PDA

View Full Version : Schoolio's Movie Corner

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 [89] 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124

getbetter
02-08-2011, 01:40 PM
Anothony Burgress novel Clockwork orange is a fucking Sci-fi so should be the movie.

wmgaretjax
02-08-2011, 01:41 PM
I don't think anyone here would argue that Clockwork Orange isn't sci-fi... and if they do, put them on ignore.

jackstraw94086
02-08-2011, 01:50 PM
the comparison to Clockwork is on point, but I don't think that in and of itself makes it sci-fi.

there is also the point that all of the behavioral "science" that you would point to in Dogtooth is pretty much ancient...

I don't think the timeframe of Clockwork makes it sci-fi. The future aspect of it is just a way to create enough space to flesh out a dystopian society.

The only thing mildly "futuristic" about the film was his hifi that he used to play his fuzzy warbles on and hear his angel trumpets and devil trombones.

commence ignore.

getbetter
02-08-2011, 01:53 PM
:mad:

guedita
02-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Slave Jim please. I've probably read less textbooks than any person here. All I'm saying is that science fiction is supposed to be motivated by science (which is not the same as being set in the future). If you find that to be a wacky notion, that's on you.

So Honey I Shrunk The Kids is definitely sci-fi, then.

GeezrRckr
02-08-2011, 01:54 PM
I don't think anyone here would argue that Clockwork Orange isn't sci-fi... and if they do, put them on ignore.
^not arguing that, btw.

but...yes, i think equating a rote, perversion of social science as sci-fi to be a wacky notion.

guilty as charged.

DANCE MAGIC
02-08-2011, 01:59 PM
you guys have literally spent an entire page arguing about semantics and genre classification. i don't think its possible to be more pretentious, especially given the fact that you're talking about A Clockwork Orange. Who fucking cares if one person calls it "sci-fi" and another person calls it "comedy?" What difference does it make?

jackstraw94086
02-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Sci-fi generally has some sort of uninvented or infeasible or "ficticious" technology as its theme or at least a background. As in it's not possible that it could actually happen today. I don't think "future" is enough.

A film like Clockwork is a real stretch by reasoning.

What is a definition of sci-fi which could encompass clockwork? Serious question.

guedita
02-08-2011, 02:03 PM
What is a definition of sci-fi which could encompass clockwork? Serious question.

Kate and Leopold.

MissingPerson
02-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Most HG Wells, Hellboy, steampunk.

BlackSwan
02-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Slave Jim please. I've probably read less textbooks than any person here. All I'm saying is that science fiction is supposed to be motivated by science (which is not the same as being set in the future). If you find that to be a wacky notion, that's on you.

Forgive me if I am stating the obvious, but setting a story in the future usually involves the inclusion of some fictitious technology, which is why it may be considered sci-fi along with other genres, but if we were to go purely by your definition of, "science fiction is supposed to be motivated by science", this would be a sci-fi movie:

http://www.comingsoon.net/gallery/36537/The_Time_Travelers_Wife_poster.jpg

wmgaretjax
02-08-2011, 02:05 PM
I don't think the timeframe of Clockwork makes it sci-fi. The future aspect of it is just a way to create enough space to flesh out a dystopian society.

The only thing mildly "futuristic" about the film was his hifi that he used to play his fuzzy warbles on and hear his angel trumpets and devil trombones.

i don't think the futuristic components of the film are what makes it sci-fi. it's the science fiction.

where making someone physical unable to contemplate violence is clearly a stretch that signifies the content as science fiction, the completely plausible behavioral modification in Dogtooth is not.

jackstraw94086
02-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Kate and Leopold.

don't even try to pretend that shit couldn't really happen.

daxton
02-08-2011, 02:11 PM
I personally don't see the importance of classifying everything.

wmgaretjax
02-08-2011, 02:12 PM
hahaha. hey lips, don't even. you started this.

jackstraw94086
02-08-2011, 02:12 PM
i don't think the futuristic components of the film are what makes it sci-fi. it's the science fiction.

where making someone physical unable to contemplate violence is clearly a stretch that signifies the content as science fiction, the completely plausible behavioral modification in Dogtooth is not.

The Ludovico therapy was not a stretch, it's entirely feasible right now or even plausible in the 60's. All they did was show him intermingled violent and sexual imagery while making him nauseous. It's just that our society couldn't stomach trying it. Burgess had to create a satirical society that could. Might as well have it be in the future (and I know you've already ceded the future argument).

Alex may as well have been watching basic cable while drinking eye drops.

GeezrRckr
02-08-2011, 02:15 PM
you guys have literally spent an entire page arguing about semantics and genre classification. i don't think its possible to be more pretentious, especially given the fact that you're talking about A Clockwork Orange. Who fucking cares if one person calls it "sci-fi" and another person calls it "comedy?" What difference does it make?
you nailed it. i just couldn't let the Dogtooth being sci-fi comment go without dealing a bit.

that, and the aforementioned enmity i have for that craptastic turdshow. any reference to that crappy film is like when you go to the doctor and he hits you just above your kneecap with that weird hammer-like thing. yeah, that's my feeling on that one.

wmgaretjax
02-08-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm gonna step out because I'm sick as fuck and really don't care... but it is absolutely a stretch. There is absolutely no way that conditioning could ever manage to completely capture complex concepts such as violence and sexuality. We could try it all we want, it wouldn't work that way. Hence, science fiction.

Mau5 Boyz
02-08-2011, 02:18 PM

soz usingz thatz logicz herez somez sciencez fictionz filmz

lovez potionz numberz 9z
realz geniusz
drz strangezlovez
absentz mindez professorz
atomicz cafez
manhattanz projectz
az briefz historyz ofz timez
flubberz

daxton
02-08-2011, 02:18 PM
hahaha. hey lips, don't even. you started this.

I didn't mean to, I swear.

PotVsKtl
02-08-2011, 02:22 PM
I'm not sure how it follows that disagreeing on genre classifications has anything to do with being pretentious. Calling someone pretentious is pretty fucking pretentious. Calling a movie about behavioral science a science fiction movie is just inaccurate. Says I.

PotVsKtl
02-08-2011, 02:22 PM
Is there a particular reason one of the mods won't ban Mau5 Boyz?

GeezrRckr
02-08-2011, 02:25 PM
because he speaks Menik's language.

jackstraw94086
02-08-2011, 02:33 PM
I'm gonna step out because I'm sick as fuck and really don't care... but it is absolutely a stretch. There is absolutely no way that conditioning could ever manage to completely capture complex concepts such as violence and sexuality. We could try it all we want, it wouldn't work that way. Hence, science fiction.

There's hardly much suspension of disbelief necessary here. They tried to create some sort of pavlovian response, which is entirely plausible, if admittedly complex. And in the end they weren't happy with the results. You probably just demostrating the societal distaste for the notion that Burgess had to write his way around.

How do you know it could never work? is there something going on in your basement we shouldn't know about?

MissingPerson
02-08-2011, 02:44 PM
The Day After or Threads or whatever are sort of potentially plausible though, you wouldn't consider them sci fi?

guedita
02-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Once brought into conscious existence, everything is plausible.

schoolofruckus
02-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Sci-fi generally has some sort of uninvented or infeasible or "ficticious" technology as its theme or at least a background. As in it's not possible that it could actually happen today. I don't think "future" is enough.

You're right that most sci-fi generally does contain some sort of advanced technology, but I don't think that's an end-all qualification, either. Take Inception - it's a fun and relatively-impressive, mega-scale crime movie that concerns a dream-sharing technology that doesn't exist now. But I would hesitate to call it science fiction, as it has no interest in science (other than as a heist mechanism), nor in addressing its ideas scientifically.

The ideas behind Dogtooth, on the other hand, may be as old as the dawn of man, but at least the film is interested in them from a scientific perspective.

boxofbox
02-08-2011, 02:47 PM
what about social sciences (e.g. sociology, communication, criminology, etc.)? are all fictional depictions of social interactions considered science fiction? is CSI science fiction?

MissingPerson
02-08-2011, 02:49 PM
YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Well, no. Not really.

