PDA

View Full Version : Schoolio's Movie Corner

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124

wmgaretjax
12-11-2010, 11:27 AM
I know right? my wife surprised me last night and took me to see it. i had reasonably low expectations given the comments in this thread, but we both walked away having really enjoyed it.

Somewhat Damaged
12-11-2010, 11:41 AM
I really enjoyed Black Swan. I used to have a big crush on Natalie Portman but her performance was still a revelation. The sound design was ridiculous and I thought the special effects were used subtly and to good effect. I've liked Darren Aronofsky ever since I saw Requiem for a Dream in theaters and think this is his best so far, which is high praise considering the strength of his filmography. It isn't often that I want to see a film multiple times at all, much less in a theater, but I felt so galvanized last night that I need to see it on the big screen again soon.

wmgaretjax
12-11-2010, 11:44 AM
the film actually diminished any crush i had on natalie portman. the emaciated pre-pubescent thing kinda got under my skin.

Somewhat Damaged
12-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Agreed for the most part. I don't still harbor a crush on her, got over that a decade ago.

Did Black Swan remind anyone else of Polanski's Repulsion?

wmgaretjax
12-11-2010, 12:10 PM
not so much, but it reminded me a lot of Bergman's Persona.

chiapet
12-11-2010, 12:29 PM
the film actually diminished any crush i had on natalie portman. the emaciated pre-pubescent thing kinda got under my skin.

Yea her ribs in you know which scene kind of freaked me out, especially when she arches her back she's so bony that it's kind of gross. Mila actually didn't look so bad slim, though.

I hope I didn't imply it was a bad movie, it just did not at all live up to the hype I was hearing, and I also feel like the way it was marketed in the trailers was a bit odd compared to the actual movie.

liquidsnake28
12-11-2010, 01:55 PM
I love most black comedies but I hate Robin Williams. Is Death to Smoochy worth watching?

schoolofruckus
12-11-2010, 02:01 PM
I love Death to Smoochy. Then again, I also loved World's Greatest Dad, so what do I know?

liquidsnake28
12-11-2010, 02:04 PM
So far it seems like it's the story of Krusty the Clown told through the eyes of Danny Devito. I see some potential.

wmgaretjax
12-11-2010, 02:06 PM
that's pretty much exactly it. it's not a very good movie as a whole. but there are some really really funny bits.

liquidsnake28
12-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Chop Shop is really fucking good. At very first it seems like they're trying to make it a documentary, then you immediately realize it's fiction yet it still seems really pretentious for about 20 minutes or so and then you eventually just go with it and it's a great experience. Highly recommended.

liquidsnake28
12-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Holy Fucking Hell, no film has gripped me emotionally like that since There Will Be Blood. I almost cried twice. This flick is the Real Deal Holyfield.

sbessiso
12-11-2010, 10:54 PM
that's pretty much exactly it. it's not a very good movie as a whole. but there are some really really funny bits.

agreed. i think it gets a little better each time too and robin williams really is something else in it.

liquidsnake28
12-11-2010, 11:06 PM
As far as Death to Smoochy, yeah I stopped watching. I didn't know Ed Norton and Catherine Keener were in it. They're great actors, and (like I said) I really hate Robin Williams so I don't want to associate them with him.

I know it's a couple years old so some of you have already seen it but for the rest, Chop Shop is really gut wrenchingly gritty and powerful. Everyone should see it.

schoolofruckus
12-12-2010, 07:50 AM
I liked Chop Shop as well.

True Grit was pretty sweet. It's definitely a Coen Bros. popcorn film, with nowhere near the thematic heft of their previous three (and yes, Burn After Reading is in that group). But the Coens' trademark love of language translates here to a world oozing with colorful, imaginative conversation, and for me, it was pure pleasure. The acting is solid across the board, Deakins does the damn thang, etc. On the heels of a trilogy about why the world is awful (and why we're powerless to fight it), I'm totally okay with the boys making something for fun.

liquidsnake28
12-12-2010, 07:59 AM
I'm looking forward to it.

Fargo, Lewbowski, No Country, (everything lesser) regardless, I look forward to everything they do.

mountmccabe
12-12-2010, 08:05 AM
I am seeing True Grit on Tuesday.

And I rather loved Black Swan. I agree with the folks saying that it is presented like a ballet and that this is an awesome thing. Yeah, it was overwrought but that's how that rolls. I would argue, though, that it isn't so overwrought as to be entirely fantasy. And I certainly identified with or rooted for or felt pity for Portman's character at points, just wishing she could escape from all the suffocating. It was tense and uncomfortable; impressively so.

liquidsnake28
12-12-2010, 08:14 AM
I can't wait to see Black Swan and I Love You Phillip Morris.

bmack86
12-12-2010, 09:44 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d8/Coen_Brothers_-_Movies_1984-2009.jpg/799px-Coen_Brothers_-_Movies_1984-2009.jpg

AlecEiffel
12-12-2010, 10:12 AM
It might just be that I find stereotypical southern gentlemen really funny, but I think that the Ladykillers is really under rated.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-12-2010, 10:38 AM
I can't believe The Hudsucker Proxy is rated so low. That is totally on of my favorites by them. I love it.

Also

I love Death to Smoochy. Then again, I also loved World's Greatest Dad, so what do I know?

I guess I need to see Death To SMoochy. I also loved the hell out of World's Greatest Dad.

bmack86
12-12-2010, 10:40 AM
I watched Death to Smoochy last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. It's weird and goofy and kind of formulaic in a sense, but Robin Williams does a pretty kickass job. It reminded me quite a bit of The Hudsucker Proxy.

Gribbz
12-12-2010, 11:37 AM
but I think that the Ladykillers is really under rated.

Agreed. I was rather baffled by the hate.

daxton
12-12-2010, 01:49 PM
I can't believe The Hudsucker Proxy is rated so low. That is totally on of my favorites by them. I love it.
[/I].

That was filmed in my town! I guess that's not very exciting to people who live in L.A. I liked the movie a lot and didn't realize it was a Cohen Bros.

Watched the Joaquin Phoenix "documentary" last night. It was kinda wack, except for the parts where he raps in public and I was uncontrollably embarrassed for him... That shit was wretched. Haha.

Down Rodeo
12-12-2010, 09:15 PM
I know it's a couple years old so some of you have already seen it but for the rest, Chop Shop is really gut wrenchingly gritty and powerful. Everyone should see it.

Yep, I thought Chop Shop was great as well. It made my best of the decade list.

You should all see Bahrani's most recent film, Goodbye Solo, if you haven't already. Awesome as well.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-13-2010, 09:23 AM
Watched 28 Weeks later last night. It started out very intense and I love the overall look of it, but ultimately it's a fairly terrible movie, and the more I think about it, the more I hate it. I had no idea Jeremy Renner was in it though and it was nice to see him. I also very much enjoyed Imogen Poots, who i look forward to seeing more of. Robert Carlyle and the bulk of the rest of the cast seemed to be sleeping through their parts though.

schoolofruckus
12-13-2010, 09:30 AM
I saw Solyaris at the New Beverly last night. That makes the fifth Tarkovsky I've seen on a big screen this year, and the fifth to absolutely floor me. I'd seen it once about a year and a half ago, but like all of his work, it was quite a bit more impressive the second time around.

mountmccabe
12-13-2010, 09:38 AM
How long of a nap did you get during the screening?

chairmenmeow47
12-13-2010, 09:44 AM
DON'T FORGET THE BLUE LETTER OR THEY'LL DOCK YOU!

wmgaretjax
12-13-2010, 09:46 AM
How long of a nap did you get during the screening?

boooooooo

PotVsKtl
12-13-2010, 09:49 AM
Pretty sure that's a dig at Gabriel as opposed to the film itself. This dude's spent more time sleeping in films than John Giorno.

wmgaretjax
12-13-2010, 09:50 AM
than John Giorno.

Wow. Well done.

MissingPerson
12-13-2010, 09:56 AM
Watched 28 Weeks later last night. It started out very intense and I love the overall look of it, but ultimately it's a fairly terrible movie, and the more I think about it, the more I hate it. I had no idea Jeremy Renner was in it though and it was nice to see him. I also very much enjoyed Imogen Poots, who i look forward to seeing more of. Robert Carlyle and the bulk of the rest of the cast seemed to be sleeping through their parts though.

I liked it well enough while I was watching it, but I don't think I ever need to see it again. Then again, even though I kind of preferred 28 Days Later to it, I sort of feel the same way about it, too.

I felt like the whole thing with the US military was intended to make some kind of point, and they couldn't decide exactly what and then oh shit they've already made the film. There were a load of stupid plot things too - like bunching everybody together or even bringing them home again in the first place - that even as I was watching it I didn't quite buy.

I did really love the start of it though. The end in France was a nice touch too.

schoolofruckus
12-13-2010, 10:19 AM
Pretty sure that's a dig at Gabriel as opposed to the film itself. This dude's spent more time sleeping in films than John Giorno.

