, which makes for a few interesting camera shots. It's a narrative following a few young people living in Tehran whose lives are all interrelated, and the subtlety of what is being conveyed worked really effectively for me. Also, the dichotomy between the overwhelming modernity of the city and the issues these characters are struggling with plays out very nicely.

It's also short! Only 91 minutes.

motionnn77
03-17-2011, 09:40 PM
Just got back from SXSW last night. Unlike Sundance, I got to see more stuff this time around. I also met Paul Giamatti and Amy Ryan in a trailer park. We talked about Cold Souls. There were also meet ups w/ Simon Pegg and Kristen Wigg.

Here are the films I saw including the ones on Virgin Air America (We flew Select. Pretty cool).

Love and other Drugs: Better than most rom-coms but Anne Hathaway stole the film. It was ok.

Midnite showing of LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD: It's beautiful, but it's also TWILIGHT without vamps or sparkles. Meh. I did sit in on an hour long panel with Katherine Hardwicke, though. That was pretty interesting.

SOURCE CODE: Gosh, I'm not even a Jake Gylenhaal fan yet managed to see two of his films in the course of 24 hours. This will make $$. It's INCEPTION meets GROUNDHOG DAY. Not horrible.

SOUND OF MY VOICE: Interesting plot. The same people who repped us are repping them but they haven't been sold yet. It's about a couple of journalists who join a cult to write about it. They get caught up with issues of their own. Actress Brit Mailing is good and quite alluring. It's worth a look. A provoking drama and for a nearly no budget, it looks good.

WUSS: A friend of ours was a producer on this. The first half is pretty funny. It's about a teacher (high school) who gets harassed by his students. He is a pretty small guy (met the actor who was good, but can't remember his name). The second half, just gets a but busy. Too many sub plots and it becomes..crowded. However, the after party was at a bar that became my fave, THE RIO RITA, on the 'ghetto' part of 6th street.

BELLFLOWER: Of course. Osiliscope bought it and cleaned it up a bit. Still great fun. Love, violence and the flame throwing car, MEDUSA. The crew brought MEDUSA down to Austin. It was a bigger hit than the film, lol! But the critics liked it. The after party was awesome. It was in an outside trailer park bar called THE DRAFT HOUSE. Free kegs, free bacon, cheese and maple syrup doughnuts. In the film, the lead characters meet competing in a cricket eating contest. The girl wins and the guy falls for her. They brought their crickets with them all the way from Cali. They had a contest at the party and the prize was a ride w/ the actor/director/writer Evan Glodell in the famous MEDUSA. (Later than night, around 3AM, Evan had to go to the ER. It turns out he had kidney stones. The guys is like 28 at most. They made an appt. for surgery the next day. But they gave him viccodin and let him out that morning. He was seen driving MEDUSA all over downtown Austin).

96 MINTUES: It's CRASH but with a younger set of actors. Brittany Snow is the most recognizable name. She has grown up and is a solid actress. This film got me a bit emotionally. A very tragic death seen happens and the ending is powerful. It's worth a look.

PAUL: Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are back together again. With an alien. HOT FUZZ was funny. But this rivals SEAN OF THE DEAD. This is funny, FUNNY. Some cool cameos. Mostly shot in the desert around the north of Barstow. If you love to laugh, please see this!

Other than that, I hung at a trade show, saw some bands, saw a Pitch Fork thing, went to meetings, went to the opening night and closing night (for film) parties. Went to a really bad kareoke party, which was great fun because it was all film agents singing badly.

BELLFLOWER will be on it's way to Nashville in a couple of weeks, then Salem, Boston and will screen a couple of nights @ Columbia in NY. Then in May, it looks like Cannes. And oh yeah, I will be going to that one.

We are scheduled to screen in Los Angeles and NY in July. I will post as I find out more.

Oh yeah, on the way back to LA, I saw YOU WILL MEET A DARK STRANGER on the plane. Typical Woody Allen rom-com/drama. Shot in England. Decent cast: Antonio Bandaras, Gemma Jones, Naomi Watts, Frieda Pinto, Josh Brolin and Anthony Hopkins. Not bad.

And here's one I started a week ago and finished today: THE KILLER INSIDE ME. There was a lot that was wrong with it, mainly bad Texan accents. Especially, Casey Affleck, Kate Hudson and Simon Baker. But Damn! I can't remember when I last saw such a brutal murder scene. This got me. I can watch chainsaw scenes and zombies eating people, but what happens to one of the characters is just heart breaking, ugly and puke worthy.

That's it for now.

TallGuyCM
03-18-2011, 06:30 PM
hahahaha, this was at Cinefamily last night:

http://www.cinefamily.org/images/home_11_leprethon_1130.jpg

TallGuyCM
03-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Ooh, and a Herzog week the beginning of April:

http://www.cinefamily.org/calendar/herzog.html

wmgaretjax
03-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Lessons of Darkness and Fata Morgana are must sees on the big screen.

TallGuyCM
03-20-2011, 01:31 AM
The screening of A Woman Under the Influence tonight was fantastic, over an hour-long Q&A with Gena Rowlands ahead of time.

It's always great seeing people reach that age where they just don't give a fuck anymore, and a few of Gena's answers (to questions I'm sure the moderator labored for hours over) proved this, they were just very direct and often hilarious. She gave some great insight into her career and her beginnings, and for a Cassavetes novice like myself I found it to be a helpful precursor for the film.

As for the film itself, yes. Although I'm still getting used to Cassavetes' style and sense of pacing, enough can't be said about Rowlands' performance. And Peter Falk would have been equally as impressive under normal circumstances as the counter to most any other actress, but alas.