Tat-the-Cat
02-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Are you saying that "Dogtooth" is a science fiction movie? WTF?!? We obviously watched two entirely different movies. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

jackstraw94086
02-08-2011, 02:59 PM
You're right that most sci-fi generally does contain some sort of advanced technology, but I don't think that's an end-all qualification, either. Take Inception - it's a fun and relatively-impressive, mega-scale crime movie that concerns a dream-sharing technology that doesn't exist now. But I would hesitate to call it science fiction, as it has no interest in science (other than as a heist mechanism), nor in addressing its ideas scientifically.

The ideas behind Dogtooth, on the other hand, may be as old as the dawn of man, but at least the film is interested in them from a scientific perspective.

I think I would have to call Inception sci-fi. You're right it just gingerly sidesteps the whole necessary science portion, but it's just not a story that could be told without a technology that doesn't exist.

And I just don't believe having a scientific perspective is enough to make a movie sci-fi. sci-fi isn't fiction about science. It's about ficticious science.
At least IMO.

And this argument could have HUGE implications as far as spending a few more minutes looking for a video in the wrong aisle or getting bad associated recommendations on a website because of a miscategorization.

HUUUUUGE.

so fuck off, morons who complain about arguments on the internetz.

schoolofruckus
02-08-2011, 03:00 PM
I'm not sure how it follows that disagreeing on genre classifications has anything to do with being pretentious. Calling someone pretentious is pretty fucking pretentious.

That, and a nice final resort when one has nothing else to offer the conversation.

Are you saying that "Dogtooth" is a science fiction movie? WTF?!? We obviously watched two entirely different movies. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Did you sign up just to fight me on this?

I don't mind that I'm on an island this time (even though this island has no cinephiles with which to conspire). And I agree that it really doesn't matter one way or another what genre any of these movies are (although I'm probably most likely to get riled up over the idea that Inception is sci-fi, but that's rooted in my reservations about it). But I made my claim, so I had to stand by it.

GeezrRckr
02-08-2011, 03:02 PM
wait, Inception is a sci-fi flick now?

WAT?!

schoolofruckus
02-08-2011, 03:05 PM
I think I would have to call Inception sci-fi. You're right it just gingerly sidesteps the whole necessary science portion, but it's just not a story that could be told without a technology that doesn't exist.

And I just don't believe having a scientific perspective is enough to make a movie sci-fi. sci-fi isn't fiction about science. It's about ficticious science.
At least IMO.

And this argument could have HUGE implications as far as spending a few more minutes looking for a video in the wrong aisle or getting bad associated recommendations on a website because of a miscategorization.

HUUUUUGE.

so fuck off, morons who complain about arguments on the internetz.

I agree with everything you said. But now I'm wondering if you didn't have a little slip at the end and reveal that YOU ARE MAU5 BOYZ!!!!!!!

jackstraw94086
02-08-2011, 03:06 PM
That, and a nice final resort when one has nothing else to offer the conversation.

I've tried to make the same argument countless times when idiots try to scoff at classifying EDM, but they'll never get it.

PotVsKtl
http://www.orgonebox.org/allegoric/wp-content/gallery/creature_feature/ice_pirates/IcePirates_(46).jpg

jackstraw94086
I agree with everything you said. But now I'm wondering if you didn't have a little slip at the end and reveal that YOU ARE MAU5 BOYZ!!!!!!!

goddammit.

bobert
02-08-2011, 03:07 PM

Good question, man. Why are you incapable of posting anything of substance? Why doesn't anyone care what you have to say. Life is a mystery.

jackstraw94086
02-08-2011, 03:09 PM
wait, Inception is a sci-fi flick now?

WAT?!

The genres had a meeting, and no other one would claim it.

guedita
02-08-2011, 03:09 PM
I thought it was a tragiscicomedy

bmack86
02-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Inception wasn't considered Sci Fi at some point? I thought of Inception as a sci fi film, just as I'd think of Clockwork Orange as a form of sci fi. Clockwork seems like it takes a similar approach to Brazil, focusing on what would happen if certain societal norms were elevated to their extremes. That Clockwork happens to do so in a more normal, easily analogous society doesn't change my mind on it; it's a fictional tale of the (near) future that looks at and criticizes modern society through the lens of the future.

Ardentbiscuit
02-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Please see this link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fiction

And this link.

http://www.answers.com/topic/science-fiction

And this

http://www.explore-science-fiction-movies.com/definition-of-science-fiction.html#axzz1DPrJiq8G

I really have no opinion on this subject, but really everyone can call it what they want and decide for themselves.

And this final link...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mental+masturbation

PotVsKtl
02-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Please see this link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fiction

And this link.

http://www.answers.com/topic/science-fiction

And this

http://www.explore-science-fiction-movies.com/definition-of-science-fiction.html#axzz1DPrJiq8G

I really have no opinion on this subject, but really everyone can call it what they want and decide for themselves.

And this final link...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mental+masturbation

Post couldn't be more useless. Go waste your time inside a dick barrel.

GeezrRckr
02-08-2011, 03:40 PM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=barrel%20of%20dicks

mountmccabe
02-08-2011, 03:41 PM
All I'm saying is that science fiction is supposed to be motivated by science (which is not the same as being set in the future).

Hey this is the thing that I agree with.

Tat-the-Cat
02-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Why are people such assholes on this forum?

BlackSwan
02-08-2011, 04:04 PM
sci-fi isn't fiction about science. It's about ficticious science.

I agree with this.

Ardentbiscuit
02-08-2011, 11:35 PM
Post couldn't be more useless. Go waste your time inside a dick barrel.

And your point? You don't have to read my posts. Your response was completely uncalled for.

wmgaretjax
02-08-2011, 11:36 PM
Oh fuck off with your indignation.

Ardentbiscuit
02-08-2011, 11:37 PM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=barrel%20of%20dicks

Why would you back up his hostile and uncalled for response with this post? I don't have anything against you...

daxton
02-08-2011, 11:38 PM
Indignation and pretension! Everyone is so mad!

Ardentbiscuit
02-08-2011, 11:39 PM
Oh fuck off with your indignation.

Seriously this board gets more hilarious everyday.

Hannahrain
02-08-2011, 11:43 PM
I wholeheartedly disagree.

SoulDischarge
02-08-2011, 11:49 PM
This argument is a dystopian nightmare ripped from tomorrow's headlines. I'm having trouble figuring out if it's sci-fi or not though.

wmgaretjax
02-08-2011, 11:53 PM
dear god... when did people decide this was a good thread to be internet tone deaf in? little miss muffet up there is actually taking things personally.

GeezrRckr
02-09-2011, 12:10 AM
Why are people such assholes on this forum?
i agree with this.

it's indignant, dystopian, hostile and totally uncalled for...but not hilarious whatsoever. i'm kinda thinking it's right along the lines of enter the void.

ya feel me?

MissingPerson
02-09-2011, 04:57 AM
I'm sorry, I missed most of this argument because I was wasting my time watching movies. Somebody catch me up?

Ardentbiscuit
02-09-2011, 05:26 AM
Sheesh, I was joking.

As for the question, It was some argument that started regarding dogtooth being sci fi or not snd what is sci fi.

I wish everyone would just go back to talking about films I could care less about.

malcolmjamalawesome
02-09-2011, 05:34 AM
Can't we all agree that science fiction is so gay

Mr.Nipples
02-09-2011, 06:44 AM
heartbeeps is pretty fucking gay...

schoolofruckus
02-09-2011, 07:49 AM
So is Kaboom. It's hard to explain the appeal of a film in which so many elements (writing, photography, production design, acting) are amateurish in their very best moments, but there's an energy and sense of humor that keeps it more amusing than it should be. It covers a lot of the same ground as Donnie Darko, with a similarly pulpy but far more braindead approach. I guess the term I'm looking for is "small dumb fun".

Recommended to: Gregg Araki devotees, people who liked Rules of Attraction and Southland Tales.

Alchemy
02-09-2011, 08:38 AM
What are some movies set in the future (say, at least ten years ahead of its time?) that avoided a sci-fi premise or focus? Or avoid sci-fi things as much as possible.

mountmccabe
02-09-2011, 03:36 PM
A Scanner Darkly's only significant fake-tech is the Scramble Suit. And that is primarily a bit of show; it has no real effect on the plot.