Fuck's sake. I haven't fallen asleep in a film in a long, long time. And I don't think I've ever fallen asleep during a Tarkovsky.

sonofhal
12-13-2010, 11:17 AM
m6w0r-ScEG4

caco0283
12-13-2010, 11:51 AM
The black list is out http://blcklst.com/

i've read quite a few on the list but my favorites are "College Republicans" by Wes Jones, "999" by Matt Cook and Dante Harper's "All You Need is Kill." "Are We Officially Dating Yet" by Tom Gormican is close to something I've been trying to write for quite some time now and have to restructure my script cos its too close to this one.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-13-2010, 02:24 PM
It just occurred to me that there may be people here who are both not aware of and would immensely enjoy Scott C's "Great Showdowns."
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ld2ga60N9R1qay9wgo1_400.jpg
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lbyk08v0yP1qay9wgo1_r1_400.jpg
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lbqasmVbY51qay9wgo1_400.jpg
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lbdcxbcaaB1qay9wgo1_400.jpg
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lahvlsK9Lj1qay9wgo1_r1_400.jpg

There are TONS of these on the site and they're all brilliant. it gets updated fairly often too.
http://greatshowdowns.com/

PotVsKtl
12-13-2010, 02:35 PM
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lbyjr8qRk11qay9wgo1_r1_400.jpg

Awesome.

JustSteve
12-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Then again, even though I kind of preferred 28 Days Later to it

i saw 28 days later on release day in dublin. true story.

also saw papa roach at the point, but i don't like to talk about that.

suprefan
12-13-2010, 03:54 PM
http://bitcast-a-sm.bitgravity.com/slashfilm/wp/wp-content/images/TRONscreenings.jpg

paulb
12-13-2010, 03:57 PM
damn, lets get in line now!

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Ugh, that sounds fucking miserable. i'll be much happier purchasing an assigned seat at the arclight and seeing it at my leisure.

malcolmjamalawesome
12-13-2010, 07:31 PM
So, I just got back from an advance screening of Tron: Legacy. Some thoughts:

The Good: I thought the 3D worked well. In fact, I enjoyed the 3D effects in this more than in Avatar (but I personally found all of the N'avi distracting in Avatar). Tron's a little sleeker-looking and I just thought the effect worked better. Also, Olivia Wilde is honestly way, way hot.

The Bad: Fucking everything else. It is absurd how stupid of a piece of shit this movie is. The dialogue is hackneyed and awful. Nothing makes sense. There's a board meeting in the very beginning which absolutely nothing makes sense about. It's taking place at night and there's no reason for it to be taking place at night. The kid in it is the least likable male lead since Hayden Christensen in the Star Wars prequels. 2-dimensional, boring characters who don't appear to have any real motivation to do anything traipse around and say stupid shit and do illogical things for 2 hours.

And the cliches - oh, the cliches. The imagery is ripped from Star Wars: some guy kind of looks like Boba Fett, a bad red guy who uses TWO laser discs poses like Darth Maul, there's a fucking old guy in a robe with a younger guy and they run around on bridges, there's a fucking end-of-a-New-Hope-Death-Star-Tie-Fighter Sequence, one of the characters has a Luke Skywalker moment ....

... and of course, a fucking nightclub scene. Does every futuristic fantasy have to have a nightclub scene? Are people that interested in the fact that nightclubs in the future or space of the fucking Matrix look a little cleaner than nightclubs do now?

There's a fucking character that appears to be Simon Pegg as Lady Gaga playing Ziggy Stardust filling the "Quirky Androgynous Future Fop" role.

And the soundtrack, ohhhhhhhhh the soundtrack .... I guess the "score" parts of it aren't bad (one of the pieces sounds a lot like the Inception soundtrack with the BWAHHHHHHH part). But then there's those like, you know, those 2 or 3 actual Daft Punk "songs" on the soundtrack, right? And like, you can pretty much tell to the moment when one of those is gonna start up because it's always right after the lead kid does something like gets on the laser motorcycle and says something like "I could get used to this" or "game on" or something. In fact SPOILER ALERT in the stupid fucking Daft Punk cameo, the Lady Gaga character commands Daft Punk to stop playing one of the Daft Punk songs and then has them immediately start playing the other badass Daft Punk song when a fight breaks out, just so we get the experience of seeing a nightclub fight set to two different Daft Punk songs.

Long story short, this movie blows but pay to go see it for Olivia Wilde.

schoolofruckus
12-13-2010, 09:01 PM
That's not surprising at all but I still plan to see it.

In other news, I think Enter the Void just got knocked off the top of my 2010 best list.

MissingPerson
12-13-2010, 09:04 PM
i saw 28 days later on release day in dublin. true story.

also saw papa roach at the point, but i don't like to talk about that.

I laughed out loud.

Dark days, my friend. Dark days.

It just occurred to me that there may be people here who are both not aware of and would immensely enjoy Scott C's "Great Showdowns."

There are TONS of these on the site and they're all brilliant. it gets updated fairly often too.
http://greatshowdowns.com/

Oh this is marvellous.

wmgaretjax
12-13-2010, 09:32 PM
In other news, I think Enter the Void just got knocked off the top of my 2010 best list.

by....

bmack86
12-13-2010, 10:28 PM
Has anyone else watched Restrepo yet? I just watched it on Netflix and it was a pretty fantastic documentary. Sebastian Junger, The guy who wrote The Perfect Storm went with a platoon of army soldiers into the Korangal valley, which was dubbed by CNN the most dangerous place in the world at one point. It's a giant valley where the US was attempting to build a road, and these soldiers were fighting the Taliban forces back. Junger is on the lines with the guys at all times, filming right beside them as bullets fly and soldiers are hurt or killed. The film is a really excellent portrayal of how hard it is on the men who are going over there, and how futile, crushing and dehumanizing war can be. I was really impressed.

MissingPerson
12-13-2010, 10:39 PM
I caught the end of it on TV the other day, which was a pain in the ass, but I'll catch it on repeat. The sense of utter, wasteful futility must be enough to drive you mad.

Just looking at some of the trailers on Youtube, it's interesting and instantly apparent, how differently it seems to have been marketed here and in the US. The American trailers are all manly action shots and Hurt Locker explosions - the British trailer I saw just had a soldier sobbing hysterically, apparently in the middle of a firefight. I think it was far more effective, it was instantly arresting.

Down Rodeo
12-13-2010, 11:36 PM

Yes, do tell...

bmack86
12-13-2010, 11:48 PM
I caught the end of it on TV the other day, which was a pain in the ass, but I'll catch it on repeat. The sense of utter, wasteful futility must be enough to drive you mad.

Just looking at some of the trailers on Youtube, it's interesting and instantly apparent, how differently it seems to have been marketed here and in the US. The American trailers are all manly action shots and Hurt Locker explosions - the British trailer I saw just had a soldier sobbing hysterically, apparently in the middle of a firefight. I think it was far more effective, it was instantly arresting.

And what I really liked is they showed how the American marketed idea is what creates the truth that they're marketing to the British audience. It shows how close of a bond these guys necessarily have to form, and how hard it is whenever they lose someone.

Also, I was blown away at how good it looked. I had to focus at times and remember that I wasn't watching a hollywood film, the picture was so good.

TallGuyCM
12-13-2010, 11:50 PM
The Bad: Fucking everything else. It is absurd how stupid of a piece of shit this movie is. The dialogue is hackneyed and awful. Nothing makes sense.

So you're saying it's exactly like the first one?

And I saw The Tourist this afternoon (in my defense, it was my only option, I had 5 hours to kill before Roger Waters), and it was possibly even worse than I had anticipated. Angelina Jolie trying to have a British accent for one was just laughable, but the whole thing was just dumb. The "bad guys" were so cliche and textbook that at times it almost seemed like a farce and I was waiting for Leslie Nielsen's decaying corpse to come flying in on a trapeze from somewhere.

MissingPerson
12-14-2010, 12:03 AM
And what I really liked is they showed how the American marketed idea is what creates the truth that they're marketing to the British audience. It shows how close of a bond these guys necessarily have to form, and how hard it is whenever they lose someone.

Also, I was blown away at how good it looked. I had to focus at times and remember that I wasn't watching a hollywood film, the picture was so good.

Definitely, to both points. I just thought it was an interesting example of a a film being presented in two completely different ways to two different audiences. That happens all the time in movies, sure, just seems particularly interesting in the case of a documentary.

American trailer:

9HEyTyBGk10

Version like the one I saw:

fKxysYXSDrM

Also seemed interesting to me that the main thing they wanted to do for a British audience was humanise the guys in the first place. Whereas Americans don't really need to have that in their trailer - they're American guys.

Yes, it looked jaw dropping.

rage patton
12-14-2010, 12:10 AM
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ld2ga60N9R1qay9wgo1_400.jpg

These two made me laugh. Thank you for making me aware of this.

schoolofruckus
12-14-2010, 10:52 AM
TallChris helpfully reminded me that I passed out during Film Socialisme.

TallGuyCM
12-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Still waiting on what knocked Enter the Void off your list...

schoolofruckus
12-14-2010, 11:30 AM
by....

One of only things that sucks about becoming obsessed with great directors from past eras is the moment you realize that they're deceased, and that once you cross that last film off your completionist checklist, you've had your last fresh look through their eyes. I had that moment with John Cassavetes after I saw Minnie and Moskowitz, because even though I haven't seen his hired-gun trilogy of Too Late Blues, A Child Is Waiting, or Big Trouble, I knew that there were no longer any films left to discover that were truly his.