Oh, and Ariel Pink was in the house, haha.

daxton
03-20-2011, 05:19 AM
Speaking of Herzog, has anyone seen the short Plastic Bag? Probably my favorite non-comedic short. It was voiced by him.

malcolmjamalawesome
03-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Hi, everyone! I saw Kick-Ass and really enjoyed it. That is all.

GeezrRckr
03-20-2011, 09:40 PM
Werzog's Encounters at the End of the World is pretty awesome. Not only the cinematography, but the interviews he does with the people at the station. He really has a knack for exposing the weird and sublime in people.

TallGuyCM
03-21-2011, 12:07 AM
Hi, everyone! I saw Kick-Ass and really enjoyed it. That is all.

Haha, I just got done watching that. Entertaining enough, glad I didn't pay $12 to see it though.

Sublime
03-21-2011, 10:05 AM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRyssVLUxWDJoK-pfH6l-2TOTcuXHGxrTJlZctjV0K7TZdn74FBNw

If you've never seen it, you really must. "tnt" Can you dig it?

SoulDischarge
03-21-2011, 10:45 AM
The soudntrack is better than the actual film.

TallGuyCM
03-21-2011, 12:34 PM
The soudntrack is better than the actual film.

I haven't seen the film, but I've always assumed this. Curtis Mayfield was the fucking man.

knytt
03-21-2011, 08:46 PM
Fuck. How does Miyazaki do it. I've only seen 3 of his movies and he's already one of my favorite directors. I wish I had seen his other movies as a kid.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Fuck. How does Miyazaki do it. I've only seen 3 of his movies and he's already one of my favorite directors. I wish I had seen his other movies as a kid.

They're almost all equally amazing. Which ones did you see?

cutterbutter
03-21-2011, 09:22 PM
http://fandomania.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/totoro2-600x375.jpg

knytt
03-21-2011, 09:39 PM
Totoro as a kid and then rewatched it about a month ago, it's still just as magical as it was as a kid. And since then Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle, of which the latter is in my Top 10. Suggestions for the next one? I was thinking Kiki's Delivery Service.

Speaking of Miyazaki, I almost screamed when I saw Totoro in Toy Story 3.

TallGuyCM
03-21-2011, 09:43 PM
For anyone that's in my boat and has been catching up on Terrence Malick for the upcoming Tree of Life release, I can't recommend the Criterion Blu Rays of The Thin Red Line and Days of Heaven highly enough. I've watched both over the past few days, and they are simply the most astounding looking works I've seen in a home setting.

cutterbutter
03-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Totoro as a kid and then rewatched it about a month ago, it's still just as magical as it was as a kid. And since then Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle, of which the latter is in my Top 10. Suggestions for the next one? I was thinking Kiki's Delivery Service.

Speaking of Miyazaki, I almost screamed when I saw Totoro in Toy Story 3.

Princess Mononoke is his epic, but my favorite has always been Porco Rosso. I liked Kiki's, but its alot more childish then the the others I feel.

When I saw Toy Story 3 in the theaters, 4 or so other people all shouted out "TOTORO!!" when he came on. So great.

bmack86
03-21-2011, 10:11 PM
I just recently saw Spirited Away and Mononoke and absolutely adored both of them. They're amazing pieces of film making and storytelling, and Spirited Away creates a great world of its own.

I just watched Dogtooth and was surprised by how good it was. I almost expected it to be too self-consciously bizarre, but I thought they did a great job with the ambiguity of the whole situation and the really eerie feel about the compound. Good call, guys.

KungFuJoe
03-21-2011, 11:02 PM
Mononoke is probably my favorite from Miyazaki, but I love Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki & Totoro all as well.

If you like those films I highly recommend you check out Summer Wars. This was my favorite film of last year.

IsLwVoZqEjk

knytt
03-22-2011, 04:18 AM
Wow, that looks great. Thanks for the suggestion.

zircona1
03-22-2011, 06:15 AM
For anyone that's in my boat and has been catching up on Terrence Malick for the upcoming Tree of Life release, I can't recommend the Criterion Blu Rays of The Thin Red Line and Days of Heaven highly enough. I've watched both over the past few days, and they are simply the most astounding looking works I've seen in a home setting.

Criterion or someone needs to do a special ed of Badlands.

yeahfontaine
03-22-2011, 06:49 AM
Lessons of Darkness and Fata Morgana are must sees on the big screen.

Hadn't seen Jag Mandir, so I watched the preview and then looked it up. What I found made me laugh so hard.

It's about (as the subtitle says) an elaborate theater event put on by the Maharana in Rajasthan but this is the part that got me.

Herzog's narration explains that the event filmed was requested of the Maharana by a local wise man who saw the sinking of the city's palaces into the river as a sign that the local culture was deteriorating, and that the Maharana needed to stage the performance to reinvigorate interest in the various cultures represented. This story was invented by Herzog for the film, to "put it all into some context." The city's palaces are not actually sinking into the river.

God, I love Herzog. His documentaries are so fascinating because he doesn't have a problem creating a subreality or extrareality, as I guess he would call it, when making a documentary. He really has distain for cinema verite and it shows and makes his "non-fiction" work that much more magnetic.