A lot of Dick's later writings are either not sci-fi at all or hardly sci-fi though they tend to get classified as such because that's where he got his start.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Before the monster comes, i love Predator 2's take on 1997 Los Angeles as a total warzone, the only result of setting it 7 years in the future

DANCE MAGIC
02-09-2011, 03:57 PM
In the opening scene of Blade Runner, the screen titles clearly say "LOS ANGELES," but it is raining. SCI FI.

getbetter
02-09-2011, 03:58 PM
but that was a true story drinkey

MissingPerson
02-09-2011, 04:00 PM
Alchemy's question is a good one, I'm just scratching my head looking for an answer. The most obvious kind of non-sci fi futurey movies I think of would be a film with some kind of political speculation, but I can't think of an example offhand. 1984 kind of/maybe.

DANCE MAGIC
02-09-2011, 04:06 PM
What are some movies set in the future (say, at least ten years ahead of its time?) that avoided a sci-fi premise or focus? Or avoid sci-fi things as much as possible.

Children of Men comes to mind. I am Legend, I guess. Moon, sort of, except for the whole cloning thing. Paycheck? V for Vendetta.. that's the best I can do.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-09-2011, 04:07 PM
but that was a true story drinkey

You're right, I totally forgot about the epic street war between the Jamaicans and the Mexicans in L.A.

mountmccabe
02-09-2011, 04:24 PM
Children of Men comes to mind. I am Legend, I guess. Moon, sort of, except for the whole cloning thing. Paycheck? V for Vendetta.. that's the best I can do.

I was about to suggest Children Of Men so I agree there.

But I would say Moon and Paycheck are out because their central conceits are based on fake-tech/fake-science.

And, shit, Moon is about as pure sci-fi as it gets; a dude is on the fucking Moon working at a facility harvesting He to ship to the Earth for power and his only friends are a sentient/sapient robot and other clones like him. The basic motivations of this film are entirely built upon scientific and sci-fi tropes.

mountmccabe
02-09-2011, 04:27 PM
I wouldn't mind some thought/discussion on Waterworld. The former is rather reliant on science/tech-type stuff but it's low tech, generally so that bent may disqualify it. Also I haven't seen it in forever so there may be some other sci-fi tropes.

Also along the lines of Children of Men, what about The Handmaid's Tale? It is set well into the future and I don't know of any real sci-fi type stuff going on. But I have not yet seen it so I can't really say.

algunz
02-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Gattaca has been on cable a lot the past week. I love that movie. :2c

bobert
02-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Watched Peeping Tom for the first time last night. Fucking phenomenal. It was always one of those films I'd heard about, wanted to see, but just never got around to it for whatever reason.

As common as serial killer films have become these days it was great to see an old-fashion movie earn all of its scares through top-notch performance and filmmaking with hardly any blood-shed or on-screen violence. Truly scary and unsettling. It's on Netlix instant, highly recommended to anyone that hasn't seen it.

MissingPerson
02-09-2011, 04:41 PM
what about The Handmaid's Tale? It is set well into the future and I don't know of any real sci-fi type stuff going on. But I have not yet seen it so I can't really say.

Ah, that's exactly the kind of stuff I'm thinking of, yeah. Same with Children of Men though, both rely on some currently unimaginable biological cataclysm.

GeezrRckr
02-09-2011, 04:42 PM
best sci-fi ever

XMfasIbOn1g

daxton
02-09-2011, 04:44 PM
^ I need to see that. I'm embarrassed to say I haven't.

daxton
02-09-2011, 04:46 PM
So, Biodome, definitely a sci-fi right?

wmgaretjax
02-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Watched Peeping Tom for the first time last night. Fucking phenomenal. It was always one of those films I'd heard about, wanted to see, but just never got around to it for whatever reason.

As common as serial killer films have become these days it was great to see an old-fashion movie earn all of its scares through top-notch performance and filmmaking with hardly any blood-shed or on-screen violence. Truly scary and unsettling. It's on Netlix instant, highly recommended to anyone that hasn't seen it.

Yes. Definitely my favorite Powell film as well. It's crazy to think that this film basically ruined his career and was completely despised by most of the press and movie going public at the time.

mountmccabe
02-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Alchemy's question, I think, really boils down to: why would a film be set in the future it wasn't going to use made-up tech and/or related sci-fi tropes other than just being in the future.

And the three films we've come up with as at least close (I haven't seen I am Legend or V for Vendetta so I must leave those out of my analysis) are all police-states with massive plagues* (figuratively) upon the Earth. They all could've been set in an alternate present but that would rob them of some of their immediacy.

We wouldn't be able to think, hey, this could really happen.

* I would certainly argue that the rampant, overwhelming drug use in A Scanner Darkly definitely counts.

getbetter
02-09-2011, 06:01 PM
So, Biodome, definitely a sci-fi right?

http://www.moviegoods.com/Assets/product_images/1020/188260.1020.A.jpg

Alchemy
02-09-2011, 06:50 PM
I forgot about The Handmaid's Tale and V for Vendetta... For me, Children of Men is as much sci-fi as it is a dystopia film. I say that because I'd consider the premise of people not being able to have children as a sci-fi premise. It may be a speculative science, rather than a fictional science, but I would consider speculative science to fit under the realm of science fiction. It's one of my favorite movies, for sure...

But anyway, future movies do tend to move toward sci-fi or dystopia. That's logical. I was just wondering if somebody ever made a movie set into the future to show something else. For example, if I were to make a movie about 2021, not have a scientific premise, not depict a dystopia, but maybe show a world not too unlike ours, except maybe there are different social prejudices or different cultures or different governments (non-police state, dystopian...). I guess, sort of like the frame of an alternative present, like mountmccabe said, but set in the future to give us the "What if..."

EDIT: Oh, also, not post-apocalyptic. That's another popular type.

Alchemy
02-09-2011, 07:06 PM
By the way, I just watched Grave of the Fireflies...

... What the fuck...

It's not a movie. It's just stomping on your heart and losing everything. I am no longer an American. I will be close to nobody. The pain is too real. Don't show this movie to your kids. They will grow up to be empty shells.

MissingPerson
02-09-2011, 07:07 PM
That about sums that experience up, yes.

I saw it listed in the TV guide last week and I swear to Christ just remembering it was out there ruined my whole day.

Beautiful film, in an agonising kind of way.

Alchemy
02-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Yeah, it was great. I would have given it 5 stars. But I took one star away, only because it took one of my stars away... A fifth of my happiness, I mean...

wmgaretjax
02-09-2011, 07:20 PM
For example, if I were to make a movie about 2021, not have a scientific premise, not depict a dystopia, but maybe show a world not too unlike ours, except maybe there are different social prejudices or different cultures or different governments (non-police state, dystopian...). I guess, sort of like the frame of an alternative present, like mountmccabe said, but set in the future to give us the "What if..."

That's the thing though... And I think it's why John's distinguishing between literature and film in this regard is key... It's incredibly difficult to articulate those kinds of cultural and political differences on a substantial scale without resorting to genre tropes... I think that's why it's really hard to think of films that are like this.

edit: we don't have the exact problem making non-genre films about the past because we have the social and cultural references that make that kind of articulation easier... but even good period films are really fucking rare.

bobert
02-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Yes. Definitely my favorite Powell film as well. It's crazy to think that this film basically ruined his career and was completely despised by most of the press and movie going public at the time.

That was my first Michael Powell film, I think. Looked him up on IMDB and didn't recognize any other films I'd seen. Any recommendations?

wmgaretjax
02-09-2011, 07:30 PM
Black Narcissus for sure. The Red Shoes as well. Nowhere near as good as Peeping Tom, but great films. Both are on Criterion I believe. There are a whole slew of Powell and Pressburger films on Criterion.

TallGuyCM
02-09-2011, 08:26 PM
http://www.moviegoods.com/Assets/product_images/1020/188260.1020.A.jpg

Oh, hey, someone mentioned a movie and you posted the poster for it. Great contribution bro!

daxton
02-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Chris, are you having a bad day?

DANCE MAGIC
02-09-2011, 08:35 PM
Chris, are you having a bad day?

no, that dude is just a hater.

DANCE MAGIC
02-09-2011, 08:36 PM

i fucking love that movie

It's just stomping on your heart and losing everything.

That is a good way to describe it.

TallGuyCM
02-09-2011, 09:05 PM
no, that dude is just a hater.

I'm really not. I just have a low tolerance for stupid shit.

DANCE MAGIC
02-09-2011, 09:10 PM
so then one could say that you hate stupid shit?