But I swear I was right back in Cassavetes world for two harrowing hours last night at the Landmark - in the form of Blue Valentine. This is one of those films where absolutely every second rings true - where even a working-class dropout can strum a ukulele on a city bus without appearing to be some absurd hipster writer fantasy. This is a film about a deteriorating marriage that juxtaposes flashbacks from when the relationship was impulsively conceived with the brutal realities of a prison-like domestic existence, vividly recalling the glorious Faces and A Woman Under the Influence despite a decidedly un-Cassavetes achronological narrative. Every minor emotional twitch and every major volcanic eruption bear the same titanic amount of authenticity; fuck, I have a GREAT marriage and I still found myself nodding solemnly at every twist in the conflict. The acting here....Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams give transcendently full-bodied performances that feel like a respective culmination of all the impressive work they've each done heretofore. The photography is excellent - there's a fair amount of pore-spelunking close-ups and gritty handheld work, but also a multitude of perfectly-composed images that drive the story forward rather than merely the budget down; this is no one-trick Amerindie visual pony. The score - which is mostly pre-existing instrumental Grizzly Bear tracks - is somehow note-perfect, which can rarely be said of a film whose soundtrack is all found.

I have to acknowledge that this film may not do to all of you what it did to me. I also expect that I will have to fight with some of the same people who thought Knocked Up was sexist about this film - and fight I will. I don't expect to see a better film than this until The Tree of Life.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-14-2010, 12:02 PM
I had no idea that was getting released already, with the rating struggle happening. I very, very much want to see that.

schoolofruckus
12-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Yeah, that's why there was such an uproar about it - NC-17 means they would have no chance at getting Oscar nominations, and we all know Harvey Weinstein won't stand for that. I believe it comes out on Christmas in Los Angeles.

iv3rdawG
12-14-2010, 12:45 PM
I'm glad you liked it. I saw it during AFI Fest (I missed Boonme for it cause it started late) but it was well worth it. My favorite movie of the year also, so far.

TallGuyCM
12-14-2010, 02:06 PM
The week after Christmas is going to be a mother - Blue Valentine, Biutiful, and True Grit. I hope to have seen all of them by New Year's.

schoolofruckus
12-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Goddammit....Todd Haynes' Poison is getting a theatrical revival in Los Angeles, but it's the day I'm going to be in San Francisco watching Godspeed (February 20th). Anyone who's not doing likewise should go to this:

akY2RcPYhos

wmgaretjax
12-14-2010, 06:04 PM
That film is so great. If I ever own a theater it's getting a double feature showing with Leolo.

schoolofruckus
12-14-2010, 07:48 PM
I'm really hoping it's getting re-issued on DVD/introduced on Blu-Ray, as the impetus for that screening. I've been wanting to see it for a while.

In other news, Los Angeles gets Uncle Boonmee on March 4th.

wmgaretjax
12-14-2010, 08:07 PM
i have a copy of the DVD you can borrow Gabe if you haven't been able to track down a copy... (i could also just rip it and upload it somewhere in as high of quality as possible)

schoolofruckus
12-14-2010, 08:36 PM
If I could burn a copy of the DVD while I'm up there not getting to watch it in theaters, that would be awesome.

wmgaretjax
12-14-2010, 08:44 PM
If I could burn a copy of the DVD while I'm up there not getting to watch it in theaters, that would be awesome.

hell yeah. i'll burn you a copy and pass it off to you when you come up.

vogina
12-14-2010, 11:29 PM
Definitely, to both points. I just thought it was an interesting example of a a film being presented in two completely different ways to two different audiences. That happens all the time in movies, sure, just seems particularly interesting in the case of a documentary.

American trailer:

9HEyTyBGk10

Version like the one I saw:

fKxysYXSDrM

Also seemed interesting to me that the main thing they wanted to do for a British audience was humanise the guys in the first place. Whereas Americans don't really need to have that in their trailer - they're American guys.

Yes, it looked jaw dropping.

Yup. America, FUCK YA!?

Where as in Europe, sex is represented as something to embrace, and violence is disgusted. America...FUCK YA!?

roberto73
12-15-2010, 06:14 AM
The A.V. Club's list of the 15 Worst Films of 2010:

15. Hot Tub Time Machine
14. Letters to Juliet
13. Multiple Sarcasms
12. The Bounty Hunter
11. Marmaduke
10. Killers
9. Flipped
8. When in Rome
7. Grown Ups
6. Finding Bliss
5. The Nutcracker in 3D
4. Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore
3. Jonah Hex
2. Sex and the City 2
1. The Last Airbender
Artistically and critically speaking, there was no bigger fiasco this year than The Last Airbender, M. Night Shyamalan’s first foray into big-budget special-effects action-adventure. Clumsily adapting the entire first season of a terrific Nickelodeon animated series into a 103-minute live-action feature, Shyamalan coped with his time crunch by having the characters dully, dutifully explain everything they’re thinking, planning, or feeling. Flat acting and stiff directing don’t help matters, nor does the overcrowded plot; treating his world as something the characters have to constantly define for each other makes his fantasy world feel even more ludicrous and unreal. And then there’s the disastrous 3-D conversion, which make the visuals so dark and muddy that even the special effects couldn’t serve as a sop for the fans. Laughable where it’s supposed to be serious and depressing where it’s supposed to be comedic, The Last Airbender was a punchline for much of 2010—again, artistically and critically speaking. Financially, it made back its money, and Shyamalan has sketched out a sequel that may or may not happen. If it does, at least this time, viewers will go in forewarned, and with a slot ready and waiting for the worst films of 2011 or 2012.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-15-worst-films-of-2010,49052/

ivankay
12-15-2010, 06:34 AM
Although not good, Last Airbender was not that bad. i went in with the worst expectations and didn't leave hating it.

bmack86
12-15-2010, 09:17 AM
i have a copy of the DVD you can borrow Gabe if you haven't been able to track down a copy... (i could also just rip it and upload it somewhere in as high of quality as possible)

Yes?!

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-15-2010, 09:20 AM
I absolutely LOVE Hot Tub Time Machine. I have no intention of seeing anything else on that list except Jonah Hex, which i suspect I will enjoy the shit out of.

I watched The Number 23 last night, which was pretty terrible, but it's huge and bombastic and stylized that i couldn't help but enjoy myself with it.

wmgaretjax
12-15-2010, 09:26 AM
Yes?!

i can burn you a copy too. your address is the same as the last time I sent you something yeah?

bmack86
12-15-2010, 09:28 AM
That's me. I'm also gonna be in the bay after x-mas

wmgaretjax
12-15-2010, 09:37 AM
That's me. I'm also gonna be in the bay after x-mas

i'm out of town the 27th-4th... will you be there after the 4th? if so, I can just hand it off then. else, i'll mail it.

schoolofruckus
12-15-2010, 09:47 AM
Unbelievable:
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/thetreeoflife/

bmack86
12-15-2010, 09:53 AM
i'm out of town the 27th-4th... will you be there after the 4th? if so, I can just hand it off then. else, i'll mail it.

Nope, I'll be there the 27th through the 2nd. Oops.

wmgaretjax
12-15-2010, 09:53 AM
seriously. i'm so sick of waiting.

Down Rodeo
12-15-2010, 10:46 AM
That Tree of Life trailer already makes me want to weep. Hurry the hell up and get released already!

bobert
12-15-2010, 10:58 AM
That Tree of Life trailer already makes me want to weep. Hurry the hell up and get released already!

Seriously. Gives me goose-bumps.

daxton
12-15-2010, 12:04 PM
I'd seen the trailer for Zack and Miri Make a Porno maybe a year ago and thought it looked cute, but forgot about the movie until I watched it last week at a friend's. There were definitely some funny parts and it was actually pretty sweet, in a non-nauseating way.

And, Badlands, the past two nights was a nice watch. Sissy Spacek was so great. I could listen to her say anything in that voice, and her clothes were amazing. I've also never seen Martin Sheen so young! Has anyone else seen this?

PotVsKtl
12-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Badlands is from the same director already being discussed on this page. People have seen it.

daxton
12-15-2010, 01:18 PM
Thank you for clarifying. I haven't really paid much attention to The Tree of Life talk. Now I see why people are so excited.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Badlands is amazing. Yes.

Stop splitting movies into two-night events.

daxton
12-15-2010, 01:41 PM
:( I got sleepy.

schoolofruckus
12-15-2010, 02:21 PM
As the reigning expert on falling asleep during movies, I have the authority to say that you must ALWAYS restart the film and watch it all the way through on the night in which you choose to resume watching it.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-15-2010, 02:37 PM
:( I got sleepy.

I mostly said that because I seem to recall multiple reports from you about watching single movies over multi-night periods.

daxton
12-15-2010, 03:24 PM
It's true. I mostly just watch movies in bed before I go to sleep. I really should quit, but it's hard for me to justify sitting down and watching tv or movies at home unless I'm multitasking.

TallGuyCM
12-15-2010, 03:34 PM
Unbelievable:
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/thetreeoflife/

Wow, that trailer really lives up to the hype. That looks gorgeous.