Also, I assume everyone has seen this clip, but it's so damn entertaining...

ylXqc8TQ15w

HowToDisappear
03-22-2011, 09:34 AM
In her second year, one of my daughters was a painter/compositor on an animated short -- part of a collaborative project between students, alumni and the head of the animation dept at her school. It's been making the film and animation festival rounds for about two years (and won awards), and now that that's over, it's been posted online (HD version (http://www.bitfilms.com/tower37.html) on vimeo):

The Incident at Tower 37 (2009) is a ten-minute HD animated film, written and directed by Chris Perry and produced within the collaborative animation curriculum at Hampshire College.

oykNIuQLcoc
My husband and I got to see it on a big screen before it made the festival circuit. It was exciting to see her name in the credits. I told her it was the first time, but it wouldn't be the last. :)

TallGuyCM
03-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Wow, that's really cool. Congrats!

Sublime
03-22-2011, 10:42 AM
crazy lil lizards

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Mononoke is probably my favorite from Miyazaki, but I love Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki & Totoro all as well.

If you like those films I highly recommend you check out Summer Wars. This was my favorite film of last year.

IsLwVoZqEjk

WOW, this looks great! Just bumped it up my queue. I recently watched the director's last movie, The Girl Who Lept Through Time, and i really, really liked it.

sonofhal
03-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Went to a preview screening of Insidious earlier. If you like films that make you jump out of your seat a lot then you'll enjoy it, whereas if you want a coherent narrative and decent acting then don't bother.

The audience were filmed, so I might end up in some dodgy TV ad looking scared. I had to sign a disclaimer saying they could use the footage anywhere in "the universe". I wonder what the opening weekend will be like on Saturn.

TallGuyCM
03-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Tonight at 9pm on ABC there's a 2-hour (likely to be laughable) show on TV tonight called "Best in Film: The Greatest Movies of Our Time", hosted by the Dancing With the Stars guy, of all people.

SoulDischarge
03-22-2011, 07:44 PM
So that Dogtooth was something.

TallGuyCM
03-22-2011, 08:20 PM
Definitely the best sci-fi film of 2010, without a doubt.

daxton
03-22-2011, 08:22 PM
I get to see it again in a week! Wooooo.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Highlander 2 is a pretty remarkable achievement in terrible movies. It's pretty stunning, actually. That that much money and effort was poured into something so fabulously incoherent and mind-numbingly stupid (and completely ret-conning a pretty good franchise) makes me really happy.

schoolofruckus
03-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Looks like Fight For Your Right Revisited is getting a release at the Laemmle Sunset 5 on April 29th.

HandBanana
03-24-2011, 12:36 PM
Holy crap!
I hope this is real

http://i.imgur.com/mNKkW.jpg

KungFuJoe
03-25-2011, 09:53 AM
Miike's 13 Assassins hits VOD in HD today! It plays at the Nuart at the end of April, but fuck I can't wait that long.

bobert
03-25-2011, 02:53 PM
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j38/bobertrgb/Hicks.jpg
The much anticipated documentary about the greatest comedian to ever live is finally getting a release on DVD - June 6th. Cannot fucking wait.

P4GEiPUy2nw

schoolofruckus
03-25-2011, 05:56 PM
It's also playing the Sunset 5 on April 15th. I know, I know....not exactly the type of film that needs to be seen on a big screen. But seeing it that way is the best way to vocalize your support that the film is even being made.

bobert
03-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Yeah, if it wasn't for Coachella I'd definitely be there for that.

buddy
03-26-2011, 03:25 PM
i might try to see this. there's a mini-documentary on the dvd Bill Hicks Live: Satirist Social Critic Stand-up Comedian called "Just A Ride," which is worth a watch, although it's a bit short. it might be streaming on netflix.

here's part 1 on youtube:
Gd5nXdO4-ig&feature=fvst

TallGuyCM
03-27-2011, 04:14 PM
Amy Adams is the new Lois Lane...

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/usmovies.thehollywoodreporter.com/amy-adams-cast-lois-lane-zack-snyders-superman

bobert
03-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Any word on who will be directing the third reboot of the series after Zach Snyder fucks this round up?

Sublime
03-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Holy crap!
I hope this is real

http://i.imgur.com/mNKkW.jpg

Where did you find this?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-27-2011, 05:03 PM
Where did you find this?

It's a mock-up that Heath Killen did http://madebyhk.com/

The film is something that Cheadle has being trying to get made, but it's not officially happening yet, and does not have a title.

TallGuyCM
03-27-2011, 05:04 PM
Damn. He'd be perfect as Miles. Here's to hoping it eventually gets made.

hendrixfan143
03-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Is anybody going to see Red State at the wiltern? Just got my tix

Hannahrain
03-27-2011, 07:38 PM
What? (http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Almost_Famous_2/70058494?trkid=2361637#height1013)

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Amazing.

Also, I just watched eXitenZ for the first time. Whoa.

SoulDischarge
03-27-2011, 09:48 PM
a.k.a. Videodrome-lite. Still, if there's any movie I could watch rip-offs of for hours . . .

Port Of Call New Orleans was a bunch of bullshit. Why did that movie need a plot? Also a bunch of bullshit: Netflix's Silverlight automatic update that makes my browser crash every time I get distracted from whatever boring shit I'm watching and start loading other pages.

wmgaretjax
03-27-2011, 09:50 PM
eh... i don't think videodrome shares much in common with existenz at all... beyond the whole media<->violence themes.

SoulDischarge
03-27-2011, 09:56 PM
I've only seen eXistenZ once and it just seemed very familiar. It's Cronenberg coasting but I remember enjoying it fairly well even if I wasn't overly impressed. I liked it better than fucking Eastern Promises at least. All I can even remember from that was a nude knife fight and some awful scene with Naomi Watts fake crying at a river.