TallGuyCM
02-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Ahem, you call me a "hater" and then go into the Strokes thread just to post this?

the strokes fucking suck.

:nono

DANCE MAGIC
02-09-2011, 09:24 PM
don't forget about this

hated it.
gaspar noe is fucking overrated.

i actually kinda like the strokes though. :winkiss

paulb
02-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Watched Rashomon last night.....SOOOOO good. So, how does Yojimbo and Sanjuro compare to it?

getbetter
02-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Oh, hey, someone mentioned a movie and you posted the poster for it. Great contribution bro!

In my defense u did repost the poster.

I think tallguy just see how much this thread turned to shit about the sci-fi garbage.

DANCE MAGIC
02-09-2011, 09:27 PM
I haven't seen Sanjuro, but Yojimbo is pretty awesome. I would also suggest Ran.

getbetter
02-09-2011, 09:29 PM
what did you guys think about sword of doom and shogun's samurai?

TallGuyCM
02-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Back on topic, my mom avoided seeing 127 Hours because she thought she'd be grossed out by the arm cutting off scene, but then watched a 2 hour Dateline special on Aron Ralston on Sunday night and is now chomping at the bit to see it, haha.

daxton
02-09-2011, 09:54 PM
I'm sort of accidentally watching the real story behind The Blind Side on TV right now and it reminded me touched I was by the movie. I'll probably get some shit for this, but whatever. I'm such a sucker for films about marginalized people overcoming adversity.

DANCE MAGIC
02-09-2011, 10:34 PM
what did you guys think about sword of doom and shogun's samurai?

sword of doom is one of my favorite movies.

getbetter
02-09-2011, 10:38 PM
It's another one of those movies if i had a lot of money i would remake and with this particular movie i would made it to what the director intended to do.Also for those who do not know this movie, it inspired a famous scarface scene.

DANCE MAGIC
02-09-2011, 10:43 PM
yeah, they actually intended for it to be a trilogy, but Okamoto never finished it and then he died. I heard once that his son was going to do a follow up or something, but I don't know if that is still something that is going to happen or not.

PotVsKtl
02-09-2011, 10:56 PM
I'm such a sucker for films about marginalized people overcoming adversity.

We gave blacks rights a long time ago.

getbetter
02-09-2011, 11:00 PM
I got idea what are some good yakuza movies? I haven't really watched too many of those.

PotVsKtl
02-09-2011, 11:02 PM
http://www.ryanlockhart.com/images/yakuzapapers.jpg

PotVsKtl
02-09-2011, 11:05 PM
http://www.asian-horror-movies.com/doa.jpg

KungFuJoe
02-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Oh man, Dead or Alive. I love the ending of that.

I'd also recommend Kitano's Sonatine & Brother, though possibly not the best examples of the genre.

BKsaysAction!
02-09-2011, 11:57 PM
Dead or Alive is ok but Deadly outlaw Rekka is way better.

amyzzz
02-10-2011, 08:35 AM

... What the fuck...

It's not a movie. It's just stomping on your heart and losing everything. I am no longer an American. I will be close to nobody. The pain is too real. Don't show this movie to your kids. They will grow up to be empty shells.
I agree that it is a very powerful movie.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-10-2011, 08:41 AM
UGH I HATE Dead Or Alive hahahaha

Check out Sydney Pollack's Yakuza
http://www.moviepostershop.com/the-yakuza-movie-poster-1020313039.jpg

schoolofruckus
02-10-2011, 08:55 AM
I'm sort of accidentally watching the real story behind The Blind Side on TV right now and it reminded me touched I was by the movie. I'll probably get some shit for this, but whatever. I'm such a sucker for films about marginalized people overcoming adversity.

When you say "on TV", you really mean "on The View", don't you?

DANCE MAGIC
02-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Dead or Alive is ok but Deadly outlaw Rekka is way better.

I like the Black Triad trilogy quite a bit. Shinjuku Triad Society, Rainy Dog and Ley Lines. (all of these movies are directed by Takashi Miike)

bobert
02-10-2011, 10:29 AM

I saw this interview with a very dismayed Michael Oher explaining, in as kind a way possible, that his rich, white foster-mother was not the one who taught him to play football. That scene where Sandra Bullock interrupts practice to tell Michael that he needs to protect the quarterback the way "he protects his family" and all of a sudden everything clicks for him and he's no longer a pussy and starts throwing lineman out of the back of the end zone. Great scene. "I guess they thought it would make a good story," was how the real Michael Oher described Hollywood's take on him overcoming adversity. But he's a millionaire now, so that's got to take some of the sting out of being exploited.

daxton
02-10-2011, 10:34 AM
I saw this interview with a very dismayed Michael Oher explaining, in as kind a way possible, that his rich, white foster-mother was not the one who taught him to play football. That scene where Sandra Bullock interrupts practice to tell Michael that he needs to protect the quarterback the way "he protects his family" and all of a sudden everything clicks for him and he's no longer a pussy and starts throwing lineman out of the back of the end zone. Great scene. "I guess they thought it would make a good story," was how the real Michael Oher described Hollywood's take on him overcoming adversity. But he's a millionaire now, so that's got to take some of the sting out of being exploited.

Yeah, there are parts of the story that definitely seem too good to be true. That doesn't surprise me at all. But, I don't think her not teaching him how to play football would really make a ton of difference in the story. It's just one scene.

wmgaretjax
02-10-2011, 10:50 AM
don't worry, you were duped along with numerous other deliriously sentimental individuals. hell... "awards" were given. in light of that, denial is as good of a strategy as any i guess...

bobert
02-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Yeah, there are parts of the story that definitely seem too good to be true. That doesn't surprise me at all. But, I don't think her not teaching him how to play football would really make a ton of difference in the story. It's just one scene.

It's not just one scene, though. It's the whole premise of the movie. It wasn't enough for the filmmakers to simply show the family giving Michael a nice loving home, they had to have a hand in every success this man ever enjoyed. The scene where Bullock is discussing Michael's abysmal test scores and notes that the one bright spot was a 98% in "protective instincts," and you can see the wheels turning in Sandra's head "left-tackle." They even had the 5 year old son teaching him plays using kitchen condiments for Christ-sake. It's a more subtle brand of racism than say, minstrel shows, but no less offensive if one is inclined to care about that sort of thing.

On a side note, back in school I always got terrible marks in Protective Instincts. That and Calculus. Hopefully my girl never finds out or she might not go out in public with me anymore.

schoolofruckus
02-10-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm sure that if I were to actually watch this movie, I would get an endless supply of comic material out of it. But even that isn't worth sitting through two hours of Magic Negro bullshit.

daxton
02-10-2011, 11:50 AM
don't worry, you were duped along with numerous other deliriously sentimental individuals. hell... "awards" were given. in light of that, denial is as good of a strategy as any i guess...

LOL. Guilty as charged. I certainly don't think it deserved any awards.

It's not just one scene, though. It's the whole premise of the movie. It wasn't enough for the filmmakers to simply show the family giving Michael a nice loving home, they had to have a hand in every success this man ever enjoyed. The scene where Bullock is discussing Michael's abysmal test scores and notes that the one bright spot was a 98% in "protective instincts," and you can see the wheels turning in Sandra's head "left-tackle." They even had the 5 year old son teaching him plays using kitchen condiments for Christ-sake. It's a more subtle brand of racism than say, minstrel shows, but no less offensive if one is inclined to care about that sort of thing.

I see your point. I guess what really happened wasn't enough to sell to the sentimentalists. True story aside, the movie was touching and that was my only initial point. It's really too bad they exploited the whole reason for the story.

jackstraw94086
02-10-2011, 01:16 PM
A Scanner Darkly's only significant fake-tech is the Scramble Suit. And that is primarily a bit of show; it has no real effect on the plot.

A lot of Dick's later writings are either not sci-fi at all or hardly sci-fi though they tend to get classified as such because that's where he got his start.

just a bit of show? srsly?
It's a piece of non-existant technology critical to the plot.

jackstraw94086
02-10-2011, 01:19 PM
We gave blacks rights a long time ago.

he's talking about stupids.

Down Rodeo
02-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Whoever said Rope was overrated a while back is terrible at judging movies. I finally watched it last night and it's damn amazing.

bobert
02-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much what I was talking about when I said that Alfred Hitchcock tried it and it didn't work.