And add me to the list of those fond of Winter's Bone. Palpable intensity.

roberto73
12-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Incredibly excited for The Tree of Life, but that trailer also reminds me just how much I fucking love The Thin Red Line. I hope the Criterion version of that sucker is in my stocking next week.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-15-2010, 04:12 PM
It's true. I mostly just watch movies in bed before I go to sleep. I really should quit, but it's hard for me to justify sitting down and watching tv or movies at home unless I'm multitasking.

Aw, that's sad. I really try to make sure I can do absolutely nothing but devote all of my attention to the tv when I watch movies. I want to be as involved with the film as much as possible.

PotVsKtl
12-15-2010, 04:32 PM
Incredibly excited for The Tree of Life, but that trailer also reminds me just how much I fucking love The Thin Red Line. I hope the Criterion version of that sucker is in my stocking next week.

I knew there was something I forgot to force people to purchase for me.

roberto73
12-15-2010, 04:44 PM
I knew there was something I forgot to force people to purchase for me.

No coercion necessary. The spirit of generosity inherent in the Christmas season clearly extends to three-hour meditations on death and mankind's destructive relationship to nature masquerading as WWII films. I thought everyone knew this.

DFrank
12-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Just saw "Valhalla Rising" with Mads Mikkelsen (le chiffre from Casino Royale). The film takes place in 1000 AD and follows a Norse warrior named One-Eye and a boy named Are as they travel with a band of Christian Crusaders in pursuit of a Crusade.

Brutal movie, little dialogue-Mikkelsen plays a mute, but interesting. The ending left me a bit upset with no real closure.

WcFOSfaCNec

daxton
12-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Aw, that's sad. I really try to make sure I can do absolutely nothing but devote all of my attention to the tv when I watch movies. I want to be as involved with the film as much as possible.

Well, I spend weeks to months at a time watching films for/at work, so it's not so bad.

TallGuyCM
12-16-2010, 09:29 AM
Golden Globe nominations are out:

http://www.goldenglobes.org/blog/2010/12/the-68th-annual-golden-globe-awards-nominations/

schoolofruckus
12-16-2010, 09:39 AM
Golden Globe and Oscar nominations don't belong here.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-16-2010, 09:42 AM
Watched Cronenberg's Crash last night. It's delightfully awful in very entertaining ways.

malcolmjamalawesome
12-16-2010, 09:43 AM
WTF is Tree of Life about

wmgaretjax
12-16-2010, 09:51 AM
Watched Cronenberg's Crash last night. It's delightfully awful in very entertaining ways.

severely underrated film.

schoolofruckus
12-16-2010, 10:04 AM
WTF is Tree of Life about

Everything.

schoolofruckus
12-16-2010, 10:46 AM
More Jodorowsky for those of us in Los Angeles, this time at the Egyptian:

Saturday, January 15
7:30 PM SANTA SANGRE & FANDO AND LIS

Sunday, January 16
7:30 PM EL TOPO & THE HOLY MOUNTAIN

daxton
12-16-2010, 10:47 AM

Speaking of James Spader, I feel a strong desire to profess my love for Secretary.

amyzzz
12-16-2010, 10:48 AM
I recall that being one of the most uncomfortable movie theatre experiences I've had. I personally liked the movie, but several members of the audience were shuffling around and clearing their throats throughout the movie.

schoolofruckus
12-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Ryan?

bmack86
12-16-2010, 10:53 AM
Sunday, January 16
7:30 PM EL TOPO & THE HOLY MOUNTAIN

Hmmm......

schoolofruckus
12-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Do it. The Holy Mountain on a 70mm screen? Fuck, I might do it, and I just saw it in the theater four months ago.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Holy Mountain on a big screen would be awesome. I just watched El Topo for the first time a couple weeks ago and enjoyed it much too, although i'm not sure about sitting through both of those movies back to back.

TallGuyCM
12-16-2010, 11:14 AM
They were fine back to back at the New Bev a few months ago. Super excited for Santa Sangre and Fando and Lis.

TallGuyCM
12-16-2010, 11:45 AM
This is an interesting little read, I haven't seen most of these:

http://www.criterion.com/explore/125-guillermo-del-toros-top-10?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=the_criterion_collection_newsletter-december_2010&utm_content=the_criterion_collection_newsletter-december_2010+CID_4995db60406233139112fd77b392441c&utm_source=Campaign+Monitor&utm_term=Click+here+for+the+filmmakers+selections

schoolofruckus
12-16-2010, 12:03 PM
I've seen the Gilliams, the Kubricks, Seventh Seal and Ran. I need to watch more Kurosawa, starting with The Seven Samurai Blu-Ray this weekend.

TallGuyCM
12-16-2010, 12:06 PM
You're finally doing it!

mountmccabe
12-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Just saw "Valhalla Rising" with Mads Mikkelsen (le chiffre from Casino Royale). The film takes place in 1000 AD and follows a Norse warrior named One-Eye and a boy named Are as they travel with a band of Christian Crusaders in pursuit of a Crusade.

Brutal movie, little dialogue-Mikkelsen plays a mute, but interesting.

Yeah, that was great. If you search the thread you can find a number of people commenting on it.

The ending left me a bit upset with no real closure.

This I don't understand though. I mean, prescient mute meets the fate he saw coming as a sacrifice to allow the boy that just found salt water to be left alone and build his ship to go home, what else did you want to happen?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-16-2010, 06:08 PM
Oh, I totally forgot to mention watching Fright Night for the first time the other night.
http://www.horrorphile.net/images/fright-night-movie-poster12.jpg

Man, this has got to be one of the best horror movies of the '80s, hands down. Very likeable characters, a terrific villain, just the right amount of camp, and some really excellent animatronic/makeup work. The wolf sequence is really something special. It's not really a gorefest, but it's well done and for fans of movies like An American Werewolf In London.

EDIT: Oh, i guess I should mention it's about vampires.

ballroomdancer22
12-16-2010, 06:17 PM
that movie box is embedded in my head for eternity....they dont make em like they use to right?

Mothafuckin 'Fright Nitght'

the poster artwork, not the forgettable film itself

clumsy342
12-16-2010, 06:57 PM
More Jodorowsky for those of us in Los Angeles, this time at the Egyptian:

Saturday, January 15
7:30 PM SANTA SANGRE & FANDO AND LIS

!!!!!!

Goddammit. Why can't they do this in Portland?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-16-2010, 10:44 PM
Okay, I just watched Seven Samurai, finally. Wow. It really is every bit as good as everyone has said. Simply incredible.

I had seen Magnificent Seven, so i was familiar with a lot of the basic plot, but they definitely changed a lot in that remake (beyond making it a western), so watching this now doesn't feel repetitive at all.

I don't think 3 hours and 27 minutes has ever flown by so quickly.

DFrank
12-17-2010, 12:11 AM
Re: Valhalla Rising

I mean, prescient mute meets the fate he saw coming as a sacrifice to allow the boy that just found salt water to be left alone and build his ship to go home, what else did you want to happen?

Thanks, i searched it and agreed with a couple of the reviews. It wasn't so much the ending with Valhalla Rising as much as the whole thing. It seemed too selfish (is that the right word?) with itself that by the end I felt it shallow.

Kinda funny how Mads Mikkelsen has played a character with eye problems in the two movies ive seen him in.

boxofbox
12-17-2010, 07:10 AM
So, I'm super late to the party, but I just saw Enter the Void last night and I have some thoughts:

(SPOILER WARNING)

1. Wow! Haptic cinema! The scene where Oscar & his bud are walking through Tokyo in the beginning was nauseating, but amazing! ...but now when i try to see any other movie it feels like I'm watching it framed with a proscenium and it feels stiff. Thanks Gaspar.

2. Now I have seen what the abortion operation looks like. Thanks Gaspar. (although now I wonder if it was simulated or if he actually made her get pregnant??)

3. There were a couple moments, especially when she first hears about her brother's death, where adult Linda doesn't cut it. I can't tell if its because she can't act, or because the momentum (and camera work) of the film doesn't let you emotionally engage unless being pounded in the face by it, or if we're supposed to feeling distant (ugh!). I thought the film suffered from lack of just one moment (maybe 15 minutes) where we really stopped moving and honed in on a moment of sadness, letting it fester and attack us through the acting. We get this through the child screaming, although we are hard-wired to respond viscerally and in very reptilian brain kinds of ways. I left confused whether I should blame the director, the actor or myself. Thanks, Gaspar! (also, was she supposed to have downs? because when they re-meet at the airport and in scenes shortly afterwards she sure acts like it)

4. As far as technical design goes, I think this is best film I have every seen. As far as graphic design goes, ditto. It helped that I was forced to give up control of my irises and that I was fully immersed by the time the DMT trip started. It should really win an Oscar (sadly, it won't). There were several times I though someone has slipped some brown acid into my taco at dinner. I would love love love to see a special effects behind the scenes. Thanks, Gaspar!

5. The ending a la penetration "close-up". really? I knew the whole reincarnation through his sister was coming the moment we were given the druggie summary of the book of the dead + the obvious comment about "killing her baby" (although I had my suspicions even from seeing the trailer). I wasn't sure if I was supposed to laugh at the bad jizz animation, but in any case I was giggling, especially afterwards when the baby oscar goes right for the boob. If I were doing a "book report" style essay on this feature, I would choose to comment on the theme of boobs in the movie, cuz there are a lot of them. Thanks, Gaspar!