Exoskeletal
03-27-2011, 09:57 PM
ya, Eastern Promises was borderline unwatchable.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-27-2011, 11:27 PM
I've only seen eXistenZ once and it just seemed very familiar. It's Cronenberg coasting but I remember enjoying it fairly well even if I wasn't overly impressed. I liked it better than fucking Eastern Promises at least. All I can even remember from that was a nude knife fight and some awful scene with Naomi Watts fake crying at a river.

It definitely shares a lot with both Videodrome and Naked Lunch in the use of disgusting flesh-like puppets, and a bit thematically as well. Which doesn't bother me, at all. I really like Eastern Promises though.

TallGuyCM
03-28-2011, 02:29 AM
Tonight I decided to undertake what I assumed would be a facefuck double feature of Michael Haneke's The Piano Teacher and Code Unknown, but it ended up being not quite at that level, especially in regards to the latter.

Up to this point, in my book Monica Vitti had the "damaged female who won't let herself feel any emotion" role nailed better than anyone else, but Isabelle Huppert really took the crown and ran with this one. She was absolutely remarkable.

Code Unknown caught me off guard in that it was more of an art film, and didn't contain that one scene of unnerving brutality that Haneke seems to include in most of his films. I think what he was getting at in this one went over my head a bit. But either way, quite a night.

mountmccabe
03-28-2011, 04:45 AM
I have, apparently, been on a bit of a theme recently.

I watched McCabe & Mrs. Miller to see who this John McCabe (no relation) is. It is a very 70s Altman film about a dude and his brothel. And him falling for the lady what shows up and takes it over. It feels very real, very much like we are seeing selections from real life. To the point where sometimes it feels like it would be nice to've seen more (though what I would want to've seen developed further may've been different from what you would want, etc.) It is really quite impressive, especially filming it sequentially (including building (with workers wearing period garb and using period implements) and burning down a church) and all they had to put up with to make that work.

Then I watched The Killing of a Chinese Bookie as it looks like Netflix Instant has added a handful of Cassavettes films. It is also very 70s, follows a strip-club owner and leans heavily towards the realistic side of things. It is also far less cinematic, to a fault, even. I liked it but it was less engaging than Husbands, which may be the only other Cassavettes I've seen.

The Girl Who Played With Fire was easier to watch (mostly) but had less to it. It involves folks investigating a sex trafficking ring. Independently, generally. And the non-cop characters are very good at it. And there are more weird revelations that don't matter. Or may matter in the third movie. Which I'm sure I'll watch.

Last night I watched Accattone, a very Italian movie from the 60s. It is about a low-level pimp and his low level friends in post-war Italy. Sadly the subtitles on Netflix were white over the black and white film so you miss more than you'd wish. But the filmmaking is strong enough that the story is clear, regardless. I think I would like to see more of Pasolini's films.

wmgaretjax
03-28-2011, 07:45 AM
Code Unknown is not a one-watch film. By any stretch. It works really well as a companion to 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance though... as I think both films are trying to get at really similar things.

Oh and Accattone is pretty fantastic. I watched it along with a bunch of Bertolucci's early films (including The Conformist), and it was pretty obvious how important Pasolini was to that era of Italian filmmakers.

SoulDischarge
03-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Code Unknown caught me off guard in that it was more of an art film, and didn't contain that one scene of unnerving brutality that Haneke seems to include in most of his films. I think what he was getting at in this one went over my head a bit. But either way, quite a night.

I'm probably due for a rewatch myself, but the title is kind of the key to what the film is getting at. The way we communicate to one another is through a series of highly personalized code systems, most of which overlap in many ways, but not all. Most of our interactions, and many of the problems with them, are results of misunderstanding the various code systems people use to communicate with one another, causing constant chaos, even when we come at situations with the best intentions. The film is mostly a series of "real life: demonstrations of the various forms of communication breakdown in modern society.

chairmenmeow47
03-28-2011, 09:06 AM
battle LA was a ton of fun for a last-minute, boring wednesday night outing. explosions galore.

Down Rodeo
03-28-2011, 11:46 AM
I also found Code Unknown a bit too dry on first viewing. I don't think whatever Haneke was going for fully clicked for me, and I've yet to muster up the patience to watch it again. I loved The Piano Teacher though - really disturbing movie.

I did, however, re-watch Blow-Up and The Thin Red Line recently and boy, did they click wonderfully on second viewing.

I also have yet to see any Pasolini films, which really needs to change soon.

bmack86
03-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Don't bother with Salo.

wmgaretjax
03-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Code Unknown begins with sign language charades right? and ends with sign language as well? i always kinda wondered if those scenes might have worked better reversed. at least... it would have been more transparent to first time viewers.

(and I couldn't disagree more with Bryan, do bother with Salo)

wmgaretjax
03-28-2011, 11:54 AM
it's interesting to have Salo come up right in the middle of us talking about Haneke as well... as his work shares a lot in common with that film (and others by pasolini). What Haneke has managed to do to some degree is create more timeless films than Salo. Salo requires a pretty rich understanding of it's particular place in history, film history, and Pasolini's oeuvre to really get a complete sense of it. I think a lot of people would argue this is a crucial flaw of the film (even if many of its themes are imparted regardless of this understanding). Some of Haneke's films really are able to transcend this kind of a requirement (some don't, White Ribbon for example, although to a lesser degree).

schoolofruckus
03-28-2011, 01:07 PM
That is an interesting connection to make between those two filmmakers, and it probably reveals why neither has connected with me. I'm firmly on Bryan's side with Salo; not being familiar with any of Pasolini's other work, it feels completely artless to me. Reading up on Fascism a little afterward definitely helped contextualize a lot of what was happening in the film, but it could scarcely have been less compelling on any level. As for Haneke's work...I'm still pretty far behind.