Go watch Rope from 1948.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040746/

He actually went much further than Gaspar Noe and tried to present the film as if it were one continuous shot.

It's arguably Hitchcock's worst film.

You mean this guy? In fairness to Dance Magic, there is hand-held camera work in Rope.

PotVsKtl
02-10-2011, 03:21 PM
I don't think Rope is particularly rated at all. It's almost exclusively known for its technical content. I don't have a strong opinion one way or another about its narrative and can't recall ever reading or hearing anything contra that.

EDIT: Other than the above easily dismissable nonsense.

Mau5 Boyz
02-10-2011, 03:21 PM
wowz youz guyz arez creamz puffz sugarz bottomz whoz arez tooz sensitivez andz letz itz getz inz thez wayz ofz yourz filmz judgementz

Down Rodeo
02-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Whether it's hand-held or not, Hitchcock did it fluidly and with a formalism that's inventive and downright exhilarating to watch.

mountmccabe
02-10-2011, 03:46 PM
just a bit of show? srsly?
It's a piece of non-existant technology critical to the plot.

How is it critical to the plot? It is used during interactions at headquarters. It's not like a Scramble Suit is necessary for undercover cops. Those interactions still could've taken place anonymously, they just would've needed separate rooms and video with face-blurring. And, shit, Bob's boss knew who he was anyway. What about the plot needs the suits? They're an elegant shortcut.

mountmccabe
02-10-2011, 03:49 PM
I haven't seen and don't love that many Hitchcock films so take this as you will but Rope is my favorite.

Also I really need to see Enter the Void.

Also, obv Sokurov: Russian Ark was one continuous shot. With a huge cast. Hot damn I love that movie.

Also, obv terrible movie: wasn't Doom at least partially first-person? I mean, I guess the discussion here (a month ago) wasn't about first-person films as that isn't incredibly rare. I also need to see Doom but it does not rate a "hot damn."

DANCE MAGIC
02-10-2011, 04:03 PM
I don't think Rope is particularly rated at all. It's almost exclusively known for its technical content. I don't have a strong opinion one way or another about its narrative and can't recall ever reading or hearing anything contra that.

Not that I really want to get drawn back into this whole Rope thing, because honestly, I really don't give a shit, but...

Roger Ebert wrote in 1984, "Alfred Hitchcock called Rope an 'experiment that didn’t work out', and he was happy to see it kept out of release for most of three decades."

Also, Roger Ebert is a fucking retard, so, whatever.

PotVsKtl
02-10-2011, 04:09 PM
Also, obv terrible movie: wasn't Doom at least partially first-person? I mean, I guess the discussion here (a month ago) wasn't about first-person films as that isn't incredibly rare. I also need to see Doom but it does not rate a "hot damn."

My cousin directed the first-person portion of Doom. I'll be signing autographs in the Empress lobby.

chairmenmeow47
02-10-2011, 04:14 PM
god i'd almost forgotten how much a scanner darkly irritated me.

daxton
02-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Also I really need to see Enter the Void.

You, sir, are slackin'.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Anybody else here seen Breakfast On Pluto? I watched it the other night and was torn on it...During the first third or so I fell in love with Cillian Murphy's performance and the character, but wasn't particularly thrilled by the movie itself. i was offput by the overall style of it, the choppy narrative, and the weird talking birds, and the use of chapter breakups every 2 minutes. BUT by the end of the movie, i was enthralled and ultimately enjoyed, so i dunno. I guess i'd say it's just off balance but in the end well worth watching (which is kind of good way to describe most of Neil Jordan's career).

There are some great supporting roles in it, especially Liam Neeson and Stephen Rea, and I also really dug the use of Harry Nilsson music throughout the film.

chairmenmeow47
02-10-2011, 04:23 PM
it was weird, but i enjoyed it because i love cillian murphy so much and it was off the wall. i dunno that i'd watch it again though.

MissingPerson
02-10-2011, 04:28 PM

It does, but it's very brief. House of the Dead has chunks of the actual arcade game for absolutely no fucking reason at all, but then again that is Uwe Boll so reason of any kind is sort of out the window.

Also, I really really liked A Scanner Darkly.

motionnn77
02-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Cillian Murphy is just too pretty. I enjoyed the film and loved seeing Liam Neesan go beyond his usual roles. A fun romp, but not a masterpiece.

zircona1
02-11-2011, 06:45 AM
Anybody else here seen Breakfast On Pluto? I watched it the other night and was torn on it...During the first third or so I fell in love with Cillian Murphy's performance and the character, but wasn't particularly thrilled by the movie itself. i was offput by the overall style of it, the choppy narrative, and the weird talking birds, and the use of chapter breakups every 2 minutes. BUT by the end of the movie, i was enthralled and ultimately enjoyed, so i dunno. I guess i'd say it's just off balance but in the end well worth watching (which is kind of good way to describe most of Neil Jordan's career).

There are some great supporting roles in it, especially Liam Neeson and Stephen Rea, and I also really dug the use of Harry Nilsson music throughout the film.

I liked Cillian Murphy's performance and the music in it, but I ultimately didn't love it.

SoulDischarge
02-11-2011, 09:00 AM
I enjoy Rope immensely. Jimmy Stewart is usually a compelling presence on screen no matter what the circumstances, and that's no exception.

schoolofruckus
02-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Solyaris is coming to Criterion Blu-Ray in May!!!!!!

jackstraw94086
02-11-2011, 04:03 PM
How is it critical to the plot? It is used during interactions at headquarters. It's not like a Scramble Suit is necessary for undercover cops. Those interactions still could've taken place anonymously, they just would've needed separate rooms and video with face-blurring. HIDDEN. What about the plot needs the suits? They're an elegant shortcut.

That they were used hide their identities from each other was what made them important to the plot. That one of them actually knew who the other was when the other didn't know it was important to the story. It would have been a massive hassle to accomplish this another way, and it would have made for a shitty(ier) movie.

Down Rodeo
02-11-2011, 05:34 PM
Solyaris is coming to Criterion Blu-Ray in May!!!!!!

Hell yes! But dammit, now I wasted money on my DVD version.

wmgaretjax
02-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Harmony Korine called this the greatest dance film of all time:

EbJPTkOTXuM

not only are sonic youth on board... melvins and keiji haino have each done soundtracks for him (melvins have done 3!).

3Y__YfJW40I

daxton
02-11-2011, 11:56 PM
What in the hell is going on up there???

GeezrRckr
02-12-2011, 12:29 AM
they opened with the first two minutes or so of that when they played the GAMH in January. i was wondering what it was.

boxofbox
02-12-2011, 07:43 AM
Harmony Korine called this the greatest dance film of all time

"seriously. it's better than the red shoes."

boxofbox
02-12-2011, 10:46 AM
Paul Thomas Anderson’s Scientology Movie and Inherent Vice Adaptation Close to Finding Financing (http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/02/paul_thomas_anderson.html)

I had no idea PTA was doing Pynchon!!

wmgaretjax
02-12-2011, 11:07 AM
yeah. i really hope in pans out. i'm sure it will. both his current projects sound great.

schoolofruckus
02-12-2011, 11:19 AM
I gotta meet this Megan Ellison person.

TallGuyCM
02-12-2011, 01:53 PM
So I'd like to watch something (preferably of substance) tonight while having a few drinks, that's available on Netflix Instant. I usually don't drink at all during movies, a lot of times it fogs the memory the next day when I try to remember what happened. So I guess what I'm looking for is something meaningful that's not too complex.

Any recommendations, folks?

wmgaretjax
02-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Have you seen Being John Malkovich? That'd be a good drinking movie.

TallGuyCM
02-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Yeah, I've seen that. I wish one of Korine's flicks was on Instant, I've never seen any of them (eh, Kids, but he only wrote that one, right?). Seems like his stuff would be perfect with a few Jack and Cokes.

buddy
02-12-2011, 03:01 PM
how about some rock documentaries? (http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45095)

or, not sure if you're a woody allen fan, but some of his best work is on instant hannah and her sisters (http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/Hannah-and-Her-Sisters/60010420?trkid=1660#height1645) and crime and misdemeanors (http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/Crimes-and-Misdemeanors/406734?trkid=1660#height2298). not sure if they make great drinking movies, but they have some depth and laughs, as well.