6. Thomas "Daft" Bangalangadingdong and the sound design team did a nice job on the sound. Even though I was in a shitty old theatre, it still worked really well. Thanks, Bangladeshater (and Gaspar)!

7. Thematically the narrative was pretty little thin, but the fragmented reveal of the story really worked, and I didn't look down at my watch once. This very rarely happens for me. I was worried that the whole out-of-body experience would be really cheesy, but it wasn't. It fuckin' worked well. Thanks, Gaspar.

mountmccabe
12-17-2010, 07:15 AM
Okay, I just watched Seven Samurai, finally. Wow. It really is every bit as good as everyone has said. Simply incredible.

I had seen Magnificent Seven, so i was familiar with a lot of the basic plot, but they definitely changed a lot in that remake (beyond making it a western), so watching this now doesn't feel repetitive at all.

I don't think 3 hours and 27 minutes has ever flown by so quickly.

Now you have to see Battle Beyond the Stars. It has Robert Vaughn (playing the same role as in The Magnificent Seven) and George Peppard!

thewoodenman
12-17-2010, 12:39 PM
where the hell can I watch Enter the Void??

daxton
12-17-2010, 12:50 PM
2. Now I have seen what the abortion operation looks like. Thanks Gaspar. (although now I wonder if it was simulated or if he actually made her get pregnant??)

Um….I kinda doubt Noe had someone get pregnant only to abort the fetus for a shot.

bobert
12-17-2010, 02:09 PM
So you're saying the fire-extinguisher bludgeoning in Irreversible was probably fake too? Noe suddenly seems like such a fraud.

wmgaretjax
12-17-2010, 02:25 PM
http://animalradio.com/EricStromerMarNL.jpg

woooooosh

daxton
12-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Ouch.

AlecEiffel
12-18-2010, 10:07 AM
I was just browsing the imdb message boards (never a good idea, I know), but I was surprised by how negative the general opinion of Vahalla Rising is.

Down Rodeo
12-18-2010, 02:21 PM
Based on the reactions I see from other people to the types of films I usually watch, I can guarantee that the majority of film-goers would find Valhalla Rising to be "boring." That sentiment probably leads to a majority of the negative reviews on IMDB.

MissingPerson
12-18-2010, 03:47 PM
Old timey British animation was unbelieveably fucked up.

ntI-7vR2zRs

GeezrRckr
12-18-2010, 06:23 PM
since i am not nearly as passionate about film as i am about music, i hesitated about jumping into this thread. but, i just saw Black Swan and am still quite creeped out by it.

i felt Aronofsky did a great job building tension throughout the film (the cinematography bugged me the first 40 mins or so of the film, then as the creepy factor increased, it started to work). Portman's performance threw me for a total loop...she nailed it. i just hope she starts fucking eating again. that neck vein of hers was gnarly.

btw, i honestly knew ZERO about this movie going in. hmmm....maybe i should give up some shows and see more films.

TallGuyCM
12-18-2010, 06:33 PM
Portman's performance threw me for a total loop...she nailed it. i just hope she starts fucking eating again.

She has. She was on Letterman a few weeks ago and talked about just that.

hmmm....maybe i should give up some shows and see more films.

That's what I've done in the past year. Music will always be an obsession, but in the past year film has actually probably been more important and rewarding for me.

wmgaretjax
12-18-2010, 06:40 PM
I definitely alternate. The past few months have definitely been music months... mostly because it takes a bit more attention to focus on film. A bit tougher to multitask (although I do it).

GeezrRckr
12-18-2010, 06:43 PM
i have also alternated as well....but i've been on a couple-year long music bender that i can't seem to shake. is there some sort of group for that?

i'm talking about a fight club sort of group.

crumbduck
12-18-2010, 08:40 PM
I saw Tron Legacy today. Shit was biodigital jazz man! I enjoyed it for what it was. Yes it dragged & was campy at times, possibly unintentionally, but I liked it. There were some impressive action sequences and special fx. Worth seeing on the Imax 3D.

Spoiler:
What a tease to have Cillian Murphy in there for 5 minutes, if that. Can only hope if there are sequels that he gets a lot more to play with. There's definitely potential with the franchise.

schoolofruckus
12-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Rabbit Hole was okay. The acting was solid throughout (and in the case of Dianne Wiest, fantastic). The script was bizarrely plot-focused for a stage adaptation in which very little "happens"; every scene seemed to be primarily about moving on to the next one, rather than digging into intimate moments that are ever critical in a grief-stricken drama like this. The music was also horrendous. So it was not only the antithesis of the glorious Hedwig and the Angry Inch, but also vastly inferior to Blue Valentine, which mines similar emotional (if not thematic) territory.

I'm growing tired of directors who have visionary works in their past making below-average films from scripts written by other people. It kind of blows my mind that we're near the end of a year in which Darren Aronofsky, David O. Russell, Martin Scorsese, David Fincher and John Cameron Mitchell all made films that were grossly underwhelming.

ErikFlyingV
12-18-2010, 11:58 PM
Once Upon a Time in America is coming to blu-ray!

Sorry if this is old news, but it's news to me. It's my favorite film of all time, and I'm glad to finally have it on one disc instead of split twenty minutes before an already in place Intermission.

Moral of the post is see this movie if you haven't, and see it again if you have.

liquidsnake28
12-19-2010, 01:12 AM
That movie is obnoxiously long. Come on, that's not really your favorite movie. The Lion King was much better, dude. If you want to go with long stuff, Apocalypse now, any Kubrick film, Gone With The Wind, The Godfather, Citizen Kane, Casablanca ... dude, that longass Sergio Leone shit pretty much sucks ...

The Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work documentary is just as good as you've heard. I've always very disliked this woman (and I still do) but it's a really good documentary film nonetheless.

liquidsnake28
12-19-2010, 03:17 AM
I'm in a screenwriting mood, what are some of yours favs screenplays? My favorite, simple yet perfect scripts are Back to the Future, Psycho and the success stories of Clerks and Reservoir Dogs are great. What about you?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-19-2010, 03:04 PM
On the topic of devoting time to music/movies, I have been absolutely terrible with seeing movies in the theater recently. i never thought it would happe3n to me, but with Netflix I have totally become a watch-at-home person. Between dvds and instant I generally watch 4-7 movies a week.

BUT I did god see Tron yesterday. I acknowledge that it's dumb, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. It's visually dazzling, the score works very well for it, the 3d works very well for it. It's a good, simple action flick that moves briskly and looks great.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-19-2010, 03:05 PM
I'm in a screenwriting mood, what are some of yours favs screenplays? My favorite, simple yet perfect scripts are Back to the Future, Psycho and the success stories of Clerks and Reservoir Dogs are great. What about you?

Chinatown is a masterpiece to read, and then compare to the film. It's incredible.

Will have to think about more.

TallGuyCM
12-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Between dvds and instant I generally watch 4-7 movies a week.

I try to watch 2 a week, but more often than not come up short of that. These past few weeks have been solid though.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-19-2010, 07:58 PM
I don't watch television, so I think that really helps me tear through a lot of movies. i don't have an antenna or cable or anything in the backhouse I live in. But I'll rent/borrow dvd sets of shows I'm interested in.

TallGuyCM
12-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Yeah, not much TV for me either. Mainly sports, bands on late night shows, a few shows but I hardly watch anything on live tv anymore.

Being out of town for work and general fatigue at the end of the day are my biggest obstacles that movies have going against them. Especially if it's a foreign film or something of substantial merit that requires focus, if I'm not 100% there mentally I think it's better to save it for a time when I'm fully rested than to watch something just to watch it.

El.C.Dub
12-19-2010, 08:15 PM

Dr. Strangelove, Godfather (adapted obviously), and There Will be Blood immediately come to mind.

liquidsnake28
12-19-2010, 08:33 PM
Fucking Apocalypse Now! Every time I see it (this was my 7th) it stays with me for at least a week or so and I can't shake it. It's the same way with Thin Red Line. I need to cut it out with masterpiece war films or I might so go a little crazy or something.

thewoodenman
12-20-2010, 09:37 AM
Fucking Apocalypse Now! Every time I see it (this was my 7th) it stays with me for at least a week or so and I can't shake it.

i fully agree with you, everytime i watch this movie it completely screws with my head. it usually starts around the scene with the playmates and just grows more and more intense nonstop till the end.

SoulDischarge
12-20-2010, 09:37 AM
Going back a few pages, I found Poison at CineFile for you L.A. folk.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Watched two flicks last night. First was HellRide, which was disappointingly terrible. I'm totally down for the B-movie gridnhouse revival stuff, but this movie just sucks, despite really awesome supporting roles from Dennis Hopper, Vinni Jones, David Carradine, and Michael Madson. Jones is the only one even having fun, the others are just phoning it in, and every other actor in the movie is fucking horrid. The plot is exrucatingly simple, but the storytelling is needlessly convoluted, and the dialogue was almost embarrassing to listen to. ugh.