This past weekend, I watched Mirror and Nostalghia for the third and second times, respectively. I win.

TallGuyCM
03-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Then I watched The Killing of a Chinese Bookie as it looks like Netflix Instant has added a handful of Cassavettes films. It is also very 70s, follows a strip-club owner and leans heavily towards the realistic side of things. It is also far less cinematic, to a fault, even. I liked it but it was less engaging than Husbands, which may be the only other Cassavettes I've seen.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, Cassavetes' Minnie and Moskowitz will cease to be on Netflix Instant tomorrow. I plan on watching it tonight.

AlecEiffel
03-28-2011, 04:07 PM
For anyone who hasn't seen it, Cassavetes' Minnie and Moskowitz will cease to be on Netflix Instant tomorrow. I plan on watching it tonight.

Maybe not his best, but my personal favorite.

schoolofruckus
03-28-2011, 04:25 PM
It's a delightful movie, and definitely a must-see (but then, I say that about all his films).

bobert
03-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Watched Fish Tank last night on Netflix Instant. It's a story about a troubled, fifteen year old british girl named Mia, living in a lower-class housing project in Essex, who falls hard for her mother's new boyfriend, played by Michael Fassbender. Reminded me of a modern-day version of An Education, minus that film's pretentious moralizing and abysmal final act.

This is the second film by writer/director, Andrea Arnold, her first being Red Road from 2006, and I'd have to say she is one of the most exciting filmmakers I've come across in some time. The young girl who plays Mia (Katie Jarvis) it's absolutely phenomenal in her first performance. Supposedly Arnold heard her arguing with her boyfriend at a train station and approached her about acting in the film. It's a near perfect movie that reminded me a lot of the work of the Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne, lots gritty, handheld camera work with superb attention to detail. Arnold has some serious chops, and I eagerly await her next project. Netflix Instant - check it out.

bmack86
03-28-2011, 11:09 PM
That is an interesting connection to make between those two filmmakers, and it probably reveals why neither has connected with me. I'm firmly on Bryan's side with Salo; not being familiar with any of Pasolini's other work, it feels completely artless to me. Reading up on Fascism a little afterward definitely helped contextualize a lot of what was happening in the film, but it could scarcely have been less compelling on any level. As for Haneke's work...I'm still pretty far behind.

This past weekend, I watched Mirror and Nostalghia for the third and second times, respectively. I win.

Agreed. I was aware of the Fascist themes going into it, and I've read a considerable amount of the 120 Days of Sodom, but I'd also never seen a Pasolini before. I'm used to disturbing and graphic films, but there didn't seem to be any real reason to the film as a whole. I won't say I'm glad I've seen it, but at least i can?

wmgaretjax
03-28-2011, 11:54 PM
ultimately i think the film is only peripherally about fascism. in the same way that Haneke's Cache is only peripherally about arab relations in France. I think the current events of the time were only a vessel for what Pasolini saw as a more timeless narrative, and i think that was the cultural link he was interested in when he chose to inevitably adapt the book (I think it's important that historically it is impossible to create a direct analogy between the french and italian aristocracy, they were entirely different beats... the common variable is the complacency and desensitization of the lower class). the problem with the film is that it becomes a bit too entrenched in the moment, and the overarching importance of the reason he originally chose the book to adapt was lost in some respects. compared to L'Age d'Or it's a totally failure in this regard... but that is also what makes the film a pretty key contrast to the neo-realist cinema of the day.

At the same time, I think the film is a turning point in italian cinema because it chose to face many of these political motivations head on... assigning blame inevitably to the Italian people. This is distinct from something like say, The Conformist (a great film in it's own right), which only does so two or three times removed through philosophical smoke and mirrors. A lot of the time primarily political art is the most frustrating to try and appreciate in hindsight. Will the next generation struggle with Steve McQueen's Hunger in a similar way? maybe more so, as the visceral appeal isn't as quite as extreme in the context of most other media of our time...

schoolofruckus
03-29-2011, 08:33 AM
All good observations. Hunger is another fantastic parallel here for this purpose, but if anything, I think it makes Salo look even less effective. The political value in Hunger (the portrayal of the lengths to which the human body can be used as a vehicle of protest) is strong, but it's also so compelling in terms of form and performance that it's difficult for me to imagine it won't attract viewers in the future.

I agree with what you said about Pasolini perhaps having become too committed to capturing the specifics of Salo itself, no doubt because of his outrage at having witnessed much of it first hand. The film plays that way - angrily obsessed with the atrocities it shines a light on, to the point that the focus is on showing them at the expense of making focused commentary on them. But I like your point about this film flipping the perspective of neo-realist cinema - that's something I hadn't thought of.

The Conformist is a masterpiece with no qualifications.

wmgaretjax
03-29-2011, 08:56 AM
Yeah, there is definitely an anger in both his and Haneke's films... and I think that might weaken some of their works from a traditional filmic perspective, but there is something to be said for angry art... making a film is such a long and exhausting process, it's pretty impressive that a filmmaker can channel that anger (in an effective way imo) for such a sustained period of time. If anything, it makes for an interesting viewing experience from that perspective.

TallGuyCM
03-29-2011, 05:17 PM
The Rum Diary gets an October release:

http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2011/03/the-rum-diary-finally-has-a-release-date

KungFuJoe
03-29-2011, 07:19 PM
YES! Can't wait to see this in the theatre.
lycAYessDNo

Aphxtwinin
03-30-2011, 06:36 AM
Anyone see The Terrys short film by Tim and Eric. If not, watch it...it will change your life

wmgaretjax
03-30-2011, 03:51 PM
friend of a friend's movie hits NYC theaters this week. looks brilliant.

and an interview (http://www.filmmakermagazine.com/news/2011/03/alistair-banks-griffin-two-gates-of-sleep/) to show he's not fucking around.

schoolofruckus
03-30-2011, 04:07 PM

and an interview (http://www.filmmakermagazine.com/news/2011/03/alistair-banks-griffin-two-gates-of-sleep/) to show he's not fucking around.