TallGuyCM
02-12-2011, 03:46 PM
I am a Woody Allen fan, went through a little phase where I watched a bunch of his stuff like 8 years ago. Haven't seen either one of those, thanks.

But after the An Education derailing in the Arcade Fire thread, I think we have a winner.

MissingPerson
02-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Snicker.

DANCE MAGIC
02-12-2011, 04:03 PM
Yeah, I've seen that. I wish one of Korine's flicks was on Instant, I've never seen any of them (eh, Kids, but he only wrote that one, right?).

Mister Lonely is worth watching.

I am a Woody Allen fan

high five.

schoolofruckus
02-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Whoa - I never thought about it but An Education would make a good drinking movie, although it would be infinitely better with a group of hyennas like me. I wonder if that's how the press screenings were conducted.

TallGuyCM
02-12-2011, 04:43 PM
You and your hyenas are welcome to come over, as long as you clean up after them.

Alchemy
02-12-2011, 05:42 PM
I hadn't seen The Birds since I was small. I just watched it for what felt like the first time. Brilliant!

TallGuyCM
02-12-2011, 09:34 PM
So yeah, An Education. I didn't loathe it as much as some. Yeah, the ending was like the director was only given an 100-minute maximum length for the movie and shamelessly pushed fast-forward and then the credits rolled. Even the credits rolling seemed more rushed than usual, like when Road Trip ends at 2 in the morning on TBS and they fast-forward the credits while showing you a preview of what's coming up next.

But overall, it wasn't that bad. Sure, the message it sends isn't the greatest. But I don't think that was the point of it all.

Now, more drinks and on to Trash Humpers.

wmgaretjax
02-12-2011, 09:46 PM
hahahaha. awesome. Trash Humpers is wonderful. what a brilliant double feature.

TallGuyCM
02-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Fuck yeah. Trash Humpers has to be the most polarizing film I've heard of in recent memory, and I couldn't be more intrigued.

GeezrRckr
02-12-2011, 10:42 PM
i liked Trash Humpers slightly less than Dogtooth. there is zero redeeming in that piece of shit. absolutely nothing.

now, get off my fucking lawn, once and for all.

wmgaretjax
02-12-2011, 10:45 PM
well... there was at least something redeeming about it... it kept you from bitching about dogtooth for 80 minutes. haha.

GeezrRckr
02-12-2011, 10:57 PM
haha.

oh no...just saw that they remade one of my most favorite comedies of all time, Arthur. they had to pour salt in the wound by casting that unfunny dipshit that's fucking Katy Perry's big boobies. this will most surely be horrible.

please be sure to see the original first. please.

wmgaretjax
02-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Speaking of Trash Humpers... I was pretty shocked by the (almost across the 4th wall) monologue towards the end.... It was at severe odds with the rest of the film. While most of the film felt like exactly what I expected (pseudo-art house korine version of Jackass)... there were a few moments that genuinely surprised me. culminating in this bit:

"I guess you could call it one long, long game. And I expect we'll win it. I expect that all these people will be dead and buried long, long before I even catch my second wind. I feel like a young boy. I feel like a new man."

While it was undoubtedly inferior to his first two films... I can't help but be happier with this than Mister Lonely... That film felt so limp. I'd love to see Korine take on something really narrative and traditional... but he failed pretty miserably on that one. Maybe it came from the recent detox or the studio conflicts or whatever, but at least this one felt genuine in at least a few places. Sure, the counter-culture thing is a bit absurd in this day and age, but at least Korine seems aware of this and its place in his work... compared to... I dunno... Banksy. (ok, that's unfair. banksy does seem to realize this, he just is completely unable to integrate it into his work without recalling the tired art-cum-capitalism schtick... not that korine is without schtick...)

/ramble

TallGuyCM
02-13-2011, 01:07 AM
Yeah, the art house/Jackass mesh was the vibe I got the whole time. I was almost expecting to see Johnny Knoxville in the credits at the end, what with it all taking place in Nashville and what not.

I didn't really care for the film, but damn was it massively entertaining in my drunken state. I'll give it that.

paulb
02-13-2011, 01:19 AM
About to start Carne.

schoolofruckus
02-13-2011, 10:43 AM
haha.

oh no...just saw that they remade one of my most favorite comedies of all time, Arthur. they had to pour salt in the wound by casting that unfunny dipshit that's fucking Katy Perry's big boobies. this will most surely be horrible.

please be sure to see the original first. please.

Not first - only. Arthur is an awesome movie, and the remake looks abhorrent. I'm pretty sure I'd skip PTA's next film if Russell Brand were in it.

wmgaretjax
02-13-2011, 11:14 AM
no you wouldn't, shut up.

GeezrRckr
02-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Not first - only. Arthur is an awesome movie, and the remake looks abhorrent. I'm pretty sure I'd skip PTA's next film if Russell Brand were in it.
it appears we have a first here. stop the presses.

(haha)

schoolofruckus
02-13-2011, 12:38 PM
no you wouldn't, shut up.

Suppose he casts Jamie Foxx someday...are we still having this discussion?

schoolofruckus
02-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Attention Los Angeles (namely TallChris):

Cassavetes program at the Cinefamily (Silent Theatre) throughout March (http://www.cinefamily.org/calendar/friday_early.html#shadows)

SoulDischarge
02-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Suppose he casts Adam Sandler one day?

wmgaretjax
02-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Suppose he casts Jamie Foxx someday...are we still having this discussion?

until there is some concrete evidence that PTA is in decline (at least two really shitty films), neither you or I are going to refrain from watching one of his films.

schoolofruckus
02-13-2011, 01:11 PM
Yeah...it would probably take more than that, even.

wmgaretjax
02-13-2011, 01:17 PM
yeah, haha... probably.

TallGuyCM
02-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Attention Los Angeles (namely TallChris):

Cassavetes program at the Cinefamily (Silent Theatre) throughout March (http://www.cinefamily.org/calendar/friday_early.html#shadows)

Oh my goodness...there's a ton of stuff on there! I'm gonna need some help navigating the whole thing, picking and choosing which nights I should go.

If I'm gonna go all the way up there, I'm inclined to want to go to the nights that feature two films. So the 11th, 18th, and 19th look like winners at first glance.

schoolofruckus
02-13-2011, 01:43 PM
I'm going on the 11th for sure, having not seen Too Late Blues before. I probably will also hit Chinese Bookie, especially if Gazzara is actually in attendance. You absolutely need to go for A Woman Under the Influence and Love Streams.

TallGuyCM
02-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Yes, AWUTI is the one I'd pick if I could only do one. Thanks! March just went from looking kind of bleak to not at all.

wmgaretjax
02-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Yes, AWUTI is the one I'd pick if I could only do one.

Definitely!

KungFuJoe
02-13-2011, 07:48 PM
http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/02/efm-2011-first-promo-for-von-triers-melancholia-is-gorgeous.php

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Just saw The Crying Game for the first time...thought it was pretty brilliant.

schoolofruckus
02-13-2011, 11:36 PM
http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/02/efm-2011-first-promo-for-von-triers-melancholia-is-gorgeous.php

I'm thrilled that it was picked up for US release already. Seemed like it would certainly get released after Antichrist was probably seen by more people here than all of his previous work combined, but you never know.

daxton
02-14-2011, 12:03 AM
Could you guys give me some Woody Allen suggestions? I've never really seen a lot of his films and have been meaning to catch up for a while now. I saw there are a few on instant, but what are your favorites?

clumsy342
02-14-2011, 12:05 AM
thats funny, i just watched Hannah and Her Sisters tonight.. but I've got to say it was definitely not my favorite of his.

But my favorites are of course Annie Hall, What's Up Tiger Lily?, Bananas, Sleeper, Stardust Memories, Everything You Wanted to Know..

guedita
02-14-2011, 12:09 AM
Husbands and Wives and Mighty Aphrodite are two of my favorite Woody Allen movies. I don't know why.

daxton
02-14-2011, 12:14 AM
I have seen exactly none of those, so, thanks.

wmgaretjax
02-14-2011, 08:06 AM
Deconstructing Harry is one of my favorites.