Other flick was V For Vendetta. I have yet to read the comic, even though i'm a big Alan Moore fan, so i can't comment on what kind of an adaptation this is, but even with the extreme on-the-nose politics i appreciated how well made and extravagant the film is. There's a lot of good acting in this, especially Hugo Weaving, who does a really brilliant job even wearing a mask the entire time. The movie isn't nearly as deep as it would like to be, but it's a really fun action flick. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

GeezrRckr
12-20-2010, 10:57 AM
The movie isn't nearly as deep as it would like to be
yeah, that was my complaint too.

TallGuyCM
12-20-2010, 02:35 PM
Finally got around to watching Crazy Heart last night and really liked it.

Jeff Bridges cracks me up though. In an era where there seem to be so many actors who do little more than play their real-life selves on screen (I'm looking at you, Robert Downey Jr.), the disparity between some of the characters Bridges chooses to play and his real life personality is staggering.

Example: his interview with Jimmy Fallon on Friday. He comes off as mostly coherent in so many of his roles, then you get him on a couch in real life and he's just the Dude. Answering most questions with "Yeahhhh, man...." and "Far out....." Even his Oscar acceptance speech was pretty much filled with that.

daxton
12-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Other flick was V For Vendetta. I have yet to read the comic, even though i'm a big Alan Moore fan, so i can't comment on what kind of an adaptation this is, but even with the extreme on-the-nose politics i appreciated how well made and extravagant the film is. There's a lot of good acting in this, especially Hugo Weaving, who does a really brilliant job even wearing a mask the entire time. The movie isn't nearly as deep as it would like to be, but it's a really fun action flick. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

This is by far my favorite graphic-novel adaptation. I'm not usually into that sort of thing, or action movies for that matter. This one just seemed like so much more.

sbessiso
12-20-2010, 02:53 PM
V for Vendetta is an overrated, bloated mess.

schoolofruckus
12-20-2010, 03:15 PM
I'm in the pro-V For Vendetta camp. For a big-budget Hollywood action film, I would say that it's got some pretty advanced political content.

Best graphic-novel adaptation is still Oldboy, though.

MissingPerson
12-20-2010, 03:31 PM
My only real problem with V for Vendetta is that it makes a distinct effort to neuter Moore's ferocious anarchistic ideals. Beyond the neat little V symbol itself, it's impossible to tell it they were ever part of it, never mind the whole meat of the thing. It was repackaged into a far more familiar kind of libertarian fable. Although I don't think it suffers too much as a story in itself, I can't help being a little outraged on Alan Moore's behalf.

I don't object to that overmuch, I agree it was smarter than your average bear. It feels like a noble mess, but I enjoyed it. It has some great moments and visuals in there.

wmgaretjax
12-20-2010, 03:32 PM
A History Of Violence.

schoolofruckus
12-20-2010, 04:01 PM
I can understand not liking it on those grounds. But I also think it's important to remember that a quality adaptation doesn't really have anything to do with the film being good, and vice versa. To use another example of Warner Bros. doing Alan Moore - Watchmen was a pretty good adaptation, but it was a terrible movie.

The sad thing is that I'm not nearly as avid a reader as I would like to be, so I'm often in the position of judging films solely on whether or not they work unto themselves.

clumsy342
12-20-2010, 07:26 PM
jOVq_UL48o0

Hey. There's a screener of Black Swan torrent out there. by the way.

sbessiso
12-20-2010, 07:47 PM
thats HILARIOUS^^^^^

Finally saw Toy Story 3. Pretty fucking wonderful and the ending was such a nice touch. Overall though I think part II is probably the best of the series.

GeezrRckr
12-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Hey. There's a screener of Black Swan torrent out there. by the way.
have you DLd any of them yet? there are quite a few of them that have surfaced and i'm wondering which scene did the best job.

wmgaretjax
12-20-2010, 07:51 PM
the screenshots i'm looking at are pretty gross. i'd hold out. it's a pretty stunning film; it's worth the wait.

GeezrRckr
12-20-2010, 07:55 PM
since i've already seen it, i'm going to give one of them a try since i'd like to watch it again. i'll report back.

(but, yes...better seen for the first time in a theater)

ps - why are you on here, Jared. don't you have, ehem, something to do?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-20-2010, 08:04 PM
on the topic of best comic book adaptations, I would argue in the favor of Ghost World or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The Crow is a fantastic adaptation as well. I love both Oldboy and A History Violence, but I never read the source materials. Same goes with Road To Perdition.

wmgaretjax
12-20-2010, 08:31 PM
ps - why are you on here, Jared. don't you have, ehem, something to do?

t-minus 15 minutes.

schoolofruckus
12-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Looks like the Criterion Collection turned down Enter the Void, but agreed to release Carlos.

chairmenmeow47
12-21-2010, 10:23 AM
i am going to see 127 hours tonight. cannot wait!

wmgaretjax
12-21-2010, 10:26 AM
Looks like the Criterion Collection turned down Enter the Void, but agreed to release Carlos.

i'll take it.

PotVsKtl
12-21-2010, 10:36 AM
So Cyrus is an entirely different sort of movie than I expected, and a pretty effective one at that. The marketing folks behind this film really robbed it of an audience.

wmgaretjax
12-21-2010, 10:47 AM
yeah. it was a little hokey in places, but I really enjoyed it. that and that lesbian moms sperm donor dad movie were really surprising this year.

bobert
12-21-2010, 11:18 AM
So Cyrus is an entirely different sort of movie than I expected, and a pretty effective one at that. The marketing folks behind this film really robbed it of an audience.

I agree. Jonah Hill was excellent.

Down Rodeo
12-21-2010, 11:33 AM
yeah. it was a little hokey in places, but I really enjoyed it. that and that lesbian moms sperm donor dad movie were really surprising this year.

The Kids Are All Right. Yes, I agree.

schoolofruckus
12-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Really? I guess I'll have to catch The Kids Are Alright during Spirit Award screenings (in addition to Cyrus, but that was part of my plan anyway).

full on idle
12-21-2010, 12:14 PM
Cyrus made me wayyyy too uncomfortable and I was forced to turn it off.

The Kids Are Alright was decent acting but the plot was disappointing.

Thank you for your time.

TallGuyCM
12-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Watched Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance last night. Just a little precaution for those who might have an interest in watching it on Netflix Instant - the quality is really subpar. It was like watching a non-HD cable channel.

I liked the movie a lot though, although to me Oldboy was much better.

Down Rodeo
12-22-2010, 01:17 PM
I liked the movie a lot though, although to me Oldboy was much better.

I agree. I also have yet to see Lady Vengeance.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-22-2010, 01:32 PM
I have seen Oldboy and Lady Vengeance, still need to see Mr. Vengeance. Lady Vengeance is good, but not nearly as good as Oldboy and i'm told is the weakest of the 3.

I watched Black Hawk Down last night and holy shit is that a chaotic movie. I was not expecting it to be a 2 hour long battle sequence. My cat was freaking the fuck out the whole time.

paulb
12-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Just watched The Town....I really fuckin loved it... every single scene. My only complaint is too much Boston shit in every scene! In 1 scene hes wearing a Red Sox jacket, the next scene a diff Red Sox jersey, the next scene its the TD Garden, the next scene a mention of the red sox losing a game....the next scene red sox getting a hit against the Yankees, the next their in Fenway and hes pointing at the last time they won a championship....like seriously... i couldnt take that.

chairmenmeow47
12-22-2010, 01:33 PM
you let your cat watch rated R movies?

also, 127 hours... holy shit. never again will i buy cheapo camping supplies.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-22-2010, 01:56 PM
My cat is 15 years old, he can handle it. I need to put ear muffs on him when it's going to be gunshots, explosions and helicopter in surround sound for 2 hours though hahaha

yeahfontaine
12-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Speaking of James Spader, I feel a strong desire to profess my love for Secretary.

Agreed. That film is hot hot hot.

As far as screenplays go, I really love The Piano. Great read even though it's fairly simple in nature.

Also (sorry to blab so much about so many different topics but this is my first time posting in here since I have feared this thread would surely monopolize my life--uh-oh), my husband and I went to see Black Swan yesterday and we absolutely loved it. What a fantastic idea to situate a thriller inside of the world of ballet. Creepy and gorgeous. First time in years and years I've been truly scared in the theater.

Aronofsky is so rad.

Mau5 Boyz
12-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Thezzz Kidszzz Arezzz Allzzz Rightzzz dummyzzz!

Really? I guess I'll have to catch The Kids Are Alright during Spirit Award screenings (in addition to Cyrus, but that was part of my plan anyway).

ErikFlyingV
12-22-2010, 04:37 PM
What a fantastic idea to situate a thriller inside of the world of ballet. Creepy and gorgeous.

Aronofsky is so rad.

Check out Suspiria.

DFrank
12-22-2010, 04:55 PM
Just watched The Town....I really fuckin loved it... every single scene. My only complaint is too much Boston shit in every scene! In 1 scene hes wearing a Red Sox jacket, the next scene a diff Red Sox jersey, the next scene its the TD Garden, the next scene a mention of the red sox losing a game....the next scene red sox getting a hit against the Yankees, the next their in Fenway and hes pointing at the last time they won a championship....like seriously... i couldnt take that.

Ben Affleck is a huge Boston Redsox fan. And i watched the movie last night...not fun at all. I dont get how complex the first robbery was and then the second one seemed spur of the moment. There were just too many facts being made in the film that I couldn't accept.