I've been desperate to see this film ever since missing it at AFI. Does he know if it's playing anywhere else?

wmgaretjax
03-30-2011, 04:25 PM
it's getting a DVD release pretty shortly. i'll see if I can find out anything else.

schoolofruckus
03-30-2011, 04:29 PM
Not good enough. Tell your friend to tell his friend to call the Cinefamily or some shit.

bobert
03-30-2011, 04:47 PM

I'm intrigued. The cinematography looks incredible.

juloxx
03-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Any Akira fans here? Well prepare to smash your computer screen

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-urgent-questions-about-live-action-akira-remake/

bobert
03-30-2011, 05:13 PM
Any Akira fans here? Well prepare to smash your computer screen

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-urgent-questions-about-live-action-akira-remake/

Well, at least they're only going to change everything that made the movie a classic. Great job, Hollywood.

TallGuyCM
03-30-2011, 06:59 PM
I don't think I mentioned it after I watched it last week, but the locust scene and the 20 or so minutes that followed it in Malick's Days of Heaven was one of the most marvelous scenes I've seen in anything ever.

wmgaretjax
03-30-2011, 07:39 PM
yes sir. no doubt about it. up there with the riot scene in werckmeister harmonies... both scenes left me completely overwhelmed.

Down Rodeo
03-31-2011, 03:11 PM
The victory sequence in The Thin Red Line had a similar effect on me recently.

Also, Two Gates of Sleep does look awesome indeed. The trailer almost makes it look like a modern twist on As I Lay Dying.

SoulDischarge
03-31-2011, 07:56 PM
Watched My Winnipeg, which was absolutely delightful. I haven't laughed so hard at something in ages. I pretty much love everything about what Guy Maddin's does, and this was one of his best that I've seen, even if it was kind of rambling and self indulgent (but in all the best ways).

aY9BtROpNQ4

Maddin can be a little alienating, but everyone who hasn't already should check this one out. Seriously people, do it. (I think Hannah in particular would enjoy it).

Alchemy
03-31-2011, 08:35 PM
I just finished Summer Wars after KungFuJoe's recommendation. I thought it had some fantastic characters in it, but the sci-fi storyline wasn't so great. It had a great romantic premise that I wish they ran with.

I also just finished the Three Colors trilogy, which I loved. In my opinion: Blue > Red > White. Blue was magnificent.

I alllso recently watched The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - a prrrretty great western.

KungFuJoe
04-01-2011, 11:51 AM
http://twitchfilm.com/news/totorothumb.jpg
http://japancinema.net/2011/04/01/exclusive-first-look-pixar-studios-totoro-coming-2011/

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-01-2011, 12:01 PM
That is a really heartbreaking April Fool's joke, because I would love to see that happen. Setting the release date for this year kind of kills the joke though

cutterbutter
04-01-2011, 01:23 PM
I HATE the way Totoro looks in that picture. That should never even be joked about.

Down Rodeo
04-02-2011, 12:24 AM
I also just finished the Three Colors trilogy, which I loved. In my opinion: Blue > Red > White. Blue was magnificent.

Spot on.

I alllso recently watched The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - a prrrretty great western.

I recently watched this too and it was an excellent film.

wmgaretjax
04-02-2011, 06:16 AM
Ha! I recently watched that as well. Love it.

Also. Red and Blue are neck and neck for me... they flip back and forth from time to time.

schoolofruckus
04-02-2011, 08:19 AM
Jen and I watched Due Date last night. It was pretty great, thanks to a mean-spirited current that most movies of this ilk tend to ultimately shy away from. There are definitely some large-scale hijinks and sight gags (almost all of which you would have seen in the trailers), but the bulk of the humor derives from Downey's misanthropy, which is allowed to play almost completely unhinged. He seriously gives a top-notch performance playing the "straight" man here. Galifianakis is excellent as well - the best narrative performance I've seen from him. The tone is a little weird - which, I would imagine, is the reason so many people were cool on it - but I think this one will find a bit more appreciation down the road.

wmgaretjax
04-02-2011, 10:09 AM
i think Another Year is finally available on DVD... probably the best film I've seen in a long time. probably leigh's most subtly crafted character piece... and that's really saying something.

i might add that it is probably one of the most vicious movies this side of Haneke... really jarring to go from Happy Go-Lucky to this.

mountmccabe
04-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Jen and I watched Due Date last night. It was pretty great, thanks to a mean-spirited current that most movies of this ilk tend to ultimately shy away from. There are definitely some large-scale hijinks and sight gags (almost all of which you would have seen in the trailers), but the bulk of the humor derives from Downey's misanthropy, which is allowed to play almost completely unhinged. He seriously gives a top-notch performance playing the "straight" man here. Galifianakis is excellent as well - the best narrative performance I've seen from him. The tone is a little weird - which, I would imagine, is the reason so many people were cool on it - but I think this one will find a bit more appreciation down the road.