GeezrRckr
02-14-2011, 08:07 AM
^yes!

bobert
02-14-2011, 08:15 AM
Sweet and Lowdown!! One of Sean Penn's greatest roles, easily one of my favorite Allen films.

schoolofruckus
02-14-2011, 09:10 AM
WOW

http://criterion-production.s3.amazonaws.com/release_images/3259/164_BD_box_348x490.jpg

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Adding to the growing list of Woody Allen movies already posted here, I adore Bullets Over Broadway.

I counted this morning and I've seen 25 Allen films...and still have quite a ways to go. The man is prolific.

Still-ill
02-14-2011, 09:24 AM
WOW

http://criterion-production.s3.amazonaws.com/release_images/3259/164_BD_box_348x490.jpg

BOOM.

higgybaby23
02-14-2011, 09:39 AM
Adding to the growing list of Woody Allen movies already posted here, I adore Bullets Over Broadway.

Don't speak!

I recommend Radio Days, avoid Curse of the Jade Scorpion.

Unrelated movie topic: I saw The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest last night. It was my least favorite of the trilogy, but still entertaining. Too much exposition, not enough clever plot twists. The other two movies kept me guessing, while this one didn't surprise me at all.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Aw yeah, Radio Days is so great!

daxton
02-14-2011, 10:51 AM
I knew there were a lot, but WOW. Thanks again guys. I think that'll hold me for the next year.

wmgaretjax
02-14-2011, 10:57 AM
No one has mentioned Crimes and Misdemeanors!??! fuck! add that one to the list for sure!

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-14-2011, 10:59 AM
No one has mentioned Crimes and Misdemeanors!??! fuck! add that one to the list for sure!

Oh, I thought that had been added. I would say that Crimes and Misdemeanors and Hannah & Her Sisters could arguably be his best films, almost equals

Down Rodeo
02-14-2011, 11:45 AM
With Woody Allen, it's all about Manhattan. Crimes & Misdemeanors is an excellent choice too.

DANCE MAGIC
02-14-2011, 11:47 AM
You guys are crazy. Manhattan and Crimes and Misdemeanors are both excellent films... but it's all about Annie Hall. Sorry if that's the cliche choice, but that's pretty much just how it is.

DANCE MAGIC
02-14-2011, 11:48 AM
Bananas is also great, and so is Small Time Crooks. No one has mentioned that one, but it's great.

jackstraw94086
02-14-2011, 12:15 PM
Sleeper ftw.

GeezrRckr
02-14-2011, 12:28 PM
right! orgasmatron ftw.

http://davidszondy.com/future/Dystopias/orgasmatron.jpg

BlackSwan
02-14-2011, 12:48 PM
I watched Social Network this weekend... It would pretty good, but I'm surprised it is a contender for best picture of the year. I thought I would like it more since David Fincher is one of my favorite directors, but it was pretty much what I expected it was going to be. Awesome soundtrack.

I also watched Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, and holy shit, THAT was an awesome movie. Seriously one of the better movies I have seen in while... Highly recommended.

roberto73
02-14-2011, 12:58 PM
With Woody Allen, it's all about Manhattan. Crimes & Misdemeanors is an excellent choice too.

Manhattan is my favorite movie, not just of Woody Allen, but of ever. The photography, the score, the moral ambiguity of it all. Terrific stuff. I think it has the most emotional truth of any of his movies, with maybe the exception of Husbands & Wives.

Yesterday I watched Cemetery Junction. It's a pleasant little coming of age flick written and directed by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant. I'm not aware that it ever got a theatrical release in this country, but it's worth a look, especially if you're a Gervais/Merchant fan. Set in 1973, it doesn't break the ground that The Office and Extras did – in fact, as movie plots go, it's pretty clichéd, mining the old "local boy wants to break free of the hometown chains that bind him" furrow – but it's got the sly, subversive wit that you expect from Gervais and Merchant, a vibrant soundtrack, and three pretty good young nobodies in the main roles. And Ralph Fiennes, who has never been bad in anything, ever.

daxton
02-14-2011, 03:33 PM
Oh, guys, I am so excited to watch Vertigo tonight. It's been on my list for such a long time.

amyzzz
02-14-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm excited for you. Love that movie.

schoolofruckus
02-14-2011, 04:36 PM
M'eh. It's good and definitely worth watching....but I think it's a mistake to expect your world to be ripped open.

yeahfontaine
02-14-2011, 04:43 PM
M'eh. It's good and definitely worth watching....but I think it's a mistake to expect your world to be ripped open.

You think? The use of color alone is so intriguing. And the twisted psychological shit is fascinating.

I'm teaching it next week after a quick foray down Sunset Blvd. I love to watch kids react when Max turns out to be Norma's ex-husband. So great to watch them get all wrapped up in the film and freak out at that moment. They always yell so I have to warn the math teacher next door ahead of time. Ha. It's fun.

wmgaretjax
02-14-2011, 04:59 PM
oh, that reminds me! my wife has never seen Sunset Blvd. Gonna watch it tonight.

Ardentbiscuit
02-14-2011, 05:29 PM
Has anyone seen or heard any positive or negative buzz about the movie "Young Adult"?

schoolofruckus
02-14-2011, 05:33 PM
You think? The use of color alone is so intriguing. And the twisted psychological shit is fascinating.

There's a great deal of intriguing material in Vertigo, but some of the writing is beyond awful. That first scene with Scottie and Midge is painful with on-the-nose exposition. But it definitely improves as it proceeds, and the ending is terrific.

daxton
02-14-2011, 05:37 PM

I'm not expecting that. I'm just excited. And I have ice cream. Don't tell the people in the Fitchella thread.

buddy
02-14-2011, 05:46 PM
Oh, I thought that had been added. I would say that Crimes and Misdemeanors and Hannah & Her Sisters could arguably be his best films, almost equals

these are the two i recommended to tallchris a page or two back. they're both on netflix instant.

edit: hannah is probably my favorite, but i do love sweet & lowdown, for sean penn's performance.

ivankay
02-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Darren Aronofsky's Wild Ride (http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/tb/tb110214darren_aronofskys_wi). Talking about the struggles financing his films, The Fountain (for you Gabe) and the upcoming X-Men movie.

daxton
02-14-2011, 07:48 PM
....OK. I don't like Vertigo very much. But the ice cream was delicious. I wish the lead actors were different. That would have made a big difference for me.

bmack86
02-14-2011, 08:15 PM
Just watched Les aventures extraordinaires d'Adèle Blanc-Sec, Luc Besson's adventure film from last year. I'm not sure if it was intended for a young audience (especially with the death and nudity and pretty adult themes at times) but it was made like a very entertaining children's film. There was some decent base humor, as well as a more emotional undercurrent that builds throughout. It wasn't great, but it was quite a bit of fun, and I wasn't bored at all.

clumsy342
02-14-2011, 08:20 PM
....OK. I don't like Vertigo very much. But the ice cream was delicious. I wish the lead actors were different. That would have made a big difference for me.

???

You do mean Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo, right?

paulb
02-14-2011, 08:23 PM
So, just watched Carne and I Stand Alone....both really excellent! Loved the editing and character of The Butcher so much, any other similar film recommendation?

daxton
02-14-2011, 08:32 PM
???

You do mean Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo, right?

Yes. I expected to really like it, but it kinda bored me. It's not that I don't like older movies. I just thought it would be as good as Notorious. I don't like Jimmy Stewart. Carey Grant or Bogart would have been nice. And Kim Novak is no Ingrid.

TallGuyCM
02-14-2011, 08:47 PM
So, just watched Carne and I Stand Alone....both really excellent! Loved the editing and character of The Butcher so much, any other similar film recommendation?

Hahaha, good luck with that one. I'd crack up if someone chimed in with a "if you liked I Stand Alone, then you'll love _______"

wmgaretjax
02-14-2011, 08:51 PM
If you liked I Stand Alone, then you'll love Man Bites Dog and Angst.

TallGuyCM
02-14-2011, 09:18 PM
LOL. Right on cue.

SoulDischarge
02-14-2011, 09:22 PM
Small Time Crooks is not a very good movie at all. Although I do love the joke about the wife trying to be more sophisticated so she starts learning the dictionary starting with A.

SoulDischarge
02-14-2011, 09:22 PM
If you liked I Stand Alone, then you'll love Man Bites Dog and Angst.