AlecEiffel
12-22-2010, 11:42 PM
So how about True Grit?!

rage patton
12-22-2010, 11:47 PM
So how about True Grit?!

Pretty great. A lot different than I was expecting though. I am not really sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't that. Either way, it was pretty damn great and I would recomend it. Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon were both fantastic. Strong acting from the little girl too.

El.C.Dub
12-23-2010, 02:46 AM
king's speech

yeahfontaine
12-23-2010, 10:29 AM
Check out Suspiria.

Oh, I love Suspiria but the 2 films are so different I didn't really equate them in my mind.

Rage, had you seen the original True Grit? It's one of my favorite movies so I'm scared I won't be able to move past that when seeing the Coens' version. I'm sure those two did a fantastic job, though. Glad to hear the new Mattie was effective, too.

Did you guys see the clip of the grown-up Kim Darby (the original Mattie Ross) on the Soup last week? Creepers.

TallGuyCM
12-23-2010, 11:02 AM
So I'm still pretty blown away after watching Amores perros last night. I read that it's been called the "Mexican Pulp Fiction", not sure I really agree with that (for one, the characters in this are much more endearing and easy to relate with. In all the times I've seen Pulp Fiction, I've never once found myself caring if Travolta or any of the other characters died). The inclusion of "Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress" by the Hollies in the last scene felt very Reservoir Dogs though, I'll give it that.

But yeah, I think the most amazing thing about the film was the fact that it was Iñárritu's debut. It seems like most directors' debuts are films that show promise, but don't really stand up against their later work. But this was something else.

Just curious, what are some other fantastic director debuts in y'all's minds?

bobert
12-23-2010, 11:11 AM

Blood Simple
Pi
Sex, Lies, and Videotape
Hard Eight
Badlands
Citizen Kane

paulb
12-23-2010, 11:15 AM
So I'm still pretty blown away after watching Amores perros last night. I read that it's been called the "Mexican Pulp Fiction", not sure I really agree with that (for one, the characters in this are much more endearing and easy to relate with. In all the times I've seen Pulp Fiction, I've never once found myself caring if Travolta or any of the other characters died). The inclusion of "Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress" by the Hollies in the last scene felt very Reservoir Dogs though, I'll give it that.

But yeah, I think the most amazing thing about the film was the fact that it was Iñárritu's debut. It seems like most directors' debuts are films that show promise, but don't really stand up against their later work. But this was something else.

Im glad you loved it man, I was blown away from the minute I saw it and is def one of my fav movies of all time...im still waiting for it to come out on Blu Ray over here...its available in the UK...

wmgaretjax
12-23-2010, 11:20 AM
awesome prompt Chris. Here are a few of my favorites (beyond some of the obvious ones like Godard, Truffaut, Lynch, Mallick etc.):

David Gordon Green - George Washington
Satyajit Ray - Pather Panchali
Shane Carruth - Primer
Pier Paulo Paosolini - Accatonne
Jean Vigo - L’Atalante
Charles Laughton - Night Of The Hunter
Charlie Kaufman - Synecdoche, NY
Ilya Khrjanovsky - 4
Alain Resnais - Hiroshima mon amour
Louis Malle - Elevator To The Gallows
Lynne Ramsay - Ratcatcher

yeahfontaine
12-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Duel
Following
Welcome to the Dollhouse
American Beauty
Being John Malkovich

yeahfontaine
12-23-2010, 11:24 AM
awesome prompt Chris. Here are a few of my favorites (beyond some of the obvious ones like Godard, Truffaut, Lynch, Mallick etc.):

David Gordon Green - George Washington
Satyajit Ray - Pather Panchali
Shane Carruth - Primer
Pier Paulo Paosolini - Accatonne
Jean Vigo - L’Atalante
Charles Laughton - Night Of The Hunter
Charlie Kaufman - Synecdoche, NY
Ilya Khrjanovsky - 4
Alain Resnais - Hiroshima mon amour
Louis Malle - Elevator To The Gallows
Lynne Ramsay - Ratcatcher

Oooh, Syndecdoche! Good one. Although I admit I still haven't figured that film out and I doubt I ever truly will.

And how could I forget Elevator to the Gallows? What an incredible first film. Just saw that a couple of months ago in our local arthouse theater. So cool seeing it on the big screen.

wmgaretjax
12-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Anyone that hasn't seen Accatonne or L’Atalante should get on that now. Two of the most important films ever imho.

TallGuyCM
12-23-2010, 11:34 AM
this is my first time posting in here since I have feared this thread would surely monopolize my life--uh-oh)

Welcome to exactly this happening. ;)

wmgaretjax
12-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Accatonne is available on watch instantly... so do it y'all.

TallGuyCM
12-23-2010, 11:39 AM
It's been added. At the moment it only has 301 other instant films competing with it. :(

AlecEiffel
12-23-2010, 11:49 AM

most of the bases have already been covered by others, but

The Evil Dead
Shaun of the Dead

schoolofruckus
12-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Favorite debut features not already listed (though George Washington, Pi, and others already listed would be included):

Buffalo '66 (Vincent Gallo)
Shadows (John Cassavetes)
Herostratus (Don Levy)
Bottle Rocket (Wes Anderson)
The Element of Crime (Lars von Trier)
Mala Noche (Gus Van Sant)
Bound (Wachowskis)
Gummo (Harmony Korine)
Japon (Carlos Reygadas)
Spanking the Monkey (David O. Russell)

schoolofruckus
12-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Oh shit - I forgot Hedwig and the Angry Inch and Tarnation.

sbessiso
12-23-2010, 12:01 PM
Pee-wee's Big Adventure

yeahfontaine
12-23-2010, 12:02 PM
Welcome to exactly this happening. ;)

Mmmmhm. I've noticed...

At least I'm on Christmas break and I have time to not only follow this thread but to actually watch some more films!

Down Rodeo
12-23-2010, 05:50 PM
Anyone that hasn't seen Accatonne or L’Atalante should get on that now. Two of the most important films ever imho.

I've been trying to see L'Atalante for years now, but it's not on Netflix. I need to track down a copy somewhere. And Accatonne is in my Instant queue too...

Great job on the directors' debuts everybody - I can't think of any more good choices to add that aren't obvious.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-23-2010, 06:01 PM
True Grit is fucking awesome.

ErikFlyingV
12-23-2010, 07:10 PM
True Grit is fucking awesome.

I just saw this. I have to say, I was not that impressed.

Don't get me wrong, it was well made, but I never got that into the characters or the story. From those who are praising it, what did you like about it?

I am a fan of westerns, but this film didn't really do it for me. Certain scenes I thought were done very well, and Brolin was great, but the rest just fell flat for me.

Not trying to start arguements, I'd just like to hear what other people thought about the film.

shermanoaksyo
12-23-2010, 08:37 PM
David O. Russell, thank you for being alive.

crumbduck
12-23-2010, 09:04 PM
I'm going to throw Danny Boyle's "Shallow Grave" into the ring for favorite debut features.

schoolofruckus
12-23-2010, 09:18 PM
David O. Russell, thank you for being alive.

He's still alive?

guedita
12-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Has anyone here seen White Material?

wmgaretjax
12-23-2010, 09:35 PM
no. i want to. i really enjoy Denis's films.

guedita
12-23-2010, 09:40 PM
I haven't seen anything other than Chocolat by Denis, but I love Isabelle Hupert and am very interested in the subject matter in this film. It's playing here in SF for a bit longer so I'm going to see it this Sunday I think.

Down Rodeo
12-24-2010, 07:53 AM
So I've been thinking back to films released earlier this year that could possibly make a year-end list and Mother and The Ghost Writer are undoubtedly deserving.

Down Rodeo
12-24-2010, 07:55 AM
Ah, I just thought of a great directorial debut:

Night of the Living Dead (George Romero)

yeahfontaine
12-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Ah, I just thought of a great directorial debut:

Night of the Living Dead (George Romero)

Yes yes yes.

Favorite quotes/moments, everyone?

bobert
12-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Thought of another couple really strong debuts.

In the Bedroom (Todd Field)
Away From Her (Sarah Polley)

wmgaretjax
12-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Yes to both of those. Larry Clark's Kids as well.

bobert
12-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Yes to both of those. Larry Clark's Kids as well.

Yep. Totally forgot about Kids. Also the best work Harmony Korine has done to date (probably a minority opinion around these parts.)

daxton
12-24-2010, 03:08 PM
Finally going to watch Inception tonight with pops. Or we'll watch the new Harry Potter. Either way, we're not watching alien sci-fi action spaceship crap like we usually do. Score!

Edit: It's not the new Harry Potter. It's Sorcerer's Apprentice with Nic Cage. God help me.

MissingPerson
12-24-2010, 05:34 PM
Read this page in reverse order, and my first thought was Bound by the Wachowskis.

choice cat
12-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Quick question, are there any theaters that will play older movies from time to time? Which one would you suggest going to?

A friend of mine that goes to NYU went to a midnight showing of Pulp Fiction a few months back, so I figured there were movie houses around here that probably do the same. I would appreciate your help!

schoolofruckus
12-24-2010, 08:02 PM
Glad you asked. The New Beverly (http://newbevcinema.com/calendar.cfm) is partially owned by Quentin Tarantino, so they do play Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, and all the rest at midnight screenings on a semi-regular basis. They also play a great selection of films throughout the ages.