This is the review I wrote about that fine film (though I don't think I posted it here,) after I saw it because I lost a bet

There is a point in Due Date, maybe 3/4 of the way through that it threatens to go completely off the rail. The biggest set piece of the film is developing and it is way crazier than anything we've seen before and there is no logical way out. It is at this point in some films that we'll get a twist that'll blow our minds and make us reinterpret everything that has happened thus far or maybe it will go into entirely into a fantasy land. Or, as in many of these poorly plotted collections of almost unrelated set pieces, it'll magically be morning and everything will be back to normal, spitting in the face of what made the bit we just saw work. Oh, sorry, viewer's sense of wonder at what is going on and how it is going to be resolved, you're no longer necessary because we got our laugh.

That brief moment of wonder – which was quickly spat upon – is what I got out of Due Date. Well, that and a few laughs, mostly at things I saw in the hundreds of ads I saw for this fine film. I mean, sure, it is great that they held on to it for so long so as to avoid the summer blockbusters and get in before Thanksgiving and Christmas but if they knew it was a film to dump why advertise for it so much? Fuck off, Fox!

This is a film about two people – one pathetic and despicable, the other psychopathic and despicable – travelling from one clumsily telegraphed comedy sketch to another. Sure, these are movie-level comedy sketches so they can have weed and a masturbating dog and Robert Downey Jr being shot, twice. And they can show the straight man getting a contact high – his first – which causes him to hallucinate and form a deep bond with a man he hates.

This fresh trope does not actually change anything though. The only thing resolved in the film is geographic location. There’s quite a bit of mileage around Zach’s dad and Robert’s rage but Zach continues to be ridiculous and Robert continues to be an asshole. And, sure, Robert is able to tolerate the adoring Zach some of the time but he still can’t even be nice.

The dog, when not masturbating was sadly underused. He made few noises and except in a few spots where he was eating off of Zach’s fork or trying to look stoned the same effect could’ve be brought about by having Zach carry around a purse.

Being in Arizona I must also knock them for making a big deal about the Grand Canyon and then green screening it and then having the least Grand Canyon-esque setting and experience.

Zach Galifianakis occasionally had some funny lines in the “oh, really, they’re going that far to paint him as stupid?” style of funny and Robert Downey Jr was generally believable and sympathetic as someone who mostly wanted to tear Zach apart... but completely unsympathetic in every other way. The other characters hardly exist, which is probably what is best for them.

schoolofruckus
04-02-2011, 05:16 PM
So, Monsters was weak shit. The line producer gets an A+, but I'd have to give basically everyone else a C or worse. I loved the ending until Jen brought to my attention that it directly connects with the cold opening, which I think is pretty cheap - without that, it's a fantastic climax. As it stands, it's an immaculately resourceful but thoroughly shallow film, both in its view of the characters and its storytelling abilities.

I'm in the middle of a fucking miserable allergy attack that kept me from being at Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair this afternoon. I had tickets and everything, but dragging my wheezing, snot-pouring head into a five hour screening would have gone against every principle I hold towards theatergoing etiquette.

wmgaretjax
04-02-2011, 06:34 PM
yeah. i really wish the good ending wasn't tarnished by the beginning.

Down Rodeo
04-02-2011, 09:12 PM
i think Another Year is finally available on DVD... probably the best film I've seen in a long time. probably leigh's most subtly crafted character piece... and that's really saying something.

i might add that it is probably one of the most vicious movies this side of Haneke... really jarring to go from Happy Go-Lucky to this.

How I've waited so damn long to see this film...and missed out on several chances too. This is great to hear though, Jared. I'm going to track this down right away.

Speaking of missed chances...Uncle Boonmee was playing right down the street from me during spring break and I missed it. Probably not a huge loss but I'll likely have very few chances to see a Weerasethakul film on the big screen again.

TallGuyCM
04-03-2011, 01:57 AM
I watched Wong Kar-Wai's Fallen Angels tonight. Given the description of the film, I was mostly expecting a high-paced assassin romp of sorts, but instead it turned out being this odd, strangely interesting little introspective piece that examined relationships and perspective (I think).

schoolofruckus
04-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Speaking of missed chances...Uncle Boonmee was playing right down the street from me during spring break and I missed it. Probably not a huge loss but I'll likely have very few chances to see a Weerasethakul film on the big screen again.

That's unfortunate, but I'm guessing you'll get plenty of chances to see his future work in cinemas. Uncle Boonmee is doing okay...hopefully distributors like Strand continue to pick up his films.

I watched Wong Kar-Wai's Fallen Angels tonight. Given the description of the film, I was mostly expecting a high-paced assassin romp of sorts, but instead it turned out being this odd, strangely interesting little introspective piece that examined relationships and perspective (I think).

I fucking LOVE Fallen Angels. I'm assuming this was your first Wong Kar-Wai film (it was mine too).

TallGuyCM
04-03-2011, 01:11 PM
I fucking LOVE Fallen Angels. I'm assuming this was your first Wong Kar-Wai film (it was mine too).

It was my first indeed. I decided to watch it randomly, Haneke's Funny Games was having problems playing on Netflix Instant, so after giving up on that for some reason Fallen Angels caught my eye.

I look forward to checking out Wong's other films, Fallen Angels had a very unique style to it that I quite liked.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-04-2011, 08:16 AM
Watched Mesrine Part 2: Public Enemy #1 last night...it was somehow more violent, with more bank heists, gun battles, and prison break than the first one. I highly suggest this duology to anyone that likes gritty crime stuff. It's super entertaining and Vincent Cassell does a terrific job in it.