I love Man Bites Dog but haven't heard of the other too. I assume this works the other way around.

wmgaretjax
02-14-2011, 09:26 PM
definitely works the other way around. Noe has cited Angst as a huge influence on his work... particularly I Stand Alone.

paulb
02-14-2011, 09:26 PM
Im downloading Angst now....

buddy
02-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Small Time Crooks is not a very good movie at all. Although I do love the joke about the wife trying to be more sophisticated so she starts learning the dictionary starting with A.

i actually like this movie. i think it has its moments (the relationship between woody allen and tracey ullman's character, the may character, some funny one-liners) but you're right it's far from great.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-15-2011, 08:32 AM
Just watched Les aventures extraordinaires d'Adèle Blanc-Sec, Luc Besson's adventure film from last year. I'm not sure if it was intended for a young audience (especially with the death and nudity and pretty adult themes at times) but it was made like a very entertaining children's film. There was some decent base humor, as well as a more emotional undercurrent that builds throughout. It wasn't great, but it was quite a bit of fun, and I wasn't bored at all.

OH I was watching The Transporter on Sunday afternoon and was thinking to myself, "Oh, I wonder when Luc besson's movie base don that French comic book is going to come out?"

How did you watch it?

EDIT: Also, i was thinking amazing it is that when Besson directs, he creates such distinct wolrds and situations very much unlike other action films, but he seems to love writing and producing extremely schlocky, almost video-game like ridiculous braindead action movies. The amount of movies that guys has been involved with outside of his own directing is staggering.

wmgaretjax
02-15-2011, 08:36 AM
hulu plus just added 150 criterion films... they are expecting to have 800 of their "library" added to hulu "soon."

zircona1
02-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Speaking of Criterion, SO psyched that Diabolique is coming out in a new edition in May. I love that film and have held off on buying it until it gets restored with some supplements like they did with The Wages of Fear.

malcolmjamalawesome
02-15-2011, 09:35 AM
I want a Spider Man movie based on the Torment arc. Thank you.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-15-2011, 09:40 AM
I want a Spider Man movie based on the Torment arc. Thank you.

If they could do do the lizard right, this would be awesome. i've also always t6hought a Batman movie similarly featuring him hunting down Killer Croc through the sewers would make an awesome movie as well

PotVsKtl
02-15-2011, 09:51 AM
Bipedal anthropomorphized reptiles are not menacing.

mountmccabe
02-15-2011, 08:09 PM
EDIT: Also, i was thinking amazing it is that when Besson directs, he creates such distinct wolrds and situations very much unlike other action films, but he seems to love writing and producing extremely schlocky, almost video-game like ridiculous braindead action movies.

I agree completely. I am not sure if it is that only he knows how to direct his scripts right or if he directs his best scripts and passes off the more trashy ones.

I still need to watch The Big Blue, available on Netflix Instant. That is the only of his 7 films (that he directed) that I haven't seen. I haven seen any of the four since then, though I want to see Angel-A and the one Bryan just saw.

paulb
02-15-2011, 09:17 PM
Watched Angst last night, VERY clear that Noe was inspired by it, the narration of the character and not much dialogue....did not like it as much as I Stand Alone.

Are any other of Noe's shorts great like Carne?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-15-2011, 11:55 PM
I agree completely. I am not sure if it is that only he knows how to direct his scripts right or if he directs his best scripts and passes off the more trashy ones.

I still need to watch The Big Blue, available on Netflix Instant. That is the only of his 7 films (that he directed) that I haven't seen. I haven seen any of the four since then, though I want to see Angel-A and the one Bryan just saw.

I absolutely fucking LOVE The Big Blue. It's one of the most beatifully shot moves I've ever seen, and it's incredibly bizarre in its character motivations. it's probably got my favorite Eric Serra score as well (with Leon being a close second). It also contains the most enduring and watchable role by Rosanna Arquette ever, I think.

I haven't seen or had a desire to see any of the Arthur movies, but I would highly recommend Angel-A.

I just rewatched Beat Takeshi's Brother for the first time since its theatrical release in 2000 and enjoyed it very, very much. I think Zack brought up Yakuza movies a little while ago, and I would definitely recommend this as an unconventional one
http://www.aullidos.com/imagenes/caratulas/brother-.jpg

I really need to check out some of his other movies now (I just put The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi at the top of my queue). Unfortunately, at least half of his movies aren't on Netflix

KungFuJoe
02-16-2011, 12:33 AM
I second the Le Grand Bleu love. One of my all time favorite films. I'd encourage finding the directors cut as well. Simply a beautiful, fun & touching film.

I'm a huge Besson fan, even the "extremely schlocky, almost video-game like ridiculous braindead action movies" he writes/produces. You have to hand it to the man. He knows how to make a buck and produce an entertaining flick. The first Transporter, Taken, Wasabi, & District B13 all good times in my book. I even enjoyed Taxi 1 & 2, but still need to see 3 & 4. I liked Angel-A a great deal and even found the first Arthur movie to be fun for a kids flick. I just downloaded The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec, so I look forward to watching that one soon.

Takeshi's Brother is great. I too had suggested that when Yakuza movies was brought up. Which reminds me I need to get his new film Outrage on dvd. Anyone see that yet?

Also, more people need to see this ...
http://www.moviegoods.com//Assets/product_images/1020/449098.1020.A.jpg

Grandma
02-16-2011, 06:14 AM
I only got to watch the first hour and a half of Vengeance Is Mine before huluplus decided to cock block me with a registration fee...

bmack86
02-16-2011, 09:42 AM
How was it? I haven't watched that yet, and I own it.

Andrew, my roommate got a digital copy of it that we watched. If I can find where he stored it, I can get it to you. It's damn good quality and, despite some typos, the subtitles seemed to be very accurate translations.

daxton
02-16-2011, 09:56 AM
Hannah and Her Sisters was completely fantastic. Can't wait to get my hands on some more Woody Allen films.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-16-2011, 10:57 AM
I'm a huge Besson fan, even the "extremely schlocky, almost video-game like ridiculous braindead action movies" he writes/produces. You have to hand it to the man. He knows how to make a buck and produce an entertaining flick. The first Transporter, Taken, Wasabi, & District B13 all good times in my book. I even enjoyed Taxi 1 & 2, but still need to see 3 & 4. I liked Angel-A a great deal and even found the first Arthur movie to be fun for a kids flick. I just downloaded The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec, so I look forward to watching that one soon.

Yeah, I really do enjoy a lot of his written flicks too, because they're a lot of fun. I still need to check out the Taxi movies. Wasabi was great, and District B-13 was mind-numbingly fun ( i have heard the sequel was terrible though). Although ridiculous, i do also enjoy the Crimson Rivers movies, especially the first, and LOVE Danny The Dog. I need to see Taken still, and have heard that Banididas is fun.

I have the two Transporter sequels coming from Netflix today, and i look forward to shutting the brain off and going on that ride tonight.

Andrew, my roommate got a digital copy of it that we watched. If I can find where he stored it, I can get it to you. It's damn good quality and, despite some typos, the subtitles seemed to be very accurate translations.

Right on! i suppose i can try to download it too...I hope there's a decent US DVD/blu ray release eventually.

This Besson discussion reminds me I need to see Subway finally as well, which available on Instant now.

Alchemy
02-16-2011, 07:43 PM
I just watched Psycho for the first time...

And it scared the shit out of me.

PotVsKtl
02-16-2011, 07:57 PM
I still need to watch The Big Blue, available on Netflix Instant.

It's a trodge. Really disappointing.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-16-2011, 08:04 PM
I'm...not really sure what to say about this. it seriously looks like one of those parody trailers. I'm seriously fucking confused about the fact that this is actually coming out as a real movie.
6W07bFa4TzM

daxton
02-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Looks real to me. I can't believe anyone would even attempt to make a movie based on that book. God I'm so disgusted.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-16-2011, 08:10 PM
Looks real to me. I can't believe anyone would even attempt to make a movie based on that book. God I'm so disgusted.

Well, I mean, it's obviously real. I mean that it looks ridiculous enough that it could be one of those parody trailers.

daxton
02-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Ok. Well, it doesn't look ridiculous to me. It just looks like garbage.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-16-2011, 08:15 PM
Setting it in the present, those crazy cuts, huge action movie music, making it seem like some thriller ABOUT the railroad industry, and of course, "THEY ARE NOT GETTING MY METAL!"

...a bit ridiculous hahaha