Other places that play revival showings - all of these are great theaters that are worth supporting.

The Cinefamily (http://www.cinefamily.org)
Egyptian Theatre (American Cinematheque) (http://www.americancinematheque.com/mastercalendar.htm)
Aero Theatre (American Cinematheque) (http://www.americancinematheque.com/Aero/aeromastercalendar.htm)
LACMA (http://www.lacma.org/programs/FilmSeriesSchedule.aspx)
REDCAT (this tends to skew more towards experimental film and video art) (http://www.redcat.org/filmvideo-events)

ballroomdancer22
12-24-2010, 08:06 PM
'The Virgin Suicides' Sophia Coppola
'KIDS' Larry Clark
'Reservoir Dogs' Quentin Tarantino
'Following' Christopher Nolan

choice cat
12-24-2010, 08:28 PM
thank you very much for the info! And I'm tempted to go check out the Godfather this Sunday.

I was browsing around each of the websites and I found this on the American Cinematheque one, is it a Q&A or what?

"Thursday, January 6
7:30 PM THE TOWN & GONE BABY GONE with Ben Affleck in person"

schoolofruckus
12-24-2010, 08:32 PM
Almost certainly. All of those listed theaters frequently host Q&A's after the screenings.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-24-2010, 08:44 PM
Ooh, I haven't seen either of those and that would be awesome to see them with a Q&A with Ben.

Also, I just finished What We Do Is Secret, the biopic about The Germs, and I liked it a lot. Listening to the commentary now.

choice cat
12-24-2010, 08:54 PM
I haven't seen either and was thinking the same! If the movie listing isn't a working link though, does that mean it is not on sale yet or sold out?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-24-2010, 08:59 PM
Looks like it's not on sale yet.

choice cat
12-24-2010, 09:10 PM
Guess we'll just have to be on the lookout, I don't see any on-sale date.

rage patton
12-24-2010, 09:21 PM
Rage, had you seen the original True Grit? It's one of my favorite movies so I'm scared I won't be able to move past that when seeing the Coens' version. I'm sure those two did a fantastic job, though. Glad to hear the new Mattie was effective, too.

No, I have not seen the original True Grit. However, what I have heard is that this movie is based very closely off of the book and aside from the characters names and the basic storyline, it cannot be considered a remake of John Wayne's True Grit. So, don't go into the theatre expecting to see a remake.

rasooli
12-25-2010, 12:19 AM
I just saw Devil, which I thought was really good. I've always been a really big M Night fan and this was the best I've seen from him since The Village (Devil was only produced by M Night though). I would recommend this movie to any horror/thriller fan. I would give it a 9 out of 10.

schoolofruckus
12-25-2010, 04:12 AM
I haven't seen either and was thinking the same! If the movie listing isn't a working link though, does that mean it is not on sale yet or sold out?

Not necessarily. Click the Fandango link on that page and check it out.

malcolmjamalawesome
12-25-2010, 08:01 AM
I just saw Devil, which I thought was really good. I've always been a really big M Night fan and this was the best I've seen from him since The Village (Devil was only produced by M Night though). I would recommend this movie to any horror/thriller fan. I would give it a 9 out of 10.

You heard it here first. Devil gets a 9 out of 10.

AlecEiffel
12-25-2010, 09:14 AM
No, I have not seen the original True Grit. However, what I have heard is that this movie is based very closely off of the book and aside from the characters names and the basic storyline, it cannot be considered a remake of John Wayne's True Grit. So, don't go into the theatre expecting to see a remake.

I've seen both, the new one is a very direct remake of the original, nearly scene for scene and a pretty good amount of the dialog is exactly the same. They changed some things here and there, particularly in the third act that made the story stronger and the characters more heroic, but it is a very close remake.

rage patton
12-25-2010, 09:38 AM
Like I said, I haven't seen the original. I have just heard from others that this movie is very different in tone than the original. Just because a scene looks the same, doesn't mean it necessarily feels the same. I dunno. I plan on watching the original sometime soon though.

AlecEiffel
12-25-2010, 09:54 AM
I know, I wasn't try to call you out or anything, I was just trying to chime in as someone who's seen both. I think you'll be surprised by how similar the movies are, even in tone, they aren't really all that different. I do think the new one is better, and it's good to see Jeff Bridges play Rooster Cogburn rather than seeing John Wayne play John Wayne (or Jeff Bridges playing John Wayne, which would have been a mistake).

The tone of the newer one is more 'Coen' like in general of course, and there are some things that added or removed, some scenes that are pretty much the same but work better in the newer one. I do know what you're saying and I agree with you, but I think you'll also see what I mean once you watch the original.

guedita
12-25-2010, 09:58 AM
My only complaint about True Grit was that Mattie's face never gets dirty throughout her entire escapade. It remains suspiciously shining and clean.

Also every time I go to large AMC theaters or the like I am reminded of why I rarely go out to the movies. Some dude behind me let his phone ring three times without turning it off or on silent. He also shouted "A-HEY BOO BOO!" during one scene of the movie that references a bear.

chairmenmeow47
12-25-2010, 12:50 PM
loved true grit. loved the little girl. i have never seen the original. my dad's obsessed with john wayne though, and he felt the film to be sacreligious. his main complaint is that john wayne was a good horseman & had a relationship with his horse, and nothing like that was portrayed in this one. but my dad also used to be pretty good with horses and used to work on westerns, so i think he's a bit biased. i told him it at least looked "grittier" than most john wayne movies i've seen and didn't come off quite as light-hearted.

cara's right that damon doesn't get dirty enough. the rodeo clown line was my favourite.

TallGuyCM
12-25-2010, 04:04 PM
cara's right that damon doesn't get dirty enough.

lol she meant Mattie, the little girl in the movie, not Matt Damon.

ErikFlyingV
12-25-2010, 04:18 PM
I just watched Antichrist. On Christmas. With my sister and her boyfriend.

Oops.

Atleast I got to test the new blu ray though :)

paulb
12-25-2010, 09:32 PM
Antichrist on blu ray? No thank you.

chairmenmeow47
12-25-2010, 09:34 PM
all the matt sounding peoples were sans dirt. lame.

chairmenmeow47
12-25-2010, 09:34 PM
also, black hair is great.

daxton
12-25-2010, 09:37 PM
Just watched Inception finally. It was alright. Definitely wasn't blow away by any means. Got bored and started internetting while still trying to watch somewhat. I'm sure it would have been more impressive and attention holding in a theater. I just don't see what the big deal is. What's the big deal, guys?

bobert
12-25-2010, 09:42 PM
What's the big deal, guys?

It's a mind-blowing metaphor for the creative process. Did the top ever stop spinning? I don't know.

daxton
12-25-2010, 09:43 PM
Ok....I guess I just don't like metaphors. Maybe similies are more my thing?

also, black hair is great.

True story.

GnarVee
12-25-2010, 09:51 PM
READ THIS:

http://www.chud.com/articles/articles/24477/1/NEVER-WAKE-UP-THE-MEANING-AND-SECRET-OF-INCEPTION/Page1.html

and then give INCEPTION another shot

bobert
12-25-2010, 09:56 PM
READ THIS:

http://www.chud.com/articles/articles/24477/1/NEVER-WAKE-UP-THE-MEANING-AND-SECRET-OF-INCEPTION/Page1.html

and then give INCEPTION another shot

It was precisely this bloated reading of the film that I was attempting to mock. That said, I would agree that the reason the film was so popular is that it gave audiences something to think about after they left the theatre, rare for a summer action movie.

daxton
12-25-2010, 10:15 PM
Well...that article didn't really enlighten me to anything I didn't already know about the film. I can see that the subject matter might be deep for a summer action movie. Generally, though, not so deep thought provoking. Also, I should probably watch it again before I attempt to critique it. I missed bits and pieces.

SoulDischarge
12-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Saw True Grit. Liked it, didn't love it. In the end it felt like an enjoyable way to spend two hours, but didn't add up to anything too consequential. The actual "coon hunt" part of the film felt a bit too condensed. There wasn't enough time to establish all the inter-relationships and conflicts to the point where they came across as really meaningful and fully formed. I really do love how the Coens make Hollywood films though. Not many modern westerns would linger enough to let the scenery take on such a strong sense of place as this did in parts.

Down Rodeo
12-26-2010, 08:31 PM
Back to the director debut thing....I really want to say Terry Zwigoff's Crumb, but it looks like he made a documentary a decade before that.

bmack86
12-27-2010, 07:50 AM
I liked True Grit quite a bit. The theater I watched it in was frigid which was pretty excellent for setting the mood of the film. I thought all the actors did a bang up job and, unlike the original film, the girl who played Maddie could actually act. The ending was better in this one as well.

bobert
12-28-2010, 06:15 PM
There are few pleasures in the modern movie-going experience that rival the banter of Coen Brothers' dialogue. What I'd give to be a fly on the wall during one of their writing sessions.

bmack86
12-28-2010, 06:23 PM
They don't even have writing sessions. They just think at eachother and somehow movies come out.