Neutral Milk Hotel
04-04-2011, 08:36 AM

Haha, Wong Kar-Wai is about as far from high-paced romps as you can get. My first WKW was 2046, which has to be his most fractured, inaccessible films, but I loved it, and I love him.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-04-2011, 08:43 AM
I have seen Chungking Express, which I LOVED (and coincidentally stayed in the Chngking Mansion when i visited Hong Kong before I ever saw the film, so that gave me an added layer to it) and My Blueberry Nights, which I was so/so about. I need to check out his other stuff

schoolofruckus
04-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Happy Woulda-Been-79th Birthday, Andrei Tarkovsky. How the fuck were you able to shoot Polaroids that look like stills from your films (http://www.toxicocultura.com/blog/?p=5360)? Was it a magic camera as a result of having been transferred from Antonioni to you?

SoulDischarge
04-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Those are stunning.

PotVsKtl
04-04-2011, 10:01 AM
Yeah, gorgeous shots and proof that Tarkovsky was the mind behind the mise-en-scene.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Just watched Summer Wars...thanks for the rec, KungFuJoe! It was beautiful.

Alchemy
04-04-2011, 10:17 PM
So I've had absolutely no interest in seeing Scott Pilgrim vs. The World except for the fact that everybody kept telling me that it was great. I just remember the trailers seeming really lame.

That being said, I just watched it and gave it 5 stars on Netflix.

TallGuyCM
04-05-2011, 12:56 AM
Happy Woulda-Been-79th Birthday, Andrei Tarkovsky.

I celebrated his birthday by watching The Sacrifice for the first time tonight. Like most of his films, there's a good amount of visual and thematic content that I wasn't able to fully grasp with one viewing. What an amazing work, though. It seems like on here it's considered one of his lesser films, which is just hilarious, because for 99% of the filmmakers that have ever existed it would have been their mangum opus.

schoolofruckus
04-05-2011, 09:06 AM
After Ivan's Childhood, I wouldn't consider anything Tarkovsky did to be minor. His last six films each deserve to be called the best I've ever seen. Jared said once that his favorite Tarkovsky is whichever one he watched last, which is the best way to put it.

schoolofruckus
04-05-2011, 09:16 AM
Did anyone see Tiny Furniture? I heard it was a Juno-esque quirkfest (and it certainly looked the part), but apparently it's getting a Criterion release.

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days. is allegedly getting one as well...

wmgaretjax
04-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Jared said once that his favorite Tarkovsky is whichever one he watched last, which is the best way to put it.

I feel the same way about Bresson to be honest... Although if you really, really press me I'd say Mirror and Mouchette. Wait... Solaris and Pickpocket... fuck.

Hannahrain
04-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Have any of you ever subscribed to/checked out Wholphin (http://www.wholphindvd.com/issues/) from McSweeney's? Someone I know's looking for a gift recommend for someone else I know who I think would like it in theory, but I've never checked it out myself and I trust you guys a little more than randomly googled internet reviews. Good gift? Bad gift?

wmgaretjax
04-05-2011, 11:04 AM
eh... the wholphin stuff can be a lot of fun to watch if you are a film nerd... but they are really, really, really, really hit and miss. i'd say good gift for a major film nerd that likes short films. but bad gift for anyone else.

BlackSwan
04-05-2011, 12:43 PM
So I've had absolutely no interest in seeing Scott Pilgrim vs. The World except for the fact that everybody kept telling me that it was great. I just remember the trailers seeming really lame.

That being said, I just watched it and gave it 5 stars on Netflix.

Right? The same thing happened to me. Vegan powers.

juloxx
04-05-2011, 12:54 PM
not as many people are angered at the potential butchering of Akira as I thought there would be. Perhaps a visual aid might help.

This guy....
http://www.toplessrobot.com/tetsuo.jpg

Is potentially gonna be played by this guy....
http://newsinabox.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Robert-Pattinson-twilight.jpg

TallGuyCM
04-05-2011, 12:59 PM
:confused:

Sean Hayes (of Will and Grace fame) to play Larry in The Three Stooges:

http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/1062-sean-hayes-is-your-latest-and-hopefully-last-stooge

Hannahrain
04-05-2011, 01:01 PM
eh... the wholphin stuff can be a lot of fun to watch if you are a film nerd... but they are really, really, really, really hit and miss. i'd say good gift for a major film nerd that likes short films. but bad gift for anyone else.

Appreciate the feedback, thanks. I'm not surprised, given that McSweeney's as a whole could probably adopt "We're Hit Or Miss" as a tagline without ruffling even the most devoted feathers.

AlecEiffel
04-05-2011, 01:03 PM
not as many people are angered at the potential butchering of Akira as I thought there would be.

Yeah, it's going to be bad. It's not a huge surprise. No one is going to take the original away from you.

BeaverCat
04-05-2011, 01:04 PM
not as many people are angered at the potential butchering of Akira as I thought there would be. Perhaps a visual aid might help.

This guy....
http://www.toplessrobot.com/tetsuo.jpg

Is potentially gonna be played by this guy....
http://newsinabox.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Robert-Pattinson-twilight.jpg

Robert Pattinson getting his arm blown off and transforming into a giant grotesque blob of flesh?... I'm warming up to it..

schoolofruckus
04-05-2011, 02:03 PM
It's really difficult to reconcile the guy who gave this interview (http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2001/sep/25/artsfeatures1) with the guy who directed Your Highness.

SoulDischarge
04-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Speaking of great directors and photography: http://www.howtobearetronaut.com/2011/03/stanley-kubricks-chicago-1949/

juloxx
04-05-2011, 03:36 PM
FRxt1GiiZiA

schoolofruckus
04-05-2011, 04:45 PM
That doesn't qualify as a movie.

schoolofruckus
04-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Speaking of great directors and photography: http://www.howtobearetronaut.com/2011/03/stanley-kubricks-chicago-1949/

That's a fucking SPECTACULAR collection of shots.